Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 147693 times)

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #3120 on: May 14, 2023, 05:29:22 AM »
you know what's really infuriating, as a social writer, the idea you would kill half your audience in just like, right away, like a snap one would say.

E: top of page thanos writing with a pencil:

:nsfw

spoiler (click to show/hide)
sickos
[close]

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #3121 on: May 14, 2023, 05:50:40 AM »
It's really about time movies portray the positive side of god complexes

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3122 on: May 14, 2023, 05:53:36 AM »
It's really about time movies portray the positive side of god complexes

It's called the nines.

Polident Hive

« Reply #3123 on: May 14, 2023, 06:01:11 AM »
That was maybe the most nerd infuriating part of that whole "was Thanos right?" horseshit wankery. Really, we need to have more contempt for "Marvel fans" and self-proclaimed nerds in general praising how they scraped out the entire thematic core of the Infinity Gauntlet (and Thanos personally) for objectively stupid Malthusianism and low level Star Trek tier time travel nonsense. One of the saving graces of Snyder getting fired was he wasn't able to use lame ass time travel in a story with reality shaping powers like he also planned.

Then all these dummies tried to talk us into their multiverse horseshit as the next great storytelling frontier and how much "fun" we're supposed to be having with a multiverse where everyone alive had a traumatic five year time separation and each new "adventure" is about escalating existential cosmic horrors none of the writers have solutions for. Something which everyone completely ignores until somebody steps slightly out of formula in a non-superficial way and our "fans" tut-tut them for making things "too bleak" and "losing the fun and heroics" as Gunn is currently getting.

And then there's the unrelenting inconsistent reality of these "shared universes" that exist only as the main characters (of the moment) move through them. And while I'm on it another thing is how... :rage

:expert
[close]

Unironically, reflecting on the last 80 of these movies in the past decade, come away thinking Zod in MoS is the best realized villain. How he’s by design, in text and in universe, one dimensional. How that single track purpose born from a eugenics forward culture feeds into every action he makes. How when he fails that purpose, he’s basically going for suicide by cop while causing as much despair to everyone else. Makes me wonder what Darkseid could’ve been. What I understand, the direction was inline with Grant Morrison’s take. With Darkseid being this manifestation of evil, a force of nature, one track in his own way. It’s an interesting contrast with the other villains, who have relatively relatable motivations, to see someone that’s unambiguously and unashamedly evil. Oh, you’re saying I should shove myself into the locker? Sure thing.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3124 on: May 14, 2023, 09:24:52 AM »
They should’ve kept Thanos’s motivation as simping for Death, a big breasted skeleton lady, and erasing half of all life for her was his incel opus. Right after he created a female version of himself to make Death jealous or something. Now that would’ve been progressive.

Uncle

HaughtyFrank

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3126 on: May 14, 2023, 05:24:19 PM »

"As a Black Woman with natural red hair, I hope this movie is successful in every way."

:whatisthis

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3127 on: May 14, 2023, 06:45:23 PM »
"Bring Back The Masks"  :lol :dead

These people are so fucking broken
🤴

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #3128 on: May 14, 2023, 07:36:08 PM »
>Wanting to wear a cuck muzzle.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3129 on: May 14, 2023, 09:53:30 PM »
I like when girls wear the mask tbh

reminds me of the hot ninja sluts in mortal kombat  8)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3130 on: May 14, 2023, 11:39:55 PM »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3131 on: May 14, 2023, 11:47:40 PM »
I like when girls wear the mask tbh

reminds me of the hot ninja sluts in mortal kombat  8)
filler I love your ability to boil any issue down to its most simple form.

:heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat :pimp
Spud

benjipwns

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3133 on: May 15, 2023, 08:26:28 AM »
I did the math and if you count 'weeks' as 3 it boils down to about 21 cents a day for each food insecure black resident of NYC.

Next I looked up the cheapest food item on Walmart.com and it's this sweet corn for just 50 cents:
]https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fresh-Sweet-Corn-on-the-Cob-1-each/44391430?athbdg=L1300&from=/shop/[...seo]

I hope they like fighting over half a corn every day because this is some hunger games shit. :rogan
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #3134 on: May 15, 2023, 08:43:23 AM »
Every 60 seconds in Africa a minute passes.
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3135 on: May 15, 2023, 10:03:23 AM »
Every nanosecond literally a genocide

in minecraft
[close]
🤴

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
:O

james

« Reply #3137 on: May 15, 2023, 02:28:40 PM »
 :drudge :drudge :drudge

Miller Lite has gone woke, start purchasing cases so you can shoot at them

Cauliflower Of Love

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3139 on: May 15, 2023, 02:46:53 PM »
the guy having to photoshop all that :rage
🤴

BIONIC

« Reply #3140 on: May 15, 2023, 03:05:56 PM »

Miller Lite has gone woke, start purchasing cases so you can shoot at them

Show us the angry tweets
Margs

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3141 on: May 15, 2023, 03:15:07 PM »
the guy having to photoshop all that :rage

:cac
:shaqc
:whatisthis
:shaking
:existential
:walkaway
[close]

:elon

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #3142 on: May 15, 2023, 03:43:00 PM »
https://twitter.com/MythinformedMKE/status/1658105536972218369

I don't think it will get people quite as angry since you'll find puritans on both the right and the left

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3143 on: May 15, 2023, 03:52:17 PM »
Women also invented tits so they're basically destroying their own invention  :huh
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3144 on: May 15, 2023, 03:57:20 PM »
absolutely women were historically most of the brewers, absolutely

they weren't strong enough to kill mighty mammoth so they were allowed the privilege of sitting around mixing plants and water so Ongo would have a cold one to crack open with the boys when he got back
 :playa
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3145 on: May 15, 2023, 04:22:32 PM »

🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3146 on: May 15, 2023, 05:05:59 PM »
https://twitter.com/MythinformedMKE/status/1658105536972218369

I don't think it will get people quite as angry since you'll find puritans on both the right and the left
Beer seems to be good for growing massive tiddies too. Those sweater puppies are desperate to get out. Nice one Miller.
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #3147 on: May 15, 2023, 08:24:44 PM »
Really don't think GIRL POWER in 2023 is going to upset people as much as Dylan Mulvaney in a bath tub. :lol

anticipatory hypothetical outrage?
 :isthis
[close]

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 10:15:11 PM by benjipwns »

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #3150 on: May 16, 2023, 01:31:59 PM »

https://twitter.com/lporiginalg/status/1658335253227012096

:maf

I don't know why anyone is hitching their flag to Cleopatra. She was literally part of a foreign dynasty ruling Egypt.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 01:38:17 PM by HaughtyFrank »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3151 on: May 16, 2023, 01:45:38 PM »
Morally ambigious characters :nope

Saving the princess from the demon king in my self-made Gundam transformer  :ohyeah
🤴

james

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3153 on: May 16, 2023, 04:18:35 PM »
The University of Amsterdam has been taken over by their radical left wing students and teachers

https://twitter.com/uvarebellion/status/1658475769839112194

Free Palestine, Carbon Zero, Decolonize, No Police on campus. All in one protest. :dead
The only thing missing is the trans nonsense but they probably don't get along with the people calling for a intifada.
🤴

BIONIC

« Reply #3154 on: May 16, 2023, 04:27:06 PM »
Dutch Directness :rejoice
Margs

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3155 on: May 16, 2023, 05:08:24 PM »

:maf

I don't know why anyone is hitching their flag to Cleopatra. She was literally part of a foreign dynasty ruling Egypt.
You could almost call her the original coloniser and white supremacist!
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3156 on: May 16, 2023, 05:10:24 PM »
The University of Amsterdam has been taken over by their radical left wing students and teachers

https://twitter.com/uvarebellion/status/1658475769839112194

Free Palestine, Carbon Zero, Decolonize, No Police on campus. All in one protest. :dead
The only thing missing is the trans nonsense but they probably don't get along with the people calling for a intifada.
I wonder how tempted they are to let them run it for a few weeks and watch the whole thing collapse before they get their degrees?
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #3157 on: May 16, 2023, 05:48:53 PM »
Paying attention to aggregated user review scores for random garbage media isn't stupid, it's the praxis of the vanguard.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #3158 on: May 16, 2023, 06:35:39 PM »
Before the show’s premiere, the series was criticized by the Egyptian government and others who condemned the show for not portraying Cleopatra with white skin. Many accused the creators of “robbing” Egyptians of their history. James addressed the backlash on The Wayner Ayers podcast, saying, “I find it sad that people are either so self-loathing or so threatened by Blackness that they feel the need to do that, to separate Egypt from the rest of the continent.” The next day, she called the controversy “fundamentally racist” on Steph’s Packed Lunch and said Cleopatra’s race is “a very small part of the conversation, really.”
https://decider.com/2023/05/15/queen-cleopatra-audience-score-review-bombed-rotten-tomatoes/

The response from the people who made this documentary has been just so crazy. Like how can you not see that this is textbook cultural appropriation made by a bunch of Americans and Brits while actual Egyptians just shake their heads?
Imagine some documentary declared that Nelson Mandela was actually Arab and then respond to critic with "I find it sad that people are so self loathing or so threatened by Arabs that they feel they need to do that"

As fucked up as the history of yellow-face,, black-face, brown-face etc. has been in hollywood, they still didn't go as far as claiming that Genghis Khan was actually a white dude when John Wayne played him.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3159 on: May 16, 2023, 06:38:29 PM »
The unoppressed and uncolonised people of Egypt should sit down, shut up and listen to the Americans and British people making this documentary.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 10:38:39 PM by Potato »
Spud

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #3160 on: May 16, 2023, 06:43:51 PM »

benjipwns

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3162 on: May 17, 2023, 04:43:18 AM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3163 on: May 17, 2023, 08:55:59 AM »
I wonder how tempted they are to let them run it for a few weeks and watch the whole thing collapse before they get their degrees?
The police removed the people wearing fortnite cosmetics caling for a mostly peaceful intifada from the premises

https://twitter.com/Matthijs85/status/1658795354534420480
🤴

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #3164 on: May 17, 2023, 11:12:59 AM »

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #3165 on: May 17, 2023, 01:08:46 PM »
I really want to know who looks at that "fixed" version and thinks "yeah, that's a cool character"

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3166 on: May 17, 2023, 01:46:32 PM »
I really want to know who looks at that "fixed" version and thinks "yeah, that's a cool character"

Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3167 on: May 17, 2023, 01:59:10 PM »
To be fair that mentally capable personTM would be the most popular character in whatever game she's in but for not for the reasons Dove thinks.  :lol
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3168 on: May 17, 2023, 02:55:04 PM »
You could already play as a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow in the old Fallout games.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3169 on: May 17, 2023, 03:19:16 PM »
Before the show’s premiere, the series was criticized by the Egyptian government and others who condemned the show for not portraying Cleopatra with white skin. Many accused the creators of “robbing” Egyptians of their history. James addressed the backlash on The Wayner Ayers podcast, saying, “I find it sad that people are either so self-loathing or so threatened by Blackness that they feel the need to do that, to separate Egypt from the rest of the continent.” The next day, she called the controversy “fundamentally racist” on Steph’s Packed Lunch and said Cleopatra’s race is “a very small part of the conversation, really.”
https://decider.com/2023/05/15/queen-cleopatra-audience-score-review-bombed-rotten-tomatoes/

The response from the people who made this documentary has been just so crazy. Like how can you not see that this is textbook cultural appropriation made by a bunch of Americans and Brits while actual Egyptians just shake their heads?
Imagine some documentary declared that Nelson Mandela was actually Arab and then respond to critic with "I find it sad that people are so self loathing or so threatened by Arabs that they feel they need to do that"

As fucked up as the history of yellow-face,, black-face, brown-face etc. has been in hollywood, they still didn't go as far as claiming that Genghis Khan was actually a white dude when John Wayne played him.

Literally nobody gave a fuck when Bridgerton made the Queen of England black, because at no fucking point did anyone pretend Bridgerton is a documentary.

I also can't imagine a lot of black folks are super thrilled with the implication there's nobody black in history worth making a documentary about so they came up with this we wuz kangs fairy tale nonsense instead.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3170 on: May 17, 2023, 05:48:19 PM »

Literally nobody gave a fuck when Bridgerton made the Queen of England black, because at no fucking point did anyone pretend Bridgerton is a documentary.

I also can't imagine a lot of black folks are super thrilled with the implication there's nobody black in history worth making a documentary about so they came up with this we wuz kangs fairy tale nonsense instead.
Bridgerton's clear success also puts to bed the notion that "alt-right chuds" are to blame for trash like Captain Marvel, Forespoken and other wokebait underperforming.
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3171 on: May 17, 2023, 08:01:54 PM »
exactly, it's the age-old "Ghostbusters 2016 criticism is sexist!" vs. "Annihilation 2018 also featured a team of 4 scientist women and everyone loved it because it wasn't dogshit"
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #3172 on: May 17, 2023, 09:21:24 PM »
exactly, it's the age-old "Ghostbusters 2016 criticism is sexist!" vs. "Annihilation 2018 also featured a team of 4 scientist women and everyone loved it because it wasn't dogshit"
omg nobody has ever heard of whatever you're talking about, what matters are the permanent enduring corporate brands that make up the cultural superstructure of capitalism not some low budget movie nobody knew to review bomb :social

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #3174 on: May 17, 2023, 11:34:00 PM »
I do not identify as female. Can I participate in the settlement?

The lawsuits were brought on behalf of “female” employees and temporary agency contractors.  “Female” in the “Group/Class member(s)” definition includes persons who self-identified as female or who have not identified a gender, but who have a “female-identifying name.”  Any current or former Riot employee or temporary contractor may contact the Claims Administrator to correct, confirm, or otherwise provide information about their gender for purposes of participating in the settlement.  If you do not identify as female and received a Class Notice, please contact the Claims Administrator to correct this information.

What should I do if my legal gender or identified gender is different from when I worked at Riot?

The settlement covers individuals who were recorded or identified as female, based on available records, at any point during the class period.  You can participate in the settlement even if you do not currently identify as female.  Please contact the claims administrator if you have questions regarding your eligibility to participate in the settlement.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #3175 on: May 19, 2023, 04:49:08 AM »
https://twitter.com/ZaidJilani/status/1659225026875342848

I really don't care too much about who was lying to who here (the latest claim is that the "Karen" was actually in the right, but who knows), but it really is a bit crazy how random interactions get turned into national news.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #3176 on: May 19, 2023, 06:20:53 AM »
What else would they show on the national news, national news? PASS.

I can only speak for myself but when that Chipotle manager got temporarily fired for refusing to serve those repeat dine-and-dashers unless they paid in advance, I didn't believe the kids for even one hot second. On the otherhand, when I first saw the Citi Bike vid I took it at face value because she seemed so guilty. And if there was bikes to spare, why was this guy so insistent he have hers? There's doesn't seem to be any upside for the guy, but i've seen enough videos on r/publicfreakouts of women (usually white women) exhibiting this same "Me first!" behaviour that the guy's version seemed plausible. If it turns out she was in the right it'll be the first time I can remember getting got. I'll finally get a taste of how all those Smollett/Heard posters felt.

Polident Hive

« Reply #3177 on: May 19, 2023, 06:50:00 AM »
Personally, I probably wouldn’t get into a fight with some pregnant nurse over a share bike, film the encounter, and share it knowing people online will work towards ruining her life. Easier to douse it with radioactive isotope and make it off limits for us both.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3178 on: May 19, 2023, 09:07:19 AM »
https://twitter.com/AttorneyCrump/status/1657918241614774275

The video for those who haven't seen it.

Bike rentals, you will own nothing and you will be happy  :crowdlaff
🤴

james

« Reply #3179 on: May 19, 2023, 10:53:05 AM »
She deserves to be cancelled for yelling help like a weird wind up toy