Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519474 times)

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #4140 on: February 25, 2012, 02:27:10 PM »
bahahahaha
AMC

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #4141 on: February 25, 2012, 02:57:27 PM »
 You better not do that again.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4142 on: February 25, 2012, 09:11:29 PM »
:lol

not bothering with any of the All Star stuff, it just annoys me now. Will rely on Stoney for youtube highlights :bow
vjj

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #4143 on: February 25, 2012, 09:14:32 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4144 on: February 25, 2012, 09:58:13 PM »
It's feels like I'm watching playoff basketball already!
©@©™

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #4145 on: February 25, 2012, 10:51:03 PM »
Jeremy Evans just did a two-ball dunk.  Shit's over.
püp

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #4146 on: February 26, 2012, 06:57:40 AM »
I cant remember such a shit all star weekend.

Except maybe last year
itm

ch1nchilla

« Reply #4147 on: February 26, 2012, 07:40:24 AM »
The NBA int'l league pass simply does not work anymore for me or a lot of other people. Interface is garbage, video doesn't even work. Who fucking rolls out a new, untested version mid-season?!

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #4148 on: February 26, 2012, 09:38:18 AM »
Too many shitty gimmicks in the dunk contest but that's par for the course. Just fucking have people dunk the ball. Stop all the gimmicks and props and celebrities.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4149 on: February 26, 2012, 03:21:53 PM »
I'm not going to be happy until some dude dunks with a midget on his shoulders and as he's coming down the midget dunks as well.

Only if they jump out of a Toyota Sienna, which is currently starting at $25k available at your local dealership

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #4150 on: February 26, 2012, 09:15:48 PM »
So did the Nicki Minaje and Pitbull shows overtake the superbowl halftime show as worst of the year?
dur

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #4151 on: February 26, 2012, 10:30:10 PM »
Ye, they were bad but the actual game ended up being damn good.
◕‿◕

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4152 on: February 26, 2012, 11:12:41 PM »
Another Miami Heat choke job. :teehee
dog

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #4153 on: February 26, 2012, 11:35:57 PM »
Best thing about this game is seeing the genuine dislike between Kobe and Lebron/Dwyane.   The media always tries to make it seem like there's genuine mutual respect between those guys but it's obviously BS.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4154 on: February 27, 2012, 08:48:34 AM »
Watched it this morning. Entertaining All-Star game.

Beezy

« Reply #4155 on: February 27, 2012, 11:16:39 AM »

Rman

« Reply #4156 on: February 27, 2012, 02:11:25 PM »
Best thing about this game is seeing the genuine dislike between Kobe and Lebron/Dwyane.   The media always tries to make it seem like there's genuine mutual respect between those guys but it's obviously BS.
Weren't they buddy buddy in the Olympics?

etiolate

« Reply #4157 on: February 27, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
Sam Amick ‏ @sam_amick Close
Kevin Johnson says "framework of an agreement going forward" to keep team in Sacramento. "I want to jump up and down."

Johnson: "It's game over, so our community should be really excited." Maloofs contribute upwards of $70 million. Staffers clapping.

Johnson speaking flanked by David Stern, Maloofs. Joe Maloof now speaking: "It's a great day for Sacramento...Our family is just so excited"

Arena deal DONE. Suck it Anaheim! Socal is dirty, nasty and gross! Thanks for the disney BEEYOCH

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4158 on: February 29, 2012, 06:34:12 PM »
Really looking forward to see how Linsanity will fare against Kyrie Irving tonight.  Despite Lin's success, I kinda feel sorry for him because now he is everyone's favorite target. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4159 on: February 29, 2012, 06:37:49 PM »
Yeah. Someone (maybe Hollinger) said that they're going to be seeing everyone's A-game for the rest of the season, despite being barely a .500 team. Still, it's not like they're going to trade him if he fucks up. He'll likely just get better fast.
vjj

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #4160 on: February 29, 2012, 07:40:18 PM »
Yeah. Someone (maybe Hollinger) said that they're going to be seeing everyone's A-game for the rest of the season

Lin's father will be disappointed with anything less than A+.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4161 on: February 29, 2012, 07:45:03 PM »
Yeah. Someone (maybe Hollinger) said that they're going to be seeing everyone's A-game for the rest of the season

Lin's father will be disappointed with anything less than A+.

vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4162 on: February 29, 2012, 07:59:20 PM »
The Clipper Darrell shit is pretty depressing. Just when you think the Clippers have their act together a little bit...
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4163 on: February 29, 2012, 09:43:07 PM »
WTF Clipper Darrell is one of the main reasons fans go to a Clippers game.  You can't pay someone to cheer with that much enthusiasm.  Clippers should be glad he was doing it for free.  I doubt he was making much money for his public appearances.  Clippers should have just let it slide. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4164 on: February 29, 2012, 10:10:37 PM »
I'm sure he got something out of it (given that he had a website) but you're right, his enthusiasm was genuine and infectious (I saw it first hand!). Clippers org just all fucking class, as usual
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #4165 on: February 29, 2012, 10:15:29 PM »
Lin beasted tonight :o
püp

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4166 on: February 29, 2012, 10:20:24 PM »
On paper, it looks like Lin outplayed Irving by a fairly large margin but were they matched up against each other?

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #4167 on: February 29, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
not sure, didnt see the game
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4168 on: February 29, 2012, 10:28:47 PM »
Irving played great...the Knicks' bench had more to do with it than Lin, really. Novakaine, eases your pain :bow
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4169 on: February 29, 2012, 10:29:12 PM »
Beezy and I live-tweeted most of it btw :lol
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #4170 on: February 29, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
Novak really saved them when they came back from halftime. It was him and Chandler that got the team going.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4171 on: March 01, 2012, 02:25:21 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4172 on: March 01, 2012, 02:11:50 PM »
A lot of rumours out there that the Celtics are heavily shopping Rondo.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #4173 on: March 01, 2012, 02:34:12 PM »
what the shitfuck
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4174 on: March 01, 2012, 05:43:54 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4175 on: March 01, 2012, 10:50:38 PM »
Resurgent NBA’s local ratings up 19 percent

By John Ourand & John Lombardo, Staff Writers

Published February 27, 2012|     
The NBA is experiencing its strongest TV viewership since the Michael Jordan era, with local ratings up 19 percent and four teams more than doubling last year’s local ratings.

The Minnesota Timberwolves (+140 percent), Oklahoma City Thunder (+140 percent), Los Angeles Clippers (+138 percent) and Philadelphia 76ers (+112 percent) have more than doubled their local TV ratings this year, according to Nielsen figures through the middle of the month.

“The fans are happy to have the NBA back and it’s reflected in the ratings,” said Jeff Krolik, executive vice president of Fox Sports Networks, which oversee RSNs that cover three of those four teams. “It’s another example of the power of live sports.”

The numbers are just as good nationally, where ABC, ESPN, TNT and NBA TV are on pace to post their highest NBA game ratings ever. Through four games, ABC is averaging 2.063 million viewers, up 10 percent. Through 21 telecasts, TNT is averaging 2.7 million viewers, up 25 percent from last season. ESPN is averaging 2.063 million viewers through 28 games, up 20 percent. And NBA TV is averaging 352,000 viewers through 52 games, up 52 percent.

The league’s best local ratings story is in New York, where the NBA’s newest star in Knicks guard Jeremy Lin is driving ratings increases to unseen heights at MSG Network. Knicks games on Feb. 17 and Feb. 20, against two of the worst NBA teams in the New Orleans Hornets and New Jersey Nets, became the highest-rated regular-season games on MSG since the network first began tracking ratings during the 1988-89 season.

Both games generated a 7.3 rating (540,788 households), helping the network’s ratings jump 82 percent in the average season-to-date household rating through Feb. 22 compared with the first 27 games on MSG Network last season (2.46 rating vs. 1.35 rating; 181,740 households vs. 101,457 households).

The ratings increase has brought a double-digit increase in advertising rates, with ad revenue also up by more than 10 percent on MSG to date.

“Lin has turbocharged a trend that was already occurring last year,” said Michael Bair, president of MSG Media. “The combination of the Knicks’ surge along with the compelling Lin story has had a profound effect on demand and viewership.”

Bair said MSG’s dispute that kept the RSN dark on Time Warner Cable for the season’s first month and a half helped drive interest in the team.

“There was pent-up demand because we were not on Time Warner and there was a bit of a hangover effect from that,” Bair said.

Strong TV stories are all over the map so far this season. Spurs games on FS Southwest are generating the league’s biggest local ratings (7.94), even though its TV ratings are down 17 percent from last year. Heat games on Sun Sports are a distant second (6.49), but up 29 percent from last year.

Lakers games on FS West draw the biggest local audience, with an average of 258,000 homes tuning into each Lakers game (down 4 percent from last year). Bulls games on Comcast SportsNet Chicago are second, attracting an average of 213,000 homes, which is up 53 percent.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/02/27/Media/NBA-RSNs.aspx#.T0_jDSVKg04.reddit

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4176 on: March 02, 2012, 01:24:18 AM »
The Heat are fucking nasty right now. No Bosh tonight. On the road at Portland.

Lebron
38 pts
11 rebs
6 assists
5 steals

Wade
33 points
10 assists

It wasn't even a game. Heat were in control from beginning to end.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4177 on: March 02, 2012, 01:28:05 AM »
Meanwhile in OKC:

Durant
38 pts
8 rebs
3 assists

Westbrook
29 pts
10 assists
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4178 on: March 02, 2012, 01:50:34 AM »
The problem is Miami has me believing which is a terrible position for me. I'm much more comfortable picking them apart and whining about them.

James and Wade are 1 and 2 in per and have higher per numbers than they did last year. Bosh numbers are nearly identical to last season.

They are number 1 in both Team FG% and Team 3 pt FG%.

They are #6 in defensive FG%

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4179 on: March 02, 2012, 02:05:10 AM »
I'll believe when Lebron finds a way to not fade away in the 4th quarter of the post-season's most important games.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4180 on: March 02, 2012, 02:58:36 AM »
I'll believe when Lebron finds a way to not fade away in the 4th quarter of the post-season's most important games.

herp derp lemme show you some statistics that prove your eyes wrong

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #4181 on: March 02, 2012, 03:19:24 AM »
Says the Pistons fan.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4182 on: March 02, 2012, 03:27:48 AM »
:fbm

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4183 on: March 02, 2012, 03:31:44 AM »
I got called Lebrick James today for missing the game winning shot in a game to 13.  Before that, I was 6 for 8.  That lost shot was the easiest one too as I drove by two people after an offensive rebound and was open at the basket by myself.  Shot just rolled out. 

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4184 on: March 02, 2012, 09:38:18 AM »
More Boston talk: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/jeremy-lin-carmelo-anthony-ny-knicks-developing-chemistry-owner-james-dolan-stay-year-article-1.1031706?localLinksEnabled=false
With the Big Three’s window now shut, Ainge is trying to land Atlanta’s Josh Smith and other young studs, while offering up Kevin Garnett. Paul Pierce and Ray Allen can also be had, for young players and draft picks. Rajon Rondo might be leaving, too, with the Lakers and Utah seen as possible destinations.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4185 on: March 02, 2012, 10:32:23 AM »
Wow, Ainge really is cold-blooded if he has put Pierce on the block. I think it's the smart thing to do of course but wow.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4186 on: March 02, 2012, 01:01:26 PM »
Yeah, Pierce is almost ready to retire anyway.  It's sad if a top 10 Celtic doesn't even get to decide where he's going to retire. 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4187 on: March 02, 2012, 02:27:56 PM »
To be fair Ainge has always made it pretty clear he didn't want a repeat of the Bird, McHale, Parrish, hang on just because we love them thing.

The Celtics window has closed. Time to blow it up.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4188 on: March 02, 2012, 08:40:11 PM »
Yeah, Pierce is almost ready to retire anyway.  It's sad if a top 10 Celtic doesn't even get to decide where he's going to retire. 

I don't think he's anywhere near ready to retire - same draft class as Kobe and Nowitzki, still going as strong relative to those guys as he ever did. He can easily start for the remainder of his contract. The fans will be very very pissed if he is traded, I think, even if it makes sense for the team to do so.

As I said, it is indeed time to blow it up - I just didn't expect to see Pierce's name on the block, or not at this early stage at least (Allen and KG will be let go on July 1 anyway, so it makes sense for them to be the first ones shopped). Pierce has stuck with the team throughout rebuilding before, as much as any player in the Cs history in fact. I think he'd rather do that again rather than go for a coattails championship but I may just be projecting.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4189 on: March 02, 2012, 11:25:13 PM »
Miami stealing one in Utah after being down for nearly the entire game. Lebron hit two clutch long jumpers.

Lebron
Pts:35
FG: 16-24   
Rebs:10
Ast: 6
Blk:3
Turnovers:0

He had zero turnovers in the prior game also.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:28:25 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4190 on: March 02, 2012, 11:31:54 PM »
Huge. Devin Harris just hit a three point play with the and 1.

Utah:99
Miani:98

4 seconds left.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4191 on: March 02, 2012, 11:34:37 PM »
Jazz win. Lebron made the right call and passed to an open Haslem but the headlines tomorrow will read why won't lebron take Clutch shots!

pilonv1

« Reply #4192 on: March 02, 2012, 11:53:10 PM »
He could have gotten to the hoop, only had Jefferson in front of him and no one in the lane.
itm

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4193 on: March 03, 2012, 12:12:24 AM »
LeBron could have driven and forced a foul or pulled up for a shot, I can't defend that pass

Wade must be like "wtf is this dude's problem"

DJ_Tet

« Reply #4194 on: March 03, 2012, 12:30:14 AM »
Didn't see the game but Wade is getting lit up on Twitter by Jason Whitlock.  Said that Wade steals possessions from LeBron when he's hot instead of deferring (I've seen him do this, they shouldn't have to 'take turns' when one of them really has it going.)  Pointed out that Wade had 2 empty possessions in the last five min as well as a turnover.

Wade is a selfish little bitch I can't stand watching him complain it makes me so mad.  Hell of a player but he's a little bitchboy too. 
TIT

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4195 on: March 03, 2012, 12:32:15 AM »
Jazz win. Lebron made the right call and passed to an open Haslem but the headlines tomorrow will read why won't lebron take Clutch shots!

:fbm

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #4196 on: March 03, 2012, 01:23:36 AM »
the "hot hand" is a fallacy anyway

Wade is smarter than most fans, it seems
AMC

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4197 on: March 03, 2012, 01:49:32 AM »
Didn't see the game but Wade is getting lit up on Twitter by Jason Whitlock.  Said that Wade steals possessions from LeBron when he's hot instead of deferring (I've seen him do this, they shouldn't have to 'take turns' when one of them really has it going.)  Pointed out that Wade had 2 empty possessions in the last five min as well as a turnover.

Wade is a selfish little bitch I can't stand watching him complain it makes me so mad.  Hell of a player but he's a little bitchboy too.

typical free market negro

pilonv1

« Reply #4198 on: March 03, 2012, 01:58:19 AM »
the "hot hand" is a fallacy anyway

Wade is smarter than most fans, it seems

It's not a fallacy that LeBron could have gotten a better shot though.
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4199 on: March 03, 2012, 02:04:53 AM »
No-one had much to say about the previous 9 games in which the Heat beat everyone by an avg of 16.5 pts (except the Lin game, that drew people out...). They lose a game by 1 pt and everyone shows up to hate. It's good theater I guess, but it's hard to take casual fans seriously

Damn, people are being way too hard on the clear-cut best player in the league. It's like they didn't see those two ridiculous 3s he made before that pass.

Who are you and what have you done with AWESOME-O
vjj