Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1520733 times)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #8640 on: February 27, 2013, 11:23:10 PM »
fucking knicks
püp

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #8641 on: February 27, 2013, 11:49:08 PM »

Beezy

« Reply #8642 on: February 28, 2013, 12:06:53 AM »
fucking knicks
Why do you care? We weren't playing Lebron or the Cavs.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8643 on: February 28, 2013, 12:18:38 AM »
I wouldve liked to see curry be able to lift em to a win
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8644 on: February 28, 2013, 02:59:36 AM »
time for a 76er update i think Brand New
vjj

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #8645 on: February 28, 2013, 03:20:25 AM »
|

In November, former WNBA star Chamique Holdsclaw was arrested after a violent incident involving an ex-girlfriend. According to reports, Holdsclaw followed Jennifer Lacy (her ex and teammate with the Atlanta Dream in 2009) in her car, smashed windows in Lacy's car with a baseball bat, and even fired a gunshot into the car while Lacy was still inside. It was an awful, disturbing story involving a woman who was once the biggest name in her sport.

On Wednesday, Holdsclaw was indicted on charges related to this incident. From Rachel George for USA Today (via Deadspin):
Former WNBA star Chamique Holdsclaw was indicted on six counts by a Fulton (Ga.) County grand jury on Wednesday in relation to a November incident with her ex-girlfriend.
Holdsclaw, 35, faces two counts of aggravated assault, one count of criminal damage in the first degree, two counts of criminal damage in the second degree and one count of possession of a firearm in commission of a felony. [...]
"We're still working with the DA's office in Fulton County," Holdsclaw's attorney, Patrick Sullivan, told USA TODAY Sports Wednesday, adding that he could not comment further at this time.
According to TMZ.com, Holdsclaw could face up to 65 years in prison if found guilty on all six counts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/former-wnba-star-chamique-holdsclaw-indicted-faces-65-011137191--nba.html

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8646 on: February 28, 2013, 03:27:43 AM »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #8647 on: February 28, 2013, 07:00:14 AM »
Another  mind-blowing LeBron factoid - his LOWEST FG% this season was 52. Meaning he essentially hasn't had an off-night all season. May hit 64% for Feb, which would be the first time anyone has done that for a month

Nah, that's his low mark for February.  Which is still fairly insane.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8648 on: February 28, 2013, 01:00:15 PM »
Knicks started off the season 18-5. Since then they've been basically .500 at  16-15

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8649 on: February 28, 2013, 01:17:21 PM »

:lol

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8650 on: February 28, 2013, 07:52:45 PM »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8651 on: February 28, 2013, 08:04:17 PM »
Keenly await Smooth's analysis of LeBron's BF%
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8652 on: February 28, 2013, 11:08:13 PM »

Ricky is looking a lot better in the past few weeks  :-*

also, holy shit, almost 200pgs :bow

best Bore non-sticky ever
vjj

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #8653 on: February 28, 2013, 11:13:13 PM »
Imagine how good Ricky would be with some competent shooters, instead of Ridnour, Barea and Williams
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8654 on: February 28, 2013, 11:34:50 PM »
TWolves are just comedy levels of injured but yeah. Love will be their best shooter by far when he gets back I think
vjj

pilonv1

« Reply #8655 on: March 01, 2013, 01:47:52 AM »
TWolves are just comedy levels of injured but yeah. Love will be their best shooter by far when he gets back I think

I'd say Air Bud when he is fit because Love is just a big chucker, but he's probably back first.

I'd like to see Rubio play with guys like Ray Allen and Nic Batum. Would be magical.
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8656 on: March 01, 2013, 01:56:49 AM »
i'd like to see him on the 2001 Sac Kings baby, Webber, Divac, Peja and Rubio oh mah gerrdddd
vjj

pilonv1

« Reply #8657 on: March 01, 2013, 03:19:48 AM »
I don't think there's anything better in basketball than great passing
itm

etiolate

« Reply #8658 on: March 01, 2013, 03:57:47 PM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9001228/mayor-kevin-johnson-reveals-plan-keep-sacramento-kings-moving-seattle

Mastrov the 24hour fitness owner will be the big money bidder and Burkle will be the one working on the arena. It was nice to see Mitch Richmond contribute to the minority ownership group.

« Reply #8659 on: March 01, 2013, 04:21:37 PM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9001228/mayor-kevin-johnson-reveals-plan-keep-sacramento-kings-moving-seattle

Mastrov the 24hour fitness owner will be the big money bidder and Burkle will be the one working on the arena. It was nice to see Mitch Richmond contribute to the minority ownership group.

Mastrov is only estimated to be worth around $350 million. Strange that Burkle isn't involved in purchasing the team at all. The next 6-7 weeks are going to be interesting. It could still go either way.
野球

etiolate

« Reply #8660 on: March 01, 2013, 04:31:49 PM »
Mastrov's value is higher than that or he wouldn't be the only one tied to the ownership bid. Don't forget he bid like 425 million on the Warriors. The actual bid on the Kings was like 300 something from the Seattle group, so this is actually cheaper for Mastrov. Burkle is doing the Arena because he has ties to AEG.

edit: I should say that Mastrov has more money than that. He sold off 24 hour fitness for 1.6 billion.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:37:18 PM by etiolate »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8661 on: March 01, 2013, 04:39:23 PM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9003370/andrew-bynum-philadelphia-76ers-suffers-another-setback-practicing

Bynum experienced swelling and discomfort in his right knee after the practice, he told reporters in Philadelphia on Friday. Bynum had believed for months that rest and rehab on bone bruises in both knees would allow him to play this season. Just 10 days ago he declared he'd "definitely be back sometime" this season.

"It's getting late. I don't know [about playing this season]," Bynum said. "I don't want to play in pain. ... I'm 25, it's my life."

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8662 on: March 01, 2013, 05:28:21 PM »
clusterfuck
püp

pilonv1

« Reply #8663 on: March 01, 2013, 06:48:43 PM »

He made a bid for the Warriors too.
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8664 on: March 01, 2013, 07:09:54 PM »
Grizz versus heat
Nuggets versus thunder

Both on espn tonight.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8665 on: March 01, 2013, 07:11:13 PM »
some good ones.  can't wait.
püp

pilonv1

« Reply #8666 on: March 01, 2013, 08:40:15 PM »
Grizz versus heat
Nuggets versus thunder

Both on espn tonight.

also with ESPN commentators :yuck
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8667 on: March 01, 2013, 09:45:15 PM »
The Grizz and the Pacers are two teams the Heat struggle with and the same is happening tonight. Lebron not having a good game isn't helping either.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8668 on: March 01, 2013, 10:09:56 PM »
Lebron is god damn awful tonight on offense. Stop taking jumpers.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8669 on: March 01, 2013, 10:41:59 PM »
Not a pretty win for the heat but a win is a win.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8670 on: March 02, 2013, 01:14:59 AM »
Great Okc nuggets game.

Also this

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8671 on: March 03, 2013, 01:04:51 AM »
©@©™

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #8672 on: March 03, 2013, 11:34:06 AM »
What kind of GM builds a team around Rudy Gay, DeMar DeRozan, and Andrea Bargnani (nearly $40 million in salary right there next season).

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8673 on: March 03, 2013, 12:16:51 PM »
Miami at New York
OKC at the Clippers

Both on ABC starting at 1 est.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8674 on: March 03, 2013, 02:00:22 PM »
Knicks giving Miami trouble again.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #8675 on: March 03, 2013, 03:17:41 PM »
What kind of GM builds a team around Rudy Gay, DeMar DeRozan, and Andrea Bargnani (nearly $40 million in salary right there next season).

GM's whose first big plans at rebuilding don't pan out after 3-4 years have a tendency to compound their earlier mistakes by making win-now moves to save their own jobs, even though that means overpaying for mid-tier veterans on a roster that's nowhere near sniffing contention.

Also these Rube Goldberg salary cap/luxury tax rules create their own sort of logic, though I don't think they justify acquiring Gay.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8676 on: March 03, 2013, 03:22:16 PM »
Great block there by Lebron.

edit: lol, got away with a grab there.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 03:25:39 PM by Stoney Mason »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8677 on: March 03, 2013, 03:35:03 PM »
dunk daggers are best daggers
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8678 on: March 03, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
Nice Miami comeback there. I was about to rage post at halftime but held it back.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8679 on: March 03, 2013, 03:38:01 PM »
I foresee the heat's streak ending on the 10th against Indiana.

17 game win streak is still good.
püp

Beezy

« Reply #8680 on: March 03, 2013, 03:58:02 PM »
Knicks bitch to much about calls. Tyson sat on the floor complaining about not getting a call while everyone ran down the court. Easy bucket for Miami. Stop that shit.

That and their constant switching on defense cost them this game.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8681 on: March 04, 2013, 11:19:45 PM »
lulz

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #8682 on: March 05, 2013, 12:39:55 AM »
Might want to take a seat Awesom-o, this will give you a boner
I've been a professional athletic trainer for about 16 years and have been able to work with a range of athletes from the high school to professional level. Right now I run in a clinic in Cincinnati and have most recently been training with some players on the Bengals.

I activated my reddit account just a moment ago and because I've been seeing the videos of Kobe's most recent dunks and the comments you guys have had to share I decided I might as well chime in what I know about the man. And let me just state by saying that this story doesn't touch on anything we don't know about Kobe but rather that he simply is not human when he is working on his craft.

I was invited to Las Vegas this past Summer to help Team USA with their conditioning before they head off to London, and as we know they would eventually bring home the Gold (USA). I've had the opportunity to work with Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade in the past but this would be my first interaction with Kobe. We first met three days before the first scrimmage, on the day of the first practice, early July. It was a brief conversation where we talked about conditioning, where he would like to be by the end of the Summer, and we talked a little bit about the hustle of the Select Team. Then he got my number and I let him know that if he ever wanted some extra training he could hit me up any time.

The night before the first scrimmage I remember I was just watched "Casablanca" for the first time and it was about 3:30 AM. I lay in bed, slowly fading away when I hear my cell ring. It was Kobe. I nervously picked up.
"Hey, uhh Rob, I hope I'm not disturbing anything right?"
"Uhh no, what's up Kob?"
"Just wondering if you could just help me out with some conditioning work, that's all."
I checked my clock. 4:15 AM.
"Yeah sure, I'll see you in the facility in a bit."
It took me about twenty minutes to get my gear and out of the hotel. When I arrived and opened the room to the main practice floor I saw Kobe. Alone. He was drenched in sweat as if he had just taken a swim. It wasn't even 5AM.
We did some conditioning work for the next hour and fifteen minutes. Then we entered the weight room, where he would do a multitude of strength training exercises for the next 45 minutes. After that we parted ways and he went back to the practice floor to shoot. I went back to the hotel and crashed. Wow.
I was expected to be at the floor again at about 11 AM. I woke up feeling sleepy, drowsy, and almost pretty much every side effect of sleep deprivation. Thanks, Kobe. I had a bagel and headed to the practice facility.

This next part I remember very vividly. All the Team USA players were there, feeling good for the first scrimmage. LeBron was talking to Carmelo if I remember correctly and Coach Krzyzewski was trying to explain something to Kevin Durant. On the right side of the practice facility was Kobe by himself shooting jumpers. And this is how our next conversation went -- I went over to him, patted him on the back and said, "Good work this morning."
"Huh?"
"Like, the conditioning. Good work."
"Oh. Yeah, thanks Rob. I really appreciate it."
"So when did you finish?"
"Finish what?"
"Getting your shots up. What time did you leave the facility?"
"Oh just now. I wanted 800 makes so yeah, just now."
My jaw dropped. Mother of holy God. It was then that I realized that there's no surprise to why he's been as effective as he was last season. Every story about his dedication, every quote that he's said about hard work all came together and hit me like a train. It's no surprise to me now that he's dunking on players ten years younger than him and it wasn't a surprise to me earlier this year when he led the league in scoring.
Thanks for reading and allowing me to share you my Kobe Bryant story. If anyone has any questions I can clarify. Sorry if the story was at all hard to follow as this is my first time on reddit.
Rob.
http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/19o38z/hi_rnba_my_name_is_robert_and_im_an_athletic/

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #8683 on: March 05, 2013, 12:42:47 AM »
800 makes and he still shoots a much lower percentage than the King  :lol

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8684 on: March 05, 2013, 12:52:19 AM »
 :troll
püp

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #8685 on: March 05, 2013, 01:03:17 AM »
Might want to take a seat Awesom-o, this will give you a boner

The night before the first scrimmage I remember I had just watched "Casablanca" for the first time and it was about 3:30 AM. I lay in bed, slowly fading away when I hear my cell ring. It was Kobe. I nervously picked up.
http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/19o38z/hi_rnba_my_name_is_robert_and_im_an_athletic/

Excellent story.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8686 on: March 05, 2013, 01:18:28 AM »
I don't think anybody's ever doubted Kobe's worth ethic. In fact it's the opposite. That him being a basketball machine has maybe hampered more of his normal human elements.

No way to prove such a thing but I also feel Kobe is a lot smarter than your average player or jock in general. Which has always disappointed me because of how he conducts himself in some situations.

But he is marvel at his age. Watching him destroy the Hawks the other day is a testament to how he refuses to let his game slip to a Allen Iverson type level which I kinda thought was his destiny maybe 6 or so seasons back.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 01:20:41 AM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8687 on: March 05, 2013, 07:06:07 PM »
Lakers at OKC tonight on TNT.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #8688 on: March 05, 2013, 08:05:27 PM »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8689 on: March 05, 2013, 08:40:23 PM »
Kobe will be first in line for Simmons' call for PED testing on Grantland I'm sure
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8690 on: March 05, 2013, 11:01:01 PM »
This game so far is exactly why I don't get why Lakers fans want their team in the playoffs. I mean I get it from a strictly ego sense but it gets them nothing and they are gonna get bounced in the first round. They scare no one. If I was a fan I would have rooted for the utter disaster season to maybe get a higher pick because getting to the first round and getting bounced for them is pointless.

benjipwns

« Reply #8691 on: March 05, 2013, 11:06:48 PM »
It's been explained to me by Laker fans that their culture is different. They always demand championships, so you go to the playoffs to win one no matter what.

Deliberately losing to improve the team long term is what other, loser franchises do. Not the Lakers. The Lakers are about winning championships.

Not winning a title makes them just like the other 28 loser franchises each year and that's always unacceptable. Lakers culture is better than that.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8692 on: March 05, 2013, 11:10:11 PM »
plus, a million bucks or so in pure profit from every playoff game played at Staples

would be totally worth the Lakers making it if we got Clips vs Lakers though
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #8693 on: March 05, 2013, 11:12:08 PM »
Good job by OKC pulling away despite some dubious calls during early and mid 2nd quarter

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #8694 on: March 05, 2013, 11:14:31 PM »
Kevin Martin's jumper STILL takes me by surprise
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8695 on: March 05, 2013, 11:14:32 PM »
the lakers are absolute trash
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8696 on: March 05, 2013, 11:18:32 PM »
It's been explained to me by Laker fans that their culture is different. They always demand championships, so you go to the playoffs to win one no matter what.

That's the thing though. When/if they get crushed and swept out in the first round, to me that is more embarrassing than not making it because it truly shows the gulf between them and the really good teams. It's like a rich person...... I can't even think of a proper analogy.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:20:54 PM by Stoney Mason »

etiolate

« Reply #8697 on: March 05, 2013, 11:20:45 PM »
Lakers culture is based on claiming you root for the best team without actually following sports. So when the Lakers don't win the title then it really fucks the whole thing up.

benjipwns

« Reply #8698 on: March 05, 2013, 11:28:57 PM »
That's the thing though. When/if they get crushed and swept out in the first round, to me that is more embarrassing than not making it because it truly shows the gulf between them and the really good teams. It's like a rich person...... I can't even think of a proper analogy.
They tried instead of giving up and admitting they're losers!

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #8699 on: March 05, 2013, 11:31:11 PM »
Duders.

I understand the how the draft warps incentives for lousy teams in American pro sports.

But surely rooting for one's team to win is still the default, expected behavior of a fanbase, that doesn't need to be explained as a particular neurosis or false consciousness?  Especially for a ~.500 team looking to re-sign a veteran star with an expiring contract, ahead of a weak draft?  I mean, they want their team to win.  I want my team to win.  You want your team to win.  We all might be crazy, but not for that.