Author Topic: International Politics Thread - Disease and Disaster  (Read 1312792 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
Re: How Do I Shot Drone? : International Politics Thread
« Reply #721 on: July 30, 2014, 01:09:36 PM »
and now some lighter international politics

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/30/ukip-resigned-occult-jake-baynes-graham-livings

Ukip duo resign claiming 'occultists' have infiltrated the party

A Ukip parliamentary candidate and his branch chairman have resigned after claiming the local party is being infiltrated by what they see as "occultists".

Jake Baynes, who was to run in the Somerset cathedral city of Wells at next year's general election, said he felt he was being driven out by local members, including a couple based in nearby Glastonbury who practise alternative healing inspired and guided by angels.

Baynes, a teacher who stood at the last general election for Ukip, said: "I do think if someone is saying you are in touch with the angelic realms I have to call into question their judgment.

"Everyone's got their different beliefs. It's not for me to belittle anyone's beliefs. People have different views. But if Ukip is trying to shake off this fruitcake image thing, we're not doing a good job of it."

Graham Livings, who resigned as Ukip's Wells constituency branch chairman, said: "We've been infiltrated by the Glastonbury occult. I've heard a lot of people say locally they won't be voting for Ukip because of this. It needs to be addressed. Jake was an excellent candidate. I'm standing down in solidarity."

The couple Baynes and Livings were concerned about are Colleen and Glen Tucker, who are both masters in angelic reiki – described on their national association's website as a "profound system of healing and consciousness expansion".

Ms Tucker, who is county treasurer for Ukip, describes herself as an "angelic reiki master, soul midwife and shaman" and says she works with the Archangel Michael. She is based at the Angelic Guidance and Healing Centre in Glastonbury.

Mr Tucker, a prominent Ukip member, runs master level angelic reiki workshops.

Both said they were pleased Baynes and Livings had resigned because they felt both had lost the confidence of the local association. But they dismissed as "ludicrous" the claims that they were involved in the occult.

After the Guardian broke the news of the pair's resignation and the reasons they had given to Ms Tucker , she said she went away to look up the meaning of "occult". "It means that which is hidden," she said. "Nothing I do is hidden, nothing Glen does is hidden. It's all in the public domain. I have a website, Glen is very active on Facebook. There's nothing occult in what we do.

"I do call in archangels at times and in some of the meditations I do bring in archangels. Angels appear in all the major religions of the world."

Correspondence between Baynes and the Ukip national leadership shows the concern about so-called occultism is one of a series of problems that have arisen within the party.

There has also been tension over an insulting letter Baynes wrote to a local paper about Liberal Democrat Sir Graham Watson when he lost his seat at the European parliament earlier this year.

Mr Tucker said Baynes and Livings were confused. He said: "They obviously don't understand what Colleen and I do. They have some weird idea of what the occult involves. I think it's a way of ignoring the reality. They could have just resigned and accepted they don't have the support of the committee and the membership. They could have done it with grace."

Ukip will now have to find a new candidate. Baynes won 1,711 votes in 2010 – and may well have helped the Liberal Democrat Tessa Munt win the Somerset seat, which she took with a majority of just 800 over Conservative David Heathcoat-Amory.
Tonya

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #722 on: July 30, 2014, 01:30:57 PM »
Mika  :heart
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #723 on: July 30, 2014, 02:17:02 PM »
Most anti-Israel administration in the history of the US.
©@©™

« Reply #724 on: July 30, 2014, 02:56:42 PM »
UNRWA spokesman on attacks

I'm surprised he's kept it together this long. They now have 200,000+ civilians seeking refuge across 85 shelters with little food, water, and (probably) no power. They can't even guarantee their safety because of the 6 previous incidents, and if another airstrike were to hit, what the fuck could they do with the resources they have left? He and everyone else are living a nightmare, but they still have the unimaginable resolve to march on. God bless them.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #726 on: July 30, 2014, 04:08:36 PM »
Ugh, fuck that

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #729 on: July 30, 2014, 04:53:43 PM »
Next time I say we go to Bolivia, we go to Bolivia.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #732 on: July 30, 2014, 05:49:27 PM »
Is Palestine lost? Even as the rest of the world seems to accept it more readily, Israel flattens 40% of the Gaza strip. The Arab states cannot and will not help in the foreseeable future—they have too many of their own problems now.

Israel is essentially a "rogue state" invading whoever they want (meaningless considering that so is Russia and the US). If this leads to a third intifada the future of the West Bank also looks grim.

I don't believe most Arab governments want to see a solution that includes a viable Palestinian state, so their unwillingness to intercede is... unsurprising.

One-state does seem inexorable atm, though why (some) Israelis think this is a good idea (I mean this within the framework of their practical and ideological goals) still baffles me.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #733 on: July 30, 2014, 05:53:50 PM »
The other Arab nations never really cared or care about Palestine.  Their leaders just always uses it to as an issue to gain support from either pan arab nationalists or religious zealots. So ya I agree they loss an issue if their is ever a real peace.

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #734 on: July 30, 2014, 06:43:19 PM »
:nsfw

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
bent

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #735 on: July 30, 2014, 07:28:16 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Bush was right!  :ohhh
Best part is that nobody was ever kidnapped from France, they just called every day for a couple weeks and made a threat.

benjipwns

« Reply #736 on: July 30, 2014, 07:31:46 PM »
A lot of the south american countries seem to be taking similar stances.
Guess their leaders are just going to have to resign by suicide.

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #737 on: July 30, 2014, 08:17:20 PM »
His head is also shiny as fuck
bent

« Reply #738 on: July 30, 2014, 08:25:36 PM »
These speeches could have taken place at any point in history after Hamas' formation, and for the most part, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Such insight, wow.

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #739 on: July 30, 2014, 08:31:16 PM »
Israel said that its military was responding to mortar rounds launched from near the school.

oh right, so now it doesn't actually have to be launched from that location it can just be nearby? I see...

Watched the Reid video - jesus... swallow and regurgitate that propaganda!

The lengths that people are going to to make this sound like Israel are the ones under a siege is crazy.
Also - i like that the fact that everyone can report on what is happening now means it's impossible for anyone to get away with anything - and the attempts to spin what is going on starts looking more and more desperate (e.g. "no that air strike wasn't by Israel!" CBC reporter "witnessed attack, it was an Israeli drone" waa waaaaaaaaah)

The problem is that regardless of anything the harsh truths of what happens is no longer easily filtered - 5 years ago+ they'd have more easily brushed this aside. They still are - and as long as the US fails to apply the international laws that apply to every other nation to Israel then they will continue to do what the hell they want -forever-.

EDIT : Booker T - wow - I guess all the wrestling warped his brain ( ;) ) Hamas is denying their people a higher standard of living ?!? Lol - jesus. "Hamas is not democratically elected" ... 80% of the vote? Looks democratically elected to me.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:46:57 PM by DCharlieJP »
O=X

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #740 on: July 30, 2014, 08:56:22 PM »
When liberals (I use this in its global and not American sense) say a person or party wasn't democratically elected, what they really mean is that a liberal party wasn't elected.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #741 on: July 30, 2014, 09:13:36 PM »
Hamas is denying their people a higher standard of living ?!? Lol - jesus.
Hamas exists, hence the blockade and their resulting destitution and reliance on smugglers. A twisted logic, but that's just politics I guess. Much better to cultivate the bogeyman. Very civilized in a way, huh?

benjipwns

« Reply #742 on: July 30, 2014, 09:16:37 PM »
When liberals (I use this in its global and not American sense) say a person or party wasn't democratically elected, what they really mean is that a liberal party wasn't elected.
Everyone knows The People haven't spoken until they say what you want.

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #743 on: July 30, 2014, 09:40:43 PM »
Hamas exists, hence the blockade and their resulting destitution and reliance on smugglers. A twisted logic, but that's just politics I guess. Much better to cultivate the bogeyman. Very civilized in a way, huh?

Hamas could bring about peace by just letting Israel boot them out and take all their natural resources and having their own people starve to death.

It's pretty clear Hamas aren't interested in peace.

O=X

benjipwns

« Reply #745 on: July 31, 2014, 02:56:48 AM »
World War III going to happen because of Obama:
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/08/yes-it-could-happen-again/373465/

In this context, nothing is more dangerous than American weakness. It is understandable that the United States is looking inward after more than a decade of post-9/11 war. But it is also worrying, because the credibility of American power remains the anchor of global security. The nation’s mood is not merely a reflection of economic hardship or the costs of war; it is also determined by the president’s decisions and rhetoric. There was no American majority for involvement in World War I or World War II—until the president set out to forge one (helped decisively in Franklin D. Roosevelt’s case by Pearl Harbor). As Jonathan Eyal of Britain’s Royal United Services Institute says, “If a president stands up and says something, he can shift the debate.”

President Obama has made clear he does not believe in military force. His words spell that out; so does his body language.
If these treaty obligations do not constitute a red line triggering a U.S. military response—the only way to prove the seriousness of “these norms”—all bets are off in a world already filled with uncertainties. A century ago, in the absence of clear lines or rules, it was just this kind of feel-good hope and baseless trust in the judgment of rival powers that precipitated catastrophe. But that, it may be said, was then. The world has supposedly been transformed.

But has it? Consider this article in my father’s 1938 high-school yearbook:
The machine has brought men face to face as never before in history. Paris and Berlin are closer today than neighboring villages were in the Middle Ages. In one sense distance has been annihilated. We speed on the wings of the wind and carry in our hands weapons more dreadful than the lightning … The challenge of the machine is the greatest opportunity mankind has yet enjoyed. Out of the rush and swirl of the confusions of our times may yet arise a majestic order of world peace and prosperity.
Goodbye, and tell my wife "Hello."

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #746 on: July 31, 2014, 06:19:11 AM »
Israel is "determined" to destroy all militant tunnels from Gaza "with or without a ceasefire", Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says.

So - there we go - no matter what, Israel have their excuse to be on the ground in Gaza for the foreseeable future.
O=X

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #747 on: July 31, 2014, 07:42:31 AM »
World War III going to happen because of Obama:
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/08/yes-it-could-happen-again/373465/

In this context, nothing is more dangerous than American weakness. It is understandable that the United States is looking inward after more than a decade of post-9/11 war. But it is also worrying, because the credibility of American power remains the anchor of global security. The nation’s mood is not merely a reflection of economic hardship or the costs of war; it is also determined by the president’s decisions and rhetoric. There was no American majority for involvement in World War I or World War II—until the president set out to forge one (helped decisively in Franklin D. Roosevelt’s case by Pearl Harbor). As Jonathan Eyal of Britain’s Royal United Services Institute says, “If a president stands up and says something, he can shift the debate.”

President Obama has made clear he does not believe in military force. His words spell that out; so does his body language.
If these treaty obligations do not constitute a red line triggering a U.S. military response—the only way to prove the seriousness of “these norms”—all bets are off in a world already filled with uncertainties. A century ago, in the absence of clear lines or rules, it was just this kind of feel-good hope and baseless trust in the judgment of rival powers that precipitated catastrophe. But that, it may be said, was then. The world has supposedly been transformed.

But has it? Consider this article in my father’s 1938 high-school yearbook:
The machine has brought men face to face as never before in history. Paris and Berlin are closer today than neighboring villages were in the Middle Ages. In one sense distance has been annihilated. We speed on the wings of the wind and carry in our hands weapons more dreadful than the lightning … The challenge of the machine is the greatest opportunity mankind has yet enjoyed. Out of the rush and swirl of the confusions of our times may yet arise a majestic order of world peace and prosperity.
Goodbye, and tell my wife "Hello."

But, consider this article from my 1998 high school yearbook:

Life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

Class Hotties:
Ashley Clark and James Howard

Class Clowns:
Jeffery Todd and Brandy Meade

Kinda makes you think, doesn't it?
©@©™

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #748 on: July 31, 2014, 09:42:49 AM »
If you've seen White House Down, you would know why there are so many problems with the world.
©ZH

Himu

« Reply #749 on: July 31, 2014, 12:37:13 PM »

:fbm
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #750 on: July 31, 2014, 02:22:53 PM »
But I thought only evil mooslims taught their children to hate the other side...

And that Israel was living in constant fear of impending death...
dog

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #751 on: July 31, 2014, 03:00:27 PM »
I have a lot of people saying "Well why don't they just print more money like liberals say? LOL" and if I wasn't at work I'd ask them how the fuck they passed economics without understanding the difference in the situations.

Kara

« Reply #752 on: July 31, 2014, 03:00:38 PM »
:dead

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/women-should-not-laugh-in-public-turkish-deputy-pm-says-.aspx?pageID=238&nid=69732&NewsCatID=338

The USA Today app story about this was awful. The headline was something like "Turkish Official Says Women Shouldn't LOL."

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #753 on: July 31, 2014, 03:39:49 PM »
http://rt.com/business/argentina-court-bonds-default-410/

Not doing too well, eh?

Man, I remember reading about the default in ye olde blogosphere way back when.  Neoliberals saying Argentina had to slash its budget in order to honor its foreign debts and reassure investors and when they defaulted instead a lot of "just see how this will ruin your country!" but they bounced back really strongly from what had been ~15% unemployment and shrinking GDP.  Haven't really followed it since then but I'd be surprised if they felt a US court ruling on it was at all binding.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #754 on: July 31, 2014, 04:33:01 PM »
Haven't really followed it since then but I'd be surprised if they felt a US court ruling on it was at all binding.

Argentinean President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner criticized the judgment and said her government would not pay a single dollar. Economy Minister Hernan Lorenzino also opposed the decision and called it "judicial colonialism".

The default really helped Argentinian prices—before it was the most expensive country in Latin America. Now its 8 pesos to the dollar (half its valuation from just a couple years ago)—another reason they aren't going to be excited to pay back USDs. The good news in all this is that tourism in Argentina could be poised for a huge boom. The bad news is that Argentines still aren't going to be able to afford anything.
Aren't they basically going to see how the market reacts to their selective default here?  I'm genuinely curious about what you know/think since a lot of interpretation seems to be reading through the lines on how they're going to move forward.

If foreign investment really dries up their backup plan seems to be to devalue the currency further in order to not exhaust their foreign reserves and in that case their already terrible inflation will turn disastrous. 

benjipwns

« Reply #755 on: July 31, 2014, 05:32:44 PM »
Just anecdotal, but the few people (three) I know in Argentina thought in 2001ish the world was really going to end anyday and it'd be some kind of nuclear wasteland hellscape. Now they don't seem to be too concerned about things becoming significantly worse overnight, just the gradual pessimism of acceptance.

benjipwns

« Reply #756 on: July 31, 2014, 06:01:22 PM »
okay

:fbm

Kara

« Reply #757 on: July 31, 2014, 06:42:04 PM »
Wrath is named for an Umayyad caliph. :hitler

That's not his real namesake.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #758 on: July 31, 2014, 06:42:13 PM »
 :ohhh
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #759 on: July 31, 2014, 06:53:53 PM »
What if jin is part of his cell and the bore is acting as their back channel communication?  The NSA is probably monitoring us right now*

*regardless of our saudi demographics. 

Kara

« Reply #760 on: July 31, 2014, 07:00:27 PM »
Biz, doesn't the the IS's caliph feign to be a blood descendent of the Prophet?

I'm trying to wrap my head around an ostensibly Sunni caliphate with Shi'a political legitimacy* whose beliefs are not entirely dissimilar than that of the Khawarij. It's like no one read a history book. Or maybe they did and that's why we've got all bases covered with this pastiche, even the irrelevant ones.

*The Abbasids did this too but, eh.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #761 on: July 31, 2014, 07:06:40 PM »
:lol

I knew ISIS would do that cause for arab crazies, especially ones who call themselves the new caliphate,

Pretty sure it is also skip code.  He says that he is ISIS and doing the cause for arabs, which is that ones calls is that of the new caliphates. 

Kara

« Reply #762 on: July 31, 2014, 07:13:37 PM »
At least Jordan goes the whole 9 yards and declares that its entire royal family is of the Banu Hashim. :lol

I hate to say anything nice about Saudi's government, but at least the House of Saud just says it's a descendant of ibn Saud (AFAIK).

Himu

« Reply #763 on: July 31, 2014, 07:18:23 PM »
How much support is there for a new caliphate in the Middle East?
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #764 on: July 31, 2014, 07:18:25 PM »
wait you need to be of some blood line in sunni too?  I thought their leaders where just elected (or just good military leaders)

Kara

« Reply #766 on: July 31, 2014, 08:02:04 PM »
They are Hashimites—that's partly why Abdullah, Faisal, and Ali were made kings of post-Ottoman Arab states.

All Alid dynasties are (supposedly) Banu Hashim. The current Aga Khan could claim to be Hashemite; it's rather a meaningless term this far out from the dissolution of the Quraysh.

Pardon the :hans1, but I'm also skeptical of a lineage authenticated in the 19th century that traces back to the 6th done under the purview of an Ottoman state with a vested interest in keeping its eroding empire together.

« Reply #767 on: July 31, 2014, 08:10:12 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/31/sean-hannity-russell-brand-response-geraldo_n_5637081.html

invites guests to show to dogpile russell brand, gets owned by geraldo rivera

hannity is literally the dumbest

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #768 on: July 31, 2014, 09:16:01 PM »
Got to step up your recruitment game Wraith. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #769 on: August 01, 2014, 12:45:49 AM »
Josh Earnest, a White House spokesman, said on Thursday that the shelling of the school in Jabaliya was "totally indefensible" and called on Israeli forces to "live up to their own standards" of protecting civilians.

Earnest said: "While we underscore the importance of a full and prompt investigation of this tragic incident, as well as a shelling of other UN facilities and schools that have been hit, it does not appear there's a lot of doubt about whose artillery was involved in this incident."

"The shelling of a UN facility that is housing innocent civilians who are fleeing violence is totally unacceptable and totally indefensible.

"We believe the Israeli government and the Israeli military need to do more to live up to the own standards that they have set for protecting innocent civilians," Earnest said.
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #770 on: August 01, 2014, 01:59:03 AM »
Apparently the current Argentina crisis doesn't have to do with new debts at all, but rather trying to come to agreements with the rest of the bondholders from the original default.  A bunch of the bondholders agreed to take ~30 cents on the dollar but there was still some unresolved debt out there, and a US-based hedge fund which had bought up a lot of those outstanding bonds was behind the lawsuit.

So this isn't even the people/institutions who originally lost their investments trying to get something back.  Secondary debt collectors are the devil.

But the secondary debt market allows for more specialization and thus efficiency, as well as providing some small return to lenders on delinquent loans that would have yielded nothing, increasing their expected returns and thus lowering interest rates for borrowers.  Everyone wins!

Secondary debt collectors are the devil.
[close]
[close]

« Reply #771 on: August 01, 2014, 03:42:42 AM »
Yeah, I just saw the thread on gaf.

Literally turning their prisons into Auschwitz. At least ISIS had the decency to kill their prisoners instantly.  :-\

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

Brehvolution

« Reply #773 on: August 01, 2014, 10:05:06 AM »
:lol

I knew ISIS would do that cause for arab crazies, especially ones who call themselves the new caliphate, winning back Jerusalem is like the holy grail. It's like winning the World Cup to them. So it's unsurprising that it would be high on their list for things to accomplish.

Yeah but, if they win back Jerusalem, how can Jesus come back?  :hitler
©ZH

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #774 on: August 01, 2014, 10:41:48 AM »
Listening to democracy now this morning  :fbm

Kara

« Reply #775 on: August 01, 2014, 11:42:46 AM »
Apparently the current Argentina crisis doesn't have to do with new debts at all, but rather trying to come to agreements with the rest of the bondholders from the original default.  A bunch of the bondholders agreed to take ~30 cents on the dollar but there was still some unresolved debt out there, and a US-based hedge fund which had bought up a lot of those outstanding bonds was behind the lawsuit.

So this isn't even the people/institutions who originally lost their investments trying to get something back.  Secondary debt collectors are the devil.

But the secondary debt market allows for more specialization and thus efficiency, as well as providing some small return to lenders on delinquent loans that would have yielded nothing, increasing their expected returns and thus lowering interest rates for borrowers.  Everyone wins!

Secondary debt collectors are the devil.
[close]
[close]

If shaking down Congo-Brazzaville for 10 times what you paid for its debt and giving it to VH1's Save the Music isn't efficient resource allocation, what is?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #776 on: August 01, 2014, 12:32:15 PM »
Even Joe Scarborough has had enough of Israel's actions in Gaza:

Joe Scarborough took aim at Israel's bombardment of Gaza on Thursday, saying that, despite his history of support for the country, he could not condone the killing of so many Palestinian civilians.

“This continued killing of women and children in a way that appears to be indiscriminate is asinine," he said, adding, "The United States of America, we cannot be associated with this if this continues. This is so bad, not only for the Israeli people, but for us."
dog

T-Short

• hooker strangler
地平線

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #778 on: August 01, 2014, 04:14:08 PM »
Fuck, man

Himu

« Reply #779 on: August 01, 2014, 07:04:55 PM »
How much support is there for a new caliphate in the Middle East?

Virtually none outside of Iraq? At least that's what my dad tells me.

thanks for the answer, boo.
IYKYK