Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519556 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: The NBA thread (July 1st. Free Agency begins)
« Reply #6780 on: July 02, 2012, 09:54:19 PM »
wow, the Nets have the #2 player in the league begging to be traded to them and they can't pull it off. Staggering. If they stay under the cap they could still sign him in free agency, but lots of teams will have cap space by that time.

Joe Johnson and Deron would be a horrible mix on the court, really doubt that's who D-Will wants to play with. I'd say Dallas' chances just went up considerably.
vjj

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6781 on: July 02, 2012, 09:55:54 PM »
If they stay under the cap they could still sign him in free agency
They won't, especially if they resign Deron to add to Johnson, Wallace and I assume Lopez.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6782 on: July 02, 2012, 10:02:02 PM »
$40 million on Wallace, yeesh. Billy King, everybody!

vjj

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #6783 on: July 02, 2012, 10:06:39 PM »
When I grow up I want to be Joe Johnson. That dude's entire family is gonna be eating for a century

etiolate

« Reply #6784 on: July 02, 2012, 10:23:03 PM »
I like Ryan Anderson, but I'm not sure why the Kings are pursuing him with their current roster. If you sign him and resign JT, then you just spent millions of dollars last year to have Chuck Hayes sit on the bench.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6785 on: July 02, 2012, 10:24:01 PM »
Hollinger sez the Hawks are in position to sign not only Howard,  but also CP3 next year...on top of resigning Josh Smith and Al Horford if needed :o

:bow Danny Ferry :bow2
vjj

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #6786 on: July 02, 2012, 10:26:42 PM »
JEZUS HOLY FUCK

I hope we also suck this year and get a lottery pick
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6787 on: July 02, 2012, 10:30:38 PM »
I hope Howard gets traded to Milwaukee or something. What a giant baby

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6788 on: July 02, 2012, 10:31:19 PM »
read and weep with joy:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
We knew when the Atlanta Hawks hired Danny Ferry as their general manager that it would mark a wholesale change in the way this franchise did business, but nobody expected the change to be this drastic, this fast.

With two landmark moves in a period of hours today that wiped nearly $90 million off the payroll, the Hawks went from a franchise that considered losing in the second round of the playoffs to be the pinnacle of human achievement to being one that could matter -- I mean really, truly matter -- for the first time since Dominique Wilkins was making nightly highlight films.

For those who just crawled out from under a rock, the Hawks first sent Joe Johnson to New Jersey for the expiring contracts of Jordan Farmar, Johan Petro, Jordan Williams Anthony Morrow and DeShawn Stevenson (who will have a non-guaranteed multi-year deal, per sign-and-trade rule requirements, but is effectively an expiring contract). The Hawks then traded Marvin Williams to Utah for the expiring contract of Devin Harris. Farmar will be bought out for $1.5 million, Harris may be re-routed someplace else, and Petro will be given Pape Sy's former jersey just to see if anyone can tell the difference.

• Enlarge

Fernando Medina/Getty Images
The departure of Marvin Williams and Joe Johnson makes Atlanta a player in 2013 free agency.
That's the summary, but let's zoom out to the big picture. I'm not sure anybody has put together all the dots on this, but consider the following:

• Josh Smith is from Atlanta.

• Dwight Howard is from Atlanta.

• Dwight Howard and Josh Smith played together in high school and remain friends; in fact Howard was the best man in Smith's wedding.

• Chris Paul is not from Atlanta, but is from North Carolina and wanted to play in Atlanta coming out of college.

• Chris Paul, Dwight Howard and Josh Smith all will be free agents next summer.

• Dwight Howard's main target in 2013 free agency, Brooklyn, just used up all its potential cap space in Monday's trade with Atlanta.

• Atlanta now has only two players under contract for next season, center Al Horford and first-round pick John Jenkins, and will have well north of $40 milion in cap room.

• Atlanta could rather easily trade Horford, an All-Star center with a below-market contract, to create more room if needed.

Yes, this is the real endgame for Atlanta: Not just Howard, but Howard and CP3. The Hawks are now in position to do it, and can get to that point in several different ways.

It's just an idea right now, but it's an unbelievable, transformative idea. Twenty-four hours ago everybody looked at this franchise and wondered if they could eke out another second-round playoff berth before Johnson's contract swallowed them whole. Now the questions are regarding whether Atlanta could get good wing players to pair up with their three stars.

I can't overstate how huge it would be for this franchise in particular, one that has foundered locally with poor attendance and embarrassing TV ratings, symbolized by the poor PA announcer begging somebody, anybody, to cheer during sparsely attended January weekday games ... or, for that matter, playoff games.

This would finally, after four decades of being an afterthought in this sports market -- four decades in which the Hawks have yet to make an Eastern Conference finals -- establish Atlanta as a place that mattered, a Hawks game as a worthwhile diversion, and perhaps, this franchise as something more than an occasional diversion from college football.

Unbelievably, they can now get there. The most obvious way is to wait until 2013. Atlanta can sign Paul and Howard to max contracts next summer, re-sign Smith for roughly the same money he makes now (which would trump any other offer he'd likely get since the Hawks can give him a five-year deal), and likely juuuuuust squeeze in under the current cap.

The Hawks can get there in other ways too, however. Consider the fact that if Orlando decides to deal Howard sooner rather than later, Atlanta's likely offer of Horford, Teague, Jenkins and/or draft picks is likely to be as good or better than anything anybody else offers. (This, obviously, is pending whether Houston is willing to truly throw in the kitchen sink on a Howard rental).

Such a move would give Atlanta zero contracts on their books besides Howard's heading into the 2013-14 offseason; again, they could sign Paul into their cap space, re-up Smith and be on their way. Alternatively, they could make a similar offer for Paul via trade, sign Howard in free agency, and be on their way.

The wild card in all this, obviously, is whether Atlanta is still on "The List" for either of these players, or for Smith for that matter, who had been angling for a trade. But Smith's gripe was never with his hometown, but rather with the fact that the Hawks never seemed committed to winning. It's a lot tougher to make that argument if they go out and get Howard and Paul.
NBA Free Agency
NBA free agency is under way and ESPN.com has you covered with all the latest deals, trades and potential moves.
Free agents | Trade Targets | RC

• Insider: Free-agent PER rankings
• More: TrueHoop | Trade Machine

Similarly, Atlanta becomes a lot more attractive for Howard if it seems ready to commit to building a long-term winner, and has a GM who can do something more than shoot money out a firehouse. And more attractive to CP3, obviously, if Howard and Smith are there too, and the team isn't owned by Donald Sterling.
It's a perfect storm, in other words, and one has to presume that Ferry didn't start down this road without at least a wink and a nod that this might be doable.

As for New Jersey, this is what happens when you're desperate. I've killed them for other reckless moves, but this one actually wasn't that terrible. They replaced one year of $14 million of flotsam with one year of a $20 million Joe Johnson, and then signed Joe Johnson to a three-year, $69 million deal on top of that. Not ideal, perhaps, but again they're desperate to have a compelling product for their relocation to Brooklyn. (And trust me as a Jersey boy, this is a relocation. People in New Jersey only vaguely know where Brooklyn is; forget about actually going there).

The Nets cover themselves with a go-to option in Johnson if Deron Williams leaves, give themselves a very good spot-up shooter and secondary scorer if Williams goes, and give themselves a great shot at being a top-four seed in the East. Brooklyn's starting lineup will be among the best in basketball, presuming it re-signs Kris Humphries and Brook Lopez, and a bench (speculatively) of Jason Kidd, Mirza Teletovic and MarShon Brooks will at least be respectable in the backcourt. A lack of frontcourt depth and porous defense will keep them from contending for anything important, but they'll be entertaining enough to put fannies in seats, and that was the idea.

However, Utah baffles me. The Jazz just took on an extra year of Marvin Williams at $7.5 million, and I have no idea why. While Williams isn't a bad player, he's not worth this amount and he does little to solve Utah's twin needs of perimeter shooting and real backcourt players. While the Jazz have a ton of cap room in 2013-14, Williams eats into it, and that paper cap room is going to disappear in a hurry if Utah tries to retain any of its own free agents -- such as Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap or Mo Williams.

The fact they just handed Danny Ferry a free pass to potential world domination -- and, ironically, paved the path to their getting Paul with a trade of Williams, the man Atlanta took instead of him in the 2005 draft -- is another reason to question this deal; at the least they should be getting a first-round pick for their trouble.
[close]
vjj

benjipwns

« Reply #6789 on: July 03, 2012, 02:15:11 PM »
The Toronto Raptors have reached a verbal agreement with New York Knicks restricted free agent Landry Fields on an offer sheet, according to sources with knowledge of the deal.

Sources say that Fields will sign a three-year offer approaching $20 million.
Celtics are in final discussions on terms of a multi-year deal with Mavericks free agent guard Jason Terry, sources tells Yahoo! Sports.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 02:19:50 PM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #6790 on: July 03, 2012, 07:27:43 PM »

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #6791 on: July 03, 2012, 08:09:42 PM »
Pretty crazy if they are able to add Howard.

That team would steal all the mojo and attention from the Knicks

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6792 on: July 03, 2012, 09:11:18 PM »
Mavs are dead :(
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #6793 on: July 03, 2012, 09:16:04 PM »
The Rockets have come to terms with Jeremy Lin on an offer sheet. Specific terms of the deal have not been released. As of July 11th, the Knicks will have 3 days to match offer.

New York Knicks restricted free agent point guard Jeremy Lin will visit the Houston Rockets on Wednesday, according to ESPN.

The report indicates that Houston can make a 4-year, $40 million contract offer to Lin where the final 2 years would be worth $15 million per season.

benjipwns

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #6795 on: July 04, 2012, 12:16:11 AM »
He was insufferable on the draft coverage. ESPN drive me insane.
itm

etiolate

« Reply #6796 on: July 04, 2012, 12:31:19 AM »
he's like straight out of TMZ

Beezy

« Reply #6797 on: July 04, 2012, 01:11:33 PM »
Looks like the Knicks are gonna end up trading Shump and some nobodies for Steve Nash. I know he's injured and we have no idea how he'll play once he recovers, but I don't want Shump to go. :(

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6798 on: July 04, 2012, 01:39:53 PM »
Poor Chandler. Taking away Schumpert and adding in Steve Nash to an already weak defensive team.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6799 on: July 04, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »
So does Lin leave now?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6800 on: July 04, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »
So does Lin leave now?

The Knicks say they want him but the problem is other teams can offer backloaded contracts to Lin which would really screw the knicks in a couple of years.

The Knicks can offer Lin a four-year deal worth $24.5 million. But another team can offer Lin a poison pill that could go as high as $40 million over four years. Such a contract would pay Lin $5 million in each of the first two years and then go as high as $15 million in each of the last two years.

Matching such a contract would give the Knicks four players -- Lin, Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler -- making more than $14 million in the 2014-15 season. Those four players alone would have a combined salary of $72 million, nearly $2 million above the luxury tax.

While it may be doubtful that a club goes as high as $15 million in a season for Lin, even if one offered Lin roughly $10 million in the third and fourth years of a contract, the Knicks would be cautious about matching, according to a source.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:53:59 PM by Stoney Mason »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6801 on: July 04, 2012, 08:43:19 PM »
Steve Nash reportedly in a sign-and-trade to the Lakers for multiple first rounders.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6802 on: July 04, 2012, 08:45:57 PM »
This off-season has been cray.
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6803 on: July 04, 2012, 09:07:19 PM »
 :o

Nash gets a fat contract - 3yrs, 27 mil -, the chance to contend, and stays close to his kids. All he has to give up is his immortal soul.

If anyone on the planet can deny Kobe the ball, it's Nash. This will be fun.
vjj

etiolate

« Reply #6804 on: July 04, 2012, 09:45:37 PM »
Nash as a Laker just feels wrong. The Odd Couple backcourt.

"Steve, what do you think you're doing?"
"I'm sharing the rock Kobe."
"With people other than me??"
"They need shots, too."
"That's why I miss shots Steve. So they can get putbacks."
"Well then, you're much more giving than anyone gives you credit for."
"Thanks. Make sure to blame Pau on your way out."

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6805 on: July 04, 2012, 09:58:05 PM »
oh, there will be a spark or two *popcorn*

I gotta say though, Kupchak has a way of setting up these awesome deals, even if some of them get nixed by Stern. Gasol, Chris Paul, Nash...who thought the Lakers had any shot of getting those guys?

They should pull the trigger on Bynum for Howard now I think. Howard is just better, and more consistent, and it's by far the best deal the Magic could get that we know about.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:04:51 PM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #6806 on: July 04, 2012, 10:02:59 PM »
I feel kind of dirty saying this, but on some level I'll be rooting for the Lakers next year since I really want Nash to get a ring.  If they can, they should DEFINITELY pull the trigger on a Howard deal.
yar

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6807 on: July 04, 2012, 10:07:57 PM »
If Howard says no to playing on the Lakers with Nash, Kobe and Gasol (and Sessions?) over D-Will and Joe Johnson in Brooklyn, I don't know what to say. Brooklyn looks next to impossible now but they still have 'til the mid-season trade deadline to work a trade out or try to clear cap space for the offseason I guess. I'd say there is maybe a 5-10% of something like that happening now, just because Howard is so desirable for the Nets....they have to try anything and everything really.

But the Lakers trade? Shit, that could happen tomorrow. Mitch just has to say Bynum is available and it's DONE, no?
vjj

etiolate

« Reply #6808 on: July 04, 2012, 10:50:09 PM »
As much as I love Nash, I can't root for the Lakers. I am  essentially rooting for Nash's miracle regimine to run out of juju and turn him Derek Fisher old overnight.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6809 on: July 04, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
Can't wait to see Kobe dominating ball control and ignoring Nash

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6810 on: July 04, 2012, 10:53:01 PM »
I don't see Nash taking the Lakers over the top. Seems like kinda an odd fit to me.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: The NBA thread (Steve Nash to the Lakers)
« Reply #6811 on: July 04, 2012, 10:57:34 PM »
Nash will be great for whatever combo of Gasol/Bynum/Dwight Howard the Lakers end up with. Kobe will get his own regardless. It doesn't have to be conceptual perfection for it to work very very well.

I can see Mike Brown letting Nash run wild, and Kobe getting plenty of nice easy looks to make up for the handful of touches he gives up per game. Offensively, there is no reason to believe this won't work.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6812 on: July 04, 2012, 11:12:59 PM »
I just don't see it making them better than the Thunder. But we'll see I guess.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6813 on: July 04, 2012, 11:21:36 PM »
This move alone doesn't have to - the key is that they got a major piece without having to give up Gasol or Bynum. Either of whom can be traded right up 'til the trade deadline. The Lakers are far from done, I'd guess. They will also be amnestying Ron Artest too I imagine.
vjj

benjipwns

« Reply #6814 on: July 05, 2012, 12:05:43 AM »
Jared Dubin ‏@JADubin5

Knicks could have offered the Suns some draft picks too if they hadn't included all of them from now to eternity in the Melo trade.
Howard Beck ‏@HowardBeckNYT

Cruel twist for Knicks: That trade exception L.A. used to obtain Nash? It was created in Tyson Chandler trade, then sent to LA in Odom deal.
:teehee

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6815 on: July 05, 2012, 12:17:23 AM »
Another amazing wrinkle is that somehow, that Odom giveaway to the Mavs ended up being a flawless victory for the Lakers at the Mavs' expense, as it:

1) inflicted a horrible season of Odom on the Mavs, at a high price;
2) provided the trade exception that allowed the Lakers to absorb Nash's contract, thereby:
3) removing the Mavs' 'Plan B' for the PG spot after D-Will bailed

simply amazing how this shit worked out - no-one could have seen all that coming at the time
vjj

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6816 on: July 05, 2012, 12:22:16 AM »
Odom should have been banned from the NBA.
©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6817 on: July 05, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »
In an unforeseen reversal, Jason Kidd has decided to leave the Dallas Mavericks to join the New York Knicks, according to sources familiar with the decision.

With the Mavericks confident that they were closing in Thursday on a verbal agreement on a three-year deal with Kidd worth $9 million, sources told ESPN.com that Kidd -- after all-day deliberations with both teams -- has decided instead to leave Dallas to join the Knicks for a similar deal.

The contract can't actually be signed until July 11, which is the first day new NBA contracts can be signed. It's also possible, one source said, that Kidd could ultimately move to the Knicks in a sign-and-trade deal.

Sources briefed on the matter told ESPN.com that Kidd was ultimately swayed to take the Knicks' offer to come to New York and take on the challenge of trying to help the Knicks move into the Eastern Conference elite and also mentor fans' darling Jeremy Lin.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6818 on: July 05, 2012, 05:25:55 PM »
My initial reaction was "he won't get his ring tho..." then I realized he already has one. Feels good man. Seems like a nice challenge for him, plus playing in NY has its benefits

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6819 on: July 05, 2012, 05:34:35 PM »
The Clippers were informed on Thursday that guards Jamal Crawford and Chauncey Billups intend to sign contracts with the team when the NBA’s moratorium period is lifted for free agents to sign deals, according to NBA executives who were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

Crawford, an unrestricted free agent who opted out of his $5.2 million contract with the Portland Trail Blazers, has been offered a spot by the Clippers. He is expected to sign a three-year, $15.7 million contract, according to the executives.

Billups, who played in just 20 games last season with the Clippers before suffering a season-ending left Achilles tendon surgery, will sign a one-year deal that could be worth up to $4.3 million if he reaches bonuses, the executives said.

With Crawford and Billups reaching deals with the Clippers, L.A. cancelled the visit they had planned for free agent shooting guard Ray Allen on Friday.

At 6-5, the 32-year-old Crawford gives the Clippers the size in the backcourt they lacked last season.

Crawford averaged 13.9 points per game last season in Portland, and has averaged 15.3 points over his 12-year career. He shot 30.9% from three-point range last season, and has averaged 34.8% over his career.

Crawford, who has played for five teams, was the NBA’s sixth man of the year in 2010 with the Atlanta Hawks. He’ll probably start for the Clippers until Billups returns from his injury.

Billups, who averaged 15 points for the Clippers last season, is hopeful that he’ll be back sometime in December.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6820 on: July 05, 2012, 05:39:06 PM »
Unless the Mavericks suddenly get Dwight Howard or something I haven't liked a single move they've made since winning the title. They pissed away a chance at repeating and they lost Deron Williams which everybody assumed was in the bag.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6821 on: July 05, 2012, 05:44:50 PM »
Since the title, they've lost:

-Tyson Chandler
-JJ Barea
-Jason Terry
-Jason Kidd
-Caron Butler

And they've added:

-Vince Carter
-Delonte West
-A few draft picks who won't amount to anything

>:(
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:48:47 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Beezy

« Reply #6822 on: July 05, 2012, 05:59:20 PM »
I like the Jason Kidd move, especially since I was starting to attempt to convince myself that getting Felton wouldn't be so bad. Now to see if the Knicks can keep JR Smith, Novak, Lin, and also what other moves they'll make.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6823 on: July 05, 2012, 07:55:49 PM »
Time to trade Dirk for draft picks and shoot for the 2013 lottery.
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6824 on: July 05, 2012, 07:56:08 PM »
This is turning into the offseason from hell for them, yeah. The Mavs really need to pitch Orlando hard for Dwight now, I think. Even if he doesn't want to stay, they'd have his Bird rights, and as we just saw with D-Will, that's a powerful thing. One extra year and $25 million. Cap space is only useful if you can spend it on stars...as it is, they'll likely end up spending it on role players :yuck

vjj

Phoenix Dark

Beezy

« Reply #6826 on: July 05, 2012, 08:56:58 PM »
We already know that the Knicks will match anything for Lin. Fuck Houston.

Beezy

« Reply #6827 on: July 05, 2012, 11:17:15 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/06/sports/basketball/kidd-is-heading-to-the-knicks.html?_r=1&smid=tw-share

Just as Kidd committed, the Knicks learned that Jeremy Lin, their promising 23-year-old point guard, had agreed to an offer sheet with the Houston Rockets, complicating the picture further.

The Rockets’ offer could be worth as much as $28.8 million over four years, with backloaded payments in the final two seasons, according to a person who was briefed on the details. The fourth year is a team option. Because Lin is a restricted free agent, the Knicks have the right to match the deal.

The offer sheet cannot be signed until the N.B.A. moratorium ends next Wednesday, at which time the Knicks will have three days to either match it or let Lin walk. The Knicks are determined to keep Lin, even if the contract costs them millions more in luxury-tax payments.

Under the Rockets’ offer, Lin would earn $5 million next season, $5.2 million in the second year and balloon payments of $9.3 million in the third and fourth seasons — a structure that is designed to dissuade the Knicks from matching the offer.

Houston is in desperate need of a point guard, having agreed to trade their starter, Kyle Lowry, to the Toronto Raptors on Thursday. The Rockets will receive a first-round pick that, under the terms of the trade, is guaranteed to be in the lottery in one of the next four drafts.

Houston also lost its highly regarded backup point guard, Goran Dragic, who agreed to terms with the Phoenix Suns on Wednesday.

In trading Lowry, the Rockets appeared to be going all in for Lin. It will be another week before they know if they have him.

Kidd, a 10-time All-Star, would be an ideal mentor for Lin, as well as a proven playmaker who can organize the Knicks’ disjointed offense and make sense of the clunky Carmelo Anthony-Amar’e Stoudemire tandem. Even at age 39, Kidd has the skills and the credibility to make a difference.

This doesn't seem too smart.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6828 on: July 05, 2012, 11:35:39 PM »
Dumb dumb dumb. Also, I forget. Was Dragic a Sun already?  Or maybe I'm thinking...a Maverick?  I forget , I just remember him having an amazing game last year or two years ago in the playoffs
püp

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #6829 on: July 05, 2012, 11:36:07 PM »
Odom should have been banned from the NBA.

Yup, I can't even cheer for the Clips anymore because of that asshole. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6830 on: July 05, 2012, 11:40:06 PM »
Dumb dumb dumb. Also, I forget. Was Dragic a Sun already?  Or maybe I'm thinking...a Maverick?  I forget , I just remember him having an amazing game last year or two years ago in the playoffs

Rockets last season, Suns before that. Back to the Suns next season.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6831 on: July 06, 2012, 10:46:19 AM »
I reached out to Mavs owner Mark Cuban today to get his lay of this decimated Mavs land after he missed out on Deron Williams and Steve Nash. Jason Kidd hadn't flown the coup just yet. Cuban, who created all this salary cap space by letting Tyson Chandler, JJ Barea and DeShawn Stevenson walk as free agents in the wake of his team's 2011 title last summer, said briefly, "It's better to miss out on the right player than to sign the wrong player."

And the rules have changed with the new CBA, Cuban sees what the Nets have done and thinks they don’t get it. Here is what he told Stephen Bondy of the New York Daily News:

“If they spend on bad contracts, particularly contracts signed under old CBA, then it doesn’t matter how much you spend… You are locked in to only being able to improve your team using the tax payers exception. That puts you at a distinct disadvantage.”

Phoenix Dark

Beezy

« Reply #6833 on: July 06, 2012, 10:26:43 PM »
Fucking fuck

"Not one, not two..."

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6834 on: July 07, 2012, 12:03:52 AM »
Fucking fuck

"Not one, not two..."

Maybe the Thunder can trade Derek Fisher for Dirk.
dog

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread (Jesus Shuttlesworth joins the Heat)
« Reply #6835 on: July 07, 2012, 12:36:02 AM »
Glad they got Ray Allen. I think he fits that team really well.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6836 on: July 07, 2012, 01:21:48 AM »
they, that? what happened to the royal we, Stoney

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6837 on: July 07, 2012, 01:50:09 AM »
I don't want to be too obnoxious

:-[

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6838 on: July 07, 2012, 03:19:58 AM »
Jesus, some Boston fans are fucking idiots. The Celtics tried trading Allen more than once plus he got benched...yet once again loyalty/disloyalty only applies to the players right. HE WON A RING FOR YOU ALREADY, let that man live

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6839 on: July 07, 2012, 04:30:15 AM »
Yeah, those fans suck. I understand why they be catching feels since it's the Heat but it's not rational at all. Ray didn't even ask to be traded there in the first place. The Heat is a great fit for him, and the Celtics were benching him in favor of Bradley, he is taking a lot less money...can't hate.

Watched the ESPN Fab Five doc today, awesome. Jalen Rose is way more interesting when talking about himself rather than random jibber jabber during halftime shows.
vjj