Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1188546 times)

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
Re: Sales Talk Thread of Don't Diss Sales Talk, You Lamers
« Reply #2580 on: January 12, 2013, 03:52:12 PM »
Love the new title  :lol

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
Re: Oscar-sama's Sales Thread of Sales Enlightenment for Sales Losers
« Reply #2581 on: January 12, 2013, 03:53:56 PM »
if sony comes conservative with ps4 then they will die. vita was a conservative handheld and it got slaughtered at the hands smartphones that are essential for consumers and can do a hell of a lot more than play games. if ms doesnt ass it up and puts out a box that can successfully stream internet media + the media i already own AND can interact with my smartphone then they will crush the competition.
pcp

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2582 on: January 12, 2013, 04:02:07 PM »
Microsoft seems to have their poop in a group better than Sony.  Sony is going to have to significantly overhaul their online to get on par with Microsoft.  Nintendo is heading towards Gamecubeland.  The Wii U could be their last console ever and just go handheld only after the Wii U.
🍆🍆

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2583 on: January 12, 2013, 06:42:30 PM »
i sure dont think wiiu will be nintendo's last console; they can invest some of their megabux into serious r&d and try to come out with a better console a few years down the line. alternatively if they really hit bad times i dont think it'd be that hard for them to find a way to market an inexpensive toy that does shit-all except deliver the latest nintendo franchises to millions of eager children around the world.
pcp

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #2584 on: January 12, 2013, 07:47:08 PM »
i sure dont think wiiu will be nintendo's last console; they can invest some of their megabux into serious r&d and try to come out with a better console a few years down the line. alternatively if they really hit bad times i dont think it'd be that hard for them to find a way to market an inexpensive toy that does shit-all except deliver the latest nintendo franchises to millions of eager children around the world.

i don't know what you think the result of that R&D could be. an ecosystem to compete with apple/google? hardware to compete with intel/nvidia?

it's now all nebulous overlords and off the shelf hardware. the gamecube was the swan-song of custom silicon wizardry in game consoles, the ps3 was its funeral.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 07:51:28 PM by headwalk »

Himu

« Reply #2585 on: January 12, 2013, 07:53:20 PM »
Can't wait for Sony to leave the gaming arena and for Samsung to buy all of their developers and make a console.
IYKYK

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
Oscar-sama's Sales Thread of Sales Enlightenment for Sales Losers
« Reply #2586 on: January 12, 2013, 08:26:47 PM »
MS One console future :bow2
dur

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2587 on: January 12, 2013, 08:32:39 PM »
Extremely custom silicon would make BC problematic and Nintendo is kinda in love with Gamecube stuff.Just look at WiiU,Gamecube still lives there.
cat

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #2588 on: January 12, 2013, 08:34:48 PM »
So oscar you think this is it for sony? A failed gen and its over?

I think what happens to Sony was going to happen in most permutations of success or failure of their gaming business.  They're not in financial trouble because of PS3 or Vita or anything like that.  They're a company in trouble because of major failings in other areas both within the company and within the domestic economy. 

Gamers seem to think somewhat naively that Sony runs around the Playstation business, when it's really no more or less important than Ericsson or Sony Insurance.

I firmly believe that either Panasonic or Sony aren't going to survive in their existing forms.  One will make it, the other won't.  I think Kaz Hirai is so far showing to be unwilling to do what needs to be done to make the company stable again, so I'm not confident Sony will be the survivor.

What do you think it is though since one of the issues is supposedly being dealt with (TVs with that gaping wound)?

Just curious
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 08:36:50 PM by Purple Filth »

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2589 on: January 12, 2013, 08:46:57 PM »
Sony has been trying to restructure for quite a while,see Stinger.

I guess there is just too much of internal resistance/people on top are very reluctant to do something drastic...
 :-\
cat

Tasty

« Reply #2590 on: January 12, 2013, 10:13:09 PM »
They need to start making some Nexus phones, ditch Vaio for Chromebooks, and redouble down on their Google TV efforts. Only then can Sony truly achieve salvation.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2591 on: January 12, 2013, 11:28:21 PM »
They need to start making some Nexus phones, ditch Vaio for Chromebooks, and redouble down on their Google TV efforts. Only then can Sony truly achieve salvation.

"How to Go Out of Business"
by
Andrex
sup

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #2592 on: January 12, 2013, 11:52:42 PM »
:lol

Oscar, Japanese companies must not drop TVs. I am using a Sammy TV but I'd hate for the market to be just Korea and Chinese products.

Sony might strike back with their bet with Crystal LCDs so we will see.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #2593 on: January 12, 2013, 11:54:18 PM »
No,they won't.  If they keep TVs, they'll be out of business. 
vin

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #2594 on: January 12, 2013, 11:55:36 PM »
So you are fine with just LG and Samsung dominating?

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #2595 on: January 12, 2013, 11:57:01 PM »
So you are fine with just LG and Samsung dominating?
That's going to happen anyway. Not really worth talking about at this point.
vin

Tasty

« Reply #2596 on: January 13, 2013, 12:00:16 AM »

"How to Go Out of Business"
by
Andrex

Hey, they'd last longer than they're going to otherwise, and at least this way we'd get some worthwhile gadgets from them before that happens.

cool breeze

« Reply #2597 on: January 13, 2013, 12:13:20 AM »
I don't know how popular sony's other divisions are.  That xperia z sony recently announced is probably the nicest looking android phone, or phone period.  Although it's one of those large phones with a 5 inch screen, and it's an android phone, so I doubt I'd ever get one.

Crystal LCD sounds like another one of Sony's pet projects that'll remain a pet project, niche product, or years away from a mass consumer appeal. 

I saw one of those small ~12 inch OLED displays at a sony stores years ago.  An OLED TV still hasn't been released.  The tech has been used in the personal viewer/visor thing.  Can't imagine either of those helping Sony much.

back to games, are any of sony's franchises popular? years ago I thought: god of war and gran turismo.  doesn't feel like it anymore.  meanwhile, nintendo and microsoft can dump a pokemon and halo and make bank. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:15:48 AM by fryinghigh »

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #2598 on: January 13, 2013, 12:14:47 AM »
I'd have bought a Panasonic Plasma but it was a bit costy before plus I didn't want to risk it with any potential burn in and the like. Though I wish I had bought one because they are ending the development of Plasmas forever. Sad times.

So Samsung and Sharp were my only options and I picked Samsung because as you said, it was cheaper and thinner to boot. Never went with Sony because expensive as fuck with nothing special about their TVs.

And I am also an Xfag so...

As for Korean dominating, well I don't have any problem but we always need competition to innovate.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2599 on: January 13, 2013, 12:41:18 AM »
hmm
Oscar, Japanese companies must not drop TVs. I am using a Sammy TV but I'd hate for the market to be just Korea and Chinese products.
Never went with Sony because expensive as fuck with nothing special about their TVs.

As for Korean dominating, well I don't have any problem but we always need competition to innovate.

sorry

:P
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:01:56 AM by maxy »
cat

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #2600 on: January 13, 2013, 01:40:42 AM »
maxy

you are like me, please understand

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2601 on: January 13, 2013, 08:44:13 AM »
Dunno,I have plenty of Sony stuff around...mostly covered in heavy layers of dust though
What goes around in console business stays in console business.

/another maxy anecdotal post

Will try to print my own observations to whole of the EU,fell free to correct me Europeans.

Sony TV downfall started like 10 years ago.Bunch of new TV brands appeared,cheap and they all came with like 3 year warranty(Europe stuff).So people were hmm,who cares if it's not some recognizable brand,if it breaks after 3 years I will just buy another one...I only watch news anyway

Fast forward to 2012,big retailers still have Sony TV stuff in electronics area,but it's like 4-5 TVs grouped in one place,surrounded literally by 100 other non Sony TVs.
Guess where the people go...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:49:53 AM by maxy »
cat

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2602 on: January 13, 2013, 08:46:57 AM »
Sony wanted to be a premium brand but it didnt offer anything premium over Samsung hdtvs.

Maybe in some niche way that no one cared about.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2603 on: January 13, 2013, 09:04:37 AM »
maxy, can you hint use where are you from? Russia? Southern America?

hahaha
I mentioned it a few years ago.

Croatia,hello neighbor.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:21:19 AM by maxy »
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2604 on: January 13, 2013, 09:07:53 AM »
 :-*
cat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2605 on: January 13, 2013, 09:17:24 AM »
Analysis: Why the PS3 77m report is likely false. #1
IDC a research firm has recently reported that the PS3 has apparently overtaken the Xbox 360, 77m to 76m, widely discussed in this thread. Myself and others that follow sales have noticed and argued why it's very unlikely this is the case and that IDC are either lying or mistaken (I'm thinking the latter which I'll get to shortly.) Either way it's no surprise from the company that gave us this little gem. This is doing the rounds on most of the sites without anyone bothering to do much research, and people here are using it in debates.

First off I'll go back to the last solid PS3 shipment number we got before Sony merged PS2 and PS3 quarterly shipments. This would be a LTD of 63.9m as of March 31st, the end of Sony's FY. That Q the PS3 was down 0.2m YOY.

The following Q's looked like this.

Q2 Apr/June: 2.8m PS2 + PS3
Q3 July/Sep: 3.5m PS2 + PS3

In Q2 2011 the PS3 shipped 1.8m, it's noted in the financials that the PS3 was down this Q but it's unclear whether they mean in terms of Revenue or Units. What we do know is that the PS3 was down around 160,000 units in the US (NPD) and up in Japan 50,000 units. So between the two, down 110,000 units. No other data for Europe or around the world.

In Q3 we know for Sure PS3 was down, as it shipped 3.7m by itself in 2011, in Q3 this year it sold 3.5m with the PS2 included as well. It was down in the US by 260,000 units and down in Japan 275,000 units. So those two regions combined 525,000. Again no data for Europe or elsewhere. In the same period last year the PS2 shipped 1.2 million.

By end of September the sheer maximum amount of PS3's there could be on shelves was 70.2 million, that is without Sony shipping any PS2 at all, the likelyhood of that is low.

It's debatable what PS3 is truly at end of September, anywhere from 63.9 - 70.2.

I imagine (feel free to debate this!) Q2 broke down into around 1.8m PS3 (flat) and 1m PS2 (down 400k) and Q3 being 2.8m PS3 (down 900k) and PS2 700k (down 500k).

This would put PS3 at about 68.5m. It may be higher, it may be lower It's a good average for what we've got to work with though.

Fast forward to today and we apparently have 77 million PS3's. For comparison, last Q4 Sony shipped 6.5m PS3's. Even if we go off that highest figure 70.2, that means they would have had to have shipped 6.8m this Q. Of course it wasn't at 70.2, more likely the 68.5 I arrived at. So make that 8.5m Sony would have had to have shipped this Q to reach 77 mill.

This makes no sense given;

A) They're down in the US this Q around 550,000 units, and down in Japan around 125,000 units. So 675,000 combined.
B) Reaching 77m means PS3 just had it's best ever year shipping 15 million! This is up 700k on its previous best, despite being down Q1,Q3 (probably Q2 given the sales data we have) and down in the US this year over 1.14m and down in Japan over 330,000k.
C) Sony were not even forecasting 15m shipped. They expected around 13m PS3, and 16m PS2 + PS3 combined for their FY (ends march, Q1 will likely be similar to this years, certainly not up!)

We don't have any data for Europe, the strongest market for Sony. This doesn't automatically mean it's up or even flat there though. the US is 360's strongest market and that's dropped 25% there. Simply having 'PS3 is a beast in Europe' as your argument won't do when you have no numbers or evidence to back it up.

Lastly we have the 70m figure from Sony at the start of Nov, which means Sony would have had to have shipped 7m between Nov-Dec. This is more than what they've done any other Q in PS3 history despite having a month shaved off (where retailers are buying in prep of the holiday.)

My thoughts on how IDC arrived at these numbers. Well, they either guessed. Or they have seen Sony's financials, which state PS3 + PS2 shipped around 6.8m combined and added that onto the previous combined figure of 70.2m.

Is there a way the 77m figure is true? Sure, Sony shipped 8.5m during this Q. For that to happen they would have had to have stuffed the channels (big time).

MS did this last holiday you say? Well, 360 had it's best ever year in actual sell through last year in the US. In its biggest market it was actually very slightly up during the holiday. (2011) All evidence we have for PS3 this year does not suggest the same. There are other arguments as to how that figure they shipped isn't as abnormal as many think.

No offense OP, but you seem to get a little too passionate about PS3 competing against 360. I mean, the figures not adding up was already pointed out by a number of posters in the original thread. Most of us said it would be wise to just wait for the official shipment figures since it seemed a little early for the PS3 to be overtaking the 360.

However, it's going to happen eventually. It's best you accept it sooner rather than later. More than likely, PS3 will end up passing the Wii at some stage too within the next few years. It's an inevitability. Maybe you dislike this fact, but maybe you can take some solace in the fact that it's happening at a point that it doesn't really affect the generation.

Wii already pretty much spanked both the 360 and PS3 when it mattered most. And 360 was very competitive and gained a lot of mindshare and performed very well. Even if the PS3 eventually ends up "number one", it'll happen when it has no bearing on the outcome of this generation. Is that not enough for you?

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2606 on: January 13, 2013, 09:42:34 AM »
If you guys were made CEO of Nintendo for 2013, what would you do? Within reason of course - licensing IPs for smartphone games isn't going to happen, for instance.

I think the WiiU could have a turn around but the problem is that its window is limited by tech. Still, it has an opportunity to reach a solid user base and build for a profitable short term future. But that will require a software output Nintendo hasn't really done on a console in a long time.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2607 on: January 13, 2013, 09:53:21 AM »
Make a new F-Zero then dont care everyone do whatever you want - Gaben

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #2608 on: January 13, 2013, 10:07:08 AM »
Croatia is beautiful and you got some good footballers :fbm
USA

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2609 on: January 13, 2013, 10:16:09 AM »
I'd sell all the IPs off, half to Sony, half to MS, and watch the fanbases split and intensify the console wars.  So what, you say, whoever gets Mario wins. In a surprise twist, I would sell the rights to make Mario platformers (2D and 3D) to...a popular iPhone dev of some sort.  All the other IPs are split...including the Mario sports games, Party, etc.  I'd put a stipulation in each contract stating that only Capcom may develop a Smash Bros game and can draw on all of Nintendo's IPs whenever they want to make Smash Bros games.  The Smash Bros games have to be multiplatform on PC, Sony, and MS consoles. 

basically, I'd make a bunch of money and make the industry a lot more interesting.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2610 on: January 13, 2013, 10:32:52 AM »
Croatia is beautiful and you got some good footballers :fbm

I think that's because kids learn to love football as soon as they can walk here/1000000x intensified when they start education.

Internet stuff is "kinda" eating into that these days though :(
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 10:34:42 AM by maxy »
cat

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #2611 on: January 13, 2013, 10:41:55 AM »
are there attractive croatia girls ive never really noticed
USA

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2612 on: January 13, 2013, 10:44:26 AM »
another silly question

of course they are :)
cat

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #2613 on: January 13, 2013, 10:48:15 AM »
i imagine theyd be like dark skinned german girls :drool
USA

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2614 on: January 13, 2013, 11:26:33 AM »
Forgive him Maxy he is a Man City supporter.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2615 on: January 13, 2013, 11:31:39 AM »

hahaha

Croatia,hello neighbor.

Can you hook me up with some Croatian women?  8)
^_^

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #2616 on: January 13, 2013, 11:37:05 AM »
Forgive him Maxy he is a Man City supporter.

we don't have any croats on our team  :'( :'(
USA

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2617 on: January 13, 2013, 11:49:56 AM »

hahaha

Croatia,hello neighbor.

Can you hook me up with some Croatian women?  8)
No
I keep them for myself,sorry
  :P
cat

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #2618 on: January 13, 2013, 12:05:06 PM »
are there attractive croatia girls ive never really noticed
Of course there are.
spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

Time to eat Cro.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:09:45 PM by Flannel Boy »

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #2619 on: January 13, 2013, 12:08:47 PM »
:bow dark skinned germans
USA

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2620 on: January 13, 2013, 12:09:13 PM »
:bow Zagreb :bow2
🍆🍆

Purple Filth

« Reply #2621 on: January 13, 2013, 12:24:18 PM »
Thanks for the answer Oscar and i really can't see them leaving tvs tbh

Analysis: Why the PS3 77m report is likely false. #1
IDC a research firm has recently reported that the PS3 has apparently overtaken the Xbox 360, 77m to 76m, widely discussed in this thread. Myself and others that follow sales have noticed and argued why it's very unlikely this is the case and that IDC are either lying or mistaken (I'm thinking the latter which I'll get to shortly.) Either way it's no surprise from the company that gave us this little gem. This is doing the rounds on most of the sites without anyone bothering to do much research, and people here are using it in debates.

First off I'll go back to the last solid PS3 shipment number we got before Sony merged PS2 and PS3 quarterly shipments. This would be a LTD of 63.9m as of March 31st, the end of Sony's FY. That Q the PS3 was down 0.2m YOY.

The following Q's looked like this.

Q2 Apr/June: 2.8m PS2 + PS3
Q3 July/Sep: 3.5m PS2 + PS3

In Q2 2011 the PS3 shipped 1.8m, it's noted in the financials that the PS3 was down this Q but it's unclear whether they mean in terms of Revenue or Units. What we do know is that the PS3 was down around 160,000 units in the US (NPD) and up in Japan 50,000 units. So between the two, down 110,000 units. No other data for Europe or around the world.

In Q3 we know for Sure PS3 was down, as it shipped 3.7m by itself in 2011, in Q3 this year it sold 3.5m with the PS2 included as well. It was down in the US by 260,000 units and down in Japan 275,000 units. So those two regions combined 525,000. Again no data for Europe or elsewhere. In the same period last year the PS2 shipped 1.2 million.

By end of September the sheer maximum amount of PS3's there could be on shelves was 70.2 million, that is without Sony shipping any PS2 at all, the likelyhood of that is low.

It's debatable what PS3 is truly at end of September, anywhere from 63.9 - 70.2.

I imagine (feel free to debate this!) Q2 broke down into around 1.8m PS3 (flat) and 1m PS2 (down 400k) and Q3 being 2.8m PS3 (down 900k) and PS2 700k (down 500k).

This would put PS3 at about 68.5m. It may be higher, it may be lower It's a good average for what we've got to work with though.

Fast forward to today and we apparently have 77 million PS3's. For comparison, last Q4 Sony shipped 6.5m PS3's. Even if we go off that highest figure 70.2, that means they would have had to have shipped 6.8m this Q. Of course it wasn't at 70.2, more likely the 68.5 I arrived at. So make that 8.5m Sony would have had to have shipped this Q to reach 77 mill.

This makes no sense given;

A) They're down in the US this Q around 550,000 units, and down in Japan around 125,000 units. So 675,000 combined.
B) Reaching 77m means PS3 just had it's best ever year shipping 15 million! This is up 700k on its previous best, despite being down Q1,Q3 (probably Q2 given the sales data we have) and down in the US this year over 1.14m and down in Japan over 330,000k.
C) Sony were not even forecasting 15m shipped. They expected around 13m PS3, and 16m PS2 + PS3 combined for their FY (ends march, Q1 will likely be similar to this years, certainly not up!)

We don't have any data for Europe, the strongest market for Sony. This doesn't automatically mean it's up or even flat there though. the US is 360's strongest market and that's dropped 25% there. Simply having 'PS3 is a beast in Europe' as your argument won't do when you have no numbers or evidence to back it up.

Lastly we have the 70m figure from Sony at the start of Nov, which means Sony would have had to have shipped 7m between Nov-Dec. This is more than what they've done any other Q in PS3 history despite having a month shaved off (where retailers are buying in prep of the holiday.)

My thoughts on how IDC arrived at these numbers. Well, they either guessed. Or they have seen Sony's financials, which state PS3 + PS2 shipped around 6.8m combined and added that onto the previous combined figure of 70.2m.

Is there a way the 77m figure is true? Sure, Sony shipped 8.5m during this Q. For that to happen they would have had to have stuffed the channels (big time).

MS did this last holiday you say? Well, 360 had it's best ever year in actual sell through last year in the US. In its biggest market it was actually very slightly up during the holiday. (2011) All evidence we have for PS3 this year does not suggest the same. There are other arguments as to how that figure they shipped isn't as abnormal as many think.

No offense OP, but you seem to get a little too passionate about PS3 competing against 360. I mean, the figures not adding up was already pointed out by a number of posters in the original thread. Most of us said it would be wise to just wait for the official shipment figures since it seemed a little early for the PS3 to be overtaking the 360.

However, it's going to happen eventually. It's best you accept it sooner rather than later. More than likely, PS3 will end up passing the Wii at some stage too within the next few years. It's an inevitability. Maybe you dislike this fact, but maybe you can take some solace in the fact that it's happening at a point that it doesn't really affect the generation.

Wii already pretty much spanked both the 360 and PS3 when it mattered most. And 360 was very competitive and gained a lot of mindshare and performed very well. Even if the PS3 eventually ends up "number one", it'll happen when it has no bearing on the outcome of this generation. Is that not enough for you?

i assume this response is a verbatim post from GAF also  :lol

and i'm liking this thread derail right now

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2622 on: January 13, 2013, 12:26:44 PM »
If you guys were made CEO of Nintendo for 2013, what would you do?

Make some high-quality games that people are actually interested in? It's not that hard. Or maybe is it, I don't know.
dog

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2623 on: January 13, 2013, 12:33:19 PM »
If you guys were made CEO of Nintendo for 2013, what would you do?

Strip all of the IPs and sell them to the highest bidder, funnel all of the proceeds to my bank account, and retire.  Watch Nintard manchildren cry as half assed Mario titles flood the marketplace.  Ensure that IP sales include lucrative percentages to my bank accounts so that way when games like the Super Mario Bros. hit iOS and sells a shitload, I can continue to get rich.
🍆🍆

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #2624 on: January 13, 2013, 12:47:36 PM »
If you guys were made CEO of Nintendo for 2013, what would you do? Within reason of course - licensing IPs for smartphone games isn't going to happen, for instance.

I think the WiiU could have a turn around but the problem is that its window is limited by tech. Still, it has an opportunity to reach a solid user base and build for a profitable short term future. But that will require a software output Nintendo hasn't really done on a console in a long time.

i'd make some ultra low powered piece of shit out of a rasberry pi or something coupled with some nostalgia baiting "an old friend is coming back" marketing campaign, strip all complex operating infrastructure, call it the (prefix) nintendo entertainment system and sell it for $90 with a 500% margin. then sack everyone above minimum wage and get some postgrads to shit out 2D incarnations of nintendo IPs for the rest of time.

essentially what they're doing now, but with the fat trimmed.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:51:51 PM by headwalk »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2625 on: January 13, 2013, 12:52:10 PM »

i'd make some ultra low powered piece of shit out of a rasberry pi or something coupled with some nostalgia baiting "an old friend is coming back" marketing campaign, call it the (prefix) nintendo entertainment system and sell it for $90 with a 500% margin. then sack everyone above minimum wage and get some postgrads to shit out 2D incarnations of nintendo IPs for the rest of time.

essentially what they're doing now, but with the fat trimmed.

Yep, release a NES controller with a raspberry pi equivalent in it that can be plugged into the TV, and watch Nintards and hipsters shit themselves with excitement.
🍆🍆

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2626 on: January 13, 2013, 05:51:58 PM »
Sales stuff

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/386207/wii-u-game-sales-far-behind-launch-levels-for-gamecube-and-wii/

Wii U software sales are "struggling a bit" in the US, according to Cowen & Company analyst Doug Creutz.

Reacting to last night's release of NPD sales data for the US market in December, Cowen said in a research note: "Software sales for the Wii U remained well behind launch levels for the original Wii and GameCube in December.
"Totals for the November-December period were -43% lower than software sales for the Wii and -50% lower than those for the GameCube."
cat

« Reply #2627 on: January 13, 2013, 05:55:27 PM »
WIIUHASNOGAMES MEMEHAHAHAHARITE
野球

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #2628 on: January 13, 2013, 06:26:05 PM »
Sales stuff

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/386207/wii-u-game-sales-far-behind-launch-levels-for-gamecube-and-wii/

Wii U software sales are "struggling a bit" in the US, according to Cowen & Company analyst Doug Creutz.

Reacting to last night's release of NPD sales data for the US market in December, Cowen said in a research note: "Software sales for the Wii U remained well behind launch levels for the original Wii and GameCube in December.
"Totals for the November-December period were -43% lower than software sales for the Wii and -50% lower than those for the GameCube."

It;s just getting worse and worse  :lol

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #2629 on: January 13, 2013, 08:00:13 PM »
woops wrong therad :)
USA

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2630 on: January 14, 2013, 04:24:56 AM »
I think you can safely remove probably,at least for the foreseeable future.$60 games and downloads don't quite mix yet.Not sure if they will ever,asking people to shell out $60 for something that has "zero resale value" is much different than asking $5-$20.

Well,as long as the retail lives.

Just to clarify,what I'm trying to say is that those bottom priced digital games would really need to sell a lot(units) *to make up for $60 games retail revenue downfall.I think $60 digital games sales are pretty negligible at this point.

*PR dream
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:05:19 AM by maxy »
cat

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2631 on: January 14, 2013, 06:49:41 AM »
Unless were talking COD/WoW/Diablo here.

archnemesis

« Reply #2632 on: January 14, 2013, 08:20:04 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if cheaper games like Journey did alright as digital downloads.

archnemesis

« Reply #2633 on: January 14, 2013, 09:17:27 AM »
Of course. The digital sales for retail titles on home consoles must be close to zero.

Father_Brain

Tasty

« Reply #2635 on: January 15, 2013, 08:03:17 PM »
Yeah, Epic Mickey 2 is a disaster in every sense of the word.  The 3DS version'll probably leg out fine, since I doubt it cost Disney much to commission Dreamrift, but the rest?  Yikes.

It's a shame the 3DS game completely wastes the fantastic pixel art and name legacy. SMH Dreamrift.

Tasty

« Reply #2636 on: January 15, 2013, 08:15:43 PM »
I never played the Illusion games but I did (and still do) LOVE Disney's Magical Quest. It's incredibly short, but the music and graphics were top-tier magical stuff, and the three costume mechanics were all equally fun to use.

Tasty

« Reply #2637 on: January 15, 2013, 08:19:18 PM »
It's also not that great of a platformer because of the floaty jumping, but I still think it's a really fun game.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2638 on: January 15, 2013, 09:29:47 PM »
I liked this thread when Malek was posting Croatian girls pics :drool
^_^

Tasty

« Reply #2639 on: January 15, 2013, 09:54:49 PM »
According to Stump, Nirolak, and John Harker, that number is way too low. According to Stump the Wii version of EM2 sold more than 270k on its own.

Oscar san please shine some light on us.