Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519476 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
have you never seen a basketball game Brand New - that's a guaranteed 2 points for ANYBODY in that situation
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
oh.

i'm distinguished mentally-challenged  :lol
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
also LeBron was driving like crazy in the 1st quarter
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
this is fucking crazy, Thunder - Celtics finals on the cards :lol
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
lol at KG dragging Pietrus into the huddle.

Come on dude, you're guarding LeBron in a tight game, focus
vjj

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
lmao @ the kid yelling "good job, good effort!"

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
goddamit.

I sincerely hope the Heat step the fuck up in Boston.
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
GET IN

that was a fucking TRIP
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
we could be in for an all-time KG presser here
vjj

bachikarn

goddamnit miami

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Riley better start planning for next season. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
vjj

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
:rofl :rofl :rofl

miami

THE BEST JESUS CHRIST SPORTS FUCKING OWN

:lol :lol :lol :lol
AMC

Phoenix Dark

RIP Miami. Another LeBron disappearance act

Smooth Groove

LBJ: I'm bringing my disappearing act to the Orlando Magic!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
  :fbm
[close]

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
GOOD JON GOOD EFFORT
itm

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

The kid is already in talks to become the new coach of the Miami Heat
slevick47 11 minutes ago 45 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
I think this one is more on Wade than on LeBron. He disappeared early and often, and the jogging back on D was inexcusable in a game like this. He looked perfectly healthy on offense.

That said, LeBron sure could have done more. Far too much spotting up in the 4th.

Basically, as of the Conf Finals, the playoffs have stopped making sense to anybody and I love it. We could see a game 7 in both. Anything could still happen here.
vjj

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Too bad the league is rigging this series to favor the Celtics. I hate Stern!

Remember what I said about a certain poster who only seems to pop up when the narrative fits what he already wants to post about.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: The NBA thread (Playoffs edition - Like a Bosh)
« Reply #5960 on: June 05, 2012, 11:51:20 PM »
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5961 on: June 05, 2012, 11:55:17 PM »
NO KG BOO
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5962 on: June 06, 2012, 12:15:32 AM »
vjj

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #5963 on: June 06, 2012, 12:30:58 AM »
I'm rooting for Spurs-Celts with a snore-fest Spurs win in 4 or 5, anything to make David Stern's life miserable.
yar

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5964 on: June 06, 2012, 12:35:03 AM »
Thunder - Celtics would set up the most cliche-ridden announcing of all time I think.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #5965 on: June 06, 2012, 12:39:51 AM »
I was going to make a longish post about Spolestra again. But what's the point. I've made dozens of those.

What's weird about this series is that compared to the Mavericks, who I really did think were the better team at a certain point in that series, its harder for me to reconcile the celtics beating the heat for some reason because I intellectually feel this shouldn't be happening.

In that sense its far worse than last season. Last season was disappointing because like most people I buried my head in the sand all year despite what my eyes were telling me. This season I know all the flaws but they still should be able to beat the Celtics. The fact that they seem unable to is a failure on so many fronts. There would be less shame in losing to the Spurs or the The Thunder because you could just say those are better teams. When you are losing to the Celtics, the way they are, it says something more about character, and pressure, and coaching and structural flaws about how you respond to such things. My new theory is that Wade is too selfish, and Lebron is too passive to ever take this team to where it needs to go.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:41:30 AM by Stoney Mason »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5966 on: June 06, 2012, 12:50:14 AM »
You have to figure that most any team would trade for LeBron except a couple maybe, but who would take Wade and what could they get for him? The Knicks for Chandler?

Can they even trade Wade since he won the franchise its ring?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5967 on: June 06, 2012, 12:53:12 AM »
I think most of the problem is that Bosh got hurt, really. There are other legit issues, yes - they got far too confused by Boston's defensive shenanigans (going in and out of zone). LeBron was gassed (or scared) in the 4th. Wade was lazy on D. But basically add Bosh back for all 5 games and the Heat would be up by now for sure.
vjj

etiolate

Remember what I said about a certain poster who only seems to pop up when the narrative fits what he already wants to post about.

Remember when I said I wasn't watching the playoffs anymore

Smooth Groove

« Reply #5969 on: June 06, 2012, 02:00:08 AM »
Even as the #1 Lebron fan here, I've to admit that he's just not quite himself when the game gets tight.  You can tell he was rushing.  Good things hardly ever happen when you start playing outside of your usual rhythm. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5970 on: June 06, 2012, 02:12:23 AM »
Highest FG pct in Clutch
This Postseason, Min. 10 FGA
FG   FG pct
Paul Pierce   12-19   63.2
Kevin Durant   12-20   60.0
Chris Paul   8-15   53.3
Rajon Rondo   16-31   51.6
Andrew Bynum   5-10   50.0
>>Clutch: Last 5:00 of
4th Qtr/OT, +/- 5 Pts

The Celtics’ clutch factor can largely be attributed this postseason to Pierce and Rajon Rondo. Pierce is 12-for-19 (63.2 percent) in the final five minutes of five-point games this postseason, the highest field goal percentage of any player who has attempted at least 10 clutch shots.

No player has made more clutch shots this postseason than Rondo, who is 16-for-31. On those same shot attempts, LeBron is just 6-for-19 (31.6 percent) and Wade is 8-for-20 (40 percent).

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/44879/celtics-are-clutch-down-the-stretch

Rondo + Pierce :bow
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #5971 on: June 06, 2012, 03:18:14 AM »
LOL Stats

Where's the greatest clutch player of our time? 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5972 on: June 06, 2012, 03:56:42 AM »
Rondo was 3-15 tonight of course, Allen 2-9. But it was won with defense, not offense.
vjj

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #5973 on: June 06, 2012, 07:51:16 AM »

Remember when I said I wasn't watching the playoffs anymore

yeah that was a great decision ::)
AMC

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5974 on: June 06, 2012, 07:57:24 AM »
:lol

he doesn't need to watch, the narrative was forged in the Age of the Vanir by Sauron Himself
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #5975 on: June 06, 2012, 12:13:01 PM »
Even as the #1 Lebron fan here, I've to admit that he's just not quite himself when the game gets tight.  You can tell he was rushing.  Good things hardly ever happen when you start playing outside of your usual rhythm.

Lebron has a very hard time driving late in the game and getting a good shot because he's too big and not an amazing ball handler. I mean he's good for his size but its much more difficult for a 6-8 built like a train dude  to go driving through the teeth of a defense late in the game when everybody is locked in on stopping that one thing and little dudes with fast hands are trying to strip the ball away.

Which then leaves him to either take a sketchy jumper or pass. He's got such flak on his jumper that I think he's a bit intimidated at this point to take them.

Note this generally only becomes an issue against elite defenses or elite defensive players but at this stage that's what you are facing when you go deep in the playoffs.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:15:00 PM by Stoney Mason »

« Reply #5976 on: June 06, 2012, 01:43:53 PM »
Are the Thunder dead yet?
野球

Phoenix Dark

Stoney Mason

« Reply #5979 on: June 06, 2012, 05:47:33 PM »
In 1998, Larry Bird coached Michael Jordan in the All-Star Game at Madison Square Garden. The next year he published a book with Jackie MacMullan called "Bird Watching: On Playing and Coaching the Game I Love."

More than a dozen years after the fact, allow me to point out the book is fascinating and fun to read, and includes this anecdote from the "Space Jam" set:
The movie people really took care of us. They had this big room in the hotel filled with food, drinks, anything you wanted. One cooler had beer, another had soda, another had sandwiches. And then there was this big cooler marked MICHAEL ONLY.

You weren't supposed to touch that one, because it was all Michael Jordan's special stuff they flew in just for him. So one day Bill Murray and I are sitting in there, and I go over to Michael's cooler and lift up the lid.

There was this girl there, and her only job was to make sure everything was just right for Michael Jordan, and she starts yelling at me, "Larry, you can't go in there!" I said, "What are you talking about? That's bull. Everyone here is family." She was getting all nervous and said,"No, no. Those are all the things Michael told me he wanted, and if you take something out of there, Michael won't be able to have it, and we just can't let that happen!"

Bill Murray is laughing the whole time listening to this, because whenever Michael walked into the room he always went to one of the other coolers and pulled something out, just like the rest of us. He hardly ever opened his own cooler.

Anyhow, I waited until the girl left, then I reached in and started grabbing stuff out of Michael's cooler and throwing it out to the crew, all over the set. I threw it everywhere! Gatorade bottles, some special drink he liked, candy bars ... She was so mad at me.

For the rest of our stay, every time I went by that cooler I took something out.

:lol

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5980 on: June 06, 2012, 08:06:48 PM »
The Prof takes his lumps a bit here, in respect to Thunder-Spurs.

The best explanation I saw for the Celtics' success was a one-word tweet last night: TEEEBBBOOOOOWWWW

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Welcome to the West finals, where up is down, left is right and white is black. Everything we thought coming in has been turned completely upside-down, and now Oklahoma City stands on the brink of the Western Conference title.

The signature moment of how everything in the Thunder-Spurs series has been flipped on its head came in the second quarter of Game 5, when Oklahoma City put in little-used Daequan Cook to steal a few minutes of rest for the starters and he promptly made three straight jumpers, two of them 3-pointers.

Here were the Thunder, using precision passing and shooting to get wide-open shots for their role players, and the role players were knocking them down.

You know, just like the Spurs were supposed to do to the Thunder.

Western Conference Playoffs
Get all the news and commentary on the Spurs-Thunder matchup on ESPN.com's matchup page.

• Predictions: Simulator | SportsNation
• More: TrueHoop | Schedule | Bracket

The facts of this series are that every advantage for San Antonio has instead become a disadvantage, and the things that were supposed to be Oklahoma City's advantages haven't really worked out that way.

Take turnovers, for instance. The Thunder had the league's worst percentage in the regular season, with turnovers on 17 percent of their possessions, while the Spurs were at the other end of the spectrum, ranking second with miscues on only 14.2 percent of possessions. Both teams were near the bottom in forcing turnovers, so the turnover battle figured to favor the Spurs by about three possessions per game.

In reality, the Spurs are flinging the ball all over the gym, with 83 turnovers in the five games compared to just 59 for the supposedly younger and wilder Thunder. On a per-game basis, this is a massive swing -- we expected San Antonio to be plus-3, and instead the Thunder are plus-5. Eight possessions per game, especially the way these teams are shooting, is death -- a nearly nine-point swing. It's the difference between Oklahoma City and Toronto, basically, or between Miami and Golden State.

The other end of the spectrum shows similar results. The pass-happy Spurs were supposed to dissect the undisciplined Thunder with ball movement; San Antonio assisted on 58.5 percent of its regular-season baskets, putting it above the league average, while the Thunder were dead last at 49.7 percent. Moreover, the Spurs led the league defensively by permitting assists on just 51.4 percent of opponent makes.

With the worst assist team playing the best assist defense, you'd figure the Thunder would be iso-ing themselves to oblivion. Instead, they have more assists than the Spurs in the series, with a robust 55.6 percent of their field goals coming with a dime.

Or consider the pace. I wrote after Game 3 that the Thunder needed to play slower in order to beat San Antonio, since the Spurs were basically invincible in up-tempo games. Not in Game 5 they weren't. That game was crazy fast (102 possessions per side, with virtually no pace-fattening intentional fouls) and the Thunder won anyway. Not supposed to happen.

Look deeper and you'll see the Thunder have swallowed up the Spurs' running game; San Antonio averaged 13.1 fast-break points per game in the regular season but are getting only 8.6 this series, while the Thunder have been unaffected, sitting right at their season average of 16.1 per game. Their advantage is nearly double -- 83 to 43.

But let's get back to Cook again, because the signature difference between expectations and reality in this series is the fact that the Thunder's role players are just destroying San Antonio's. Roster spots 4 through 13 were supposed to be the Spurs' domain, offsetting the star power of the Thunder's young guns, but it hasn't worked out that way.

For the Thunder, Derek Fisher is the only reserve to play poorly, shooting 33.3 percent for the series. Otherwise? Check it out:

•  Serge Ibaka is blocking shots, to nobody's surprise, but also knocking down midrange jumpers left and right -- most notably when he went 11-of-11 in Game 4.

•  Kendrick Perkins, though still obscenely turnover-prone, has largely shut down Tim Duncan's post game and has been just enough of an offensive threat (8.9 points per 40 minutes) to command attention.

•  Nick Collison is shooting 75 percent, averaging nearly a steal every 12 minutes, and has taken an estimated 483 charges.

•  Thabo Sefolosha owned Game 3, and for the series is averaging 12.4 points, 7.0 rebounds and 3.4 steals per 40 minutes -- all major improvements on his regular season output.

•  And Cook, obviously, went nuts in his Game 5 cameo.

This wasn't supposed to happen. Fisher, Cook, Sefolosha and Perkins all had single-digit PERs in the regular season, with Fisher's a ghastly 5.9 in 20 games with the Thunder; Collision hit a more respectable 12.1, but only Ibaka was above the league average.

Meanwhile, it's been the exact opposite for San Antonio. While Manu Ginobili has been mostly brilliant and Tony Parker has outplayed Russell Westbrook, the Spurs' bench hasn't delivered. In particular, San Antonio's second unit has been completely eviscerated on defense, mostly by the players mentioned above.

Just look at the team's defensive efficiency, using the NBA.com advanced stats tool. When Duncan, Parker, Boris Diaw or Danny Green are on the court, the Spurs' defensive efficiency is in the low 100s, which is more than enough to win. But the subs? Yuck. With Matt Bonner, it's 114.9. With Stephen Jackson, it's 117.7. With Gary Neal, it's 124.8. And with Tiago Splitter, it's an unspeakable 129.4.

The Spurs might be able to overcome this if they could make the Thunder pay at the other end, but they mostly haven't. The only San Antonio role players to score effectively have been Jackson and Kawhi Leonard.

Otherwise:

•  Gary Neal is showing the downside to Bill Simmons's "irrational confidence guy," helping shoot the Spurs to a Game 1 win but raining bricks since; Neal is at 37.5 percent for the series.

•  Danny Green is at 26.7 percent and is just 4-of-22 on his trademark 3-pointers.

•  Matt Bonner has made one shot the entire series. One.

•  Splitter's otherwise effective play has been neutralized by his inability to make foul shots and the Thunder's resulting zest for fouling him. He's just 9-of-23 at the line for the series.

This isn't the lone reason the Spurs trail, of course; there's also the fact that Kevin Durant has been brilliant, and Duncan largely hasn't (42.6 percent from the floor), and that Harden has matched Ginobili shot for shot without the turnovers.

But mostly, the reason the Thunder are up 3-2 is because they've had the advantage in areas that figured to be a huge edge for the Spurs. San Antonio has to take better care of the ball, find shots for its role players, and have those players perform. For a 40-game stretch, the Spurs did all those things as well as any team in history. But for the past three games, the Thunder have done them far more effectively.
[close]
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5981 on: June 06, 2012, 08:35:13 PM »
I'm so tired of the ininite loop of Doom v Partial Doom that dominates the Heat narrative. Same shit happened during the Pacers series with various people proclaiming the demise of the Heat, blow up the team, trade everyone, etc. And if the Heat come back and win the media the cycle will move on to "the Heat made an epic comeback, but how good are they really?" It's just an infinite loop of ESPN milking the team's popularity/hype for attention and it's played the fuck out.

I was watching a clip just now of Tim Legler giving the Heat a 1-3 out of 10 chance of winning tomorrow. Seriously? Lemme dust off the Nastradarkmas hat and make my prediction right now: Heat win tomorrow . Bosh will play more and should through KG off just enough.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5982 on: June 06, 2012, 09:06:24 PM »
The Celtics have a terrible record in those situations actually. I fully expect them to lose badly at home, then for game 7 in Miami to be a coin-flip
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5983 on: June 06, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
god, Reggie Miller

just sayin'

So tired of his shit
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5984 on: June 06, 2012, 09:12:48 PM »
god, Reggie Miller

just sayin'

So tired of his shit
whats he saying

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5985 on: June 06, 2012, 09:26:22 PM »
The Spurs are back, Stephen Jackson making love to pressure
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #5986 on: June 06, 2012, 09:27:56 PM »
It's not hard to win 6 on 4.  Thunder Killa aka Derek Fisher is having a huge impact so far. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5987 on: June 06, 2012, 09:35:40 PM »
It seems hard to believe that Perkins in particular will continue to shoot better than Neal, Green, Leonard and Bonner (where IS he?)

The Thunder are sure to make a run but it is looking like we'll get a game 7 so far.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #5988 on: June 06, 2012, 09:40:39 PM »
I just don't get why Fisher gets critical minutes in a big game.  Is it some kinda joke like Free Darko?  I don't think OKC can afford it yet. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5989 on: June 06, 2012, 09:45:49 PM »
Well, they don't have much in the way of back-up for Westbrook. They mostly give the ball to Harden when Westbrook is out so damage is mostly limited...

but yeah, when they go small, they really need to go Ibaka, Durant, Sefolosha, Harden, Westbrook rather than sitting Sefolosha for Fisher
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5990 on: June 06, 2012, 09:56:46 PM »
reversion to the mean at last, the entirety of rational sports analysis not actually overturned after all
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5991 on: June 06, 2012, 10:44:13 PM »
hell of a game, Stephen Jackson like a BAWSE

Momentum with the Thunder for sure but I'm not gonna call this one with both teams playing so well.
vjj

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5992 on: June 06, 2012, 11:22:24 PM »
James Hardened
Š@Š™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5993 on: June 06, 2012, 11:27:07 PM »
DEREK FISHER

Stoney Mason

« Reply #5994 on: June 06, 2012, 11:27:12 PM »
Looks like the Thunder will take this. Hella impressive to beat a very good team like the Spurs.

Phoenix Dark

See what happens when you draft and trade well, Joe Dumars?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
4 wins in a row, on a team that won 20. That's just fucking INCREDIBLE. The rest of the league has to be quaking now.
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
Man, hectic schedule has meant I've barely been able to catch any playoff games after the first round, and it was looking like I wouldn't miss much...

:maf

Smooth Groove

Your 2012 champs!  Congrats!

Phoenix Dark

OKC looks like they could dominate for a long time