Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519553 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: The NBA thread (Lin>Tebow)
« Reply #4020 on: February 20, 2012, 09:39:40 PM »
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:41:13 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #4021 on: February 20, 2012, 10:16:32 PM »
D-Will putting a hurtin' on the Knicks as predicted

shit was impressive
AMC

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4022 on: February 20, 2012, 10:18:13 PM »
3rd game in 3 nights and suddenly he perks up!
vjj

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #4023 on: February 20, 2012, 10:27:47 PM »
Lin's line wasn't even all that bad: 21 points (ok 7-18 FG isn't great), 9 assists, 7 rebounds, 4 steals, 3 turnovers(!)
AMC

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4024 on: February 20, 2012, 10:32:34 PM »
didn't have much to do with Lin, I think - If D-Will shoots like that from 3, they're beating more-or-less anybody. Blame Chandler's dumb fouls and the tech, Amare (3 boards ffs) etc before blaming Melo or Lin I say...
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4025 on: February 20, 2012, 10:34:04 PM »
on to Wolves - Nuggets. Man, the Nuggets look TIRED after that tough loss to OKC. Any other good games tonight? Clippers - GSW looks promising.
vjj

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #4026 on: February 20, 2012, 10:54:45 PM »
didn't have much to do with Lin, I think - If D-Will shoots like that from 3, they're beating more-or-less anybody. Blame Chandler's dumb fouls and the tech, Amare (3 boards ffs) etc before blaming Melo or Lin I say...

well I do think Melo was off, but I think saying that for his first game back is different than saying OH MY GOD HE'S RUINED EVERYTHING

but yeah Lin had more than twice as many rebounds as Amare lmao
AMC

Beezy

« Reply #4027 on: February 20, 2012, 11:10:51 PM »
Humphries will get booed in the Garden for the rest of his career.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #4028 on: February 20, 2012, 11:12:36 PM »
Humphries will get booed in the Garden for the rest of his career.

what happened

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4029 on: February 20, 2012, 11:19:04 PM »
he was nasty to a Kardashian or something
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4030 on: February 20, 2012, 11:27:54 PM »

well I do think Melo was off, but I think saying that for his first game back is different than saying OH MY GOD HE'S RUINED EVERYTHING

but yeah Lin had more than twice as many rebounds as Amare lmao

that's fair. I mean, we all know that backlash is coming but like linsanity, it's going to take 5-10 games to make any sense out of it, with all these new inputs. If everything breaks right for the Knicks and synergies (will resist the awful pun) emerge, they're suddenly pretty fuckin' deep. We know who the starters will be, but Baron and JR scoring off the bench with Jeffries and Chandler defending, Novak slamming threes if JR is hurting you...that's a group you could go to war with I think. At the least, they shouldn't be facing the same hideous drop-off as they did before when Lin went to the bench.

Of course it could end up being just a clusterfuck with nobody playing up to expectations. I'd rather see Rick Carlisle running this show than Mike D, I have to say.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4031 on: February 21, 2012, 01:04:58 AM »
Hard to feel sorry for him, really
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4032 on: February 21, 2012, 01:12:59 AM »
Hard to feel sorry for him, really

me either

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4033 on: February 21, 2012, 01:20:58 AM »
Well yeah, he's going to get paid wherever. But he forced his way off a pretty good team in Utah when he could have waited for free agency. He didn't choose to go to the Nets but he did want to be traded so boo hoo, he got traded to a shitty team. He's playing well this year, which is cool and all, but he can't reasonably complain.

Anyway, he's blatantly headed for Dallas next year
vjj

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #4034 on: February 21, 2012, 03:20:55 AM »
fuck off lob city :rock
itm

DJ_Tet

« Reply #4035 on: February 21, 2012, 04:03:42 AM »
Well yeah, he's going to get paid wherever. But he forced his way off a pretty good team in Utah when he could have waited for free agency. He didn't choose to go to the Nets but he did want to be traded so boo hoo, he got traded to a shitty team. He's playing well this year, which is cool and all, but he can't reasonably complain.

Anyway, he's blatantly headed for Dallas next year

Not only that but he basically forced Utah's hand in regards to the coach before he left.  Sloan ended up resigning and Williams still acted a bitch.

New Jersey is probably too good for him, hope they find a way to trade his ass to Toronto.
TIT

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4036 on: February 21, 2012, 04:35:41 AM »
vjj

DJ_Tet

« Reply #4037 on: February 21, 2012, 05:44:42 AM »
No one is arguing his talent but I think it's kind of telling all this talk about how the Nets 'had this one circled' on their calendar.  They are 10-24 and had lost 7 out of 8 since the last game with the Knicks.

Perhaps if Williams had circled a couple of games against the Pistons they could have won those too.

And his talk about how 'all this Lin stuff started on him' kinda rubs me the wrong way.  You don't have anything to do with Linsanity, Deron.  Just because he came off the bench against you and dropped 25 doesn't mean 'you started it.'  Really takes away from what Lin has accomplished imo even if he didn't mean it that way.

TIT

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4038 on: February 21, 2012, 05:57:20 AM »
He did go off in the one Pistons game late, had a four point play followed by two threes just like in this one. 17 points in the fourth.

He knows the team is shit and is putting up a token effort killing time before he heads to Dallas.

DJ_Tet

« Reply #4039 on: February 21, 2012, 06:08:26 AM »
His team may be shit but so are the Pistons and they lost back to back to them while having the 'knicks game circled.'

TIT

benjipwns

« Reply #4040 on: February 21, 2012, 06:18:20 AM »
The Pistons are so terrible they're failing at tanking.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #4041 on: February 21, 2012, 07:16:29 AM »
Jeremy Lin and the New York Knicks’ 104-97 victory over the Dallas Mavericks Sunday gave Walt Disney Co.’s ABC network its third-highest overnight rating for a non- Christmas Day basketball game

The contest was watched in 4.8 percent of U.S. households in the top 56 media markets. The Boston Celtics-Los Angeles Lakers game in January 2011 and a Lakers-Cleveland Cavaliers game in February 2009 both delivered 5.0 overnight ratings, the network said.

Pretty impressive, especially since the game started 10:00 AM WST. Dirk bring in the ratings once again!  :spin

Speaking of Dirk, and I so rarely do, here are his stats for his last ten games (over 17 days): 25.4 PPG, .495 FG%, .421 3P%, 7.1 RPG

The stats aren't impressive on their own, but they are impressive compared to his January stats: 15 PPG, .441 FG%, .212 3P%, 5.8 RPG

That's basically going from '08-'09 Andrea Bargnani to '09-'10 Dirk Nowitzki.

Time to give Odom a conditioning break. I don't care if it last two months.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #4042 on: February 21, 2012, 07:25:42 AM »
The Pistons are so terrible they're failing at tanking.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have failed at tanking since 1967. The Leafs have given away a ton of top-ten picks and of the nineteen they've kept, only one of them turned out to be even a borderline superstar, Darryl Sittler. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4043 on: February 21, 2012, 08:31:34 AM »
It's nice 'cause I'm a Dirk fan, but I really don't see what's so remarkable about this story that it's worth belaboring. All it is is a reversion to the mean. Everybody even remotely connected to basketball has been expecting this, just like they expected the Spurs to quietly sneak up the standings. The only Mavs-related question of interest I have this year is do they have enough to make it out of the West again.

Also, while I freely admit i haven't spent any time watching the Nets this year other than during Linsanity, I've read that Williams has been playing his ass off as usual, just to little fanfare and little result. Like John Wall, he just doesn't have a lot of decent help there.
vjj

benjipwns

« Reply #4044 on: February 21, 2012, 09:17:19 AM »
Williams is playing well, but just from what I've seen mostly from the three Pistons games in two weeks or whatever it was, plus a few minutes of a couple other games like tonight, and it's just my impression but people on GAF and elsewhere have the same one for whatever that's worth, is that he's basically just going out there, doing what he can do and if the game is close he'll step it up but otherwise is content to list along accepting the losses.

You could tell in the Pistons games, he'd get hot and make some good baskets and yet he'd look as bored and dead as the rest of the Nets. When he started going crazy with the threes was the only time anybody on the team seemed to perk up and he still didn't seem entirely invested, like "yeah, yeah, I'm awesome, but this isn't going to mean anything." And even when he wasn't making shots but was with a lineup he liked running with he was pushing it more, willing to try lobs and stuff, but other lineups he was content to just pass it off and let guys get their numbers in defeats.

I think it's really just a factor of how much of a mess the team is. They're 10-24, he steps up and plays as hard as he could all season long would they really be any better than say 14-20? Johnson is still dicking around with lineups as well considering all the injuries they have. From the Pistons games Deron seemed to like being with the younger guys than the DeShawn Stevensons and was a bit more active in trying to get them baskets. But that could be entirely out of curiosity.

Regarding the Lin stuff, it's worth noting that Williams has been asked a ton about Lin because of it "starting" with him to the point a few days ago he basically told reporters to STFU about it as he got a bundle of questions about Lin and none about his game or the Nets. I could understand him saying "I'm tired of talking about this and I'm going to wreck them so it goes away."

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #4045 on: February 21, 2012, 09:33:54 AM »
Has Williams or anyone around him indicated which team he'll sign with next season (assuming he doesn't pick up the player option)?

edit:
Bill Simmons
We're all supposed to pretend this might not happen even though it's a bigger summer lock than Michael Phelps winning a gold medal. I haven't talked to one person "In the Know" who isn't 100 percent convinced that Dallas is getting him.

I guess that means he's signing with the Lakers.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:36:09 AM by Flannel Boy »

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #4046 on: February 21, 2012, 12:25:42 PM »
Didn't catch the Knicks game last night as I was busy and Deron Williams did have an amazing game so its tough to beat a team when a player is on a roll like that.

That being said I also think its going to take awhile for the Knicks to re-gel with Carmelo in the lineup. Basketball is such an interesting sport because it often isn't like baseball where you can just throw a powerful batting lineup out there and it just works. If it took/and still takes that long for Wade and Lebron to play together no reason to suddenly think that all these Knick parts will fit together. Superstars often just need the ball in their hands to be superstars. Take that away from Carmelo and I'm not sure he's the same.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 12:33:37 PM by Stoney Mason »

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #4047 on: February 21, 2012, 03:44:55 PM »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4048 on: February 21, 2012, 06:06:32 PM »
Didn't catch the Knicks game last night as I was busy and Deron Williams did have an amazing game so its tough to beat a team when a player is on a roll like that.

That being said I also think its going to take awhile for the Knicks to re-gel with Carmelo in the lineup. Basketball is such an interesting sport because it often isn't like baseball where you can just throw a powerful batting lineup out there and it just works. If it took/and still takes that long for Wade and Lebron to play together no reason to suddenly think that all these Knick parts will fit together. Superstars often just need the ball in their hands to be superstars. Take that away from Carmelo and I'm not sure he's the same.

The trick is just to get him the ball a lot anyway, but get it to him in the same or better spots using screens and ball movement than he'd get it to himself with iso play. That gives other people opportunities along the way, and gives Melo a chance to play decoy a bit and "rest" occasionally, theoretically giving him more energy to play some semblance of defense. We've seen LeBron play a lot more off the ball this season, and everyone seems to agree that it's devastating. He may just  be more coachable or more talented than Melo of course, but I think their skills are broadly in line....
vjj

etiolate

« Reply #4049 on: February 21, 2012, 06:38:59 PM »
The Pistons, Kings and Warriors are all the same sort of frustrating situation. Tons of draft pick talent, no chance at playoffs, but won't tank so hard as to get a top 3 pick talent. I guess Philly did this for awhile and combined it with some trades to made a deep, well coached team. There's also the chance you end up never going anywhere with all those second tier draft picks, too.

pilonv1

« Reply #4050 on: February 21, 2012, 06:44:54 PM »
Bucks are sort of in that spot too due to injuries. If they were healthy they'd be a playoff team easily.
itm

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4051 on: February 21, 2012, 07:23:17 PM »
We're all supposed to pretend this might not happen even though it's a bigger summer lock than Michael Phelps winning a gold medal. I haven't talked to one person "In the Know" who isn't 100 percent convinced that Dallas is getting him.

I guess that means he's signing with the Lakers.

Haha, sounds about right.
dog

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #4052 on: February 21, 2012, 07:28:29 PM »
It also means Michael Phelps will drown in London.
RIP

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4053 on: February 21, 2012, 07:33:52 PM »
It also means Michael Phelps will drown in London.
RIP

:'(
dog

DJ_Tet

« Reply #4054 on: February 21, 2012, 07:40:13 PM »
The Pistons, Kings and Warriors are all the same sort of frustrating situation. Tons of draft pick talent, no chance at playoffs, but won't tank so hard as to get a top 3 pick talent. I guess Philly did this for awhile and combined it with some trades to made a deep, well coached team. There's also the chance you end up never going anywhere with all those second tier draft picks, too.

Chicago was in that situation too and then they landed the #1 pick anyway.  Never underestimate what Stern might do.
TIT

etiolate

« Reply #4055 on: February 21, 2012, 08:47:39 PM »

Chicago was in that situation too and then they landed the #1 pick anyway.  Never underestimate what Stern might do.

Considering what happened to the Kings when they had the best chance at Blake Griffin, I know all about this.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4056 on: February 21, 2012, 09:11:08 PM »
Do you understand the concept of odds? What is there to bitch about?
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4057 on: February 21, 2012, 11:24:21 PM »
If Linsanity wasn't going on people would be noticing that Lebron and Wade are putting up stupid good stats recently.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4058 on: February 21, 2012, 11:29:29 PM »
oh, I suspect they are very very VERY eager to demonstrate that and will do so in a few days :)
vjj

pilonv1

« Reply #4059 on: February 21, 2012, 11:41:21 PM »
That will be the first time I'll cheer the Heat in years. I feel dirty.
itm

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #4060 on: February 22, 2012, 03:31:37 AM »
sure you did
püp

Fifstar

« Reply #4061 on: February 22, 2012, 05:13:36 AM »
I stopped liking the Heat when Zo left (the first time). Still have a jersey of him.
Gulp

pilonv1

« Reply #4062 on: February 22, 2012, 05:35:48 AM »
I actually liked the Heat when they were just Wade and scrubs.

I used to like the Heat because of Timmy & Zo. I don't have anything against Wade and wouldn't mind him doing well, it's mainly LeBron and Melo I loathe.
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4063 on: February 22, 2012, 05:57:37 AM »
I like Miami. I don't have a problem liking popular things.

And Lebron's fine with me. Never raped anybody. Isn't committing crimes. Good ball player. Has done nothing on a level that warrants me hating him.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4064 on: February 22, 2012, 09:57:34 AM »
And Lebron's fine with me. Never raped anybody.

He raped an entire city. :smug
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4065 on: February 22, 2012, 11:32:53 AM »
They were begging for it.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4066 on: February 22, 2012, 07:42:37 PM »
Knicks - Hawks, who ya got
vjj

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #4067 on: February 22, 2012, 08:53:52 PM »
Damn, didn't expect the Knicks to beat down the Hawks this bad.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4068 on: February 22, 2012, 09:00:20 PM »
the Hawks still look like they don't speak to each other on or off the court
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4069 on: February 22, 2012, 09:01:23 PM »
Great opportunity for the Knicks starters to play around a bit and get comfortable. Melo was looking nervous early but looks his usual relaxed self now...
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4070 on: February 22, 2012, 09:22:41 PM »
Dunno if anyone follows Tom Ziller on twitter, but he had an amazing story about Ricky Rubio today. Apparently a major reason the Kings passed on him was because when he visited Sacto, his mom came out with them to the restaurant and CUT HIS STEAK for him :rofl
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #4071 on: February 22, 2012, 09:26:41 PM »
lmao

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4072 on: February 22, 2012, 09:32:34 PM »
Dunno if anyone follows Tom Ziller on twitter, but he had an amazing story about Ricky Rubio today. Apparently a major reason the Kings passed on him was because when he visited Sacto, his mom came out with them to the restaurant and CUT HIS STEAK for him :rofl

That sounds like a brilliant way to de-qualify yourself from being chosen by a bad organization. I wonder what he does to avoid jury duty

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

etiolate

« Reply #4073 on: February 22, 2012, 09:57:43 PM »

I've heard this story before. There's some idiots like Jerry Reynolds involved in player personnel for the Kings.

pilonv1

« Reply #4074 on: February 22, 2012, 10:17:36 PM »
If he played like Rubio I wouldn't care if he deficated on his plate and rubbed it all over his face.
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4075 on: February 22, 2012, 10:23:04 PM »
It's a weird thing. I mean, Rubio went pro at 14 so presumably is used to life on the road, loose women, booze etc. It would be a weird reason to pass on a player like that, but if you remember the bit in Moneyball where they diss a player for having a '6' for a girlfriend, it doesn't seem impossible.

Also it's just hilarious.
vjj

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #4076 on: February 22, 2012, 11:39:42 PM »
agreed

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #4077 on: February 23, 2012, 12:16:19 AM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4078 on: February 23, 2012, 12:22:07 AM »
dog

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4079 on: February 23, 2012, 03:37:44 AM »
:lol

Any good team would have given up on him a long time ago...he seems unteachable.
vjj