Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519553 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread (Jesus Shuttlesworth joins the Heat)
« Reply #6840 on: July 07, 2012, 08:26:10 AM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--heat-gave-ray-allen-reason-to-again-feel-wanted.html

There is talk the heat might also be able to pull in Marcus Camby. I would like that move also.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6841 on: July 07, 2012, 08:38:18 AM »
They've got that championship halo for sure now...got a couple of good recruiting years ahead of 'em. Better than having a fire sale on Bosh for sure eh :lol
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6842 on: July 07, 2012, 08:42:18 AM »
Ray Allen to the Heat -

I think this will look superficially bad for the Celtics 'cause Allen will be able to do lots of great things in the Heat offense. But in reality, it shouldn't hurt the Celtics that much. Terry is a more efficient player (not by much, but he is) and Ray was relegated to a back-up role behind Avery Bradley anyway. Terry is also more versatile.

The bottom line is that Ray made Boston's offense more efficient by around 5pts a game when he was on the floor, but made the D less efficient by the same amount, so it's really hard to say they needed him to be successful. The sports writers will still kill Ainge for letting him leave when Ray is lighting it up for the Heat next season though.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6843 on: July 07, 2012, 08:53:45 AM »
http://www.nba.com/2012/news/07/02/usab-selection-show/index.html

The US olympic team will also be announced today.

The locks are

Carmelo Anthony
Kobe Bryant
Tyson Chandler
Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Kevin Love
Chris Paul
Russell Westbrook
Deron Williams
Blake Griffin

Anthony Davis, Rudy Gay, Eric Gordon, James Harden and Andre Iguodala are supposed to be in contention for those final spots.

btw This might be the last olympic team with top notch nba pros. There is a lot of momentum from certain nba owners (Cuban) to not do this and instead have some fiba style world basketball tournament which no one will care about.  :(

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #6844 on: July 07, 2012, 09:29:34 AM »
The prospective olympic team really needs a good big or two on it...
yar

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6845 on: July 07, 2012, 10:05:53 AM »
Hibbert would have been nice but he played for the Jamaican national team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/roy-hibbert-wants-play-team-usa-seeks-release-195639605.html

Beezy

« Reply #6846 on: July 07, 2012, 10:17:57 AM »
Anthony Davis, Rudy Gay, Eric Gordon, James Harden and Andre Iguodala are supposed to be in contention for those final spots.
Seriously? Without even having played a game in the NBA yet? I don't follow college ball. How good is this kid?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6847 on: July 07, 2012, 10:20:11 AM »
Seriously? Without even having played a game in the NBA yet? I don't follow college ball. How good is this kid?

He's good but it would also be kinda symbolic. They like to stick a college guy on the roster to pretend the NBA cares about college basketball and the tradition of college basketball olympians.

Beezy

« Reply #6848 on: July 07, 2012, 10:28:14 AM »
lol I see

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6849 on: July 07, 2012, 10:53:13 AM »

He's good but it would also be kinda symbolic. They like to stick a college guy on the roster to pretend the NBA cares about college basketball and the tradition of college basketball olympians.

Yup, Christian Laetner on the OG dream team says "heeeeeyyyyy"
yar

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #6850 on: July 07, 2012, 11:03:35 AM »
I thought Davis was out due to a sprained ankle during qualifiers

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6851 on: July 07, 2012, 11:38:04 AM »
I thought Davis was out due to a sprained ankle during qualifiers

It wasn't as bad as they thought, he's in camp now.  Plus after Bosh went out they were like "maybe missing a few days isn't so bad, we need someone to block shots"
yar

Beezy

« Reply #6852 on: July 07, 2012, 12:26:19 PM »
Rename Ray Allen to Judas Shuttlesworth in the thread title please.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #6853 on: July 07, 2012, 06:48:22 PM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8138774/sources-new-york-knicks-ahead-miami-heat-pursuit-marcus-camby

Why the hell is Riley trying to pick up so many old farts?  Bibby was a disaster.  Battier and Miller were helpful at times but the Heat could have gotten more with that money. 

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6854 on: July 07, 2012, 07:17:26 PM »
This is what Riley does. He only trusts guys he's had around or veterans.

This is the guy who initially tried to rebuild the Heat after Zo's kidney problem by dumping Ricky Davis for Chris Gatling and filling out the roster around Briant Grant and Eddie Jones with Rod Strickland, LaPhonso Ellis, Mark Strickland, Kendall Gill and Jim Jackson.

I assume Juwan Howard is on the team because Riley wanted him so bad back in 1996. With Camby and Allen he's got two other great pieces to have to start the 1996-97 season!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 07:24:14 PM by benjipwns »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6855 on: July 07, 2012, 08:06:09 PM »

Yup, Christian Laetner on the OG dream team says "heeeeeyyyyy"

They could have had Shaq on the Dream Team instead, which would have been awesome in retrospect because then we wouldn't have to think of Christian Laettner and Michael Jordan together under any circumstances.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6856 on: July 07, 2012, 09:27:53 PM »

if only he put the same effort into his jump shots

benjipwns

« Reply #6857 on: July 08, 2012, 09:21:37 PM »
Sources with knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com on Sunday that the Hornets and Orlando Magic reached agreement on a sign-and-trade deal that will send Magic forward Ryan Anderson to New Orleans to play alongside prized rookie Anthony Davis.

The Magic will receive young Hornets center Gustavo Ayon in the deal.
Also looks like something may be happening soon on the Dwight front:
Quote from: Jarrod Rudolph
Just spoke with a source that tells me that Billy King is "very close" to getting Dwight Howard. And deal could be completed "very soon.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6858 on: July 09, 2012, 12:31:13 AM »
Twitter is suggesting the Cavs will be involved somehow alongside the Nets/Orlando, possibly giving up draft picks

edit: Lakers out
https://twitter.com/WiessD/status/222179950353059840
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:40:17 AM by Phoenix Dark »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6859 on: July 09, 2012, 01:09:40 AM »

if only he put the same effort into his jump shots
(Image removed from quote.)

:lol Bayless head needs to be an emoticon, use :prick
yar

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6860 on: July 09, 2012, 02:22:00 AM »
this Dwight thing seems to have legs. People keep saying that there is no reason for the Cavs to facilitate the creation of another super-team but I see a pretty huge one - Dan Gilbert not wanting LeBron to win again :lol
vjj

Stoney Mason

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: The NBA thread (The New Big Three almost done)
« Reply #6862 on: July 10, 2012, 11:42:38 PM »
Finally, some realistic trades emerging for Howard. The proposals from the Nets just didn't work for anybody but them, and hinged on them signing and trading SIX different players :lol

That shit was never gonna happen. Why should all those guys have their contracts dictated at gunpoint? Maybe 3 or 4 of 'em would say yes but there was always going to be one Matt Geiger-like dude who said screw you, i want my money.

The Rockets have a decent chance of keeping Bynum if they get him, I think. He would be their star, it's a big city/market, McHale is an easy-going coach, and as good a mentor as a big man could want, they have plenty of role players...he could do very well there I think. And they'd have his Bird rights, which turned out to be huge in the D-Will situation.

And Howard alongside Gasol, Kobe and Nash? Are you fucking kidding me? Whatever it takes to get that done, I'd be doing it right now if I was Mitch Kupchak. Howard was still dominant even when coasting, and for most of his career he has been fully engaged. This is not true of Bynum.
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6863 on: July 10, 2012, 11:51:42 PM »
wait, who are the "new big three"
püp

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #6864 on: July 10, 2012, 11:55:24 PM »
Kemba, Gordon, Jamison
Fields, DeRozan, Gray
itm

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6865 on: July 10, 2012, 11:56:57 PM »
Rondo, Pierce, Bradley  :o
püp

etiolate

« Reply #6866 on: July 11, 2012, 12:02:28 AM »
Anthony Davis, Doc River's Kid, Open Roster Spot

pilonv1

« Reply #6867 on: July 11, 2012, 12:03:16 AM »
whoevers reffing the next Heat game

itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6868 on: July 11, 2012, 12:11:21 AM »
Heat pick up Rashard Lewis.  :-\

Well they shouldn't lack for three point shooting. I would have preferred a remotely decent center though.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6869 on: July 11, 2012, 12:23:39 AM »
Hopefully Austin Daye becomes decent so the Pistons can advertise their big three as KNIGHT AND DAYE (and Monroe)

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6870 on: July 11, 2012, 01:02:53 AM »
lulz. It just dawned on me that Lewis and Allen will be playing together again.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6872 on: July 11, 2012, 05:35:19 PM »
:rofl :rofl :rofl
püp

Phoenix Dark

Re: The NBA thread (Never ending Dwight Howard soap opera)
« Reply #6873 on: July 11, 2012, 05:50:36 PM »
please lord, just kick Dwight Howard out of the NBA

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6874 on: July 11, 2012, 06:00:43 PM »
Mavericks to sign the ugliest man in the NBA, Chris Kaveman. :bow2
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #6875 on: July 11, 2012, 10:37:56 PM »
http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/07/rockets-re-emerge-as-contender-in-howard-sweepstakes-as-talks-with-magic-grow-serious/
Talks on Wednesday grew “serious,” and at one point seemed close to an agreement, according to a person familiar with the process, but the Magic backed off to consider their options.

Rockets are open to the three-team deal in which they would receive Lakers center Andrew Bynum with Howard going to the Los Angeles Lakers, but are primarily working directly with the Magic to acquire Howard, the individual with knowledge of the talks said.

Getting in position for the planned next move will be difficult. To create enough cap room for the kind of blockbuster trade that has been proposed, the Rockets are considering making veteran forward Luis Scola an amnesty cut, likely in the next 48 hours, a person with knowledge of the move said. That would create enough cap room for the Rockets to take on the additional contracts necessary to complete a trade for Howard.
Orlando must want some forwards.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6876 on: July 12, 2012, 12:45:04 AM »
Scola will be a nice amnesty pick-up for whatever team lands him. I love that Houston is seemingly going all-in on this though. I've been basically pushing for every team in the running for Howard to do so. He's your best shot at beating LeBron for the next few years.
vjj

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #6877 on: July 12, 2012, 08:30:25 AM »
The last time the Heat signed a former SuperSonic, Gary Payton got his ring in '06.

I like this Ray Allen signing.  8)

benjipwns

« Reply #6878 on: July 13, 2012, 02:28:17 AM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8162534/houston-rockets-reconstruct-trade-proposal-orlando-magic-center-dwight-howard
Sources told ESPN.com that the Rockets, should they go ahead with their widely reported plans to release starting power forward Luis Scola via the NBA's amnesty clause, are prepared to absorb the contracts of Jason Richardson, Glen Davis and Chris Duhon -- in addition to sending Orlando multiple future first-round picks and recent draftees -- to give the Magic an opportunity to wipe their payroll virtually clean for their post-Howard rebuilding effort.

Sources say that the Rockets would have to send Kevin Martin, Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris and Chandler Parsons to the Magic from their current roster to make the salary-cap math work, as well the draft rights to Jeremy Lamb, Royce White and Terrence Jones, all selected in last month's first round.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6879 on: July 13, 2012, 02:33:44 AM »
yeah, this is getting a bit nutty. Crazy that the Rockets are having to offer to take all of Orlando's shitty contracts just to get to the table. It makes the Nets' offer look absurdly low.

Parsons is a fun player to watch...expecting big things from him next season, wherever he ends up
vjj

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6880 on: July 13, 2012, 06:22:15 AM »
This is going to sound kind of dickish, but part of me sort of hopes that Dwight Howard is ripped apart by a roving band of feral jackals or something just so I won't have to hear about his petulant ass anymore.
yar

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6881 on: July 13, 2012, 06:27:04 AM »
We're pretty much guaranteed another year of high-profile indecision though, aren't we? I mean, even if he said right now he'd definitely re-sign with Houston or LA or wherever, who would trust him after opting in with Orlando?

He's making LeBron look like quite the savvy businessman by comparison eh.
vjj

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6882 on: July 13, 2012, 06:29:16 AM »
I kind of think that any organization is gonna HAVE to get him to sign as part of the deal, unless it was the Nets where he apparently actually wants to play.  I mean, do the Rockets really think they can WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP by doing all this hit basically to land Dwight Howard while simultaneously tossing the rest of their team into the wood chipper?  Because he's SAID he's not gonna resign with them.

Then again, he says lots of things, doesn't he?  Back to hoping for that pack of jackals I guess.
yar

benjipwns

« Reply #6883 on: July 13, 2012, 07:09:48 AM »
I do think this and Melo have to cause some rethinking of how LeBron did things. Dwight has openly dicked around his own franchise for two years and will dick around another franchise all while wanting to go to Brooklyn for "brand" reasons. He threatened to opt out and then last minute opted in. Openly killed a coach and GM, then tried to act otherwise, now he's not even giving the new regime a chance.

Dwight and Melo demanded trades to the lone places they wanted to go rather than using their FA rights because they didn't/don't want to give up the money from resigning. LeBron, Bosh and Wade at least gave up some salary to team-up.

LeBron's announcement was going to be a huge deal, especially if he went to the Knicks, and I think his team was smart to try and take control of ESPN's coverage and profit off something that would have been a media circus anyway. Of course then they had to donate it to charity and they fumbled it by bringing in Jim Gray and staging it the way they did.

I mean, if LeBron had issued a simple statement or sent a personal text to Chris Broussard that said "I'm taking my talents to South Beach", "Miami" or "I'm back" he still would have been raked over the coals for being "arrogant" and everything else.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6884 on: July 13, 2012, 07:17:54 AM »
I kind of think that any organization is gonna HAVE to get him to sign as part of the deal, unless it was the Nets where he apparently actually wants to play.  I mean, do the Rockets really think they can WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP by doing all this hit basically to land Dwight Howard while simultaneously tossing the rest of their team into the wood chipper?  Because he's SAID he's not gonna resign with them.

Then again, he says lots of things, doesn't he?  Back to hoping for that pack of jackals I guess.

No-one has yet walked away from the extra money whoever has him will be able to offer him. Though of course he could reasonably gamble that his earning power will still be super-high 5 years from now anyway.

One big factor that doesn't get tossed around much yet is that all these guys are signing 4 year deals and extensions now. So it's not the same thing as being handcuffed to a franchise for 7 years on a prior max contract, like say Garnett or Webber. LeBron is due for another victory tour around the NBA pretty soon already! So I dunno, I could see Howard saying fuck it and signing anyway, knowing that he can force a trade when he hits the year before free agency looms again at the latest, and earlier if he wants to be a dick about it.
vjj

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #6885 on: July 14, 2012, 09:59:17 PM »
lmao the Knicks are gonna let Lin go
AMC

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6886 on: July 14, 2012, 10:09:43 PM »
I guess Jason Kidd better get himself traded to Houston if he wants to mentor Lin so bad :lol

The CBA must be working in some way, if it has the Knicks pinching pennies though
vjj

OptimoPeach

« Reply #6887 on: July 14, 2012, 10:17:33 PM »

lol
hi5

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6888 on: July 14, 2012, 11:30:36 PM »

Houston would have a decent shot at re-signing him.  Brooklyn, his preferred destination, will be over the cap.  Ditto the Knicks, Lakers and Bulls.  We'd be talking a pay cut of at least 75%, which is a different animal entirely from the couple million that Miami's big three gave up.

So if Houston has him, then they're just competing with Atlanta, Dallas, Portland, and... Minnesota?  Utah?  Anaheim Sacramento?  With the Rockets having the advantage of being able to offer him something like $25 million more than the other teams, in a pretty big market.  Maybe he leaves, but he won't get to one of the glamour spots via free agency.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Unless he decides to sign a one year extension to keep his options open...  :spin
[close]

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6890 on: July 15, 2012, 08:40:56 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6891 on: July 15, 2012, 02:26:02 PM »
Knicks not gonna match the Lin offer.

With point guard Raymond Felton on his way to New York via a sign-and-trade deal with the Portland Trail Blazers, evidence is mounting that the Knicks will not match the Houston Rockets' offer sheet to Jeremy Lin.

Team sources say the Knicks are still deliberating whether they can pay Lin more than $25 million over three years, but one source within the Knicks organization tells ESPN's Stephen A. Smith that the Knicks will not match the offer.

A team source tells ESPNNewYork.com's Ian Begley that the third year of the Rockets' offer -- worth $14.8 million -- makes it unlikely the Knicks would match. If the Knicks were to match the offer, they would also be subject to a luxury tax in the third year, bringing their total out-of-pocket cost for Lin to approximately $30 million in 2014-2015.

The Rockets' offer to Lin would pay him $5 million in the first year, $5.225 million in the second and $14.8 million in the third, according to sources.

A source close to the process told ESPN.com's Marc Stein the Knicks received the offer sheet Saturday night, meaning they have until 11:59 p.m. ET Tuesday to match it or let Lin go to the Rockets.

When asked by Newsday on Sunday if he thought Lin would be back with the Knicks, Carmelo Anthony was unsure but took a swipe at the Rockets' contract offer to the point guard.

"It's not up to me. It's up to the organization to say that they want to match that ridiculous contract," he told the paper.

Anthony also told Newsday, "I'd love to see him back, but I think he has to do what's best for him right now."

Jared Jeffries, headed to Portland in the sign-and-trade deal that will bring Felton to the Knicks, is one who shares the sentiment that Lin won't be back with the Knicks.

"I never thought they would let him go," he told ESPN New York via text message on Sunday.

A source close to Lin told ESPNNewYork.com that the Knicks trade for Felton caught Lin off guard.

"He was very surprised," the source said. "He felt the whole time that the Knicks would just match the offer."

Initial reports had the Rockets offering Lin a four-year deal for around $28 million. That deal included salaries of more than $9 million in each of the last two years, which would be a big hit on the Knicks' salary cap.

Still, the organization seemed intent on matching.

"They will match any offer on Lin up to $1 billion," a source told ESPN.com's Stein last week.

Knicks coach Mike Woodson said Wednesday that Lin would not only be back but would enter next season as the Knicks' starting point guard.

It's not clear, however, if the new deal has changed that thinking since the third year of the current deal carries an even bigger cap hit.

If the Knicks re-sign Lin, they'll have $75 million tied up in four players -- Lin, Anthony, Amare Stoudemire, and Tyson Chandler -- in 2014-15.

Lin, a restricted free agent, made $788,000 last season. He averaged 14.6 points, 6.2 assists and 3.1 rebounds in 35 games with 25 starts before his season was cut short because of surgery to repair torn cartilage in his knee.

But in the 35 games he was healthy, Lin went from an end-of-the-bench afterthought to an international phenomenon. The undrafted guard out of Harvard, who was cut twice in the preseason (once by the Rockets) and played in the D-League, set the league on fire in February, leading the Knicks to seven consecutive wins. He scored at least 20 points in nine of 10 games during that stretch.

Felton, meanwhile, will return to New York, where he played 54 games during the 2010-11 season before being traded to the Denver Nuggets as part of the Anthony blockbuster. Felton played well in half a season in New York, averaging 17.1 points before the Knicks sent him to Denver.

He struggled this season with the Trail Blazers, scoring 11.4 points per game on 40.7 percent shooting and briefly losing his starting job.

Felton's agent, Tony Dutt, told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard that returning to New York has been Felton's first choice all along.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 02:30:25 PM by Stoney Mason »

Phoenix Dark

Re: The NBA thread (The End of Linsanity in NY)
« Reply #6892 on: July 15, 2012, 02:32:49 PM »
The lack of loyalty and selfishnessness on Lin's part is truly breathtaking. Not only is he severely overrated, he's a diva in contract negotiations. He owes NY some loyalty for giving him such a great opportunity.

[close]

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6893 on: July 15, 2012, 02:39:55 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ny-knicks-kidd-arrested-dwi-174609523--nba.html

lulz.

Jason kidd is highly respected for somebody who has allegedly beaten his wife,  broken up a team over Toni Braxton and now this.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6894 on: July 15, 2012, 03:09:40 PM »
The lack of loyalty and selfishnessness on Lin's part is truly breathtaking. Not only is he severely overrated, he's a diva in contract negotiations. He owes NY some loyalty for giving him such a great opportunity.

[close]

:lol
dog

pilonv1

« Reply #6895 on: July 15, 2012, 08:59:21 PM »
Knicks train wreck is awesome
itm

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6896 on: July 15, 2012, 09:05:59 PM »
Brooklyn keep on taking it :smug

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6897 on: July 16, 2012, 02:50:34 PM »
USA plays Brazil tonight.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6898 on: July 16, 2012, 02:53:23 PM »
Obama will be in the house. If only he spent the same time fixing the economy as he spends watching sports. He's just not trying hard enough

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6899 on: July 16, 2012, 03:40:49 PM »
Should the Knicks let Lin leave?
5-on-5: Will New York match Houston's offer sheet for the point guard?

After making a deal with the Trail Blazers for point guard Raymond Felton, will the Knicks let Jeremy Lin go to the Rockets?

Here are six writers weighing in on the New York drama.

1. What has grabbed you most in this stunning turn of events?

Henry Abbott, TrueHoop: There is a code. Players don't trash their teammates in the media, or anything like it. Teams don't trash their players, either. But Carmelo Anthony, J.R. Smith, and most convincingly Knicks sources cited by Stephen A. Smith are putting some ideas out there that, given the code, will curl your hairs.

J.A. Adande, ESPN.com: The stunning amount of money involved for a guy who had a one-comma salary last season and didn't play in enough games to "qualify" for rankings among the league's scoring leaders. It's also stunning that this same player could hijack the NBA world's attention away from Dwight Howard, the league leader in hijacking.

John Hollinger, ESPN.com: New York's sudden bout of financial prudence. I didn't think they'd care about the luxury tax hit with either Lin or Landry Fields, but it turns out that the penalty in 2014-15 in particular is deep enough to give even the Knickerbockers some pause.

Israel Gutierrez, ESPN.com: What's still pretty stunning with Lin is that there remain such varying opinions about whether he can actually play. There aren't many players as inexperienced as Lin who deserve this kind of money, but to reach this point without a solid grasp of his ability or potential is almost unheard of.

Marc Stein, ESPN.com: The staying power of Linsanity. After months of dormancy, it has bumped the Dwight Howard Sweepstakes right out of the crosshairs of the NBA news cycle. It's been a weekend full of emotion and plot twists, which leads me to a thought that ran through my head a lot last season: How could Lin's rookie season be so uneventful? Still can't quite figure that one out.

David Thorpe, Scouts Inc.: Probably that Melo and Smith spoke out before the final decision was made. Melo came to New York to be the savior, and he does not want some little undrafted Harvard dude to take that role. That much seems obvious.

2. Better point guard for the Knicks: Raymond Felton or Jeremy Lin?

Abbott: Raymond Felton has never overseen a period of team play nearly as successful as Linsanity. We know him well enough as a player to know there is zero risk of Felton making the Knicks a whole different and better team. For him, being an average NBA point guard would be a pleasant surprise. What are the chances Lin will change the team's fortunes? It's possible, which makes Lin far more valuable.

Adande: If the Knicks consider anything less than advancing in the playoffs this season a failure (and they should) then the answer is Felton. If you're going to win in the playoffs it helps to have a point guard with playoff experience. Lin might be a better long-term solution … if there weren't the issue of the long-term implications of his contract.

Hollinger: Ha ha ha ha ha. I've spent enough time in Portland to know the answer is "not Felton." He had his best year in New York under Mike D'Antoni, but that was two years and about 20 pounds ago. Plus, he won't have the ball in his hands now, and he's not a floor spacer.

Gutierrez: Lin is the better fit and has greater potential. Felton played some of his best basketball in Mike D'Antoni's system, as did Lin. But Lin did it with less experience, had more explosive scoring games and has better size. So it's safe to assume that even in a less-point-guard-dominated system, Lin can still be the better player.

Stein: I know lots of people think Lin is merely a product of Mike D'Antoni's system … which, by the way, must have something to do with D'Antoni after all if Lin, however briefly, can put up Nashian numbers running it. But I'm not one of those people. Lin is long, athletic and supremely confident in his own ability. He did enough in those 25 games of Linsanity to earn the benefit of the doubt with me. I'm not going to write him off post-D'Antoni when he's barely had the chance yet. Also: Weren't Felton's best days as a Knick with D'Antoni, too?

Thorpe: Lin today, Lin tomorrow. I guess it's possible that Felton can find better form than he has, but Lin is a much safer bet. At least we know he's on an upswing still. Has Felton ever had a better month than Lin had, despite far more opportunities to do so? No.

3. Were the Rockets wise to offer Lin $25 million for three years?

Abbott: Depends on their ability to monetize Lin's vast number of ardent fans around the globe. Linsanity has a powerful business effect, too -- any player who earns the team more than he costs is cheap, right? He alone could drive higher ticket prices in Houston, new in-arena sponsors and the like. And if all that does not pan out, the heinous cap effect is only one year long.

Adande: No. Just as they weren't wise to offer Omer Asik that deal or it wasn't wise for Portland to offer a max contract to Roy Hibbert and it wasn't wise for Toronto to offer $20 million to Landry Fields. There hasn't been an NBA move this summer that made you say, "That was really wise."

Hollinger: It's borderline, but Kevin McHale's system is a point guard dominant one and Lin thrives with the ball in his hands. Also, if New York had matched, it was a nearly $1 million windfall for the Rockets and every other owner via luxury tax payments. Also, keep in mind that the Rockets aren't exactly gun shy about paying tax down the road if they have to.

Gutierrez: They were if the goal was to not have the Knicks match. The Rockets need players, obviously, and overpaying is usually the only way to land restricted free agents. Again, this all goes back to whether or not Lin can play. If he develops into a top-15 point guard by the end of the third year, the contract won't look nearly as "ridiculous," to quote Carmelo Anthony.

Stein: Absolutely. They structured the deal in a way that has given the Knicks real pause after months of assurances from inside and outside the organization that matching Lin's offer sheet was an automatic at any price. The Rockets did that because they really want Lin, no matter what the paranoid Knicks think. And structuring the deal this way gave them the best chance.

Thorpe: Probably yes. Look at it like this: He can probably provide equal value to his contract in the first two years, and even if he is overpaid in Year 3 by $6-9 million, he's likely to earn at least that much back in off-the-court revenue over the life of his contract. Very few players pack that kind of punch. Houston knows that business well, thanks to Yao.

4. What are the chances the Knicks change their minds and match?

Abbott: Carmelo Anthony came to New York to create a basketball family like LeBron James enjoys in Miami, where he is at the center of a world where players work hard and have each others' backs. The Knicks are into that, too. Seems hard to keep that vibe by bringing in a contract Anthony calls "ridiculous."

Adande: Moderate. Things have been so fluid in the league this summer, but generally what you've heard about matching or not matching has come true. I've been told it's strictly James Dolan's call right now, and he doesn't have the greatest decision-making track record, so he might not make the expected play. He might get nostalgic for Linsanity, or become enthralled with Lin's marketing potential. But keep in mind, they've already got a new cable deal with Time Warner out of Lin, plus the season-ticket renewal forms went out long ago. They'll still be profiting from him even if he's gone.

Hollinger: I do believe there's a chance, just because the public outcry has been so vast and because this is the type of situation where James Dolan can decide -- or redecide -- on a whim.

Gutierrez: All it takes is a realistic look at their roster over the next three years. If it's the luxury tax the Knicks are afraid of down the road, they can easily convince themselves that, if they're not title contenders, the contracts of Amare Stoudemire, Tyson Chandler or Carmelo Anthony are movable.

If they like Lin's talent, they can change their minds now and worry about the tax two years from now.

Stein: I still believe there's a decent chance that the Knicks match. They're going to wait all the way until Tuesday night's buzzer, just to punish the Rockets as much as they can for making Year 3 of Lin's contract so onerous, but I tend to think that the Knicks will have an equally tough time digesting the idea of letting a player with Lin's promise and proven ability to generate unprecedented revenue walk away for nothing.

Thorpe: How can we predict the future of a team that has no problem wildly overpaying Amare, Melo and Chandler, but now is thinking more prudently about dollars? I'd guess the chances New York bungles this decision is 70 percent.

5. Should the Knicks match the Rockets' offer?

Abbott: It doesn't matter all that much. The Knicks like to act like they're making these league-changing decisions all the time, but they're perennially mediocre regardless. Maybe it's not rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, but it's rearranging the deck chairs on some mediocre, overpriced cruise. The only reason not to would be if they have a plan to bring in a real game-changer with that cap space, which they might. But so long as we're talking about a team dominated by Carmelo isolations, it doesn't matter all that much which four players are watching.

Adande: No. If they're going to be based on Carmelo Anthony (as they should, given how much they did to get him) and they're going to continue to keep Amare Stoudemire on the payroll, it doesn't make financial sense (from a salary cap/luxury tax perspective) to have Lin around three years from now … especially when he isn't a great basketball fit with Carmelo, either. As much as Carmelo might try to spin it otherwise, this does come down to either/or. The city might be big enough for Lin and Carmelo, but the court and payroll aren't.

Hollinger: Yes. Lin's first two years are cheap and his marketability makes him worth almost any price anyway.

Gutierrez: Yes. You're not adding much with Raymond Felton. At least with Lin you have potential. If he develops into a scoring guard, or into an effective, consistent distributor, they will be a better team. The Knicks have never shied away from dishing out dollars, and this should be no different. Again, if finances become a problem, they can always be fixed.

Stein: Unquestionably. Match it and trade Lin after this season if it doesn't work. They will find a taker if necessary. And please don't give me this nonsense about Lin's contract being untradeable because of the Year 3 spike to $15 million. Joe Johnson just got traded, people. Jeremy Lin can be moved if New York is no longer the place for him.

Thorpe: Not keeping Lin would be perhaps the single dumbest move a team has made since paying Gilbert Arenas, and then another team traded for him. He's probably going to be overpaid by $9 million in Year 3, but will make the Dolan family at least that much by then. Or another team, like Golden State, would love to trade for him and get the same off-court bang for their buck.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-120716/nba-knicks-let-lin-leave