Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1520700 times)

Beezy

Re: NBA 2K11 Thread
« Reply #840 on: January 05, 2011, 01:48:02 PM »
Okay. Also, did Amare get this many blocks on the Suns? His defense is still ass, but I guess that's something.

The Knicks are a fun team to watch. And while I don't really think the Knicks will do much damage in the playoffs if they don't get another superstar in there, they've been bad for so long, I think most people are just happy to see a hardworking team there.
exactly

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #841 on: January 05, 2011, 01:51:38 PM »
Okay. Also, did Amare get this many blocks on the Suns? His defense is still ass, but I guess that's something.

Career high average in blocks. 5th in the league in blocks. So while his positional defense still isn't great, that is something that he's getting a lot more blocks.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #842 on: January 05, 2011, 11:39:20 PM »
Memphis Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins has banned gambling on team flights following a fight between two teammates over a debt from a card game.

The ban, which takes effect immediately, follows a confrontation between guards O.J. Mayo and Tony Allen during a team flight on Monday.

The team's first gambling-free excursion will begin on Friday, when the Grizzlies fly to Oklahoma City on a three-game road trip after hosting the Jazz in Memphis.

Last season, several NBA teams banned gambling on flights after a disagreement over a card game debt between then-Washington Wizards teammates Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton led to an incident in which both men brandished guns in the team's locker room.

Yahoo! Sports first reported that according to unidentified sources, Mayo owed Allen money following the game on Monday and became increasingly angry toward Allen when asked to settle the debt. Several players eventually had to separate the teammates.

Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace acknowledged the altercation in an e-mailed statement but provided no details about what caused the skirmish. He said: "The club considers the matter closed and will not comment further."

Allen had 19 points in the Grizzlies' 110-105 victory over Oklahoma City on Tuesday night. Mayo missed Tuesday's game with bronchitis.

:rofl

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #843 on: January 06, 2011, 01:47:56 AM »
If I owed Tony Allen money, and I was on a plane, I'd either pay up or jump out.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #844 on: January 07, 2011, 08:41:10 PM »
Legal filings show frustration of Clipper GMs
January, 6, 2011

By J.A. Adande

There’s only one consistent theme that emerges from the latest filings obtained by ESPN.com in Elgin Baylor’s wrongful termination lawsuit against the Clippers: getting owner Donald Sterling to spend money on players is a daunting prospect.

Declarations from Baylor, the Clippers’ former general manager, and Mike Dunleavy, the coach who took over Baylor’s general manager duties before Dunleavy lost both jobs, were included in Baylor’s response to the Clippers’ motions for summary judgment. The Clippers' legal action, filed in November, had essentially asked the court to dismiss Baylor’s suit in which he claims he was fired on the basis of age and race.

Clipper legal counsel Robert Platt stated through the team that he would withhold comment until reviewing the documents himself.

Dunleavy said that Sterling "always told me to give him a great player and he’d pay for him, but there were several players I wanted to sign and we didn’t because Sterling refused to spend the money. The Clippers' biggest concern was making a profit."

Baylor took it a step further, adding a racial component.

"Because of the Clippers unwillingness to fairly compensate African-American players we lost a lot of good talent, including Danny Manning, Charles Smith, Michael Cage, Ron Harper, Dominique Wilkins, [Corey] Maggette and others," Baylor said.

Baylor, who describes himself as "an African-American male over the age of 40" in the declaration (the NBA Register lists his date of birth as Sept. 16, 1934), said that Sterling and Clippers president Andy Roeser made references to his age for the last 10 years of his employment and questioned his ability to still do his job.

Dunleavy referenced similar comments about Baylor’s age from the Clippers’ upper management, but Dunleavy stated, "The entire time that I worked for the Clippers, I never saw any change in Elgin’s ability to perform his duties, or that his age had any adverse impact on the performance of his duties and responsibilities as general manager."

Dunleavy said that during a team trip to Russia in 2006, Clippers officials were dining at a restaurant called Rasputin when Platt, the Clippers' attorney, told him that the Clippers thought Baylor was too old and they were going to fire him. While the Clippers told Dunleavy that Baylor only wanted to work for two more years, Dunleavy said he never heard that from Baylor, and Baylor said in his statement that he never told anyone that he wanted to retire.

Meanwhile, Dunleavy participated in the diminishing of Baylor’s power, as Dunleavy took over trade talks and draft selections, while Roeser negotiated contracts. Baylor said it reached the point that he learned of team transactions through media reports.

Dunleavy said he wanted to make Baylor aware of his increased role, but he never did so directly. Dunleavy said he tried to bring it up in a meeting with Sterling, Roeser and Baylor, but was cut off by Sterling.

Dunleavy said that "I always tried to keep Elgin in the loop and let him know what I was doing", but Baylor said he was caught off guard when Neil Olshey (whom Baylor described as "a protégé of Mike Dunleavy") was named the new director of player personnel instead of Baylor’s choice, Gary Sachs.

"There were other instances where Dunleavy negotiated deals that I learned about through the media," Baylor said.

Olshey took over the general manager job from Dunleavy last season, after Dunleavy had already been relieved of his coaching duties.

Baylor, who worked for the Clippers as an executive from 1986 to 2008, said he received only one raise in his final 16 years. He was most upset that after the team reached the second round of the playoffs in 2006 he did not receive a pay raise, while Dunleavy received a contract extension and Roeser was promoted.

Then there was this non-sequitur paragraph:

"While ignoring my suggestions and isolating me from decisions customarily reserved for general managers, the Clippers attempted to place the blame for the team’s failures on me," Baylor said in the declaration. "During this same period, players Sam Cassell, Elton Brand and Corey Maggette complained to me that DONALD STERLING would bring women into the locker room after games, while the players were showering, and make comments such as, 'Look at those beautiful black bodies.' I brought this to Sterling’s attention, but he continued to bring women into the locker room."

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/23649/legal-filings-show-frustration-of-clipper-gms

:lol

Dude is unreal.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #845 on: January 07, 2011, 08:43:36 PM »
I didn't know Smooth Groove was Donald Sterling

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #846 on: January 07, 2011, 11:12:23 PM »
As much as I'd love to see Sterling pushed out of Clippers ownership, most of the stuff cited in that lawsuit can be chalked up to 1) general cheapness and bad management practices by Sterling, and 2) Elgin Baylor being a legitimately bad GM for most of his tenure.

Still, that bit about women in the locker room is super creepy, and he did have to settle a housing discrimination suit.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #847 on: January 09, 2011, 05:51:45 PM »
Sources: Nets, Nuggets 'further along'

By Chris Broussard and Marc Stein

The New Jersey Nets' attempts to acquire Denver's Carmelo Anthony are "further along" than any trade scenario that has been discussed since their near-acquisition of Anthony in late September, according to sources close to the negotiations.

A three-team deal involving the Detroit Pistons that would include at least 15 players -- with Rip Hamilton and Chauncey Billups winding up in New Jersey with Anthony -- could be completed as soon as this week, sources said.

The primary elements of the scenario currently on the table, sources said, call for New Jersey to acquire Anthony, Billups and Hamilton; Denver to land Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, Anthony Morrow and at least two first-round picks; and Detroit to acquire Troy Murphy and Johan Petro.

Other players with smaller contracts would have to be included to make the salary-cap math work.

One key to the advancing nature of negotiations, sources said, is the Nets' and Nuggets' willingness to complete a trade without asking Detroit to surrender a first-round pick.

When the talks involving Detroit as a potential third-team facilitator were first reported Friday night by the Bergen Record of New Jersey, sources told ESPN.com that the Pistons were balking largely because they were being asked to surrender a first-rounder.

Yet sources said one of the remaining potential snags is New Jersey's insistence that the Pistons absorb the contract of Petro.

The Pistons do not want to take back Petro, even though shedding Hamilton's contract in exchange for Murphy and the Nets' center would represent an overall savings of roughly $17 million.

Sources say Detroit's stance on Petro has prompted New Jersey to begin looking for a fourth team that might be willing to take on the 24-year-old big man.

The Nets turned to Detroit to help seal their months-long pursuit of Anthony after attempts to rope in Cleveland, Minnesota and Portland as a third-team facilitator failed to progress.

Any trade for Anthony, however, still hinges on the All-Star forward's willingness to sign a three-year, $65 million extension with the Nets as part of the transaction in what is known as an extend-and-trade. The Boston Celtics got the same extend-and-trade commitment from Kevin Garnett when they acquired him from Minnesota in July 2007.

The Nets have made it clear that they will not agree to an Anthony deal without getting his signature on an extension a la Garnett. ESPN.com reported last month that the Nets plan to request permission -- and have already been told they will receive it -- to meet with Anthony face-to-face if a trade agreement is eventually struck with Denver. That would allow owner Mikhail Prokhorov and part-owner Jay-Z to lead a Nets contingent that would try to lobby the Brooklyn-born Anthony directly on the team's future, with the Nets planning to move to Brooklyn in time for the 2012-13 season.

The Nets long ago committed to send prized rookie Favors, former All-Star Harris and at least two first-round picks to the Nuggets in exchange for Anthony.

But New Jersey has been attempting to find a third team to help facilitate the blockbuster deal for Anthony that they've been chasing since the September collapse of a four-team swap involving Charlotte and Utah.

One source close to the situation insisted Sunday that the Nets -- optimistic as this sounds -- believe a face-to-face meeting with Prokhorov won't even be necessary to get Anthony's signoff if New Jersey can indeed acquire Billups and Hamilton. It was not immediately clear, though, how Denver native Billups' reported desire to seek a buyout if he's traded by his hometown team to the Nets would affect Anthony's stance.

What did seem clear Sunday is that the talks have taken on their most serious tone since the negotiations in February that would have landed Harris in Charlotte and Jazz veteran Andrei Kirilenko in Denver.

The New York Knicks remain Anthony's strongly preferred destination, sources say, but Denver has shown little interest in the Knicks' assets (such as Wilson Chandler, Landry Fields and Danilo Gallinari) and have been negotiating almost exclusively with the Nets for weeks.

With Favors and a cache of first-round picks it can move, New Jersey has a far more attractive war chest of trade assets. It likewise appears the Nets will not abandon their pursuit of Anthony until they're told directly by the All-Star forward that he would not sign an extension with them, which is the message some sources close to the process still believe New Jersey will get, as reported in December by ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan.

Nets officials, though, have remained quietly confident for months that Anthony, born in Brooklyn, ultimately would agree to the extension -- no matter how much he'd prefer to play in New York -- to ensure that he locks in his contract before labor negotiations this summer that are expected to establish a much more restrictive financial landscape in the league.

One source close to the talks said Sunday afternoon that the deal could be clinched if the Nets can find a fourth team willing to absorb Petro's salary. Detroit has been restricted in its attempts to make roster moves in recent months because of the team's pending sale, but sources told ESPN.com on Friday that the Pistons would be very interested if a trade scenario developed where they only had to surrender Hamilton and take back Murphy.

The Nets and Nuggets, meanwhile, have not stopped looking for other teams beyond Detroit that would be interested in joining the trade, since Denver does not have a strong need for Harris with young guard Ty Lawson on the roster. New Jersey and Denver have likewise continued to discuss trade possibilities with the Nuggets that don't involve any other teams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6005596

Beezy

« Reply #848 on: January 09, 2011, 06:07:40 PM »
Nets! :maf

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #849 on: January 09, 2011, 06:36:49 PM »
Don't worry, Beezy.  Melo is just a 2nd tier superstar who won't lead any mid-level team to a championship.  Personally, I don't get the hoopla over where he's going since it's almost a given that he's not going to a top 8 contender. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #850 on: January 09, 2011, 10:10:52 PM »
Don't worry, Beezy.  Melo is just a 2nd tier superstar who won't lead any mid-level team to a championship.  Personally, I don't get the hoopla over where he's going since it's almost a given that he's not going to a top 8 contender. 

smh

Smooth Groove

« Reply #851 on: January 09, 2011, 10:15:20 PM »
Melo's PER in the playoffs the last 3 years is about 23 and his defense is still subpar most of the time.  2nd-tier might be even an overestimation of his talent. 

Keep in mind I'm talking about "Superstars" not just All-Stars. 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #852 on: January 10, 2011, 12:44:55 AM »
The heat won tonight against portland in OT and lebron and wade combined for 78 points. Add in Bosh and they scored 96 of Miami's 107 points. The big three took 65 of the total 79 shots for the team.  They all played over 40 minutes.

It's so weird to see a team that is truly only three players. Has to be some concern this will wear them out by the time the playoffs get here I would think. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #853 on: January 10, 2011, 01:28:31 AM »
vs what? Carrying teams all by their lonesome? They'll be fine.
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #854 on: January 10, 2011, 02:09:59 AM »
Teams rely on two or three players to carry the offense all the time.  Jordan's Bulls, the Shaq/Kobe Lakers, the Shaq/Wade Heat, the Duncan/Parker/Ginobili Spurs, etc.

It seems less common for teams to make the finals by spreading it around like the Pistons and Mavericks did recently.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #855 on: January 10, 2011, 03:58:55 AM »
LeBron is out-and-out playing the heel now, great stuff. Kobe must love him for it.
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #856 on: January 10, 2011, 04:02:02 AM »
This just means that when the Heat win their inevitable title (maybe not this year), I'll have to keep hearing about how LeBron's body language showed that he developed a "killer instinct" and an "edge" that finally let him break through to the championship level.

Rather than, you know, trading Boobie Gibson for Dwyane Wade.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #857 on: January 10, 2011, 04:05:30 AM »
Yeah well, announcers have 3hrs a night to fill with bullshit, just don't let it annoy you too much ;)

Being in Japan isolates me nicely from sports radio and most of the rest of sports media, I guess. If I can shut out the announcers, I'm good. So what else was worth watching today? All I saw was Miami-Portland. No idea about the rest of the results.
vjj

Bacchus7

« Reply #858 on: January 10, 2011, 04:12:24 AM »
It is so fucking frustrating being a Portland fan, jesus fuck. Seven point lead with 2:13 to go in the 4th, where is the fucking composure? Whatever, let's land our 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs and lose to the Spurs/Mavs/Lakers in 6. I'm cool with it. At least Lamarcus Aldridge has figured out that he has beast potential over the course of his last ten-fifteen games, and Matthews is developing his game nicely.
DTF

Bacchus7

« Reply #859 on: January 10, 2011, 04:14:16 AM »
Double posting 'cause I'm also pissed that this is the first time I've actually clicked on this thread, since the whole time I assumed it was about a video game. Yeah, I know there are video game forums, yada yada, but it's the bore, so I thought it might've just been let slid.
DTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #860 on: January 10, 2011, 04:38:50 AM »
Composure? You were beat by a team with far superior talent that just turned up the screws defensively and is unstoppable on the offensive end. A 7pt lead is nothing against the Heat. Portland could be as composed like Beethoven's 5th and still not have a chance.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #861 on: January 10, 2011, 11:08:07 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Smooth Groove

« Reply #862 on: January 10, 2011, 11:11:30 PM »
That's sick.  His knee was at the face level of the Knick who's several inches taller. 

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #863 on: January 10, 2011, 11:44:33 PM »
Eh, that's nothing. I think I saw Blake Griffin's whole body go through the rim last week on SportsCenter. Did a triple somersault with such perfect execution that the net didn't even move.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #864 on: January 11, 2011, 02:48:09 AM »
The Heat now have the best win percentage and the #1 seed right now in the eastern conference.

Just saying.

Orlando has quietly strung 9 in a row together with their new squad.

And Cleveland is officially the worst team in the league according to their win percentage.  If they continue at the current pace they will finish with a record of 18-64. Last year they went 61-21 just to make that comparison.

Where's the Dan Gilbert smack talk now?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:57:12 AM by Stoney Mason »

Beezy

« Reply #865 on: January 11, 2011, 03:54:38 AM »
That's sick.  His knee was at the face level of the Knick who's several inches taller. 
Piston, not Knick.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #866 on: January 11, 2011, 03:57:00 AM »
Blake Griffin once ran into the shot clock while dunking.  He was out for the rest of the game with a stubbed toe.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #867 on: January 11, 2011, 04:28:33 AM »
seems like half the "omgwtfbbq" plays I've seen this year feature someone posterizing the Pistons or Knicks lol

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #868 on: January 11, 2011, 06:08:00 AM »
Celtics lost a couple of winnable home games in a row for no real reason that I can see. Great opportunity for the Heat to pull ahead a bit. The regular season is gonna be fun as hell down the stretch because all the top teams will still be playing their asses off every night. There will be no relaxing this year, in either conference. I love it.
vjj

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #869 on: January 11, 2011, 11:38:48 PM »
Why is the halftime score of LAL-CLE 57 to 25?

And Kobe only has 2 points.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #870 on: January 12, 2011, 12:21:16 AM »
Kobe was trying to prove that Cavs aren't that much worse off without Lebron but that plan obviously backfired. 

Seriously though, there should be a NBDL relegation rule for teams that lose by 50 pts in the slow pace of the modern NBA. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #871 on: January 12, 2011, 01:24:49 AM »
Well, the Cavs just lost Varejao to injury, so they have exactly no serviceable big men right now (Hickson :lol). I have no interest in watching the game but i'm pretty sure Pau, Bynum and Odom are just feasting on their front line.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #872 on: January 12, 2011, 01:27:39 AM »
Lebron on twitter, ""Crazy. Karma is a b****.. Gets you every time. Its not good to wish bad on anybody. God sees everything!"

:lol

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #873 on: January 12, 2011, 01:56:47 AM »
love the LeBron heel turn. Next he should erect a giant poster of himself getting blown by Gilbert's wife in downtown Miami or something
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #874 on: January 12, 2011, 02:15:37 AM »
Mo Williams tweet:

This shit is embarrassing. I feel like I can't even show my face in Cleve

:lol :lol :lol :lol

This would be a fun time to revisit Mo's push for an All-Star berth, on LeBron's coattails :lol
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #875 on: January 12, 2011, 12:41:10 PM »
LeBron is an ass but I like him now more than I did a few years ago. The Gilbert blowup was more pathetic than The Decision imo. They'll be in the dumpster for years

etiolate

« Reply #876 on: January 12, 2011, 05:05:58 PM »
Did Lebron just admit God knows he's a spoiled douche?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #877 on: January 12, 2011, 05:09:14 PM »
Lebron James.

:bow2

I love him more this season than before.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #878 on: January 12, 2011, 08:08:34 PM »
LeBron vs Blake Griffin on the cards today  :hyper

vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #879 on: January 12, 2011, 08:16:32 PM »
LeBron is an ass but I like him now more than I did a few years ago. The Gilbert blowup was more pathetic than The Decision imo. They'll be in the dumpster for years

That's cuz most of the "class acts" in sports are just phonies who keep quiet so that people don't find out their true characters.  It's still hilarious how Americans are still constantly shocked when they discovered those formerly classy athletes are pervs or cheaters. 

The media is just pissed at Lebron for not following along and spouting all the cliches that they love to hear. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #880 on: January 12, 2011, 08:20:59 PM »
LeBron has never really been a "selfish" player. Sure dude is clearly an ass, but I've never gotten the impression that he treats teammates/opponents like shit, ala Jordan and Kobe :teehee

Can't wait for the complete media 360 when LeBron gets his ring.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #881 on: January 12, 2011, 08:21:18 PM »
That's what makes twitter so much fun, although it is hardly what I'd call unfiltered. It at least gives occasional glimpses into the smack talk that you KNOW has to be going on on the court.

The odds seem very high that Chris Bosh or LeBron is gonna get posterized tonight, should be fun!
vjj

OptimoPeach

« Reply #882 on: January 12, 2011, 08:34:30 PM »

That's cuz most of the "class acts" in sports are just phonies who keep quiet so that people don't find out their true characters.  It's still hilarious how Americans are still constantly shocked when they discovered those formerly classy athletes are pervs or cheaters. 

The media is just pissed at Lebron for not following along and spouting all the cliches that they love to hear. 
+1

I've been quietly hoping he gets a ring every season for like four seasons now. Between the internet backlash and the butthurt from all the blowhard sports pundits in the media, there would probably be enough schadenfreude to last until their next championship

I didn't watch that Cavs game, but I read that the Lakers could have gone scoreless in the second half and still would have made it to overtime :rofl
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:36:17 PM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

etiolate

« Reply #883 on: January 12, 2011, 09:26:44 PM »
I haven't found the sports pundits to be butthurt that Lebron came out as an ass. Since talking about him is the push then they'll just accept his ego and go along with the whole agenda of their employer. Same old parroting.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #884 on: January 12, 2011, 09:29:30 PM »
Even if LeBron had stayed in Cleveland, the sports media would all be talking about him anyway. He's the pre-eminent player right now, and has drawn more media attention than anyone except possibly Kobe since his rookie year. The Decision is just the latest chapter.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #885 on: January 12, 2011, 11:21:31 PM »
Clips are giving heat a lot of problems. May be the end of that road streak tonight.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #886 on: January 12, 2011, 11:23:05 PM »
Could be - the Clips look a hell of a lot better than they did earlier in the season, since Baron seems to be giving a crap and have played himself into shape - but the Heat typically run away with it on in the 3rd and 4th, after the other guys are tired/in foul trouble. Good game so far, highlights a plenty!
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #887 on: January 12, 2011, 11:36:23 PM »
Damn, that 1st quarter was really exciting.  Maybe I should have pestered my dad's friend for some box seats.  He used to invite me to big games like this but I've been too lazy to drive out to Staples this whole season. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #888 on: January 12, 2011, 11:43:59 PM »
Yeah, that reminds me of the Odom-Brand-Maggette-D-Miles Clippers actually. Just a crazy dunkathon.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #889 on: January 13, 2011, 06:30:18 PM »
http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/01/13/a-beautiful-play-by-gregg-popovich-puts-the-game-away/

Just amazing how this gets the whole Bucks team tied up in a knot, with Parker and Duncan wide open. Brilliant play.

[youtube=560,345]RJO5MVOFI-8&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #890 on: January 13, 2011, 09:50:55 PM »
Details of Allen vs. Mayo fight emerge

JAN 13

By Chris Broussard

Sources have brought me up to speed on the details of Allen/Mayo I, and judging by the fruit of this fight -- a black eye for O.J. Mayo and a fine for Tony Allen -- there will not be a rematch.

I'm told the two Memphis Grizzlies players, who are actually friends, scuffled over a debt of $7,500 that Mayo owed to Allen after losing in the card game Bourre.

Allen, regarded as one of the toughest guys in the league, tried to avoid a confrontation, but Mayo trash-talked Allen for roughly 15 minutes, criticizing his game, bragging about how he was a better basketball player than Allen, about how he was a lottery pick.

Allen was especially bothered by Mayo's chatter because they have a friendly relationship. Zach Randolph tried to play peacemaker, telling Mayo to stop ribbing Allen, but to no avail.

Finally, Allen had enough and struck Mayo in the face. He then landed a succession of blows to Mayo's eye, mouth, shoulder and the side of his head. Mayo was able to get off a swing, but Allen ducked to avoid it and then clocked Mayo once more for good measure.

As Apollo Creed said to the young upstart Rocky Balboa, "Ain't gonna' be no rematch.''

Stoney Mason

« Reply #891 on: January 14, 2011, 01:02:01 AM »
Lebron out hurt tonight. Miami drops two in a row.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #892 on: January 14, 2011, 01:29:38 AM »
Karma is a b**** I guess
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #893 on: January 15, 2011, 03:35:40 AM »
Man, watching Blake Griffin play is kinda terrifying :lol

He's must-see TV though. Derrick Rose and Rondo are the only ones who can match him for sheer entertainment value, albeit in different ways. Griffin tries about 4 or 5 plays a game that don't come off but even those build up the excitement to crazy levels. And when it comes together, holy shit.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #894 on: January 17, 2011, 01:06:10 AM »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #895 on: January 17, 2011, 01:08:46 AM »
Blake didn't do a thing wrong there, but he is feisty for sure. Did you see him get into it with Chalmers the other night? He was out for blood on the next play after they got double techs. I think he's gonna turn into one of those guys that you have to be careful not to piss off, because he'll just decide to single-handedly beat you if you do.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #896 on: January 17, 2011, 01:53:26 AM »
Blake is a beast.  Lakers were focused on stopping him and they did in the first half but those young legs eventually were just too much for the Lakers' frontline.  Gasol looked so small guarding Blake even though he's a couple of inches taller. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #897 on: January 17, 2011, 02:18:34 AM »
Right. He's just always looking for the ball, with bad intentions on his mind. The energy level is just nuts - his replica jersey should come pre-soaked with sweat so the fans recognize it. Fucking amazing to watch.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #898 on: January 17, 2011, 02:32:57 PM »
Blake is a beast.  Lakers were focused on stopping him and they did in the first half but those young legs eventually were just too much for the Lakers' frontline.  Gasol looked so small guarding Blake even though he's a couple of inches taller. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #899 on: January 17, 2011, 07:02:12 PM »
Jeez, every team in the league is playing today I guess. No MLK holiday for me over here but i'm gonna try to watch 3 or 4 games on League Pass while I work. I have Clips - Pacers on now, then Magic - Celtics next. Probably Thunder - Lakers after that but maybe Knicks - Suns or Hawks - Heat. Any tips on the other games? Any close/fun ones so far?
vjj