Author Topic: someone beats ffxii in 13 hours  (Read 2211 times)

Himu

someone beats ffxii in 13 hours
« on: March 13, 2007, 12:45:20 AM »
That is by playing normally, without running away.

Here's the person's (Red Scarlet) last time stamp screen shot before heading off for the last area apparently:

The last two minutes of the game:

http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/131858.avi
IYKYK

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
Re: someone beats ffxii in 13 hours
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 12:49:27 AM »
that screen looks oddly familiar
萌え~

Himu

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 12:53:31 AM »
IYKYK

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 12:54:48 AM »
why did you post first pic a while back, I remember saying you underleveled fran, assuming it was your screen.
萌え~

Himu

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 01:01:48 AM »
It's red scarlet's. Underleveled? Did you read what I said? This is playing through the game normally and not sitting in one area leveling up like the game wants players to do. Either way, if playing that way has her under leveled.
IYKYK

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 01:07:36 AM »
Finishing Mario in 5 minutes = awesome.

Finishing FFXII in 13 hours = not so much.

I mean, props to Red Scarlet for doing it, but...ehhh. It's just not very interesting.
odb

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 01:09:26 AM »
yeah as in fran was never used, underleveled, useless, etc.
萌え~

Error2k4

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 06:23:43 AM »
I respect scarlet and all but...

I dont know what this proves, that FF12 is short? ok. I dont really see the point of speedrunning RPGs to me it goes against the whole point of the genre which is taking things slowly and just playing at a relaxed pace. oh well it's still cool so props to her.
AAA

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 06:53:52 AM »

I dont know what this proves, that FF12 is short? ok. I dont really see the point of speedrunning RPGs to me it goes against the whole point of the genre which is taking things slowly and just playing at a relaxed pace. oh well it's still cool so props to her.

Exactly. It's not even cool to watch RPGs or longer adventure games being speedrun. Ever seen the 5 hour run of Ocarina of Time? It's fucking boring.
odb

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 08:26:54 AM »
I saw a tool-assisted DW1 speedrun in 20 min that was strange. Kept on using the emulators save/restore function to avoid encounters, then used 'sleep' and whittled away at the Dragonlord doing 1 point of damage per turn.

I'm 60 hours into FFXII now... almost finished with the regular hunts but that damn dragon in the Paramania Rift (during the snowstorm) pwned me, I almost got him though... now to try some new gambits. Some of the more challenging hunts, and summon battles, in the game (when you can't just rely on gambits to auto-battle) are kinda fun, actually, more enjoyable than the core game.
^_^

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 08:30:20 AM »
Yeah, the summon battles and latter hunts are amazing.
odb

Himu

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 10:10:28 AM »

She didn't do a speed run did she? She said she was playing it normally. If anything it shows me how padded the game is, especially if she says she played normally. That's how I play my rpgs, I just run through without running away but I don't bother grinding, unless the game makes me grind.
IYKYK

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 03:55:45 PM »
He's not trying to show you guys a cool speed run, he's trying to call FF12 shallow.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 04:11:26 PM »
He's not trying to show you guys a cool speed run, he's trying to call FF12 shallow.
thinly veiled attempt himu!
萌え~

Error2k4

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 05:17:57 PM »

She didn't do a speed run did she? She said she was playing it normally. If anything it shows me how padded the game is, especially if she says she played normally. That's how I play my rpgs, I just run through without running away but I don't bother grinding, unless the game makes me grind.

she sure as hell didn't play 'normally'. when you start talking about how much it took you to get to a place and being like "I will get to this place in so so hours and I need to this and just ignore the other crap" that's not playing normally, since she basically had everything laid out before attempting to play this way. if you were playing normally I'm pretty sure you couldn't beat the game in 13 hours.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 05:22:32 PM by Error2k4 »
AAA

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 06:08:58 PM »

she sure as hell didn't play 'normally'. when you start talking about how much it took you to get to a place and being like "I will get to this place in so so hours and I need to this and just ignore the other crap" that's not playing normally, since she basically had everything laid out before attempting to play this way. if you were playing normally I'm pretty sure you couldn't beat the game in 13 hours.

Pretty much. Himu needs to cut back on drinkin that...

:9

Candyflip

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 08:43:22 PM »

People either do that or sit there and grind for 10 hours. Take your pick.
ffs

Error2k4

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 08:45:30 PM »
I'll take the chick in your avatar
AAA

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 09:14:54 PM »
It took me an hour to beat the rogue tomato in the beginning.

Boo

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 09:41:06 PM »
I would really want to play this game if the main character wasn't so fucking gay. Basch should have been the main character AND YOU KNOW IT

QFT, Vaan (and even less so Penelo) doesn't really have much to do with the story at all.
^_^

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 09:47:52 PM »
I would really want to play this game if the main character wasn't so fucking gay. Basch should have been the main character AND YOU KNOW IT

QFT, Vaan (and even less so Penelo) doesn't really have much to do with the story at all.

That's what I like about the game. Throw him out of the team at the first opportunity, and stick with Balthier as leader for the whole time.
odb

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 01:07:02 AM »
It took me an hour to beat the rogue tomato in the beginning.

theres a tomato?

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 01:09:04 AM »
odb

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 09:22:51 PM »
People played FFXIII? lolz i'm too cool for that shit

bluemax

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 01:32:28 AM »
I talked to her about this awhile back when she first found out people were speed running the game.

Apparently there are people who did it in 9, she did it in 13 because she didn't get quite as crazy/anal as they did. She said it made the game more fun/interesting to her because the pacing was a lot quicker, likened it to playing something like Diablo I think. Apparently there are only a few licenses needed to pull this off and you can get most of the AP with some trick early in the game. The rest of the AP comes from stealing the AP doubling accessory early on. Also getting good at chaining the mist attacks.

I figured after finishing the game the first time it could be done in say under 40 hours, but I didn't realize people would push it this far. But I mean, whatever it's their free time. Some people perfect their Madden skills, or their CS skills, other people speed run RPGs.
NO