Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519561 times)

T-Short

• hooker strangler
Re: NBA 2K11 Thread Era of the Superteam (Melo+Amare)
« Reply #1320 on: February 28, 2011, 02:38:32 PM »
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- Detroit's Richard Hamilton says he met with coach John Kuester recently in an effort to repair their relationship.
Hamilton has played only once since Jan. 10. He was benched for the latter part of January, and although he played Feb. 5 in Milwaukee, scoring 15 points, he's been out since then because of what the team has said is a groin injury.
On Friday, Hamilton was one of several players who missed at least part of a shootaround before a game at Philadelphia. The coaching staff used only six players that night, sticking with those who were at the full shootaround.
Hamilton wouldn't specify when he and Kuester spoke. He took passes from the coach while shooting at the end of practice Monday.

:violin
地平線

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1321 on: February 28, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »
I'm guessing every pundit that pooh-poohed the big trades in the past week changed their tune after the game last night.

I swear to God, a friend of mine was saying how the Knicks were going to "blow it" a weekend ago with regards to the Carmelo trade. He said how everyone they were offering to trade sucked anyway and they shouldn't hold it up for someone like Gallo. Then this weekend, after the Cavs loss, he said how the trade was a bad move. I tried to remind him of what he said the weekend before, but he wouldn't listen. I'm anxious to hear what he says this weekend.
AMC

etiolate

« Reply #1322 on: February 28, 2011, 05:55:19 PM »
Yeah

chances are the maloofs are delaying the news to get attendance through the year

or they're so broke that they are waiting for anaheim to give them a total bailout deal

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1323 on: February 28, 2011, 06:32:12 PM »
Mike Bibby and the Washington Wizards have agreed to terms on a buyout.

In a stunning move, Bibby, whom the Wizards acquired from Atlanta last week in a trade for Kirk Hinrich, gave up his entire salary for next season. The 32-year-old point guard had one year and $6.2 million left on his deal.

"He sacrificed some money in order to win a championship," said David Falk, Bibby's agent. "Once you're past 10, 11 years in the league, you want to be in a situation where you can win. He's got some attractive options open to him."

Bibby is eager to sign with a title-contending team after clearing waivers, and sources say the Los Angeles Lakers, Boston Celtics, Miami Heat and Portland Trail Blazers are interested in him.

Bibby will clear waivers on Wednesday. While Falk said Bibby has not made a decision yet about which team he will join, one source close to the situation said he's headed to Miami.

The source also said Miami is the front-runner for Troy Murphy. The Heat will have to cut as many players as they sign, and the source said Carlos Arroyo and Jamaal Magloire are the likeliest candidates.

However, Falk, who doesn't represent Murphy, maintained that nothing has been agreed to.

"I've been in touch with six or seven of the top teams," he said. "Nothing can be done until he clears waivers."

For Washington, the deal is a sweetheart one that will knock next season's payroll down to roughly $38 million, which is $20 million below the current salary cap.

Sources: Warriors buy out Troy Murphy
By Brian Windhorst
ESPN.com

Murphy, who was traded last week to the Golden State Warriors after spending nearly two months in exile with the New Jersey Nets, completed a buyout agreement Sunday, source told ESPN.com.

Sources said that the Portland Trail Blazers also expressed interest in Murphy but he is deciding between the two East powers.

In a flurry of deals right at last Thursday's deadline, the Celtics traded three big men and also opened up three roster spots. Part of the strategy, league executives said, was to make room for one or two free agents to be added after buyout season. Murphy is a top choice to fill one of those roles.

The Heat have struggled this season with rebounding and scoring from their bench and Murphy would fill a need there. Miami currently has 15 players on its roster and would have to release a player to make room for Murphy.

Murphy has not played since Jan. 7 and averaged just 3.6 points and 4.2 rebounds in 18 games for the Nets. But he has a history of being a solid outside shooter and rebounder. He averaged 14.6 points and 10.2 rebounds in more steady minutes last season with the Indiana Pacers.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1324 on: February 28, 2011, 06:45:07 PM »
I for one welcome our new shambling-corpse-PG and token-Mick to the Boston Celtics!
 :pimp
vjj

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #1325 on: February 28, 2011, 11:02:49 PM »
Heat are pure trash. Cannot wait to get exposed during the playoffs.
Haters gonna hate.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1326 on: February 28, 2011, 11:08:47 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1327 on: March 03, 2011, 08:38:04 PM »
Watching Miami - Orlando. Going to be fun to see how much Bibby sabotages the defense.
vjj

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #1328 on: March 03, 2011, 08:48:40 PM »
If the Heat lose tonight, they might as well give up, rest Wade and get a better draft pick.   

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1329 on: March 03, 2011, 09:48:37 PM »
:bow Corey Brewer, last great hope for a Mavs championship before Dirk is a million years old :bow2
©@©™

Beezy

« Reply #1330 on: March 03, 2011, 10:55:02 PM »
Heats :rofl

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #1331 on: March 03, 2011, 10:56:12 PM »
Que pasa, Heat?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1332 on: March 03, 2011, 11:40:59 PM »
Heaters gonna Heat.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1333 on: March 04, 2011, 12:33:10 AM »
Down by 24 points in the third quarter, the Magic went on an unbelievable 40-9 run over the next 15 minutes and stunned the Heat 99-96, the second-largest comeback in Orlando franchise history and matching the second-biggest in the NBA this season.

:rofl
dog

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1334 on: March 04, 2011, 03:17:26 AM »
that was pretty bad alright :lol Quentin Richardson did a fucking great job on LeBron in the 2nd half :bow
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1335 on: March 04, 2011, 03:48:20 AM »
Hollinger on Heat and Magic's chances of making the Finals, a worthwhile read for those (Stoney) who weight games against contenders heavily:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ask pundits where the NBA championship will end up this year, and you'll hear a variety of answers. Ask the same gang where the title will NOT end up, however, and you'll get a pretty consistent answer: Florida.

This stands in stark contrast to our playoff odds, which see a 1-in-4 chance of the Larry O'Brien trophy landing in the Sunshine State this season. Yet despite their accomplishments -- Miami is 43-17 and has the league's best scoring margin, while Orlando is 39-22 with nearly as dominant a margin -- the two Florida teams have had an unusual amount of difficulty getting people to believe they're for real.

Thus, today's big question: Are they for real?

Ironically, the same things hurt both teams in their pursuit of ForRealness. For starters, there's history. Miami's lack of it with this group means the huddled masses can't point to their experience, nor to past results with the same core. Orlando's recent history, meanwhile, includes a not-as-close-as-it-looked six-game defeat to Boston in last season's conference finals, when the Magic arguably had a stronger team than this one.

Second, there's the convenient shorthand of the Big Game. Both Miami and Orlando have played poorly in the spotlight, national TV games that everybody watches. The Heat, as we've heard almost constantly throughout the season, are just 3-8 against the league's seven other top teams, and two of those wins came against the equally lightly regarded Magic. The flow of those games, particularly the three against Boston, also hurt Miami -- in each Miami trailed badly before a near-comeback at the end; the fact Boston led each game wire-to-wire resonates with a lot of people.

Orlando's track record against the elite is better than Miami's at 5-7, but its timing has been terrible. The Magic's best performance -- a 107-78 win over the Bulls in Chicago, with the Bulls playing both Joakim Noah and Carlos Boozer -- was immediately obliterated in the news cycle by LeBron's return to Cleveland the next night. In the marquee Thursday games, they've lost to Portland, Oklahoma City and Miami; in contrast, their two biggest wins on national TV came on Dec. 23 and Dec. 25, when folks were distracted by the holidays.

I'll give you two other reasons the Heat and Magic are frowned upon as contenders. The first is confirmation bias. When Orlando loses at home to Sacramento, it's a sign they can't be taken seriously as a contender. When the Lakers are blown out at home by the Bucks? Not the same reaction.

Similarly, many take the Heat's 3-8 record against elite teams as further proof that they lack championship mettle -- an easy case to argue since Wade is the only one of the group with a ring. The Lakers' 2-7 mark against the same teams, meanwhile, has received comparatively little scrutiny. (At least, for the Lakers. Everything that happens with the Lakers gets at least some scrutiny.)

Record Against Top Seven Teams

Team Wins Losses
Chicago 8 4
Boston 8 4
San Antonio 6 4
Dallas 7 5
Orlando 5 7
Miami 3 8
Los Angeles 2 7

Additionally, there are big weaknesses one can point to, much more easily than those of Boston or San Antonio. The Heat have no center and until yesterday had no point guard; defensively, they're extremely vulnerable at both positions. Orlando, meanwhile, basically has one good defensive player and no perimeter weapons who can reliably create shots against quality defenses -- the bugaboo that bit them in the playoff loss to Boston a year ago.

But here's the thing: None of that matters. Not one iota. Look for indicators of playoff success, and the items that stand out are regular-season scoring margin, star talent and quality of play heading into the postseason. (I know that last one didn't hold up a year ago, but historically it's rock-solid.)

Performance in spotlight TV Games? A total non-factor.

Won-loss record against elite teams? Meaningless, believe it or not.

Record in close games? Ditto.

Here are the factors that actually matter for the postseason:

1. Miami and Orlando have the three best players in the league. Despite their weaknesses, both teams offset the flaws with strengths no other side can match. Miami's combination of LeBron James and Dwyane Wade is unmatchable. They're the two best perimeter players in the game, and the fact an opponent must account for both stretches most defenses to the limit. Witness the Celtics' acquisition of Jeff Green just to add another perimeter defender, a move that seemed to be made with guarding James and Wade top of mind.

Orlando, meanwhile, has Howard, a wild card because of his ability to overwhelm defenses that lack a huge, physical center. With Howard having refined his post game this season and making a real run at James for the league's PER crown, he's providing a much more broad-based offensive threat to build the Magic attack around. Combine that with noted Howard stopper Kendrick Perkins' departure to the Western Conference, and Orlando has to like its odds in the playoffs.

The reason this matters in the playoffs is a simple one: You can play your stars more minutes in the postseason, given the high stakes and increased time off between games, and thus use the weaker bench players less. If Howard can play 46 minutes a game it doesn't matter if the Magic don't have a backup center, and if James and Wade are on the floor for 45 apiece the Heat's bench shortcomings are similarly masked.

They've won in the playoffs before. James, Wade and Howard account for three of the past five Eastern Conference championships. We're really saying they can't be factors? While Boston has the trump card of knocking off all three in succession in last season's playoffs, the Celtics couldn't get past Orlando the year before and barely beat a much weaker LeBron-led Cleveland team in the second round in their 2008 title run.

Orlando, in particular, has seen its playoff success dismissed far too often. Only one team has won more series over the past two years -- the Lakers, obviously. Orlando has won five playoff rounds in the past two seasons, which is one more than Boston, not to mention four more than San Antonio or Dallas, and five more than Chicago or Miami.

Scoring margin. The best predictor of future success is scoring margin. Miami's plus-7.6 mark is tops in the league, and Orlando's plus-6.0 is within a point of all the other contenders getting much more ink. Both those marks look even better if you consider recent play, which as I mentioned above is another major factor in playoff success. The Heat are 34-9 since a wobbly first month and haven't lost by more than six points in a game James played in since Nov. 27. The Magic, meanwhile, have 10 double-digit wins in their last 19 outings. Take that in for a second -- they'd be 10-9 in their last 19 even if they spotted the other team 10 points.

In summary, none of this means the Magic or Heat are necessarily destined to win the title. Some of the weaknesses enumerated above may eventually come back to bite them -- in particular, I don't like how Miami's offense matches up against Boston's defensive style, and any team that can put fouls on Howard has a great shot of beating Orlando.

Nonetheless, I think their odds are at least as good as anyone else's, including Boston and L.A. We'll get another national TV test tonight when the Florida teams play each other, and we can be sure that the loser will find itself immediately dismissed nationally. It could be a recurring theme in the Heat's case -- Miami plays 10 straight games against winning teams before a final lap through the league's doormats in April.

Somehow, however, the idea that both teams are fatally flawed has gained tremendous traction. Between the inability of the teams' history to provide a counterargument, the lure of overreacting to national TV games, and the failure to understand that records in close games and records against good teams are both meaningless predictors of playoff success, the two Florida teams are held in far less regard than they should be. Come May, that position may need reconsidering.
[close]
vjj

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #1336 on: March 04, 2011, 04:06:34 AM »
Heat are pure trash. Cannot wait to get exposed during the playoffs.
Haters gonna hate.

U MAD?

Hollinger is pure trash too.
itm

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #1337 on: March 04, 2011, 11:56:40 PM »
  :o

Well, tonight's collapse for the Heat didn't wait until the second half. They were outscored 36-12 in the first quarter by San Anton'.

Made a slight comeback in the 2nd, gave it back in the 3rd, and now they trail by about 30 late in the fourth.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #1338 on: March 04, 2011, 11:57:45 PM »
8 Spurs in double figures.

8, Bob.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #1339 on: March 05, 2011, 12:09:27 AM »
Continuing my filibuster, Amare went for 41 tonight, Carmelo 29, the Knicks went for 115, but the Cavaliers went for 4 more.

Cleveland doesn't have LeBron, but the Knicks didn't get him, either. Cavs 3, Knicks 0 in season series.

pilonv1

« Reply #1340 on: March 05, 2011, 12:10:54 AM »
itm

pilonv1

« Reply #1341 on: March 05, 2011, 12:11:21 AM »
Knicks choked again tonight too. Melo theory in full effect.

If the Warriors had won it would have been a perfect night.
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1342 on: March 05, 2011, 05:50:15 PM »
Back in town after being gone for most of last week. I did get to watch a number of heat games. Good lord they looked like shit. Real Talk.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1343 on: March 05, 2011, 07:45:20 PM »
As a Celtics fan, I really couldn't be happier about the Bibby acquisition :D Bibby is closing in on 'worst defender of all-time' territory at this point in his career, and he's gonna be facing Rose and / or Rondo in the playoffs. Good luck with that.
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1344 on: March 05, 2011, 09:46:47 PM »
I wish people would stop this Rose-for-MVP nonsense.  Forget LeBron, how could you justify putting him above Dwight Howard this season?

Bacchus7

« Reply #1345 on: March 05, 2011, 09:54:37 PM »
Because you can.
DTF

etiolate

« Reply #1346 on: March 05, 2011, 10:17:59 PM »
The Bulls look like an improved and legit contender, and they were heading that way before Boozer. I might credit the coach more than Rose, but I think Rose might shine the brightest in the playoffs this year.

pilonv1

« Reply #1347 on: March 06, 2011, 03:11:31 AM »
As a Celtics fan, I really couldn't be happier about the Bibby acquisition :D Bibby is closing in on 'worst defender of all-time' territory at this point in his career, and he's gonna be facing Rose and / or Rondo in the playoffs. Good luck with that.

Shame the C's signed Arroyo :-\

Rose got shutdown by the Warriors guards, can't give someone and MVP after that.
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1348 on: March 06, 2011, 07:46:24 AM »
The Bulls look like an improved and legit contender, and they were heading that way before Boozer. I might credit the coach more than Rose, but I think Rose might shine the brightest in the playoffs this year.

A mystifying argument. How does that make him superior to players who have ALREADY had their teams in the Finals and kept them in serious contention for most of their careers? The fact that Rose gets to take more shots than LeBron and Howard makes his box scores jump out a bit more, but it doesn't make him MVP.
vjj

Himu

« Reply #1349 on: March 06, 2011, 08:16:27 AM »
I'm considering getting back into the NBA. I used to watch the Rockets just about every day when I was a kid and teenager but stopped by the time I was out of high school because the rivalries and stuff started to get boring to me. Plus, the Rockets never got anywhere.

But the premise of the super teams really interests me. It seems to me that they will make the rivalries and stories more interesting and fun for me again.

The only problem is that mlb starts up soon and nba just starts to get REALLY good right when MLB gets warmed up.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1350 on: March 06, 2011, 02:28:08 PM »
tl dr: i'm looking for a bandwagon to jump on

You, Beezy, Cajole, and Smooth Groove should get no love

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1351 on: March 06, 2011, 02:48:02 PM »
For what its worth I'm always accused of being a bandwagoner.

I don't really have a favorite team anymore. I just like basketball and players. I grew up a Celtics fan just because my brother was a Celtics fan but that doesn't really extend to the current incarnation of the squad as I found what I really was responding to was liking or disliking certain players.

The town I grew up in had no basketball team (Tampa) so I never really had that hometown association like with the bucs in football

Orlando is close and I rooted for them back in the Shaq days but I'm less of a Dwight Howard fan as I don't really like his game (Although he seems like a really nice human being)

Of all the teams I'm kinda rooting for the heat and hating on the Lakers but there is no real logic to that decision. It's just based on my visceral reaction to those teams and certain players on those teams.

Mandark

• Icon
And I'm an actual Wiz fan!
« Reply #1352 on: March 06, 2011, 03:18:59 PM »
Root for The Wizards. Once they're #1, you'll want to hold it over everyone how you were there first.

But will anyone at the retirement home believe him?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1353 on: March 06, 2011, 03:20:04 PM »
I used to be a big Pistons fan as a kid until I "met" Joe Dumars and he ignored me. My dad claims I cried but I don't remember that  :maf

But mainly I've been a Shaq fan. I suppose that could make me a bandwagon jumper because my favorite team was whichever one Shaq was on. When I got older it became less so: didn't like Cleveland, and I can't stand Boston. So right now I don't have a favorite team.

if only shaq played for Chicago  :'(

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #1354 on: March 06, 2011, 03:34:53 PM »
Heat lose at home to the Bulls. 4 straight, 5 out of 6, with the win being against Himuro's new favorite team.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1355 on: March 06, 2011, 03:36:57 PM »
Heat lose at home to the Bulls. 4 straight, 5 out of 6, with the win being against Himuro's new favorite team.

The Heat have some of the worst last minute shot preparation I've ever seen from a "good" team. God damn awful.

Himu

« Reply #1356 on: March 06, 2011, 03:50:46 PM »

I'm not looking for a bandwagon at all. What the fuck? My heart will always belong to the Rockets but since I no longer live in Houston, I can't label them as a "favorite team" anymore. I just want to start watching basketball again because it seems to be an interesting time.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:52:47 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

etiolate

« Reply #1357 on: March 06, 2011, 04:15:05 PM »
Once the Kings move, I'm probably ditching the NBA. It's a pretty shitty league. Right now is not an interesting time, unless you're watching the chronicle a train wreck.

Mandark

• Icon
Remember the Spurs-Nets Finals?
« Reply #1358 on: March 06, 2011, 04:41:25 PM »
Really?  There are seven or eight teams with a legit shot to make the Finals, and a ton of HoF players in or near their primes.  Objectively, this is way better than the post-Jordan wasteland of the early aughts.

Himu

« Reply #1359 on: March 06, 2011, 04:42:23 PM »
Yep
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1360 on: March 06, 2011, 06:11:43 PM »
I don't find the NBA interesting but I'm looking forward to seeing how the Heat fare in the playoffs.

pilonv1

« Reply #1361 on: March 06, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »
Once the Kings move, I'm probably ditching the NBA. It's a pretty shitty league. Right now is not an interesting time, unless you're watching the chronicle a train wreck.

Warriors are going to block the Kings move because it would make it easier for someone to move a team to San Jose. We're fighting the good fight  :american
itm

etiolate

Re: Remember the Spurs-Nets Finals?
« Reply #1362 on: March 06, 2011, 06:18:16 PM »
Really?  There are seven or eight teams with a legit shot to make the Finals, and a ton of HoF players in or near their primes.  Objectively, this is way better than the post-Jordan wasteland of the early aughts.

Seven or eight? no.

There was HoF players after Jordan. People just got caught up in their mourning.

Meanwhile, the ref problem is getting worse and the league looks more and more WWE by the year. Last years finals was two teams playing in a way TRYING to win via the refs, back and forth each game like that. It was boring and borderline ugly.

etiolate

« Reply #1363 on: March 06, 2011, 06:19:33 PM »

Warriors are going to block the Kings move because it would make it easier for someone to move a team to San Jose. We're fighting the good fight  :american

I have heard that rumor about a San Jose team as well, involving the Hornets.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1364 on: March 06, 2011, 06:59:24 PM »

Seven or eight? no.

Spurs, Mavs, Lakers, and possibly the Thunder in the West. Celtics, Heat, Bulls, and maybe the Magic and Hawks in the East.

So, that's six with a real chance and three more with an outside shot.
dog

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1365 on: March 06, 2011, 07:02:03 PM »
etoliate is just blue because he has to watch the Kings all the time, a team that most can beat while still half-asleep
vjj

pilonv1

« Reply #1366 on: March 06, 2011, 07:07:23 PM »

I have heard that rumor about a San Jose team as well, involving the Hornets.

Apparently Larry Ellison made a comment about buying a team and putting it in San Jose because that fuckstick Cohan wouldn't sell to him even though he had the highest bid.
itm

Himu

« Reply #1367 on: March 06, 2011, 07:45:40 PM »
why put a team in san jose? I just can't imagine san jose with a nba franchise.
IYKYK

etiolate

« Reply #1368 on: March 06, 2011, 07:55:55 PM »

Seven or eight? no.

Spurs, Mavs, Lakers, and possibly the Thunder in the West. Celtics, Heat, Bulls, and maybe the Magic and Hawks in the East.

I don't see the Mavs doing it. The Thunder have to make it to a tough WCF first and go through the high drama experience. (When a team is that young, its hard to make the jump from second round to finals, as I have seen over time.) They have the pieces though, just not this year.

The Celtics yes, the Bulls maybe but they have the same deal as the Thunder. The Heat probably, due to officiating, though they haven't shown anything much against the top. The Magic are too helter skelter. The Hawks aren't real contenders.

So I see more four or five teams vying to get to the Finals. The difference between now and post-Jordan is that the East actually has a chance, instead of it just being the top four in the west.

etiolate

« Reply #1369 on: March 06, 2011, 07:57:10 PM »
why put a team in san jose? I just can't imagine san jose with a nba franchise.

Why put a team in Anahiem? Local business mainly.

Himu

« Reply #1370 on: March 06, 2011, 08:57:45 PM »
if anything, the nba needs to lose like 10 or so teams but that will never happen.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1371 on: March 06, 2011, 10:36:42 PM »

Seven or eight? no.

You seriously think the Thunder and Heat have a chance to win?

Lakers Celtics. Maybe the Bulls. Spurs will be run out by a faster/younger team, Mavs will choke, Dwight Howard will disappear for the Magic, etc.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1372 on: March 06, 2011, 10:52:07 PM »
Tell us how the Celtics are gonna do in 2008, PD.

:teehee

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1373 on: March 06, 2011, 11:22:48 PM »
god dammit

Beezy

« Reply #1374 on: March 06, 2011, 11:37:45 PM »

I really don't care. I never followed the NBA or rooted for a team until this season. I was just an MJ fan when I was a kid.

etiolate

« Reply #1375 on: March 07, 2011, 01:50:38 AM »
Beezy is part of the problem.

Beezy

« Reply #1376 on: March 07, 2011, 07:45:40 AM »
 :american

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: NBA 2K11 Thread Era of the Superteam
« Reply #1377 on: March 07, 2011, 04:36:06 PM »
:heatcry
©@©™

Beezy

« Reply #1378 on: March 08, 2011, 12:35:16 AM »

:lol

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1379 on: March 08, 2011, 02:25:23 AM »
Mandark - seen this?

http://queencityhoops.com/blog/2011/03/04/the-importance-of-being-open/

These dudes set up cameras to literally measure everything that happens on the court in terms of location.

The focus of Weill’s research this time was on distance – from the rim and from defenders – and the impact on field goal percentage. Stats, LLC’s new tool provides exactly that, as Sandy was able to look at over 6,000 field goal attempts with the knowledge of where the shot was taken and the distance from defenders. Yes, plural defenders, as the range from all defenders is available, giving the ability to recognize double teams and an oncoming defender.

The three primary results of Weill’s poring through the data and accounting for things like historical player shooting percentages, distance, and shot type:
-Tight defense (within three feet) drops expected shooting 12% points (ie – a 50% shot becomes a 38% shot)
-FG% drops 1% point for every 1.5 feet from the rim
-There is something beneficial about the catch and shoot, beyond expectations

Now that's some useful geekery. All that is perhaps stuff we thought already - but now we KNOW it. For example, coaches can take this to a player and PROVE that certain shots are bad ones for them, no matter how good they may feel, or how many they think they are making.  8) A guard with the choice of a tightly-guarded 15 footer or passing for an open 3 can make a better-quality decision.
vjj