Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 147699 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #2880 on: April 11, 2023, 01:07:02 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/elaifresh/status/1645248101559709697

Video is worth watching
Half of the tiktoks moms are like this, she's just selling a product.

There's all sorts of advertising laws for product placement and whatnot but of course those don't apply to the tiktok :trumps
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2881 on: April 11, 2023, 03:19:23 PM »
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2882 on: April 11, 2023, 03:43:34 PM »
lots of replies saying birdo

people latch on to all these older depiction of trans characters, forgetting that almost all of it was rooted in mockery or giving a sense of weirdness/wrongness

nintendo is deadnaming birdo to this day  :doge

https://alexhasopinions.medium.com/nintendos-birdo-is-not-a-trans-icon-326dd4c08f2c

Birdo is supposed to be funny because she is an “other.”

A strong example of this otherization is the Japanese exclusive Wii game called Captain Rainbow (2008). The protagonist of the game is a human named Nick, who has a superhero alter ego, Captain Rainbow. There is a sidequest in the game where Nick has to rescue Birdo from jail after she was arrested for using the wrong bathroom (i.e., the women’s bathroom). You then have to find an object from her house, probably her vibrator, that “proves” to the robot police officer that she is a woman. The bathroom debate for trans people is a very contentious issue, and this joke plays into that painful history.

but no really, birdo is totally woke bro  :-*
Uncle

NekoFever

« Reply #2883 on: April 11, 2023, 04:02:27 PM »
Also Link cross-dressing in BOTW, when I’m not sure a male character disguising himself as a woman to get into a female-only space through subterfuge is the win for inclusion they’re going for.

And Samus is canonically trans because the manual uses male pronouns but she comes out as a woman at the end.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #2884 on: April 11, 2023, 04:09:35 PM »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2885 on: April 11, 2023, 04:19:17 PM »
Gender signifiers are bad and sexist but also, if a boy plays with a Barbie doll that means they want to have their cock cut off and chucked in the corner because they're actually a girl.

Makes sense.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2886 on: April 12, 2023, 10:57:19 AM »
Gender signifiers are bad and sexist but also, if a boy plays with a Barbie doll that means they want to have their cock cut off and chucked in the corner because they're actually a girl.

Makes sense.
I don't think you understand they (in the loose sense that someone somewhere may have done this) already queered, problematized and deconstructed gender, now they're allowed to reconstruct it in any form they wish. Even if that form is decades out of date from even the conservative mainstream media portrayal in things like sitcoms and cartoons, generally from before they were even born.

And you're required to accept this or else it's violence. (They also deconstructed that one while you were busy being ignorant and hateful.)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2888 on: April 13, 2023, 10:15:36 AM »
https://twitter.com/lporiginalg/status/1646361581419372545

I don't care what history says nelson mandela was a fat real estate developer from New York :trumps
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2889 on: April 13, 2023, 10:21:11 AM »
At least Disney already has a roadmap for an eventual Snow White remake.

Propagandhim

« Reply #2890 on: April 13, 2023, 10:40:06 AM »

I don't care what history says nelson mandela was a fat real estate developer from New York :trumps

This is really obnoxious to be honest.  How did a Macedonian ever get appropriated as black?  Astonishing shit.  Woke Americanism is really a sight to behold.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #2891 on: April 13, 2023, 10:55:03 AM »

We're entering some really weird territories with first the Women King and now this. Like it feels like it went from "This King Arthur movie doesn't have to be historically accurate, it got freaking dragons in it" (Which is fair) to "This woman from Greece was black because my grandma told me and it's racist if you disagree" which is just outright delusion.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #2892 on: April 13, 2023, 11:49:43 AM »

So are black people going to owe Jews reparations?

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #2893 on: April 13, 2023, 01:03:45 PM »

This is really obnoxious to be honest.  How did a Macedonian ever get appropriated as black?  Astonishing shit.  Woke Americanism is really a sight to behold.

I bet a large amount of woke American's have their tiny little minds blown when they find out that north African's are generally Arabic.
(ice)

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2894 on: April 13, 2023, 02:20:03 PM »
https://twitter.com/SophiaNarwitz/status/1646572759038713856

The show hasn't even really started production yet  :boring

Edit:

https://twitter.com/Jerasunder/status/1646573853022519296

Okay, that's enough twitter for today
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 02:39:21 PM by HaughtyFrank »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2895 on: April 13, 2023, 05:22:19 PM »

So are black people going to owe Jews reparations?
the jews in the bible had dark skin tbh. closer to modern ethiopian jews than the euro jews that hate Palestinians.

it's hilarious that these super pasty white jews think that their ancestors were wondering around in the desert for 40 years. lol, they never would have made it with that see through skin

kanye is closer to what the jews of the bible were than lex fridman, but in the interview lex didn't like kanye calling himself a jew  :yeshrug
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 05:35:07 PM by team filler »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2896 on: April 13, 2023, 05:28:28 PM »

We're entering some really weird territories with first the Women King and now this. Like it feels like it went from "This King Arthur movie doesn't have to be historically accurate, it got freaking dragons in it" (Which is fair) to "This woman from Greece was black because my grandma told me and it's racist if you disagree" which is just outright delusion.

I don't see how this is any different from Ancient Aliens, except that it is less entertaining :trumps
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2897 on: April 13, 2023, 07:48:02 PM »

I bet a large amount of woke American's have their tiny little minds blown when they find out that north African's are generally Arabic.
it's almost like in the beginning it was africa colonizing everyone else and then at a certain point everyone else began to colonize africa  :doge

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2898 on: April 13, 2023, 09:10:35 PM »

Or that there are plenty of white people with full European ancestry living in Latin America...
^_^

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2899 on: April 13, 2023, 09:29:04 PM »

Or that there are plenty of white people with full European ancestry living in Latin America...

"Full European ancestry" you say?

Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #2900 on: April 13, 2023, 10:31:54 PM »
The funniest part is these people just claim random stuff with no rhyme or reason mostly because they're ignorant so they think they're claiming something important in history for Black people so Black people can claim "first" somehow when there's far more interesting stuff in actual African history they dismiss and ignore completely while leaning into tropes about backwards cultures and ignorant savages to justify ignoring these African cultures for "white" culture all while nobody even understands the significance of whatever stupid shit you make up for your dumb theories. Cleopatra may have had Hollywood movies made about her but she's not really all that important to Egyptian history.

benjipwns

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #2902 on: April 14, 2023, 11:58:43 AM »
Bring back traditional culture!!!

https://m.ntdtv.com/gb/2023/04/09/a103686837.html

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2903 on: April 14, 2023, 12:37:57 PM »
Bring back traditional culture!!!

https://m.ntdtv.com/gb/2023/04/09/a103686837.html
I always get YouTube ads for these shows.

Steven Goldberg, Senior Software Engineer: "I didn't know what to expect when I went into the theater, and I was blown away by the results. The show was very dynamic and colorful. I'm a musician myself, so I was enchanted. I always like to see live Symphony. Very interesting and a lot of surprises, because I really didn't know what kind of show it was going to be."

It's probably how they brainwash the soy bois into marxists. :juche
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2904 on: April 14, 2023, 01:09:12 PM »
https://twitter.com/macaiyla/status/1646677925239062529

Oh Disney, you really just want to see the world burn. Now the other half of twitter is pissed  :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2905 on: April 14, 2023, 02:20:21 PM »
Disney put themselves into an impossible position. They've been warned about this over the years that eventually the token representation would not be enough anymore but the MOUSEWALKSTO1BILLIONDOLLARS.JPG was more important than common sense.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2906 on: April 14, 2023, 05:03:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/macaiyla/status/1646677925239062529

Oh Disney, you really just want to see the world burn. Now the other half of twitter is pissed  :lol

She's native Hawaiian, but SHE'S NOT NATIVE ENOUGH!!!

:gamergate
Spud

benjipwns

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2908 on: April 15, 2023, 04:51:25 AM »
 :maduro

benjipwns

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2910 on: April 16, 2023, 10:31:52 PM »

:gbcry

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2911 on: April 17, 2023, 02:22:50 PM »
Wow, I love Biden now! :biden
©@©™

benjipwns

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2913 on: April 18, 2023, 03:17:25 PM »
the dylan mulvaney bud lite narrative is currently all over the place and no one knows how to frame it, win, loss, who is owned in this situation

first, fox and leading conservatives are freaking out and desperately trying to stop rednecks from boycotting bud lite, because apparently they're a top republican donor

but also, the boycott is doing nothing and actually the stock has hit an all time high

why would a company so conservative that it's a top republican donor commit an unforced error and partner with someone they know will upset their redneck base? but why would fox freak out about the boycott when it's apparently done nothing? isn't it anheuser busch's responsibility to take actions that won't cause people to boycott them? but apparently they made the right move if their stock is doing so well?

well turns out the second image going around social media is an outright lie and the stock has only been going down since the new campaign, but not by very much, so basically nothing is happening

https://www.google.com/search?q=BUD+stock
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 03:23:55 PM by Uncle »
Uncle

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #2914 on: April 18, 2023, 03:53:14 PM »
They're down 5% in the past few days.

That's like an 1/7th of a twitter.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2915 on: April 18, 2023, 03:59:05 PM »
Stock price as an indicator of success for an advertising campaign is fucking stupid, unless the campaign is based around raising the price. At this point it's just speculators and idiotic investors who are selling off based on their "principles".

If their sales fall off over the next few months and don't recover, THEN people can call it a failure.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
However, if past attempts at "woke" campaigns are any indication, this type of campaign will quickly be buried and never spoken of again.
[close]
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2916 on: April 18, 2023, 04:25:42 PM »
However, if past attempts at "woke" campaigns are any indication, this type of campaign will quickly be buried and never spoken of again.
[close]

:idont
Uncle

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2917 on: April 18, 2023, 04:38:21 PM »
[close]

(Image removed from quote.)

:idont
That's what I was talking about...although, the drop does coincide with covid which might imply that people spending the majority of time indoors might lead to less personal grooming and more beard growing.

Edit: Sales slump began in mid-2019, so likely directly caused by telling men they're evil pathetic cunts.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 04:46:47 PM by Potato »
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2918 on: April 18, 2023, 04:50:35 PM »
Edit: Sales slump began in mid-2019, so likely directly caused by telling men they're evil pathetic cunts.

look buddy I don't know where the fuck you're finding that info but it's not a reliable source

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:The_Best_Men_Can_Be

Uncle

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2919 on: April 18, 2023, 04:56:03 PM »
Lol. I knew that campaign went down really badly, but that's even worse than I thought.

Do you think they realise Wikipedia moderation discussions are public?
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2920 on: April 18, 2023, 05:04:56 PM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/04/15/jk-rowling-transgender-views-uncancelled/

When delighted Harry Potter fans learned the boy wizard will return to their screens, they also received another surprise: JK Rowling, who wrote the original books, is coming along too.

In an announcement this week, Warner Bros Discovery, the entertainment titan that first brought the series to cinemas, said it is developing a new, decade-long television show – with Rowling taking the key role of executive producer.

“I'm looking forward to being part of this new adaptation, which will allow for a degree of depth and detail only afforded by a long form television series,” the author said.

A few years ago, Rowling’s involvement in the project would hardly have come as a shock.

But the decision to involve the British author – and so publicly – marks a significant shift in tone.
Spud

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2921 on: April 18, 2023, 05:05:00 PM »
I imagine one easy indicator if an ad campaign worked is whether the company keeps it going or not.

I never heard Gilette talk about toxic masculinity again, I had even forgotten that they did this silly ad. Meanwhile that Old Spice dude who sits on a horse etc. stuck around for years, so I assume that's pretty successful.

In the end all those billion dollar companies just look where the money is.
Like the budlight lady who spearheaded this marketing campaign even said that she wanted to move away from the "fratboy" image and gain more customers that way. That's the motivator, finding more people who don't buy your warm piss drink yet.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
:O

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2923 on: April 18, 2023, 05:23:47 PM »
I imagine one easy indicator if an ad campaign worked is whether the company keeps it going or not.

I never heard Gilette talk about toxic masculinity again, I had even forgotten that they did this silly ad. Meanwhile that Old Spice dude who sits on a horse etc. stuck around for years, so I assume that's pretty successful.

In the end all those billion dollar companies just look where the money is.
Like the budlight lady who spearheaded this marketing campaign even said that she wanted to move away from the "fratboy" image and gain more customers that way. That's the motivator, finding more people who don't buy your warm piss drink yet.

except with all the new attention on busch, apparently all those potential leftie customers have just learned that they're a major donor to republicans, so they're not falling for it either  :doge
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2924 on: April 18, 2023, 06:02:58 PM »
I remember when EA very openly said:
"If you don't like diversity and inclusivity in Battlefield 5 buy something else nerds" and they all did and DICE imploded
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2925 on: April 18, 2023, 06:06:12 PM »
"If you don't like diversity and inclusivity in Battlefield 5 buy something else nerds" and they all did and DICE imploded

Because one of the lead devs was like "How can I explain to my daughter that she can't play a woman in this WW2 shooter?"

Maybe don't make a WW2 shooter then? Crazy idea.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2926 on: April 18, 2023, 06:36:26 PM »
they could have a woman part of the game where you stay behind to work at factories and get deep dicked by the men who didn't get drafted and sent off to die  :thinking

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2927 on: April 18, 2023, 06:40:02 PM »
Should've either kept it 'accurate' or instead go all the way with a fictional WW2 setting with a character creator which allows you to make Panzer Waifu's to drive the Wunderwaffen such as tanks as big as a house.

But instead they just do the bare minimum cookie cutter shit where you play as a boring average person with a pea shooter and camo print #3 on a map called "Farm" which is basically just a field of grass with a windmill  :doge
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2928 on: April 18, 2023, 06:50:10 PM »
they could have a woman part of the game where you stay behind to work at factories and get deep dicked by the men who didn't get drafted and sent off to die  :thinking

I would legitimately play this
Uncle

Tuckers Law

« Reply #2929 on: April 18, 2023, 06:51:12 PM »
go all the way with a fictional WW2 setting with a character creator which allows you to make Panzer Waifu's to drive the Wunderwaffen such as tanks as big as a house.

I'd play that game in a heartbeat, even despite it being an EA creation.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2930 on: April 18, 2023, 08:04:53 PM »

Because one of the lead devs was like "How can I explain to my daughter that she can't play a woman in this WW2 shooter?"

Maybe don't make a WW2 shooter then? Crazy idea.
You could explain to her that, outside of some very specific examples, almost all of the fighting (and dying) in World War II was done by men and that fact can't be erased by some token inclusivity consultant.
Spud

Skullfuckers Anonymous

benjipwns

« Reply #2932 on: April 18, 2023, 10:11:32 PM »

well turns out the second image going around social media is an outright lie and the stock has only been going down since the new campaign, but not by very much, so basically nothing is happening
I think we're missing the real story here. Someone made one of those awful "meme" images out of a BrookylnDad_Compliant tweet as if it was some profound quote.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2933 on: April 18, 2023, 10:23:39 PM »

I think we're missing the real story here. Someone made one of those awful "meme" images out of a BrookylnDad_Compliant tweet as if it was some profound quote.

let's see if "readers added context" shows up on the bire

edit: nope

https://twitter.com/mmpadellan/status/1646193978994221056
Uncle

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #2934 on: April 19, 2023, 12:07:10 PM »
that cocksucker was probably paid by budweiser to tell that lie :doge
(ice)

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #2935 on: April 19, 2023, 01:38:10 PM »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2936 on: April 19, 2023, 02:39:09 PM »

I could totally see this being an otome game :p
^_^

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #2937 on: April 19, 2023, 03:17:09 PM »
We need to talk about the rising trend of Sikh on Sikh violence in this country

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1648404840496652290
:O

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna