Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1520683 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: NBA 2K11 Thread Era of the Superteam (Melo+Amare)
« Reply #1200 on: February 23, 2011, 11:06:58 AM »
Deron Williams traded to the Nets?! Whoa

from Twitter -
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Utah has agreed to trade All-Star point guard Deron Williams to Nets in multi-player package, Yahoo! Sports has learned. Deal is done.
vjj

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1201 on: February 23, 2011, 11:25:17 AM »
Once again, all I'm hearing is: Dolan loses, Williams > Anthony, lol Knicks

Please explain again, Mandark. Your response to the article I posted was enlightening. :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:27:24 AM by CajoleJuice »
AMC

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1202 on: February 23, 2011, 11:48:04 AM »
poor Cohen  :'(

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1203 on: February 23, 2011, 02:22:31 PM »
Wow.  If he signs an extension, great deal for the Nets.  If he doesn't, very bad deal for the Nets.

Likewise, it makes it seem like NY could have landed Williams this year and still made a run at Carmelo in the offseason.  Hollinger's take on the Melo trade was pretty scathing, since he seemed sure that he never intended to go anywhere else and everyone involved was bluffing to extract as much as possible from the Knicks.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1204 on: February 23, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »
Sigh. :(
AMC

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1205 on: February 23, 2011, 07:37:29 PM »
Knicks versus Bucks tonight. On now actually. I guess Carmelo is playing. Should be interesting.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 07:41:29 PM by Stoney Mason »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1206 on: February 23, 2011, 07:59:19 PM »
Wow.  If he signs an extension, great deal for the Nets.  If he doesn't, very bad deal for the Nets.

Likewise, it makes it seem like NY could have landed Williams this year and still made a run at Carmelo in the offseason.  Hollinger's take on the Melo trade was pretty scathing, since he seemed sure that he never intended to go anywhere else and everyone involved was bluffing to extract as much as possible from the Knicks.

Maybe so, with hindsight. I mean, now it seems like LeBron could only ever have gone to Miami and everyone else was wasting their time. But the other teams who tried to get LeBron still did the right thing, IMHO, even if they swung and missed.

For the Knicks, Dwight Howard and Chris Paul are still in play, not to mention Nash. The Knicks gave up more than they needed to, but they still got the best player in the deal by a long way. I still think they have to do that trade, although it's still the case that Dolan needs to sit down and STFU.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1207 on: February 23, 2011, 08:05:55 PM »
Hollinger's take on Deron Williams (it's Insider so don't want to paste here - would spoiler tags hide it...?)

http://forums.hipinion.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19724&start=5250
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1208 on: February 23, 2011, 08:30:58 PM »
but you scored a huge moral victory. Sloan gets sweet revenge from the grave.

Also, the unprotected pick from the Nets next year should be pretty high. Favors has been bad from what I've seen though :(
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1209 on: February 23, 2011, 08:34:12 PM »
Is Favors the guy who got demoted to d-league a few months ago?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1210 on: February 23, 2011, 08:35:53 PM »
no.

He's got skills, just displays the usual rookie big man cluelessness. Foul trouble etc. He might get better or he might always be this way, it's tough to tell right now.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1211 on: February 23, 2011, 08:38:36 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how badly Deron wants to get out of Newark. He can easily force his way out of there by refusing to sign an extension. Would he take less under the new CBA to go to the Knicks or another contender? Who knows how big a max contract might be next season anyway.
vjj

ch1nchilla

« Reply #1212 on: February 23, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
I'm oddly hopeful for the Thuggets vs Boston tomorrow post-Tuesday victory.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1213 on: February 23, 2011, 10:22:12 PM »
I watched most of the knicks game. It was as expected. A lot of offense. No defense.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #1214 on: February 23, 2011, 11:46:16 PM »
Reign Man telling it like it is.  :bow2

The 41-year-old joined KJR in Seattle with Dave Mahler and Ian Furness on Wednesday and called Griffin's final dunk "weak."

"I'm a big Blake Griffin fan, but that dunk at the contest might've been the weakest dunk in the dunk contest that I've seen in a long time," Kemp said. "I love the choir and all that stuff was great, but you at least gotta jump over the car though right."

Kemp also said that he could jump over a car.

"I'm 41 years old and right now I could do it. Two Smart Cars," he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/23/shawn-kemp-blake-griffin-car-dunk-weak_n_827282.html

I just finished watching the dunk contest on my DVR tonight.  Most of the dunks were quite nice but I feel that it's a contest which will be much better in highlights than when it actually happened.  Too many of the dunks just took too many attempts to complete.  Even after some of those dunks were finally completed, they still failed to impress much because you knew they were just plan-b efforts after the players had given up on harder dunks.  Blake was especially guilty of this.  It really puts into perspective how awesome Vince Carter's performance was.  VC completed every dunk on the first try and each of those was arguably harder than anything in this contest. 

I gotta agree with Reign Man on the last dunk.  If you gonna do a dunk like that, at least jump over the damn car.  Blake should have tried jumping over the highest point of the car instead of that weak ass effort over the hood. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1215 on: February 23, 2011, 11:55:10 PM »
But can Kemp jump over all his children then dunk?

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1216 on: February 23, 2011, 11:56:46 PM »
:lol

Maybe if his kids are standing in front of a buffet table. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1217 on: February 24, 2011, 12:16:42 AM »
Smooth - I totally agree. I've seen people dunk over a car for real in dunk contests so thought it was totally lame.

But since the whole thing was so stage-managed, I guess they didn't want to risk it. Imagine the official car of the NBA being responsible for the NBA's most promising rookie breaking his neck :(

Also have to point out that
1) Blake's off-the-backboard elbow dunk was better than VC's version;
2) Ibaka's free throw line dunk was better than Vince's, which
3) was also an obvious play-it-safe dunk which didn't deserve the 50 it got.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1218 on: February 24, 2011, 12:30:41 AM »
Vince got higher than Blake although passing and catching it off the backboard do add more difficulty.  Also, he was the first one to ever try something like that. 

Ibaka's dunk was definitely better although I could understand why it didn't get a 50.  Although MJ and Dr. J didn't jump from as far away, they managed to convey hang-time in a way that Ibaka didn't.  Perhaps it was just another case of a big man getting screwed because it looked too easy.  The way Ibaka did it, it almost seemed like a rountine fast break dunk.  I think he easily could have got a 50 if he had cocked back the ball a bit more and bent the knees closer to his waist.  Still, I don't think he would have won.  This year's dunk contest was more rigged than any game officiated by Tom Donaghy. 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1219 on: February 24, 2011, 12:33:03 AM »
Imagine the official car of the NBA being responsible for the NBA's most promising rookie breaking his neck :(

This.

They are not going to let anybody actually endanger themselves in the contest.

Also its a modern dunk contest. It's not the first time a gimmick dunk has won or will win. I honestly don't take it that seriously other than to see an occasional good dunk.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1220 on: February 24, 2011, 12:42:32 AM »
Ceballos' gimmick dunk is still the worst dunk to win a dunk contest.  He's also easily the worst champion ever, followed closely by Kobe. 

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1221 on: February 24, 2011, 12:53:22 AM »
[youtube=560,345]bsOSKib89Ek[/youtube]

2:12

Kadour Ziani at 5 ft 10, jumps from much farther away than Griffin for his car dunk.  Also, Kadour used a much better car. 

Bacchus7

« Reply #1222 on: February 24, 2011, 01:11:08 AM »
I fucking hate the Lakers.
DTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1223 on: February 24, 2011, 01:56:11 AM »
Baron Davis to the Cavs for Mo Williams. Given Sterling's comments about Baron from the sidelines, I guess this was inevitable. Don't see how Mo makes them better though. Baron will help the Cavs tank though, since he truly will not give a fuck playing in Cleveland.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1224 on: February 24, 2011, 02:11:24 AM »
I'm not a big fan of Baron but I kinda feel sorry for him.  Because of Blake, he was just starting to care again and now he's traded to a team that's even worse than the Clippers have been for awhile.  My friend played against Baron in HS and said that his athleticism was amazing even back then.  No matter how much space my friend gave Baron, he just blew by effortlessly. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1225 on: February 24, 2011, 02:18:49 AM »
Yea, I've seen people jump over cars irl dunk exploits too. The dunk was pretty meh, outside of the theatrics. The NBA probably realized the dunk contest is the only interesting thing about all star weekend and decided to spice things up. But instead of making it more appealing to the players most people would prefer to see in the contest, they just turned it into some WWF gimmick show. I thought the dunk with the Asian boy was the shark jumping moment, but it basically got worse and worse.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1226 on: February 24, 2011, 02:20:50 AM »
It was funny to see Cheryl kick the kid out of the arena though. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1227 on: February 24, 2011, 10:42:36 AM »
poor baron, him and blake made an awesome duo

Blake and you would make an awesome duo. That's not saying much.

Let's also think of Mo Williams, who joins Vinnie Del Negro in getting cruelly separated from one career-making player (LeBron and Derrick Rose, respectively), only to fall into the laps of another (Blake Griffin and Blake Griffin).
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1228 on: February 24, 2011, 06:24:39 PM »
Just before Thursday's 3 p.m. ET trade deadline, the Boston Celtics agreed to ship center Kendrick Perkins and guard Nate Robinson to the Oklahoma City Thunder for forward Jeff Green and big man Nenad Krstic, two league sources said.

Neither team was done, though.

The Celtics also traded rookie center Semih Erden and forward Luke Harangody to the Cleveland Cavaliers for a second-round draft pick.

While the Celtics were unloading big men, the Thunder acquired another one, sending Morris Peterson and D.J. White to Charlotte for center Nazr Mohammed, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge said Wednesday that Perkins is out at least a week after spraining the medial collateral ligament in his left knee. He missed 43 games this season recovering from right knee surgery.

Robinson tweeted reaction to the deal: "All I can say is wowzers -- Will miss all my Boston fans I love y'all, u guys showed me love."

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1229 on: February 24, 2011, 06:28:20 PM »
reeling at this, just reeling

help me understand this mr hollinger, help me

Great move for the Thunder - I was saying they should trade Green and Harden a page or two back - but I have no idea what the Celts are thinking other than 'we need someone else to guard LeBron'. Shaq better be ok for the playoffs or this could be disastrous.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1230 on: February 24, 2011, 06:29:43 PM »
Yeah it definitely seems a bit odd from the Celtics side.

Nice trade for Oklahoma though.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1231 on: February 24, 2011, 06:35:56 PM »
I watch the Thunder a lot and I hate fucking Jeff Green too - most invisible 6'10'' player ever. He has no standout skill whatsoever. Whereas Hard Workin' Kendrick Perkins is just a beast on D and the offensive boards as well as being an underrated low post option. Plus, that team just clicks when those 5 are on the court together. It has obviously been their best combo by far this year (don't know what the stats say on that tho - they are certainly better on offense with Shaq but only in short spurts).
vjj

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #1232 on: February 24, 2011, 07:03:14 PM »
Some other trades

Gerald Wallace (Bobcats) to the Trailblazers for Joel Pryzbilla and draft picks
Shane Battier (Rockets) to the Grizzlies for Hasheem Thabeet and picks
Aaron Brooks (Rockets) to the Suns for Goran Dragic and picks

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1233 on: February 24, 2011, 08:22:32 PM »
Andrew Bynum is probably rejoicing.  Despite the apparent disparity in size and talent, Perkins almost always manages to equal Bynum's play. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1234 on: February 24, 2011, 08:52:41 PM »
Why? He'll likely seem Perkins on the Thunder.

The CELTICS may be seeing him again on the Thunder :(

Unless the Cs pick up some awesome bigs on waivers real soon, I think this is a horrible trade for them. Ray and Pierce are gonna be pissed at losing their best screener too. Perkins was one of the best in the league. The only one happy about this is Big Baby Davis.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1235 on: February 24, 2011, 08:56:59 PM »
Well, it's not for certain that Perkins would perform just as well on the Thunder.  Like you said, Perkins had almost perfect chemistry with his Boston teammates. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1236 on: February 24, 2011, 09:01:07 PM »
Well, the only downside is maybe that he doesn't have any kind of range, which is what Krstic sort-of gave the Thunder.

(there is the possible comedy angle that the Celtics were actually trading for Krstic so they would have their own white, balding 7 footer with a midrange jumper and nothing else to match up with Ilgauskas..)
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1237 on: February 24, 2011, 09:03:56 PM »
There's also the possibility that Perkin's injury last year was a factor that triggered the Celtics to make this trade.  Maybe they figured that two so-so big men are still better than none. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1238 on: February 24, 2011, 09:20:10 PM »
A bigger factor is probably that they were unsure they could resign him next year, and thought they needed to get value for him now. If so, props to Ainge for being icy-cold. They have 3 roster spots open to sign guys who get bought out or waived after the deadline - we can be pretty sure they will be filled somehow. The Cs are a pretty good bet for ring-hunters. I know there is no other Kendrick Perkins out there tho.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1239 on: February 24, 2011, 09:24:13 PM »
Bulls playing the Heat on tnt right now. 2nd half is just starting.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1240 on: February 24, 2011, 09:50:23 PM »
Good game. Has playoff-like intensity.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1241 on: February 24, 2011, 10:00:55 PM »
Bosh is 1 of 15 tonight. You think he would take that as a clue to be more aggressive and actually get near the rim and attack. It's just not in him.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1242 on: February 24, 2011, 10:27:49 PM »
Like a Bosh 1 of 18

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1243 on: February 24, 2011, 10:40:40 PM »
It's over. And Miami loses again to another quality team. Does not bode well for the playoffs.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1244 on: February 24, 2011, 10:47:57 PM »
Not only that but Rose stole even more MVP votes from Lebron tonight.  It's almost certain now that Rose will have the honor of being one of the weakest MVPs ever. 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1245 on: February 24, 2011, 11:11:38 PM »
1-for-18. Officially the worst shooting night in Heat history

And the worst by an nba player since Tim Hardaway (0-17) in 20 years.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:18:27 PM by Stoney Mason »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1246 on: February 24, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
Lots o' trades!

The Perkins trade -- aside from whether it was a good idea -- sure seems to be a statement from the Celtics.  And that statement is "we are not worried about the Orlando Magic one little bit".

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1247 on: February 25, 2011, 12:49:24 AM »
I'm so out of the loop on the NBA. I thought Green was a great piece for OKC, and complimented Durant very well. Kinda odd they'd get rid of such a young, promising part of their nucleus. But from what I've read they need a big man badly, hence Perkins.

And speaking of Boston, I guess they aren't too worried about Howard?

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1248 on: February 25, 2011, 01:27:17 AM »
Jason Whitlock's take.  Playa hatin' or just real talk?

This whole NBA scenario — from LeBron’s Decision to Melo’s Madness to Deron’s Escape — reminds me of the American housing bubble.

You don’t need to read Michael Lewis’ latest book to see the NBA is headed for collapse.

That is not a statement about the product. The product is strong. We’re in the middle of one of the best NBA seasons in quite some time. Every night, there seems to be at least one must-see matchup, and the television networks — ABC, ESPN and TNT — trumpet the record number of viewers.

There are six legitimate championship teams — the Celtics, Spurs, Heat, Lakers, Bulls and Mavericks. There is a seemingly endless list of compelling superstars worth paying to see — James, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Dwyane Wade, Amar’e Stoudemire, Derrick Rose, Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Dirk Nowitzki, etc.

We’re at the height of the bubble. We’re at the brink of collapse.

For close to a decade, NBA players have walked the thin line between love and hate with their customers. The players crossed it when Ron Artest and several Indiana Pacers climbed into the stands to brawl with spectators. Commissioner David Stern instituted a string of new rules — dress code, tougher restrictions prohibiting fighting, 19-year-old age requirement for the draft — to push the players back on the other side of the line.

Those Band-Aid policies are starting to break. The players, many of whom have never grasped the need to understand and satisfy their customer base, are beginning to unwittingly push back.

Soaked in the arrogance of fame, wealth, immaturity and business ignorance, the players have dramatically reshaped the league with their free-agent and impending free-agent maneuvers.

In doing so — in destroying basketball in Cleveland, Utah and Denver — LeBron, Melo, Amar’e and Deron reinforced the perception among fans that teams don’t matter.

“As a player, you have to do what’s best for you,” Wade told reporters in reaction to the Carmelo trade to New York. “You can’t think about what someone’s going to feel or think on the outside. You have to do what’s best for you, and that’s what some players are doing. I’m happy for those players that felt that they wanted to be somewhere and they got their wish.”

That pretty much sums up the mentality of the modern-day American and modern-day pro athlete. Pleasing the individual takes precedence over everything else. It doesn’t matter that the collective strength of the NBA made Wade rich. Wade and other NBA players must be concerned only with themselves. That’s the American way.

The problem for basketball players is that they’re perceived differently than other pro athletes and Americans hold higher expectations for athletes than they do for themselves.

If NBA players were smart, they’d consider the health of the entire league.

They won’t. They can’t. They’re too young, too uneducated, too compromised by a society that intellectually cripples its physically gifted, beautiful and famous. You can’t see the big picture when you’re surrounded by male and female groupies.

It’s up to David Stern and the owners to protect the future of the league. They have to protect the players from themselves.

The problems facing the NBA are not unique. The problems are just more acute in the NBA as opposed to the NFL and major league baseball.

It’s easiest to see the break from traditional sports values in the NBA. The embrace of rebellious, hip-hop music culture, which is in direct opposition to the patriotism associated with sports, and the devastation of college basketball because of early entrants into the NBA put pro basketball players at odds with their fan base.

American sports fans love basketball. It is our most beautiful and graceful game. They don’t like or respect the participants. The fans don’t believe the players share their values. Fans care about the teams. The players don’t.

As the NBA heads for labor unrest in an attempt to negotiate a new collective-bargaining agreement, Stern and the owners should be super aggressive in addressing this fundamental problem.

A franchise tag for the league’s biggest stars won’t fix it.

Tying a significant percentage of player compensation to wins and losses is the solution, along with financial incentives for players to stay in college and pursue an actual education while there.

I’ve written in detail about these ideas in the past.

American basketball is in need of a major overhaul. Everything should be on the table. People should think outside the box. Money has changed pro sports. It’s long past time for the rules governing construction of teams and compensation of players to be fundamentally changed to reflect today’s reality.

The teams have to matter. Winning has to matter. It can’t simply be about players re-creating their AAU teams in their favorite NBA cities. That bubble is going to burst. The thin line between love and hate soon is going to be crossed irrevocably.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1249 on: February 25, 2011, 01:33:16 AM »
Nonsense.

And having moved around as much as he has, he has a fucking cheek calling Melo and LeBron intellectual cripples for leveraging their success to get what they want.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1250 on: February 25, 2011, 01:33:22 AM »
That little meme has been popping up in every writer's notebook over the last few days. Reily had a crap article up about it the other day. imo there is not enough factual evidence to support that take at this time. Especially since some of the lowest ratings come when any small market team actually appears in the finals. (San Antonio for example although their style of play didn't help of course) It strikes me as people complaining when reality sets in and they realize that big superstars don't want to play in the arm pits of america because those teams have trouble attracting free agents. It also strikes me as pretty "un-american" to attack people for excercising their right to change job locations. I would love to see how these writers would like it if people demonized their character based on job switches or even job performance. Where are all these writers when the Yankees do what they do every single season?

Yes, in theory its probably better in some sportman's sense if every team has an equitable chance of winning a title. The reality is that isn't the case in most major sports outside of football. And the reason it is in football is because by comparison, the union is weaker in that sport and owners have more power in that sport relative to others to revenue share and create parity.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 01:42:35 AM by Stoney Mason »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1251 on: February 25, 2011, 01:41:48 AM »
Basketball has been destroyed in Denver and Utah? Seems like Whitlock using one case to justify broad concern trolling.

FAs flee bad situations to join better ones. That happens in all the major team leagues (NBA, NFL, MLB). This meme that players have somehow taken power from the owners who literally own everything is laughable. There is no honor in the professional sports business. Hell in the NFL if you get injured you can get dropped and not even get payed what's in your contract if it's not guaranteed. Yet you never hear sports writers or analysts lamenting over this; instead we have to hear about how LeBron broke Gilbert's heart and murdered an entire city's economy. meh

I like the idea of an NBA with multiple championship quality teams.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1252 on: February 25, 2011, 01:45:46 AM »
I'd rather read David Brooks op-eds than moral scoldings disguised as sports columns.

Jason Whitlock gets a big fat :patel

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1253 on: February 25, 2011, 01:46:26 AM »
The only way for every team to have the same chance of winning the title is only to have one team. The NBA has 30! It's just a ludicrous proposition.

This thing is just flamebait. Stern would love to crush the players, sure, but he also wants the Celtics and the Lakers in the finals every year, preferably with Kobe on one team and LeBron on the other. Ratings and attendance drive everything, and both are up. He'd be nuts to kill player movement with these results.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1254 on: February 25, 2011, 01:49:04 AM »
Like I said there isn't enough data to say that parity by itself is what creates fan interest and drama.

The 80's were mostly dominated by two teams. The Lakers and the Celtics.
The 90's were dominated by mostly two teams. The Rockets and the Bulls.

Throw the pistons in there also.

Fan interest was very high in both decades.

The 70's by comparison had the highest level of parity ever. 8 different champions. No back to back champions. The league was in dire shape.

This is a slightly different argument of course. Whitlock is arguing that suddenly small market teams are being stabbed in the back and this is what will kill fan interest. But Orlando seems to do nicely and Shaq at the time was the biggest "stab in the back ever".

Smaller market teams have to function differently. That's reality unless a lot of big changes are made and free agency is essentially curtailed so players have to stay with their original teams. It's why the Oakland Athletics or a team like the Devil Rays function differently than the Yankees or the Red Sox.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 01:50:49 AM by Stoney Mason »

etiolate

« Reply #1255 on: February 25, 2011, 01:53:33 AM »
Kings really needed a PG and somehow miss out on all the PGs traded. They are linked to a Deron Williams trade offer that got outbid, but their offer included Cousins instead of Evans, which really don't make sense team-wise.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1256 on: February 25, 2011, 02:05:36 AM »
Yeah, Whitlock's trolling, like whatshisface who freaked out when John Wall did the dougie.  The funny thing is that this is basically a ten year old meme.

Almost every drinking-age NBA fan remembers the worries of the post-Jordan era, that the new generation of stars inflected by gangsta rap culture (Iverson, Marbury, Francis, etc) would alienate the fanbase, yadda yadda.  But the sky didn't fall in, and now the association is has a giant stable of talented, well-behaved, media-savvy young stars, The Decision aside.  Stern couldn't have wished for a better crop than the six or seven year period that brough LeBron, Howard, Paul, Rose, Durant, Griffin, etc.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1257 on: February 25, 2011, 02:07:52 AM »
The idea that small market teams are getting stabbed in the back is ludicrous.

For a start, they EXIST. Lots of them!

Second, they CONTINUE to exist not because of their own efforts but because of the successful teams and players. Thanks to revenue sharing, they all get a cut of league-wide revenues even though not many people are buying cable to watch the Bobcats or the Raptors.

(I agree with you on parity btw...)
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1258 on: February 25, 2011, 02:09:19 AM »
Kings really needed a PG and somehow miss out on all the PGs traded. They are linked to a Deron Williams trade offer that got outbid, but their offer included Cousins instead of Evans, which really don't make sense team-wise.

DaMarcus Cousins in Utah :lol
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1259 on: February 25, 2011, 02:14:21 AM »
Rick Reilly is even more harsh. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6150136

This is what the NBA has become: very tall, very rich twenty-somethings running the league from the backs of limos, colluding so that the best players gang up on the worst.

Hello, David Stern? Did you leave a wake-up call for the 21st century? Your clubs need to be able to protect their great players with a franchise tag, as the NFL does. If that isn't priority No. 1 in your lockout talks, you need the Wite-Out.

You wonder why the NFL continues to pull away from the NBA in this country? Three words: Green Bay Packers. Two more: Indianapolis Colts. The NFL finds a way to let cities that don't happen to have a Versace store hang on to their great players like, oh, say, Peyton Manning.

I find this article even more disturbing than Whitlock's.  His main problem seems to be that distinguished black fellows are calling the shots. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 02:16:17 AM by Smooth Groove »