Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| THE DARKEST TIMELINE  (Read 2342303 times)

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: US Politics Thread |OT| THE DARKEST TIMELINE
« Reply #23040 on: November 10, 2016, 01:10:08 PM »
Love you, Andy.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #23041 on: November 10, 2016, 01:12:18 PM »
http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=223956123&postcount=76

It's pretty amazing just how much of an house of cards the Clinton campaign now appears, even if there's a lot of confirmation bias at work. Slogan analysis for instance is a bit of a futile exercice in projection, had Hillary won (which came down to 100k votes over three states, even if by all means it being a close race was already a problem) we would read lyrical pieces about how those were great slogans and how the Dems were right to endorse optimism in their convention against the Trump negative messaging that the country was broken...

Also Bill Clinton confirmed alt right minority hater by trying to reach poor whites.

Oh my god, that Benji post. "It's Your Turn."

Fucking  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Like Pottery.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #23042 on: November 10, 2016, 01:15:09 PM »
http://www.vox.com/world/2016/11/10/13585524/donald-trump-phone-call-south-korea-park-geun-hye

The first flip-flop on a Trump policy only took two days after claiming he was going to cut off trade and military deals with South Korea during the campaign :lol

Four years of this shit and already off to a worse start than Dubya. And I'm pretty sure Dubya had a shared partnership with Putin instead of being a bottom. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/moscow-had-contacts-with-trump-team-during-campaign-russian-diplomat-says/2016/11/10/28fb82fa-a73d-11e6-9bd6-184ab22d218e_story.html?tid=sm_tw

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #23043 on: November 10, 2016, 01:17:11 PM »
From that list of slogan, I like "Keep moving" (Nothing to see here ?)

W. Bush are nowhere near as bad

I love his folksy charm as much as anyone and he's not a raging egomaniac, but he's the man who authorized Guantanamo, black sites, torture, widespread surveillance and getting into an unnecessary war despite a lot of international unrest, ignoring and lying to the UN in the process.

W.Bush legacy was terrible.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:22:13 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #23044 on: November 10, 2016, 01:20:01 PM »
The Republican leadership is going to come to the harsh realization that people do want a wall, they do want renegotiated trade treaties, they do want a deportation force, they do want Obamacare repealed while also wanting affordable healthcare, they do want a larger military, they do want drastically lower taxes and they want all of this to not raise the debt. It's going to be sad watching them.
vin

Tasty

« Reply #23045 on: November 10, 2016, 01:20:49 PM »
America has weathered Nixon and W, we can handle four years of Trump

Nixon and W. Bush are nowhere near as bad as Trump and you know it :doge

No shit. No fucking shit. Did I say they were?

They're emblematic of a divided America. They were terrible presidents that led to a lot of doomsday talk and hyperbole and hand-wringing from the left.

But you know what? America got through it, just like we'll get through this.

This is what you can expect from Trump. Basically, anything.

It's worrying mostly because of the GOP controlling congress. Anything they want is only a Trump signature away, and if Trump doesn't really care he'll probably just sign it. The Republicans have free reign now and that's what scares me most about Trump's presidency.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #23046 on: November 10, 2016, 01:27:03 PM »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #23047 on: November 10, 2016, 01:29:32 PM »
I think I might reactivate my Facebook after inauguration day to make a single post each month: unemployment figures, budget deficits, trade deficits, average wage increases, CPI and national debt figures.  That should be a good way to engage the Trump supporters I know.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #23049 on: November 10, 2016, 01:30:54 PM »
The Department of Justice is indicting former Rep. Aaron Schock
President-elect Trump gets results against corruption!

Drain the swamp!

Himu

« Reply #23050 on: November 10, 2016, 01:36:39 PM »
The negativity created a tune out effect I think.  I was tired of both campaigns and onslaught of articles of "A Hillary email had this" or "The Clinton Foundation once did this" along with "Trump once said some really outrageous shit".  It was exhausting.

Yeah, I was done with the election by June
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #23051 on: November 10, 2016, 01:37:48 PM »

A national recall went out Wednesday for the special “Madame President” issue of Newsweek that was prematurely shipped to stores and newsstands across the country.

At the same time, the publisher of the magazine will rush the “President Trump” version of the commemorative issue to press on Thursday — so it will get to stores next week.

“Like everybody else, we got it wrong,” said Tony Romando, CEO of Topix Media, the Newsweek partner which produces special issues under the popular brand.

Both a Clinton and a Trump commemorative issue were designed and laid out in advance, but Topix Media, believing late last week that Clinton was likely to win, shipped only the Clinton issue.
whoops

benjipwns

« Reply #23052 on: November 10, 2016, 01:39:26 PM »
Secretary of Education:
Dr. Ben Carson
Hoover Institution fellow William Evers
:aah

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #23053 on: November 10, 2016, 01:42:48 PM »
From that list of slogan, I like "Keep moving" (Nothing to see here ?)

W. Bush are nowhere near as bad

I love his folksy charm as much as anyone and he's not a raging egomaniac, but he's the man who authorized Guantanamo, black sites, torture, widespread surveillance and getting into an unnecessary war despite a lot of international unrest, ignoring and lying to the UN in the process.

W.Bush legacy was terrible.

And its a legacy that will never end.  Imagine all the Trump shit people will still be living with in 20 years.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #23054 on: November 10, 2016, 01:45:50 PM »

It's pretty amazing just how much of an house of cards the Clinton campaign now appears, even if there's a lot of confirmation bias at work. Slogan analysis for instance is a bit of a futile exercice in projection, had Hillary won (which came down to 100k votes over three states, even if by all means it being a close race was already a problem) we would read lyrical pieces about how those were great slogans and how the Dems were right to endorse optimism in their convention against the Trump negative messaging that the country was broken...

Also Bill Clinton confirmed alt right minority hater by trying to reach poor whites.

Bill warned them. I'm guessing Obama and Biden warned them too. Amazing...

Nothing really changed from 08. She simply hired some of Obama's top people but operated the same

At least we don't have to hear from the Clintons anymore. Meanwhile Obama has to travel the country to find a potential Jedi capable of striking down Darth Trump.

already better than The Force Awakens
:whew

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #23055 on: November 10, 2016, 01:50:30 PM »

that was probably all Cheney

Does it matter? That's probably gonna be the worst part of Trump's presidency; not the shitty stuff he'll do, but the shitty stuff he's gonna let other people do just because he doesn't know or care.
©@©™

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #23056 on: November 10, 2016, 02:18:38 PM »
The Republican leadership is going to come to the harsh realization that people do want a wall, they do want renegotiated trade treaties, they do want a deportation force, they do want Obamacare repealed while also wanting affordable healthcare, they do want a larger military, they do want drastically lower taxes and they want all of this to not raise the debt. It's going to be sad watching them.

The fun part is when the House splits.

Remember how the freedom caucus held up everything?

Well, now the "Bush" caucus will hold up stuff like trade wars.

Best case scenario anyway.
:O

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #23057 on: November 10, 2016, 02:19:26 PM »
America survived Nixon. Cambodia? Not so much.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like your attitude Andy.
[close]

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #23058 on: November 10, 2016, 02:28:49 PM »
Who are the electoral college voters?

Can 30 of them flip?

Find out on my facebook news feed.
:O

Boredfrom

« Reply #23059 on: November 10, 2016, 02:50:10 PM »
HOLY SHIT at the nytimes.com pic of Trump and Obama shaking hands

Trump REALLY didn't want to be president did he :sabu

He will start to boast himself up in some days, weeks or until inaguration if we are optimistic and hopelful. But he probably thought that winning the election would feel better than what he is currently feeling.

Steve Contra

« Reply #23060 on: November 10, 2016, 02:56:17 PM »

The fun part is when the House splits.

Remember how the freedom caucus held up everything?

Well, now the "Bush" caucus will hold up stuff like trade wars.

Best case scenario anyway.
I can't wait for Trump to start savaging the people that fight him on his agenda.  I expect a serious bodycount in the primaries.
vin

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #23061 on: November 10, 2016, 03:10:37 PM »
HOLY SHIT at the nytimes.com pic of Trump and Obama shaking hands

Trump REALLY didn't want to be president did he :sabu

Nope. SAD!
©ZH

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #23062 on: November 10, 2016, 03:13:31 PM »
I've seen people mentioning that there isn't anything holding congress back from immediately impeaching Trump day 1 and letting Pence take over.
©ZH

Syph

« Reply #23063 on: November 10, 2016, 03:15:04 PM »

Bill warned them. I'm guessing Obama and Biden warned them too. Amazing...

Nothing really changed from 08. She simply hired some of Obama's top people but operated the same

At least we don't have to hear from the Clintons anymore. Meanwhile Obama has to travel the country to find a potential Jedi capable of striking down Darth Trump.

already better than The Force Awakens
:whew
member chewbacca?
XO

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #23064 on: November 10, 2016, 03:20:11 PM »
I've seen people mentioning that there isn't anything holding congress back from immediately impeaching Trump day 1 and letting Pence take over.

Dear god, no. Pence would be worse than Trump in so many ways.

Brehvolution

« Reply #23065 on: November 10, 2016, 03:24:01 PM »

Dear god, no. Pence would be worse than Trump in so many ways.

That's the point. Trump may push back on some of the more evil things the gop has on it's list. Whereas Pence would be a rubber stamp for it all.
©ZH

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #23066 on: November 10, 2016, 03:37:23 PM »
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/305339-clinton-world-dumbfounded-by-hillarys-election-defeat

Clinton Campaign ignored Michigan despite campaign workers saying there was a problem and ignored other "Rust Belt" states. Didn't do tracking polls in the final month or go back to campaign in states Bernie won. And seemed to put more effort and time into the victory party than actually winning the thing because they believed "He's Trump" would take them through

:mindblown :snoop :picard :iface :idont :cmonson

(The dem fuckery from the fallout is going to be even more amazing in the next few weeks)

thisismyusername

« Reply #23067 on: November 10, 2016, 03:39:37 PM »
"But it's her turn, tho? :idont "

As soon as that DNC e-mail leak showing their contempt for Bernie happened, it was over IMO. I voted write-in (instead of reluctantly Hillary despite my distaste toward her/history) on that alone. You wanna rig your Primary (that I couldn't even vote in, due to state laws/being independent party) against someone that is getting more political action/enthusiasm because "it's her turn?" Fuck off. Double fuck off to Debbie for it.

Himu

« Reply #23068 on: November 10, 2016, 03:40:20 PM »
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/305339-clinton-world-dumbfounded-by-hillarys-election-defeat

Clinton Campaign ignored Michigan despite campaign workers saying there was a problem and ignored other "Rust Belt" states. Didn't do tracking polls in the final month or go back to campaign in states Bernie won. And seemed to put more effort and time into the victory party than actually winning the thing because they believed "He's Trump" would take them through

:mindblown :snoop :picard :iface :idont :cmonson

(The dem fuckery from the fallout is going to be even more amazing in the next few weeks)

Jesus Christ
IYKYK

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #23069 on: November 10, 2016, 03:42:31 PM »
地平線

Bebpo

« Reply #23070 on: November 10, 2016, 03:42:33 PM »
The glimmer of hope is that I'm actually being surprised (in a mourningful good way) by the way the people of our nation are coming together and crossing party lines to be against Trump.  I live in a very red part of California, and I've been really surprised constantly everywhere I go overhearing local upper middle class/rich white republicans being upset & depressed Trump won.  The slightly lower overall republican turn out in the election which was already boosted by a lot of new gains, means a good chunk of republicans did not vote for him because they're decent people and didn't want to vote for what he stood for.  Yeah, there are plenty of horrible people out there, many who are going to be empowered by this, but just like in high school where there were always douchebag shitheads being loud, they weren't the majority and they're not the majority of americans.  Most americans from what I'm seeing reject Trump and his ideals, regardless of party lines.  There's decent good working people everywhere which is nice to still be reminded of.  Fwiw, I've never seen republicans as united with democrats as yesterday and today on a local anecdotal basis.  Decent people do not want what Trump represents.

Also everyone both democrats/independants/some republicans, young, old, male, female, white, minority are all REALLY energized right now and working together and what they can do now, for the next for years, and for 2020.  A big issue with democratic candidates is always the apathetic /shrug not worth voting turnout problem when things get complacent.  For all the flaws and blame, at the end of the day when democrats can get people to give a shit and come out and vote, they win.  From what I'm seeing, this election just lit a fire under everyone's ass and the turnout in 2020 could be huge if they can maintain the energy (which unfortunately may be maintained by lots of horrible shit happening on a regular basis). 

Now obviously these are all just small positives in an overall very bad situation that is going to hurt, kill and destroy lots of people over the next 4 years and fuck up a ton of stuff which is beyond horrible.  But at least there's some hope still, which is better than an abyss of nothing but death and destruction.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #23071 on: November 10, 2016, 03:43:41 PM »
If she fucked up her campaign that badly, I can't imagine how mismanaged her presidency would have been. How much donor money did they have again? Jesus what a fuckup :lol

thisismyusername

Boredfrom

« Reply #23073 on: November 10, 2016, 03:53:51 PM »
Man, liberal twitter is getting stupid, William Gibson just retweeted someone comparing the election as the twin towers falling.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #23074 on: November 10, 2016, 04:01:11 PM »
It's not really out of the realm. My co-worker and I were comparing times we had been 'the most shocked' by a news event and 9/11 and Tyson losing to Buster Douglas were the ones we came up with.

Actually, 9/11 was less shocking because there was a precedent for it (the bombings in 94). It was just the method that was shocking.

Boredfrom

« Reply #23075 on: November 10, 2016, 04:02:01 PM »
Quote from: ToxicAdam
It's not really out of the realm. My co-worker and I were comparing times we had been 'the most shocked' by a news event and 9/11 and Tyson losing to Buster Douglas were the ones we came up with.

Actually, 9/11 was less shocking because there was a precedent for it (the bombings in 94). It was just the method that was shocking.

Is shocking but not close to be the same kind of tragedy

The glimmer of hope is that I'm actually being surprised (in a mourningful good way) by the way the people of our nation are coming together and crossing party lines to be against Trump.  I live in a very red part of California, and I've been really surprised constantly everywhere I go overhearing local upper middle class/rich white republicans being upset & depressed Trump won.  The slightly lower overall republican turn out in the election which was already boosted by a lot of new gains, means a good chunk of republicans did not vote for him because they're decent people and didn't want to vote for what he stood for.  Yeah, there are plenty of horrible people out there, many who are going to be empowered by this, but just like in high school where there were always douchebag shitheads being loud, they weren't the majority and they're not the majority of americans.  Most americans from what I'm seeing reject Trump and his ideals, regardless of party lines.  There's decent good working people everywhere which is nice to still be reminded of.  Fwiw, I've never seen republicans as united with democrats as yesterday and today on a local anecdotal basis.  Decent people do not want what Trump represents.

Also everyone both democrats/independants/some republicans, young, old, male, female, white, minority are all REALLY energized right now and working together and what they can do now, for the next for years, and for 2020.  A big issue with democratic candidates is always the apathetic /shrug not worth voting turnout problem when things get complacent.  For all the flaws and blame, at the end of the day when democrats can get people to give a shit and come out and vote, they win.  From what I'm seeing, this election just lit a fire under everyone's ass and the turnout in 2020 could be huge if they can maintain the energy (which unfortunately may be maintained by lots of horrible shit happening on a regular basis). 

Now obviously these are all just small positives in an overall very bad situation that is going to hurt, kill and destroy lots of people over the next 4 years and fuck up a ton of stuff which is beyond horrible.  But at least there's some hope still, which is better than an abyss of nothing but death and destruction.

Tell that to the new and old media.

Bebpo

« Reply #23076 on: November 10, 2016, 04:03:15 PM »
"But it's her turn, tho? :idont "

As soon as that DNC e-mail leak showing their contempt for Bernie happened, it was over IMO. I voted write-in (instead of reluctantly Hillary despite my distaste toward her/history) on that alone. You wanna rig your Primary (that I couldn't even vote in, due to state laws/being independent party) against someone that is getting more political action/enthusiasm because "it's her turn?" Fuck off. Double fuck off to Debbie for it.

I still think dwelling on this was pointless.  Everyone has their preferences, and if you hack anyone's emails they will probably say some negative stuff about other people in private.  Bernie even came out and said as much.  I never saw anything that showed the DNC rigged the primary so Bernie couldn't win if that was who people wanted more.  He lost the primary by millions of votes, it wasn't even close.  I voted for Hillary in the primary over Bernie and nobody rigged my vote to make me pick her.  I compared the two and I liked Hillary's policies which were thoroughly detailed better than the pie in the sky we'll put the banks in jail! Bernie talk which was about as realistic as Trump putting Hillary in jail.  Bernie did a terrible job with minorities and the blue collar/millennial vote wasn't enough to win him the primary.  But hey, it was rigged against him and the DNC are cheats so lots of people didn't vote D to spite the DNC (every day now I'm hearing from more and more independent or democratic registered friends/friends of friends who didn't vote D because they were unhappy Bernie lost), and now we have Trump.  Yay.

Tell that to the new and old media.

?  The TV stuff I'm seeing in the background (not Fox News though), has been pretty much interviewing people who are like Trump is a terrible person, why did you do this america?

thisismyusername

« Reply #23077 on: November 10, 2016, 04:08:41 PM »
Man, liberal twitter is getting stupid, William Gibson just retweeted someone comparing the election as the twin towers falling.

He's generally not that bad and pretty reasonable. But Clara in general (who him and Joss Whedon apparently follow) is an idiot.

I still think dwelling on this was pointless.  Everyone has their preferences, and if you hack anyone's emails they will probably say some negative stuff about other people in private.  Bernie even came out and said as much. 

Sure, and I don't disagree. But, it confirmed what a lot of people thought: The DNC did not want him in the primary race and didn't want any challengers because "it's her turn!" That's what pissed a lot of his supporters off. All you had to do was go to reddit's /r/politics to see how many people hated the way Debbie Wasserman-Schultz was handling the primary and thinking it was rigged.

Rigged or not, we'll never know. The e-mails just show they had contempt for him and that's where my issue comes in. If you can't give that person an honest attempt or at least try some of his policies and getting them into Clinton (who did it too late, IMO), why should I vote for you?

Steve Contra

« Reply #23078 on: November 10, 2016, 04:10:40 PM »
And on a lighter note:

https://twitter.com/GreatDismal/status/796799232900407296
The biggest mystery of this campaign will be how someone as educated and talented as Ben Carson is as dumb as he is.  And not like folksy dumb or just full of shitty ideas like lots of Republicans, but like, someone who tries to cook meth in a Walmart bathroom bathroom by putting up a handmade "out of order" sign dumb.
vin

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #23079 on: November 10, 2016, 04:13:18 PM »
Bernie Sanders wasn't even a Democrat until last November, of course the DNC didn't want him.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #23080 on: November 10, 2016, 04:13:57 PM »
username every time I think you're not an idiot you pull something stupid out and parade it like you're on a goddamn runway.

Get fucked.

Tasty

« Reply #23081 on: November 10, 2016, 04:14:40 PM »
All you had to do was go to reddit's /r/politics

:dead

thisismyusername

« Reply #23082 on: November 10, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »

Related:

http://www.citylab.com/politics/2016/11/the-shattering-of-clintons-blue-wall-in-two-maps/507149/

username every time I think you're not an idiot you pull something stupid out and parade it like you're on a goddamn runway.

Get fucked.

How's that Trump win working for you? Like I told you would happen? :smug

All you had to do was go to reddit's /r/politics

:dead

I know, I know. But that is where Sander's supporters were. Which is where Clinton should've been as soon as he flamed out and trying to get support.

Tasty

« Reply #23083 on: November 10, 2016, 04:20:55 PM »

Wow, you sure showed us. Thanks for essentially voting for a VP that endorses conversion therapy. You're a sparkling gem of humanity.

Have fun in the write-in club with JayDubya and AiA. You'll fit right in, you two-faced piece of human garbage.

Himu

« Reply #23085 on: November 10, 2016, 04:21:43 PM »
Who did Username vote for?
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #23086 on: November 10, 2016, 04:21:54 PM »
The focus shift from "millenial protest voters and third parties think they have any influence in this election. LOL! Hillary already is guaranteed to reach 270 at a minimum we don't need to appease or even mention their name" to "wow you really ruined this election. Don't you know every vote counts? We counted on you guys!"

It shows a complete lack of self-awareness, and that needs to be one front that is corrected.

I know people are saying the democrats ignored the youth vote, but somehow I didn't see that?  I'll admit I may have been in a bubble, only watching the bigger events but when I watched the convention, it seemed like everyone was talking to the young youth voters to get out and vote.  I mean they tried to make Hillary look "cool" for a bit, but that just horribly failed because she was not cool, at all.  I'm not sure what else they could have done to bring in youth voters?

I do agree in the very last week or so when the polls became very much in Hillary's favor, people (especially gaf) got really full of themselves, which was dumb because you don't count your eggs before they hatch.  I mean on election day I was getting a massage from a gay therapist and he was asking me what kind of drink I thought Hillary would have when she won and how many electoral votes she was gonna win by.  I was like uhhh, don't jinx it and was totally nervous even before numbers came in because I tend to be more expect the worst, hope for the best myself.

Wow, you sure showed us. Thanks for essentially voting for a VP that endorses conversion therapy. You're a sparkling gem of humanity.

Have fun in the write-in club with JayDubya and AiA. You'll fit right in, you two-faced piece of human garbage.

Pretty sure JayDubya is a hardcore republican though, and by writing in and not choosing trump, he's actively disowning Trump's policies which is a positive thing.  I do have issues with democrats who wrote in Harambe or some other stupid shit though as wtf :|

Himu

« Reply #23088 on: November 10, 2016, 04:24:36 PM »
He probably voted for Harambe.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #23089 on: November 10, 2016, 04:26:10 PM »
Also related to going to the Internet to find the political issues:

https://twitter.com/SiyandaWrites/status/796286719058382848

He probably voted for Harambe.

No. Busta Rhymes like A_I_A. Because plot twist: I've been A_I_A all this time. :doge Also to both of you: I've stated I live in a blue-county. My vote "mattering" insofar as holding my nose and voting Hillary? Didn't matter, still went to Hillary. BUT: Didn't matter, state went Trump because the rural areas around the county (read: Other countries) had issues that Trump supported.

IMO: Both of them were shit candidates for various reasons. You can blame me for Trump, and I'll take that. But I wasn't going to vote for either of them.

Himu

« Reply #23090 on: November 10, 2016, 04:27:29 PM »

Let me get this straight.

You're gloating that Trump won.

But you voted write in.

IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #23091 on: November 10, 2016, 04:28:40 PM »

But you voted write in.

http://i.imgur.com/zNLITgi.gif

See above. My vote going to Hillary wouldn't have mattered. But go on and blame me for his inevitable win in states that Hillary wouldn't have held like I told you guys about. I can take it.

Tasty

« Reply #23092 on: November 10, 2016, 04:29:25 PM »
You can blame me for Trump, and I'll take that.

I don't need your permission, you're guilty of it either way.

Next four years should be fun. You might as well not even post in this thread anymore tbh.

Bebpo

« Reply #23093 on: November 10, 2016, 04:33:03 PM »

But you voted write in.

See above. My vote going to Hillary wouldn't have mattered. But go on and blame me for his inevitable win in states that Hillary wouldn't have held like I told you guys about. I can take it.

I get it.  Some of my friends (mostly younger ones or female friends for some reason) did the same because we live in a very blue state.  The problem is that this is can be a bad idea if the election matters.  Because even in "assured" colored states, if everyone has the same mindset of who cares, my state is red/blue, then it could change.  I still think it's pretty important to vote seriously no matter the situation, but I'm old in my ways at this point and like I said I expect the worst, so I'm not taking chances in something as important as an election.

Himu

« Reply #23094 on: November 10, 2016, 04:33:29 PM »

But you voted write in.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm not even sure what your circumstances are or what state you live in. I'm just confused at your logic because I'm lacking facts. You haven't told me anything. I avoided thebore before the election.

All in all, it still comes across as selfish if you were against Trump. Then again, I have no room to cast fingers: I voted for Jill Stein in 2012 election because I live in a red state. That is an L I will take to my grave given her stances on some issues I disagree about.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #23095 on: November 10, 2016, 04:42:27 PM »
The problem is that this is can be a bad idea if the election matters.  Because even in "assured" colored states, if everyone has the same mindset of who cares
You only have control over your own vote.

Bebpo

« Reply #23096 on: November 10, 2016, 04:45:13 PM »
The focus shift from "millenial protest voters and third parties think they have any influence in this election. LOL! Hillary already is guaranteed to reach 270 at a minimum we don't need to appease or even mention their name" to "wow you really ruined this election. Don't you know every vote counts? We counted on you guys!"

It shows a complete lack of self-awareness, and that needs to be one front that is corrected.

I know people are saying the democrats ignored the youth vote, but somehow I didn't see that?  I'll admit I may have been in a bubble, only watching the bigger events but when I watched the convention, it seemed like everyone was talking to the young youth voters to get out and vote.  I mean they tried to make Hillary look "cool" for a bit, but that just horribly failed because she was not cool, at all.  I'm not sure what else they could have done to bring in my youth voters?

I do agree in the very last week or so when the polls became very much in Hillary's favor, people (especially gaf) got really full of themselves, which was dumb because you don't count your eggs before they hatch.  I mean on election day I was getting a massage from a gay therapist and he was asking me what kind of drink I thought Hillary would have when she won and how many electoral votes she was gonna win by.  I was like uhhh, don't jinx it and was totally nervous even before numbers came in because I tend to be more expect the worst, hope for the best myself.
I don't think millennials or the air of anti-establishment views in America were ever seriously considered. I think there's this mixture of inattention that went on from either arrogance or insulation. They took minority votes and states completely for granted, that "thehill" article even cites an aide that thought they didn't do well enough in the rust belt because they thought it was on lock. I also think they took appeasement to Bernie supporters to a certain extent, but kinda ignored the possibility of large political ramifications happening. Look at the DNC 2016, protests and chants erupted across speeches, yet it was completely dismissed. They appeased on some policies, they told them to have unity, and just took for granted that they had to vote for her come election day. I don't think millennials didn't turn out because they were lazy or took things for granted, I think their lack of voting is a sign of discontent that wasn't properly addressed.

Again, I'm not sure what you wanted them to do?  Like you said, they did react to the Bernie voters which was mostly the millennial vote by moving further left and incorporating some of Bernie's policies in saying that she was going to work with him and push for his ideas.  That was totally reactionary and done to make the youth voters/bernie voters feel more comfortable with the Clinton ticket.  Beyond that, I'm not sure what she was supposed to do?  Visit more colleges? 

I agree, the youth vote is incredibly important.  If you can get the youth to come out at 33% instead of 19%, you win the election.  But from the past 4 or 5 elections I've been a part of, the only time the youth seem to come out in good numbers is when someone is cool like Obama.  But in this election, what was "cool" to the youth sadly was actually Trump because of reddit and memes and so white youth voters went for Trump which is pretty scary tbh.  I feel like this subset is a result of this whole super fucked up internet millennial stuff about men not being men and having trouble dating and it's all women's fault, which brings stuff like gamergate and at the end of the day all stems from the internet preventing modern kids from developing healthy social interactions and instead finding group think reinforcement that young men are the victims and it's everyone else's fault.  But now I'm going off on a tanget.  This stuff really bothers me though and is creating a voting block and existing block of frustrated young men who end up in mass shootings, rapes, online abusing, etc.... if they hit a breaking point.  For everything the internet has helped and been amazing for, there's are also many things in the world where the internet has spawned new substantial societal problems and at some point we need to address the problems created by the internet on society.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #23097 on: November 10, 2016, 04:47:18 PM »
The problem is that this is can be a bad idea if the election matters.  Because even in "assured" colored states, if everyone has the same mindset of who cares
You only have control over your own vote.
Unless you're etiolate, the influencer. :smug

That said, prevalent attitudes about anything don't just pop into existence from nothing.

benjipwns

« Reply #23098 on: November 10, 2016, 04:48:01 PM »
That said, prevalent attitudes about anything don't just pop into existence from nothing.
That sounds like it popped in from nothing. :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #23099 on: November 10, 2016, 04:49:20 PM »
18-29 turnout:
2004: 17% (54-45 Kerry)
2008: 18% (66-32 Obama)
2012: 19% (60-37 Obama)
2016: 19% (55-37 Clinton)