Author Topic: Sports gaming ghetto thread  (Read 69979 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Sports gaming ghetto thread (really this thread is only for me)
« Reply #300 on: January 29, 2014, 01:30:10 AM »
Yep, I don't blame EA. The NFL's the one who wants the exclusivity. The reason there's so much NBA product (Baller Beats, GM for Tablet/Phones...which is actually a fun little time killer) in comparison is because Stern was quite open about his belief that you enlarged the pie as long as there was some level of quality/markets to find so the more the merrier. The NFL is quite a bit more monopolistic in its interests though. And Madden is such a long time pillar of just gaming in general.

It's a shame 2K didn't do All-Pro a year later so it would have been on PC. As rough as NBA 2K is on PC it'd be tough living with Live 08's PS2 port like the Madden and NHL people do for their respective sports.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #301 on: January 29, 2014, 01:38:25 AM »
It won't happen but I wish EA would just do a PC version of Madden so I could have it modded and such with all time great teams and a college mod and stuff like that.

Like you said the last PC version was 08 and that's a little long in the tooth for any modders to continue making real changes with.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #302 on: January 29, 2014, 01:51:05 AM »
Gridiron Solitaire is out for PC,it's great. You should buy it
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #303 on: January 29, 2014, 02:09:05 AM »
Gridiron Solitaire is out for PC,it's great. You should buy it

Looks interesting. Never heard of it. I'll give it a try.

I really want front office football seven. But I would feel bad for paying $35 bucks for it so I will wait for an inevitable price drop on it.

pilonv1

« Reply #304 on: January 29, 2014, 06:36:02 AM »
Doubt it will drop, most of the hardcore sim games never change in price due to the small market. The College Years is still over $10 despite being released in like 2004
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #305 on: January 30, 2014, 01:20:13 AM »
It won't happen but I wish EA would just do a PC version of Madden so I could have it modded and such with all time great teams and a college mod and stuff like that.

Like you said the last PC version was 08 and that's a little long in the tooth for any modders to continue making real changes with.

The one which made me unhappy was NaturalMotion's Backbreaker Football game deciding to chicken out on the user-created costumes and teams. I wonder if they devoted enough time to researching the actual legal standing of user-created data on their servers, Safe Harbor, etc. It could have been an amazing, paradigm-changing entry to the market.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #306 on: February 02, 2014, 03:36:02 PM »
Pretty cool.

Welcome to March Madness 2K14! What started as a simple 5-team Demo has evolved into the most in-depth, accurate College Basketball project the NLSC has ever seen! Accurate looks, ratings, styles of play, presentation, overlays; you name it!! We have two versions of the Mod available: A Lite Version, which will not overwrite a single one of your default NBA files! Also, for users who desire, in addition to the Lite Version, we have a Full Version, which will fully immerse you into the NCAA Basketball world, but will overwrite your default NBA files (recommended to be used along with the JSGME Generic Mod Enabler)! There's a list below of everybody who assisted in any way in getting this mod released, whether it was making files, converting files, assisting me in learning with the roster; anything. This is a community project, don't forget that! This doesn't get done without the help of the entire NLSC! Thank you guys so much for your overwhelming support and help and positivity since the very first Demo release! You guys are awesome!! So, without further adieu...

http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=94232

Himu

« Reply #307 on: February 02, 2014, 05:16:34 PM »
Someone make a game about this:

Just a dude with a football doing touches and shit and he has to avoid traffic
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #309 on: April 01, 2014, 09:21:17 PM »

pilonv1

« Reply #310 on: April 02, 2014, 05:06:16 AM »
Front Office Football 7 is on Steam Greenlight, vote for it pls
itm

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #311 on: April 02, 2014, 11:42:41 AM »
Goddamn, that UFC game looks shit hot.
AMC

Stoney Mason

« Reply #312 on: April 07, 2014, 12:47:57 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #313 on: May 08, 2014, 11:55:38 PM »
EA SPORTS MMA also looked pretty damned good at the time. Too bad it was crap to play. It had ALL KINDS of extra stuff the THQ UFC series in it could only dream of: hype reels, tournament integration, spectator mode, players can broadcast their own commentary, etc.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #314 on: May 09, 2014, 12:09:42 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #315 on: May 09, 2014, 09:08:57 PM »
NBA 2k14 on sale for 7.50 on PC. Not a bad year to pick up the game as the ultimate base roster was brought back for this edition of the game.

http://www.ultimatenba2k.com/

http://www.amazon.com/NBA-2K14-Online-Game-Code/dp/B00D93B5VI

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #316 on: May 15, 2014, 04:29:02 AM »
UFC game honestly looks like they're using a lot of the same assets from the EA Sports MMA game. Not that there's anything wrong, or even surprising about it... Even the timing feels similar.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #317 on: May 21, 2014, 04:33:50 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #318 on: May 28, 2014, 01:26:58 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #319 on: June 10, 2014, 01:57:44 AM »
Big Live 15 screen:

Comparison to Live 14:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 01:59:51 AM by benjipwns »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #320 on: June 10, 2014, 02:14:58 AM »
holy shit
AMC

benjipwns

« Reply #321 on: June 10, 2014, 02:40:10 AM »
video about it:

Takuan

« Reply #323 on: June 18, 2014, 12:26:46 PM »
Big Live 15 screen:
Looks like they've caught up to 2K, aesthetically. I have no faith in EA's ability to deliver a good basketball game, but competition is good. I feel like VC will phone in 2K15 much like they did 2K14. I've got it pre-ordered for a great price, but my expectations are low.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #324 on: June 18, 2014, 12:28:20 PM »
EA hasn't made a good game of basketball in so long, I have no confidence in their ability at all to do so anytime soon. While I joked about how awful live looked last year, if it played a good game of b-ball I would have been right there looks be damned.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:31:11 PM by Stoney Mason »

Takuan

« Reply #325 on: June 18, 2014, 12:37:57 PM »
EA hasn't made a good game of basketball in so long, I have no confidence in their ability at all to do so anytime soon. While I joked about how awful live looked last year, if it played a good game of b-ball I would have been right there looks be damned.
Did you play 2K14 at all? The next gen versions did some things right, but everything being designed around their stupid currency left a really bad taste in my mouth. Exhibition mode was on point, typical 2K series fuckery aside.

The fact that it sold so well leads me to believe they'll be even more aggressive with IAP type stuff with 2K15.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #326 on: June 18, 2014, 12:48:41 PM »
Did you play 2K14 at all? The next gen versions did some things right, but everything being designed around their stupid currency left a really bad taste in my mouth. Exhibition mode was on point, typical 2K series fuckery aside.

The fact that it sold so well leads me to believe they'll be even more aggressive with IAP type stuff with 2K15.

I didn't like the currency stuff either or IAP stuff but ultimately for me a basketball games comes down to how it plays when I play it locally with friends. The extra stuff is nice but its still extra for me.

Which is not to say 2k14 was perfect gameplay wise. But its been a better series for a one on one basketball game for awhile now. And this is coming from some one who still remembers loving live 95 back in the day. Live just became too arcadey at some point and they never ever got back to making a simulation game. Even when live had the freestyle stuff which signaled a brief resurgence for the series it was still hopelessly arcadey by that point.

etiolate

« Reply #327 on: June 18, 2014, 02:32:21 PM »
For me, basketball games come down to how they play in single player exhibition/season. That's where I spend most of my time. I did like My Player however and the RPG aspect of it in 2k.

My problem has been the way 2k feels, and how so many bball sims are slow and iso-based. I'm into running a good team offense and I don't feel 2k has ever done that in a good way. NBA Courtside 2 had the best representation of basketball in my opinion and I've been annoyed nobody's copied it so far. And NBA Courtside on on Gamecube had good transition play (which about all sims completely fail at) and nobody played that game either. Then Left Field dispersed and we're stuck in 2k style basketball that's heavily reliant on average sliders to mimic real life stats without mimicing real life play.

Takuan

« Reply #328 on: June 18, 2014, 03:10:38 PM »
For me, basketball games come down to how they play in single player exhibition/season. That's where I spend most of my time. I did like My Player however and the RPG aspect of it in 2k.

My problem has been the way 2k feels, and how so many bball sims are slow and iso-based. I'm into running a good team offense and I don't feel 2k has ever done that in a good way. NBA Courtside 2 had the best representation of basketball in my opinion and I've been annoyed nobody's copied it so far. And NBA Courtside on on Gamecube had good transition play (which about all sims completely fail at) and nobody played that game either. Then Left Field dispersed and we're stuck in 2k style basketball that's heavily reliant on average sliders to mimic real life stats without mimicing real life play.
Yup, you cannot replicate Spurs 2014 finals-tier ball movement in 2K14, plain and simple. Automatic turnover.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #329 on: June 18, 2014, 04:39:54 PM »
I just started my 5th season in my career on 2k13.

On another note:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/18/rbi-baseball-14-xbox-one-ps4/
©ZH

benjipwns

« Reply #330 on: June 21, 2014, 02:31:53 AM »
Next to the 2K logo...STEAM LOGO:

:omg :hyper :omg

Stoney Mason

« Reply #331 on: June 23, 2014, 06:40:51 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #332 on: June 23, 2014, 07:10:20 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #333 on: June 25, 2014, 05:58:20 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #334 on: June 25, 2014, 08:05:48 PM »
:rofl

benjipwns

« Reply #335 on: June 25, 2014, 08:51:02 PM »
In the Summer of 2012, EA SPORTS made a rather brilliant hire in bringing in former professional basketball player Scott O’Gallagher to work on the NBA Live development team.

After speaking with numerous sources close to both companies, it appears that O’Gallagher has left EA SPORTS & accepted an offer with 2K Sports. We haven’t been able to reach confirmation on what exactly that offer entails in terms of a position, but we’re under the impression that it deals with NBA 2K15‘s gameplay side of development.

To help further the rumor that his new position is with 2K Sports, we’ve noticed that two of his recent followers are 2K Sports & 2K Games employees. It’s incredibly likely that this is just a coincidence, but given the timing it lends further credibility to the 2K Sports rumor.

NBA Live 13 didn’t ship on its targeted date after O’Gallagher had been there for a few months, and EA SPORTS confirmed that they were focusing on NBA Live 14 instead. Live 14 released to a rather poor Metacritic rating, which lead to a series of open letters from the game’s executive producer Sean O’Brien.

In 2009, Mike Wang left 2K Sports to work for EA SPORTS & on NBA Live. Roughly a year and a half later, Wang had departed the studio to head back to 2K Sports. While we still don’t know the reason as to why O’Gallagher has left, having those two basketball minds potentially working together is exciting for sports gamers.

With NBA Live 15 releasing in October, it’s tough to tell what impact this may or may not have on development. O’Gallagher did solid work on Live 14‘s biggest gameplay additions last year in signature dribbling & team-specific defenses, but we’ve yet to hear of any additions to NBA Live 15 he may have worked on.

Rarely do you see employees jump to a competitor mid-cycle in the gaming industry, so it’s rather shocking news. We’ve reached out to confirm what O’Gallagher will be doing at 2K Sports, and we’ll update our article once we’ve had confirmation.

benjipwns

« Reply #336 on: July 17, 2014, 04:00:45 PM »

curated by

benjipwns

« Reply #337 on: July 29, 2014, 11:30:17 PM »
sometimes, jerseys don't load properly apparently
http://a.pomf.se/ksjoxx.webm

benjipwns

« Reply #338 on: August 12, 2014, 09:18:12 PM »
http://www.twitch.tv/2k/b/557491047?t=66m30s

SimBaller
Now that the PC news is out there, I want to make clear that MyLEAGUE will be in the PC version of the game as well (PC is a full port of PS4/XB1), despite what the original post says about it being exclusive to XB1/PS4.

And :bow Steamworks  :bow2
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:35:05 PM by benjipwns »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #339 on: August 12, 2014, 10:16:06 PM »
http://www.twitch.tv/2k/b/557491047?t=66m30s

SimBaller
Now that the PC news is out there, I want to make clear that MyLEAGUE will be in the PC version of the game as well (PC is a full port of PS4/XB1), despite what the original post says about it being exclusive to XB1/PS4.

And :bow Steamworks  :bow2

Very cool news

pilonv1

« Reply #340 on: August 12, 2014, 10:53:35 PM »
Awesome stuff. Will finally get back into 2k now.
itm

benjipwns

« Reply #341 on: September 12, 2014, 12:41:50 AM »
http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news/2014/obes-open-letter-3
Considering all the work that’s gone in so far, we will be taking a few extra weeks to polish the game and make sure you get an incredible NBA experience from the moment you first boot up the title. This extra development time means we will be moving our launch date to October 28 to line up to opening night of the 2014-15 NBA season. This was a hard decision, but it’s the right one, as we are totally committed to delivering the highest-quality game we possibly can. You’ll be hearing a lot more from us over the coming weeks, starting with a brand-new gameplay blog that will give you the first details on all the ways we plan to deliver on our promises to build a better experience.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #342 on: September 16, 2014, 10:57:37 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #343 on: September 23, 2014, 01:35:29 AM »

pilonv1

« Reply #344 on: September 23, 2014, 04:11:43 AM »
PC version?!  :gladbron
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #345 on: September 23, 2014, 06:02:02 AM »
Whoa.

pilonv1

« Reply #346 on: September 23, 2014, 06:20:21 AM »
The NJPW mods that will come :rejoice
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #347 on: September 24, 2014, 09:44:36 AM »
Awesome. Now if only Madden could get a PC version.

benjipwns

« Reply #348 on: September 25, 2014, 03:20:59 AM »

:lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #349 on: September 25, 2014, 10:00:56 AM »
R.I.P. NFL 2K  :'(

Yeah. That was smart business, but it was just about the shittiest move in the history of game development shitty moves.

benjipwns

« Reply #350 on: October 03, 2014, 09:45:17 AM »
NBA 2K15 is ready for preloading on Steam (sometime today, I assume normal Steam update time), GMG just sent out keys. (I used 25% off code and decided I'd bite for $45 since it's a current gen port and I didn't buy the last two games until they were $10.)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #351 on: October 03, 2014, 09:53:45 AM »
I hope that means a price drop for 2k14. I'm ready to move on from 2k13. I'm in my 7th season, during a GM sit down he ask me to mention 5 players to trade for. I don't know why I even do this since it's screwed up the last team. They end up trading the best PF we have for another PG and now every time I sit and come off the bench we are down by 15. It's not fun anymore.
©ZH

benjipwns

« Reply #352 on: October 06, 2014, 11:44:12 PM »

17 minutes, stupid me I paused it earlier today thinking it wouldn't be until standard Steam update time like normal

they're treating PC version way too well this year

Stoney Mason

« Reply #353 on: October 07, 2014, 11:28:22 AM »
Played for a little bit. Won't really be able to test it out until I'm able to play with my brother on the weekend.

My initial impressions. I'm not sure I like how animated it feels. This is compared to the PC version last year which was based on the old gen versions. I felt like that version was snappier and there was less waiting for animations to play out. Maybe its just something I need to get use to.

Overall very similar to last year except with a slight graphics upgrade.

I'll go into more detail pros and cons when I play it this weekend.

benjipwns

« Reply #354 on: October 07, 2014, 05:23:30 PM »
Yeah, I was hearing that last year about the current gen version. There's like five times as many frames to the animations or something.

Part that makes me  :dead is that the game runs better on same/higher settings than last year despite being NEXT GEN UPGRADE except for some strange choppiness during the starting lineup intros.

Plus Full Screen Windowed  :rejoice

Stoney Mason

« Reply #355 on: October 07, 2014, 05:27:50 PM »
For me the game feels better and looks less choppy with vysnc on. And I almost never turn on Vsync in any game. But its preferable here even though it minutely effects your timing on shots.

benjipwns

pilonv1

« Reply #357 on: October 07, 2014, 09:40:36 PM »
Going to need some PC performance graphs, I have a 670 I want to upgrade and I'm not playing this at less than 60fps
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #358 on: October 07, 2014, 09:42:09 PM »
I'll run something and tell you my frames tonight with my card.

benjipwns

« Reply #359 on: October 07, 2014, 10:24:12 PM »
What's your CPU?

My 1GB 560 seems just fine with it. It's actually being used unlike in the prior PC ports.