Author Topic: Please share your triumph of the day  (Read 797922 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: Please share your triumph of the day
« Reply #600 on: February 11, 2015, 05:20:52 PM »

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #601 on: February 11, 2015, 09:14:05 PM »
Had a pretty great interview today. Probably the best hospital I've been invited to visit.

Just not sure moving 4 states north to another college town is my best move. Just  can't resist them cheap bars and trashy sorority sluts
dur

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #602 on: February 11, 2015, 09:28:03 PM »
I discovered Bustelo makes K-Cups so I've crashed every office I went to today with them.
Oh shit, gonna get some of those  :o

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #603 on: February 11, 2015, 09:35:08 PM »
You get 16 for ~8 bucks. Bodega living. :noah

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #604 on: February 11, 2015, 09:44:25 PM »
I read a Teffi story that was basically me irl. (It was "One of Us" in case you were wondering.)

The shocking climax of the story. :lawd

Connecting with people a hundred years ago. :lawd

Books. :rejoice

Ya, Last of Us was a pretty great story. The part with the giraffes made me cry errytime.
©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #605 on: February 12, 2015, 01:15:24 AM »
Ironically, "One of Us" is about two people reflecting upon how they're the last of something.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #606 on: February 12, 2015, 02:38:30 AM »
Starting a new project. Rate went up. Feeling pretty great.

Biggest triumph would be disentangling my professional livelihood from my self-worth but, hey, baby steps.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #607 on: February 12, 2015, 02:42:27 AM »
Starting a new project. Rate went up. Feeling pretty great.

Biggest triumph would be disentangling my professional livelihood from my self-worth but, hey, baby steps.
Sigh, yeah. :goty

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #608 on: February 12, 2015, 06:16:27 AM »
Was feeling shitty....went to bed at 7pm...woke up once at 10 to check Cav's score then slept until 5. Woke up feeling awesome and did a couple miles on the treadmill. Back to 100% for me.
YMMV

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #609 on: February 12, 2015, 06:19:49 PM »
Got my 4th YouTube subscriber today  8) :lol

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #610 on: February 13, 2015, 01:40:23 PM »
Let yourself have a good cry when you feel you can, brother. You were there, you did what you could, ebb and flow of life is relentless. Sending my love your way! If you want to take a detour north I'll show you a good time :brohug

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #611 on: February 13, 2015, 01:55:18 PM »
Found and am buying a nice condo :rock
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #612 on: February 13, 2015, 03:22:03 PM »
He still hasn't apologized. He interprets everything as an attack on him. he's the most toxic person I know, all he does is crap on people whenever he opens his mouth. I don't think there's anyone on earth i hate more right now. Gonna be hard.
I smell narcissism. Can't win this.

Huff

« Reply #613 on: February 13, 2015, 03:30:26 PM »
Theres some really good nursing homes out there that care about the residents and don't necessary mean a step down in the care of your grandpa.

But definitely research and ask around, as there are some extremely bad ones. Meet the director and some of the nurses to try and get a feel of the place.
dur

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #614 on: February 13, 2015, 04:13:02 PM »

What part of the city? I'm thinking about doing the same in a year or two.
yar

Kara

« Reply #615 on: February 13, 2015, 06:41:26 PM »
It sounds like your uncle has a cluster B disorder, not one of the bipolar disorders, Esch.

Anyway, what you did was admirable. Make the most of demobilization.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #616 on: February 13, 2015, 10:23:39 PM »

What part of the city? I'm thinking about doing the same in a year or two.

Out in Dunwoody, about 10 minutes from the Doraville and Chamblee stations.   If you know where the Farm Burger there is, it's close by.   We wanted to be in Sandy Springs but all the places in our price range were snapped right up.  This place would have been too-- we literally raced over there to see it and immediately put in an offer in minutes.  150k for a redone 1500 sq ft condo with all hardwood floors was too good to pass up!
ど助平

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #617 on: February 13, 2015, 10:28:24 PM »
Damn bub, you've had a rough year or so. Glad you're able to talk it out with a professional. Sucks to see your Poppy go to a nursing home, but he wouldn't have wanted you to have to take care of him and be a burden on your life. You're too young to be tied down. Hopefully you find some peace and can get on with your life.

Your uncle tho.... Wow. Bet he's hoping karma ain't real. From my experience, people like that will always be miserable, toxic assholes. Hang in there, and maybe have a back up plan for a place to stay.
(|)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #618 on: February 13, 2015, 10:48:12 PM »
*sends esch a powerful e-brohug*
pcp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #619 on: February 13, 2015, 11:10:10 PM »
Damn that sounds horrible, keep your head up Esch. It's amazing how you can see family members entirely differently based on how they react to family emergencies like that. When one of my grandma's died I remember my family driving from the hospital back to her apartment (she lived in a convalescent home run by a mega church), for closure and to settle some things she wanted us to handle. When we walked into her place we noticed it had basically been ransacked. Clothes and hangers were thrown around, food was out, dressers were open, etc. It looked like someone had robbed the place.

Turns out my aunt had come by with her kids and took most of my grandma's clothes and jewelry. My grandma was never really one of those old church ladies who dresses extravagantly but she had many nice dresses, earrings, etc; lots of older stuff she couldn't fit into anymore but still kept in her closets. She had specifically wanted my mom to handle most of her clothes, but my aunt got there first; she must have been ransacking the place while everyone else was at the fucking hospital. Needless to say my mom busted out crying when she saw the place completely trashed.

I haven't spoken or seen my aunt since my grandma's funeral. Part of me understands her behavior - my grandma had a rather contentious relationship with her daughters, but treated my mom with love and respect. I think her daughters (my aunts) were jealous. And the aunt who ransacked the place was the oldest child, so I'd imagine she felt she was owed that stuff. But...even if that's the case you don't trash your mom's place while she's on her deathbed in the hospital. Fuck that.

parallax

« Reply #620 on: February 13, 2015, 11:27:44 PM »
The last time I was there he hit one of my family members in a fit of rage. He's an ex kickboxing champion, weighs about 300 pounds. She was a woman.

He still hasn't apologized. He interprets everything as an attack on him. he's the most toxic person I know, all he does is crap on people whenever he opens his mouth. I don't think there's anyone on earth i hate more right now. Gonna be hard.

thats my aunt. a real piece of shit. when im around her i just try to swallow and deal, then find an outlet afterward

Gonna be 100% honest here. The person he hit was my mom. They were having an argument and my grandma (his own mother) got in the mix to try and break them up and he threatened her with an open hand, you know. And my mom got in the way and he ended up hitting her.

... I'm a mommas boy through and through.  This all happened when I was at the airport. If I was actually there, seen it happen? Dunno what I'd have done. I saw blood red the moment i heard about it. Dude threatened his own 80 year old mother with physical violence and then hit my mom, his sister. And he still hasn't apologized to my mom.  I just don't know if I can control my anger when I go. I'm fucking fuming just sitting here thinking about it.

oh shit. and hes your only option to stay with?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #621 on: February 13, 2015, 11:29:51 PM »
yea...I'd do anything to avoid him. Because that's some straight-to-the-bushes shit, no questions. Done.

Beezy

« Reply #622 on: February 13, 2015, 11:36:54 PM »
Wow Esch. I'm pissed off for you. Good luck keeping your cool around this dude.

parallax

« Reply #623 on: February 13, 2015, 11:38:49 PM »

And therein lies the kicker; my 80yo grandma who I suspect is slipping into dementia herself, exhausted with constantly tending to my grandfather asked me personally to help move her into my uncle's house and accompany my grandma.

Basically boils down to...I love her more than I hate him.

not much of a decision then.

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #624 on: February 14, 2015, 03:33:12 PM »
I said god damn.
(|)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #625 on: February 14, 2015, 08:10:31 PM »
Your uncle sounds like a total pussy and will probably try to avoid talking to you for the few days you're there , well at least based on my experience with these types.

My worry is how violent he gets when there's no other man around. A couple days ago, my parents got into an argument over money and how much my mother should be allowed to keep from my father's income and my dad went crazy, swerved all over the highway threatening to kill them all (my 7 year old brother was in the backseat)  and hit my mother several times in the mouth after they pulled over and she tried to dial 911. First thing she did when getting home was call me to come over for protection and I took pictures of her injuries and the car, and told my older brother in LA. We both encouraged her to finally  have him arrested and given a restraining order. The two of us have always said that my mother and little brother will never be safe in the same house as him and that there is no magical psychiatry pill that will change a person like that so the only solution is to cut ties.

I can't say that they're the same type of people but my father does get into violent tantrums and has a very fragile ego. I would try talking to your mother/grandmother about any fears you have about your grandmother living with him especially as she has no physical defense against him.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #626 on: February 14, 2015, 09:50:45 PM »

And therein lies the kicker; my 80yo grandma who I suspect is slipping into dementia herself, exhausted with constantly tending to my grandfather asked me personally to help move her into my uncle's house and accompany my grandma.

Basically boils down to...I love her more than I hate him.

not much of a decision then.

Yea. Just move her in and don't even acknowledge him outside of a cursory greeting upon entering his place. Tend to your grandmother as long as you need to, then bounce.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #627 on: February 15, 2015, 04:55:52 PM »
girlfriend wanted to cap off the v-day weekend with seeing Kingsman which was awesommme. damn good weekend.
nat

Oblivion

« Reply #628 on: February 15, 2015, 06:23:44 PM »
Came back from the gym, and I've been (for the most part) killing it! The past two weeks I have been more diligent and made more progress than at any point probably since I started. :rock

Kara

« Reply #629 on: February 15, 2015, 09:02:46 PM »
The cool thing about being a meticulous user of honorifics is that when you want to insult someone while maintaining an air of plausible deniability you just have to use the wrong honorific.

The person I did this to today got so ragemad about it that I practically gaslighted them. :lawd

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #630 on: February 15, 2015, 10:57:40 PM »
Come on, give us more details. Setting, context, quotes, etc sir.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #631 on: February 16, 2015, 01:09:25 AM »
"Don't get so dokidoki, I put the papers on your desk this afternoon, Boss-kun."
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #632 on: February 16, 2015, 01:44:25 AM »
Well I always call Khrushchev "Comrade-Commissar Khrushchev" but today when I sent a communique to Comrade-Generalissimus Stalin about fascist troop deployments I only referred to him as Comrade Khrushchev, knowing that he has a keen eye for detail and would notice my subtle insult, the capitalist roader. Next thing I know he's barging into the radio tent, banging one of his shoes on a lectern and telling me that he's going to bury me. Someone needs a Siberian holiday, if you catch my drift.

Kara

« Reply #633 on: February 16, 2015, 11:58:32 PM »
Someone tried to quasi-subtly threaten me by saying I should make sure someone could give me blood should I need it.

I'm AB+.

Huff

« Reply #634 on: February 17, 2015, 10:48:26 AM »
O+ brah.

Got your back
dur

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #635 on: February 17, 2015, 10:57:36 AM »
O+ here too.
YMMV

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #636 on: February 17, 2015, 11:49:16 AM »
I think I'm AB+ too, don't remember.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #637 on: February 17, 2015, 12:29:34 PM »
I don't remember my blood type but the Red Cross always calls me saying they're in dire need of my blood. I need to set up an appointment soon.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #638 on: February 17, 2015, 12:40:10 PM »
I don't remember my blood type but the Red Cross always calls me saying they're in dire need of my blood. I need to set up an appointment soon.

Your blood type is Dick+
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #639 on: February 17, 2015, 12:42:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's a marketing thing. Even the blood types they have in heavy stock still get calls about how dire the need is.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #640 on: February 17, 2015, 12:44:55 PM »
AB+ master race reporting

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #641 on: February 17, 2015, 01:33:32 PM »
Red color represent.
©ZH

Kara

« Reply #642 on: February 17, 2015, 01:43:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's a marketing thing. Even the blood types they have in heavy stock still get calls about how dire the need is.

In uni every time someone would stop me on my way to class and ask me if I'd be willing to give blood I'd tell them no thanks, I was AB+ and they'd look at me as if I was from Mars.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #643 on: February 18, 2015, 07:00:43 PM »
Just found out one of my projects I ran is a finalist for an award.
Funny thing though, no one told me. I found out about it by people saying "Hey congrats!" and I was just like "Hey...you too!" not knowing what they were talking about. A few hours later, I found out why.
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #644 on: February 19, 2015, 12:16:34 AM »
Hey, congrats.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #645 on: February 19, 2015, 05:44:34 AM »
This morning: The designs I submitted yesterday but were not well-liked were suddenly well-liked and became central to the pitch effort today. :woot

This afternoon: The mock-ups I thought would baffle me are becoming stunningly easy to generate.

This evening: Cooked dinner, replicating a quinoa salad I had two years ago and couldn’t stop eating. (My kids will hate it.)

Right now: Drinking cognac from a snifter.

:rock

Huff

« Reply #646 on: February 19, 2015, 11:45:46 AM »
Ate some special cookies last night. Now I'm getting drunk at a airport bar. Maybe I'll make it to my interview tomorrow
dur

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #647 on: February 19, 2015, 06:58:31 PM »
Finished the biggest presentation of my career.
Finally, it's over.
que

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #648 on: February 20, 2015, 09:37:20 AM »
Wife and kids are out of town for at least 2 nights. Time to paint this town red! :phil

spoiler (click to show/hide)
By sitting at home getting my seasonal character leveled in Diablo III. :fbm
[close]
©ZH

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #649 on: February 20, 2015, 09:39:18 AM »

I have a set plan for when my wife/kids are out of town

1) Go out with friends and drink a lot of booze.
2) Eat bad food when I get home
3) Insult the bore
4) Profit
YMMV

Brehvolution

« Reply #650 on: February 20, 2015, 09:43:27 AM »
 I went out last night with a buddy to a Japanese steakhouse. He also has a gifted green thumb and got me all set up for the weekend. :mynicca
©ZH

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #651 on: February 20, 2015, 09:45:40 AM »
I went out last night with a buddy to a Japanese steakhouse. He also has a gifted green thumb and got me all set up for the weekend. :mynicca

:ufup

=

=

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:53:38 AM by Am_I_Anonymous »
YMMV

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #652 on: February 20, 2015, 10:02:23 AM »
I don't see how he fucked up in anyway, sir.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #653 on: February 20, 2015, 10:10:46 AM »
I don't see how he fucked up in anyway, sir.

He didn't ha ha. I just wonder if his friend's green thumb is as good as my handy mans.
YMMV

Brehvolution

« Reply #654 on: February 20, 2015, 10:27:20 AM »
They both cut good grass. One does it outside, the other does it inside. :shaq
©ZH

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #655 on: February 20, 2015, 02:41:18 PM »
I have a big presentation meeting tomorrow with a rather high end client.

Hopefully things go well or I'm going to be stressed out of my mind for the next few weeks...
The meeting went well.  :rejoice

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #656 on: February 20, 2015, 03:20:59 PM »
Won $30 on the VLT at lunch! :rejoice

Don't usually play those things, but it's a slow Friday and I'm bored

Kara

« Reply #657 on: February 21, 2015, 12:06:49 AM »
Fifty Shades has a "now a major motion picture" cover. Welcome to the book ghetto, Fifty. :mynicca

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #658 on: February 21, 2015, 10:39:18 AM »
Fifty Shades has a "now a major motion picture" cover. Welcome to the book ghetto, Fifty. :mynicca

I like that you're welcoming a book which started off as a "happy ending masseuse house" to the ghetto. The book was born there.

Kara

« Reply #659 on: February 21, 2015, 01:42:58 PM »
Fanny Hill is a Penguin Classic, one day Fifty might be too. :-*