Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519489 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: NBA season thread (Revenge of the Heat)
« Reply #3000 on: December 03, 2011, 11:17:23 PM »
maybe you should cut and paste the Hollinger bit where Prof proves he is essentially the same player as reigning MVP Derrick Rose
vjj

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #3001 on: December 04, 2011, 02:45:38 AM »
The regular season highlighted all the progress that Westbrook has made in turning from a wild, turnover-prone rookie into an All-Star point guard at just 22. The postseason showcased all the work that remains: Westbrook shot 39.4 percent in the playoffs while taking a staggering 20.2 field goal attempts per game; in playoff usage rate he was second only to Chicago's Derrick Rose, and Rose didn't play with a two-time scoring champ.

While Westbrook is a magnet for criticism and Rose appears immune, their games are actually quite similar. Westbrook makes more turnovers but earns them back with more rebounds. In terms of shooting and passing they're extremely similar. In fact, Westbrook's PER (23.63) and Rose's (23.62) couldn't be closer.

The difference is that, aesthetically, Westbrook leaves a lot more to be desired. The end result may be the same, but Westbrook's mistakes are more visibly frustrating -- his shot selection is questionable, he has no in-between game (he was the third-worst shooter in the league from 3 to 9 feet, at just 26.6 percent), and his game comes across as more selfish. If he fixes these shortcomings he's first-team all-world, but last May was pretty rough on the eyes.

Defensively, Westbrook also needs to recommit. Based on his physical skills, he should be awesome. He's plainly not. While Westbrook won't be overpowered by anyone and ranked fourth at his position in steals per minute, his effort needs to be more consistent. Additionally, he's so focused on crashing the boards (first among point guards in offensive rebound rate, second in overall rebound rate) that at times he leaves the backcourt exposed for easy run-outs.

At least Rose has an excuse for taking so many bad shots.
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3002 on: December 04, 2011, 08:29:42 PM »
It occurred to me the other day that the logical endpoint to the LeBron Era would be for him to actually buy an NBA franchise after his current contract runs out (in 3 seasons I think). I'm sure there are some prohibitions against this but they could be fought.

What would be the problem with it? He'd just cut out a lot of middlemen and take all the risk himself. He'd truly be a partner to the NBA, not an employee. He can afford it (he could get the Hornets for $300 mil or so), and if he doesn't have the liquidity, there will be a billion people ready to front him cash. Then he could bring in whoever he wants. Even better, he could call it The LeBrons.
vjj

DJ_Tet

« Reply #3003 on: December 04, 2011, 08:46:20 PM »
Players aren't allowed to be owners, period.  The owners can veto any buyer coming into the NBA and they would certainly not look favorably upon that (as you said, cuts out the 'middle men.)'

Furthermore, the NBA made Magic Johnson sell his stake in the Lakers when he came back into the league.  If the NBA won't bend for Magic no way they bend for Lebron.

He'll have to wait until he retires to get a team.

TIT

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3004 on: December 04, 2011, 09:02:09 PM »
I know they're not allowed under the current rules. But it's all negotiable. Some megastar is going to force this issue eventually. LeBron's career might peak too early (i.e. before the next CBA expires - 6 yrs off, basically) but maybe he'll go for it anyway.

He is by far the biggest draw in the league, with Yao Ming gone. I agree that there would be all sorts of opposition, but I think he has the clout to swing this, and it seems exactly what he wants.
vjj

DJ_Tet

« Reply #3005 on: December 04, 2011, 09:25:44 PM »
None of it is 'negotiable.'  Perhaps you missed the news but the player salaries just got slashed and it wasn't a negotiation.

No owner will approve the sale of the Hornets to a player.  Furthermore, players themselves don't make nearly the money that Jordan made in his career (think he topped $30 mil in NBA salary alone one year.)  Garnett will be the guy who made the most in his career strictly from the NBA, LeBron won't come close to career salary earnings.

He'll have to wait just like MJ did.  It's an interesting idea I just don't think it's feasible at all, even for LeBron. 
TIT

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3006 on: December 04, 2011, 09:38:42 PM »
ooh, you want to patronize me.

Well, Mr student of recent history:

1) The players' salary got 'slashed' because they had a fucking AMAZING deal before this (57% of BRI), sealed at a time when the league was hugely successful. The more successful the league, the more leverage players have, and the more  items get put on the negotiating table. If he wants to put it on the table, he'd have the support of the Union I'm sure (what could be more empowering for their players?).

2) LeBron is making bank - salary is only $16 million but he brings in an estimated FORTY FIVE MILLION in endorsements. Thank you, China. Not that he will ever need to front all that money himself (as I noted). He just needs a controlling interest (which is all Jordan has - he had silent backers as well).
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3007 on: December 04, 2011, 09:42:47 PM »
I think the owners would be dead set against what they'd see as the first step towards a player-owned league, and even if one or two superstars had the money and interest (right at the time when a franchise was available and the CBA was up) there just wouldn't be enough players who cared to make it an important negotiating point for the union.

I would like to see a player-coach in my lifetime, though.  That's on my bucket list of anachronisms, along with a brokered political convention and an arranged royal marriage.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3008 on: December 04, 2011, 09:55:04 PM »
Well, I think a player-owned league would rightly be considered wildly unlikely by everyone. Obviously I am just blue-skying here but even then I can't see a situation where more than a couple of players could pull this kind of deal off.  I bet LeBron would looooooooove to do this though.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3009 on: December 04, 2011, 09:58:45 PM »
Just as an example of what a player with leverage can do:

'In the months following the announcement, the additional terms of Beckham's contract became public knowledge. One unique contract provision was giving him the option of buying an MLS expansion franchise at a fixed price whenever he stopped playing in the league – an allowance that the league's owners had never given to a player before. Another provision was the opt-out clause after the 2009 season, meaning that should he decide so, Beckham was free to leave the club after completing year three of his 5-year contract.[85]'

Yes, after he stopped playing in the league, not during his playing career. But still!
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3010 on: December 04, 2011, 10:30:44 PM »
To be fair, MLS has always been a unique situation where the teams belong to the league itself and being an "owner" means you have a stake in MLS and the operating rights to a particular team.  Plus, with the lack of tradition the league and the sport have in the US, they're typically willing to be a lot more fluid in order to accommodate famous international stars, co-ordinate with the national team, etc.  I don't think there have been player-owners in any of the major European leagues in the last few decades, though I'm not aware of any rules against it in that case.

I guess my main point is that this rule only gets changed in a bargaining session, and I think the paranoia of the owners (if one player can buy a team, what if a roster pooled their resources?) would trump the interest of a tiny handful of players.  I think the recent CBA negotiations show that the players are still vastly more concerned with the more mundane issues of mobility and salaries, especially the rules that affect the large pool of mid-tier players.

DJ_Tet

« Reply #3011 on: December 04, 2011, 10:37:52 PM »
ooh, you want to patronize me.

Well, Mr student of recent history:

1) The players' salary got 'slashed' because they had a fucking AMAZING deal before this (57% of BRI), sealed at a time when the league was hugely successful. The more successful the league, the more leverage players have, and the more  items get put on the negotiating table. If he wants to put it on the table, he'd have the support of the Union I'm sure (what could be more empowering for their players?).

Wasn't patronizing you I was just explaining what was wrong with your theory.  It's fun to think about but it won't work in the NBA (unless things get so bad that even LeBron wouldn't want to own a team, but I digress.)

This point above is completely erroneous.  They did have an amazing deal, but only because they lucked out.  It was actually sealed during a time when ratings were down, and the owners were considered the major winners when the contract was done.  Time proved otherwise because the league ended up making far more than projected (due to a massive talent increase.)

The players won out, they had an awesome season last year as far as ratings and hype.  They had all the leverage in the world.  And they got smoked again in bargaining.

Now, five years from now they still could be looked at as big winners, if the revenues continue going up and the tv contracts go back up.  However, the owners (and players) have an out in 6 years anyway.

No matter who wins, the owners win.  And they really have all the leverage because the players union isn't solid due to turnover year-to-year.  The owners could have sat out a year or two, that would devastate the majority of the player's union.

Bill Simmons nailed it a few days ago when he said the players need to use their leverage DURING the season.  If they went on strike pre-emtively before the Playoffs one year that would have a much bigger impact than anything they were able to negotiate during the summer. 

Also, depending on how old you are you've seen a player-coach in your lifetime Mandark.  Mike Dunleavy played and coached a couple of games for the Milwaukee Bucks.  Think he was the last, but I used to like hearing/reading about the older players that did that too.  Would be cool to see Peyton Manning become his own official OC next year, would be the closest parallel I can think of.

edit:  You said it yourself.  LeBron made $16 mil in salary thanks to an 'AMAZING' deal for the players.  Jordan made twice that 14 years ago.  The player's deal for the star level athletes is the worst among major sports.  How can LeBron mean so much to one team yet he gets paid like a middle reliever in baseball?  Shitty deal (but great for the average players, which make up the majority of the union.)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 10:40:21 PM by DJ_Tet »
TIT

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3012 on: December 04, 2011, 10:40:18 PM »
It's still fun to think about, damn your eyes!

LeBron could pay himself $1 a year, for example, and how much would other stars give up to play on a roster with that kind of advantage?
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3013 on: December 04, 2011, 10:43:33 PM »
The NBA had an amazing season last year but a ton of owners still lost a massive amount of money, leading to a number of franchises having to be abandoned. So the players DIDN'T have leverage - the owners both have more to lose and can afford to wait longer (since they can earn from the NBA for the rest of their lives).  The players did their part in generating lots of excitement but that doesn't mean they had leverage. So of course they got smoked.
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3014 on: December 04, 2011, 10:48:21 PM »
Actually a flamboyant player becoming the owner of his own team sounds like an awesome premise for a terrible comedy starring Brandon T. Jackson (Nick Cannon's too old), with Donald Glover and Bow Wow as his teammates, and Idris Elba as the coach who teaches them that discipline and winning doesn't mean you have to stop having fun.

DJ_Tet

« Reply #3015 on: December 04, 2011, 10:49:25 PM »
The players had as much leverage as they will ever have, was my point.  Unless they strike during a season.

The owners were looked at as the 'bad guys' for canceling the season, don't really see how the players could have much more leverage than that.  No one is feeling sorry for their salaries, even after they got cut.

The owners have 'more to lose?'  The players have EVERYTHING to lose.  This is just a hobby for the majority of the owners.  Do you think Michael Jordan is going to be bankrupt if the Charlotte Bobcats go under?  Or do you think Kemba Walker is going to be hurt more when his checks bounce?

And MJ is one of the 'poor' owners.  Mark Cuban doesn't even bend down to pick up LeBron's checkbook.  Yes some owners lost money but only in terms of their NBA worth.  The majority of owners don't measure themselves by that metric.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 10:52:13 PM by DJ_Tet »
TIT

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3016 on: December 04, 2011, 10:50:42 PM »
The players had as much leverage as they will ever have, was my point.  Unless they strike during a season.

The owners were looked at as the 'bad guys' for canceling the season, don't really see how the players could have much more leverage than that.  No one is feeling sorry for their salaries, even after they got cut.

Simply incorrect, faulty logic here. They had more leverage when the owners were doing well, and thus could afford to give them more. Or rather, they may have had less leverage, but didn't need so much.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3017 on: December 04, 2011, 10:51:25 PM »
Actually a flamboyant player becoming the owner of his own team sounds like an awesome premise for a terrible comedy starring Brandon T. Jackson (Nick Cannon's too old), with Donald Glover and Bow Wow as his teammates, and Idris Elba as the coach who teaches them that discipline and winning doesn't mean you have to stop having fun.

Right? Metta World Peace wins the lottery, buys a team...comedy ensues.
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3018 on: December 04, 2011, 10:57:25 PM »
Yeah, if the owners lose money by holding out, that gives the players more leverage.  In this case, a lot of the owners were making more money the longer they failed to win an agreement.  I don't think it matters in this case, cause the union will only push hard for something that a substantial chunk of its members feel is important.  Of course, the fact that the players were making so much money that the league wasn't profitable maybe shows that they did too well on BRI last time and things got corrected.

Also, in our movie (working title: "Owning Up") Bill Nighy plays the scheming anti-fun owner trying to force our player to give up his stake in the team.  Rosario Dawson or Zoe Saldana plays the educated, grounded marketing VP for the team who isn't buying the player's cocky act, but who is won over by the end of the movie.

pilonv1

« Reply #3019 on: December 05, 2011, 01:14:07 AM »
The players lost any leverage they had by having Hunter and Kessler in charge of their dealings
itm

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #3020 on: December 06, 2011, 01:05:39 PM »
Sources: Lakers eye blockbuster trades

It is no secret that the Los Angeles Lakers would like to trade for Dwight Howard or Chris Paul, but sources with knowledge of the situation say the Lakers actually have something greater in mind: acquiring both players.

Hoping to pull off a pair of blockbuster moves that would rock the NBA, the Lakers are willing to trade anyone on their roster outside of Kobe Bryant to bring Howard and Paul to Los Angeles, two sources said.

Whether the Lakers are able to make it happen remains to be seen, but with stars Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom on the roster, they have the talent and the financial capacity to make the trades work.

The Lakers have had cursory discussions with New Orleans about Paul within the past few days. It is not clear whether they have spoken with Orlando.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak would not comment when asked about the Lakers' intentions to trade for both superstars, but in addressing general trade rumors surrounding his team, he gave the company line, saying the Lakers are happy with their current squad.

"This time of year, there are a lot of rumors going around," Kupchak said in a telephone conversation. "I'm aware of them and I'm not going to comment. Our comments have been pretty consistent -- this group can contend, so we'll just play it out. Nothing is about to happen. It's much too early in the season.

"We don't even have a collective bargaining agreement to refer to."

While Paul's first choice is to join buddies Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire on the New York Knicks, he would sign a long-term contract to stay with the Lakers, according to a source with knowledge of Paul's thinking. And Howard's fondness for Los Angeles is well-known, leaving no doubt that he would commit to the Lakers long-term.

Sources say Paul and Howard have had several conversations with each other about the possibility of playing together on various teams.

Several trade combinations would work for the Lakers. For instance, they could send Gasol to New Orleans for Paul, and Bynum to Orlando for Howard. If the Lakers threw Odom into the trade to Orlando, they could sweeten the offer for the Magic by taking back the contract of Hedo Turkoglu.

"The Lakers are interested in trying to do something for both (Paul and Howard)," a Western Conference executive said. "I would hate to see it happen. I want Howard to stay in the East and Paul to go to the East.

"If it does happen, it'll make things much harder for us."

The Lakers are not the only team in Los Angeles that's thinking big.

Sources say the Clippers also have intentions to go after both Howard and Paul. And like the Lakers, the Clippers are positioned -- financially and talent-wise to make such a move.

Unlike the Lakers, the Clippers would not have to make two trades. They could use their wealth of young talent to trade for either Paul or Howard and then sign the other as a free agent next summer when they'll have enough cap room to offer a maximum-salary contract. The one player the Clippers will not offer in a trade is Blake Griffin.

"The Lakers have company (in going after Howard and Paul)," another Western Conference official said. "The Clippers are doing the same thing."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7321631/sources-los-angeles-lakers-want-dwight-howard-chris-paul

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3021 on: December 06, 2011, 01:28:53 PM »
Chris "LeBron is going to Chicago" Broussard?

DJ_Tet

« Reply #3022 on: December 06, 2011, 02:04:14 PM »
the Lakers are willing to trade anyone on their roster outside of Kobe Bryant to bring Howard and Paul to Los Angeles, two sources said.

lol no shit they would

lol @ comparing the 'stars' Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom to the best center and best PG in the league

gtfo if this comes to fruition, this league is on some stacked bullshit and as a season ticket holder to a 'have-not' I'm afraid I won't be supporting this type of shit
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:05:46 PM by DJ_Tet »
TIT

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #3023 on: December 06, 2011, 02:11:10 PM »

Nowitzki can defeat all super-groups except for Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. Luckily, Steve Nash has been unable to recruit either Delmon Young or Sidney Crosby.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3024 on: December 06, 2011, 02:35:25 PM »
The Lakers benefit from having a big, glamorous hometown, but they also have more trade chips than other teams like the Knicks.  And really, any team giving up Paul or Howard, especially in the last year of their contract, is going to get back less than they give.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3025 on: December 06, 2011, 04:55:29 PM »
In other news, Minnesota is willing to trade anyone on their roster outside of Darko Milicic to get Kobe Bryant and Lebron James.
©@©™

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #3026 on: December 06, 2011, 06:22:45 PM »
I think the news is that Minnesota still has a basketball team.

etiolate

« Reply #3027 on: December 06, 2011, 07:58:53 PM »
Looking at the impacted schedule and factoring in the lack of practice time, I am thinking the 66 games is a mistake.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3028 on: December 06, 2011, 09:40:52 PM »
Griffin and Howard would be the most devastating front line ever, probably. About 5x as athletic as McHale and Parrish. That would be super-fun to watch. Not as keen on the aging-Kobe scenario though. After all these years, I still don't think he'd trust Paul to make all the decisions.
vjj

pilonv1

« Reply #3029 on: December 06, 2011, 09:57:58 PM »
They'd be good, but not even as good as Duncan/Robinson or McHale/Parish in my books. Mainly because they're too young and don't have the skills.

Athletically there's no contest though.
itm

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3030 on: December 06, 2011, 10:17:42 PM »
Griffin/Howard/Paul would certainly be the alley-oopiest team I can think of.  Wouldn't be much room left on ESPN's top plays if that combo got together.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3031 on: December 06, 2011, 10:38:16 PM »
Who knows, maybe Griffin could teach Howard some post moves

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #3032 on: December 08, 2011, 05:23:44 PM »
Some of the recent news

Sources: Three-way trade discussed

By Chris Broussard

The New Orleans Hornets are engaged in trade talks with the Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets about a three-team trade that would send Chris Paul to the Lakers and Pau Gasol to the Rockets, sources said.

The Hornets would receive either Luis Scola or Kevin Martin, and possibly both, as well as draft picks. Houston owns the New York Knicks' first-round pick from 2012, as well as its own.

The Rockets also have young assets to offer New Orleans in players like Chase Budinger, Patrick Patterson and Jordan Hill.

The Hornets would like to trade Paul, an All-Star and U.S. Olympian, before Christmas to avoid the lengthy drama that Carmelo Anthony and the Denver Nuggets went through before he was sent to the New York Knicks last season, sources have told ESPN.com. But the Hornets are also prepared to wait for offers to improve, convinced that they they're getting low-ball proposals from would-be suitors.

Sources previously told ESPN.com that the Lakers have made their willingness to deal forward Gasol for Paul clear to the Hornets, since L.A. is hoping to preserve Andrew Bynum to be the centerpiece of a trade offer for Orlando's Dwight Howard.

As the Knicks were closing in on a deal for Tyson Chandler of the Dallas Mavericks, sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein the Knicks were considering the possibility of sending Amare Stoudemire to the Hornets for Paul, reuiniting him with Chandler.

Caron Butler goes to Clippers

By Ramona Shelburne

Former Dallas Mavericks forward Caron Butler agreed to a three-year, $24 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers Thursday, according to his agent Raymond Brothers.

Butler had also considered San Antonio, New Jersey and Chicago, but ultimately the opportunity to team with Blake Griffin and Eric Gordon in Los Angeles proved too enticing.

"He's very excited to be with Blake," Brothers said. "And very excited to be with a young upcoming team he believes he can help win a championship."

According to another league source, the Spurs offered Butler a four-year, $21 million deal, the full value of their mid-level exception. The Nets went even bigger -- four years and $30 million, according to sources -- but Butler preferred to play in Los Angeles alongside Griffin and Gordon.

The Clippers had pursued both Butler and Detroit forward Tayshaun Prince this week. They only offered Prince a one-year deal, however, according to a league source, and he elected to re-sign with the Pistons on a four-year, $27 million deal, according to ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

Butler played just 29 games last season with the Mavs before rupturing the patellar tendon in his right knee on New Year's Day. He underwent major surgery, and despite exhaustive rehab, was unable to return for Dallas' championship run.

Mavs coaches and front office personnel consistently lauded Butler's effort to return and he believes his right knee is back to 100 percent.

Dallas, however, was reluctant to offer Butler anything more than a one-year contract, an approach the club seems to also be taking with its other free agents.

Josh Howard becomes the top swingman on the market now that Butler has agreed with the Clippers. Howard is considering San Antonio, Denver, New Jersey, Utah, Washington and Chicago, sources tell ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

Tyson Chandler near deal with Knicks

In the latest twist of his expected departure from the Dallas Mavericks, Tyson Chandler is closing in on a deal with the New York Knicks, according to sources close to the process.

"New York is Tyson's first choice," one source told ESPN.com, confirming a Thursday report from CBSSports.com that the Knicks have jumped ahead of the Golden State Warriors in the race to sign Chandler.

"It's 98 percent sure that Tyson is going to wind up with the Knicks."

To create sufficient salary-cap space to sign Chandler, New York is expected to shed the contracts of Chauncey Billups and Ronny Turiaf, through either trades or the forthcoming amnesty clause.

Signing Chandler, sources said, could free up the Knicks to offer star forward Amare Stoudemire to the New Orleans Hornets in a trade scenario for Chris Paul, who badly wants to reunite with Chandler after their time together with the Hornets. Sources say that's one option New York is considering.

CSNBayArea.com reported that the Warriors are trying to sweeten a four-year offer to Chandler valued at $60 million to outbid the Knicks.

The Warriors, sources said, have made Chandler their No. 1 roster target, no matter what happens with their recent trade talks with the Hornets about Paul.

The Mavericks, meanwhile, are fully operating under the premise that Chandler is gone.

Another telling sign that Chandler's time in Dallas has come to an end emerged Thursday, when sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that the Mavericks offered Chandler to the Orlando Magic as part of a proposed sign-and-trade deal for All-Star center Dwight Howard.

No one connected to the Mavericks has said outright that Chandler's time in Dallas is over. But it's now the working assumption in Dallas that Chandler will definitely be leaving the Mavericks -- despite being credited with changing the defensive culture of a team that lost in the first round of the playoffs three times in the previous four years before its 2010-11 championship breakthrough.

Negotiations between the Mavericks and Chandler are essentially frozen, sources said. And any hope of a U-turn has all but evaporated because Dallas is determined to take as much salary-cap space as possible into the summer of 2012, even if that means parting with such an important piece of the first championship in franchise history.

Two sources briefed on the matter used the same words to describe the situation when asked about Chandler by ESPN.com: "He's not coming back."

The Mavericks have taken such a firm negotiating stance with Chandler because they fear that matching the offers for the 29-year-old will not only take them out of the race for 2012 free-agent stars Howard, Deron Williams and Chris Paul, but also prevent them from having the down-the-road financial flexibility to find a younger cornerstone player to team with Dirk Nowitzki as the 33-year-old face of the franchise gets older.

Dallas strongly believes that it will be a finalist for all three of those top stars next summer, since none of them -- no matter where they are this season -- are expected to sign contract extensions, sources close to the situation said. That's because the new labor deal expected to be ratified Thursday by NBA players and owners makes it more advantageous for Howard, Williams and Paul to opt out of their current contracts in July and then proceed to free agency.

The Warriors and Rockets have already met face-to-face with Chandler this week, with sources telling ESPN.com that the 7-footer is likely to sign a four-year deal worth more than $50 million with one of his suitors.

NBA front-office sources say the Mavericks have already begun courting bargain-priced big men, most notably former lottery pick Brandan Wright. Incumbents Brendan Haywood and Ian Mahinmi will obviously get the first crack at Chandler's minutes.

The challenge for the Mavericks in adding depth to their center rotation is getting quality players to take short-term deals to preserve maximum cap space for their summer of 2012 recruiting plans. The Mavericks did try to convince Chandler to accept a one-year deal worth a whopping $20 million, but there was never real hope of that happening, sources said.

As far back as last week, as negotiations with the Mavericks quickly stalled, Chandler told ESPN.com in a phone interview: "I really think I'm going to be on a new team come training camp."

Chandler maintains that staying in Dallas has always been his first choice, but he expressed disappointment last week that communication between the sides was minimal from the end of the NBA Finals in mid-June and the June 30 deadline for a contract extension.

The Mavericks maintain that they were reluctant to talk about an extension before July 1 because no one knew how drastic changes to the NBA's collective bargaining agreement would be at that time.

The best estimates in circulation suggest that the Mavericks would only have roughly $5 million in cap space for the summer of 2012 if they match an offer for Chandler, even if Dallas' other free agents, such as Caron Butler and J.J. Barea, are let go as expected.

To have the needed cap space to bid for a player of Paul's or Williams' caliber if Chandler is retained, Dallas would likely need to set free either backup center Haywood or forward Shawn Marion through the amnesty clause, bid farewell to 2012 free agent-to-be Jason Terry and perhaps even be forced to send away younger prospects like Corey Brewer or Rodrigue Beaubois in trades that bring back no salary.

Chandler, 29, was acquired by the Mavericks in July 2010 in a deal sending Erick Dampier to the Charlotte Bobcats. But Chandler was widely billed at the time as a consolation prize, after Dampier's cap-friendly contract failed to get Dallas in the bidding for the league's marquee free agents -- LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh among them -- through various sign-and-trade offers.

Yet, Chandler wound up meshing with Nowitzki better than anyone anticipated, supplying a blend of length, athleticism, rim protection and vocal leadership that no big man who previously lined up alongside the eventual NBA Finals MVP had ever provided in Dallas.

After missing nearly 70 games over the previous two seasons through injury, Chandler wound up playing in 74 regular season games and finished third in the league's Defensive Player of the Year voting.

In the Western Conference finals, Chandler helped Dallas to a 4-1 series win over the same Oklahoma City Thunder team that traded for him in February 2009 and then rescinded the trade one day later because of concerns about a toe injury.

MIAMI -- Needing to upgrade their bench, the Miami Heat have landed a significant addition in veteran Shane Battier.

Battier announced on his Twitter account Thursday that he plans to sign with the Heat when free agency opens on Friday afternoon. A number of contending teams had been courting Battier over the last few days, including the Orlando Magic and San Antonio Spurs.

The Heat made Battier a priority and met with him in the first hours of Monday, when teams were allowed to speak with players. Battier, who has had a relationship with Heat CEO Nick Arison since he was the team manager while Battier played at Duke, was attracted to the Heat's potential for winning a title.

"The lockout gave me lots of time to consider what was important to me at this stage of my life and career," Battier wrote on Twitter. "Over the last week, I've played out every scenario in my head over and over. It always came back to one thing for me: a winning role."

Battier, 33, averaged 7.6 points and 4.5 rebounds for the Houston Rockets and Memphis Grizzlies last season. Mostly, the Heat were interested in Battier's ability to defend perimeter players and make spot-up 3-pointers that playing with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade will create. Battier shot 38 percent on 3-pointers last season and is a career 39 percent shooter from long range.

According to league executives, Battier was seeking a multiyear contract at a significant portion of the $5 million mid-level exception. It is unclear what his addition means for Mike Miller, who the Heat are considering releasing with their amnesty clause. Miller currently is sidelined after having hernia surgery.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3033 on: December 08, 2011, 05:46:28 PM »
Seems like Dallas-area owners/GMs are really dropping the ball right now.  >:(
dog

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3034 on: December 08, 2011, 06:21:24 PM »
The Hornets have started to inform teams that they're sending Chris Paul to the Lakers for Bynum and Odom, league sources tell Y! Sports.
http://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA/status/144913706302717952

Correction: The proposed deal to the Lakers is Chris Paul for Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom, source says.
https://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA/status/144915833947291649

EDIT:
If rest of deal goes through as proposed, sources tell ESPN that HOU would send Kevin Martin, Luis Scola and Goran Dragic to N.O. for Gasol
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 06:23:15 PM by benjipwns »

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #3035 on: December 08, 2011, 07:17:29 PM »
Fuck the Lakers.  I hope Chris Paul's knees go out before the end of next season. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3036 on: December 08, 2011, 07:32:12 PM »
Still angling to get Dwight Howard too, the bastards! What Kobe wants, Kobe gets...

Could make for a crazy Finals showdown though. CP3 and Kobe being guarded by Wade and LeBron for a series? Come on. Ratings would be nuts.
vjj

pilonv1

« Reply #3037 on: December 08, 2011, 07:32:57 PM »
Ridiculous. I want the lockout back
itm

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3038 on: December 08, 2011, 07:36:39 PM »
Orlando better not trade Howard to the Lakers.  The Magic already got screwed by LA once (Shaq).  Why help them again? 

I still don't get WTF do superstars in their primes wanna come to the Lakers.  They know Kobe is gonna get all the credit.  Everyone in LA will just talk about Kobe's clutchness when he hogs the ball in the last 5 minutes while everyone else does the hard work for the other 45 minutes. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3039 on: December 08, 2011, 07:38:02 PM »

You're a Warriors fan, right?

Hey, it's good for a young team to find out that they've all been on the trading block and not even get Tyson Chandler in return ... ;)
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3040 on: December 08, 2011, 07:39:40 PM »
Orlando better not trade Howard to the Lakers.  The Magic already got screwed by LA once (Shaq).  Why help them again? 

I still don't get WTF do superstars in their primes wanna come to the Lakers.  They know Kobe is gonna get all the credit.  Everyone in LA will just talk about Kobe's clutchness when he hogs the ball in the last 5 minutes while everyone else does the hard work for the other 45 minutes. 

1) different conference
2) Shaq did all right, in terms of publicity and non-basketball income
3) Yeah, Kobe is a problem. But CP3 shares his mindset at least. I can see those two figuring it out. We're all agreed that Paul can make anyone better, right?
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3041 on: December 08, 2011, 07:40:18 PM »
What can the Clippers offer Orlando to get Dwight?  They need to go for broke if they finally want to mean something in this town. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3042 on: December 08, 2011, 07:43:17 PM »
DeAndre Jordan + Eric Gordon would be a pretty solid deal I guess. 

I'd probably prefer Bynum and change if I was the Magic though.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3043 on: December 08, 2011, 07:50:37 PM »
Eric Gordan is a badass talent though.  He's like John Wall with a better shot and more steady D.  The only concern is whether he can stay healthy since he's constantly battling bigger shooting guards. 

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #3044 on: December 08, 2011, 07:52:17 PM »
We're all agreed that Paul can make anyone better, right?

David West would have made two All-Star teams on his own.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3045 on: December 08, 2011, 07:54:11 PM »
3) Yeah, Kobe is a problem. But CP3 shares his mindset at least. I can see those two figuring it out. We're all agreed that Paul can make anyone better, right?

Kobe's mindset is win or lose, I got to be the hero. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3046 on: December 08, 2011, 08:25:16 PM »

Kobe's mindset is win or lose, I got to be the hero. 

That's a point. Kobe is certainly uber-competitive but not in quite the same way as Paul perhaps.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3047 on: December 08, 2011, 08:26:15 PM »
Eric Gordan is a badass talent though.  He's like John Wall with a better shot and more steady D.  The only concern is whether he can stay healthy since he's constantly battling bigger shooting guards. 

He's a mass of muscle though...I agree his injury history is suspect but looking at him, I don't see why he'd necessarily get beat up by taller guards.
vjj

pilonv1

« Reply #3048 on: December 08, 2011, 08:35:01 PM »

You're a Warriors fan, right?

Hey, it's good for a young team to find out that they've all been on the trading block and not even get Tyson Chandler in return ... ;)

I'm not even salty about that, I didn't want to give up Curry.

Just that the Lakers get gifted a player from a team the NBA owns.

And then Stern craps on about "competitive balance". It's disgusting.
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3049 on: December 08, 2011, 08:43:36 PM »
haha

The Lakers are giving up two All-Star big men here. I'd still do the deal in a cocaine heartbeat if I were them, but let's not pretend it's a gift-wrapped present like when they got Gasol. They're still fucked if they have to rely on Bynum to give them major minutes every night.

If they get Howard for Bynum, of course...they're in awesome shape.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3050 on: December 08, 2011, 08:44:30 PM »
Let's also recall that Paul essentially has veto power over any trade. He was always going to end up at one of the premier destinations - either a contender or a big market or both.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3051 on: December 08, 2011, 08:45:51 PM »
Mark Cuban fucked himself pretty bad this year it seems, by holding out for the supposed 'free agent bonanza' next year (Howard, Paul, D-Will). None of those guys will still be on the board by then, it looks like, and he's let Chandler and Butler go so far, and Barea seems headed out too. His best hope now would seem to be bidding high for Nene.
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3052 on: December 08, 2011, 08:52:34 PM »
This deal only strikes me as good (in the short term) if they get Howard. If not, they just traded two all star big men for an all star PG. It's hard to see how this translates into a short term championship move without Howard or another good big man, unless Bynum reaches his potential/stays healthy/is consistent.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3053 on: December 08, 2011, 08:55:44 PM »
Sounds like other NBA owners are as salty about this as pilonv1, and pushing for the league to rescind it. ESPN's Stein says it may not go through.
vjj

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3054 on: December 08, 2011, 08:59:07 PM »
Sounds like other NBA owners are as salty about this as pilonv1, and pushing for the league to rescind it. ESPN's Stein says it may not go through.

lol
dog

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3055 on: December 08, 2011, 09:09:32 PM »
2 huge pieces that didn't help them avoid getting slaughtered by Dirk, JJ Barea and Jason Terry
vjj

benjipwns

« Reply #3056 on: December 08, 2011, 09:09:59 PM »
NBA owners have pushed commissioner David Stern to kill the deal sending Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers, sources tell Y! Sports.
The NBA is now pushing New Orleans GM Dell Demps to pull the plug on the trade and keep Chris Paul, league sources tell Y! Sports
Trade with Lakers will NOT go through Friday and Chris Paul is expected in Hornets camp, according to sources
One source close to the three-team Chris Paul trade talks just told http://ESPN.com : "The deal is off."
This is crazy: Hearing the NBA (owner of New Orleans) vetoed the CP3 trade because it wasn't in the best interests in the league.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3057 on: December 08, 2011, 09:11:31 PM »
I'm not a fan of this move, all I see is Paul and Kobe getting "competitive" and costing some games. And how the fuck are the Lakers going to get Howard after they've already played their two big cards in return? 1st round raft pick? bitch please.

All this smells like Lakers trying to get some young great players before Kobe retires and leaves them high and dry.

Bynum is a very logical trade partner for Howard, although they'll have to add more to make the salaries equivalent (within 150% now...). May still happen.
vjj

pilonv1

« Reply #3058 on: December 08, 2011, 09:12:02 PM »
LOLKERS
itm

benjipwns

« Reply #3059 on: December 08, 2011, 09:12:04 PM »
Totally off now?
The NBA has killed the proposed deal to send Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers, league sources tell Yahoo! Sports.