Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519561 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #7500 on: December 29, 2012, 11:32:38 PM »
Fucking heat. Beat Okc. Lose to pistons and bucks.

You might as well tattoo, we only care about the playoffs and big teams on their jerseys.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7501 on: December 29, 2012, 11:45:29 PM »
I just realized that the Clippers have won SIXTEEN games in a row.  :dizzy
dog

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #7502 on: December 30, 2012, 01:06:19 AM »
Meanwhile the Bobcats have lost 18 games in a row

etiolate

« Reply #7503 on: December 30, 2012, 02:38:11 AM »
I liked the way the Bobcats were playing earlier in the year. I guess they're lack of talent caught up with them.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #7504 on: December 30, 2012, 04:22:43 AM »
I just realized that the Clippers have won SIXTEEN games in a row.  :dizzy

Won't last past Wednesday 8)
itm

etiolate

« Reply #7505 on: December 30, 2012, 04:24:39 AM »
The rest of us just realized the forum has gotten big enough to host a Clippers fan.

etiolate

« Reply #7506 on: December 30, 2012, 03:28:15 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2012/12/29/demarcus-cousins-sacramento-kings-maloof/1798287/
According to people with knowledge of the situation, the Maloofs continue to discuss their preferred option of relocation with several cities and have let it be known in all the appropriate circles that bidding for the unlikely sale of the club should begin at an astounding $500 million.

The last NBA sale, with the Memphis Grizzlies in October, went for a reported $377 million. Prior to that, the New Orleans Hornets reportedly were sold for $338 million. The Golden State Warriors were sold for a league-record $450 million in July 2010. But the Maloofs, who have consistently said they don't want to sell, are confident they could reach that $500 million figure because of the potential mobility of the franchise -- the Kings can get out of their lease at Sleep Train Arena at any time.

L      O      L

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #7507 on: December 30, 2012, 09:26:14 PM »
Sleep Train Arena?

At least the arena name isn't misleading.

pilonv1

« Reply #7508 on: December 31, 2012, 07:59:40 AM »
Better than that powerbalance shit that some players still wear
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7509 on: January 01, 2013, 03:23:02 PM »
It's hard to notice because his play has been so well over the last few years but lebron is putting up another insane season.

Career high in rebounds 8.4 and he's shooting a career high 54%. The numbers he is putting up won't come around again for a long time.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7510 on: January 01, 2013, 08:40:47 PM »
you asked for that one, Stoney.

Amar'e's return is basically exactly how we all expected it to be :'(   Knicks getting destroyed on D, especially inside. Their communication and rotations are all falling apart. As I watch, JJ Hickson got Steve Novak in the post, which is errr not where Novak needs to be on D
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #7511 on: January 01, 2013, 08:45:53 PM »
Knicks are playing really bad even without Amare on the court. Don't blame him yet.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7512 on: January 01, 2013, 08:50:51 PM »
Lack of Felton is a big issue as well, obviously. But they should be beating the Blazers.
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #7513 on: January 01, 2013, 08:54:16 PM »
agreed

pilonv1

« Reply #7514 on: January 01, 2013, 09:05:28 PM »
Lack of Felton is a big issue as well, obviously. But they should be beating the Blazers.

Lack of Felton can also be a good thing at times
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7515 on: January 01, 2013, 11:56:10 PM »
Nugggets end clips win streak tonight.

Phoenix Dark

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7517 on: January 02, 2013, 02:29:50 AM »
The awesome thing is that Kobe is doing well enough on offense that he is going to continue jacking up shots even though its pretty clear that's not a good recipe for this team actually winning. I always thought they would make the playoffs but now I'm of the opinion that if he keeps scoring like this,they won't.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7518 on: January 02, 2013, 02:59:39 AM »
I'm going to bed so I don't have time to post a real response but my issue isn't Kobe's shooting is greedy. It that's as a general rule it generally lowers their assist totals as a team and makes them stagnant and predictable on offense.

I hope he continues scoring over 30 a game. But then I also want them to not make the playoffs. So win win.  :)

Beezy

« Reply #7519 on: January 02, 2013, 08:34:32 PM »

:lol

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #7520 on: January 03, 2013, 12:34:53 AM »
:rofl

AMC

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7521 on: January 03, 2013, 12:48:17 AM »
Some good games tonight.

I was bored so I was looking at the Western Conference standings and as of right now the best the Lakers could do is a 6th place finish in the western conference and 6th is highly unlikely unless they rattle off like a dozen wins in a row or something.

1 thru 5 are all solid teams with the lowest win percentage at 5 being .677. No way in hell they could crack that.

Then you look at denver who is 18 and 15 and the current #7 seed but they are actually a lot better than that record. They've played 11 home games and 22 road games right now. Once the math evens up there they will be a lot better and probably eventually locked in at the #6 slot.

That leaves Houston, Denver, Portland, Minnesota, Utah, and the Lakers all scrabbling for that 7th and 8th spot. Obviously the Lakers could make it in over those teams but it will not be easy. I think they are easily better than Portland. Minnesota kinda seems like a mess to me right now even though you can't really count out Adelman. I think Houston seems to be gelling a bit. And Utah is always tough albeit boring. Should be fun. And of course you still have like 50 games to go for most teams so this is a bit premature.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 12:52:56 AM by Stoney Mason »

etiolate

pilonv1

« Reply #7523 on: January 03, 2013, 03:59:49 AM »
:rofl

(Image removed from quote.)

Kent Bazemore does this at least 2-3 times a game. It's fucking awesome
itm

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7524 on: January 03, 2013, 06:58:11 PM »
woo!  philly back at the 8 seed, only six away from becoming the second seed!!! :rock

spoiler (click to show/hide)
i hate myself
[close]
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7525 on: January 03, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »
also is there a reason why the west has more games played by like three compared to the east?  were the first few games all west teams?
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7526 on: January 03, 2013, 07:24:41 PM »
The Wolves have had terrible, terrible injury trouble - I can't recall seeing them start their best line-up all year. Love is like a different player too - not sure whether it's injury or pique or what. I think they are better than their record for sure but we won't know til we've seen a healthy Love and Rubio play big minutes for a while.
vjj

pilonv1

« Reply #7527 on: January 03, 2013, 07:29:19 PM »
Love is like a different player too - not sure whether it's injury or pique or what.

He's the Monta Ellis of forwards.
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7528 on: January 04, 2013, 04:44:19 PM »
Lakers play the Clippers tonight.

Beezy

« Reply #7529 on: January 04, 2013, 04:51:18 PM »
Dis gon' be good. None of you assholes watched Knicks/Spurs last night?

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7530 on: January 04, 2013, 05:57:39 PM »
I caught the insane JR Smith alley-oop, dat was tits
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7531 on: January 04, 2013, 06:30:39 PM »
I caught the insane JR Smith alley-oop, dat was tits

He's always been good for some amazing dunks.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #7532 on: January 04, 2013, 09:41:20 PM »
also is there a reason why the west has more games played by like three compared to the east?  were the first few games all west teams?
I think there's been a couple games cancelled in the East due to the weather, but most likely are scheduling flukes since some teams have to coordinate with other events more often than others do. Like the Bulls and Spurs have to do those road trips for the circus/rodeo or whatever it is every year.

Love is like a different player too - not sure whether it's injury or pique or what.
There was some talk last week that he was telling people he was done with Minnesota and had checked out. Maybe Laker fan dreams though.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7533 on: January 04, 2013, 10:36:55 PM »
Yeah, Hurricane Sandy caused a few cancellations in NY which had a ripple effect but AFAIK they have already been rescheduled and played.

Love is definitely giving off weird vibes and doesn't seem to be battling the way he used to on the boards. Could be fear of reinjuring the hand I guess, but he has never been impressed with the Wolves' management. It's a bit weird now because they have actually stumbled into a good line-up that still has upside from trades and picks (I think...) and Rubio's development.

Gearing up for Lakers-Clips now :hyper

Heat-Bulls still close but looking rough for the Heat. That oop from Wade to LeBron was disgusting though - I was sure Wade had blown the pass but LBJ finished it anyway, total god mode
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7534 on: January 04, 2013, 10:38:38 PM »
rose-less bulls beating the heat, smh
püp

Beezy

« Reply #7535 on: January 04, 2013, 10:40:43 PM »
Jamal Crawford not playing tonight. He's on my fantasy squad. :-\

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7536 on: January 04, 2013, 10:56:27 PM »
rose-less bulls beating the heat, smh

It's painful watching Miami play at this point. You only need to tune in to the 4th quarter when the effort level actually starts.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #7537 on: January 04, 2013, 10:59:22 PM »
Frank didn't play Austin Daye for almost two months and now he's bombing in threes from everywhere.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7538 on: January 04, 2013, 11:20:36 PM »
Clippers kicking ass early. I like it.

pilonv1

« Reply #7539 on: January 04, 2013, 11:21:54 PM »
Me too, will have them over-confident for the Warriors game tomorrow
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7540 on: January 05, 2013, 12:26:22 AM »
lol. Blake Griffin just took out an 8 year old.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7541 on: January 05, 2013, 12:28:01 AM »

why would beating a sub .500 team at home make them overconfident
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7542 on: January 05, 2013, 12:29:32 AM »
Nasty Blake dunk there.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7543 on: January 05, 2013, 12:30:39 AM »
lol. Blake Griffin just took out an 8 year old.

taking a quick break from taking out 34 year olds
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7544 on: January 05, 2013, 12:33:16 AM »
You can tell Jeff Van Gundy delights a little bit inside taking every little did he can at Dwight. He never goes over the line though where it would be too noticeable.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7545 on: January 05, 2013, 12:40:29 AM »
Probably just because I'm hating but this has been a fun game as a hater.

Jesus Christ the Lakers need to trade Pau Gasol right now if they aren't going to do anything with him. It's a waste of his career.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7546 on: January 05, 2013, 12:50:01 AM »
One thing I'd like to see them try is have Pau play the 5 on offense and Dwight the 4. Post up Pau and have him feed shooters, and have Nash and Dwight run pick and rolls. On D they can still put Dwight under the basket of course. Dwight is fine in the post but it's not his biggest strength. Pau is also fine at the top of the key or wherever but it's not his biggest strength either, especially if he only gets late-in-the-shot clock crumbs there.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7547 on: January 05, 2013, 01:17:22 AM »
Tight. Kobe has had a great night.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7548 on: January 05, 2013, 01:21:38 AM »
but that won't happen cormac because dantoni
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7549 on: January 05, 2013, 01:25:58 AM »
dat all pro Kobe defense

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7550 on: January 05, 2013, 01:32:10 AM »
Good game that turned closed there at the end. You really kinda see how they need Crawford to diversify that offense. As explosive as Blake is, he still doesn't have enough moves to be reliable in those end of game situations.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7551 on: January 05, 2013, 01:38:41 AM »

pilonv1

« Reply #7552 on: January 05, 2013, 03:05:04 AM »

why would beating a sub .500 team at home make them overconfident

:lol ouch
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7553 on: January 05, 2013, 06:33:15 AM »
Good game that turned closed there at the end. You really kinda see how they need Crawford to diversify that offense. As explosive as Blake is, he still doesn't have enough moves to be reliable in those end of game situations.

his FT shooting is more of a problem there I think, but the Clips have been getting around this problem (and Jordan's...) by having 15-20pt leads by the 4th quarter of late. It will get exposed in the playoffs I guess, but the Clips could be even deeper by then.
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7554 on: January 05, 2013, 07:05:46 AM »
FThunder dont need to worry
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7555 on: January 05, 2013, 11:59:52 AM »
random aside from last night. Chris Bosh pulled down 5 rebounds last night in 38 minutes.

Taj Gibson pulled down 9 in 17 minutes including 5 of those being offensive rebounds.

Bosh is having his worst rebounding season since his rookie year and its never like his rebounding totals have been awesome since he went to Miami. Despite adding bulk to play center this off-season.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/09/10/chris-bosh-center-heat-muscle-lebron-james-dwyane-wade/

I'm not much of a fan of Chris Bosh.  :-\

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:01:36 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7556 on: January 06, 2013, 09:26:08 PM »
DALLAS -- With the Dallas Mavericks' 12-season playoff streak in serious jeopardy, star forward Dirk Nowitzki expressed strong doubt about the front office's plan for the franchise's future, even wondering whether it'd be in the Mavs' best interests to trade him.

Nowitzki, who was admittedly disappointed and frustrated after the Mavs dropped to eight games below .500 with their eighth loss in nine games Saturday night, told ESPNDallas.com that owner Mark Cuban's post-lockout decision to let Tyson Chandler and other key members of the 2011 title team leave could be judged as "a mistake or not" after seeing whether the Mavs are able to make any major personnel moves this summer.

The plan was to acquire a legitimate superstar in his prime -- or possibly even two -- to lighten the 34-year-old Nowitzki's load in the latter stage of his surefire Hall of Fame career. But Chris Paul and Dwight Howard did not hit the free agency market last summer as anticipated when Dallas decided to create significant salary cap space for the first time in Cuban's 13-year ownership tenure -- they both can be free agents this summer -- and the Mavs' recruiting efforts failed to land Deron Williams.

"It's going to be tough now," Nowitzki said after the Mavs' home overtime loss to the Western Conference cellar-dwelling New Orleans Hornets. "I always liked to think you don't want to build your franchise on hope.

"We hoped for Deron last year. We hoped for Dwight. Why would he leave the Lakers? To me, it makes no sense. He's in a great situation. Why would CP3 leave? (The Los Angeles Clippers are) the best team in the league probably right now. They're probably the deepest team. So are you going to hope that we get something?

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/8819298/dirk-nowitzki-questions-dallas-mavericks-offseason-moves-build-hope

I'll never understand their decision to let Tyson Chandler go.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7557 on: January 06, 2013, 10:52:51 PM »
Chandler basically got a four year max deal from the Knicks, didn't he?

He was the second-most important player on their championship team, but he was also a 7-footer entering his 30's who had just completed his first healthy/effective season in three years.  He carried a certain amount of risk, especially at that price.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7558 on: January 07, 2013, 12:05:23 AM »
Lakers lose at home against the nuggets.

:smug

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7559 on: January 07, 2013, 12:08:34 AM »
That Dwight block/pass to Gallinari :lol

The Lakers are the most entertaining bad team EVER
vjj