Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 357327 times)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #2340 on: July 27, 2019, 03:34:15 AM »
New Arena client updater is nice.

Not having disk space (that I only found out about due to the wrapper "fix" I had to make since the "OOPS! CAN'T UPDATE!" error gave me jack-shit to go on): https://forums.mtgarena.com/forums/threads/58489 is not good.  :doge

Cleared the space, and it's downloading a 1gig update (so now I know where some of the drive space seems to be needed), but the installer doesn't seem to be doing the "delete and reinstall EVERYTHING" now so that's good. Baby steps...

Nope, it still does that shit.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2341 on: July 27, 2019, 11:08:51 PM »
Oops All Chandra FNM report:

I went 1-2, which is one better than I was expecting. The guy that I beat wasn't a scrub, he's one of the better players at the shop, although he was playing a brew or at least a non-tier deck (Naya Midrange). My other two matches were against another one of the best players at the shop running Esper Control (I was easily outmatched here) and a regular, but more casual player running a Rakdos Sacrifice brew (this one was close but I couldn't get the dub).

Round 1 - Naya Midrange
Game 1 - I wasn't able to assemble much of a board presence and he overran me before I could do much.

Game 2 - Losing early in Game 1 probably worked out in my favor because he brought in his typical sideboard package to deal with Mono Red (Lyra + Shalai) which I was able to easily deal with using Chandra's Triumph (+Fry out of the sideboard). Big Chandra's emblems closed out the game.

Game 3 - He got stuck on 3 lands, I killed his dorks, and I got a Big Chandra in play before he could do anything else. I think his only removal was a couple of Prison Realms. Ez win.

Round 2 - Esper Control
Game 1 - A close game, he basically drew just enough answers to deal with all of my threats but he didn't have any threats of his own that I couldn't deal with. Then he played a Lili that I wasn't able to get rid of, and that ended the game.

Game 2 - I got stuck on two lands in this game for three turns, but again, he was so light on threats that I almost managed to get back into the game. After he top decked a Command the Dreadhorde and stole my Big Chandra that he Through Erasure'd on T2 though, that put me on a fast enough clock that I couldn't win.

Round 3 - Rakdos Sacrifice
Game 1 - This deck actually matched up really well against me. He was running a lot of small creatures and a lot of "Sacrifice a creature or planeswalker" effects, which were good against my top-heavy threats (no pun intended  :-* ). I narrowly won Game 1 at 1hp with my opponent at 16 by -7 WAR Chandra and turning over a bunch of lands, creatures, and a Chandra, Novice Pyromancer. I played Pyromancer, hit my opponent's face for 2, and then got in with my Chandra's Spitfire that had been buffed to 7/3 to hit for exact.

Game 2 - A lot like Game 1, except instead of stabilizing at 1hp, I stabilized at 0hp.

Game 3 - This time I stabilized at 5hp and I was feeling pretty good untapping with Big Chandra and Chandra's Regulator, but he had Eldest Reborn and stole my WAR Chandra. His clock ended up being faster than mine.  :'(

Ultimately, I had fun running it and I actually won a few games and one round, so I'm happy. The shop owner randomly gave out some of the Core 2020 Promo Packs that he had left over and I got one that had Leyline of Sanctity, so that was pretty sweet too.
©@©™

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2342 on: July 28, 2019, 12:42:07 AM »
Kara, rules question:

Someone targets your Enchantment. (https://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=457221) You use the sacrifice ability after they targeted it but the spell is still on the stack.

Is that Kosher? Because I forget the card ability speed off-hand and me and the person that was playing (3 people, musical board-wipes to where it was down to me on like 7 cards from 60 card deck versus their like 30 or so after wiping the third wheel out) and I had them down to lethal range (6, so the sacrifice puts them at 1) through that to win. But I'm not sure if I cheated going "yo, no, fuck that card, I'm going to sacrifice it myself to have that spell fizzle and harm you in the process" was correct or not.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2343 on: July 28, 2019, 12:59:52 AM »
You're good, you can sac in response and fizzle their spell. Activated abilities are assumed to be instant speed unless it specifically says "Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery",
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #2344 on: July 28, 2019, 01:20:21 AM »
You're good, you can sac in response and fizzle their spell. Activated abilities are assumed to be instant speed unless it specifically says "Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery",

There's actually cards that say that? I haven't seen any of those recently. :thinking

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2345 on: July 28, 2019, 01:26:33 AM »

Thanks for answering, Joe. And thanks for thinking I know the rules, TIMU.

E: Ill-gotten Inheritance is a good example, a strength of the card is that it's very difficult to kill without losing the life once its controller can pay the mana cost of its activated ability.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2346 on: July 28, 2019, 11:48:25 AM »
2 Modern Pro Tours this season, 2 runners up for Affinity. :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Tron winning. :beli

One of the hosts on Arena Boys winning it all. :obama
[close]
[close]

Kara

« Reply #2347 on: July 29, 2019, 01:48:16 AM »
 :lol 11 out of 20 are Hogaak decks.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/2019MC4/24-27-modern-match-point-decklists-2019-07-28

LSV making sure no one got a discount from Channel Fireball this weekend. :money :beli

Kara

« Reply #2348 on: July 29, 2019, 02:52:29 AM »
Am I LSV?

:isthis

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #2349 on: July 29, 2019, 03:40:43 AM »
Who's Hogaak?

Raist

« Reply #2350 on: July 29, 2019, 04:35:29 AM »

Kara

« Reply #2351 on: July 29, 2019, 07:41:12 PM »
Got my box finally. Second pack I opened had a Wrenn and Six. :pimp

Earning half the cost of the box on pack #2. Now that's paper. :money

Edit: and here's a Seasoned Pyromancer. 8)

Edit 2: 3 horizon lands, a Prismatic Vista, and a Hexdrinker.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 08:35:32 PM by Kara »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2352 on: July 29, 2019, 08:43:33 PM »
Nice box
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2353 on: July 29, 2019, 09:31:30 PM »
Around $300 from just the rares and mythics. :jawalrus

I took pics of all of those. (Order opened, left to right and top to bottom. Including foils.)

[close]

Spiteful Sliver as your only repeat rare. :beli

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2354 on: July 30, 2019, 01:17:33 AM »
Did you get any Foil Snow-Covered lands? Those are worth some :money
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2355 on: July 30, 2019, 01:53:36 AM »
I received 1 foil Snow-Covered Plains. It looks purdy af. :shaq

e: wtf TEN U.S. DOLLARS FOR AN IN PRINT BASIC LAND

Kara

« Reply #2356 on: July 30, 2019, 03:36:11 AM »
Am I LSV?

:isthis

(Image removed from quote.)

This deck is so dumb, btw. I can keep the greediest hands, especially after I swapped a Lancer Sliver for another Martyr's Soul. I won a game keeping an opening hand with a single Plains, Giver of Runes, an Impostor of the Sixth Pride and a Valiant Changeling.

2-0 right now... 3-0 would be pretty sweet.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #2357 on: July 30, 2019, 03:40:08 AM »
Any of you play EDH? I feel like a weeb within a group of weebs

Kara

« Reply #2358 on: July 30, 2019, 03:51:13 AM »
naff and Joe do iirc.

Gonna make an Ayula, Queen Among Bears deck now that I have her. Time to unretire all those Striped Bears I played in my first green deck. :phil

Paying $30 for Forest Bear because it's a Portal 3 Kingdoms common. :lawd

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2359 on: July 30, 2019, 09:58:50 AM »
I’ve only played a couple of times, I have a Goblins deck.
©@©™

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #2360 on: July 30, 2019, 10:14:54 AM »
I started with shitty Krenko deck too

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #2361 on: July 31, 2019, 12:28:04 AM »
yeah, i pooped on it for ages but have gone deep now. my playgroup rulz which makes it great. works for me being into random midrange jank. i currently play saskia lands / good stuff deck (burgeoning, exploration, ramp, asymmetric land destruction, lands matter shit, dark depths thespian stage etc), scarab god value.dec, azami and animar combo. building a uw hanna deck currently.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #2362 on: July 31, 2019, 12:41:21 AM »
eight and a half tails mono white was my first deck (kinda flip flopped between that and michiko konda). tfw i fucked up my group adding a bunch of tutors to target humility. very good just hanging out with academy rector threatening to crack it out. many scoop wins. we've come a long way since then (meta is becoming more and more degenerate), but there were quite a few matches back then where no-one had enchantment removal on non-creatures, only spells like acidic slime and rec sage so they were fucked while i smashed face with anthems, swords and jitte :lawd

basically looking to revive elements of that deck with hanna, but even heavier on imprisoning the table.
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #2363 on: July 31, 2019, 01:23:36 AM »
2-0 right now... 3-0 would be pretty sweet.

3-0, ez. 8)

Final game was against red / green lands splashing The First Sliver (???) and I broke my opponent's back casting Ephemerate on the target of an Igneous Elemental comes into play trigger. :lawd

Tutoring up Giver of Runes with Ranger-Captain of Eos then sacrificing the Captain on my opponent's upkeep so I could give an Enduring Sliver protection from Green and swing in for the final 2 points of damage. :whoo
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 01:27:39 AM by Kara »

Kara

« Reply #2364 on: August 01, 2019, 06:05:10 PM »
This is cool as hell.

https://draftsim.com/blog/mh1-stream-control/

I wonder how many draft archetypes never get discovered...

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2365 on: August 02, 2019, 11:53:49 AM »
When you splice onto Magmatic Sinkhole you can delve more than 5 to reduce the cost added by the spliced card as well.

Interesting, I didn't know that.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2366 on: August 09, 2019, 03:20:52 PM »
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #2367 on: August 14, 2019, 09:12:23 AM »
Quote from: /tg/
ITT: Horrible/ Useless Rare

[[Drinker of Sorrow]], [[Kezzerdrix]], [[Lava Hounds]]

>>67808986
>>67808842
>>67808965
You're probably too young to remember this, but back in the day cards were allowed to have drawbacks in order to offset comparatively low mana costs.

>>67809278
Yeah back when removal was good and these things would be easily destroyed.

>>67809437
Most of the people who say that didn't play back then either. Removal as a whole wasn't particularly exceptional back then, it was just standout cards like Swords and Lightning Bolt. A 4/4 black creature was very hard to deal with back then as it dodged most cheap burn and virtually all black removal. As a thought exercise, look through Tempest and take note of how many answers there are for Kezzedrix that cost less than 4 mana.

Quote from: /tg/, to the previous poster
>>67809652
>circle of protection: black
>counterspell
>diabolic edict
>time ebb
Also you picked black which was the one weakness of black back then was dealing with other black creatures. Whereas the only good removal that's been printed lately was that Ob Nixilis' Wrath or whatever that gave -5/-5 for 2B.

Quote from: /tg/, to the previous poster
>>67810475

Diabolic edict lets the opponent chose the creature yo sacrifice. so its a bargain and you usually had to plan for it along with a nekrataal or by using wave of terror or other removal with less conditions that would damage you too (wrath with splash, trying to get your opponent to discard things with duress or hymn to tourach, etc).

Circle of protection of a color was usually a dead card in hand, unless you were playing against that particular color or you were using Story Circles, wich was 3 cmc and needed untapped lands for each source anyways.

White had the best targeted removals, but swords, wrath of god, topple or even exile had drawbacks.

Blue had to try to bounce things back to the hand or hard counter things when "in the stack", but usually any deck with creatures like black sucide or Winnie had something like 18+ creatures, so you would only hope to delay or counter the strongest of them and try to assemble your combo/ put your finisher in the game and porotect it before being overrun by little elves of other horrible things.

Even red with things like incinerate, disintegrate, bolts, fireballs, fireblast and the like was in trouble when something like blastoderm hit the table, a 5/5 with a drawback that you could not target,

as >>67809652 has said, strong creatures where hard to kill back then if you didnt draw a Wrath or used two card (two bolts o whatever). your opponent with more life). And they mostly had drawbacks or where multicolor (terminate, pernicius deed...)

Quote from: /tg/, to the dude that was going "Removal was good in the early days"
>>67809437
Yes, removal was even better and these were good creatures, because having p/t equal to CMC beyond 2 meant you had a drawback.
Up until Invasion, your options for 3/3 (or better) for 3 were the vanilla Trained Armadon or the tricolor Tetsuo Umezawa, or something with a drawback. Cathodian lost its drawback when mana burn stopped existing
The first drawbackless 4/4 for 4 was in Onslaught (Ravenous Baloth), though Su-Chi's in the same boat as Cathodian.
Five mana is funny. You get the five-color Queen at Tempest (and then three more five colors in Cromat, Atogatog and Sliver Overlord in Apocalypse, Odyssey and Scourge), a vanilla 5/5 in not-legal tempest and then reprinted in 8th (making it a Real Magic Card at the time) in Silverback Ape, and then their first time thinking that yes, a 5/5 for 5 is fine without drawbacks is in Saviours of Kamigawa with Arashi, the Sky Asunder.
And really, with it, the fivecolors, and Tetsuo, Legendary is a drawback, just one of the least relevant ones, so that means true no-drawbacks 5/5 or better for 5 doesn't come until fuckan LORWYN with Chameleon Colossus
Six mana gets us either the Invasion Dragons or Ravnica's Gleancrawler, depending on how much one cares about Legendaryness. Amusingly, no vanilla til Innistrad.

I remember some of this, starting in Ice Age and playing til Planeshift. And I do have that "powerful creatures were hard to remove" nostalgia, but at the same time I dunno if that's really good for the health of the game.

I do miss when 4/4 and 7/7 were big fucking deals and you had to start sweating a big thunk on dealing with their "nuke" then. Now a days it feels like 4/4's are given out like candy.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2368 on: August 14, 2019, 09:51:15 AM »
Nevinyrral's Disk was the only removal you needed. :brain
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #2369 on: August 19, 2019, 12:46:49 AM »
Speaking of "health of the game," found this through reddit talks:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/original-magic-rulebook-2004-12-25

Original Rulebook transcribed on Wizard's site through an old article.

Interesting to see the mess that was the rules of the day.

Quote from: Rulebook
You begin the game by shuffling your deck. Then, cut your opponent's deck, and turn over the top card as ante (p.7). Draw seven cards from your own deck for your hand, and determine who goes first (p.7).

:yikes

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #2370 on: August 26, 2019, 10:51:46 AM »
OFC 'Gaak got banned but were we really expecting StoneForge Mystic getting UNBANNED?! I thought that was never gonna happen.

Oh, Faithless Looting also banned  :-X

Looks like Tron is now king of Modern?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2371 on: August 26, 2019, 10:56:00 AM »
Faithless Looting  :notlikethis

And Rampaging Ferocidon got unbanned (for a month). :lol
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #2372 on: August 26, 2019, 11:20:57 AM »
but were we really expecting StoneForge Mystic getting UNBANNED?! I thought that was never gonna happen.

Sorta... I mean it's not that strong, at least now a days.

That said: Now I can finally hunt down the "Wielding Steel" deck and a few more singles of StoneForge to modify it and use that. :rejoice

1 Captain of the Watch
4 Elite Vanguard
1 Gideon's Avenger
2 Gideon's Lawkeeper
4 Glory Seeker
2 Kitesail Apprentice
2 Kor Duelist
3 Kor Hookmaster
3 Kor Outfitter
2 Serra Angel
1 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Brave the Elements
1 Infiltration Lens
2 Kitesail
1 Pennon Blade
1 Strider Harness
2 Trusty Machete
3 Arrest
24 Plains

naff

« Reply #2373 on: August 26, 2019, 10:24:14 PM »
i need to find the ultimate bant deck for sfm and ice-fang coatl.

threw this together to try out. a smattering of cards with the sb just a pile of shit i might be interested in https://deckbox.org/sets/2450263
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #2374 on: August 26, 2019, 10:27:04 PM »
OFC 'Gaak got banned but were we really expecting StoneForge Mystic getting UNBANNED?! I thought that was never gonna happen.

it's been on the cards for a long time. i was always going on about it being inevitable. you guys didn't believe me tho  ::)
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2375 on: August 27, 2019, 02:37:58 PM »
©@©™

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #2376 on: August 28, 2019, 12:27:04 PM »
So it's finally time to sell my Stoneforge Mystic GP promo

Raist

« Reply #2377 on: August 29, 2019, 05:48:11 PM »
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-beta-august-29-2019

It's a difficult problem to tackle, but to do so, we're changing how Wildcards work for Historic cards.
Starting after an update in November, crafting a Historic card will require you to redeem two Wildcards of the appropriate rarity instead of one. If a Historic card also appears in a current Standard set, players will be able to redeem one Wildcard for one copy of the Standard version, however, the Historic version will still require two.
For example, you can play Luminous Bonds in Historic whether it's the Rivals of Ixalan version or the Guilds of Ravnica version, but starting in November the Rivals of Ixalan version will cost two common Wildcards, while the Guilds of Ravnica version will cost one common Wildcard. Both versions will be playable in both Historic and Standard.

:lol :lol :lol

thisismyusername

« Reply #2378 on: August 29, 2019, 05:51:22 PM »
"We don't want new players to waste wildcards!"
"So we're going to make older players do that instead!"

:neogaf Wizards :neogaf

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2379 on: August 29, 2019, 08:57:10 PM »
Man, you can't even let libertarians run an imaginary economy or this dumb shit happens, WOTC PLZ
yar

thisismyusername

« Reply #2380 on: August 31, 2019, 01:42:57 AM »
Gideon pre-constructed still does work against other Pre-constructs. Command the Dreadhoarde is so busted in 2HG when you've got like 40 Life to start with, take out their Planeswalker (only one in each deck), then Dreadhoarde them back to fist the other team into rectal prolapse with a shit ton of counters.

thisismyusername

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2382 on: September 01, 2019, 11:03:22 PM »
3 Burn decks in the Top 8 at the Dallas Open this weekend. I considered going and would have played Burn if I did (not that I'm saying I would have Top 8'ed, but it was clearly a good meta for it).

The highest ranked Stoneforge Mystic deck was a 9h placed Smallpox deck, but I really like this Devoted Druid deck that came in 11th.

©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2383 on: September 04, 2019, 03:16:18 PM »
Throne of Eldraine cards are starting to get spoiled, surely there's nothing that would make mono-red even better-

:patel
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2384 on: September 04, 2019, 03:30:48 PM »
Lightning Strike is rotating out though (maybe).
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #2385 on: September 04, 2019, 04:17:29 PM »
Brawl/lite Commander (translators note: Commander means EDH) is in Arena... with preconstructed... not your own.

#RIPTeferiDecks

Raist

« Reply #2386 on: September 04, 2019, 04:51:23 PM »
Next year's lineup: Theros, Zendikar, "new world", Core 21.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2387 on: September 10, 2019, 03:01:30 PM »
Yo, these two drops are out of control.

©@©™

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #2388 on: September 10, 2019, 04:12:02 PM »
Charming Prince is a rare despite nearly being worse than Omenspeaker a common lol

naff

« Reply #2389 on: September 10, 2019, 06:39:56 PM »
charming prince is significantly better than omenspeaker in the sort of decks that want it. flicker, life gain, and pseudo card advantage stapled to a bear for 1w is so good in white lol.
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2390 on: September 10, 2019, 10:58:09 PM »
The flicker ability is probably going to be the most busted ability, but all three are relevant. I could see it getting play in Humans.

Plus it’s called Charming Prince, and it’s a Charm on a body. How can you hate that?
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #2391 on: September 12, 2019, 01:54:04 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2392 on: September 12, 2019, 01:58:44 PM »
I thought about that. I didn’t see there was an official response. :lol
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2393 on: September 12, 2019, 02:09:53 PM »
#neverforget
yar

thisismyusername

« Reply #2394 on: September 12, 2019, 04:22:55 PM »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2395 on: September 13, 2019, 01:13:45 PM »
Muy caliente!

yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2396 on: September 13, 2019, 01:47:12 PM »
*laughs in red*
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #2397 on: September 13, 2019, 02:40:59 PM »
Mill is going to be a thing huh.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2398 on: September 13, 2019, 03:37:45 PM »

What, are you a fucking cop? Time to get lit, fam.  :pimp :weedemoji
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #2399 on: September 13, 2019, 04:27:05 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Speaking of which:

"2:1 Historic."
WTF Wizards.
"Ok, ok, we 'hear you', we'll 1:1 it!"

You've done this song and dance before, Wizards. At least 5 times now, are you sure this isn't planned on your part?