Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1192860 times)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Re: Oscar-sama's Sales Thread of Sales Enlightenment for Sales Losers
« Reply #3600 on: March 15, 2013, 10:31:46 AM »
Omg where are all these 3rd person action melee games oscar

link plz

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3601 on: March 15, 2013, 10:37:15 AM »
So in 6 months nothing released and youre saying its not a niche genre?  :lol

Dude.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #3602 on: March 15, 2013, 10:38:58 AM »
Right, Lager's going full tard now.  Have a great summer, man!

I've been so much more relaxed since he got a one way ticket to ignore-ville.
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3603 on: March 15, 2013, 10:40:08 AM »

Dude.

Well, there was this new games that came out recently. Had something to do with tombs, maybe you raided them. Something like that.
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3604 on: March 15, 2013, 10:41:05 AM »
1. i sat its a niche genre
2. youre saying its not a niche genre
3. i post 6 months of npds
4. you say that proves nothing cause no games in that genre came out then
5. i say that also proves its a niche genre
6. you say im going full distinguished mentally-challenged fellow
7. :pacspit

have nice summer indeed distinguished mentally-challenged fellow! Unless youre gonna share some of them lists or npd top 10's where these games are not  niche youre dead wrong.

Dude.

Well, there was this new games that came out recently. Had something to do with tombs, maybe you raided them. Something like that.

Thats not a melee based 3rd person game, its  a 3rd person shooter/platformer. Completely different genre and one thats  doing pretty good.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:45:52 AM by Premium Lager »

Beezy

« Reply #3605 on: March 15, 2013, 10:53:08 AM »
Tupac :lol

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #3606 on: March 15, 2013, 10:53:20 AM »
DRUNK GO HOME

YOU'RE LAGER
乱学者

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #3607 on: March 15, 2013, 11:18:10 AM »
Crysis 3 - 260k

Well that series is gonna end soon.

archie4208

« Reply #3608 on: March 15, 2013, 11:22:23 AM »
Crysis 3 - 260k

Well that series is gonna end soon.

Thankfully Crytek is segueing into a F2P company so they'll be alright.  :rock

archnemesis

« Reply #3609 on: March 15, 2013, 11:22:35 AM »
That's retail sales, right? It's primarily a PC franchise and there you have to take digital sales into account.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #3610 on: March 15, 2013, 11:26:54 AM »
That's retail sales, right? It's primarily a PC franchise and there you have to take digital sales into account.

I don't think that's going to save it but whatevs. That series needs a massive injection of new ideas anyway. Its run its course.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3611 on: March 15, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »

*Not available on Steam
dog

archnemesis

« Reply #3612 on: March 15, 2013, 11:30:42 AM »
For real? That's just plain stupid.

Edit: I didn't realize it was published by EA.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3613 on: March 15, 2013, 11:34:03 AM »
Crysis looks like it has decent legs as a series. The first sold for a long time and eventually got up to over 3 million worldwide, while the the second debuted at #7 in March 2011 and managed to get up to about the same amount. So, there may be some hope for it, but...uh...probably not a whole lot.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #3614 on: March 15, 2013, 11:39:35 AM »
I think the original sold well because it was a showpiece game at a time when there weren't that many show pieces on the PC. It had a system exclusive vibe going for it with a benchmark approach to graphics to measure your e-peen via video cards. It held a unique spot. Of course it was also constantly on sale for years after that.

I don't think Crysis 3 holds the same unique spot in the industry at this moment. Especially with next gen consoles right around the corner.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #3615 on: March 15, 2013, 12:18:49 PM »
yeah, origin-only looks like another brilliant ea move, plus it doesn't help that the crysis games have been getting progressively stupider with each sequel
sup

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #3616 on: March 15, 2013, 12:27:35 PM »
The Wii U's struggles continued last month, as Nintendo's latest console moved 66,000 units in the US, according to a Macquarie Capital analyst note on yesterday's NPD numbers.

While the Wii U was far outpaced by sales of the Xbox 360 (302,000) and PlayStation 3 (263,000), Macquarie's Ben Schachter described it as a good performance, noting it was up 45 percent month-over-month. The improvement also suggests Nintendo will be able to meet its recently reduced sales targets for the fiscal year, he added.

The Wii U Deluxe model continues to account for the bulk of interest in the system, Schachter said. He noted that more than 70 percent of consumer demand is for that edition, which comes in black, is bundled with the Nintendo Land game, and costs $350 as opposed to the standard edition's $300 tag.

While Schachter was mildly positive on the Wii U's numbers, his attitude toward the console market as a whole was a bit dimmer in the short term.

"With yet another month of double-digit declines (despite the relatively easier y/y comps in 2012), it remains clear that beyond the most important core titles, the industry as a whole continues to deteriorate," Schachter wrote. "We continue to believe that top AAA titles will remain relatively strong, but everything else in packaged goods will deteriorate ahead of the console transition. We believe gamers are questioning paying top dollar for an average experience (especially for younger demographics),when they are able to get other enjoyable experiences from a free or low-cost app."
cat

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #3617 on: March 15, 2013, 01:43:44 PM »
Does Lager really think that those shitty top 10 lists he keeps posting are the extent of NPD data for the last 6-8 years?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3618 on: March 15, 2013, 02:19:59 PM »
Lager must be the greatest fisherman ever cause he keeps getting bites :lol

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #3619 on: March 15, 2013, 02:27:37 PM »
LAGER IS A CG
cat

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3620 on: March 15, 2013, 03:14:27 PM »
 :phil

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #3621 on: March 15, 2013, 03:21:01 PM »
Lager must be the greatest fisherman ever cause he keeps getting bites :lol

so you're saying he's a fishing Pole.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #3622 on: March 15, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
 :comeon
dur

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #3623 on: March 15, 2013, 04:00:09 PM »
For reference the Wii sold 335k it's first February, and the ps3 sold 129k
vin

« Reply #3624 on: March 15, 2013, 04:18:53 PM »
But those platforms didn't have a soft launch strategy going for them, so I don't know why we're comparing them. I think we can all agree that there's no point in comparing against the PS3 as of yesterday when the launch aligned numbers for the Wii U became no longer favorable.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #3625 on: March 15, 2013, 04:22:52 PM »
Soft launch strategy.  That's pretty good.  I'm using that in the future.
vin

« Reply #3626 on: March 15, 2013, 04:37:22 PM »
Soft launch typically suggests that things will strengthen over time...
野球

hampster

« Reply #3627 on: March 15, 2013, 04:41:18 PM »
The Wii U will be fine once it exits beta. I saw on twitter the other day that Minecraft sold more after the full release then it did before
Zzz

« Reply #3628 on: March 15, 2013, 04:55:08 PM »
Soft launch typically suggests that things will strengthen over time...

Just wait until Spaceworld when they drop the hammer. Panic mode Nintendo is best Nintendo. This Christmas, all the big games will be out, there'll be a price cut, and this system will be kicking as much ass and taking as many names as we pretend the 3DS is right now world wide.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 05:15:16 PM by Steve Youngblood »

mjemirzian

« Reply #3629 on: March 15, 2013, 10:42:54 PM »
I'm not big on sales numbers but I consider it a minor miracle that Platinum is still around.

cool breeze

« Reply #3630 on: March 15, 2013, 10:55:38 PM »
at least Mikami and others bailed out for Zenimax

and nintendo 'saved' bayonetta 2 and funded kamiya's wonderful 101, so two more games there.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3631 on: March 16, 2013, 03:52:32 AM »
Oscar, as you say thats not the definition Id use for this genre. And I dont think the people that pick Ass Creed up, or Dark Souls, Darksiders or Batman (kingdom hearts) are looking for something like Bayonetta at all. Dark Souls is being sold as an action rpg, darksiders as a zelda like with better combat, ass creed is an open worldish thingy. All these games try to offer a much deeper experience is some sense.

The Ninja Gaidens, God of Wars and DMC's are just a different genre, button combo mashers.

If we cant agree there is a fundamental difference between those games then there is no point in talking about sales. We can agree to disagree but there is no point in insults.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3632 on: March 16, 2013, 03:57:26 AM »
No point in insults?

FORGET THIS FORUM THEN

archnemesis

« Reply #3633 on: March 16, 2013, 03:57:56 AM »
It's often called the "stylish action" sub-genre.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3634 on: March 16, 2013, 04:11:05 AM »
Also what makes platinum games a niche within a niche is their looks, bro's that like god of war wont pick up bayonetta.

Same goes for vanquish I think compared to bro shooters.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 04:14:30 AM by Premium Lager »

Damian79

« Reply #3635 on: March 16, 2013, 04:13:48 AM »
You do realise a niche genre is determined by sales and not how many games get released right?  Next thing you know you are going to say that SSB games are a nice genre too because of how many similar games gets released.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #3636 on: March 16, 2013, 04:14:16 AM »
Also what makes platinum games a niche within a niche is their looks, bro's that like god of war wont pick up bayonetta.

Same goes for vanquish I think compared to bro shooters.

I tried to sell a Gears-playing friend on Vanquish and when I said "rocket knees" he just made this face: :wtf
SRY

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3637 on: March 16, 2013, 04:16:24 AM »
Exactly Raban.

Damian: there is niche genres, and there is one offs. Ssb is a one off in this fighting game category of its own. Maybe there are a few more games in it (powerstone?) but the success is def for one game only. Its a sub category of beat em ups, but I almost wouldnt call it a genre cause its just one or two games.
Its something of its own.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 04:21:44 AM by Premium Lager »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #3638 on: March 16, 2013, 04:30:28 AM »
Platinum just doesn't make games people want. It's not really about the gameplay, it's the looks. They make unappealing games.

I look at Platinum's games, I see the complete over the topness and I see something that's awesome. People see them and think they  look dumb. They look "strange".

Bayonetta looks pretty fucking silly I bet to your average person. "Here's this strange witch chick that uses hair? what?And then she's fighting these angel things in strange maybe European settings?" God of War is way easier to comprehend and well it also doesn't seem as silly. It also seems serious and "mature". Now I think God of War is dumb, but hell in my days at Gamestop, I'm not sure that's quite the general consensus. I'm not sure you're average gamer necessarily thinks game stories are stupid and they sure want games that are seemingly "mature" and "serious". Or at least games that make an effort.

With Vanquish, it's just like wtf is this? A robot dude fighting robots? Naw that's got nothing on military people killing stuff as seen in Gears. I mean I think Gears is ok, but I think Vanquish is amazing. But many people kept telling me how it looked stupid with it's robot man rocketing around.

It's pretty obvious why Anarchy Reigns failed.

And well Rising well, I mean the Metal Gear community was seemingly furious when the game was announced. Well, I guess because it looked stupid and over the top. Not the grandiose epic from the masterful Kojima.

And I think that's the problem, they just aren't making games that are capturing the western audience. They aren't making games with supposedly serious subject material that are pushing serious narrative. They are making over the top dumb things and I don't think that's what your average consumer wants. The look of their games is well again silly. It's not very "anime" enough for the crowd that that would appeal to and I guess they look "dumb". The games they are makeing are good, but it's hard to make people get to the point when they are actually playing them.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:09:20 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Damian79

« Reply #3639 on: March 16, 2013, 04:31:38 AM »
You are missing the point, basically a niche genre is like adventure games that dont sell any more.  By your definition realistic driving sims like GT and Forza are niche too.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #3640 on: March 16, 2013, 04:52:55 AM »
Platinum just doesn't make games people want. It's not really about the gameplay, it's the looks. They make unappealing games.

I look at Platinum's games, I see the complete over the topness and I see something that's awesome. People see that and it looks dumb. It's looks "strange".

Bayonetta looks pretty fucking silly I bet to your average person. Here's this strange witch chick that uses hair? what?And then she's fighting these angel things in strange maybe European settings? God of War is way easier to comprehend and well it also doesn't seem as silly. Now I think God of War is dumb, but hell in my days at Gamestop, I'm not sure that's quite the general consensus.

With Vanquish, it's just like wtf is this? A robot dude fighting robots? Naw that's got nothing on military people killing stuff in Gears. I mean I think Gears is ok, but I think Vanquish is amazing. But many people kept telling me  hot  it looked stupid with it's robot man rocketing around.

It's pretty obvious why Anarchy Reigns failed.

And well Rising well, I mean the Metal Gear community was seemingly furious when the game was announced. Well, I guess because it looked stupid and over the top. Not the grandiose epic from the masterful Kojima.

And I think that's the problem, they just aren't making games that are capturing the western audience. They aren't making games with supposedly serious subject material that are pushing serious narrative. They are making over the top dumb things and I don't think that's what your average consumer wants. The look of their games is well again silly. It's not very "anime" enough for the crowd that that would appeal to and I guess they look "dumb". The games they are make are good, but it's hard to make people get to the point when they are actually playing them.

Kim Kardashians Butt

« Reply #3641 on: March 16, 2013, 06:35:13 AM »
I think platinum games issue is a marketing problem more than anything else. I'm not convinced that all gamers want serious narratives. Saints Row puts a good end to that argument and sells pretty damn well for what it is. Plats games don't sell because the advertising for them is terrible and there's very little awareness of them. You seriously think people aren't going to buy a Metal Gear title because it has....action? This is an issue of awareness, PR, and marketing.

It doesn't help that 4 poisoned the well for the fan base. MGS for me used to be a day one franchise. I have yet to buy PW, HD Collection, or Rising.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 06:37:16 AM by Kim Kardashians Butt »

Kim Kardashians Butt

« Reply #3642 on: March 16, 2013, 06:42:58 AM »
Exactly. Bayo - their most successful game - is banana land. Rahx's post ignores fact and just appears to be a sweeping indictment on all gamers who haven't bought Vanquish or share his tastes. You really think a game like Vanquish wouldnt sell gang busters with a proper marketing back I g behind it? To my memory, I was surprised vanquish even came out when it did. I remember zero commercials. Plus these games aren't even on steam. Vanquish would clean up shop during a steam sale, guaranteed.

Also, gamers are against a specific TYPE of Japanese game. P+ games aren't that kind of game I think.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 06:44:31 AM by Kim Kardashians Butt »

Kim Kardashians Butt

« Reply #3643 on: March 16, 2013, 06:46:23 AM »
I just attribute lagers aversion of the nihonjin to be bad taste. :yeshrug

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3644 on: March 16, 2013, 06:49:26 AM »
Kim Kardashians Butt having an avatar of Kim Kardashian sans butt causes a weird disconnect in my mind

Kim Kardashians Butt

« Reply #3645 on: March 16, 2013, 06:50:11 AM »
Nsfw.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3646 on: March 16, 2013, 11:07:13 AM »
More butt less lip

Beezy

« Reply #3647 on: March 16, 2013, 11:13:39 AM »
Exactly. Bayo - their most successful game - is banana land. Rahx's post ignores fact and just appears to be a sweeping indictment on all gamers who haven't bought Vanquish or share his tastes. You really think a game like Vanquish wouldnt sell gang busters with a proper marketing back I g behind it? To my memory, I was surprised vanquish even came out when it did. I remember zero commercials. Plus these games aren't even on steam. Vanquish would clean up shop during a steam sale, guaranteed.

For 5 bucks. Woopty doo.

Kim Kardashians Butt

« Reply #3648 on: March 16, 2013, 11:22:42 AM »
:troll

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3649 on: March 16, 2013, 11:39:34 AM »
Vanquish did sell far better than Binary Domain, for whatever that's worth.
dog

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3650 on: March 16, 2013, 12:12:15 PM »
I enjoyed both games very much, of the two I would have expected Binary Domain to sell more though

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3651 on: March 16, 2013, 12:21:18 PM »
Binary Domain box looks like budget euro jank. Plus you fight robots and the game had no buzz at all.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #3652 on: March 16, 2013, 12:22:23 PM »
And no COOP.

I cannot play a shooter with no COOP. DISGUSTING.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #3653 on: March 16, 2013, 12:56:01 PM »
I think platinum games issue is a marketing problem more than anything else.
But Rising was marketed well.

I'm not convinced that all gamers want serious narratives.
Of course not, but lets look at new ips that have caught on this gen. Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Gears of War, Call of Duty. I'm sure there's more, but all these games have more "realistic" and/or seemingly more "serious" storytelling/tone. I think thats whats in vogue now. Of course I'm not trying to say this is some complete absolute, but I think it's true.
Saints Row puts a good end to that argument and sells pretty damn well for what it is.
It really dosen't though, because it ignores the other point of my argument other then the fact that of course it's not absolute. Saints Row isn't strange. It's over the top gangster crap that any American can get where it's coming from. It's type of humor is pretty much present in American comedies. It's nothing like the wackyness of Bayonetta, not even close.

You seriously think people aren't going to buy a Metal Gear title because it has....action?
That's not what I said. I said people weren't interested in it because of the over the top "silliness" it has. People buy action games all the time, but thier is a huge difference in tone between God of War and Rising, and that's probably what turned people off. Read the threads when the game was announced, it was all "this looks stupid" "this looks completely dumb compared to Kojima!".

Plats games don't sell because the advertising for them is terrible and there's very little awareness of them.
Thats probably part of it, but I'm not sure marketing would really help that much. i thought Bayo had enough awareness, doesnt seem like it sold enough. Rising sure did and it's a Metal Gear game, apparently that wasn't enough.

It doesn't help that 4 poisoned the well for the fan base. MGS for me used to be a day one franchise. I have yet to buy PW, HD Collection, or Rising.
But it really didn't. 4 was extremely popular and well received, the audience loved the game. Even with how stupid MGS4 is, it sure is'nt seen the same way as Rising and that's probably why the fanbase did not turn out for the game.

Rahx's post ignores fact
How? Because I ignore the fact that Bayo is probably their biggest title? Relative to what though? And while you say their games don't have enough awareness, I don't think that was the case with Bayo and yet how well did it do?

just appears to be a sweeping indictment on all gamers who haven't bought Vanquish or share his tastes.
But it's not. I look at whats popular today, Skyrim, Gears of war, Call of Duty, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Dark Souls, Battlefield, Red Dead Redemption, The Witcher, ect ect, games that got a lot of media coverage and that caught on with a lot of gamers this gen and well I notice that really it's not quality that separates Plats games, it's possibly the way they look. But I also like most of those games listed, so its not like I'm against them.

I'm not sure what makes you sure marketing would really help? What makes you think people would be receptive to the marketing?

You really think a game like Vanquish wouldnt sell gang busters with a proper marketing back I g behind it?
No I don't.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 03:11:52 PM by Rahxephon91 »

mjemirzian

« Reply #3654 on: March 16, 2013, 01:22:19 PM »
I'd love to have Bayo, MGR, and Vanquish on PC. Especially Vanquish since it would be 60 fps and I could use the mouse to aim instead of analog.. I might have a chance in hell of clearing God Hard mode.  :-[

Beezy

« Reply #3655 on: March 16, 2013, 02:04:40 PM »
Rah win's this round.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #3656 on: March 16, 2013, 02:06:31 PM »
Of course. 2D woman > 3D pig disgusting woman.

Kim Kardashians Butt

« Reply #3657 on: March 16, 2013, 04:16:26 PM »
How well was MGR marketed? Are we talking a commercial the week of release or plenty of media fellatio (Tomb Raider, Far cry 3, Skyrim) for the better part of a year? In the age of the AAA game, simply having a commercial on TV does not mean "marketed well". Look at the new Gears of War
 I have no clue when that game comes out but I'm seeing it all over the place ALREADY. that is good marketing. I didn't even know MGR was coming out last month until the demo by comparison.

You mention popular games that are popular based on how they look, using Dark souls as an example when - and I'd love to be proven wrong by factual sales data - I'm sure Bayonetta sold about as well if not better than Dark Souls.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3658 on: March 16, 2013, 04:21:14 PM »
When I was in London last month every bus had MGS on it.

archnemesis

« Reply #3659 on: March 16, 2013, 04:21:41 PM »
Bayonetta sold 1.35 across two platforms.

Dark Souls sold 1.19 in the west[1], 415k for the PS3 in Japan, plus a fair amount of PC sales.