Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 147663 times)

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #1440 on: October 20, 2022, 08:50:02 PM »
Long article, but lots of culture-war-ish stuff and polarization. And it comes down to the college educated vs non educated.

How the diploma divide is remaking America's divisions
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022/10/education-polarization-diploma-divide-democratic-party-working-class.html
^_^

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1441 on: October 20, 2022, 10:55:12 PM »
Yo that h3 guy is 37? :kobeyuck
This is what changing your entire personality to avoid ever "punching down" with a joke again does to you.

I don't know what the fuck happened to this guy

originally the only thing I knew him for was the Hugh Mungus saga, where he supported and laughed along with a chungus dad who ultimate triggered a hyper-sensitive lady named zarna joshi

she asked him his name he replied "I'm hugh...mungus" and she flipped out chasing him around screaming "HUMONGOUS WOT???" and went to nearby police and accused him of sexually harassing her because the only thing he could be referring to was his penis

:social

and it turned out the poor guy had medical bills and h3h3 got his community to band together and help him out and interviewed him and a good time was had by all

now h3h3 is like, fuckin weird? complete 180 from having fun?
Uncle

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1442 on: October 20, 2022, 11:40:48 PM »
I don't know what the fuck happened to this guy

originally the only thing I knew him for was the Hugh Mungus saga, where he supported and laughed along with a chungus dad who ultimate triggered a hyper-sensitive lady named zarna joshi
He made a big deal about taking down his videos with Jordan Peterson but yet these are still up on his account...

benjipwns

« Reply #1443 on: October 21, 2022, 12:03:50 AM »
I just don't feel safe knowing that a person who profited off of platforming a cishet white man for violently attacking a woman of color trying to speak against her oppressors is not being held accountable. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences. H3H3 should be in prison. And we should lose the key with our whole damn chest.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
:O

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #1446 on: October 21, 2022, 12:52:24 PM »
"I'm not an anti-semite because I'm Jewish" is usually a pretty sound defense. It makes less sense though when you're also accusing another Jew of being an anti-semite.

(Fuck Shapiro though)

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1447 on: October 21, 2022, 01:01:57 PM »
they should have a soy slap fight in the holy land to see who is the one true jew :money
(ice)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1449 on: October 21, 2022, 01:25:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/iansaint_/status/1583507726943932418

The culture war will go into absolute overdrive once Musk buys Twitter and unleashes the Trump like a sort of Hulk monster on unsuspecting journalists.  :lol
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #1450 on: October 21, 2022, 03:33:59 PM »
https://twitter.com/h3h3productions/status/1583208694468050944

:pika
"I'm not an anti-semite because I'm Jewish" is usually a pretty sound defense. It makes less sense though when you're also accusing another Jew of being an anti-semite.
You'd think a guy who spends all his time on Twitter in these slap fights would be more familiar with the term Kapo since everyone throws it around at any ally who steps out of line.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1451 on: October 21, 2022, 05:59:01 PM »
https://twitter.com/JortsTheCat/status/1582252627143708673

Barely hanging trying to understand this whole situation. Some lady uses a grocery delivery service to make a point about… men unable to buy groceries? She drives to the grocery to check on the guy to complain? It leads to the simple question of why not go to the grocery in the first place. That lead to a deluge of weirdos calling the question ableist. Some about how we’re in the middle of a pandemic. Then there’s another pocket discourse on exploiting sub-minimum wage workers. I don’t know anymore.

https://twitter.com/Bowsnonk/status/1583543962052108288

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1452 on: October 21, 2022, 06:02:06 PM »
Lot of people look real stupid getting on the Kanye bandwagon for "free speech" only for it to end like this. Dropped by Balenciaga, likely about to be dropped by Adidas, apologizing, etc. Also highlights that a lot of this shit is and has always been a movement to bring hate speech into the public square. It's not about "free speech" - which has nothing to do with non-government entities anyway. It has everything to do with folks who just want to say the n-word, attack Jews, etc.

Himu

« Reply #1453 on: October 21, 2022, 06:06:27 PM »
I honestly haven't paid attention to the Kanye thing because the "Kanye thing" is so widespread at this point. He's been running his mouth for months and  I have no idea what he said that has done him in. Did he do the dumb black hebrew israelite "Black folks are the real Jews" thing?
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1454 on: October 21, 2022, 06:21:27 PM »
Ye said George Floyd was killed by Fentanyl and the cop didn't have his knee like that.

Ye called out JP Morgan and other bankers

Ye called out the jewish owned media and banks

Ye called Joe Biden "fucking r*tarded" for not meeting with Elon Musk

Ye called out George Soros

Ye basically went full filler  :lol
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 06:26:01 PM by Nintex »
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1455 on: October 21, 2022, 06:32:18 PM »
I honestly haven't paid attention to the Kanye thing because the "Kanye thing" is so widespread at this point. He's been running his mouth for months and  I have no idea what he said that has done him in. Did he do the dumb black hebrew israelite "Black folks are the real Jews" thing?

He got pretty close to saying it

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1456 on: October 21, 2022, 06:47:16 PM »
I'm so glad Kanye is just a sideshow to the Kardashians over here.
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1457 on: October 21, 2022, 07:09:00 PM »
Lot of people look real stupid getting on the Kanye bandwagon for "free speech" only for it to end like this. Dropped by Balenciaga, likely about to be dropped by Adidas, apologizing, etc. Also highlights that a lot of this shit is and has always been a movement to bring hate speech into the public square. It's not about "free speech" - which has nothing to do with non-government entities anyway. It has everything to do with folks who just want to say the n-word, attack Jews, etc.

hasn't it always been in the public square and this would be more about maintaining that ability instead of shutting it down?

like just thinking of the old internet and how common it was to say f@g and r-tard casually
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #1459 on: October 21, 2022, 07:23:09 PM »

He got pretty close to saying it

(Image removed from quote.)

Nah he wasn't close. He full on said it. Smh

Listen. If black folks are Jews why we so bad with money?

SMH. The George Floyd thing is full on gross. We got video!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1460 on: October 21, 2022, 07:28:08 PM »
I was on discord the other day and dude in a server said in Hebrew school he went to Jewish comedy class. Jewish folks run things because they protect their own and pass down knowledge and wisdom. You gotta give em dap for that. Imagine. A class on the comedy of your forebears. What wonderful people. We should be doing everything in our power to emulate them. Subhanallah.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #1461 on: October 21, 2022, 07:32:07 PM »
It just keeps happening:
https://twitter.com/gleocbc/status/1580303138401026049

This one comes with a bonus:
Turpel-Lafond was targeted for hire at Dalhousie University in part because of her Indigenous ancestry.

In a 1990 interview published in the book Dalhousie Law School — An Oral History, then-professor Faye Woodman noted that in the 1980s, the law school began an aggressive and successful affirmative-action campaign to hire female professors. That success prompted Woodman to exclaim “the thing that impresses me most about the law school is the program of affirmative action.”

However, she noted, “for Aboriginal people and Black people, it is a dismal situation, right across Canada.” Woodman said this prompted the university to target “two Aboriginal women” for hire: Patricia Monture and Mary Ellen Turpel.

“We worked very hard as an appointments committee to encourage them to come,” Woodman recalled. “We coaxed them and tried to persuade them in every way that we could think.”

Turpel-Lafond started work as a law professor at Dalhousie on July 1, 1989.

It was around that time that claims were made in print that she had earned an S.J.D. from Harvard. (An S.J.D., or doctorate of juridical science, is essentially equivalent to a PhD.)

For example, in 1991, Turpel-Lafond was listed as a consultant on a report commissioned by the federal government about Indigenous people and criminal justice. Her listing in that report said she had earned an S.J.D.

A 1995 advertisement in the University of Toronto Bulletin for Turpel-Lafond’s upcoming on-campus lecture on Indigenous issues also said she had been awarded an S.J.D., as did multiple newspaper stories during this period.

Turpel-Lafond’s 2018 UBC CV, which she personally submitted as evidence to the MMIWG inquiry, says she was awarded an S.J.D. in 1990.

However, Turpel-Lafond wasn’t awarded the S.J.D. until June 1997, long after she began claiming to have it. After CBC presented Turpel-Lafond with this information, she acknowledged CBC was correct.

Himu

« Reply #1462 on: October 21, 2022, 07:37:09 PM »
Reminds me of my dad and native American bloodline. Said grandma had native American blood my whole life and got his DNA test back and he didn't have a lick, a Cherokee, or a Ojibwe. Natives seem to be the original black people - everybody wanna be native but nobody wants to BE native.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #1463 on: October 21, 2022, 07:40:40 PM »
I was on discord the other day and dude in a server said in Hebrew school he went to Jewish comedy class. Jewish folks run things because they protect their own and pass down knowledge and wisdom. You gotta give em dap for that. Imagine. A class on the comedy of your forebears. What wonderful people. We should be doing everything in our power to emulate them. Subhanallah.

Himu

« Reply #1464 on: October 21, 2022, 07:45:11 PM »
Since Jewish folks are so good with money and passing down their wisdom they would make so much bank charging for workshops on getting secrets of their craft and how than do thangs. 100 dollar workshop on how to save money better. Call it Schooling the Goyim :lawd

See this is how Jerry Seinfeld got started. An A in storytelling, an A+ in Jewish comedy, a B in math, B in Hebrew Torah Studies.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #1465 on: October 21, 2022, 07:56:12 PM »
The cheating at chess with anal beads guy is now filing a frivolous $100 million defamation suit:
https://twitter.com/HansMokeNiemann/status/1583164606029365248

for those inclined, long two part Twitter thread going through the multiple issues with the filing

Himu

« Reply #1466 on: October 21, 2022, 08:08:27 PM »
Cheating in chess with anal beads? What did I say about the gay agenda? They've infiltrated the oldest game as well!
IYKYK

Polident Hive

« Reply #1467 on: October 21, 2022, 08:23:52 PM »
Trying to make sense of Ye’s ranting is a lost cause. But part of his rant is about jewish people owning/producing black artists. He goes onto to say why isn’t there the reverse with black people owning/producing jewish artists. Later he brags about being the richest black person ever. Man’s in the position to do that. Instead he’s wasting on this uncredited cult school project  ???

benjipwns

« Reply #1468 on: October 21, 2022, 08:25:29 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
No, this isn't a bit, he says he's serious and has been going on about it.

[close]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 08:29:33 PM by benjipwns »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1469 on: October 21, 2022, 08:49:38 PM »

hasn't it always been in the public square and this would be more about maintaining that ability instead of shutting it down?

like just thinking of the old internet and how common it was to say f@g and r-tard casually

This is actually a great point. I def remember that era but at some point many of us (nerds, gamers, movie watchers, etc as kids) started converging on message boards. Some message boards were no rules, no holds barred wild wild west shit. As time passed the largest boards, from GAF to IGN forums, had pretty strict moderation policies/TOS on that stuff. You could get away with all types of shit on GAF but using the f-word or n-word was auto permaban shit. 4chan popped up and had entirely different approaches to these things but that shit was more of an exception than a rule.

Flash forward to 2022. Forums are largely dead, social media runs the internet. But like forums, social media has TOS. So to me the issue is not them wanting to return to the old internet...it might as well be us going back to 2002, dealing with the weirdo who just wanted to call people fegs. After that permaban he'd just go to one of the chan sites. The problem today is these people realize those off brand sites they create aren't wavy or cool. At least back in the day, chan sites basically influenced everyone else meme/humor wise. Now these losers aren't nearly as funny or creative and just want to be in the normal person pool (twitter) talking that shit. Nope lol.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1470 on: October 21, 2022, 08:55:33 PM »
Ye said George Floyd was killed by Fentanyl and the cop didn't have his knee like that.

Ye called out JP Morgan and other bankers

Ye called out the jewish owned media and banks

Ye called Joe Biden "fucking r*tarded" for not meeting with Elon Musk

Ye called out George Soros

Ye basically went full filler  :lol

I don’t see Ye liking my posts, do you?  :ufup

Keep filler’s name out yo mouth  :birdman
Margs

benjipwns

« Reply #1471 on: October 21, 2022, 09:27:31 PM »
Flash forward to 2022. Forums are largely dead, social media runs the internet. But like forums, social media has TOS. So to me the issue is not them wanting to return to the old internet...it might as well be us going back to 2002, dealing with the weirdo who just wanted to call people fegs. After that permaban he'd just go to one of the chan sites. The problem today is these people realize those off brand sites they create aren't wavy or cool. At least back in the day, chan sites basically influenced everyone else meme/humor wise. Now these losers aren't nearly as funny or creative and just want to be in the normal person pool (twitter) talking that shit. Nope lol.
In Ye's case though he was there saying shit on Old Twitter, he knows what they took from us:

Himu

« Reply #1472 on: October 21, 2022, 11:32:22 PM »

This is actually a great point. I def remember that era but at some point many of us (nerds, gamers, movie watchers, etc as kids) started converging on message boards. Some message boards were no rules, no holds barred wild wild west shit. As time passed the largest boards, from GAF to IGN forums, had pretty strict moderation policies/TOS on that stuff. You could get away with all types of shit on GAF but using the f-word or n-word was auto permaban shit. 4chan popped up and had entirely different approaches to these things but that shit was more of an exception than a rule.

As Benji supported, a big problem with your supposition is that everyone that has issues with free speech on social media is a racist homophobe.

"They just want to bring back the n-word and f-word" is peak liberal ivory tower thinking that people generally resent. This "I know better for you" mindset.

Go to Twitter right now and find a tweet you disagree and write literally,"this is fucking distinguished mentally-challenged" or "this is fucking stupid" and chances are you will be greeted with a warning of conduct of language and likely get a warning. As the tweet cap Benji posted shows, you can't say anything about anybody regardless of context. A consequence of banning stuff like cigarillo or nicca is that it's not humans doing the moderating, it's bots, and black people - the very you're trying to protect - will be banned from social media for a wide range of things from simply saying "nicca" to "he called me a nicca." The problem with policing language is that it is an endless regress where, without actual moderation, we are only left with a complete white washing of the word even when used in example. Even before social media I disagreed with the censoring of the word nicca because it gives the word power. I remember being called nicca on the playground and I still dislike any censorship of the word because it presumes that I fear being called it when it's the contrary. I write it myself here, filtered out from the Bore's own distinguished mentally-challenged word filter. I just dislike censorship as a rule.

Moreover, you speak of the old days but I know the Phoenix Dark that called overweight women "orcas". You act like you were above it, but you were just like the rest of us. Why were you allowed to say that on NeoGaf or here but a nicca can't say a lady is fat on twitter?

How do you manage to be against the book/library situation while advocating for speech censorship? They're utterly against odds. At this point you might as well be for banning Huckleberry Finn.

"They just want to call people nicca and cigarillo" is overly simplistic and binary in its thinking. This idea that if you support free speech you're a racist is dangerous as racial minorities need free speech the most. Personally, I've backtracked to 2000's internet rules. I say whatever the fuck I want here regardless of "new" internet's rules. Remember. You yourself called overweight women orcas and whales. You can claim to be better or have grown, but that's just the hypocrisy I can't stand. "We used to say this when we were younger so we are just going to disable your ability to say it because we were wrong?" It's just a power play and a method to force everyone in to your own ruleset so you can control culture and call anyone and everyone that goes against it your enemies.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 11:37:48 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1473 on: October 21, 2022, 11:41:42 PM »
I remember on Neogaf back in the day there was a protest or some parade for not using the word nicca. "Stop using the N-word" protest I think it was. Here's the thing. No one is going to stop using that shit and the reason you fear it so much is because you give it so much power you censor it and don't want it seen. Shit ain't going away. It's a gotdamn word. Deal with it, and carry that fact like it's armor so that whenever you're hit with its arrows, you won't bleed. I've always hated censorship of all kinds. Call me a nicca all you want. I'll just silently judge you for doing so.

As a corollary, it's odd how we can say cacs and yt and all kinds of shit about the melanin challenged.

As an extra thought, the idea of speech equals violence has always been comical to me. The fact that this idea has become mainstream  is one of the greatest evidences that the liberals truly have gone far left even though they deny it and one of the first reasons I started to absolve myself of left politics. When they started to mock the mere idea of freedom of speech with "freeze peach" was when I first started to bristle my eyebrows.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 11:50:06 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1474 on: October 22, 2022, 03:37:50 AM »
It's not necessary to use the n-word. The only instance I find funny when white people use it, is Trump's ongoing n-word "the nuclear word" joke or the vtubers reciting GTA dialogue. We're not using kraut, attractive Jewish person, spick, jap, cracker, cigarillo etc. anymore either. That's just outdated. I'm against outright censoring but if you just keep calling people the n-word as a non-black person for no reason other than to offend I'm not interested in what you have to say.

Other words like fuck, bitch, dick, cunt, fat etc. don't fall into the same category for me.
🤴

Polident Hive

« Reply #1475 on: October 22, 2022, 03:49:26 AM »
Forums and old internet had a pub vibe. New internet and social networks are more high school. Won’t elaborate.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1476 on: October 22, 2022, 03:54:02 AM »
New internet feels more like you're spraying graffiti on the wall in a corporate lobby.
🤴

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #1477 on: October 22, 2022, 04:08:21 AM »
Always remember: You can buy high quality Yeezy replicas from China at a fraction of the price. Support your communist worker comrades. Hang the anti semite capitalists.

:ussrcry :juche

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1478 on: October 22, 2022, 04:49:39 AM »
https://twitter.com/sophieelsworth/status/1583719682527227905
“I am finding that peeps are no longer motivated by meaningful work — they are motivated to make political statements. They are using company time and company resources to win a game, against their opponents, in a game that is raging in their minds and on social media.
:hesright
🤴

Himu

« Reply #1479 on: October 22, 2022, 07:46:12 AM »
deleted
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 01:35:28 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1480 on: October 22, 2022, 07:52:46 AM »
https://twitter.com/1sttimetwitt/status/1583770575377674241

:sabu

It's not necessary to use the n-word. The only instance I find funny when white people use it, is Trump's ongoing n-word "the nuclear word" joke or the vtubers reciting GTA dialogue. We're not using kraut, attractive Jewish person, spick, jap, cracker, cigarillo etc. anymore either. That's just outdated. I'm against outright censoring but if you just keep calling people the n-word as a non-black person for no reason other than to offend I'm not interested in what you have to say.

Other words like fuck, bitch, dick, cunt, fat etc. don't fall into the same category for me.

Notice all of those words are uncensored except cigarillo.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 07:59:25 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1481 on: October 22, 2022, 08:38:07 AM »
My country has pretty much been taken over by this liberal/modern "progressive" thinking but what they are discovering now is that even though they keep walking the walk the situation does not improve and their utopia is further away than ever before.
Everything is now objectively worse. Violence against the LGBTQ+ and Jewish community is rising in places like Amsterdam. Internships are dissapearing because small businesses are killed off in favor of big corporations. Industries promising to invest in sustainability have not delivered despite receiving billions in subsidies and once they secure the bag from government they sell the company overseas investors and venture capitalists.

All the liberals can think about though is to force through these policies. For example they want to force companies to take interns if the company is considered 'suitable' to make sure there's a place for every intern.
I cannot imagine a worse situation for an intern, than to work for a company that actually doesn't want, welcome or need you.

I have 3 interns right now including a she/her developer and a kurdish war refugee. All are very motivated and doing a great job.
They are surprised how much they are rewarded and appreciated for the actual work that they are doing as well as allowed to make mistakes.
It would be a shame if they ended up at some corpo place not learning anything and not having fun.

The government in general puts way too much trust in NGO's, consultancy firms, diversity officers and other 'experts' and doesn't listen to people actually working in the industries they are attempting to regulate and transform.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #1482 on: October 22, 2022, 08:41:46 AM »
The best strategy is to demoralize them and show them their utopia is fake and can be taken with a snap of a finger.

All the liberals can think about though is to force through these policies.

I'm shocked. Liberals forcing a policy. I'm truly shocked.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 08:53:34 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1483 on: October 22, 2022, 09:37:46 AM »
Forums and old internet had a pub vibe. New internet and social networks are more high school. Won’t elaborate.

this is real succinct

at the pub when people say heinous shit, everyone knows it's a joke and to be cool, but the other aspect of that is it's a local pub where everyone has the similar interest of "drinking and saying heinous shit"

high school, you're all thrown together not by choice, and you have nanny overlords enforcing how to act, so if you're ever mistaken that you're among friends and say pub shit, someone can go running to the nannies and tattle on you with great personal smugness

and obv inherent to the comparison there's the element of being mature or not
Uncle

HaughtyFrank

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1485 on: October 22, 2022, 10:21:27 AM »
NEW INTERNET RULE: If Taylor Lorenz takes your side, you automatically concede and take the L, no debating, no appeals.

Pissys Law :smug
(ice)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1486 on: October 22, 2022, 01:16:45 PM »

wait really? it's a slur?

I get that it's not a word to be used lightly and assholes are tossing it around like it's nothing, but isn't it literally a descriptor? child grooming is an actual thing

is anything we don't like to be called a slur? is motherfucker a slur? what about calling someone a pedo?

if conservatives started calling lgbt people pedos, do you ban the word pedo?

just feels like this is the first step in making it yet another one of those words that gets you banned from social media and fired from your job
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1487 on: October 22, 2022, 01:34:50 PM »
Remember, "learn to code" is considered hate speech.

We've crossed the rubicon a long time ago.

🤴

Tasty

« Reply #1488 on: October 22, 2022, 01:39:35 PM »

Forums:

Between 20 and 5000 active users (we'll say)
Moderators actively watching most threads
Sign-up restrictions keeping chaff out
Infraction systems and suspensions as options before permabanning

Twitter
237,000,000 active users
No moderators
No sign up restrictions
Only permabanning as an option, and only for whoever is decided to be a Degenerate

Gee, I wonder where it all went so wrong...

Tasty

« Reply #1489 on: October 22, 2022, 01:43:03 PM »

I get that it's not a word to be used lightly and assholes are tossing it around like it's nothing, but isn't it literally a descriptor? child grooming is an actual thing

is anything we don't like to be called a slur? is motherfucker a slur? what about calling someone a pedo?

just feels like this is the first step in making it yet another one of those words that gets you banned from social media and fired from your job

It's not a slur in the same way TERF isn't, but it's not a nice thing to say and I'm concerned this will be the new anti-gay go-to for the next 15-20 years.

The implication of calling someone a groomer is much worse than calling them a fag.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1490 on: October 22, 2022, 01:43:24 PM »
outside of gaf and era wanting education/paid email sign-ups, don't forums and twitter have the same sign up restrictions?

honestly I think it's worse and more restrictive on social media that now always wants to get your phone involved, it's hard or impossible to sign up for burner accounts anymore
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #1491 on: October 22, 2022, 01:45:23 PM »
GAF forced you to use non-free emails, and the Bore doesn't even let you register without approval right now I think. More like that.

Cut out Gmail/iCloud-only Twitter users and I guarantee you the website would become a relative Utopia overnight. (But still deeply flawed, and not worth saving even then.)

Himu

« Reply #1492 on: October 22, 2022, 02:49:39 PM »

If you say groomer on reddit you get banned. Whole subs on Reddit get nuked for it. I told you they fucking change shit to bat around their whims and punish their "enemies" by pushing their fucking agenda - that they continue to deny. All it does pull people like me to the center, if not he full on right. Fuck em. The lefts war with words makes me want to push harder and just shout shit they don't like. A bunch of cunts trying to tell everyone and everything how to live while talking about open-mindedness. My ass. This shows how progressivism is not grounded in anything but reactionary politics. Progressive politics are a pox.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 03:13:17 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Polident Hive

« Reply #1493 on: October 22, 2022, 02:58:12 PM »
Hearing there’s other controversy with the writer and it isn’t such a neat story. but given how this keeps happening, somehow, it’s interesting. Some weeks back there was another investigation on the John Wayne anecdote as, well, embellished at best if not total bullshit.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/Sacheen-Littlefeather-oscar-Native-pretendian-17520648.php

“That infuriates me,” her sister Orlandi said when told of the quote. “Our house had a toilet … And it’s not a shack, OK, I have pictures of it. Of course, we had a toilet.”

Himu

« Reply #1494 on: October 22, 2022, 02:59:34 PM »
Remember, "learn to code" is considered hate speech.

We've crossed the rubicon a long time ago.

RACISM!!!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1495 on: October 22, 2022, 03:20:13 PM »
The lefts reactionary politics is actually the best way to beat them.

Let's keep it a buck. This is all about power.

In certain Street Fighter you have a high stun strategy if the game allows it. You can put in as many attacks as possible, get the opponent stunned, and then go for the kill. Stuff like Ryu's second SA in Third Strike, the denjin fireball, if well timed can completely demolish someone's stun meter. Treat it like that.

The left classifies a new word sexist/racist/homophobic/ableist/transphobic? Fuck it. Find a new word. Chances are they'll call that one an -ist/ic word too. Then come up with a new one. And over and over. Show their utter weakness and lean into it, and disable their power. And just chip away.

The left seems easy to exploit and this has probably been the right's strategy, to their success, since the left decided an ok sign was a symbol of white supremacy. Until almost a decade after gay marriage was made legal by the supreme court and they're seeing their wins being overturned. Oopsie!

It's working.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 03:31:49 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1496 on: October 22, 2022, 03:31:56 PM »
Hearing there’s other controversy with the writer and it isn’t such a neat story. but given how this keeps happening, somehow, it’s interesting. Some weeks back there was another investigation on the John Wayne anecdote as, well, embellished at best if not total bullshit.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/Sacheen-Littlefeather-oscar-Native-pretendian-17520648.php

“That infuriates me,” her sister Orlandi said when told of the quote. “Our house had a toilet … And it’s not a shack, OK, I have pictures of it. Of course, we had a toilet.”

It's an interesting read but the timing to release this after Littlefeather died is pretty suspect. I wonder if they couldn't just DNA test the sisters? Or maybe determining native ancestry isn't as simple as I think?

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1497 on: October 22, 2022, 03:41:29 PM »

It's an interesting read but the timing to release this after Littlefeather died is pretty suspect. I wonder if they couldn't just DNA test the sisters? Or maybe determining native ancestry isn't as simple as I think?

thing is, this wasn't only released after her death, here's the article's author trying to edit the info into her wikipedia article back when she was still alive, and getting lambasted for it:

https://twitter.com/void_pumpkin/status/1508615569813422080

apparently this info has been around in the background for years but of course nobody would've wanted to listen, it was just some awful right-winger trying to ruin her legacy

after all, the only time you'd ever see this kind of thing is when she'd be in the news and was relevant to the conversation, I don't think it would've made many waves cropping up at random times

by the way here's the article from before her death picking apart her John Wayne story:

https://selfstyledsiren.substack.com/p/john-wayne-and-the-six-security-men
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1498 on: October 22, 2022, 03:53:02 PM »
the wikipedia history and talk page remains as interesting as ever, you can literally see information coming out and it being rejected, until it's finally too well-sourced

truth isn't truth until you can manage to get someone to write an article about it...

and as expected the main article uncritically just repeats the john wayne story, though at least they allowed a line that it's disputed now

here are the edits she had made, bottom to top, immediately reverted:

"misinformation," "bad faith," "obvious low blows by bad actor"

seriously fuck wikipedia
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 03:57:14 PM by Uncle »
Uncle

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1499 on: October 22, 2022, 03:58:06 PM »
I can certainly see a world where people would rather pretend that there was nothing questionable than admitting they might have been fooled for 50+ years.

From what I can tell littlefeather was usually a positive force for natives, so there is little to gain by exposing her.