Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519474 times)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: NBA 2K11 Playoffs Thread (Mavs vs Heat)
« Reply #2220 on: May 30, 2011, 01:59:57 AM »
LeBron has always been a guy that I like, no matter how douchey he appears to be in the media.  I mean, sure, he's got an ego.  He plays sports.  Of course he does.  But he's from my hometown, dammit, and I've known him since he was a sophomore in high school.  I'm going to root for him, no matter what.
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2221 on: May 30, 2011, 03:00:35 AM »
His 'heel turn' is so transparent that I like him more for it in a way. He's only doing it because he's genuinely hurt at all the booing. He really just wants to be loved, and is like a confused little puppy that just got kicked.

vjj

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #2222 on: May 30, 2011, 03:33:09 AM »
[youtube=560,345]JoQyzmn8mLA[/youtube]

:bow2

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #2223 on: May 30, 2011, 01:51:28 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

I'm waiting for the day somebody just punches Bayless dead in his mouth.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2224 on: May 30, 2011, 02:04:56 PM »
Usually with sports radio or television you can tell commentators are deploying a version of "good cop bad cop" to stimulate debate and conversation with their listeners/viewers; you can tell no one is truly stupid enough to believe x is true, and dismiss it as a facet of the medium. But I've never gotten that impression with Bayless. He truly believes every stupid thing he says.

I don't remember anyone accusing LeBron of being some selfish, conceited bastard during the heights of his Cavs career. He was the de facto leader of that team and got everyone involved. He made bums look good, and seemed to enjoy utilizing his insane court vision to get these guys involved. Only after leaving the Cavs did I start noticing all the negative stories about him being selfish. Even Kobe fans on GAF accuse LeBron of it, which is hilarious of course.

LeBron was a kid and acted like one. And yet, he didn't get in any off court trouble, say many controversial things, have to apologize for stupid mistakes, etc. He stayed pretty clean, by modern sports superstar era standards.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2225 on: May 30, 2011, 02:30:54 PM »
Exactly.  Kobe-GAF have some of the most hysterical and unbelievable opinions regarding James.  All the nicknames, all the accusations, when Kobe is just as bad if not WORSE.
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2226 on: May 30, 2011, 02:34:38 PM »
It's not even comparable. LeBron's teammates loved him, in part because he kept them involved and trusted them. Every year the media chooses a point in the season to claim Kobe has "grown up" and is more mature, trusts his teammates, etc. Which of course never truly happens; he's better than he once was, but that's not saying much.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2227 on: May 30, 2011, 02:53:24 PM »
Exactly.  Kobe-GAF have some of the most hysterical and unbelievable opinions regarding James.  All the nicknames, all the accusations, when Kobe is just as bad if not WORSE.

That was always the oddest thing about NBA GAF. They hated Lebron and loved Kobe. So in other words they loved the alleged rapist and the guy who tried to throw Shaq under the bus when he got caught cheating on his wife. Go figure.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2228 on: May 30, 2011, 02:54:26 PM »

That was always the oddest thing about NBA GAF. They hated Lebron and loved Kobe. So in other words they loved the alleged rapist and the guy who tried to throw Shaq under the bus when he got caught cheating on his wife. Go figure.

This is also the forum that has Amri0x as a mod, so...
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2229 on: May 30, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
and the guy who gave up in at least two key playoff games (against the Suns and against the Celtics in the finals) that resulted in eliminations.

"but we were going to lose anyway!"

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2230 on: May 30, 2011, 02:58:16 PM »
The thing is I don't even hate Kobe. Kobe is what he is. He's got the rings to validate his career. I just never put him on a pedastal especially morally.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2231 on: May 30, 2011, 03:03:20 PM »
and the guy who gave up in at least two key playoff games (against the Suns and against the Celtics in the finals) that resulted in eliminations.

"but we were going to lose anyway!"

The Cavs fan in me can retort back saying LeBron did the same thing last year in the playoffs, but honestly?  He played for the Cavs under a terrible TERRIBLE owner and coach.  Kobe had Jackson and plays for the fucking Lakers.  I might act the same way if I was in Bron's situation.
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2232 on: May 30, 2011, 03:47:17 PM »
True. That last playoff run was painful. The Cavs team was built poorly, and they simply didn't play well. LeBron looked desperate to win

I like Kobe overall, he was once my second favorite player in the NBA. But Kobe fans who hate LeBron make me want to break shit. I had been on the "Kobe>LeBron" bandwagon for awhile, but I gotta admit LeBron looks better.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2233 on: May 30, 2011, 09:39:04 PM »
It's not even comparable. LeBron's teammates loved him, in part because he kept them involved and trusted them. Every year the media chooses a point in the season to claim Kobe has "grown up" and is more mature, trusts his teammates, etc. Which of course never truly happens; he's better than he once was, but that's not saying much.

....and in part because he got their loser asses HUGE ASS CONTRACTS THE LIKES OF WHICH THEY WILL NEVER SEE AGAIN. (also in this category - Vince Carter in Toronto).
vjj

etiolate

« Reply #2234 on: May 30, 2011, 11:43:29 PM »
I find ESPN's NBA page thing on Lebron to be misguided. The people watching for Lebron are casual fans who are interested because they think they should be hyped for the Heat. (Yeah you know it) So its effective hype, but its not really a relationship between the fans and Lebron like I've seen with Kobe or MJ.

I haven't posted about Lebron in awhile because I just don't find him interesting anymore. Yes, he's talented and has a physical advantage over others and stats, etc, but all these things that used to be interesting are less interesting when he's got all-stars/superstars with him. The Heatles make Lebron less majestic because of a guy like Wade. And because he has that talent with him, I had expectations of a very beautiful sort of offense to be played but that never came to be. It's some athletic fast breaks and then some boring, unimaginative half-court play that doesn't really amaze or entertain me.

The Heat winning isn't interesting because of course they should win.

And Lebron as a personality? I think the Decision just overexposed him and then put him in a 'heel' sort of position that he wasn't ready to be. I don't hate Lebron because he was a dick, but I could have if he'd done more with it. For he's been a very boring dick since then, a poor heel, and he gave up being heroic and the in between is boring.

I got bored of the Heat pretty early in the season and I have seen them play this playoffs, but I mostly watch their games for the other team. If I root against the Heat, it is because of how the team was assembled and it is certainly a anti-Heat thing and not a Lebron hatred because he is neither heroic or heel, and the team winning is pretty much expected.

Even nbagaf's hate for Lebron moved on to Derrick Rose. ESPN seems to be the entity obsessed with a storyline they had planned for but their main character isn't as interesting either negatively or positively within the new situation.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2235 on: May 30, 2011, 11:49:18 PM »
That's a whole lot of over analysis for a fucking basketball player

Also Wade has been pretty shit all post-season save the fourth quarter.  It's been Bosh/LeBron all post-season.
püp

etiolate

« Reply #2236 on: May 30, 2011, 11:59:09 PM »
Well my post is equal to the attention ESPN gives to the idea.

Here's what's been interesting: Mavs/Heat rematch. Dirk-mazing. Grizzlies surprising. Bosh redeeming himself of late. Old teams looking done.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2237 on: May 31, 2011, 12:32:14 AM »
That's a whole lot of over analysis for a fucking basketball player

Also Wade has been pretty shit all post-season save the fourth quarter.  It's been Bosh/LeBron all post-season.

Charlie Brooker addressed just this issue yesterday, about soccer players:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/may/30/why-idolise-footballers

Money shot:
It's like living in a world where half of us worship shire horses

vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2238 on: May 31, 2011, 12:49:06 AM »
The Heat have brought out the worst in the sports media.  There's been a ton of moralizing masquerading as analysis, more than usual even.  An athletic competition ain't a parable, guys!

And for all the handwringing about the Heat, Knicks, and Dwight Howard, the imminent demise of all small market teams has been completely overblown.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2239 on: May 31, 2011, 08:58:40 AM »
Wade has had a good playoffs outside of the bulls series. Bosh had a great Bulls series ( 23.2 points and 7.6 rebounds per game, 60 percent shooting and 32-of-33 at the foul line) but had been pretty average before that.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?seasontype=3&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fhollinger%2fstatistics%3fseasontype%3d3

The Heat have had a great playoffs boosted by the fact that they've had 3 of the top 15 players statistically.

The Heat have brought out the worst in the sports media.  There's been a ton of moralizing masquerading as analysis, more than usual even.  An athletic competition ain't a parable, guys!

Agreed. But then's sports "journalism" has always had a strong dose of this hypocrisy.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:02:31 AM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2240 on: May 31, 2011, 01:01:14 PM »
1. What's the potential fatal flaw in the NBA Finals for Dallas?

Tom Haberstroh, Heat Index: The Mavericks can slow down LeBron James or Dwyane Wade, but not both. The Bulls featured two elite wing defenders in Luol Deng and Ronnie Brewer, and even they had trouble keeping Miami's dynamic duo in check -- especially in crunch time. If Tyson Chandler finds himself in foul trouble, this could get ugly fast.

John Krolik, Cavs: The Blog: Speed/Athleticism. The Mavericks are big, they can shoot the lights out and they play smart, but all five of Miami's starters are faster than their Dallas counterparts. (Although I don't know if there would be a "winner" in a Mike Bibby/Jason Kidd footrace.) That could be very tough for Dallas to beat if Miami stays disciplined defensively.

Tim MacMahon, ESPN Dallas: I'll go out on a limb and suggest that perhaps Dwyane Wade and LeBron James could present problems for Dallas. That's especially concerning when Jason Terry and/or Peja Stojakovic are on the court. The Mavs could certainly use Caron Butler in this series, but it's considered an extreme long shot that he'll be cleared to play.

Beckley Mason, Hoopspeak: A lack of team speed. On offense, this won't be too big of an issue because the Mavs move the ball so well and not even Wade is faster than a passed basketball. But defensively, they aren't agile enough to keep bodies in front of both James and Wade.

Sebastian Pruiti, NBAPlaybook.com: Defense. With Butler out, it is hard to find matchups that make sense for Dallas on the defensive end. If Shawn Marion defends LeBron, who matches up with Wade? If Tyson Chandler defends Joel Anthony, Nowitzki is left on Chris Bosh. The Mavericks may be forced to play zone a majority of this series.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. What's the potential fatal flaw in the Finals for Miami?

Tom Haberstroh, Heat Index: Three-point shooting. Sure, the onslaught of 3s from LeBron and Wade in Game 5 of the East finals was etched in our memories because of the timing, but more so because it was unexpected. The Heat's best lineups feature only one 3-point marksman, which is not a recipe for success against a zone.

John Krolik, Cavs: The Blog: Slow starts. The Heat lost a total of three games in three series, but they've taken their time to get themselves going. The Heat are only 6-9 in first quarters these playoffs, but they've been able to count on their defense to keep themselves in the game and take over late. That won't fly with a team that plays offense like Dallas and has Dirk Nowitzki to close out games.

Tim MacMahon, ESPN Dallas: The Mavs have a couple of starting-quality centers, which is two more than the Heat have. The lack of a legitimate big man could finally cost the Heat against Chandler and Brendan Haywood. Chandler averaged a double-double in Dallas' two wins over Miami this season. Miami can't afford to let him get easy alley-oops and generate extra possessions.

Beckley Mason, Hoopspeak.com: Lack of discipline. We know Dallas doesn't give anything away on either end through shoddy game-planning or execution. Miami must fight bad habits like over-rotating on defense and relying on isolations offensively. Otherwise Dallas will feast on open 3-pointers and forced Miami jump shots.

Sebastian Pruiti, NBAPlaybook.com: Pick-and-pop defense. The Heat's hard double off ball screens wasn't just an adjustment for Derrick Rose, it has been something they have been doing all season, including the two games against Dallas during the regular season. If they continue to use this pick-and-pop defense, Nowitzki might have yet another big series.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. What's the biggest X-factor in the Finals for Dallas?

Barea

Tom Haberstroh, Heat Index: J.J. Barea. The Puerto Rican from Miami zips around the court, knows no bounds and can distribute the rock to the second-unit shooters. If you thought Mario Chalmers caused headaches, just wait until you see him try to guard Barea.

John Krolik, Cavs: The Blog: Zone defense. Dallas played more of it than any team in the league this season, and it was effective when they deployed it against Miami. That said, you know that Erik Spolestra, LeBron and Wade are watching tape until their eyes bleed right now and figuring out how to force Dallas to play them straight-up. How much zone Dallas plays and how effective it is will both be interesting to watch in this series.

Tim MacMahon, ESPN Dallas: The Mavs' biggest X-factor has a backwards P tattooed on his face. Never mind DeShawn Stevenson's old beef with LeBron. The Mavs need him to slow down Wade. He shut down Wade during the regular season, holding him to two points in 30 minutes. (Wade scored 42 points in 50 minutes against the Mavs when Stevenson wasn't on the floor.).

Beckley Mason, Hoopspeak.com: Chandler is going to have his hands full protecting the rim from Miami's constant dribble-drive onslaught. He's probably the most important Dallas defender, but he can also contribute some important easy buckets on offense by exploiting Miami's rotations, diving to the hoop and catching at or above the rim. Chandler needs to make the Heat pay for focusing on defending the 3.

Sebastian Pruiti, NBAPlaybook.com: Barea and Terry. These two Mavs off the bench are the primary ball handlers in pick-and-pop situations. If Miami decides to trap the basketball with off-ball screens, they have to make the right decision at a high rate if they want to put themselves and their teammates (mainly Nowitzki) in a position to score.

Anthony
4. What's the biggest X-factor in the Finals for Miami?

Tom Haberstroh, Heat Index: Anthony. If the defensive savant can contain Nowitzki, we could be in for most impactful scoreless performance in Finals history. If he can't, there's no reason to have him out there. That's quite a swing.

John Krolik, Cavs: The Blog: Wade. It feels strange to call one of the league's five best players an "X-factor," but it looked like he might have hit a wall against Chicago. Miami fans have to hope that was just an effect of Chicago's defense, but it was still troublesome. If Wade plays like he did against Boston while James and Bosh play the way they did against Chicago, this could be a short series for Miami. If he stays off his game, Dallas has a great shot to win.

Tim MacMahon, ESPN Dallas: Udonis Haslem did an outstanding job defending Nowitzki in these teams' previous Finals appearance. Haslem will probably be the chairman of the committee the Heat uses on Nowitzki in this series. The problem, according to Haslem, is that Nowitzki no longer has the weaknesses that he exposed in the 2006 Finals.

Beckley Mason, Hoopspeak.com: Expect Dallas to make liberal use of the NBA's best zone in an effort to stymie Miami's wing attack. James Jones, Mike Miller, Chalmers and Bibby -- basically anyone who shoots 3s for the Heat -- will have to be ready and reliable.

Sebastian Pruiti, NBAPlaybook.com: The Mikes. As I mentioned earlier, Dallas may play a lot of zone. What the zone allows Dallas to do is load up against the Big Three and try to get the basketball out of their hands. If Mike Miller and Mike Bibby can knock down these open shots out of the zone, Dallas is going to be in a world of hurt.

5. Who wins the NBA Finals?

Tom Haberstroh, Heat Index: Heat in seven. And the dynasty begins.

John Krolik, Cavs: The Blog: I'm going with the Heat in six. I think these teams are very evenly matched, but the 2-3-2 format is brutal when the underdog is playing a great home team. Miami has has yet to lose at home this postseason, and Dallas will either have to win three games in a row or two games in Miami this series to take home the championship, and I don't think they'll pull it off.

Tim MacMahon, ESPN Dallas: I've believed in the Mavericks all the way -- well, since Game 2 in L.A., at least. The Mavs will win a thrilling Game 7 officiated by Bennett Salvatore and Danny Crawford. The Mavs have exorcised one playoff demon after another during this run. It feels like destiny for Dallas to finish the job -- finally -- by defeating the Heat.

Beckley Mason, Hoopspeak.com: Heat in six. As if the Mavs didn't already have an unbearably grueling task ahead of them, the 2-3-2 game format means the Heat's home-court advantage is even more pronounced. I expect a brilliant coaching duel between Erik Spoelstra and Rick Carlisle, and if Carlisle doesn't win handily, I can't see Miami's talent (three of the top four players in the series) falling short.

Sebastian Pruiti, NBAPlaybook.com: The Dallas Mavericks in six. For the Heat to have success against Dallas' zone, they need to have Miller and Bibby knock down shots and I just don't think that will happen on four separate occasions. Also, Miami's pick-and-pop defense worries me a bit, and I think it will allow Nowitzki to have a high-scoring series.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2011/news/story?page=5-on-5-110531

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2241 on: May 31, 2011, 01:39:03 PM »
Haha, Wade as an "x-factor"

It's Miller or Haslem all the way
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2242 on: May 31, 2011, 04:20:57 PM »
I don't know if I would call them X-factors but two barometers for the series will be Barrea and Bosh. If Bosh plays like he did against the Bulls then I think it will be a pretty easy series for the Heat. If he plays less good that makes it less easy although they still could win.

If Barrea plays like he has all these playoffs that will make it harder on the Heat. If he plays less well that's a very good sign for the heat.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2243 on: May 31, 2011, 05:04:05 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2244 on: May 31, 2011, 05:42:16 PM »
I was listening to Cowherd this afternoon and he said that the pressure was on Dallas to win Game 1 because even if they win Game 1, the Heat still get to play three games at home and three games in Dallas. But if Dallas loses Game 1, then they have to win 4 games and three of them are in Miami.

Brilliant analysis, no wonder they pay him the big bucks!! :bow2 :bow2
©@©™

Beezy

« Reply #2245 on: May 31, 2011, 07:07:58 PM »
 :lol

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2246 on: May 31, 2011, 07:49:38 PM »
He was probably trying to say something pithy about home field advantage in the 2-3-2 format and failed miserably.

Since 1985 when the NBA moved to the 2-3-2 the home field team has won 20 out of 26 NBA finals. He should have just stuck with that.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
Re: NBA Off-season Thread of Luis Scola & Zydrunas Ilgauskas sweepstakes
« Reply #2247 on: May 31, 2011, 09:10:09 PM »
But the Heat have the best shooting guard, the best small forward, and one of the three best powerforwards in the NBA. The only way they don't win rings next year is if one of them gets injured or Wade and Bosh run a train on LeBron's mom.

*coughs

I say Miami won't win the championship, they might reach the eastern conference championship but that's it. I'm talking about their first season of course.

Agreed. Eventually they're going to win, they have six years to win something. Maybe they get 3 championships when all is said and done. But not this upcoming season

lol

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2248 on: May 31, 2011, 09:23:46 PM »
It's kinda amazing how bad Bibby is on offense and defense.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2249 on: May 31, 2011, 09:47:32 PM »
Welcome back Malek. Thanks for reminding me of another of my predictions that will come true soon

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2250 on: May 31, 2011, 09:55:16 PM »
Bibby is by far the Heat's weakest link.  Why he's a starter just baffles me.  Just use LeBron in his place in the starting lineup.  And put in Haslem as a starter.
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2251 on: May 31, 2011, 09:59:51 PM »
Dirk choking right on schedule

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2252 on: May 31, 2011, 10:01:49 PM »
Bibby is by far the Heat's weakest link.  Why he's a starter just baffles me.  Just use LeBron in his place in the starting lineup.  And put in Haslem as a starter.

I think they do need another ball handler on the floor. They just need somebody else doing it other than Bibby next season.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #2253 on: May 31, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
God damn, my streams keep getting taken down :'( anyone got a decent one that's still up?
◕‿◕

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2254 on: May 31, 2011, 10:07:21 PM »
Dirk choking right on schedule

He's doing fine.

The zone is giving Miami trouble. Turning them into a jump shooting team.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2255 on: May 31, 2011, 10:14:45 PM »
That's not necessarily a bad thing.  The zone worked well against them in the Bulls series, and LeBron and Bosh can hit jumpers this post season quite well.  The thing that's hurting Miami after the half, I think, is Dallas' superb ball movement.  The Bulls didn't have this sort of movement.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2256 on: May 31, 2011, 10:15:23 PM »
God damn, my streams keep getting taken down :'( anyone got a decent one that's still up?

http://www.myp2pforum.eu/threads/57004-NBA-Today!-May-31st-Finals-Edition

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2257 on: May 31, 2011, 10:19:17 PM »
That's not necessarily a bad thing.  The zone worked well against them in the Bulls series, and LeBron and Bosh can hit jumpers this post season quite well.  The thing that's hurting Miami after the half, I think, is Dallas' superb ball movement.  The Bulls didn't have this sort of movement.

Well the thing is you just can't swarm at Dallas because unlike chicago their shooters can hit shots. This is a case where I think the Heat would be better off just playing straight man on man defense without all the collapsing on the shooter. It's silly to leave people like Jason Terry and Jason Kidd. Especially kidd who at this stage in his career isn't going to be taking you off the dribble and driving. I think a smart coach would recognize this. We'll see if Spolestra recognizes it.  ::)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2258 on: May 31, 2011, 10:31:42 PM »
So you wouldn't double Dirk?
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2259 on: May 31, 2011, 10:34:25 PM »
why. is. bibby. a. starter.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2260 on: May 31, 2011, 10:36:05 PM »
So you wouldn't double Dirk?

My problem is Miami has one gameplan and they almost never adapt to what is going on in a game. The problem right now isn't Dirk. It's everybody else. And if Dallas proved one thing, its that they have three point shooters. If Dirk gets hot. Then yeah. Double Team him. Or vary it up a little. Double sometimes. Don't double others. But right now what they are doing isn't working. You can't leave shooters to just chase the ball. The Mavs are getting wide open shots on offense. This ain't the bulls.

Or if they are going to keep doing what they are doing they are going to need to close out on shooters a hell of a lot better.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:41:10 PM by Stoney Mason »

etiolate

« Reply #2261 on: May 31, 2011, 10:40:41 PM »
Bibby allows Dallas to play Kidd/Barea backcourt at no cost.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2262 on: May 31, 2011, 10:47:38 PM »
I think when Spoelstra says "Grind" he thinks that's coaching.

etiolate

« Reply #2263 on: May 31, 2011, 10:56:57 PM »
I think he means "flail arms for free throws" when he says grind

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2264 on: May 31, 2011, 11:00:02 PM »
Damn Lebron is hot.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2265 on: May 31, 2011, 11:10:37 PM »
Wade is 6 of 15 again. Not sure why he keeps struggling on offense other than that he is really injured or something but doesn't want to say it so it doesn't get taken advantage of.

And for all my talk about Miami being forced into a jump shooting team they are 10 of 23 fron 3 point range. 44%. It isn't hurting them.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:12:44 PM by Stoney Mason »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2266 on: May 31, 2011, 11:12:59 PM »
Good game so far. Wade must be injured or something

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2267 on: May 31, 2011, 11:32:32 PM »
Miami closing it out like they do. Man they are tough when the game gets down to like 5 minutes or less in the 4th quarter.

naff

« Reply #2268 on: May 31, 2011, 11:34:30 PM »
If Wade's injured he isn't showin it, playin like a boss in these final minutes
◕‿◕

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2269 on: May 31, 2011, 11:37:03 PM »
Bosh has been crap the second half but it looks like it won't matter.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2270 on: May 31, 2011, 11:42:34 PM »
Dallas played it close for most of the game. Miami just executed a lot better in the 4th quarter. That's been their signature this playoffs.

etiolate

« Reply #2271 on: May 31, 2011, 11:43:45 PM »
Bad game from Terry and good ole refs hurt the Mavs.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2272 on: May 31, 2011, 11:45:27 PM »
Bad game from Terry and good ole refs hurt the Mavs.

I knew this excuse would fly up. They got beat plain and simple. They played well. It was close. They got outplayed in the 4th quarter. The "refs" will become the excuse if Miami wins this from certain people as it always does.

etiolate

« Reply #2273 on: May 31, 2011, 11:48:27 PM »
I'm not a coward about refs. They were an issue and there was obvious shift in calls at a certain point in the 3rd that helped Miami get back in it. Dallas had some trouble rebounding, Terry didn't show up. Miami had a pretty horrible half-court offense and Wade struggled for most of the game. These things don't mean the refs are meaningless. Dallas was taking control and the whistles stepped in. It's pretty much formulaic with the NBA playoffs to see that happen.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2274 on: May 31, 2011, 11:49:40 PM »
Damn refs only giving Dallas 8 more FTA's than Miami.

The Heat's defense reminds me of the 90's Bulls, smothering people without having a real rim-protector at center.  For all the crap Spoelstra takes for his personnel decisions, he's got them prepared on defense.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2275 on: May 31, 2011, 11:51:05 PM »
Not even gonna argue with you dude. It's always the same excuse from certain people.

The Mavericks went to the line more in that game. 6 times more. They got called for one more personal foul in that game than the Heat. 22 to 21. But it's a conspiracy. It's stern. It's whatever.

The Heat if they win the title is gonna be so delicious from all the bitter tears.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:53:40 PM by Stoney Mason »

naff

« Reply #2276 on: May 31, 2011, 11:54:42 PM »
Game was played pretty close till the 4th quarter where the Heat clearly closed out the Mavs, Miami outclassed Dallas in that final quarter plain and simple.
◕‿◕

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2277 on: May 31, 2011, 11:56:13 PM »
Good point on defense. These guys don't stand around waiting to run back down the court on offense. They shut you down. Wade's been like that for awhile. Initially LeBron's defensive effort was lacking, but he became a beast relatively quickly.

Mavs looked shook

etiolate

« Reply #2278 on: May 31, 2011, 11:57:26 PM »
The same excuse? It's not an excuse, it's part of analyzing the game honestly. I know its status quo for sports media to bypass it, but the entire 2010 Finals was Phil Jackson and Doc Rivers trying to manipulate the refs to a victory. How the game was called normally determined the winner in that series. It is a major factor in NBA ball and I consider ignoring it to only give you a partial view of the game. People spin this into "focusing on the refs and ignoring everything else" when it is the exact opposite. The only difference being that the refs as factors and other things such as rebounds or defense being factors is that those other things SHOULD be factors. The refs should not.

I wasn't joking earlier. Spoels saying "grind grind don't worry about if the shots go in" is nba-speak for play to the officials. Don't worry about making, worry about getting to the line. It's part of the game.

naff

« Reply #2279 on: June 01, 2011, 12:02:05 AM »
Yeah, drawing fouls is a big part of the game!? That's not what you were arguing, you said the refs consistently made biased calls from the 3rd quarter letting the Heat back on top ::) It's always the refs
◕‿◕