Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 147701 times)

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #1740 on: November 18, 2022, 09:30:54 PM »
The shirt thing has been a G20 tradition for years. Idiots.
Spud

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1741 on: November 18, 2022, 09:53:40 PM »
Westerners angry at other Westerners for engaging in Asian culture is one of my favorites of the genre because it doesn't take much to find out that it's traditionally a sign of respect in Asia and beyond that they often absolutely love seeing Westerners trying parts of their culture.

It's a sign of respect in Western culture too but that just makes it extra gross to these racial separatists. Since it's coming up the Thanksgiving stuff reminds me of this. They can't overlook what they see as an antagonistic relationship between the oppressor "settlers" and the oppressed "natives" based on their current cultural mores steeped in knowledge of select events that came after that involved other people. But the story of the American Thanksgiving is about their shared humanity. The Wampanoag helped strange humans they did not know and the Pilgrims accepted the assistance of strange humans they did not know. Our superior morals tell us that the Indians especially should have ignored their lived experience and said "NAH, FUCK THEM TRUMPERS, this is our culture they should get their own."

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1742 on: November 18, 2022, 10:09:43 PM »
The shirt thing has been a G20 tradition for years. Idiots.
My bad, the shirt thing is an APEC tradition
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/hayesbrown/project-runway-apec-edition
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #1743 on: November 18, 2022, 11:28:40 PM »
Female college athletes are making millions thanks to their large social media followings. But some who have fought for equity in women’s sports worry that their brand building is regressive.

But the new flood of money — and the way many female athletes are attaining it — troubles some who have fought for equitable treatment in women’s sports and say that it rewards traditional feminine desirability over athletic excellence. And while the female athletes I spoke to said they were consciously deciding whether to play up or down their sexuality, some observers say that the market is dictating that choice.

Andrea Geurin, a researcher of sports business at Loughborough University in England, studied female athletes trying to make the Rio Olympics in 2016, many of them American collegians. “One of the big themes that came out is the pressure that they felt to post suggestive or sexy photos of themselves” on social media, Geurin said.

Stanford’s Tara VanDerveer, one of the most successful coaches in women’s college basketball, sees the part of the N.I.L. revolution that focuses on beauty as regressive for female athletes. VanDerveer started coaching in 1978, a virtual eon before the popularization of the internet and social media, but she said the technology was upholding old sexist notions.

“I guess sometimes we have this swinging pendulum, where we maybe take two steps forward, and then we take a step back. We’re fighting for all the opportunities to compete, to play, to have resources, to have facilities, to have coaches, and all the things that go with Olympic-caliber athletics.”

“This is a step back,” she added.

Race cannot be ignored as part of the dynamic. A majority of the most successful female moneymakers are white. Sexual orientation can’t be ignored, either. Few of the top earners openly identify as gay, and many post suggestive images of themselves that seem to cater to the male gaze.

The part of the story for the sicko degenerates who will use Google to direct their male gaze
Olivia Dunne is a gymnast on Louisiana State’s women’s team.

She was an all-American in her freshman year and made the Southeastern Conference’s honor roll as a sophomore majoring in interdisciplinary studies.

Ahead of the start of her junior season, Dunne is also at the leading edge of a movement shaking the old foundations of college sports: a female student athlete raking in cash thanks to the passage in 2021 of new rules allowing college athletes to sign name, image and likeness, or N.I.L., deals.

Dunne, 20, won’t give specifics on her earnings, which at least one industry analyst projects will top $2 million over the next year.

“Seven figures,” she said. “That is something I’m proud of. Especially since I’m a woman in college sports.” She added: “There are no professional leagues for most women’s sports after college.”

Dunne, a petite blonde with a bright smile and a gymnast’s toned physique, earns a staggering amount by posting to her eight-million strong internet following on Instagram and TikTok, platforms on which she intersperses sponsored content modeling American Eagle Outfitters jeans and Vuori activewear alongside videos of her lip syncing popular songs or performing trending dances.

To Dunne, and many other athletes of her generation, being candid and flirty and showing off their bodies in ways that emphasize traditional notions of female beauty on social media are all empowering.

“It’s just about showing as much or as little as you want,” Dunne said of her online persona.
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #1745 on: November 20, 2022, 12:18:28 AM »
Why do they keep trying to make this a thing? HOW MUCH IS BIG EMOJI PAYING THEM?!?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1747 on: November 20, 2022, 09:06:43 AM »
Antifa has cat ladies?

I know what I’m joining soon :sicko
Margs

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1749 on: November 20, 2022, 11:10:12 AM »
magic can be really powerful but I'm going with #4, there is a solid confidence to the stance
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #1750 on: November 20, 2022, 03:04:30 PM »
twitter.com/Choiaeivor/status/1594234165628932097

twitter.com/Choiaeivor/status/1594236991113400320
Seriously, women, why even do something if it's not funny and new to this day and age?

:jeanluc

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:tauntaun
[close]

benjipwns

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 10:03:47 PM by benjipwns »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1752 on: November 20, 2022, 11:39:27 PM »
Wouldn't have anything to do with the corruption involved or the blatant attempt at sports washing away human rights abuses or anything...must be Islamophobia.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #1754 on: November 21, 2022, 03:15:50 PM »
edit: deleted
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 03:33:13 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #1755 on: November 21, 2022, 03:20:26 PM »
People were murdered Himu.

Fuck the fuck off
:O

Himu

« Reply #1756 on: November 21, 2022, 03:22:04 PM »
I'm not seeing the correlation.

That said I deleted it to avoid any sensitivity.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 03:32:57 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

james

« Reply #1757 on: November 21, 2022, 04:35:51 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1758 on: November 21, 2022, 05:57:49 PM »
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #1759 on: November 21, 2022, 06:21:08 PM »
Korean feminists are something else

twitter.com/JasminDarnell/status/1594653818679365632
For all the interest in witchcraft among Western leftists/feminists there is a distinct lack of issuing public curses so I appreciate this kind of thing.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

Himu

« Reply #1761 on: November 22, 2022, 12:59:58 PM »
https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1532347722111516672

https://twitter.com/binnahar85/status/1594764842220617728

Based Qatar and based tweet.

Really ties into American exceptionalism and selfishness. Like the Britney Griner situation. Goes to a foreign country with weed and expects the law to not apply to her. This is why liberalism is a forcing of culture onto all of society, no matter what it is: a pathetic, putrid monoculture. Doesn't matter whether the subject is Covid Policy, to respecting the laws and beliefs of foreign lands. Modern liberals and progressives do not espouse their ideology out of so-called tolerance, or else they'd tolerate views they disagree with. It's about ideological apartheid: separation and outright disdain of anything they deem declasse.

This also strikes into the heart of liberal mediocrity: you're never faced with consequences. Someone can fly to Russia with weed in their bag and think they can get off because they're rich and famous. Someone can go to an Islamic country with Pride flag and be shocked when they're denied entry. Someone can murder and steal and be turned into a victim that faces "white supremacist" forces despite willingly choosing to steal or kill or sell drugs in a society with endless legal options. Nope, he's the true victim. Liberals breeds a mediocre, weak society.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 01:18:56 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #1762 on: November 22, 2022, 01:41:26 PM »
Really ties into American exceptionalism and selfishness. Like the Britney Griner situation. Goes to a foreign country with weed and expects the law to not apply to her. This is why liberalism is a forcing of culture onto all of society, no matter what it is: a pathetic, putrid monoculture. Doesn't matter whether the subject is Covid Policy, to respecting the laws and beliefs of foreign lands. Modern liberals and progressives do not espouse their ideology out of so-called tolerance, or else they'd tolerate views they disagree with. It's about ideological apartheid: separation and outright disdain of anything they deem declasse.

This also strikes into the heart of liberal mediocrity: you're never faced with consequences. Someone can fly to Russia with weed in their bag and think they can get off because they're rich and famous. Someone can go to an Islamic country with Pride flag and be shocked when they're denied entry. Someone can murder and steal and be turned into a victim that faces "white supremacist" forces despite willingly choosing to steal or kill or sell drugs in a society with endless legal options. Nope, he's the true victim. Liberals breeds a mediocre, weak society.

again; I don't think you understand what liberalism means, or attribute it to people who themselves would spit on what liberalism stands for.
A tenet of liberalism is that eevryone should be equal under the law, so tough shit if you're a famous sports personality and think that gets you a free pass.
A tenet of liberalism is freedom of religion, so tough shit if you think what you believe gives you the right to freely shit on what someone else believes and expect them to accommodate that.

Himu

« Reply #1763 on: November 22, 2022, 01:54:35 PM »
Understanding what liberalism means and the modern American description of it are two different things. When I attack liberalism, I am not attacking the viewpoints and philosophies of those such as John Locke. I am attacking those that literally define themselves in my country as being liberal. The definition of liberal has changed just like the definition of racism.

Moreover, American liberals and progressives claim to hate colonizing and imperialism. But isn't pushing your worldview on to the rest of the world a form of it?

What is the difference between Britain forcing all of the world to bend their knees to their Queen and to their Triune God and what they're doing now? It's just imperialism of another form and like the one of the past its presented through the form of moral righteousness.

Let's be clear.

The reason so much of the opposition are gritting our teeth and holding back on these issues is because American progs and American wider culture are trying to force us all to think one way.

Let's be clear again. Homosexuals have faced insane and horrific dehumanizing acts throughout history. Alan Turing was chemically castrated for nothing more than being a homosexual. Yet over time people saw that this treatment was wrong and awful. No one forced society to think what happened to Turing was wrong. We as a society grew. Why won't they allow the rest of the world the same grace?

Similarly, as an ideological contrast, America routinely pushes the idea of spreading Democracy to other nations through our might, our technological magic, our bullets, and our nukes. Progressives are utterly correct in their characterization of America as bullies that Lord over the world with a gun behind its head while claiming the virtues of the freedom of We The People.

America wasn't thrust upon or forces to into the Republic that it is. It came to be that way through a bunch of heads getting together and trying to find a new way. Our values of liberty and democracy and a representative Republic are legitimate and would be better argued through our example rather than force. By extension, progs would find more success in getting people that disagree with them by showing why they're right by example through slow social change rather than deeming everyone and everything change overnight much like a caustic American shell blowing up an Arab village on the pretense of so-called Freedom.

As it is, the future that progressives say they want everyone to have is the same old western colonization with a different name. The only difference being that the warfare is fought with control of thought rather than bombs and Agent Orange.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 02:24:20 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #1764 on: November 22, 2022, 02:19:57 PM »
the difference between liberalism and... pretty much every other ideology, is point one of liberalism is "You know what, I might be fucking wrong about this, and even if the things I think are right turn out right for me, they might not turn out right for anyone else, so you pretty much have to tolerate and respect other peoples beliefs as having exactly the same weight as your own, because you don't have any special rights or authority than anyone else".

Pretty much every other ideological starting point is "I have the authority of being 100% right about everything and the One True Faith, and if anyone comes round here saying any different, chase them off or beat them the fuck out, but definitely don't listen to a fucking word they say because its all horseshit, especially anything that contradicts what I say, being 100% right about everything all the time".

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #1765 on: November 22, 2022, 02:22:08 PM »
People trying to force themselves into Qatar while wearing a rainbow pride shirt and swigging a 40 aren't liberals and wouldn't describe themselves as such.

Himu

« Reply #1766 on: November 22, 2022, 02:25:16 PM »
You are attacking the definition of words rather than my overall message. I do not have time to play Dictionary, though. I do not blame you, however. You are clearly an oldschool liberal and merely on the defensive defending what you believe in. I do not see it being done out of malice but defensiveness.

What then do you define woke if they are not liberal? That's what they claim themselves as. If not that, they claim to be progressive. What word am I to use when describing them?
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1767 on: November 22, 2022, 02:30:02 PM »
The problem is that governments the world over are littered by marxists or fascists proclaiming to be liberals.
Putin and Erdogan call themselves 'liberal' and so does Lula.

Just like the word Nazi it has no real meaning anymore.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #1768 on: November 22, 2022, 02:32:56 PM »
Putin and Erdogan describe themselves as liberal?

I'll have to read up on this. It may cause me to be more charitable towards the word. If someone like Putin can use it, I can't clearly can't paint with such a broader brush. I will have to reconsider how I address my opponents.
IYKYK

Occam

« Reply #1769 on: November 22, 2022, 02:42:42 PM »
I will have to reconsider how I address my opponents.

How about "sane people"?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #1770 on: November 22, 2022, 02:58:51 PM »
You are attacking the definition of words rather than my overall message. I do not have time to play Dictionary, though. I do not blame you, however. You are clearly an oldschool liberal and merely on the defensive defending what you believe in. I do not see it being done out of malice but defensiveness.

What then do you define woke if they are not liberal? That's what they claim themselves as. If not that, they claim to be progressive. What word am I to use when describing them?

The people you are complaining about - as in culture warriors from the left rather than the right - would probably describe themselves as leftists, progressives or "allies".
They also say shit like "scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds" because they are not and wouldn't describe themselves as liberals, and see tolerance of other people holding viewpoints as implicitly accepting and condoning those viewpoints and a sign of weakness in the classic "with us or against us" mentality.

That's not to say that liberals won't and don't actually condone illiberal actions - eg something like racial diversity quotas as a protection against the tyranny of the majority, but they would not describe that in terms of the recipients being better or worse than non-recipients, but in pragmatic terms that sometimes small injustices are needed to outweigh bigger injustices.

Anyone pushing for the removal of rights of others because those others hold views they disagree with are inherently not liberal, regardless of what they call themselves.

Himu

« Reply #1771 on: November 22, 2022, 03:40:22 PM »

The people you are complaining about - as in culture warriors from the left rather than the right - would probably describe themselves as leftists, progressives or "allies".
They also say shit like "scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds" because they are not and wouldn't describe themselves as liberals, and see tolerance of other people holding viewpoints as implicitly accepting and condoning those viewpoints and a sign of weakness in the classic "with us or against us" mentality.

That's not to say that liberals won't and don't actually condone illiberal actions - eg something like racial diversity quotas as a protection against the tyranny of the majority, but they would not describe that in terms of the recipients being better or worse than non-recipients, but in pragmatic terms that sometimes small injustices are needed to outweigh bigger injustices.

Anyone pushing for the removal of rights of others because those others hold views they disagree with are inherently not liberal, regardless of what they call themselves.

I agree. But Benji gets on me when I call them leftists.
IYKYK

james

« Reply #1772 on: November 22, 2022, 05:30:47 PM »
So Im visiting family and looking up local restaurants for dinner. Narrow it down to a couple, and decide to look at one star reviews to decide

Chelsea Albritton
6 reviews
7 months ago
I left that review because I came in and saw 3 roaches huddled together. Maybe they were praying, who knows lol.

Response from the owner a year ago
Part of the woke community that is discriminating against me for my Christian faith.

Dennis Manske
1 star

Response from the owner a year ago
Dennis has left us RAVE reviews in the past. Recently, Dennis doesn’t like the fact the we are a Christian owned business (Dennis is an atheists) and that we stand for traditional biblical values so he leave us vulgar messages and one star reviews to make himself feel like he has a sense of superiority.

:doge :doge :doge :doge

I just left a 1 star review for the lulz
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #1773 on: November 22, 2022, 06:04:17 PM »
I'm not sure what exactly this refers to but I assume it was something like pointing out that Biden and Hochul are not the "left" of the Democratic Party and that self-proclaimed leftists attack them as moderates/centrists/right-wing/etc. as I have no problem with referring to social studies warriors as being on the left since that's where they place themselves even if they reject every supposed ideal of the left. (As regarding this definitional discussion above I tend to only consider the self-identification purposes of this as I of course find the traditional left-right spectrum to be completely nonsensical.)

benjipwns

« Reply #1774 on: November 22, 2022, 11:14:14 PM »

Himu

« Reply #1776 on: November 23, 2022, 01:09:56 AM »
I'm not sure what exactly this refers to but I assume it was something like pointing out that Biden and Hochul are not the "left" of the Democratic Party and that self-proclaimed leftists attack them as moderates/centrists/right-wing/etc. as I have no problem with referring to social studies warriors as being on the left since that's where they place themselves even if they reject every supposed ideal of the left. (As regarding this definitional discussion above I tend to only consider the self-identification purposes of this as I of course find the traditional left-right spectrum to be completely nonsensical.)

I don't recall. I just remember you saying the Democratic Party aren't leftists but they sure act like it in certain pockets which is why I called them that
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #1777 on: November 23, 2022, 01:33:12 AM »
Ah, well, that sounds plausible too. Leftists has certain connotations to it and much of the Democratic Party is openly antagonistic to it. I think it's much more acceptable for mainstream Republicans to declare themselves on "the right" for example. Even when you have people like Never Trumpers hitting the party they often frame it as betrayal of right-wing principles. If Joe Biden did something like cut taxes nobody in Democratic spheres is honestly going to scream "JOE BIDEN IS BETRAYING THE LEFT!" That's more like a joke you'd hear from Republican spheres to try and poke leftists who blindly support Democrats. I certainly think it's possible for Democrats to do something "leftist" but I also think that's possible for Trump too and everyone tells me no one has ever been as far-right as him.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1778 on: November 23, 2022, 07:26:05 AM »
https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1595314329729249281

It's like the sacking of constantinople by mehmed the conquerer
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #1779 on: November 27, 2022, 03:16:27 AM »

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1780 on: November 27, 2022, 01:19:56 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1781 on: November 27, 2022, 03:51:11 PM »
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1782 on: November 28, 2022, 03:53:35 AM »
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1783 on: November 28, 2022, 06:07:43 PM »
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1784 on: November 28, 2022, 07:14:11 PM »
does the government block the creation of new farms, like you can't suddenly decide to go in your backyard and start a garden and sell the produce

if not, suppose you as a farmer take the buyout and use the money to start another farm (it's the only job you know after all)?
Uncle

james

« Reply #1785 on: November 28, 2022, 09:40:41 PM »
does the government block the creation of new farms, like you can't suddenly decide to go in your backyard and start a garden and sell the produce

if not, suppose you as a farmer take the buyout and use the money to start another farm (it's the only job you know after all)?

Have you been to the netherland? its like 7 properties wide by 9 tall.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1786 on: November 28, 2022, 10:16:03 PM »
Somehow Kanye West ended up going to Tim pool and somehow it ended with Kanye storming out because Pool didn't want to blame "the Jews"

https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1597405484054876160

james

« Reply #1787 on: November 28, 2022, 10:55:49 PM »
Himus had a busy week, good for him

benjipwns

« Reply #1788 on: November 28, 2022, 10:56:33 PM »
Somehow Kanye West ended up going to Tim pool and somehow it ended with Kanye storming out because Pool didn't want to blame "the Jews"
My feel when no forthcoming Ye collab:

:fbm

james

« Reply #1789 on: November 28, 2022, 11:00:17 PM »
Is Tim Pool bald? Whats with the hat. Someone pull it off

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #1790 on: November 28, 2022, 11:09:14 PM »

he has to keep his brain heated otherwise 100% of the stupid shit comes out.

benjipwns

« Reply #1791 on: November 28, 2022, 11:14:18 PM »
He wears the hat to conceal his identity so his life isn't put in danger during all his risk taking, it's like you know absolutely nothing:

[close]

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #1792 on: November 28, 2022, 11:20:52 PM »
is that himu?

james

« Reply #1793 on: November 28, 2022, 11:58:23 PM »
That hairline is alllllllll the way back

HaughtyFrank

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1795 on: November 29, 2022, 01:34:36 PM »

https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1597405484054876160

If they take the money and close up shop they're not allowed to start a new farm.
Basically the Rabobank pushed the farmers to 'expand' and 'scale' by taking on loans to buy 'cheap land' from local governments or buy out their less automated competitors.
In little over a decade they turned small local family farms into intensive industrial farms.

The farmers were also pushed with subsidies to create 'nature zones' in between their farmland for wildlife.
Now they're being evicted from their farms because these 'nature zones' (that they themselves created) are 'endangered' by the surrounding farmland.

It's not about the farms, it's about the land needed for more housing, data centers, warehouses and logistical centers.
As well as cutting government expenses as the farmers get a lot of subsidies. Overall though this is a disaster for food security.
🤴

james

« Reply #1796 on: November 29, 2022, 01:35:26 PM »
Its true, its getting harder and harder to date underage girls. What happened to the 1960s sexual revolution?

One of our BRAVE BOYS IN BLUE was cancelled by liberals in California for trying to date a younger woman

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1597195362263044096

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1797 on: November 29, 2022, 02:08:08 PM »
🤴

benjipwns

benjipwns