Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519558 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread (Lakers week of destiny)
« Reply #7680 on: January 11, 2013, 11:45:42 PM »
Lakers give up 39 points in the 2nd quarter. 64 for the half. Well on their way to 15-21.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7681 on: January 12, 2013, 12:17:19 AM »
You can tell Durant just wants to crush the Lakers tonight.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7682 on: January 12, 2013, 12:30:54 AM »
Durant's got 40 points [on 15-22 shooting] in just the first three quarters. :lol
dog

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #7683 on: January 12, 2013, 01:14:04 AM »
encouraging loss by the Lakers tonight

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7684 on: January 12, 2013, 04:07:22 AM »
Spurs - Grizzles was f'ing GREAT. The Grizz can be so completely inept but the way they defend and score off steals is just so wildly entertaining
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: The NBA thread (Lakers Crash and burn)
« Reply #7685 on: January 13, 2013, 04:32:01 AM »
Chalmers hit TEN three's tonight  :o

spoiler (click to show/hide)
against the kings
[close]

also

:rofl
püp

Smooth Groove

« Reply #7686 on: January 13, 2013, 08:43:12 PM »
Got these from a friend, freaking classic

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #7687 on: January 13, 2013, 10:24:34 PM »
Any team that wants to score in the paint on the cavs can. It's sad to see it happen every night.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7688 on: January 13, 2013, 10:42:44 PM »
Any team that wants to score in the paint on the cavs can. It's sad to see it happen every night.

To be fair they are missing Varejao.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7689 on: January 14, 2013, 03:46:56 AM »
Well, the shitheads managed not to blow that lead. Just five games under .500 now.

püp

Smooth Groove

« Reply #7690 on: January 14, 2013, 09:53:12 PM »
How are the Clips routing without CP3?  I can't watch the game tonight.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7691 on: January 14, 2013, 11:13:46 PM »
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- If the Los Angeles Lakers are going to make a push to get back in the postseason hunt, they'll have to improve their defense.

Therefore, the Lakers have turned to none other than Kobe Bryant to spearhead that defensive turnaround.

Bryant drew the primary defensive assignment against Kyrie Irving on Sunday and limited the Cleveland Cavaliers star guard to just 15 points in the Lakers' 113-93 victory.

In the wake of Bryant's outstanding effort against Irving, Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni has vowed to use the veteran guard in similar defensive situations.

"I think that really helped us," D'Antoni said. "It helped us against the Clippers with Chris Paul. (Bryant) wants to take the challenge, and it really helps us."

::)

They make it so easy to despise them.

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #7692 on: January 14, 2013, 11:34:00 PM »
Maybe if Kobe wasn't whining for calls after many of his shots, his defense would be better in general this year as he got back on defense. But all power to this new master strategy. I'm sure it's going to work gangbusters for them like all the other stuff has.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #7693 on: January 14, 2013, 11:44:31 PM »
At least Lebron didn't steal his nickname from a movie that everybody watched

Smooth Groove

« Reply #7694 on: January 14, 2013, 11:50:23 PM »
I dunno why anyone would take Dave McMenamin and Ramona Shelburne seriously

They're nothing but mouthpieces for Kobe

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7695 on: January 14, 2013, 11:51:56 PM »
I just find the article laughable. They beat the fucking Cavaliers. At Home in Staples.  With the cavs missing their 2nd best player. The very game they got their center back. Not to mention the cavs are just dreadful in general. But they act as if Kobe just shut down Kevin Durant and the Thunder or something. And now the answer is that Kobe is going to step up his defense. In a year where he's been pretty average on defense. And they supposedly have the best defensive player in the NBA (despite injuries) in Dwight Howard. But Kobe drawing the best offensive player is now the magic bullet. It's just laughable. Blame the writer maybe for it but still.

I don't hate Kobe or anything. It just is a ludicrous idea that Kobe's defense is going to fix their ills and they just realized it all of a sudden.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:55:22 PM by Stoney Mason »

Smooth Groove

« Reply #7696 on: January 14, 2013, 11:55:56 PM »
Like I said,  never take Dave McMenamin and Ramona Shelburne seriously

Their main agenda is to make Kobe look good

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7697 on: January 15, 2013, 12:11:08 AM »
And the Heat fucking lose on the road again. Get outrebounded 40 to 23.

Chris Bosh pulls down 1 rebound in 27 minutes. ONE REBOUND. He's pulled down 14 rebounds in the last 4 games total in 130 minutes.

FUCK THIS TEAM.

Time to switch bandwagons!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 12:13:17 AM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7698 on: January 15, 2013, 12:17:39 AM »
Just like Kobe, Bosh needs to dedicate himself to rebounding like Kobe does defense. And that will fix the rebounding problems with this team. It's just that simple!

:'(

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7699 on: January 15, 2013, 12:19:44 AM »
Time to switch bandwagons!

There's still room left on the Thunder bandwagon.
dog

Smooth Groove

« Reply #7700 on: January 15, 2013, 12:21:50 AM »
There's room over here too,

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7701 on: January 15, 2013, 12:28:01 AM »
Didn't think it was possible but Austin Rivers has serious competition for bust of the Rivers family

One more post for tonight before bed. Just noticed this but yeah Austin Rivers is having a historically bad Rookie Campaign. I don't follow college basketball at all anymore so I didn't know much about him but he seems utterly unprepared for the NBA.

He's shooting 33% from the field and 57% from the line. Which is actually better than his last 10 games where he's been shooting 23% from the field. Good lord.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7702 on: January 15, 2013, 12:33:21 AM »
To be fair, that article about Kobe's defense is written by a guy who's basically a Lakers beat reporter.  You check any daily paper's coverage of their local team and there are dozens of stories like that a year, where they take some minor tactical wrinkle, change in player rotation, or an area the coach is stressing in particular that week and stretch it into a story.  Only thanks to the internet and ESPN Los Angeles, it gets spread around more.  No biggie.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #7703 on: January 15, 2013, 12:35:08 AM »
Didn't think it was possible but Austin Rivers has serious competition for bust of the Rivers family

One more post for tonight before bed. Just noticed this but yeah Austin Rivers is having a historically bad Rookie Campaign. I don't follow college basketball at all anymore so I didn't know much about him but he seems utterly unprepared for the NBA.

He's shooting 33% from the field and 57% from the line. Which is actually better than his last 10 games where he's been shooting 23% from the field. Good lord.
not really unexpected for a player whose best attributes were his pedigree and "clutch gene"

pretty sad for someone who was gonna destroy Lebron

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/03/austin-rivers-i-want-to-destroy-lebron-on-the-court-one-day/

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #7704 on: January 15, 2013, 12:36:43 AM »
You could tell in college he was going to be in trouble. He's a sub par athlete for the NBA, and he's a streaky shooter at best. He always had the ball in his hands and can't play off the ball. Never had to deal with longer defenders pressuring him. Didn't had to be a true point guard and run a team at Duke.

I think he's salvageable, but someone is going to need to break him down and rebuild his game. It's not similar to say JJ Redick, who came in with an elite skill and sucked everywhere else, but got stronger and improved his ball handling and defense to where he's now a good NBA player.

Rivers elite skill was confidence, and he's had it beaten out of him.
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7705 on: January 15, 2013, 08:35:28 AM »
Hey, Jimmer Fredette turned it around in a shocking way too, so even Rivers is not a lost cause. But it is a bit like not counting out a team that is down by 20 going into the 4th. It might happen but the odds are way against it.
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7706 on: January 15, 2013, 11:34:18 AM »
Stoney, the time to get upset about the Heat isn't until the second round of the playoffs.  You and I and everyone knows that they're still pretty much gonna be the favorites in the East even if they don't secure the top seed.
püp

ToxicAdam

« Reply #7707 on: January 15, 2013, 11:38:48 AM »
Fredette plays kind of sloppy. At least he did last night in the Cavs game.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #7708 on: January 15, 2013, 12:55:15 PM »
Austin Rivers' bust potential was sealed the minute he committed to Duke. He struggled against good physical teams, didn't shoot well, and wasn't much of a factor in the ncaa tournament. He was never dominant so I was confused why he was so quickly considered a lottery lock before falling to 10.

Doesn't NO have a deep PG/guard lineup? I'm sure he can play better than he is now, but I doubt he'll be much more than a bench player

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7709 on: January 15, 2013, 02:05:14 PM »
Stoney, the time to get upset about the Heat isn't until the second round of the playoffs.  You and I and everyone knows that they're still pretty much gonna be the favorites in the East even if they don't secure the top seed.
Logically I understand that but the heat still annoy the fuck out of me. I respect a team like the bulls that goes out there and plays hard every night superstar or not. it's frustrating when the defending champs don't do the same.

The Heat are out of focus and they're sniping. At their coach, Erik Spoelstra. At each other. Probably at their friends and loved ones, too.

Wade's been in the middle of it a few times on the trip. Last week in Indianapolis, he scored 23 points in the first half of a game and then didn't get a shot in the third quarter. Monday, he didn't play in the fourth quarter -- calling it a benching isn't accurate -- when Spoelstra decided to play James with four bench players as the Heat attempted a rally that fell short.

"I don't know, I just always stay ready," Wade said curtly but not disrespectfully, much like he treated his disappearance from the offense in the loss in Indiana. "Coach makes the calls. I'm just a player."

Wade's body language said enough. Before the Heat left on this trip, Wade was asked if he missed the days of taking 20 to 25 shots a game. The days before James and Bosh and being relegated to the third option some nights. Wade's response: "Every day."

A few days ago, Bosh said the Heat weren't doing enough to ride players with "hot hands" after he was forgotten in the offense during a night when he shot 13-for-18 in a loss at Portland. He was referring to himself and Wade, the direction of the comment not being clear.

Monday morning he explained why he was going on a push on Twitter to get All-Star votes on the last day for fans to cast ballots. He was just 35,000 votes behind getting his first starting spot.

"Just being competitive," Bosh said. "I saw that I was behind, and I'm like, 'All right, whatever I can do.' It's not everything, but in the spirit of competition, let me do what I can."

Then Bosh got one rebound in 27 minutes as the Heat were whipped 40-23 on the boards and outscored 19-0 in second-chance points by the Jazz. He's averaging just five rebounds a game over the past seven games and is currently averaging the fewest rebounds of his career. It was not being competitive.

His explanation was the following:

"Sometimes I'm in position where I have to compete with my teammates for a rebound and sometimes I do get beat, I'm human," said Bosh. "In the beginning of the game, I guess a few times I'm going to beat my own teammates. I don't pay attention to numbers."

Unless, apparently, they're All-Star voting numbers. Nonetheless, Bosh has been using this friendly fire rebounding excuse often recently. It seems he's finding it harder to say with immunity.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:10:24 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7710 on: January 15, 2013, 02:22:16 PM »

:lol

etiolate

« Reply #7711 on: January 15, 2013, 04:28:49 PM »
Fredette plays kind of sloppy. At least he did last night in the Cavs game.

He still needs to improve his ball handling and defense. They don't normally play Jimmer without Reke or Salmons on the court to handle the ball for him. He's vastly improved over last year where he didn't look like he even belonged in the NBA.

He's been given the backup PG spot over Aaron Brooks. It's like the one good roster move Smart has done this year. Brooks is just straight fuckball.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7712 on: January 15, 2013, 08:46:46 PM »
Stoney, I get the frustration but you know the Bulls HAVE to play hard every night - it's the only way they can win enough games to keep them in the hunt 'til Rose gets back. They are killing Noah and Deng - I seriously think Thibs is taking years off Deng's career. There is absolutely no reason to beat down the Heat's Big 3 like that during the regular season, unless LeBron decides he wants to chase a few more low-hanging records.
vjj

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7714 on: January 17, 2013, 03:13:47 AM »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #7715 on: January 17, 2013, 04:59:11 AM »
He was never dominant so I was confused why he was so quickly considered a lottery lock before falling to 10.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7716 on: January 17, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »
Heat versus the Lakers tonight at LA.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7717 on: January 17, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »
Battle of The Regular Season Chokers and the Epic Failures
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7718 on: January 17, 2013, 07:27:34 PM »
LeBron was fucking unreal against GSW. I continue to be amazed at how he shakes off blows that would have Vince Carter in the ICU. I was thinking it might be fun to search back through this thread for when the news about the Heat coming together first broke, because I'm sure I was saying stuff like 'whoo hoo, think about all the havoc LeBron will wreak now that he can play off the ball and let Wade initiate the offense!' :lol   I was so wrong on that one. He's a point guard, and a dominant one. If that's all he ever did, he'd have a Hall of Fame career. He just also happens to be a dominant 3 and 4. 5k assists doesn't happen just because you get a lot of touches.

Lakers are looking significantly better now that Dwight is more sprightly. He's not yet dominant but he's back in the elite category I think.
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7719 on: January 17, 2013, 07:28:44 PM »
The most dominant player on the floor,

but can't dominate male pattern baldness  :'(
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7720 on: January 17, 2013, 07:29:40 PM »
my thinking on that is that if Tim Ferriss can't beat it, no-one can
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7721 on: January 17, 2013, 10:48:01 PM »
Miami just stunting on the Lakers so far

and a Nash airball, followed by a turnover? disappointing.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7722 on: January 17, 2013, 10:54:01 PM »
I would so like to trade Chris Bosh. Let's see if he can actually get any rebounds tonight and not just shoot deep jumpers.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7723 on: January 17, 2013, 10:55:09 PM »
you need the DMC
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7724 on: January 17, 2013, 11:06:42 PM »
clark on lebron :rofl
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7725 on: January 17, 2013, 11:11:01 PM »
I would so like to trade Chris Bosh. Let's see if he can actually get any rebounds tonight and not just shoot deep jumpers.

any feasible options before the deadline?  somebody who can grab boards I suppose, but bosh's midlevel jumpers can be pretty lethal, don't know if I'd trade that away
püp

ToxicAdam

« Reply #7726 on: January 17, 2013, 11:16:53 PM »
Ugly game.  Feels likei I'm watching the cavs and bobcats.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7727 on: January 17, 2013, 11:17:36 PM »

any feasible options before the deadline?  somebody who can grab boards I suppose, but bosh's midlevel jumpers can be pretty lethal, don't know if I'd trade that away

To be fair I'm kinda hating. If you discount his rebounding Bosh is technically having a really good season. He's shooting like 55% and always has a solid FT%. I think a large part of that is the presence of Lebron but going by the numbers Bosh is pretty good. I just wish we had a more physical and traditional center. Honestly I would rather have Pau despite his awful numbers. I have a feeling if you put him with Lebron he would put up nearly the same numbers as Bosh currently does and I think he's actually a little more physical than Bosh.

But back to reality there is no way they would trade Bosh. He's playing too well and I think any trade of Bosh is an admission of failure and the heat seem like a team that would rather run into a brick wall than admit certain mistakes.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #7728 on: January 17, 2013, 11:19:49 PM »
Miami needs an energy guy like varejao. Someone that plays defense but isn't a complete liability on offense.

Joel Anthony just isn't cutting it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:22:50 PM by ToxicAdam »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7729 on: January 17, 2013, 11:21:32 PM »
Miami needs an energy guy like varejao. Someone that plays defense but isn't a complete liability on offense.

I would kill for Varejao but there is no way in hell we could get him.  :'(

He would be a huge improvement over Bosh for this team.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7730 on: January 17, 2013, 11:21:44 PM »
Cousins is totally available but he would take a bunch of stuff off the table obviously. Riley would never go for it unless the Heat were in real trouble right now, which they are not. All they need to do is play their rebounders more minutes and sacrifice some offense and the rebounding will improve.

You also have the Jazz's 4 man big rotation - surely some of those guys are gonna get moved. Bargnani also totally available but that would be :lol
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7731 on: January 17, 2013, 11:25:18 PM »
I haven't been following the Cavs as closely as I used to when I lived in Cleveland...I know Varejao is having a good season but I always hated him a few years ago.  Always thought he was a flopping Sideshow Bob.  Is he having a good offensive season or something?  Or is he just playing really great defense?
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7732 on: January 17, 2013, 11:26:50 PM »
Well, he's injured so his trade potential just plummeted. He's averaging like 14-14, which is pretty hot. With great D.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7733 on: January 17, 2013, 11:28:46 PM »
I haven't been following the Cavs as closely as I used to when I lived in Cleveland...I know Varejao is having a good season but I always hated him a few years ago.  Always thought he was a flopping Sideshow Bob.  Is he having a good offensive season or something?  Or is he just playing really great defense?

Varejao just gives a shitload of effort and energy. He would not be a guy on the heat who just mails in the regular season. What he lacks in technical skills, he makes up for with hustle which I just really like. He was probably going to the All-Star game this year if he hadn't got hurt.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7734 on: January 17, 2013, 11:28:59 PM »
yeah I knew he was hurt, but if he's having a great season I don't know why the cavs would even consider trading him considering the season they're having
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7735 on: January 17, 2013, 11:31:15 PM »
the heat are playing garbage half-court offense
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7736 on: January 17, 2013, 11:31:22 PM »
he's not even old or overpaid...and apparently the Cavs are asking for the sun, the moon and the stars for him so it's likely nothing will happen
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7737 on: January 17, 2013, 11:32:22 PM »
yeah I knew he was hurt, but if he's having a great season I don't know why the cavs would even consider trading him considering the season they're having

He's probably the most tradeable asset on that team because he's not good enough to take that team to another level but he could really help a title contender or just a decent team that needs what he brings. You wouldn't trade Irving because he's who you are going to build around for the future but Varejao is just valuable trade bait for them really imo. 

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7738 on: January 17, 2013, 11:33:24 PM »
kobe's like 3 for 11 lol
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7739 on: January 17, 2013, 11:33:42 PM »
Irving needs to be in the All Star game btw, he's having a far better season than Rondo or :yuck Deron IMHO
vjj