Author Topic: Pro Wrasslin' Thread: I don't know what I just saw  (Read 946421 times)

dkdk

Re: Pro Wrasslin' Thread - NJPW Road to New Beginning 1/30
« Reply #1860 on: January 26, 2015, 11:08:53 PM »
i think the crowd would've booed regardless of how reigns won b/c he's just not the fans guy. it's just funny that the wwe took every step to avoid boos and it backfired like shit.

Himu

« Reply #1861 on: January 26, 2015, 11:15:11 PM »
Mmmm. I disagree. Fans don't hate Reigns. They hate shit booking. The heat isn't on Reigns; fans like Reigns. The heat is on WWE's awful choices. D bry barely had any time to warm up. Ambrose and Ziggler didn't get a chance to steal the show. Then there's the point in the matter that Cesaro wasn't even IN the Rumble despite an amazing performance last year, add in Wyatt's awful disqualification. If the last four in the ring were Ambrose, Ziggler, Bryan, and Reigns, and they managed to make Reigns look legit - and they have done this before - in knocking them out, I don't think there'd be NEARLY as much backlash. Instead, Bryan - the most popular guy in the company - and co. looked like jobbers. Alternatively, if they wanted to avoid a backlash and still wanted Reigns in the main event at Wrestlemania, they could easily have made Ambrose win the Rumble, and then Seth and Reigns want in too, because they're former Shield members. It'd be The Shield vs Lesnar in a fatal four way. A culmination in three years of booking and storytelling, with Reigns as the victor. Beat his two former teammates, and Brock Lesnar for the title. Nice champion ceremony, if you ask me.

There were about 2,000 ways WWE could have handled that Royal Rumble, made a fucking awesome battle royale, and still get what they want and they literally went with the worst option.

To show how clueless they are, Bryan Alverez of the Observer said that he asked his WWE source what they were expecting and the insider said,"they didn't expect it." WWE (Vince) is clueless.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:22:12 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1862 on: January 26, 2015, 11:45:40 PM »
Why won't the WWE do what the fans want and make Daniel Bryan their man? From an outsider perspective...he doesn't seem to fit the body type that I associate with WWE. He's smaller than Cena and the beard probably doesn't help his mainstream marketability.

I noticed he has nearly 2mil followers on twitter whereas Reigns has like 750k :leon

Himu

« Reply #1863 on: January 26, 2015, 11:47:27 PM »
Have Paul Heyman turn on Lesnar at Wrestlemania to help Reigns win. Then Paul acts as a manager for Reigns so he doesn't have to talk and he go back to being the silent badass, something he's great at. It's the only way to salvage his character. Problem is, they want him as the new top babyface. OOPS. Either Reigns turns heel, The Rock style, or fizzles as a babyface and his career never hits these heights again.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1864 on: January 26, 2015, 11:51:07 PM »
Why won't the WWE do what the fans want and make Daniel Bryan their man? From an outsider perspective...he doesn't seem to fit the body type that I associate with WWE. He's smaller than Cena and the beard probably doesn't help his mainstream marketability.

I noticed he has nearly 2mil followers on twitter whereas Reigns has like 750k :leon

Daniel Bryan represents the everyday person. That's a large part of his appeal. People can't relate to Reigns. Fans have latched onto more everyday people going as far Stone Cold Steve Austin. WWE wants big, tall muscleheads even if they're like Reigns and don't deserve the push.

Also, Bryan has tons of mainstream marketability.

They're using Daniel's chant:

He's gotten plenty of mainstream attention.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1865 on: January 26, 2015, 11:55:23 PM »
Phoenix:

IYKYK

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1866 on: January 27, 2015, 12:11:09 AM »
Roman did well in the one-on-one.
nat

dkdk

« Reply #1867 on: January 27, 2015, 12:38:03 AM »

they thought this was a good idea brehs.

Himu

« Reply #1868 on: January 27, 2015, 12:40:56 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

they thought this was a good idea brehs.

2000 ways to go about this and they did this :rofl

Make your 4 most popular guys look weak, brehs.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Pro Wrasslin' Thread - FIRST TIME RAW CANCELLED AFTER DISASTROUS PPV
« Reply #1869 on: January 27, 2015, 09:05:30 AM »

Perfect!  Maybe needs to be a little smaller?

:foxx

Hmm...about the same size.  OK, will use Rocky for 'what' and Redd can stay as 'foxx'.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1870 on: January 27, 2015, 09:13:10 AM »
So how will WWE be filling the time with the PPV inbetween the Rumble and 'Mania?
WWE has announced John Cena vs. Rusev for the Fast Lane pay-per-view.

This match was set up when Rusev interrupted Cena's interview time after the Royal Rumble on Sunday. Yep, it was that simple. Fast Lane takes place on February 22 in Memphis, Tennessee at the FedEx Forum.
WWE announced that Triple H has challenged Sting to a face-to-face confrontation at the Fast Lane pay-per-view.

Yes, with a match that was set up during the Network-only post-PPV fallout show and HHH and Sting 'talking'. 
:dead
ど助平

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1871 on: January 27, 2015, 09:16:13 AM »
that's a shame.  I love Rusev. :(
Tonya

Himu

IYKYK

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1873 on: January 27, 2015, 10:35:38 AM »
Just watched the Uppercats vs New Day from the preshow and that was fun
the championship 3 way was absolutely fucking nuts though.  Loved it.  If that were the main event, it would have been absolutely fine.  Shame about the rest of the show
Tonya

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #1874 on: January 27, 2015, 02:38:57 PM »

WWE just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about WWE culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in TNA where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Vince's company, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is putting Reigns over.

What this means is the pro wrestling public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase the WWE channel for any time frame, nor will they purchase any of the WWE's merchandise offerings. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but the WWE has alienated an entire market with this move.

WWE publicly apologize and cancel wrestlemania for the WWE channel or you can kiss your business goodbye.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:53:52 PM by Am_I_Anonymous »
YMMV

archie4208

« Reply #1875 on: January 27, 2015, 03:41:54 PM »
Network broke 1 million subs.

Twitter hashtags work again.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:fbm
[close]

Himu

« Reply #1876 on: January 27, 2015, 06:53:48 PM »
Don't forget the network went up in uk and Ireland recently
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1877 on: January 27, 2015, 07:26:52 PM »

(Image removed from quote.) :foxx

Hmm...about the same size.  OK, will use Rocky for 'what' and Redd can stay as 'foxx'.

...using a wrestler other than Stone Cold for a what smiley

yar

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1878 on: January 27, 2015, 07:29:03 PM »
Network broke 1 million subs.

Twitter hashtags work again.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:fbm
[close]
Those numbers are most likely as of 12/31. :P
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1879 on: January 27, 2015, 08:15:55 PM »

(Image removed from quote.) :foxx

...using a wrestler other than Stone Cold for a what smiley

I thought about that, but that Rock picture is perfect.  If someone finds an equally good Austin one, sure, let's use it!
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1880 on: January 27, 2015, 08:56:56 PM »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1881 on: January 27, 2015, 10:49:35 PM »
so according to meltzer they're getting rid of wrestlemania numbers and this is the first one to do so. next year's wrestlemania, instead of a play button, is going to have a star on it. fuck tradition and history and longevity apparently :rofl

Meltzer says verbatim,"Wrestlemania will no longer feature numbers because Vince thinks it makes the event sound too old."

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:58:53 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

dkdk

« Reply #1882 on: January 27, 2015, 11:25:52 PM »

god someone get vince senile ass out the paint.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1883 on: January 28, 2015, 12:16:48 AM »
I shoulda got tickets to 30 instead 31  :gloomy At least Bork will be at this one. And DBryan, even if he faces Sheamus or some other chump.

How does Vince think numbers sound old when he wanted to make a character based on a 1940's cartoon mouse?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1884 on: January 28, 2015, 08:14:02 AM »
so according to meltzer they're getting rid of wrestlemania numbers and this is the first one to do so. next year's wrestlemania, instead of a play button, is going to have a star on it. fuck tradition and history and longevity apparently :rofl

Meltzer says verbatim,"Wrestlemania will no longer feature numbers because Vince thinks it makes the event sound too old."

:what :what :what :what

ど助平

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1885 on: January 28, 2015, 08:20:56 AM »

god someone get vince senile ass out the paint.

YMMV

Himu

« Reply #1886 on: January 28, 2015, 12:38:19 PM »
I said I felt sorry for reigns. I no longer feel sorry for reigns. Dude is a total DICK. Cena has way more talent and FAR more respect for the biz than this guy.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/sam-roberts-wrestling-podcast/e/36776291?autoplay=true

"Fans have to realize that as opinionated as they are and the way you want it, the company is the same way and they are gonna do what they wanna do...hopefully, at the end of the day, I'm the one getting rich."
IYKYK

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1887 on: January 28, 2015, 12:51:56 PM »
Nobody is going to remember Reigns in 5 years. He's destined to have career that is determined by his mouthpiece and Bobby the Brain ain't coming out of that tunnel.
YMMV

Himu

« Reply #1888 on: January 28, 2015, 01:14:26 PM »
Unless he turns heel and acts like how he did in that interview. Natural heels tend to be dicks.
IYKYK

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1889 on: January 28, 2015, 01:15:41 PM »
Unless he turns heel and acts like how he did in that interview. Natural heels tend to be dicks.

even then he doesn't have the charisma to play the part. The only thing WWE fans want out of a silent heel is to see him get his ass whipped by (insert face here).
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1890 on: January 28, 2015, 02:20:23 PM »
Seth Rollins was a fine main event heel from what I saw at the Rumble- serviceable on the mic, talented enough in the ring. Keep using him in that spot.

Reigns is a classic case of a big muscle bound dummy getting a shot above his pay grade. Sometimes it works- just ask Batista. But he had enough charisma and did enough small things right to get fans interested in him. Reigns? Nope.
yar

Himu

« Reply #1891 on: January 28, 2015, 02:28:52 PM »
If it were up to me, Ambrose would be the new face of WWE.

But personally, there should never be "THE guy". You should have 5-10 wrestlers who are all interchangeable in the main event besides the two top guys.

If I were to choose the two to lead the WWE into the future, it'd be Ambrose and Rollins.
IYKYK

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1892 on: January 28, 2015, 02:31:23 PM »

But personally, there should never be "THE guy". You should have 5-10 wrestlers who are all interchangeable in the main event besides the two top guys.

If I were to choose the two to lead the WWE into the future, it'd be Ambrose and Rollins.

I think that's Vince's problem. He still follows the Hogan formula of their has to be one "the guy" when I think it's antiquated by this point.
YMMV

Himu

« Reply #1893 on: January 28, 2015, 02:32:58 PM »
But even then, you had Ultimate Warrior, Savage, Jake the Snake, Rick Rude, Andre The Giant, Mr. Perfect;etc.

In the Attitude Era, you had Stone Cold, HHH, The Rock, HBK, Jericho, Kurt Angle;etc and all were viable in the main event.

It wasn't until Cena was on top that suddenly it became THE guy.
IYKYK

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1894 on: January 28, 2015, 02:33:44 PM »
But even then, you had Ultimate Warrior, Savage, Jake the Snake, Rick Rude, Mr. Perfect;etc.

In the Attitude Era, you had Stone Cold, HHH, The Rock, HBK, Jericho, Kurt Angle;etc and all were viable in the main event.

Yup. And nobody would argue that the attitude era was what made vince a billionaire and the 80's was the best era of wrestling ever.

But it was all about Hogan....you always knew he was going to win eventually.

The best thing about Attitude is that everybody loved Austin so much he didn't require a title to draw crowds so everybody got a nice run during that era.
YMMV

Himu

« Reply #1895 on: January 28, 2015, 02:34:24 PM »
Could a lot of this be due to WWE now being a public company?
IYKYK

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1896 on: January 28, 2015, 02:35:05 PM »
Could a lot of this be due to WWE now being a public company?

Nah, I think it's purely Vince's nepotism at this point.
YMMV

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1897 on: January 28, 2015, 03:04:05 PM »
my photos from this weekend's CHIKARA PRO event went up

http://www.imposemagazine.com/photos/chikara-pro-presents-a-new-start#1

you will believe an ant can fly
Tonya

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1898 on: January 28, 2015, 05:03:58 PM »
But even then, you had Ultimate Warrior, Savage, Jake the Snake, Rick Rude, Andre The Giant, Mr. Perfect;etc.

It wasn't until Cena was on top that suddenly it became THE guy.

Nah.  You had Eddie Guerrero, Benoit, Edge, Batista, Orton, JBL, HHH, Jericho, HBK, Taker, and Angle still around after Cena became a main eventer.  It was really in the last four or so years that it became all Cena all the time.  Sure, there's been Punk, Sheamus, Del Rio, and Bryan, but the focus always ends up being Cena. 
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1899 on: January 28, 2015, 07:03:06 PM »
So it's vince's senility. Gotcha.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1900 on: January 28, 2015, 07:14:31 PM »
Great post highlighting wrestling alternatives to WWE:

http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/2tznbi/looking_for_an_alternative_heres_a_list_of_other/

For those who say that they don't have the time: I don't watch RAW or Smackdown. Raw is three hours, SD is two. That's five hours already. Compared to one hour a week for NXT, one hour a week for the NJPW English axs show. Following NJPW in particular is the easiest because they don't have a weekly show (which is smart) and just have one to two events a month (again, smart). Lucha Underground is an hour as well. ROH tv is 50 minutes long. Combined, on a weekly basis, depending on what you can or can't watch due to channel listing availability or whatever, that's three to four hours of wrestling a week, which is far less than WWE's 8-9ish. Hell that three hours probability is the same length of Raw, and better too.

If you find watching RAW a waste of time but still watch it, you could just watch three alternative wrestling shows a week and that time will be as long as one Raw episode. If you are tired of WWE there's kind of no excuse at this point. There are so many alternatives that are readily available.

Personally, it feels good to not question "why the fuck are they doing this?" And just being able to enjoy wrestling again.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1901 on: January 28, 2015, 09:29:24 PM »

God I wish. Ambrose is easily my favorite dude on Raw right now.

If only WWE went with my fantasy booking of Ambrose winning the Rumble. Then he could just go extra crazy talking about how he's not scared of Brock and maybe even change their match to be No DQ, Falls Count Anywhere. Then he could just go ham and hit Brock with a car or something to win.

Once he wins the belt, he can restart his feud with Rollins since he knows Seth will have to fight him if he wants to cash in MITB. In the meantime he can just treat the belt like shit and not care about it. Drag it on the ground, toss it to the ref behind his back, maybe even have a video of him trying to pawn it the night after Wrestlemania...whatever it takes to get heat with the Authority and build up how much they want Rollins to take it from him.

But instead we got Reigns. :what

EDIT: I should clarify I don't hate Reigns as a wrestler. I just don't think he's ready for the big time yet, not by himself. He could definitely be a top dude in a year or two. He just needs time to develop and learn how to operate as a singles dude.

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #1902 on: January 28, 2015, 09:43:13 PM »
We need that look of Vince's when Austin pours cement into his car as an emoticon.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1903 on: January 29, 2015, 09:24:07 AM »
We need that look of Vince's when Austin pours cement into his car as an emoticon.

What time in the video?  There's a few good ones in there.
ど助平

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #1904 on: January 29, 2015, 02:46:03 PM »

What time in the video?  There's a few good ones in there.
The one with Vince's eyes about to pop out of their sockets is the best one. :rofl

Himu

« Reply #1905 on: January 29, 2015, 05:52:45 PM »

:gladbron

I checked it this morning and I HAVE IT. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :hyper

ERIC, THEY HAVE A KUNG FU MOVIE BLOCK ON THURSDAYS. They're showing Opium and the Kung Fu Master right now. Come Drink With Me (:hyper) comes on next, and then Golden Swallow. :lawd
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1906 on: January 29, 2015, 06:00:06 PM »

God I wish. Ambrose is easily my favorite dude on Raw right now.

If only WWE went with my fantasy booking of Ambrose winning the Rumble. Then he could just go extra crazy talking about how he's not scared of Brock and maybe even change their match to be No DQ, Falls Count Anywhere. Then he could just go ham and hit Brock with a car or something to win.

Once he wins the belt, he can restart his feud with Rollins since he knows Seth will have to fight him if he wants to cash in MITB. In the meantime he can just treat the belt like shit and not care about it. Drag it on the ground, toss it to the ref behind his back, maybe even have a video of him trying to pawn it the night after Wrestlemania...whatever it takes to get heat with the Authority and build up how much they want Rollins to take it from him.

But instead we got Reigns. :what

EDIT: I should clarify I don't hate Reigns as a wrestler. I just don't think he's ready for the big time yet, not by himself. He could definitely be a top dude in a year or two. He just needs time to develop and learn how to operate as a singles dude.

Aside from Rollins, I think Ambrose is the complete package in the WWE. I love Daniel Bryan, but I agree in that he's not a face of the product guy. I think he's a really good number 3. I think Ambrose and Rollins bring grit and seriousness to WWE, but they're putting Ambrose as a comedy character and not an anti-establishment character. Ambrose is a better anti-establishment character than Bryan.

Ambrose has it all. He could expand his ring skills, but aside from that I think he's ready for the main event. Rollins too.

Rollins has improved GREATLY on the mic.

These two guys, are just glowing with IT.

The funny thing about Ambrose winning the Rumble is that it please the fans, but also allows WWE to get what they want. With Ambrose winning, they could tie in The Shield with the storyline, and make it The Shield vs Brock Lesnar in a fatal fourway. Roman wins the belt, Lesnar leaves, Seth and Dean finish their feud. Common sense. :yeshrug
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:12:35 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1907 on: January 29, 2015, 07:05:40 PM »

I checked it this morning and I HAVE IT. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :hyper

ERIC, THEY HAVE A KUNG FU MOVIE BLOCK ON THURSDAYS. They're showing Opium and the Kung Fu Master right now. Come Drink With Me (:hyper) comes on next, and then Golden Swallow. :lawd

Opium and the Kung Fu Master is one of the few times i think that drug message movies do it right.  Plus, lots of people get kicked in the face
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1908 on: January 29, 2015, 07:11:59 PM »

Opium and the Kung Fu Master is one of the few times i think that drug message movies do it right.  Plus, lots of people get kicked in the face
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1909 on: January 29, 2015, 07:17:38 PM »

Tonya

Himu

« Reply #1910 on: January 29, 2015, 07:26:21 PM »
So what you're saying is if WWE didn't fuck up, we'd be having Ambrose, Rollins, Punk, Bryan and Ziggler in the main event scene? Man, that would have been great.

We still have Ambrose, Rollins, Bryan, Wyatt, Balor, Owens, Neville (hopefully), and Zayn (hopefully).
IYKYK

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1911 on: January 29, 2015, 08:11:17 PM »
https://twitter.com/minorusan01/status/560910545474166784

NJPW may have purchased part of NOAH

oh god that tape library if true

oh nevermind, they're just working together which explains all the NOAH people at WK9.

Either way, this is good news for both, i think
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 08:16:44 PM by Eric P »
Tonya

Himu

« Reply #1912 on: January 29, 2015, 09:21:52 PM »
NOAH is kind of like...a secondary thing with NJPW. They have a lot of foreigners working their shows these days, and can't possibly fit them all. They have a partnership with NOAH.

@Wrath - I think may be retiring soon. That may explain why they're fast tracking Reigns.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1913 on: January 29, 2015, 10:50:18 PM »
Cena can at least talk, he's always been good at that. Reigns is worse in the ring than Cena and also can't talk too well, at least not yet.

I actually enjoy Cena on the mic cause when he's good he's really good. And his in-ring stuff is fine just not really impressive. Reigns is just too green right now. I feel like he could develop into a really good dude but he just needs more practice and a tag team partner.

Make him turn heel and partner back up with Seth Rollins and put them in a program with Ambrose and Orton! Ex-Shield vs Angry Crazy Dudes!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:10:17 PM by nachobro »

Himu

« Reply #1914 on: January 29, 2015, 11:13:50 PM »
From what I've seen Cena deserved his spot. Man can wrestle AND talk. Reigns can do neither.

Plus, it's weird because the top guys are ALWAYS different from the last guy.

Bret Hart and HBK are nothing like Hogan and Savage and Warrior. None of THOSE guys are like Austin or Rock. Cena and Orton aren't anywhere similar to the last two. Yet they expect fans to swallow Reigns, who is being billed as Cena 2.0? :what Reigns was far more popular when he was the silent badass who GOT SHIT DONE.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1915 on: January 29, 2015, 11:19:34 PM »
Cena was good on the mic, and his early matches were actually QUITE good before he got roped into doing the same 3 moves over and over, and pulling the dumb fucking superman routine every match.  I don't like Cena, but I also don't blame him for getting over the way he did. He's basically done everything the company ever asked of him and done it well.
yar

Himu

« Reply #1916 on: January 29, 2015, 11:23:54 PM »
How low down the card will they put Devitt? :hitler

Vince will see this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2cdgrr_finn-balor-r-evolution-entrance_sport

and go  "damn millenials!"
IYKYK

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1917 on: January 30, 2015, 12:45:28 AM »
Devitt is gonna be a superstar.

Kenta will not.
nat

Himu

« Reply #1918 on: January 30, 2015, 01:45:08 AM »
Kenta has what it takes but he seems to be finding his groove imo

Too early to tell, though being Asian won't help.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1919 on: January 30, 2015, 01:54:31 PM »
Devitt is gonna be a superstar.

Kenta will not.

I agree.  KENTA will end up going back to Japan.  I don't know what it is about Japanese wrestlers and WWE, but they never get over.  Last time they tried was with Kenzo Sukuzi and Hiroko in like 2004.
ど助平