Author Topic: Official Thread of Flogging the Log: A Place for Better Random Talk  (Read 558940 times)

cool breeze

Re: Official Thread of Flogging the Log: A Place for Better Random Talk
« Reply #1560 on: December 18, 2009, 12:38:56 AM »
my condolences, hsmp

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #1561 on: December 18, 2009, 12:56:20 AM »
:'(
Drunk

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1562 on: December 18, 2009, 03:32:18 AM »
A family member of mine uploaded portraits of their daughter (and of themselves). The images were obviously printscreen'ed and uploaded with a large watermark. They've also made it their profile picture. What in the world, that's just ghetto.

Edit: Actually read this page and missed your post HSMP. My condolences.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 03:57:07 AM by BlueTsunami »
:9

ch1nchilla

« Reply #1563 on: December 18, 2009, 03:48:15 AM »
My condolences, HSMP :(

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1564 on: December 18, 2009, 07:22:53 AM »
Think my video card shit the bed :'(

Anyone have some donors lying around?
fat

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1565 on: December 18, 2009, 08:54:53 AM »
I'm on vacation until the 28th.  Fuck yeah.

Also, stay strong HSMP :(
🍆🍆

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1566 on: December 18, 2009, 09:26:10 AM »
Think my video card shit the bed :'(

Anyone have some donors lying around?
AGP or PCI-E ?
©ZH

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1567 on: December 18, 2009, 09:28:31 AM »
PCI-E

Was using an 8800GT

I'm actually using it now (VGA), but there are streaks running across my monitor, and on bootup its all garbled to shit.
fat

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1568 on: December 18, 2009, 09:37:04 AM »
Shoot. I only have an AGP.
©ZH

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #1569 on: December 18, 2009, 09:41:06 AM »
someone on GAF was selling four GTX 275's for $170 each. Sweet deal, I'll look for the link

*here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18900160&postcount=19858
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 09:43:49 AM by Kestastrophe »
jon

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1570 on: December 18, 2009, 09:52:11 AM »
What's the power requirements for a card that beastly? Shit looks bigger and thicker than my cock. And I have a pretty average cock.
fat

Kestastrophe

« Reply #1571 on: December 18, 2009, 09:58:08 AM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130478&cm_re=gtx_275_evga-_-14-130-478-_-Product

According to Newegg, its 550v minimum. And yeah, its pretty beastly in size, you would have to make sure you have the space in your case. I would have jumped on this deal if my 9800GT were outdated. It retails for almost twice the price that he's asking
jon

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1572 on: December 18, 2009, 10:03:54 AM »
I dont think I can run that. I'll probably just go on ebay and get a replacement 8800GT
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #1573 on: December 18, 2009, 11:12:51 AM »
how much are you willing to spend for an 8800gt?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1574 on: December 18, 2009, 11:13:38 AM »
Depends how used it is. I bought this one from Arde0 last year for about $50 I think, EVGA 512MB
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #1575 on: December 18, 2009, 11:24:05 AM »
Well, how much would you be willing to pay for one that's 99% new?

The story is basically that I bought an 8800gt around two years ago, didn't realize my motherboard at the time was trash and didn't even have pci-e, and the card was only used to look at the connections required.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1576 on: December 18, 2009, 11:37:47 AM »
I'd give you upwards to $70 maybe. Considering you can get a much beastier card for double that. That seems to be going price on ebay as well.

Let me know, I'm definitely interested.
fat

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1577 on: December 18, 2009, 12:53:24 PM »
Update to my story:

What happened dude, why the rage?

I really don't know.  Maybe that is where the therapy would come in at.  I'm at a good paying job but for some reason, I feel the need to keep shooting myself in the foot.  I didn't really screw up on any of the work but my people skills with my co-workers suffered greatly.  They still do stuff for me on occasion but I can hear them talking...

Which sucks because I never really had problems with people I worked with until this job, my first career job.  Yet I am all too willing to firebomb my career with the company.  Management definitely notices but at the same time, I received a raise, bonus pay, and great reviews.  Which puzzles me a bit but I came to that realization yesterday and it was very sobering.  I feel like a complete piece of shit and I'm not sure if I can resurrect things to the way they were at the beginning.  I'll do my best to try but if I can't, I understand completely.

It's good that you're recognizing that stuff before it gets out of hand.  Maybe you can apologize to your co-workers?  If that's awkward, then just start doing little things for the people you think are the most pissed.  If you can calm down and fly straight for a few weeks, it'll be back to normal.

I apologized to the one who seemed the most pissed.  We talked for 20 minutes about various things.  We were all pretty chatty about stuff but I wasn't invited to lunch with the rest of the group  :-\  Yes, I have become that guy.

I guess there is the job transfer but it is a demotion (maybe a $8000-9000 pay cut) and I have crippling student loan debt from stupid and shitty financial decisions ($80,000).  I have nearly $20,000 in savings.  My plan might be to "live off of the savings" so to speak and put down entire paychecks towards the debt until I can get it down to more manageable levels.  The pay cut will sting because that would effectively put off paying them off for another couple of years.  The interest on my student loans are fantastic (3.1%) so if there is an opportunity to pay off as much principal as I can, now would be the time to do it before interest rates surge (if they do)

On the other hand, if I keep my job, I keep my current salary (including my new raise) but I'm in an isolated area with nothing to do and co-workers who want little to do with me.  I always had a lot of friends and never really experienced the cold shoulder before.  At first, I didn't care but as other BS kept piling up, those little rejections here and there are taking a toll.

The student loan debt is the biggest factor here.  I don't mind a pay cut but the loans man, the loans... :'(

My best strategy is to take the pay cut, start with a clean slate, hope to hell my parents will let me live with them for a few months, live off of the savings nest egg and start putting down entire paychecks towards the loans.  Then find my own place and taper off the loan payments as since they are consolidated, I can pay off little chunks of the loan so my minimums are reduced.

I've never hit this low in my life to be honest, which explains the whining.

Just needed to rant for a bit.
I'm pretty sure that's the main point of this thread anyway.

If you were really inappropriate, there's going to be repercussions, and setting things right is going to take time. It might be good practice for you? What about getting professional help, and working it through?

Going back to your parents to take a pay cut and postpone paying off your loans doesn't sound like the most progressive plan available.

Apparently I won't take a pay cut if I were to get the job.  I had this confirmed yesterday.

I agree with you on the rest.  I understand that it takes time to get out of the hole I dug myself in and I'm fine with doing what it takes.  The job transfer was something independent of the situation entirely though.  I'm not exactly bailing out the job.  As for profession help, I want to take it but I'm just seeing where the job goes, what my insurance covers on that front, etc.

You make a lot of good points.  I have a lot of savings I'm going to live off of and put down entire paychecks towards the debt until I get to a point where I need to "refill" my savings up again.  I put in some effort to mend a lot of work relationships and they all worked well.  I understand it takes time and if the transfer falls through, I'm willing to put in the work.

Thanks for the advice.
🍆🍆

Kestastrophe

« Reply #1578 on: December 18, 2009, 01:02:26 PM »
Demi, take a look at this too: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1710440
Its a mail-in rebate, which kinda sucks, but the card is slightly better than your old one.

T EXP: I apologize for the confusion, but did you get demoted or face a forced transfer? Sorry, I couldn't tell from your post. That sucks about possibly having burned some bridges, but I doubt its beyond repair. In fact, if you own up (which it sounds like that's what you've started doing) to your past mistakes, I bet your coworkers will have even more respect for you.

HSMP: sorry about your dad  :'(
jon

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1579 on: December 18, 2009, 01:04:48 PM »
If I can get the 8800 for cheaper from swaggaz i'd rather dothat. i'm not interested in PC gaming to concern wih upgrading anything.
fat

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1580 on: December 18, 2009, 01:06:43 PM »
T EXP: I apologize for the confusion, but did you get demoted or face a forced transfer? Sorry, I couldn't tell from your post. That sucks about possibly having burned some bridges, but I doubt its beyond repair. In fact, if you own up (which it sounds like that's what you've started doing) to your past mistakes, I bet your coworkers will have even more respect for you.

HSMP: sorry about your dad  :'(

I didn't get demoted - the transfer would almost be like a demotion.  It wasn't forced.  This shit is all coincidental.  Yeah, I imagine any damage I made wasn't permanent and I probably even overblown it a bit but this is my career so I'm going to through my work experience so far with a fine toothcomb to see what I did right and wrong.

Thanks for your words.  I'm learning.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 01:09:58 PM by T EXP »
🍆🍆

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1581 on: December 18, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
I woke up with my hair standing up three inches and then falling straight back.  If I painted my face white an wore a head dress right now I would be the spitting image of queen amidala with a beard.

cool breeze

« Reply #1582 on: December 18, 2009, 03:05:27 PM »
I'd give you upwards to $70 maybe. Considering you can get a much beastier card for double that. That seems to be going price on ebay as well.

Let me know, I'm definitely interested.

$70 is fine (total, so including shipping).  If you're still interested, PM info.

btw, just total more info/random numbers on the box:  It's XFX 8800gt "alpha dog edition" 512mb DDR3 600mhz core.  Everything from the box is there too, like the component video output adapter and Company of Heroes on CDs.

Bebpo

« Reply #1583 on: December 18, 2009, 03:37:36 PM »
THERE GOES DOWN ANOTHER SEMESTER OF SCHOOL BY THE MAN
FIGHT THE POWER :rock :rock :rock
BY BECOMING THE POWER :rock :rock :rock

/going to see Avatarrrrrrrrr (god, please don't suck)

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #1584 on: December 18, 2009, 03:38:49 PM »
stay strong HSMP.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1585 on: December 18, 2009, 03:53:54 PM »
My condolences HSMP, hang in there :(

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1586 on: December 18, 2009, 04:24:47 PM »
My condolences, HSMP.

My father passed away in May.  He was an alcoholic as well that I didn't have that great of a relationship with either.  So I can definitely relate.  Everything will get easier and those feelings of wishing you had a better relationship will ease.  Those are definitely the worst part.  Whatever happened between you two, he knew deep down that you cared about him.  Otherwise you wouldn't argue so much about trying to help him.  Take care, man and keep your head up.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1587 on: December 18, 2009, 07:29:28 PM »
best wishes Hitler.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #1588 on: December 18, 2009, 10:02:45 PM »
The average Canadian girl between the ages of three and eleven receives two Barbie dolls per year.  :S

Bebpo

« Reply #1589 on: December 19, 2009, 12:14:38 AM »
The average Canadian girl between the ages of three and eleven receives two Barbie dolls per year.  :S

context

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #1590 on: December 19, 2009, 12:29:01 AM »

context

It was just a fact listed by the Supreme Court of Canada in Mattel v. 3894207. It had nothing to do with the case, but I thought it was startling.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1591 on: December 19, 2009, 12:35:11 AM »
why is that startling?

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1592 on: December 19, 2009, 12:36:12 AM »
Because all this time, Malek has only been giving them one Barbie doll per year. :'(
PSP

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1593 on: December 19, 2009, 12:37:30 AM »
How sad for those 3-11 yearolds he keeps in his dungeon!   What a deprived life!

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #1594 on: December 19, 2009, 12:41:01 AM »
They'll play with the transformers or else.

Robo

« Reply #1595 on: December 19, 2009, 12:42:47 AM »
Or else they gets the hose again.
obo

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #1596 on: December 19, 2009, 12:45:51 AM »
I like how I became a pedo with a dungeon. There's no continuity! Evilbore has turned into Family Guy.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #1597 on: December 19, 2009, 01:16:40 AM »
WTF?  My mousewheel isn't working.  I feel like someone chopped a few of my fingers off.
QED

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1598 on: December 19, 2009, 01:19:59 AM »
I feel like i'm stuck in a rut and have no place to go in my life. I don't know what I want to do, I don't have any money, no car, no job, a broken leg, and i'm stuck in east bumfuck. The worst part of this all is seeing friends are succeeding and all this junk and i'm stuck and can't see them.

How did you guys find out what you wanted to do in life or stuff? I think I need to decide and soon.
USA

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1599 on: December 19, 2009, 01:31:44 AM »
I like how I became a pedo with a dungeon. There's no continuity! Evilbore has turned into Family Guy.

That reminds me of that time when I kidnapped Gary Coleman and brought him to my dungeon where I dipped his head in my jumbo size cotton candy machine until his head was covered completely with cotton candy and then I licked it off slowly and when I ate enough to see his his fear-stricken face, I said "tell anyone and I kill you" and then let him go.

Kestastrophe

« Reply #1600 on: December 19, 2009, 07:58:52 AM »
associating with Methodis is not how you become a better poster  :wag
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 08:04:08 AM by Kestastrophe »
jon

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #1601 on: December 19, 2009, 08:55:01 AM »
Hey methodis at least you are not stuck in a fucking third world country.
Drunk

cool breeze

« Reply #1602 on: December 19, 2009, 10:40:22 AM »
It's snowing hard right now and some guy out my window is doing figure 8s with his SUV in a parking log.  It's awesome.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1603 on: December 19, 2009, 10:53:27 AM »
Come teach in Korea, Methodis.

I'm black so I could see that being a problem, but good suggestion, thanks. :D

Hey methodis at least you are not stuck in a fucking third world country.

That is quite true.
USA

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1604 on: December 19, 2009, 10:04:17 PM »
I went to Red Lobster today. Shit is so ghetto now. I paid 23 bucks for the ultimate feast. It's like half the size as it used to be. :(
nat

Brehvolution

« Reply #1605 on: December 19, 2009, 10:20:53 PM »
ffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I just got a RL gift card today and usually get the ultimate feast.  :(

And $23 :maf

Used to be $18 :wtf
©ZH

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #1606 on: December 19, 2009, 11:39:05 PM »
Cute Girl  :heart

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #1607 on: December 19, 2009, 11:47:35 PM »
Uh, you can't nickname a girl Cute Girl.  That is like naming your cat Kitty.
QED

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1608 on: December 19, 2009, 11:50:21 PM »
:lol
AMC

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1609 on: December 19, 2009, 11:55:41 PM »

I like kitty.
fat

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #1610 on: December 19, 2009, 11:58:18 PM »

Does "Brunette Sarah Michelle Gellar with a Smaller Nose" work? 

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #1611 on: December 20, 2009, 12:05:24 AM »
I only had a break-out because of three sleepless nights. The acne is fading fast now.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #1612 on: December 20, 2009, 12:07:49 AM »

smh.  you peaked with flannel girl.  cute girl is a total yawn-fest so far.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #1613 on: December 20, 2009, 12:10:16 AM »

smh.  you peaked with flannel girl.  cute girl is a total yawn-fest so far.

At least Cute Girl/Brunette Sarah Michelle Gellar with a Smaller Nose knows that I exist.

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #1614 on: December 20, 2009, 12:10:57 AM »
You should give them more fanciful nicknames.  For this one I nominate "Desdemona".
QED

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #1615 on: December 20, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »
You should give them more fanciful nicknames.  For this one I nominate "Desdemona".

I think I should call her Unobtainium.  :'(

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1616 on: December 20, 2009, 12:14:50 AM »
Cute Girl  :heart

what happened?  Did she point out your use of an oxford comma on the message boards?

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #1617 on: December 20, 2009, 12:15:30 AM »
Which girl is the one who reamed you on a law message board?

Unobtainium/Cute Girl/Brunette Sarah Michelle Gellar with a Smaller Nose

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #1618 on: December 20, 2009, 12:15:58 AM »
-um is a neuter suffix, though.  I'm not sure what Freudian, or perhaps feminist-critical-theory, insights that invites.

Link to the legal board reaming?  Also, do you think there'd be a market for litigation support software with integrated online dating features?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:17:41 AM by recursivelyenumerable »
QED

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #1619 on: December 20, 2009, 12:16:15 AM »
At least Cute Girl/Brunette Sarah Michelle Gellar with a Smaller Nose knows that I exist.

see, this is the type of shit I'm talking about.  there's no intrigue here.  Imagine pitching "cute girl" at a board meeting.  you'd have your shit in a box before noon.

come back when you've got an angle.