Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1520654 times)

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #4620 on: March 22, 2012, 12:23:29 AM »
Fisher is still helping the Lakers after they waived him.  Any contender that gives him playing time is automatically worse.

They didn't waive him.  They traded him and he refused to report, and was bought out.

Great job by the head of the NBAPA.  Sets a good example for the league.

That proves my point that Fisher's still a great Laker.  He knows it won't do the Lakers much good to make the Rockets worse. 

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #4621 on: March 22, 2012, 01:13:42 AM »
Odom is also a great Laker.

DJ_Tet

« Reply #4622 on: March 22, 2012, 01:58:47 AM »
Odom and Fisher are both bitches.  Boris Diaw is a bitch too.

NBA sucks.
TIT

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #4625 on: March 22, 2012, 03:02:48 PM »
holy shit  :rofl
地平線

Beezy

« Reply #4626 on: March 22, 2012, 03:46:47 PM »
I'm convinced that he has no real friends. :lol

etiolate

« Reply #4627 on: March 22, 2012, 04:47:34 PM »
I like how it seems he lives in an apartment that a 20 year old best buy employee might inhabit.

Robo

« Reply #4628 on: March 22, 2012, 05:21:04 PM »
Traded to the Nuggets for Nene.

:bow Wizards :bow2
obo

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4629 on: March 22, 2012, 07:25:12 PM »
Did anyone see the end of the Sixers-Knicks? I was sure someone would have had a gif by now. The Sixers were within 3 pts after making a 3 but just gave the ball back to the Knicks without fouling. It was so bizarre. JR Smith had the ball and even HE knew to expect to be fouled but they all just walked away from him, with Doug Collins screaming from mid-court. Otherwise it was a great game, albeit low-scoring.
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #4630 on: March 22, 2012, 09:18:38 PM »
Yeah, that was pretty awkward.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4631 on: March 22, 2012, 10:18:17 PM »
I think the announcers' explanation was that the Sixers forgot they were only down by 3 and still had a slight chance.  In reality, the players probably didn't want to work so hard for a .01% chance of tying the game. 

Beezy

« Reply #4632 on: March 22, 2012, 11:13:41 PM »
I hope the Knicks can keep playing like this. Their schedule gets much harder for the rest of the season starting next week and the Bucks are only like 2 games behind them. Bucks also have a much easier schedule in comparison for the rest of the season.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4633 on: March 23, 2012, 01:12:29 AM »
Vinny Del Negro losing Clippers?
Updated: March 22, 2012, 11:30 PM ET
By Chris Broussard | ESPN The Magazine

With the Los Angeles Clippers in free fall, tensions are high in the club's locker room, most notably in the relationship between coach Vinny Del Negro and his players, according to several sources close to the situation.

"Vinny has lost the team," one source said. "They don't want to play hard for him."

With the Clippers having lost 11 of their past 18 games to turn this once-promising season into a mess, Del Negro's job security would certainly seem to be in jeopardy. As it is, Del Negro is in the final guaranteed season of his contract. The Clippers hold a team option for next season.

Most of the players, according to sources, believe it's time for a change. They cite the uncertainty of Del Negro's rotation as a major problem. With the front office adding several players to the roster throughout this shortened season -- Reggie Evans, Kenyon Martin, Bobby Simmons and Nick Young -- plus Eric Bledsoe's return from injury in February, players' minutes have fluctuated from game to game.

For instance, in one four-game stretch this month, Bledsoe played 6 minutes one game, 16 the next, then 4 minutes, then 17. And while starting at shooting guard, Randy Foye has played 35 minutes on some nights and 14 or 16 on others. This week, he lost his starting job to Young and did not play a minute in Tuesday's loss to Indiana.

Beyond that, players have complained that Del Negro's offensive and defensive schemes are too basic and predictable and they say he plays favorites when handing out criticism, according to the sources. They say while he refuses to harshly criticize stars Chris Paul and Blake Griffin, he does not hold back in jumping on the team's lesser players.

"That's a big problem," one player said. "The best coaches jump on whoever deserves it, no matter who it is."

After beating Miami, Oklahoma City, Orlando and the Los Angeles Lakers en route to a 19-9 start, the Clippers, who have an 11-13 record since Chauncey Billups went down with an Achilles injury, have fallen to the fifth seed in the Western Conference and are just two games ahead of ninth-place Utah.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4634 on: March 23, 2012, 02:30:08 AM »
I played this division III player one on one yesterday: http://tinyurl.com/7qxp4by

Obviously, by his stats, he was just a very average player.  In practice though, he's insanely accurate.  He easily shot at least ninety percent from 3pt range.  His Dirk Nowitzki fadeaway from 15-17 is just as accurate from any angle.  Even with about 18 inches of space, he was able to make his shot in my face.  Guy is almost unstoppable with no help from behind.  The only way to stop him is to be chest to chest with him and make him drive but obviously that doesn't work too well in 1 on 1. 

He still wasn't able to stop my explosive first step and elite elevation though. :smug  I was intimidated at first but after my first basket, I just scored on him at will.  He won 5-3 though, because he had ball first and I was stupid enough to take my shaky J when it was 4-3. 

If a Div III player can be that good a shooter, someone like Steve Nash must be money at 10 ft from NBA 3 during practice. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:31:47 AM by Smooth Groove »

DJ_Tet

« Reply #4635 on: March 23, 2012, 03:25:42 AM »
What I didn't mention about Dwight Howard's warmups was that he was fucking draining the 3s.  I think he made 5 out of 6 from the corner when I was watching him.

Everyone in the NBA can shoot like that in warmups, it's pretty cool to see.

There's the story about Drazen Petrovich (rip) that he nailed 99 out of 103 NBA 3s in a workout once.  That would have been so badass to see.  I bet Dell Curry could do something similar, Glen Rice too.
TIT

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4636 on: March 23, 2012, 03:37:24 AM »
Everyone except Lebron.  :lol

Lebron's my #1 but I'm pretty sure there're plenty of amateur ballers out there who can beat him in HORSE.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4637 on: March 23, 2012, 10:37:12 AM »
I think I've told this story but back when I was a kid, my older sister date a division 1 college basketball player from a crappy team. He was like the second best player on the team and he was amazing. We went out to the park one time and he destroyed fools. I was amazed at his ability. And this dude never even would have got a shot in the NBA. He went overseas for a bit after college but then came bacl and got a regular job. It always impressed me about what the skill level of a real nba player is.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4638 on: March 23, 2012, 12:23:43 PM »
I mean, just look at an elite college player like Melo getting destroyed in the pros. Makes you think.
vjj

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #4639 on: March 23, 2012, 07:50:17 PM »
And then there's alot of NBA elites who were dominated in their college days like Kevin Durant.
UK

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #4640 on: March 23, 2012, 09:20:22 PM »
Knicks are back to normal.
itm

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #4641 on: March 23, 2012, 09:25:43 PM »
Why even play Brian Cardinal?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4642 on: March 24, 2012, 12:23:49 AM »
Celtics had a chance at first place tonight and couldn't do it. Although I think Ray Allen missed the game or something.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #4643 on: March 24, 2012, 12:44:17 AM »
Kevin Love :o

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #4644 on: March 24, 2012, 12:45:32 AM »
And then there's alot of NBA elites who were dominated in their college days like Kevin Durant.

...what?
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4645 on: March 24, 2012, 01:00:18 AM »
I mean, just look at an elite college player like Melo getting destroyed in the pros. Makes you think.

Melo is very talented and good, if anything he clearly isn't a hard worker and hasn't improved teh weaknesses in his game like LeBron and Wade have. His first few seasons in the league were solid. I'd imagine you're trolling though so meh

A better example (at least so far) would be Michael Beasley, who dominated in college as well. He had a decent NCAA tournament run; K State got to the second round and was deestroyyyed by Wisconsin, and while Beasley had a good game overall he got shut down in the second half (and partially ruined my bracket that year god dammit).

He's still young and has time to grow, but he hasn't been nearly as good as I assumed he'd be.

DJ_Tet

« Reply #4646 on: March 24, 2012, 01:13:20 AM »
Surely he was being sarcastic there, I just can't figure out the whole post.

Beasley would be a decent example but much better would be JJ Redick or Tyler Hansbrough.  No one said that college dominance = NBA success.

All I said was that Durant's one year of CBB does not go down as one of the great college careers of all time.

On that note, neither does Carmelo Anthony's.  I could list 20 guys who had a better 'college career' than Anthony.  Probably way more.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 01:16:25 AM by DJ_Tet »
TIT

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #4647 on: March 24, 2012, 05:35:38 AM »
that game was amazing.  minnesota is gonna be amazing in the nest two years
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4648 on: March 24, 2012, 08:36:41 AM »
Wolves - OKC was a classic, pity fucking League Pass spoils it for you now by listing the overtimes (even with scores disabled)
vjj

pilonv1

« Reply #4649 on: March 24, 2012, 08:42:50 AM »
They did that before the redesign too. Fucking infuriating stuff, I've emailed them constantly about it and they won't change it.
itm

DJ_Tet

« Reply #4650 on: March 24, 2012, 12:49:33 PM »
Does League Pass let you watch games on demand?  Or did you dvr that game?  I don't follow you, never had League Pass.
TIT

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4651 on: March 24, 2012, 09:27:39 PM »
Yeah, LP has all the games for the entire season on demand. Very handy if you decide to, say, watch every Linsanity game.

I never noticed the OT notification before, god knows I've watched dozens of OT games on it.
vjj

DJ_Tet

« Reply #4652 on: March 24, 2012, 10:08:58 PM »
Yeah, LP has all the games for the entire season on demand. Very handy if you decide to, say, watch every Linsanity game.

I never noticed the OT notification before, god knows I've watched dozens of OT games on it.

wow...that's awesome as hell

Does that include in-market games that were blacked out when they were live?

That's a total game changer for me, the on-demand games, I'm not sure why I didn't know that.  Hell, for in-market games that are blacked out I don't mind waiting a few hours, I can avoid scores pretty well nowadays.

Since we're ranting about spoilers, when I go to Bobcats games in March they think it's their duty to put up scores from the ACC Tournament and NCAA Tournament games.  It's beyond infuriating.

We're in the era of DVRs, most people who bother going to Bobcats games I have to assume are diehard basketball fans, and as such in this area likely root for either UNC, Duke or NCST as well.  I know when my team is playing at the same time as a Bobcats game I set my DVR and watch the game when I get home.

But they put the scores of the most important games up on the big screen during breaks.  Last night they put the UNC-Ohio score up twice, the second time going so far to say it over the PA system.

In addition to DVRs, most people have these things called smartphones.  They can use them to access all sorts of things online, like say, basketball scores in real time.

I don't know why they insist on ruining scores for people who probably are just like me, but they do it year after year.  I know people who skip Bobcats games in March because of this practice, it's maddening.
TIT

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #4653 on: March 24, 2012, 10:23:30 PM »
OT :/

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #4654 on: March 24, 2012, 10:46:04 PM »
backcourt violation? OMGMAVS

pilonv1

« Reply #4655 on: March 25, 2012, 03:27:21 AM »
fuck you Kings :(
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4656 on: March 25, 2012, 09:16:12 AM »
Miami at OKC tonight.

In preperation my brother came over and we played the exact same matchup on NBA 2k12.

I was the Heat. I lost.

:'(

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4657 on: March 25, 2012, 09:30:48 AM »
lulz. I was looking at stats and noticed again how poorly Carmelo is performing this year. And even more worrying is that he hasn't gotten any better since the coaching change.

His FG% for the year .399
For the last 10 games .393

Amare by comparison has been turning it up. His FG% for the year is .477 which is way below his career numbers but much better than where it was early in the year when it was in the low 40's. Over the last 10. A nice .589

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #4658 on: March 25, 2012, 09:39:29 AM »

...what?

Was a call back to the earlier discussion. :P
UK

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4659 on: March 25, 2012, 12:16:02 PM »
Melo took a 15 footer against the Pistons that was off by like a foot. Just mystifying. He looks as baffled and frustrated as anyone, which suggests it is mental rather than physical. He hustled pretty well though - it was still worth having him out there. But forget about matching him against LeBron or Durant, he's not in their league this year at all. Could be just the pressure of being the savior in NY is getting to him.

In the meantime, Lin continues to quietly cement his hold on the team by feeding everyone the ball where they can do something with it, and romping into the paint for FTs or lay-ups.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4660 on: March 25, 2012, 06:09:37 PM »
Man the bulls are impressive. A really likable squad and they fucking play hard every night. It would kinda be a shame if they don't win a title this year.

Easily the best record in the league and they are 12-4 without their best player. That team does not take nights off.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #4661 on: March 25, 2012, 06:45:25 PM »

...what?

Was a call back to the earlier discussion. :P

Oh, ok, I wasn't sure how serious you were.  8)
AMC

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4662 on: March 25, 2012, 08:08:34 PM »
Heat - OKC tonight, could be a cracker. Someone just tweeted that LeBron is holding opponents to 19% FG on isolations, making him officially the best one-on-one defender in the league. Let's see what KD can do then.
vjj

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4663 on: March 25, 2012, 09:15:32 PM »
Let's see what KD can do then.

Looks like quite a bit, so far: 8-10, 18 points
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4664 on: March 25, 2012, 09:57:53 PM »
Wade  :o

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4665 on: March 25, 2012, 10:19:07 PM »
Why can't the Heat PGs play every game like they're going against Jeremy Lin? 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4666 on: March 25, 2012, 10:29:48 PM »
shitty game, turned it off awhile ago

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4667 on: March 25, 2012, 10:30:45 PM »
Awesome game.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4668 on: March 25, 2012, 10:32:26 PM »
Not surprising. I've often seen Miami struggle on the road in big games and barely seem to show up. It's why I have a hard time trusting them this year. Like when they got beat by the bulls a few weeks earlier without Derrick Rose.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:36:07 PM by Stoney Mason »

DJ_Tet

« Reply #4669 on: March 25, 2012, 10:38:43 PM »

Wade doing what he does best, being a bitch  :lol
TIT

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4670 on: March 25, 2012, 11:54:08 PM »
Impressive win for the Thunder, looked comfortable all the way even after double OT the night before (both home games but still).
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4671 on: March 26, 2012, 12:42:43 AM »
Nice win/game for the Grizz. This could be a first round match-up in the western conference.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4672 on: March 26, 2012, 02:51:56 AM »
Mike Brown took a bit of a shot at Kobe by sitting him late...maybe he's beginning to grow a pair.
vjj

pilonv1

« Reply #4673 on: March 26, 2012, 05:09:51 AM »

I'm all in with JENKSANITY :hyper
itm

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4674 on: March 26, 2012, 04:59:14 PM »
©@©™

Lovingsteam

• Never go full nintard.
« Reply #4675 on: March 26, 2012, 05:29:37 PM »
So happy to have COTY Mike Brown with the Lakers. So fantastically superb.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4676 on: March 26, 2012, 06:11:25 PM »
Bucks at NY tonight in a battle for that 8th playoff slot.

pilonv1

« Reply #4677 on: March 26, 2012, 06:49:17 PM »
No Amare, no Lin, no JR Smith, Melo starting at the 4.

Ellis will get 40 and Ersan/Udoh will contain Melo
itm

Beezy

« Reply #4678 on: March 26, 2012, 07:38:40 PM »
Why is JR out? UGH
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 07:41:48 PM by Beezy »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4679 on: March 26, 2012, 07:43:09 PM »
vjj