Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4220923 times)

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #37560 on: August 24, 2020, 05:46:49 PM »
You're like my dad Filler. He can't stand Carrey. Though to be fair I think he mainly knows him as a super over the top actor. Though I do think my dad does like The Grinch.

hmmm...

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37561 on: August 24, 2020, 05:47:28 PM »
I like that Adam keeps his peeps fed with netflix money. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37562 on: August 24, 2020, 05:49:32 PM »
You're like my dad Filler. He can't stand Carrey. Though to be fair I think he mainly knows him as a super over the top actor. Though I do think my dad does like The Grinch.

hmmm...
bore sr's undefeated  :whew

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #37563 on: August 25, 2020, 12:16:45 AM »
Adam West | Adam Sandler | Black Adam

thebore doesn't discriminate, all adams are welcome

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37564 on: August 25, 2020, 03:06:15 AM »
Watched I don't feel at home in this world anymore and Swiss Army Man for a double feature of indie weirdness. Liked them both though maybe I got bored in the very last few minutes both times ? Swiss Army Man is so weird (like a trash Where the wild things are) that it warrants a match even if only for the first reel. I don't feel... was less surprising but I like the extreme turn it takes (though everything after doesn't feel up to what happened).
ὕβρις

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #37565 on: August 25, 2020, 03:31:36 AM »
I can't stand Carey as a person, he's way too self-involved/drug-fucked, but he can act I guess

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37566 on: August 25, 2020, 10:59:54 AM »
I also found it on the boring side, but Joe Pesci had a really good subtle performance in it, he really stood out for me.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #37568 on: August 25, 2020, 10:11:05 PM »
Finished Twin Peaks season 2 and Fire Walk With Me tonight. I gotta say I still don't really understand a lot of FWWM, and now I notice a number of pretty glaring inconsistencies with the original run AND The Return. It's mostly in the characterization of Leland Palmer, as when he's being controlled by BOB is like....completely opposite from TV to movie. On the show, he's super flighty weirdo coocoo singing and dancing, but in the movie he's super serious and creepy weirdo. There's also in the show where he doesn't realize any of what he's done while under the influence until his dying moments, when BOB forces him to realize it as he leaves him, but in the movie, Leland breaks down and cries after BOB events and seems to realize that he's doing these things to his daughter as or right after he's done them. And Sarah Palmer clearly knows Leland is doing something to their daughter and also knows he's drugging her during these incidents and goes along with it anyway. Of course all of that is a bit hard to reconcile with Sarah being able to open her fucking face and being a frog moth interdimensional being inside there, or Laura being sent to the world as an orb of gold in a cosmic battle between good and evil.

Also Coop having a dream and visions about Laura before Laura's death seems like it should be a thing that came up in the show. And it also doesn't make much sense that he'd be in the Lodge warning her and then being there to see her off to heaven unless you take it as either 1. A timeline where Cooper didn't fuck things up and change reality or 2. This is the ultimate end where Coop fixed whatever and the only way he could have been having those dreams and visions and be in the lodge before Laura even dies is part of the timey wimey fuckery of season 3.

Also also Bobby straight up murders that dude because he was tweaking and freaked out, but in the show he breaks down crying that Laura forced him to kill a guy while talking to Dr. Jacoby, but Laura didn't have shit to do with it and even briefly sobered up to say what the fuck did you do.

There's also the frustration of the movie not answering any of the left of questions from the series, but raising a lot of new ones that never get answered even in The Return. For any type of closure on Smost story points, you have to read Mark Frost's Secret History of Twin Peaks, which Lynch hasn't and won't read, had nothing to do with, and considers it Mark's version of the story, not his. And even then, there's nothing about dang ol' Chester Desmond and what the fuck happened to him even with another season and two books.

remember that Lynch was upset about how Twin Peaks was forced to reveal Laura's killer etc... So he opens FWWM with a TV getting smashed. He includes everything he couldn't show on network TV, and makes everyone mean-spirited, removes all hope (except for the Angel in the boxcar, while Gorecki's Symphony of Sorrowfull Songs plays in the background...)  how much was by design, and how much was a direct f you to TV?

have you seen the edits that put the lost footage back in? they bridge some gaps, but its clear at the time Lynch was pretty angry.. but he still shot some of that TV Twin Peaks...

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #37569 on: August 26, 2020, 06:08:49 AM »
the blue rose cut is pretty good in bridging some stuff, then raising some more questions... but that's lynch for you

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37570 on: August 26, 2020, 08:44:34 AM »
The whole Twin Peaks continuum is especially messed with, if you think that Mulholland Dr. was also supposed to be Twin Peaks, with a "Audrey goes to Hollywood" kind of plot. :thinking
Nevertheless, FWWM, is still one of the best things Lynch's ever done, in my opinion.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37571 on: August 27, 2020, 12:04:52 AM »
I've been watching Asian movies for the last couple of weeks. Maybe to deal with covid, maybe to just get somethings off my list. But probably because I'm just interested in being able to say "I watch foreign film" and be snob.

Some of the movies I've watched:

A Better Tomorrow-Harboild is one of my favorite movies and obviously I'm aware that this is pretty much the progenitor of that type of film. Really enjoyed this though, Chow Yun Fat is amazing in how easily charismatic he is. And while the story is very corny, it's kind of quaint how simple and operatic it is. The movie takes time to depict a kind of epic story.

A Better Tomorrow(2010)-The south Korean movies is pretty meh. It's way too serious and overdone. It feels like it has no humanity unlike the other story. I late addition of a revenge subplot feels tacked on. Didn't care for it.

The Villainess-Man this action movie was abysmal. Now it was crazy, but simply because it just has so much going on. Lots of it incoherent. Lots of it makes you scratch your head in confusion.

Battle Royale-I mean I've seen this plenty of times. Read the book. Love it, but I haven't seen in a long time. It's still good. Pacing is excellent and it still feels very engaging with how it plays with the cast.

The Man from Nowhere-This movie could have been great. It has everything I want from this type of crime action movie. Mysterious lead, a tough and almost rogue cop, a villain with some honor, shit criminals you want to see killed, and an innocent kid at the center. Well shot with good action(nice knife fight). But then they have to explain where the man from Nowhere came from. I don't care about his backstory and it's lame. Still, I look back on it positively.

Crouching Tigger Hidden Dragon-Haven't seen it in years, but man has this movie aged well. Such a beautiful movie with a very human story. Great movie.

Shadow-This was nice too look at, but I never cared much about the lead. Still worth watching, because of how well made the movie is.

The Witch Subversion-I don't like movies that do something very stupid only for hours later to reveal it was stupid on purpose. It's just here the event that's stupid is nonsense that breaks logic. So I did'nt like this very animeish movie.

Bleach- This was ok as far as a live action adaptation goes. I guess they hit all the beats. It's just everyone is a jerk in this version and it kind of just ends.

Hero(1997)-Stupid movie, but amazing stunts and action.

ILLANG The Wolf Brigade-It's such an interesting adaption of Jin-Roh. It makes the changes you'd expect a Hollywood movie to make. It has the look of the anime, but makes you ask if it makes sense for the ww2 looking soldiers to shoot their gatling guns at very mobile CoD looking soldiers. The movie looks great, but it dosen't understand what Jin Roh was about or what the whole wolf metaphor was.

Burning-Man this movie was amazing. So layered and full of substance. A movie about metaphor and perspective. Is Ben a serial killer or just a really weird young rich man. is the main character right or is he driven by jealously and his own insercuity? Does it matter? What an amazing movie.

Train to Busan-What a fun movie full of charming characters and a tense situation. Really enjoyed this movie.

Fullmetal Alchemist-Trash

Does anyone have any recommendations based on what I've seen? I've seen stuff like Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr V, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, Hardboild, plenty of Jackie Chan stuff, various anime adaptations, and so on.

I've got A Better Tomorrow 2/3 and The Killer on order.

Have things like Seven Samurai, Sanjuro, Yojimba, and Blade of the Imortal on hand.

Downloaded Bullet in the Head and Full Contact for more Woo/Chow type movies.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 12:09:18 AM by Rahxephon91 »

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37572 on: August 27, 2020, 12:21:11 AM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37573 on: August 27, 2020, 09:28:35 PM »
New Planet of the Apes 1-3.  These were really good.  Never saw 3 and the only other time I saw 2, I watched it without ape-subs because I torrented it.  I feel like they are more realistic post-Corona as they accurately portray American greed and incompetence in the face of a pandemic. 

How to Train Your Dragon 1-3.  These were really good.  I liked when the black dragon and the white dragon fuck in 3. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37574 on: August 28, 2020, 05:15:20 AM »

:pimp

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #37575 on: August 28, 2020, 11:22:02 AM »
War for the Planet of the Apes was the best of the three

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37576 on: August 28, 2020, 03:02:47 PM »
The originals are good too, minus the first sequel, which is absolutely awful.

It is bad, but you gotta give it props for laying a lot of the foundation for modern post-apocalyptic scifi.
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37577 on: August 28, 2020, 03:07:05 PM »
I haven’t seen the sequel since I was a kid. I remember it being a very odd movie. Like clearly a shitty sequel, but strangely dark. I mean that ending is pretty crazy, especially if you’re watching it as a 11 year old.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37578 on: August 28, 2020, 03:14:54 PM »
tim burton version needed a sequel  :stahp

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37579 on: August 29, 2020, 09:51:29 AM »
Saw Tenet and it was exactly the experience I thought it would be : Exciting and intriguing premise (though a bit uncomfortable at how he's playing around gruesome real life events with a pinch of CIA whitewashing), impeccable taste, good casting, impressive visuals... The first half of the film is an enjoyable James Bond / Michael Mannesque / international spy mystery... But as usual, the gimmick spoils it (and in total honesty, isn't all that great), you get buried under shitty exposition & patronizing technobabble & self importance, characters get shallow, you see everything coming a mile away and the whole finale is loud and superfluous Tactical Espionage Action shit (somehow... Despite no one returning shots ? It's bizarre.) with some very light fizzle provided by the gimmick when something of a smaller scope might have been more clever (and less confusing). I'll constantly be baffled by Nolan's lack of confidence (?) in the visual ideas he has (which are great !) that he has to create those pseudo-complex structures and exposition filler. The prize of reaching mass audience perhaps...

Must see for Enterprise fans tho.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
TEMPORAL
COLD
WAR
[close]
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 01:08:44 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37580 on: August 29, 2020, 01:16:52 PM »
Saw Tenet and it was exactly the experience I thought it would be : Exciting and intriguing premise (though a bit uncomfortable at how he's playing around gruesome real life events with a pinch of CIA whitewashing), impeccable taste, good casting, impressive visuals... The first half of the film is an enjoyable James Bond / Michael Mannesque / international spy mystery... But as usual, the gimmick spoils it (and in total honesty, isn't all that great), you get buried under shitty exposition & patronizing technobabble & self importance, characters get shallow, you see everything coming a mile away and the whole finale is loud and superfluous Tactical Espionage Action shit (somehow... Despite no one returning shots ? It's bizarre.) with some very light fizzle provided by the gimmick when something of a smaller scope might have been more clever (and less confusing). I'll constantly be baffled by Nolan's lack of confidence (?) in the visual ideas he has (which are great !) that he has to create those pseudo-complex structures and exposition filler. The prize of reaching mass audience perhaps...

Must see for Enterprise fans tho.
TEMPORAL
COLD
WAR
[close]
This is basically a 1:1 description of Inception.
Cool premise, sleek visuals and action set pieces, overbearing idiot-proof exposition,  shallow characters, out of place Call of Duty style climax.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37581 on: August 29, 2020, 01:52:33 PM »
Didn't have the courage to watch Inception but that's basically the impression I had from everything/one. Down to the supporting cast / team (Pattinson is good... but I'm sure Hardy was too). The lead (J.D. Washington) is maybe more likeable than Di Caprio.
I don't know how I feel about the bad guy casting tho.

Branagh playing a hard boiled Russian arms dealer... Is kinda corny. Nolan can't help himself but swinging back to those very mediocre action blockbuster vibes.
[close]

I don't know if it's so much idiot proof exposition than needlessly complicating and intellectualizing a cool idea.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37582 on: August 29, 2020, 02:06:11 PM »
As for the "real life commentary" :

The opening in the Kiev (?) opera house is obviously inspired from the horrific terrorist attack in Moscow, including the sleeping gas. But it's treated as a false flag and our CIA protagonist (who is there to exfiltrate a package / someone) can't suffer innocent civilians dying. It's a well made scene but I was a bit :larry at the whole thing.

Later you have a major wink wink nudge nudge at 9/11.
[close]

That shit doesn't really go anywhere meaningful. Even less so than the second Batman by Nolan who kept obviously poking at Bush the Younger era shit but wiggled ambivalently about it.
ὕβρις

Bebpo

« Reply #37583 on: August 30, 2020, 04:02:46 AM »
Yeah, I enjoyed Bill & Ted 3.

It's super cute & earnest :omg

It's also essentially a family film (apparently the originals were PG?), and I haven't seen a wholesome film like this in a while, so being well done and just charming it was a good ride  :)

Couple random thoughts were that Samara Weaving is way too old to play a teen lol (the other girl was great), and why is Kid Cudi in the movie but he doesn't have a single song on the soundtrack or even rap?

Also credit song by Weezer, I haven't heard a Weezer song in like 15 years since they got bad, so that was kind of a throwback.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37584 on: August 30, 2020, 05:23:44 AM »
Watched Inception to verify how close it is to Tenet and yeah... Inception has more ambition with its dramatic writing and the trauma of the protagonist but I think I prefer the shallow approach of Tenet (though drama duty is shoved into a third wheel character and it gets grating after a point).
Both films also have that current of the world as playground for a bunch of shadow elite interests without much awareness about it. I don't want to go on a baby-Marx rant about class but let's just say Nolan's natural inclination in this seems obvious.

It's been said a thousand times but is there a greater summation of Nolan than "Dreamworld ! = A bunch of Syphon Filter levels" ?

Also watched the Dark Tower... It's 90mn long and that's probably its biggest quality. Though, as I often do, I'm not sure how it is that much aggressively offensive than most under average Hollywood drivel.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 03:15:58 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37585 on: August 30, 2020, 06:38:33 AM »
Watched Hot Fuzz with my buddies

Movie still rocks and hasn't aged a day. If you need something to take your mind of current events, this movie is perfect.
One of my friends is having a hard time and this really allowed him to zone out for a bit.

🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37586 on: August 30, 2020, 01:16:07 PM »
Dunkirk : Nolan kept a film under 2 hours and, what do you know, it's the best one he did in a while. The whole temporality thing isn't obstrusive here and actually help the pacing a lot. Beautifully shot, straightforward, the history is it's own drama and the whole thing is both epic and down to earth, with the images doing most of the talking. I still think in that vein that Gallipoli is a more complete, if flawed, package but it's well within the league of 1917

Tom Cruise's Dark Universe's The Mummy starring Tom Cruise :lol
Ok this one is really shite. There's something immediately off with the tone of having this in the modern age and Cruise being a shithead US soldier in Iraq, know-nothing, smile & quip machine. Some parts feel like a straight satire (that whole Anglican church scene with the ghouls... WTF), which is maybe intentional considering the Werewolf in London homage (?) but doesn't fit at all. It's otherwise poor all around, like a remake of the Sommers one without any charm or fun.
ὕβρις

bluemax

« Reply #37587 on: August 31, 2020, 12:33:09 AM »
Tenet is just
action movie Primer.
[close]

I don't think you're gonna have people analyzing the pieces of this like Primer or Inception though.

Here's some more enjoyable time travel:

NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37588 on: August 31, 2020, 12:44:21 AM »
Tenet is just
action movie Primer.
[close]

I don't think you're gonna have people analyzing the pieces of this like Primer or Inception though.

Heh, not a bad comparison.
I absolutely expect someone on YouTube to have a timeline and diagram of the whole climax,

Despite nothing being there or returning fire, just columns of dudes LARPing, apart from a couple of goons manning anti-air and bald henchman.
[close]

"It's not time travel tho" :foodcourt
[close]

Biggest letdown of the film :

Alluding to a Timecop effect if you touch your past/future self and not paying it off...

By the way, shouldn't have that triggered when hero dude fight himself in Oslo ?

NOLAN YOU HACK FRAUD
[close]
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37589 on: August 31, 2020, 12:57:22 AM »
Ong Bak 3: My focus drifted in and out of the movie and I saw Ong Bak 2 a loooong time ago, but this seemed very disjointed and confusing. I don't know if novelty wore off for me or if the craft is less compelling but Tony Jaa fights lost a lot of the ooooomph impact they had in Ong Bak, Tom Yum Goong or Born to Fight (the last one isn't starring Jaa but you get what I mean).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 06:26:46 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

bluemax

« Reply #37590 on: August 31, 2020, 10:11:49 PM »
Tenet is just
action movie Primer.
[close]

Heh, not a bad comparison.
I absolutely expect someone on YouTube to have a timeline and diagram of the whole climax,

Despite nothing being there or returning fire, just columns of dudes LARPing, apart from a couple of goons manning anti-air and bald henchman.
[close]

"It's not time travel tho" :foodcourt
[close]

Biggest letdown of the film :

Alluding to a Timecop effect if you touch your past/future self and not paying it off...

By the way, shouldn't have that triggered when hero dude fight himself in Oslo ?

NOLAN YOU HACK FRAUD
[close]

I feel like there were a lot of things given hype with almost no payoff, or just completely abandoned. Most of the first hour of the movie just seems to rush from set piece to set piece, most of which would be a big moment in another film and here they're just kinda done and over with. Probably so you see the payoffs later? The Tenet code word and hand symbol shows up ONCE almost immediately after it is explained.

The thing that really bugs me though, is that most of the movies drama revolves around the Protagonist being emotionally invested in the plight of the abused wife of the bad guy. I guess the early opera mission is supposed to set him up as someone who tries to avoid unnecessary loss of innocent life? I dunno, it just felt weird that he goes so heavily out of his way to protect and help this woman whose role in the whole thing seems over pretty early. Yes, she does end up doing something big in the end, but eh. I wish they had given just a bit more reason for going so out of his way to help her.

The whole final set piece felt very out of a video game. I'm sure some designer somewhere will watch it and complain that he had a level like that lined up. I think it being so video gamey is why it didn't feel that hard to follow. And yeah, who were the fighting? There are a few other dumb time paradoxy ideas but eh.
[close]
NO

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #37591 on: August 31, 2020, 10:32:25 PM »
Me trying to listen to the screeds of nonsense exposition in Tenet  :whatisthis

It's Nolan's metal gear solid 2. Make of that what you will.

◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #37592 on: August 31, 2020, 10:38:20 PM »
There was a good joke where "THE PROTAGONIST" asks Clémence Poésy's character how this shit works and she just says shut up nerd don't think about it.

◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #37593 on: August 31, 2020, 10:56:29 PM »
Watched The Adventures of Robin Hood and High and Low last night. Also been on a bit of a Peter Weir tear and caught The Mosquito Coast.

Adventures of Robin Hood is a good time all 'round. Love a bit of Errol Flynn and the bois standing up to illegitimate oppressors and getting their rocks off in the woods.

High and Low might be my new favourite Kurosawa, and one of my favourite films in general. A fascinating class-war drama, wrapped around the perfect pot boiler. Hits the highs of Hitchcocks best crime thrillers, with more sociopolitical intrigue. I'd been putting it off for a while as the premise seemed a little dry, but the execution is anything but.

Mosquito Coast rules, very reminiscent of Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo. I dig this a lot, and tbh I was surprised by the range in Fords performance. I love his schtick generally, big Star War and Indy fan, but this is his best performance I've seen.
◕‿◕

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #37594 on: September 01, 2020, 07:40:27 AM »
High and Low is Kurosawa's best non-samurai film.
Mifune & Kurosawa - what a combo

p.s. if you haven't seen Stray Dog... put it on your list

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37595 on: September 01, 2020, 12:43:51 PM »
Ya, Stray Dog is a good one. It's also a nice little peek at the early post-war era in Japan.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 11:03:16 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37596 on: September 01, 2020, 03:01:33 PM »
grabbed a korean cam of tenet, don't know if it's the shitty audio or just the movie, but I fell asleep and don't remember much  :yeshrug

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37597 on: September 01, 2020, 03:51:52 PM »
 :stahp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37598 on: September 01, 2020, 04:23:40 PM »
grabbed a korean cam of tenet, don't know if it's the shitty audio or just the movie, but I fell asleep and don't remember much  :yeshrug

Should have watched a good movie instead, like Bill & Ted Face the Music (Certified Fresh by Rotten Tomatoes).
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37599 on: September 01, 2020, 09:16:59 PM »
was just about to put tenet back on and remembered I could hear somebody eating popcorn  :fabulous this not my type of asmr  :fbm

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37600 on: September 02, 2020, 04:36:31 AM »

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #37601 on: September 02, 2020, 07:23:53 PM »
Does anyone else kinda of wish that jude law and ethan hawk found a reason to sleep together in gattaca?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37602 on: September 02, 2020, 07:26:01 PM »
Nope, rule34 does not have it.  You are alone. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37603 on: September 02, 2020, 08:30:30 PM »
missed a lot of the dialogue and a lot of the time felt like "they're doing hwat? hwhy?"  :whatisthis

figured out what was going on  :beli  this shid is like nolan don't know what to do anymore  :flabbypd

wachowski broads need to show nolan how this matrix shid is done  8)

wachowski could prob make a better batman too tbh  :maduro

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #37604 on: September 02, 2020, 08:35:08 PM »
The second best thing the wachoskis have done after the first matrix is go away.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37605 on: September 02, 2020, 09:31:44 PM »
The second best thing the wachoskis have done after the first matrix is go away.

:dead
dog

naff

« Reply #37606 on: September 03, 2020, 12:57:18 AM »
hey, i like cloud atlas and speed racer. the latter especially is underrated. love sense8.
◕‿◕

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #37607 on: September 03, 2020, 01:29:02 AM »
Seeing Speed Racer on a big IMAX was one of my favorite in-theater experiences. Maybe my favorite movie that's under 50% on RT.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37608 on: September 04, 2020, 09:47:27 AM »

saw kaufman and horror and thought  :whoo

then I watch the trailer and :oreilly

I'm sure it's good, but maybe a little much right now  :doge
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:59:52 AM by filler »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37609 on: September 04, 2020, 09:57:40 PM »

Too bad it wasn’t Lloyd Kaufman. When’s he getting that fat Netflix payday? ::)
©@©™

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37610 on: September 04, 2020, 11:39:15 PM »

then I watch the trailer and :oreilly

I'm sure it's good, but maybe a little much right now  :doge
Looks dope.
Wasn't a massive fan of Synechdoche, which this seems close to, but Kaufman is consistently excellent.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37611 on: September 05, 2020, 02:27:59 AM »
I'd prefer something more like the child's play reboot right now  :doge

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #37612 on: September 05, 2020, 09:37:11 AM »
Mulan is safe, boring, humorless, and heavy-handed. Basically, like pretty much every new live-action Disney film.

nudemacusers

« Reply #37613 on: September 05, 2020, 10:22:41 AM »
Mulan is safe, boring, humorless, and heavy-handed. Basically, like pretty much every new live-action Disney film.
yeah i was 100% not interested in watching this but i'm surrounded by children who are consoomer trash persons so i capitulated... movie is just not good and completely bland in every dimension.

also like the aladdin remake & the lion king one, something is weird about the way they are filmbled that makes them feel  oddly small scale and cheap. probably a net result of tiny shoebox green screen sets and the most boring direction possible.

this is technically a spoiler but if you care you need to not be 10 years old, seriously how can you release this and think it's badasss :lol

https://twitter.com/slamacao/status/1301994108664328192

:trash
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 10:27:35 AM by nudemacusers »
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37614 on: September 05, 2020, 10:38:55 AM »
something is weird about the way they are filmbled that makes them feel  oddly small scale and cheap. probably a net result of tiny shoebox green screen sets and the most boring direction possible.

Almost as if there was a reason to make those animated and not live in the first place.
I guess people at Disney don't particularly care as long as the money comes in.
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

« Reply #37615 on: September 05, 2020, 10:52:16 AM »
i think the films could translate just fine to live action if handled with any sense of energy or artfulness; instead we get stuff that it produced like a disney channel special with 10x the budget.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37616 on: September 05, 2020, 11:01:16 AM »
Ya its not like you can't inherently do these stories in live action you just can't try to copy the cartoons frame-by-frame and expect it to work.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37617 on: September 05, 2020, 11:41:43 AM »
i think the films could translate just fine to live action if handled with any sense of energy or artfulness; instead we get stuff that it produced like a disney channel special with 10x the budget.
The things is: There's a rich choice of excellent wuxia cinema out there, Mulan's addition, even if done better than this, is completely superfluous.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37618 on: September 05, 2020, 12:59:48 PM »
Because of the politics and the fact that it is such a trash fire of a movie, scores of Disney fans, feminists and CCP shills now stan this garbage, leaving us with user reviews of either 1/10 or 10/10.  :notlikethis
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 02:15:59 PM by Nintex »
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #37619 on: September 05, 2020, 01:54:27 PM »
And for something different I learned today.

Danny Trejo is close to 80 years old :mindblown