Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1188622 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Oscar-sama's Sales Thread of Sales Enlightenment for Sales Losers
« Reply #2880 on: February 03, 2013, 02:44:03 PM »
FADE is separate from VGChartzzz, but it's basically just a spin-off doing essentially the same thing.
dog

« Reply #2881 on: February 03, 2013, 03:33:12 PM »
Just as a dumb question because I didn't follow things that closely then, but what's the story surrounding VGChartz? I know referencing them is a no-no, but why specifically? I assume it's because of inaccuracies, but are the inaccuracies a result of just not having all the right information and making best-guesses in good faith with what they do have, or do they just pull numbers out of their ass and post them simply because they know people like having hard numbers to look at even though they're wrong? Basically, I'm wondering if legitimate fans of sales statistics dislike them simply because the numbers aren't reliably sourced and can't be validated, or because they are perceived to be charlatans?

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #2882 on: February 03, 2013, 03:45:28 PM »
Basically, I'm wondering if legitimate fans of sales statistics dislike them simply because the numbers aren't reliably sourced and can't be validated, or because they are perceived to be charlatans?
I believe it's a bit of both. They use to have a "system" where they polled a certain number of stores with their "contacts" and then extrapolated numbers from that but it was often insanely inaccurate so whenever real numbers were released or leaked they would change the numbers to match those.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2883 on: February 03, 2013, 03:51:28 PM »
How much does it cost for an NPD game sales subscription?
🍆🍆

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2884 on: February 03, 2013, 04:32:36 PM »
WAY more than a person could afford iirc
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2885 on: February 03, 2013, 06:04:46 PM »
Here's how VGChartzzz gets its numbers:

1. Call a few stores and ask about sales
2. Ask people on forums what they bought
3. Extrapolate those numbers to the entire country
4. Alter their site's numbers based on NPD and publisher shipped numbers
dog

Tasty

« Reply #2886 on: February 03, 2013, 06:11:54 PM »
How much does it cost for an NPD game sales subscription?

Like $20k or something? Last time I checked.

« Reply #2887 on: February 03, 2013, 06:27:12 PM »
Here's how VGChartzzz gets its numbers:

1. Call a few stores and ask about sales
2. Ask people on forums what they bought
3. Extrapolate those numbers to the entire country
4. Alter their site's numbers based on NPD and publisher shipped numbers

Should one be equally as skeptical about their historic sales data? I assume it can't be trusted as anywhere close to 100% accurate, but are those figures too just pure BS?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2888 on: February 03, 2013, 07:10:22 PM »
who are the people that run that shit site? do they actually make money off that or do they do this bullshit in their free time?
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #2889 on: February 03, 2013, 07:16:46 PM »
who are the people that run that shit site? do they actually make money off that or do they do this bullshit in their free time?

It has ads out the wazzoo so they're probably making a killing.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2890 on: February 03, 2013, 07:44:44 PM »
The ZZZ's make it legit.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #2891 on: February 03, 2013, 08:06:17 PM »
The ZZZ's make it legit.

Oddly it used to be "vgcharts.org," I have no idea why he'd change it to something much less legit sounding.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #2892 on: February 03, 2013, 08:09:17 PM »
Fuck ioi, that guy was a shitbrick before NPD stopped giving numbers.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #2893 on: February 03, 2013, 11:02:41 PM »
many times I've seen VGChartz sourced in mainstream news articles, I'm guessing because even USA Today (or whatever) doesn't have a better source to go to.
Which is kinda nuts, of course.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #2894 on: February 03, 2013, 11:22:06 PM »
... then they're probably accurate minus ioi's tendency to add an arbitrary percentage to Nintendo games (he feels the official tracking services lowball them).

Fucking ninthings and their chronic persecutory delusions.
Unzip

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2895 on: February 04, 2013, 12:07:03 AM »
many times I've seen VGChartz sourced in mainstream news articles, I'm guessing because even USA Today (or whatever) doesn't have a better source to go to.
Which is kinda nuts, of course.
My former boss, bless his gullible heart came at me with chartz sales numbers. I informed him why reading the back of a cereal box and picking a number at random would be more beneficial than what he is doing, he seemed to understand but the following month he came back with those same numbers and I was like " :-\ " and he was like "there are no other sources" and I was like "there is no milk in the canteen but you wont catch me drinking cyanide". The work I've done in the gaming industry has left me baffled by how little actual intelligence there is going around and I'm glad that I have moved on :-/

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2896 on: February 04, 2013, 02:06:11 AM »
right, the accuracy of the data is irrelevant. it just needs to be roundabouts the ballpark so they can present to investors and have a vague sort of sourced strategy on the books
duc

Himu

« Reply #2897 on: February 04, 2013, 02:14:12 AM »
Android.

I mean, Andrex.

I swear I did not type android on purpose.

Give me a hug.
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2898 on: February 04, 2013, 03:30:07 AM »
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e130204b.html

Capcom Co., Ltd. would like to announce that net sales increased to 72,699 million yen (up 44.6% from the same term last year) in the 9 months of fiscal year ending March 31, 2013. As for profits, operating income increased to 9,838 million yen (up 45.9 % from the same term last year), and ordinary income increased to 10,054 million yen (up 72.6 % from the same term last year). Net income for the current period increased to 6,645 million yen (up 104.9 % from the same term last year).
- Resident Evil 6: 4.8 million (up from 4.5 million initial shipment -- New RE6 Forecast: 5 million)

Capcom: "the flagship title "Resident Evil 6" (for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360), despite recording brisk sales when it debuted, subsequently lost its momentum, resulting in the failure to achieve planned sales and fulfill its role as a driver of sales expansion."

- Resident Evil 5: 6 million (up from 5.9 million)

- DMC: Devil May Cry forecast: 1.2 million units

- Dragon's Dogma: 1.3 million (up from 1.2 million)

- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U and 3DS (budget) were also very successful.

- Resident Evil 5 Pachinko Slot Machine in Japan: 35,000 units sold

- Operation Raccoon City sold an extra 650,000 units in North America and Europe in FY2012.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:53:35 AM by maxy »
cat

Himu

« Reply #2899 on: February 04, 2013, 03:34:45 AM »

Capcom: "the flagship title "Resident Evil 6" (for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360), despite recording brisk sales when it debuted, subsequently lost its momentum, resulting in the failure to achieve planned sales and fulfill its role as a driver of sales expansion."

:bow
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2900 on: February 04, 2013, 03:44:38 AM »
Additionally, the "Monster Hunter Frontier Online" series has remained a perennial favorite and has continued to bring in stable income.

DMC forecast...1.2 mill

Amusement Equipments sales are up 250%

console gaming lol
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:49:30 AM by maxy »
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2901 on: February 04, 2013, 05:36:10 AM »
http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110032
http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015

NI NO KUNI is number one,PS3 fans rejoice

One interesting thing
Skylanders Giants(Wii) is new entry at number 36(unit charts),no other versions in sight.But on all format chart,game sits at number 15.
cat

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2902 on: February 04, 2013, 05:57:52 AM »
Wow Ni No Kuni looks so pretty

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2903 on: February 04, 2013, 06:08:46 AM »
About 500 units difference between JRPG and Fifa.
Fifa was bellow 20k last week.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:21:20 AM by maxy »
cat

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2904 on: February 04, 2013, 06:24:00 AM »
Interesting info on CD Projekt and the Witcher:

2011 Profit: 23,96 mln (5.8 million euro)

2012 Q1, Q2, Q3 profit: 19,59 mln (4.9 million euro)

They are saying that when the numbers roll in for Q4 that will make 2012 their best year ever.

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #2905 on: February 04, 2013, 06:41:26 AM »
basically, the exact numbers are going to be fluff for those types of places anyway.  they're not going to pay the ridic cost of an NPD subscription for that, and NPD doesn't really release any useful information anymore.  so they go to ioi, because, well, even if he's wrong, he sounds like he's not, and that's really the important thing in journalism.

Shit, I hope that VGChartzzzz ends up being the place to go to, give the NPD some competition with the way they protect their numbers, they keep getting more and more paranoid.  Like giving out a few numbers for a few titles for message board users and the press is going to discourage someone for buying the subscription, people who get that are probably more interested in the additional detailed data that it comes with.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2906 on: February 04, 2013, 09:22:12 AM »
The whole thing's been a master class in PR disaster from the very beginning all the way until release.  I'd like to think this would help disavow some people of the myth that there's no such thing as bad PR, but that's probably entirely too optimistic.

I agree.  I don't think the game really deserves to sell millions anyway.  Interesting experiment, but they still ended up with a game with worse combat and less enjoyable cut scenes-- even if DMC is awkward japaneseness, DmC's angry western teen vibe is actually a bit more embarrassing. 

Not a bad game but a bad DMC game for sure.  They could've called it an experimental spin-off or something and left the door open for both series to grow.  The whole "convincing us that DmC is a necessary game" PR angle was the worst thing they could've done.  Don't acknowledge your community, only to treat them like idiots.  There are too many tards in the game industry that don't understand basic diplomacy.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:25:20 AM by Don Flamenco »

treythemovie

« Reply #2907 on: February 04, 2013, 09:36:01 AM »
right, the accuracy of the data is irrelevant. it just needs to be roundabouts the ballpark so they can present to investors and have a vague sort of sourced strategy on the books
It's the same phenomena that causes metacritic to have such a strong influence on the industry. Companies need quantitative information to justify business decisions, even if the data only has a dubious, or rather nonexistent connection to reality.

Shit, I hope that VGChartzzzz ends up being the place to go to, give the NPD some competition with the way they protect their numbers, they keep getting more and more paranoid.  Like giving out a few numbers for a few titles for message board users and the press is going to discourage someone for buying the subscription, people who get that are probably more interested in the additional detailed data that it comes with.
NPD doesn't give a fuck about VGcharts. The people who use it are games and small companies that could never afford NPD's subscription anyways. I doubt NPD has had a single subscriber go "Oh we have VGchartz now, guess we don't have to pay that 20k anymore!"

NPD's real fear is the growing chunk of digital consumption that they're unable to effectively extrapolate. Now that terrifies them. Still doesn't mean you're going to get any additional data from them, unless they get to the point of desperation that they just want to get more google links or something, haha.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #2908 on: February 04, 2013, 01:38:50 PM »
Resident Evil 6: 4.8 million (up from 4.5 million initial shipment -- New RE6 Forecast: 5 million)

What a goddamn shame. I hope the game succeeds in its PC release.
SRY

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2909 on: February 04, 2013, 02:05:23 PM »
doesn't seem like much of a shame by a lot of people's impressions.  I haven't played it yet, but prob day 1 on PC if I can get a deep GMG discount down to $33 like DmC

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #2910 on: February 04, 2013, 02:15:53 PM »
*shrug* I really enjoyed it, especially playing it with my friends. I didn't have any expectations going in and it ended up being this really epic (and I mean literally epic, as in, it's a fucking huge game) third person shooter unlike any I've played. The shooting and melee was a lot of fun, and I didn't think it ever got stale because it focused so hard on keeping you moving to different locales and fighting different enemies. Admittedly, not everything works--a large portion of Jake's campaign is total ass-- but considering the massive scale of the game I can forgive it.

If you get it on PC, hit me up on Steam and I'll be happy to bro-op with you. I have a feeling I'll be playing it a lot.
SRY

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2911 on: February 05, 2013, 05:14:37 AM »
http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/05/square-enix-financials-%C2%A55-7b-loss-amid-increasingly-difficult-console-market/

Square-Enix had a strong run of IP last year, but its latest financial report makes for uneasy reading. The Japanese firm has published a loss of ¥5.7 billion for the nine-month period ended December 31st 2012, and cites the increasingly difficult console market as a key factor.

- Year-on-year profits are up ¥5 billion for the nine-year period ended December 31st 2012.

- The company’s financial project for the end of year is ¥3.5 billion, which is down 42.2% year-on-year. The company is still banking on big sales of Tomb Raider.

- Game sales were positive for the period, up ¥95.7 billion to ¥102.7 billion.

- Square-Enix cites, “the increasingly difficult condition of the world-wide console game market” as a key issue in its financial report.

It’s an about-face for the company, which posted a ¥5 billion profit year-on-year for the previous period, begging questions about the console market’s volatility in the run-up to next-gen formats.

Although profits were down, game sales were up from ¥95.7 billion to ¥102.7 billion, in a year that saw Hitman: Absolution, Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Sleeping Dogs go to market. It also published Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 in Japan, to no avail.

The company still has high hopes for its year-end financial report – presumably as Tomb Raider has yet to launch – with its net profit projection sitting at ¥3.5 billion, which is a 42.2% year-on-year decrease. Still, black is better than red.

In a statement issued this morning – via GI.biz – Square-Enix discussed its slumping financials:

“During the nine-month period ended December 31, 2012, the Company has not recovered the operating loss posted in the six-month period ended September 30, 2012. [This is] primarily due to the increasingly difficult condition of the world-wide console game market, under which the Group is struggling to achieve a fair expected return on its investment.

“On the other hand, content for other platforms such as PCs, smartphones and SNS such as ‘Sengoku Ixa,’ a browser game, and ‘Final Fantasy Brigade,’ a social networking game for Mobage, are generating an acceptable profit.

“In addition, newly released game titles, such as ‘Kaku-San-Sei Million Arthur,’ a social networking game released in April, 2012 serving more than 1 million registered users, have been expanding at a satisfactory pace. Registered users of Final Fantasy Artniks,’ a social networking game released in November, 2012 for Gree, exceeded 1 million at the end of December, 2012.”

bu bu bu console market is doing fine,PS3 is about to hit its stride

If PS4/720 don't start selling millions of software units right out of the bat,gaming industry as we know it today is finished*.

First comment
All of this happened because they didn’t trust and invested on PS3 brand.
:rofl

*It's probably dead already,it just doesn't know it yet
cat

Damian79

« Reply #2912 on: February 05, 2013, 05:16:09 AM »
Something Something Square Enix shoudl seppuku gaijin BS.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2913 on: February 05, 2013, 06:26:02 AM »
Yeah they are playing it smart in smartphone/Edios stuff.

Not sure what to think about FF,what will happen to Versus?Next/last gen game?Renamed to FF15?

total mess
cat

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2914 on: February 05, 2013, 06:27:40 AM »
I doubt Versus has existed for a long time.  A lot of the concepts probably got rolled into games like Type 0, XIII-2, and XIII-3.
🍆🍆

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #2915 on: February 05, 2013, 08:46:14 AM »
:bow

wrasslin' zombies, slide tackle, kick-ass boss fights
SRY

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2916 on: February 05, 2013, 08:47:28 AM »
Since IGN posted this shit today,

Some dude on gaf posted this like a week ago in some Orbis circle jerk thread

It's a new IP for definite. I don't want to say more than that because we're only a few months away and it'll be much more impressive to have a full reveal. It'd be unfair to GG, and this is going to be a really huge event for them. Plus I know very little, and it's no point putting it out there. It' be more detrimental than anything else. I can tell you it's not like Killzone.

I can spill the following comfortably though since I think this developer is a bit of a joke, and I think people are beginning to suspect this anyway. Versus XIII will have another unveiling later this year regarding development for the next generation. It won't have the "Versus XIII" part in the title. It will definitely release in 2014. You can have my account deleted if this information turns out to be inaccurate. News is fresh on this and I'm really confident about it. FF15 and FF16 are underway, both next generation projects. There's a chance FF15, in particular, may be an exclusive release. Kind of. And with that, I'm off to sleep.
cat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2917 on: February 05, 2013, 11:25:47 AM »
i don't know what final fantasy XV and XVI will be fought with, but FFXVII will be fought with F2P microtransactions.

Himu

« Reply #2918 on: February 05, 2013, 11:44:28 AM »
That's either a testament to how starved the audience is for console JRPGs

god i hope it's this
IYKYK

mjemirzian

« Reply #2919 on: February 05, 2013, 01:44:21 PM »
With NG3 and DmC both falling flat on their faces in search of GoW level sales, will Japanese devs stop trying to westernize their franchises?

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2920 on: February 05, 2013, 01:59:41 PM »
With NG3 and DmC both falling flat on their faces in search of GoW level sales, will Japanese devs stop trying to westernize their franchises?

I think they're already stopping this... Tales producer Hideo Baba has said on multiple occasions that Namco Bandai is going this route, and you have the whole "Japanese Hamburger" comment from Hayashi on NG3... Capcom and SE haven't gotten the memo yet though :P
^_^

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2921 on: February 05, 2013, 02:30:40 PM »
if you think this means they'll go back to producing japanese-centered games with the same budgets then
pcp

Himu

« Reply #2922 on: February 05, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/05/square-enix-financials-%C2%A55-7b-loss-amid-increasingly-difficult-console-market/

Square-Enix had a strong run of IP last year, but its latest financial report makes for uneasy reading. The Japanese firm has published a loss of ¥5.7 billion for the nine-month period ended December 31st 2012, and cites the increasingly difficult console market as a key factor.

- Year-on-year profits are up ¥5 billion for the nine-year period ended December 31st 2012.

- The company’s financial project for the end of year is ¥3.5 billion, which is down 42.2% year-on-year. The company is still banking on big sales of Tomb Raider.

- Game sales were positive for the period, up ¥95.7 billion to ¥102.7 billion.

- Square-Enix cites, “the increasingly difficult condition of the world-wide console game market” as a key issue in its financial report.

It’s an about-face for the company, which posted a ¥5 billion profit year-on-year for the previous period, begging questions about the console market’s volatility in the run-up to next-gen formats.

Although profits were down, game sales were up from ¥95.7 billion to ¥102.7 billion, in a year that saw Hitman: Absolution, Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Sleeping Dogs go to market. It also published Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 in Japan, to no avail.

The company still has high hopes for its year-end financial report – presumably as Tomb Raider has yet to launch – with its net profit projection sitting at ¥3.5 billion, which is a 42.2% year-on-year decrease. Still, black is better than red.

In a statement issued this morning – via GI.biz – Square-Enix discussed its slumping financials:

“During the nine-month period ended December 31, 2012, the Company has not recovered the operating loss posted in the six-month period ended September 30, 2012. [This is] primarily due to the increasingly difficult condition of the world-wide console game market, under which the Group is struggling to achieve a fair expected return on its investment.

“On the other hand, content for other platforms such as PCs, smartphones and SNS such as ‘Sengoku Ixa,’ a browser game, and ‘Final Fantasy Brigade,’ a social networking game for Mobage, are generating an acceptable profit.

“In addition, newly released game titles, such as ‘Kaku-San-Sei Million Arthur,’ a social networking game released in April, 2012 serving more than 1 million registered users, have been expanding at a satisfactory pace. Registered users of Final Fantasy Artniks,’ a social networking game released in November, 2012 for Gree, exceeded 1 million at the end of December, 2012.”

LOL
IYKYK

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2923 on: February 05, 2013, 03:23:30 PM »
The company is still banking on big sales of Tomb Raider.

:-\  it's like when you know the dog is gonna die in the movie...

Father_Brain

« Reply #2924 on: February 05, 2013, 03:37:55 PM »
Prediction: after FFXIV bombs a second time and Agni's Philosophy/FFXV/FFvXIII/whatever the first next-gen FF is underperforms, SE Japan will definitively exit the AAA console market.

archie4208

« Reply #2925 on: February 05, 2013, 04:15:50 PM »
SE should quit pussyfooting and go ahead and make FFXIV F2P.  We all know it's inevitable 6-9 months after launch anyway.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2926 on: February 05, 2013, 04:24:43 PM »
They should just do a proper 3d remake of 7 to get some goodwill back and try to revive the ff franchise which has lost relevance.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2927 on: February 05, 2013, 05:01:17 PM »
People on gaf are so dense. There is a thread where they say MS needs to make xbl gold more fully featured in europe just like in the us.

What they fail to understand that its not ms holding shit like netflix back but legal issues. MS cant make it bettet cause it relies on these companies.

That said ms needs to make xbl gold free in europe cause there is no reason to pay for it here since there are no services behind the paywall.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2928 on: February 05, 2013, 05:38:39 PM »
Take Two third quarter FY2012-2013 results

Management Comments

“Take-Two’s positive business momentum continued in the third quarter, enabling us to deliver growth and profits that exceeded our outlook,” said Strauss Zelnick, Chairman and CEO of Take-Two. “Our results benefited from the record-breaking launch of NBA 2K13, along with continued strong demand for Borderlands 2, the successful launch of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and robust holiday sales of our catalog and growing portfolio of digitally delivered offerings. With consumer anticipation building for the launches of BioShock Infinite and Grand Theft Auto V, we are well positioned for a solid finish to fiscal year 2013 and substantial revenue and earnings growth in fiscal year 2014.

“I am also pleased to report that our Board of Directors has authorized the Company to return capital to shareholders through the repurchase of its common stock. Given our strong balance sheet and favorable business outlook in both the short and long-term, we have ample capital to pursue a variety of investment opportunities.”
http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1781747&highlight=

BL2 is 6 million

Earnings Call Info,iMax dude

Q: Talk about GTA's move from Spring to September and how is relates to coming next-gen consoles.
A: GTA stands alone. It's a unique IP. We're all excited about it. We think it's gonna blow people away at a level people don't anticipate. The delay is required to deliver what people expect. September's an open field and a great window. For next gen, nothing's been announced yet, but assuming new consoles are coming, it'll be a light install base initially. I'm sure we'll have an extraordinary array of next-gen offerings.

Q: MLB 2K. Profitable release?
A: Range of losses were announced based on a inherited legacy deal ($30mil). Expectations of a new release reflect a new deal. We're optimistic and enthusiastic both creatively and financially.

Q: GTA V. How should we think about post-sale revenue compared to previous GTA? Full game downloads: primarily from Steam? How does this differ from retail?
A: Couldn't be more enthusiastic about GTA. Full game downloads come from many places: Steam, etc...

Q: Next-gen. Allegedly more focused on media than games. How does this impact you?
A: If that happens. I'd be happy to debate if they will become set top boxes or not. Our job is to make high quality entertainment and meet consumers on their devices, whilst being flexible with business models. Broad based models on next-gen is probably a good thing. Also, they'll be more likely to penetrate than they are now.

Q: Basketball franchises/Borderlands 2. Help us understand the attach rate you're getting.
A: We don't talk about attach rates. Every year, Visual Concepts try to make NBA 2K even better, this year 90+ Metacritic, multi-plat experience, in game purchases. This all means happy consumers, spending more money, making more money. Same with Borderlands. We want to give consumers more value than what they paid for.

Q: Great property coming up in March (BioShock). How do you view retail in 3-6 months and how is pre-order activity?
A: Retail landscape interesting, go back 9 months, things were looking bleak, people were saying it's in decline. We denied this. Like all entertainment business, our industry relies on hits, and it's affected by changing console cycles (we're heading into the end of one). We have the highest expectations for BioShock.

Q: Digital: Your success in digital, how is the margin profile looking against retail? What opportunities are there in creating ongoing relationships with customers, e.g. Season Pass?
A: The margins are pretty much in line with retail, but time to time this changes based on the title, usually a better digital margin. Our properties have been standard bearers for this, e.g. Borderlands, GTA. We see the lifecycle extending greatly and we'll continue to experiment. With tablets becoming bigger, episodic approaches may increase too. We're flexible. We'll try anything that delights consumers so long as it aligns with our high quality.

Q: What are you thinking about next-gen development budgets with key titles, e.g. sports.
A: We don't believe budgets will change significantly, if anything, group wide, our spending will become tighter. Can't go into specifics though.

Q: Install base today is large, 360/PS3 will continue to be major influencers, similar to prior transition, I'm sure there will be cross-generational software post-launch. How do you go about developing for both current and next-gen when clearly development teams want to be innovating but clearly there's a tradeoff to accommodate for current install base?
A: We can't talk about next-gen. We're not the ones to talk about if first. We're all excited about the possibilities and working diligently on them. 4 elements of transition success: 1) strong IP, 2) strong teams, 3) strong tech, 4) strong balance sheet. We have all four.

Q: Facebook is developing for core gamers, does this reset your opinion?
A: Facebook is incredible serving hundreds of millions of people, could be a great platform.

Q: I'm hearing current-gen portability is easier. Philosophically, you see Bungie doing a dual-gen approach, not going specific, if you had the opportunity to do a dual-gen launch?
A: There is not one gamer who will sit out GTA V hoping that there will be something better down the line. GTA V will blow everyone away. We have to wait for announcements. We're always looking over a shoulder. We're planning as well as we can and we think we are well positioned.

Q: Ouya, Valve - lots of people trying to create new solutions. Where do you see the best opportunity?
A: All of the above. We go with the audience. We don't spend resources unless there's a demonstrated audience. We've always been willing to support meaningful initiatives without a large install base. We will be wherever the consumers are.

Q: Timing on NBA expansion into Taiwan/Philippines, different demographics across tablets.
A: We haven't seen meaningful differences across tablet purchases, not sure we can read into it that well. Still in early experimentation mode. We haven't spoken about expanding into other territories, always balancing opportunity with risk. Encouraged by what we're seeing in Asia.

Q: How is NBA 2K online doing in Asia?
A: We're pleased with the tracking in China. We don't have anything at this point to say on further rollout.

Q: On digital delivery, you mention it represents 23% of net revenue. Where is most of this coming from?
A: Borderlands 2/NBA 2K13 for this quarter, and the rest of the catalogue.

Event over! Most of the above is paraphrased/written very briefly, so don't read much into the phrasing! :)

"Are full game downloads primarily because of Steam?"

"Full game downloads come from an array of places including Steam. They're slightly higher than others but not significantly so."

There goes my theory for next gen GTAV :(

But I think they have something
cat

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2929 on: February 05, 2013, 05:52:39 PM »
They also released gta on the og xbox as an upgrade to the ps2 games maxy, gtav enhanced edition will be there man. But i think this will mean pc version would be even later then.

They will announce ps4/720/pc version but delay the pc version by 3/6 months just before release somewhere in 2014.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2930 on: February 05, 2013, 06:19:56 PM »

cat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2931 on: February 05, 2013, 06:33:29 PM »

I think they're already stopping this... Tales producer Hideo Baba has said on multiple occasions that Namco Bandai is going this route, and you have the whole "Japanese Hamburger" comment from Hayashi on NG3... Capcom and SE haven't gotten the memo yet though :P

thank fucking god they're talking about it and acknowledging it as a disastrous way to go.  Japanese devs and publishers as a whole have wasted a lot of time this past gen doing this crap.  they're just not gonna get a taste of the dudebro pie if they ditch their identity. 

It all started with Bomberman: Act Zero.  :lol

SE should quit pussyfooting and go ahead and make FFXIV F2P.  We all know it's inevitable 6-9 months after launch anyway.

It took the failure of the first version of the game to push them to a more WoW-style MMO, so they're not hip to F2P yet.  But they will be soon, like anyone else, unless Final Fantasy has its own built in fanbase to keep the game populated.

Himu

« Reply #2932 on: February 05, 2013, 06:42:43 PM »
They also released gta on the og xbox as an upgrade to the ps2 games maxy, gtav enhanced edition will be there man. But i think this will mean pc version would be even later then.

They will announce ps4/720/pc version but delay the pc version by 3/6 months just before release somewhere in 2014.

A better version of a port of a game released within the same gen is not the same as releasing a better version of a game on next gen consoles. ??? Xbox was last gen, not this gen. More than that, Xbox versions of GTAIII trilogy came out later than the pc versions. Rockstar will not release a next gen version of GTAV.
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2933 on: February 05, 2013, 06:51:31 PM »
Rockstar will not release a next gen version of GTAV
Lies.

They will surely have DLC at some point and without the main game they can't sell it on next gen.
cat

Himu

« Reply #2934 on: February 05, 2013, 07:03:36 PM »
If they release a next gen version it won't have a graphic upgrade.
IYKYK

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #2935 on: February 05, 2013, 07:54:41 PM »
They could do this

Sept 2013 - PS3/360
March/May 2014 - PC/next gen
itm

Himu

« Reply #2936 on: February 05, 2013, 07:59:51 PM »
Did they do that with 360 and ps3 with gta3 trilogy? Nope. There is no precedent for this. Why do you guys think this would even happen. They are just now putting GTAIII, VC, and SA on psn.
IYKYK

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #2937 on: February 06, 2013, 08:35:42 AM »
New MC

PSP WiiU Vita sandwich soon?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2938 on: February 06, 2013, 09:19:05 AM »
Everything is dead in Japan, except the 3DS.
dog