Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1520696 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread (Finals edition - Heat versus Thunder)
« Reply #6480 on: June 20, 2012, 12:58:44 AM »
Pretty bad series. OKC looks so bad for long periods of time. Westbrook had a good game but their offense is just so one dimensional

You're underselling the game Westbrook had a bit imo.

Westbrook becomes the 3rd player in the last 25 seasons to make 20 baskets in a Finals game. 
Russell Westbrook had 43 points while shooting 62.5% from the field. Only Shaquille O'Neal (44 pts in 2001) and Michael Jordan (46 pts in 1992) had more in a Finals game in the last 25 seasons while shooting at least 60%.
Russell Westbrook had 43 points, 5 assists and 7 rebounds. The only other players to reach each of those totals in a Finals game in the last 25 seasons are Michael Jordan in Game 3 1993 and Shaquille O'Neal in Game 1 2001.

Hopefully this is the nail in the coffin for the stupid talk about what Westbrook isn't.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6481 on: June 20, 2012, 01:03:27 AM »
yeah I'm eating dat crow right now.  Sometimes he makes boneheaded decisions (and any other night, him taking jumpers beyond the arc to me just makes me cringe), but he's a fascinating talent and great player to watch
püp

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #6482 on: June 20, 2012, 01:05:04 AM »
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo
LeBron scored or assisted on 55 of the Heat's 104 points. He's the 1st with 26 Pts, 12 Ast, 9 Reb in NBA Finals game since Larry Bird ('86).

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6483 on: June 20, 2012, 01:17:21 AM »
ah fuck he was so close to a triple double
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6484 on: June 20, 2012, 01:48:56 AM »
I like how you can tell how miami is playing based simply on the silence from some people. No tweets from Bill Simmons.

Ric Bucher is going to suck a shotgun if Miami wins.

Simmons talked on a podcast recently about banning himself from tweeting in-game, so maybe that's it.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6485 on: June 20, 2012, 01:56:48 AM »
To be fair he did make one post game tweet but he's generally a lot quieter after a team like the heat wins. If the Heat lose that's when the podcasts and tweets often fly. But then much of the media operates in that fashion.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6486 on: June 20, 2012, 02:27:55 AM »
Yeah, it's not like Dan LeBetard is gonna be all classy if/when the Heat finish this off.

vjj

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #6487 on: June 20, 2012, 09:16:04 AM »
I'll respectively disagree unless DurantWestbrook puts up 40+. I think Lebron smells blood. He won't let this finals get away.
:smug
 What a great game. Harden had a really bad game. Such a fast game with people flying up and down the court. Can't ask for much more.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6488 on: June 20, 2012, 11:45:26 AM »
I'll respectively disagree unless DurantWestbrook puts up 40+. I think Lebron smells blood. He won't let this finals get away.
:smug
 What a great game. Harden had a really bad game. Such a fast game with people flying up and down the court. Can't ask for much more.

Yea but OKC is playing like Miami used to play: lots of fast shots, isolation, and players standing around on offense.  :-\

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6489 on: June 20, 2012, 12:05:52 PM »
That's not surprising, though.  OKC had the fewest assists of any team in the NBA this year.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6490 on: June 20, 2012, 03:19:17 PM »
If I was Sploestra or Riley that game last night, especially the first three quarters is the game film I would show to Lebron every day and say that's the player he should be. I never liked Lebron as this emulated model of Kobe Bryant that I always felt he was trying to be. That game was more impressive to me than the crazy Boston game he had simply because that boston game was a bit of luck. You can't count on being that hot very often at all. But you can play in away that maximizes your talents and that's what he did last night. It was a lot more like a crazy effective and more talented version of Chris Webber than Kobe.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6491 on: June 20, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »
Good job, good effort Thunder.
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6492 on: June 20, 2012, 08:31:23 PM »
If I was Sploestra or Riley that game last night, especially the first three quarters is the game film I would show to Lebron every day and say that's the player he should be. I never liked Lebron as this emulated model of Kobe Bryant that I always felt he was trying to be. That game was more impressive to me than the crazy Boston game he had simply because that boston game was a bit of luck. You can't count on being that hot very often at all. But you can play in away that maximizes your talents and that's what he did last night. It was a lot more like a crazy effective and more talented version of Chris Webber than Kobe.

absolutely.

Although I sympathize for LeBron in that it probably seems to all the casuals who only tune in to the Finals that he just decided to start playing in post a few games ago after being humiliated last year, when in reality, it has been a multi-year process. His problem has always been that he is good at almost everything, but has had to focus on being great at a few things to really dominate.

The Thunder are the same problem writ large. They have 3 amazing offensive talents who can all drive, shoot and pass well, and they can do a hell of a lot with that. But to really excel, they're going to need to focus their gifts a little bit more. Surrender some shots to role players, figure out who is setting up the offense and how everyone fits into it, and commit to defense. They already know how to do it, as the Spurs series showed. They just need to do it a greater percentage of the time.

Given that they rallied to beat the Spurs (who we thought were the best team in the NBA) 4 times in a row, and have the prospect of 2 straight games in OKC if they can survive game 5, I'm not totally ready to write them off yet. This '30-0 all time in the Finals' stuff is nonsense - the Finals are no more statistically significant than any other series, and OKC was the favorite with HCA in this series, unlike most of the other times the 3-1 disparity has occurred. All the games other than 1 have been so close that there is no real reason why they can't win with HCA and a few lucky bounces. Psychologically it has to be very tough though. But as long as they stay alive, they give themselves a chance for luck to happen I guess. You never know, Wade's knee could burst or Bosh's injury flare up again...
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6493 on: June 20, 2012, 09:16:31 PM »
FFS :lol

how the FUCK can he win

vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6494 on: June 20, 2012, 09:25:30 PM »
Saw the show, and both hosts were completely praising LeBron, as was Barkley as the guest (he predicted that by the time he retires, LBJ vs. MJ will be a legit debate).  The question was whether the NBA draws in more viewers with the Heat as villains who get beat, which you might think is trivial but is a fair question.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6495 on: June 20, 2012, 09:50:42 PM »
Colin Cowherd was talking about that the other day too, that a lot of people hate the Heat and Lebron and tune in to see them lose. Also debate about whether he's a choker, and can you be one of the greatest of all-time without a ring fuels sports talk. Most of that will go away after he wins his first ring.
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6496 on: June 20, 2012, 10:05:41 PM »
Well, then the narrative turns to 'Who Can Dethrone the King?' and 'Durant - Overrated One-Dimensional Scorer Who Won't Get His Ass in the Weight-Room and Into the Post, I Mean Seriously Look at the Guy, What Does He Eat, Cabbage? Never Gonna Win a Ring'

vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6497 on: June 20, 2012, 10:21:01 PM »
It would be really fucking annoying to listen to, is what it would be
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6498 on: June 20, 2012, 10:25:23 PM »
If there is anything sillier than attempting to turn sporting events into a narrative after the fact, it is attempting to set a narrative in place BEFORE the fact (and then getting all butthurt when you get it wrong). Personally, I watch sports because I DON'T KNOW AND WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT.
vjj

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #6499 on: June 20, 2012, 10:29:07 PM »
I do think it'd be hilarious if LeBron never won a ring (at least not with the Heat in its present form), yet at the same time I feel like I've defended him more than most, at least among people I know irl. So I'm enjoying watching him play up to his potential. He's amazing.
AMC

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6500 on: June 20, 2012, 10:31:20 PM »
If there is anything sillier than attempting to turn sporting events into a narrative after the fact, it is attempting to set a narrative in place BEFORE the fact (and then getting all butthurt when you get it wrong). Personally, I watch sports because I DON'T KNOW AND WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT.

Exactly. People want to find out how awesome it would be if Lebron never won a ring.
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6501 on: June 20, 2012, 10:31:34 PM »
It is true that it never gets old being able to respond to half the things Barkley says with a stab at his ringlessness, but then he is inherently, like Tracy Morgan, a ridiculous person.
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6502 on: June 20, 2012, 10:48:24 PM »
People hate the Patriots more than the Heat and still tune in...

obviously the NFL is far more popular but the same general rule applies. The Heat winning won't dampen anything - it'll just give rise to new teams to be hyped as the giant killers

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6503 on: June 20, 2012, 10:49:25 PM »
yeah, in terms of villainhood, LeBron just gets an upgrade, from say, Electro to Dr fucking Doom
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6504 on: June 20, 2012, 10:56:52 PM »
The somewhat annoying thing about LeBron hate is that it has so little to do with him on the court. This is a guy who has never been accused of being a ball hog or selfish (like oh I don't know, Kobe), by most accounts he's a big kid personality wise, he doesn't get in trouble off the court, etc. Nor is he clearly overrated like other media darlings (Brett Favre, Duke, etc...)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6505 on: June 20, 2012, 11:09:19 PM »
There was a trade today:
The Washington Wizards traded forward Rashard Lewis and the No. 46 overall draft pick to the New Orleans Hornets for forwards Trevor Ariza and Emeka Okafor.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6506 on: June 20, 2012, 11:20:33 PM »
Wizards could be decent upfront now, with Nene and Okafor. But as usual with the Wizards, they will be no more than 'decent', and spending a ton to do it too. Terrible GM.

For the Hornets, it clears up room for Anthony Davis, mostly. I assume Lewis' deal finally expires next year?
vjj

benjipwns

« Reply #6507 on: June 20, 2012, 11:28:12 PM »
Yeah, but maybe more importantly:
The Hornets can buyout Lewis' $23.8 million contract for $13.7 million before July 1st.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6508 on: June 20, 2012, 11:31:39 PM »
Okafor is one of those dudes I was wrong about. I loved him in college and figured he'd translate very well in the NBA. He had questionable offensive skills but his defense ability plus the benefit of coming from a program that continually produces solid pros made me confident.

He's not bad by any means, and has had some good seasons, but I thought he'd be a lot better

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6509 on: June 20, 2012, 11:34:17 PM »
Yeah, but maybe more importantly:
The Hornets can buyout Lewis' $23.8 million contract for $13.7 million before July 1st.

oooh

Yeah, fantastic trade for the Hornets (as you'd expect dealing with Grunfeld). They are losing a ton of salary already this year IIRC (Kaman etc) and this will save them gazillions. They could actually be a player in free agency this summer now, even. If they pull the trigger on the buyout ASAP. Should be a snap to lock up Gordon as well, now.

The Wizards - more years of mediocrity. Nothing fits there.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6510 on: June 20, 2012, 11:38:11 PM »
So not ready for the season to end tomorrow :'(

Although if it does, I bet Durant does some Rocky-in-Russia style training over the summer and absolutely devours the league whole next season.  Like 33+ ppg, 10 boards, 5 assists, MVP, scoring title.
vjj

benjipwns

« Reply #6511 on: June 20, 2012, 11:59:34 PM »
Durant might be burnt out. In a month he starts playing in the Olympics.
They are losing a ton of salary already this year IIRC (Kaman etc) and this will save them gazillions. They could actually be a player in free agency this summer now, even. If they pull the trigger on the buyout ASAP. Should be a snap to lock up Gordon as well, now.
They'll have less than $30 million on the books if they buy out Lewis.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6512 on: June 21, 2012, 12:05:36 AM »
Man, their new owner will have to be an utter cretin to blow this. Davis, Gordon and cap space for days in a league starved of it?

I just read the Hollinger article on the trade, holy shit :lol It is caustic to say the least.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6513 on: June 21, 2012, 12:07:17 AM »
I'd say being around LeBron for the duration of the Olympics will only fuel the fire for Durant, as it supposedly did for LeBron when he played with Kobe. At the least, he'll get plenty of practice guarding him without 30 million people watching.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6514 on: June 21, 2012, 01:01:48 AM »
The somewhat annoying thing about LeBron hate is that it has so little to do with him on the court. This is a guy who has never been accused of being a ball hog or selfish (like oh I don't know, Kobe), by most accounts he's a big kid personality wise, he doesn't get in trouble off the court, etc. Nor is he clearly overrated like other media darlings (Brett Favre, Duke, etc...)

It is ironic that some of the biggest Lebron haters love Michael Jordan, and Kobe Bryant, two of the more unlikable and general asshole stars ever to play the game.

The other annoying bit of course is the media myth that if you never win a title you are pretty much garbage. And that if you do win a title then you are the ultimate team player despite whatever awful history you have. Ron Artest. What a classy winner.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/why-we-hate-lebron,28552/

benjipwns

« Reply #6515 on: June 21, 2012, 01:05:20 AM »
Remember Dirk before last season, epic playoff failure who would never be good enough to win, not a real hall of famer, blah blah blah. Then all of the sudden he was the ultimate killer, a proven winner, maybe the greatest forward of all time.
"It's almost a little funny to me to see how people are all of sudden saying I'm a changed guy," Nowitzki said. "I've been averaging 25 and 10 for 10 years in the playoffs, so it's not like this just came overnight."

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6516 on: June 21, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:16:59 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6518 on: June 21, 2012, 01:20:40 PM »
Re: The Wizards/Hornets trade

WAT

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6520 on: June 21, 2012, 07:57:18 PM »
Juwan Howard And The Triumph Of The Superteam
http://deadspin.com/5920175/

Pretty nice article. Howard was one of the nicest NBA players I've met

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6521 on: June 21, 2012, 09:09:16 PM »
Points scored so far: 389 to the Heat, 385 to the Thunder. Yet everyone is sure now that the Heat are light-years better and must win. Barkley says 'It's their time', Greg Anthony says the Thunder have a better chance of walking through a lions den wearing pork chops than winning tonight etc.

I dunno, I intend to watch every second of it anyway. There is no real reason why the Thunder can't win tonight. LeBron has been the best player in the series, but there is no reason, statistically, why Westbrook or Harden or Durant can't be better TONIGHT and make the difference.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6522 on: June 21, 2012, 09:09:34 PM »
have to get Perkins involved! (so we can ignore him for the rest of the night)
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6523 on: June 21, 2012, 09:28:57 PM »
Wtf was that Perkins

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6524 on: June 21, 2012, 09:30:18 PM »
Heat's big three looking sharp.
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6525 on: June 21, 2012, 09:30:57 PM »
at this point, wtf do you have to lose by sitting him? Maybe Presti isn't as smart as I thought, if he isn't leaning hard on Brooks to sit him. Collison and Ibaka need to play 35+ mins. They won't.

The Heat look great though. Might not make any difference if LeBron continues to play like this.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6526 on: June 21, 2012, 09:39:24 PM »
LeBron ends up with the terrible back-up move again, knew that 3 had no chance of going in
vjj

bachikarn

« Reply #6527 on: June 21, 2012, 09:48:18 PM »
That was an amazing flop by Harden

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6528 on: June 21, 2012, 09:51:49 PM »
mike miller looks almost paraplegic out there
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6529 on: June 21, 2012, 09:54:15 PM »
Harden has had the worst fucking luck with in-and-outs this series, damn. This dry spell rivals any of PD's
vjj

« Reply #6530 on: June 21, 2012, 10:02:25 PM »
Well shit, this looks like it's over.
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6531 on: June 21, 2012, 10:03:49 PM »
Series over

Durant better gain some weight over the summer, he'll be facing LeBron again.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6532 on: June 21, 2012, 10:05:29 PM »
holy miller
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6533 on: June 21, 2012, 10:06:14 PM »
OKC has the ugliest offense I've seen from a good team. No ball movement, no point guard

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6534 on: June 21, 2012, 10:09:09 PM »
Well shit, this looks like it's over.

Well, they were down by this much in game 1 and ended up winning by 11, but it is starting to get that victory lap feel.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6535 on: June 21, 2012, 10:22:13 PM »
Mike Miller :bow

How is that dude playing on an NBA court? He should be in a motorized cart
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6536 on: June 21, 2012, 10:47:54 PM »
7pt game, Chalmers yapping like he's a big dawg now
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6537 on: June 21, 2012, 10:50:37 PM »
Thunder ain't dead yet
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6538 on: June 21, 2012, 10:56:46 PM »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6539 on: June 21, 2012, 10:58:24 PM »
stupid stupid flagrant call
püp