Author Topic: Wow, the EA Online store is worse than fucking Hitler  (Read 1223 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Wow, the EA Online store is worse than fucking Hitler
« on: October 20, 2007, 03:49:50 AM »
Okay, I went to the EA Store because, surprise!  EA won't make hot direct download babies with direct2drive or Steam.  They instead have their own, shittier download service.  This way they get all the profits.  Unfortunately, their store is so terrible that most people won't touch it with Synbios's flippers, so in the end, they make basically nothing off it.  Fuck EA, yadda yadda.

Unfortunately, EA does put out a good portion of the hotter computer games, so them being in the Shit Age of direct downloads is kind of a black mark on the whole direct download market.  Tonight I went to their store to see if I couldn't scare up a copy of The Sims 2.

Well, last time I used the store was earlier this year, to purchase a copy of Battlefield 2142.  I know, I know, and you know, you know my shitty spending habits.  It's not a bad game, though, I swear!  Back when I did this, the store was called EA Link.  They had their own version of a Steamy client, except it was shitty and all.  You had to keep the client running while you played the game, which was a bitch because it used a lot more memory than Steam did.

Anyway, I went to the store tonight, and I saw that it's not EA Link anymore, it's the EA Store.  Oh, I thought, maybe they made this workable.  Guess again.  Instead, they made things so terrible that even I was revolted enough to put my wallet away. 

I didn't get to the part where I had to install their client to download the game.  I didn't even get to the payment screen.  Yous ee, upon finding the product I wanted and looking at my cart, I noticed a warning indicating that when you purchase fromt he EA Store, you can only DL the game you BOUGHT for 6 months.  If you pay a 6 dollar service fee, you can DL it for 2 years.  Once your date passes, you have to repurchase the game with cash money.  Again.

What.  The.  Fuck?

The best part of direct download services is that you never have to worry about losing a CD or the like.  You own the game, and you have ready access to it anywhere on earth.  For this reason, I don't mind paying a slight premium on Steam from time to time.  D2D has the same policy as Steam:  You buy the game, it's yours forever.  EA's shitty store basically negates the main consumer benefits of direct downloads.  Like, there's NO REASON for me to purchase from the EA Store.  if I do, I'll probably have to rebuy again at next reformat.

The EA Store has other imperfections.  Large imperfections.  But it's the above that makes the store fundamentally useless and awful.  The next major problem would be the shittiness of their offered library.  The big names are all their for download:  The Sims, Sim City, Battlefield and the gang, but there's not much worthwhile content available.  EA has a looooong ass legacy on PCs, and the best they can do are a handful of games basically all from the past 5 years?  If EA had a decent facsimile of their full library available at the Store, I'd be willing to overlook a lot of flaws. As it stands, they have the most laughable online store out there.  Get with the program and get your shit on Steam, EA.
serge

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Re: Wow, the EA Online store is worse than fucking Hitler
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 03:52:26 AM »
Go download the GT5 demo for free, asshole.

EA is fucking stupid.  I bet they can earn at least $10 million with a Ultima megapack like the Valve/ID megapacks on Steam.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 03:55:45 AM by Smooth Groove »

TVC15

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 03:57:20 AM »
I didn't get that far in the purchase process, but they have their own Steam-like client, too.  Since the games run through this client, they could address compat shit there in some cases.

EA is really sitting on a gold mine with their back catalog.
serge

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 04:00:21 AM »
Lots of people would love to have Wing Commander and Ultima work on Win XP/Vista without some major tweaking.  Ultima 7 still runs like ass on some pretty powerful computers because Lord British was such a genius at squeezing every ounce of performance from the PCs back then. 

TVC15

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 05:10:27 AM »
Ultima 7 and 8 both had perf issues because we were hitting a RAM wall back then.  Outside of that, and having some pretty high requirements for the time, Ultima 7 didn't perform badly.  Keep in mind it was doing a lot, comparable to RPGs today, even.  I wouldn't say he was a genius at getting performance, I'd say there was a limited number of ways to accomplish something like Ultima 7 at the time, and they found one that worked.  I don't think it's efficient by any means, but it's the first of its type.

Ultima 8 was poorly coded and, well, poorly everything else, too.

Ultima 9 had the poor everything thing going on.  I never got that running well.  I only ever played a little bit, and it at least seemed better than 8, though I heard it feels so chronically unfinished.
serge

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 05:34:48 AM »
Lots of people would love to have Wing Commander and Ultima work on Win XP/Vista without some major tweaking.  Ultima 7 still runs like ass on some pretty powerful computers because Lord British was such a genius at squeezing every ounce of performance from the PCs back then. 

Gametap has WC1/WC2 and Ultima 4-6 in their catalogue of games.

EA really needs to understand that their shitty service is indeed really shitty, and just start lobbing their stuff on Steam like Activision and, well, everyone else does.
hex

Synbios459

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 05:38:37 AM »
EAs store does suck, what's really bad is that I created an account back when it was EA Link and changed email address' since I switched ISPs and I went to my account and tried to enter in my new email but it said it was already in use wtf?

TVC15

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 05:43:48 AM »

EA really needs to understand that their shitty service is indeed really shitty, and just start lobbing their stuff on Steam like Activision and, well, everyone else does.

I think they realized EA Link was shitty and flushed it.  But I think they must have thought it was shitty in a different way than us, since they appear to have made things even worse.  The thing that makes this funny is that with the whole Orange Box thing, EA is distrbuting Valve's game.  So EA is distributing a game by a company whose advice EA needs to be taking on distribution.  Okay.

EAs store does suck, what's really bad is that I created an account back when it was EA Link and changed email address' since I switched ISPs and I went to my account and tried to enter in my new email but it said it was already in use wtf?

I haven't tried to access my old EA Link account with my BF2142 purchase.  I am expecting it to not be there anymore.
serge

Synbios459

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 06:09:28 AM »
Well there isn't much on it, just BF2:SF and 2142 patch but still. Actually, now I remember, I did make another EA account with my current email thinking I'd still be able to access what I bought but I have to enter my outdated one.

thekavorka

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 05:18:20 PM »
I doubt it. I heard Hitler was really bad in bed.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 12:13:22 AM »
damn, was beaten to it
o_0

Smooth Groove

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 12:18:17 AM »

I was talking more about a combo pack though, which seemed to work pretty well for ID and Valve. 

Ultima 7 and 8 both had perf issues because we were hitting a RAM wall back then.  Outside of that, and having some pretty high requirements for the time, Ultima 7 didn't perform badly.  Keep in mind it was doing a lot, comparable to RPGs today, even.  I wouldn't say he was a genius at getting performance, I'd say there was a limited number of ways to accomplish something like Ultima 7 at the time, and they found one that worked.  I don't think it's efficient by any means, but it's the first of its type.

Ultima 8 was poorly coded and, well, poorly everything else, too.

Ultima 9 had the poor everything thing going on.  I never got that running well.  I only ever played a little bit, and it at least seemed better than 8, though I heard it feels so chronically unfinished.

Yeah, U8&9 were kinda a sad way for Ultima to go out, which is why I'm still hoping for a AAA game that would give a proper end to the series.  Since EA own both Bungie and Ultima, there's still hope that Ultima can be given the conclusion that it deserves.