Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519558 times)

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #7740 on: January 17, 2013, 11:39:39 PM »
Antawn Jamison has to be one of the biggest garbage time players in nba history. He puts up good stats but you are hard pressed to remember a game where he was a difference maker in a win.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:42:38 PM by ToxicAdam »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7741 on: January 17, 2013, 11:41:11 PM »
he was one of the worst moves the cavs made during that last season where lebron was there  :yuck
püp

ToxicAdam

« Reply #7742 on: January 17, 2013, 11:43:13 PM »
He wasn't much better with the Wizards either. He would always choke in the playoffs.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #7743 on: January 17, 2013, 11:43:41 PM »
He was never dominant so I was confused why he was so quickly considered a lottery lock before falling to 10.

Skip  :lol

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7744 on: January 17, 2013, 11:44:07 PM »
he's a disgusting cherry picker who plays no D and is never around the ball when it counts
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7745 on: January 17, 2013, 11:57:08 PM »
from nba-gaf:

I still maintain if the Lakers could cut their turnovers down they would beat Miami in a series. Miami is to small.

fucking loooooool
püp

ToxicAdam

« Reply #7746 on: January 18, 2013, 12:08:43 AM »
The problem with that hypothesis is that they need to get through three rounds of  better balanced teams to get the chance.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7747 on: January 18, 2013, 12:21:28 AM »
kobe is terrible
püp

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #7748 on: January 18, 2013, 12:37:44 AM »
Lebron is killing tonight.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7749 on: January 18, 2013, 12:39:12 AM »
in typical fashion, everyone at gaf thinks bron's been fouling everytime he has the ball.  suffering from shinobi symptoms.
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7750 on: January 18, 2013, 12:49:20 AM »
Can't believe Nash is failing to make basic entry passes to these guys. Heat perimeter D is god-tier. Still, the Lakers are looking good when they can actually run something.
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7751 on: January 18, 2013, 12:52:20 AM »
we got a shoot-out!
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7752 on: January 18, 2013, 12:54:08 AM »
hahahahahahahha

fantastic
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7753 on: January 18, 2013, 12:55:24 AM »
Kobe is a bad motherfucker alright
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7754 on: January 18, 2013, 12:55:36 AM »
fun game despite how sloppy its been on both sides.  lebron and wade are pretty much all the heat have at the moment, and the lakers' big men are actually playing pretty well with kobe finally turning on in the last period.  good shit.
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7755 on: January 18, 2013, 12:56:09 AM »
so when does Battier rip off his jersey to reveal the Lakers one underneath
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7756 on: January 18, 2013, 12:57:18 AM »
Seriously.  he's been awful.  but so has everyone else in regards to perimeter shooting other than bron and wade.

where's miller!!!!!  :lol
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7757 on: January 18, 2013, 12:58:57 AM »
fucking lol at that alley oop pass
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7758 on: January 18, 2013, 01:00:58 AM »
Miami should hack Dwight for the next two minutes.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7759 on: January 18, 2013, 01:01:53 AM »
Holy shit, a post entry pass that got through....feel like someone just hit a 60 footer
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7760 on: January 18, 2013, 01:03:52 AM »
I like to bitch about refs as much as the next joe shmoe, but good lord at laker fans at some of the forums I visit, including gaf.  LOLOLOLO MIAMIREFS AMIRITE STERN SUX

christ.
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7761 on: January 18, 2013, 01:08:49 AM »
Whoohoo the mole is gone
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7762 on: January 18, 2013, 01:09:49 AM »
Was a good game. Looks like Miami is gonna take it but it wasn't easy. Lakers played well for them.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7763 on: January 18, 2013, 01:10:48 AM »
lebron is just fucking amazing
püp

ToxicAdam

« Reply #7764 on: January 18, 2013, 01:11:20 AM »
That sequence was pretty amazing. Both the new Lakers fail hard and then lebron nails the dagger.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #7765 on: January 18, 2013, 01:11:31 AM »
What's with the 4th quarter commentary?  Bron is clearly the best player on the floor yet most of the talk was focused on Kobe-Jordan comparisons. 

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7766 on: January 18, 2013, 01:15:28 AM »
What's with the 4th quarter commentary?  Bron is clearly the best player on the floor yet most of the talk was focused on Kobe-Jordan comparisons.

kobe retirement coming

we can only hope
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7767 on: January 18, 2013, 01:16:21 AM »
Well, that's Reggie...loves that reflected glory. Probably thinks of MJ as his rival :lol
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7768 on: January 18, 2013, 01:17:50 AM »
Stern loves his Heat. Whatcha gonna do.
What are the chances we can ever see in professional sports, fines to referees?

I don't mean this season, but you know ever. If they just miss calls left and right, or call things incorrectly so blatantly?
I think I know why LeBron was trying so hard, because Kobe had more all-star votes. It all make sense now.
Joey Crawford can also go fuck himself with his unequal calls. It didnt cost them the game but seriously fuck that guy.

the tears.  the gorgeous tears.

also if that last quote is true, WTF.
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7769 on: January 18, 2013, 01:27:58 AM »
Tom Haberstroh with the only stat that matters

LeBron and Kobe each took 25 FGA. LeBron scored 39, Kobe 22.
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7770 on: January 18, 2013, 01:41:10 AM »
Born in Pittsburgh, but we moved to Ohio and we lived in Lebron's home town while he played basketball in middle and high school.  Went to every single St. Vincent-St. Mary game in 2002 and 2003.  Wasn't an NBA fan growing up other than being infatuated with Jordan since he had so much media attention.  As a Pittsburgh native, I had no real team to root for, so I just enjoyed watching the playoffs when they were broadcasted. When Lebron got drafted to the Cavs, seeing as though I had been a fan of his and had personally met him (my oldest sister was good friends with some of his friends), I rooted for Lebron in Cleveland.  And as much as I hated The Decision, I'm going to root for Lebron no matter where he is, because I've been a fan ever since he was basically 15 years old.

My teams:

NFL: Steelers
MLB: Pirates/Indians
NHL: Penguins
NBA: Cavs and Lebron

I dont care how shitty it sounds to you.  Those teams are what have historically entertained and made me feel excited in the last 15 odd years.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:43:28 AM by BrandNew »
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7771 on: January 18, 2013, 01:44:48 AM »
well i'm Irish and I like the Celtics. i think that's pretty much unassailable
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7772 on: January 18, 2013, 01:53:31 AM »
Well, this is the prime of the greatest player of our era's career. If you can't enjoy i feel bad for you son etc

Dunno about you but I fucking hated the Lakers during Kobe's prime but I still loved watching him play
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7773 on: January 18, 2013, 02:09:06 AM »
that's pretty irrational but i'm not gonna waste the time trying to convince you - it's been 10 years and he clearly fucking IS the Chosen One
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7774 on: January 18, 2013, 02:10:42 AM »
Lebron always struck a chord with me that other superstars didn't. I think its because I grew up with Bird and Magic so my favorite type of player was somebody who could kind of do it all. Pass, score, and rebound and Lebron is a throwback to that.

Jordan was a different type of player. I respected Jordan, but he wasn't my personal type of favorite player and personally I actually didn't like him or the bulls. I think he's the greatest player to ever play the game and intellectually I completely understand that but he wasn't my favorite unlike most basketball fans of that era.

Kobe for me falls into the Jordan camp. I intellectually and aesthetically appreciate his game but it was never my favorite brand of basketball.

My hometown never had a basketball team so I was always more player focused when it came to rooting for teams.

As a kid I was a huge Celtics fan. But once Parish, McHale, and Bird were done, I never quite felt the same for the franchise although I do retain a soft spot for them. After a few years my team become the Magic as I really fell in love with Shaq and Penny Hardaway. Penny was another one of those do it all kind of players that I tend to fall for.

After that era ended oddly enough the next team I adopted was that Pistons team that won a title and was good for a number of years. Aesthetically they were ugly as hell on offense but I found them really compelling the way that team felt like a real unit. Every player was better because of the way they fit and that was very appealing to me.

Then Lebron came and I immediately gravitated to him. I didn't like the Cavs but I liked him so I rooted for the Cavs. Once he went to Miami that was even better since it was a florida team and my home state.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 02:18:44 AM by Stoney Mason »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7775 on: January 18, 2013, 02:18:34 AM »
Lakers would have won if it was a 1v1 between Kobe and a random Heat player

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7776 on: January 18, 2013, 03:15:48 AM »
Lakers would have won if it was a 1v1 between Kobe and a random Heat player

aka derp
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7777 on: January 18, 2013, 03:09:15 PM »
Somehow I missed this one. Old but funny.

Beezy

« Reply #7778 on: January 18, 2013, 04:42:03 PM »
wtf :lol

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #7779 on: January 18, 2013, 04:57:50 PM »
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225655/McGrady_Denies_Ever_Playing_Kobe_One_On_One_In_Germany

Kobe Bryant told ESPN on Thursday that he beat Tracy McGrady in a one-on-one game early in their careers during a promotional tour in Germany.

"When I was about 20, we were in Germany doing some promotional stuff for that other sneaker company and we played basketball every day," said Bryant. "We were in the gym all the time. We played three games of one-on-one to 11. I won all three games. One game I won 11-2. After the third game he said he had back spasms and couldn’t play anymore."

McGrady heard about Bryant's version of the story and responded on Twitter.

"LOL Hell no! That's far from the truth. No one in the NBA is playing 1 on 1. Me and KB never went to Germany together either.."

edit:
In the summer of 1998, Kobe turned 20 after McGrady's first season in which he averaged 7.0 points and 1.5 assists. In 1999, Kobe turned 21 after McGrady's second season season in which he averaged 9.3 points and 2.3 assists.

He was a ninth overall pick playing for the Craptors--why would anyone in Germany want to see him play.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:10:23 PM by Flannel Boy »

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7780 on: January 18, 2013, 05:16:45 PM »
Me and Google:

Jun 20, 2003 / --- NBA Superstar Tracy "TMAC" McGrady began his offseason with a visit to Germany.

After Berlin, TMAC and his group went to the adidas Headquarters in southern Germany. TMAC and adidas CEO, Herbert Hainer, introduced the new T-MAC 3 (will hit retailers on November 1, 2003) to the crowd.

"It is a great feeling to have your own shoe. Each year I have worked with the adidas design team to make the shoe even better. I can tell you that the T-MAC 3 is the best one yet," added TMAC.

Both the T-MAC 1 (launched in January 2002) and the T-MAC 2 (launched November, 2002) quickly became the number one selling sports shoe in the US.

Then TMAC put on a basketball show for the adidas employees and the media. A three on three tournament took place at the adidas World of Sports complex. The games featured teams led by TMAC, his brother Chance McGrady and Bob Myers of TMAC's management agency, SFX. 
Odd they didn't mention Kobe, who was about to turn 25.

It was TMAC's second European trip, both being in connection with adidas, as he was in Paris for the 1998 adidas EURO abc Camp.
OK, my inductive argument was shit. But, still.

edit: beaten by realgm forums
The facts so far :
- Antoine Walker had his ADIDAS basketball camp in Chicago, USA, in 1998. Not Germany.
- T-Mac went to Germany for ADIDAS basketball camp in 2003. Not 1998.
- T-Mac was in Paris, France for his ADIDAS camp in 1998.
- It could not have been in 1999, because TMAC's camp was in Taiwan.

I like that this board has completely discounted that there is even a possibility Google would not know that they were in Germany at the same time. If Google doesn't have it, NO WAY!

:lol
Shit, is altavista or lycos still around?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:27:15 PM by Flannel Boy »

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7781 on: January 18, 2013, 05:33:24 PM »
On the other hand, would Kobe ever lie about a one-on-one encounter.

Beezy

« Reply #7782 on: January 18, 2013, 05:40:54 PM »
On the other hand, would Kobe ever lie about a one-on-one encounter.
:ohhh

etiolate

« Reply #7783 on: January 18, 2013, 05:48:57 PM »

MEANWHILE IN ACTUAL NEWS

Alvin Gentry got fired. COME TO THE KINGS AAAAAAAAAAALVIN

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7784 on: January 18, 2013, 05:51:33 PM »
I thought you said real news?

Right there he had created a challenge for himself. He created challenges where other players saw nothing. To this day, my favorite one is the LaBradford Smith saga. The story goes that back when Smith was playing for the Bullets, he scored 37 against Jordan and the Bulls one night in Chicago. Jordan put out the word that Smith had mocked him by saying, "Nice game, Mike." Jordan said he wanted all 37 back in the first half the next night in Capital Centre, and he got 36 of them. By halftime.

Now, here's where the good stuff starts. Jordan, with that signature wink, finally admitted last year he'd made up the whole thing. What's even more amazing is that the Bullets players were so in awe of him, Smith never denied the story and his teammates believed Jordan. In fact, Bullets who didn't even play with Smith had passed on the story and believed it. Even more amazing: Jordan used a fictional story to fire himself up, meaning more than likely, he had to believe the story.

Kobe jocking MJ again.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #7785 on: January 18, 2013, 05:54:08 PM »
The real question- was Lennay Kekua at this Kobe/T-mac 1on1?
yar

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7786 on: January 18, 2013, 07:05:09 PM »
The real question- was Lennay Kekua at this Kobe/T-mac 1on1?

She was and, according to Kobe, she consented to everything.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7787 on: January 18, 2013, 07:06:06 PM »

MEANWHILE IN ACTUAL NEWS

This from someone regularly posting about the Seattle Kings.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7788 on: January 18, 2013, 07:23:59 PM »
and Stern's NBA
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7789 on: January 18, 2013, 07:25:12 PM »

This bullshit about not wanting to play one-on-one or appear in the Slam Dunk contest has got to end. Kyrie Irving has the right idea - just bust people on camera and say it's for charity, eventually someone will cave. I mean, we need to see LeBron vs Durant throw down before they're 50. Who'd have a problem with replacing the skills challenge with a one-on-one grudge match on mic? Other than maybe Larry Brown
vjj

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7790 on: January 18, 2013, 07:28:41 PM »

This bullshit about not wanting to play one-on-one or appear in the Slam Dunk contest has got to end. Kyrie Irving has the right idea - just bust people on camera and say it's for charity, eventually someone will cave. I mean, we need to see LeBron vs Durant throw down before they're 50. Who'd have a problem with replacing the skills challenge with a one-on-one grudge match on mic? Other than maybe Larry Brown

$5 million prize, with half to charity.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7791 on: January 18, 2013, 07:32:26 PM »
would kickstart.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7792 on: January 18, 2013, 08:54:46 PM »
ok, the True Hoop piece on scoring is brilliant and explains a lot about why scorers with elite passing skills (like LeBron, Westbrook - who you may not think is a skilled passer but look at the numbers before you say something stupid...) or the ability to shoot over any defense (Durant, Melo, Kobe, Dirk) are the only ones still putting up big scoring numbers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/53534/where-have-all-the-gunners-gone

OTOH I wish he would STFU about ramping up drug testing. Don't you LIKE that Tim Duncan, Kobe and Nash are still playing at elite levels, and that LeBron and Westbrook never miss games? Why the fuck would you want to look any closer at that? I just don't get it. Clearly the testing they are doing now is not affecting the playing field in any way, since lots of different teams are being successful, and players are healthier and playing longer than ever. I mean, Grant Hill! Kurt Thomas! These guys are recovering better from their training, which means they are HEALTHIER and more likely to live long and productive lives after basketball. What is the goddamn problem Henry
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7793 on: January 18, 2013, 08:55:46 PM »
God i hope Kosma doesn't see this
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7794 on: January 18, 2013, 10:08:40 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7795 on: January 18, 2013, 10:11:34 PM »
Crazy bulls finish.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7796 on: January 18, 2013, 10:14:28 PM »
In the NBA, every finish is Bull. -etiolate

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7797 on: January 18, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
ok, the True Hoop piece on scoring is brilliant and explains a lot about why scorers with elite passing skills (like LeBron, Westbrook - who you may not think is a skilled passer but look at the numbers before you say something stupid...) or the ability to shoot over any defense (Durant, Melo, Kobe, Dirk) are the only ones still putting up big scoring numbers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/53534/where-have-all-the-gunners-gone

OTOH I wish he would STFU about ramping up drug testing. Don't you LIKE that Tim Duncan, Kobe and Nash are still playing at elite levels, and that LeBron and Westbrook never miss games? Why the fuck would you want to look any closer at that? I just don't get it. Clearly the testing they are doing now is not affecting the playing field in any way, since lots of different teams are being successful, and players are healthier and playing longer than ever. I mean, Grant Hill! Kurt Thomas! These guys are recovering better from their training, which means they are HEALTHIER and more likely to live long and productive lives after basketball. What is the goddamn problem Henry

If Lebron wasn't putting up another stupid crazy season again people would be all over Durant because he is also having a hell of a season. Actually I think if the Thunder end up with the best record in the league they will give it to Durant anyway because they are tired of giving it to Lebron even though he deserves it again this year.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7798 on: January 18, 2013, 11:08:52 PM »
twitter is going crazy over Jeff Van Gundy apparently shitting on his guest host over weak foul calling. Anyone watching ESPN right now lol, is it as bad as folks are saying?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7799 on: January 18, 2013, 11:53:30 PM »
twitter is going crazy over Jeff Van Gundy apparently shitting on his guest host over weak foul calling. Anyone watching ESPN right now lol, is it as bad as folks are saying?

It's Jeff Van Gundy being his usual self. No big deal.