Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1188613 times)

cool breeze

Re: Oscar-sempai's Sales Thread of Sales Enlightenment for Sales Losers
« Reply #4920 on: December 13, 2013, 01:01:25 AM »
was Sega that bad of a third party publisher during the PS2 generation sale-wise? 

they put out some great stuff during those initial few years

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #4921 on: December 13, 2013, 01:03:50 AM »
Maybe it's just because 10+ years have passed, and Nintendo have released more installments in their tentpole franchises, but I just don't see Sega circa Dreamcast death having titles with the same clout as Mario, Zelda, or even Donkey Kong. What franchises did they have back then that had that sort of clout? Sonic? The 2k sports games? Waning interest in arcade type games helped kill Sega too.

But seriously... if Knack can sell 100k outside of bundles on PS4, how much would Mario 3D world do? Anyone wanna wager a guess?

Mario would definitely do well or at least better than Sonic has simply because they are better and deeper games than Sonic ever was.

MarioKart and Zelda would probably do fine but I have a feeling they would do less than people expect and be less of a big deal once that system exclusive cache has been removed.

Smash Brothers would do fine.

The thing is while they have plenty of other franchises in addition to these like Animal Crossing, Donkey Kong Country, Metroid, Kirby etc those are the franchises that would become a lot less of a big deal no longer being exclusive.

It's like the way people always talked up Sega's rich history of ip's but beyond a really small niche group, nobody cares about Shinobi, Golden Axe, etc. You can maybe turn those into something if you own the platform and market them well but when you don't have the platform to push their importance, they kind of stop being important. They become just relics of a past age.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 01:07:04 AM by Stoney Mason »

hampster

« Reply #4922 on: December 13, 2013, 01:04:49 AM »
Now that I have an ipad I'm more open to the idea of Japan moving to mobile.  But when will we get a Bravely Default, good epic single player jrpg for mobile?

I'm hoping the PC kickstarter RPG scene can spill over to tablets since many of them would probably work well, I enjoy playing games on my tablet and hopefully games like x-com and shadowrun prove there is a market there. That doesn't address the jrpg situation obviously but its a start. I figure some niche devs in japan will eventually just start including mobile in their multiplatform handheld releases

Wasn't there an article the other day that Japan spends more on mobile that the US? God I hope they are ready for premium price points (outside SE's milk machine) and not just f2p stuff
Zzz

bachikarn

« Reply #4923 on: December 13, 2013, 01:05:39 AM »
Nintendo isn't making money of the Wii U right? Especially if you account for the R&D costs?

I'm basing this off nothing, but I just feel that if they were to drop out of making consoles, it'd be better for them to make console games as a third party than not make console games at all. I'm assuming the will be able to keep on trucking with handhelds.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #4924 on: December 13, 2013, 01:05:55 AM »
 :lol at sega first party having anything other than small niche appeal after the 90s

nintendo is getting trash sales right now because no one wants to invest in their shitty system. put new games on systems people want/own and they will sell again. they still have plenty of cultural cache. not saying a new metroid or animal crossing will light up the charts, but they could be modest success. hell, nintendos already got that "unambitious and cheap" low-risk mindset when it comes to development; they just need to follow thru with some titles. im sure theyll do it in the next few years as their current consoles become increasingly worthless.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 01:09:17 AM by Positive Touch »
pcp

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #4925 on: December 13, 2013, 01:07:10 AM »
:kobeyuck at Japanese gamers' tastes.  10x worse than dudebros.  Glad they're not driving the direction of mainstream gaming. 

yeah, me too, i've been looking forward to the market crash for too long to have it ruined by a sudden shift to a financially-sustainable model.

Isn't it relatively easy to keep making money off rehashes of sports, FPS, Ass Creed franchises?

I'd rather play those than what you said is popular in Japan. 

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4926 on: December 13, 2013, 01:10:37 AM »
It costs that much to make a Madden?  Seems like all they do is just update the rosters every year and add some superficial tweaks. 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4927 on: December 13, 2013, 01:10:51 AM »
Sonic, 2K, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Fighter, etc would see a major uptick in sales.

They certainly had a rich history of arcade properties but unfortunately the arcade was dying/dead at that moment. And the console market was moving toward story driven cinematic games (Shemnue aside). How do you evolve Crazy Taxi when the market is completely moving away from the conditions that made something like Crazy Taxi possible? It was a painful problem they weren't able to solve without becoming something completely different now than what they were.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4928 on: December 13, 2013, 01:14:32 AM »
Also, PSX stole many of Sega's fans.  People probably didn't care that much about Sega IPs after not having played them for years. 

OTOH, N64 had some of the best selling games of all time. 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4929 on: December 13, 2013, 01:20:14 AM »
OTOH, N64 had some of the best selling games of all time.

One bit of irony I look towards is that Nintendo had the best console single player and multiplayer shooter of its era with Goldeneye.

And then they pissed it all away over the years and have become the console no hardcore shooter fan would ever purchase.

hampster

« Reply #4930 on: December 13, 2013, 01:20:52 AM »
Most 3rd party publishers seem pretty shitty so its reasonable to think if Nintendo became one they would probably become shitty too. In general, making good video games seems like a terrible way to create year over year shareholder growth. Anyway its a pointless discussion since I'm sure the egos are way too big at nintendo to ever drop console or handheld hardware. They'll cling to it to the bitter end
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 01:23:59 AM by hampster »
Zzz

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4931 on: December 13, 2013, 01:25:51 AM »
Nintendo should just jump ship like they did with the Virtua Boy.  This is not really like a Saturn situation since Wii U is doing even worse.  Sure there will be some disgruntled fans but it would be worth it in the long term to have something that can compete with PS4/Xbone.  Maybe they could keep the tablet compatible just to appease the Wii U owners a little. 

Himu

« Reply #4932 on: December 13, 2013, 01:26:13 AM »
To be fair, VF4 DID see an uptick in sales, no? I never saw as many people caring about VF as I did when VF4 hit ps2.
IYKYK

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4933 on: December 13, 2013, 01:28:45 AM »
Maybe in Japan but over here, I'm pretty sure that PS2 Tekken games were still killing VF. 

Himu

« Reply #4934 on: December 13, 2013, 01:29:28 AM »
No doubt it would be. But Oscar said uptick, as in, better than what they were before.
IYKYK

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4935 on: December 13, 2013, 01:31:34 AM »
Kinda sad but I think VF would have done much better if they had ditched the no-frills fighting simulator approach. 

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4936 on: December 13, 2013, 01:49:37 AM »
Didn't all 3D fighting franchises drop in sales last gen?  If so, maybe VF5's decline wasn't that bad. 

Himu

« Reply #4937 on: December 13, 2013, 01:55:04 AM »
Well, no. VF4 EVO didn't do that great iirc.

Also, VF5 did poorly. SF4 created a new interest in fighting games and unfortunately VF5: FS was released on consoles right when that bubble just about burst.

And I'm surprised VF4 was outsold by 2. But 2 WAS a big deal back in the day - if you had a Saturn at least.
IYKYK

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4938 on: December 13, 2013, 02:08:29 AM »
It's interesting how MK and Injustice were able to have some success the last few years even though MK and American fighters in general became irrelevant for years. 

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #4939 on: December 13, 2013, 02:09:51 AM »
Nintendo is finally dead. Good job Nintendo.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4940 on: December 13, 2013, 02:41:07 AM »
If Mario, zelda and pokemon dont chart... How much will bayonetta and x sale?

Im looking forward to picking up a wii u with a game in 2015 for 99 euro to play the one or two games I want.

Cascade

« Reply #4941 on: December 13, 2013, 03:40:23 AM »
Call of Duty: Ghosts platform split:
XBO - 6.42%
PS4 - 7.39%
360 - 55.45%
PS3 - 30.42%
Wii U - 0.33%

:dead :deadpos :deadpos

I just don't understand. How?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4942 on: December 13, 2013, 03:50:10 AM »

:bow :bow2

Nintendo is a toy company, they will do fine if they close the home console market and focus only on handhelds.

Hell, if they close handheld market as well they can make Pokemon toys.

This would actually be a great time for nintendo to grow, if they released pokemon on phones with some iap.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:52:40 AM by Lagerless »

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4943 on: December 13, 2013, 06:58:20 AM »
Sega games werent big sellers before they went 3rd party.

At least I think I saw numbers and it was all in the 200/300k range (saturn and DC).

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #4944 on: December 13, 2013, 07:22:23 AM »
Nintendo is so fucked.  In the past, if they were in a corner, they'd just pump out Mario games to get them out of there.  It seems like we're hitting a point where Mario isn't enough and since Mario is the only trump card Nintendo has (or had), this is where things get really interesting.  Is Nintendo's solution to push out even more Mario games?  Wouldn't be surprised if we get Galaxy 3, Mario Sunshine HD, Paper Mario, Mario Kart 8, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Basketball, Mario Soccer, and Mario Baseball in 2014 and 2015.
🍆🍆

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #4945 on: December 13, 2013, 08:38:33 AM »
how does pokemon x/y compare to previous game? i always tought that was nintendo savior and i don't care about sales enough to understand if 400.000 copies between the two version is good or bad
<----

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #4946 on: December 13, 2013, 08:41:37 AM »
Fastest selling console, bitches.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4947 on: December 13, 2013, 09:46:13 AM »
Seriously? Good to hear <3

I did my part as far as the Saturn is concerned.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #4948 on: December 13, 2013, 10:27:20 AM »
Sonic, 2K, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Fighter, etc would see a major uptick in sales.

They certainly had a rich history of arcade properties but unfortunately the arcade was dying/dead at that moment. And the console market was moving toward story driven cinematic games (Shemnue aside). How do you evolve Crazy Taxi when the market is completely moving away from the conditions that made something like Crazy Taxi possible? It was a painful problem they weren't able to solve without becoming something completely different now than what they were.

They were also a financial wreck, which Nintendo is not, or at least not yet.

cool breeze

« Reply #4949 on: December 13, 2013, 10:36:42 AM »
looking at the rest of the numbers, Killzone ended up as the best selling exclusive and at around what the last two PS3 games sold.  I hope they don't take it as a sign that people want more Killzone.  Dead Rising 3 is the best on Xbox One, which I was sure would be the best period.   

and I don't know how they'd measure it but I want to know how the next gen upgrade stuff went.  technically anyone who did it on the xbox would have been counted twice.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #4950 on: December 13, 2013, 10:57:01 AM »
©ZH

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #4951 on: December 13, 2013, 12:43:14 PM »

At least I think I saw numbers and it was all in the 200/300k range (saturn and DC).

SEGA had a few first party million-sellers in NA alone on DC.  Most of their stuff sold between 300k and 600k in NA though, but seriously, they were moving like half a million units of stuff like Virtua Tennis and Bass Fishing.

Worldwide they had at least 15 million sellers on DC, with a few of them over 2 million.  They had a similar number worldwide on Saturn.  This revisionist history stuff is hilarious.  They were pretty much the #3 publisher in software sales when they checked out of the hardware business.

Schooled.
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #4952 on: December 13, 2013, 02:10:32 PM »

SEGA had a few first party million-sellers in NA alone on DC.  Most of their stuff sold between 300k and 600k in NA though, but seriously, they were moving like half a million units of stuff like Virtua Tennis and Bass Fishing.

Worldwide they had at least 15 million sellers on DC, with a few of them over 2 million.  They had a similar number worldwide on Saturn.  This revisionist history stuff is hilarious.  They were pretty much the #3 publisher in software sales when they checked out of the hardware business.

Schooled.

Dick sucked.
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #4953 on: December 13, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
Jelly I don't suckle your clit, sis?
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #4954 on: December 13, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »
Jelly I don't suckle your clit, sis?

No. I just miss you. :(
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #4955 on: December 13, 2013, 05:30:47 PM »
Killzone SF will have no legs considering it's fucking terrible.

Also it's crazy that SF sold in the hundreds of thousands considering there's like 2-3,000 players online.  Guessing most people bought it as the graphic showcase FPS, then they played it and it was terrible and it went on the shelf.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4956 on: December 13, 2013, 06:25:46 PM »
Killzone has never been particularly popular.

It's weird why Sony would spend so much effort and money on shoving it down gamers' throats.  Sony would probably be better off putting those resources into a new IP. 

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4957 on: December 13, 2013, 06:27:22 PM »
It's interesting how MK and Injustice were able to have some success the last few years even though MK and American fighters in general became irrelevant for years.

MK has literally never not sold well.  Yes, even when you thought it was selling badly, it was still moving more than SF4 ended up with.

Good catch.

I guess that's why gaming forums and podcasts really can't be trusted when it comes to judging commercial success.  It seemed like I've heard for a decade that MK was basically dead. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4958 on: December 13, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »
Oh god. That sub zero game was so bad ( I beat it :()

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #4959 on: December 13, 2013, 07:30:49 PM »
vin

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #4960 on: December 13, 2013, 07:39:53 PM »
ehy oscar i was hoping you would answer my pokeyman question :beli
<----

Tasty

« Reply #4961 on: December 13, 2013, 08:26:33 PM »
:lol

Willing to bet 35% or more of Pokemans was digital.

how does pokemon x/y compare to previous game? i always tought that was nintendo savior and i don't care about sales enough to understand if 400.000 copies between the two version is good or bad

Previous game? Black 2/White 2? Not sure that's a good comparison. Are we comparing second months here? LTD by the second month? What?

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #4962 on: December 13, 2013, 08:30:46 PM »
just how it did compared to other pokemon launches... for example i tought B/W was like 1 million?

In the US, Black and White sold more than 1.08 million copies on day one

wikipedia says so
<----

Tasty

« Reply #4963 on: December 13, 2013, 08:36:26 PM »
X/Y sold 1.7 million units in the US in October. (Black/White sold 2.4 million copies in their first month in the US.)

Globally, X/Y sold 4 million copies in the first two days.

Global LTD's:

Pokémon Diamond and Pearl:             17.57 million
Pokémon Platinum:                            7.43 million
Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver:    11.90 million
Pokémon Black and White:                 15.42 million
Pokémon Black 2 and White 2:            7.81 million

My butt feeling is that XY are currently at around 6 million WW right now.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:43:56 PM by Tasty Meat »

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #4964 on: December 13, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »
ooohhh i see then i guess it doesn't really matter if they didn't chart on november uh....
<----

Tasty

« Reply #4965 on: December 13, 2013, 08:44:35 PM »
At the very least, it's easily the fastest selling 3DS game worldwide to-date.

Takao

« Reply #4966 on: December 14, 2013, 02:29:41 AM »
At the very least, it's easily the fastest selling 3DS game worldwide to-date.

I thought you stan for Google and Nintendo, why are you trying to apply for a job at Microsoft?

Tasty

« Reply #4967 on: December 14, 2013, 04:22:45 AM »
:what

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #4968 on: December 14, 2013, 05:52:04 AM »
I think he is referring to "fastest selling console" MS PR.
cat

Tasty

« Reply #4969 on: December 14, 2013, 02:12:15 PM »
Oh, I don't read MS PR shyt.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4970 on: December 14, 2013, 02:17:37 PM »
Oscar how much did GOW3 sell?

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4971 on: December 16, 2013, 05:19:24 PM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4972 on: December 16, 2013, 05:53:48 PM »
:holeup

Christmas is going to be interesting.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #4973 on: December 16, 2013, 06:00:01 PM »
Horrible. But to be fair, it surpassed the DC in Nov.

(But not by much lol)
Unzip

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #4974 on: December 16, 2013, 08:02:01 PM »
Is it possible to add the Virtual Boy to that chart? At this point, it's probably more appropriate to compare the WiiU to that as opposed to consoles that actually moved units.
SRY

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #4975 on: December 16, 2013, 08:05:14 PM »
I'm sure if we factor inflation, we'll discover the Virtual Boy actually earned more revenues and caused less losses. :hitler
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #4976 on: December 16, 2013, 08:20:27 PM »
I don't remember vb lasting even a year.
IYKYK

archie4208

« Reply #4977 on: December 18, 2013, 05:40:31 AM »

archnemesis

« Reply #4978 on: December 18, 2013, 06:03:31 AM »
It's an alpha and it's not on sale. I might buy it in 6-12 months.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4979 on: December 18, 2013, 06:51:54 AM »
Apparently 92% of the revenue from the App store is from IAP

you know what this means  :'(