Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1520677 times)

etiolate

Re: The NBA thread :-(
« Reply #9360 on: April 16, 2013, 04:55:42 PM »
why so mad?

Beezy

« Reply #9361 on: April 16, 2013, 04:57:23 PM »
Q Rich to the Knicks and McGrady to the Spurs? What else will happen today?

« Reply #9362 on: April 16, 2013, 05:01:38 PM »
why so mad?

I don't care for his showboaty shtick.
野球

etiolate

« Reply #9363 on: April 16, 2013, 05:05:10 PM »
KJ has to make the issue big. He cant' trust news sources to give it attention. He can't even trust the owners to be informed. ESPN ignored it and then acted like it was a done deal. It takes all this "showboating" just to make people realize what is even going on and even then most of the populace is clueless.

« Reply #9364 on: April 16, 2013, 05:09:01 PM »
What's the general feeling down there about the whole thing?
野球

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9365 on: April 16, 2013, 05:25:23 PM »
T-Mac back :thefuck
püp

etiolate

« Reply #9366 on: April 16, 2013, 05:29:22 PM »
Anxious I suppose. The city and fans have been dealing with this for years now. Every time they think its resolved, the Maloofs or somebody jacks it all up again.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Re: The NBA thread (Return of the T-Mac)
« Reply #9367 on: April 16, 2013, 07:42:43 PM »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9368 on: April 16, 2013, 09:10:49 PM »
 :kobeyuck
püp

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:36:15 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9370 on: April 17, 2013, 04:31:16 PM »
Quote from: Dan Gilbert
"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels. 

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/gilbert_letter_100708.html

The Heat have won 65 games THIS season. The Cavaliers have won 64 games in THREE seasons since LeBron left.

On a sidenote Lebron isn't playing tonight so he will end the season at a per of 31.68 which is his career best and 4th best single season per ever.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:40:12 PM by Stoney Mason »

Smooth Groove

Re: The NBA thread (Final night of the season)
« Reply #9371 on: April 17, 2013, 09:54:50 PM »
Looks like Lakers will make the playoffs even before their last game starts

They should still try their hardest to win though

A win means 7th vs San Antonio

Lakers have a decent chance against SA but OKC is probably a sweep or 5 games max

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9372 on: April 17, 2013, 10:51:45 PM »
utter garbage games today, as expected.

Less hyped for these playoffs than in a while. Comparatively few series project to be meaningful or fun at this point.
vjj

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #9373 on: April 17, 2013, 11:03:03 PM »
Tim Hardaway Jr. entered the draft lol. Most mock drafts I've seen have him in the second round, I really don't see the point. He's...not particularly good, and the draft already has younger more athletic "tall" guys.

Mitch McGary is a lottery pick apparently if he enters. If I was his agent I'd advise him not to do any work outs; he'll get exposed. Trey Burke basically made him a lottery pick over the last couple months but the guy is too raw and can't create his own offense; he's really benefited from playing with arguably the best player in college basketball.

Basically right now my first round bust list:

-Cody Zeller: he was born to be drafted by Michael Jordan. Nuff said
-Shabazz Muhammad: attitude problems, selfish, ball hog, wasn't nearly as good as advertised.
-Mitch McGary: foot injury history, can't create offense, literally played good for two months of one season
-Alex Len: want a 7 foot bust? Draft this guy.

This draft sucks. Next year should be pretty good with Parker and Wiggins.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9374 on: April 18, 2013, 01:05:25 AM »
Crazy three pointer by parsons.

etiolate

« Reply #9375 on: April 18, 2013, 01:30:25 AM »
Kings lose. Cousins has big game.

Pretty interesting article about Cousins. Not surprised by much of what he says. It's always the vibe I got from him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1604754-brs-all-access-interview-with-sacramento-kings-star-demarcus-cousins

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: The NBA thread (Playoffs start Saturday)
« Reply #9376 on: April 18, 2013, 02:38:31 AM »
obviously volatile dude claims to be a misunderstood softie? shocking that

I have no doubt that there is a situation where he can be amazing but he would be amazing right now, even on the Kings, if he didn't waste so much time and energy being mad at people
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9377 on: April 18, 2013, 04:06:45 AM »
Wow, that Cousins interview is like the rubric for every interview of every "problem" NBA player ever.  It's all perception, the media has an agenda, people don't know the real me, refs have a double standard, it's just that I'm so passionate.

Cousins has had issues in college, in the pros with two different coaches, and with USA basketball.  Blame-shifting and self-justification* generally aren't great signs that someone's about to have a breakthrough, in or out of basketball.  Maybe he'll get it sorted eventually; if Zach Randolph could, why not him?  But this martyr act isn't helping.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
He was raised by a single mother in an Alabama household where emphasis was placed on telling the truth. It’s that same transparency that gets him into trouble today.

“We never did it the political way or that type of thing,” Cousins said. “That’s kind of where, as you can see, I get in trouble. Sometimes, I am brutally honest instead.”

Not enough rolleyes in the world.
[close]

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9378 on: April 18, 2013, 04:20:22 AM »
East            

Heat
vs
Bucks

Knicks
vs
Celtics

Pacers
vs
Hawks

Nets
vs
Bulls
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9379 on: April 18, 2013, 04:21:38 AM »
WEST

Thunder
vs
Rockets

Spurs
vs
Lakers

Nuggets
vs
Warriors

Clippers
vs
Grizzlies
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9380 on: April 18, 2013, 04:23:14 AM »
First round - I have circled

Knicks - Celtics (obviously), Clippers - Grizz, Thunder - Rockets, Nuggets vs Warriors, Spurs vs Lakers in approx that order of interest. Basically every West 1st round match-up should be pretty entertaining
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9381 on: April 18, 2013, 04:33:54 AM »
Western Conference deeper and better for the billionth year in a row.  How does that happen?  Feels like the balance should shift a bit, if only through random chance.

etiolate

« Reply #9382 on: April 18, 2013, 05:14:19 AM »
Cousins talks about how the NBA is full of narratives that don't often reflect the reality, that the league is an entertainment product and that narrative is part of that, about how Lebron is a villian and then Lebron is great and that the only difference is winning, and that he knows winning is what changes things, and pretty much everything you cunts have said before

but its all a bunch of cliched PR?

I think I know who's full of shit here!

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9383 on: April 18, 2013, 05:28:40 AM »
Sure, if you elide the difference between "winning influences the perception of players" (true!) and "Boogie Cousins, the victim of a defamatory media campaign, mainly has the flaws of passion and honesty" (lol).

etiolate

« Reply #9384 on: April 18, 2013, 05:51:32 AM »
Did you watch the video?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9385 on: April 18, 2013, 10:56:44 AM »
Yeah, though there isn't anything in there that isn't quoted directly in the article.  I did like Jason Jones' breakdown of the two main contributors to Cousins' reputation: shit he did in the past, and shit he keeps on doing.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9386 on: April 18, 2013, 12:13:38 PM »
Got the Celtics beating the Knicks.
püp

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #9387 on: April 18, 2013, 12:41:38 PM »
 :'(

At least I can rest easy knowing Kobe might not ever play again

:noah
vin

Beezy

« Reply #9388 on: April 18, 2013, 01:16:39 PM »
Got Brandnew choking on a dick.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #9389 on: April 18, 2013, 01:17:11 PM »
AMC

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9390 on: April 18, 2013, 01:19:59 PM »
 :lol
püp

Steve Contra

« Reply #9391 on: April 18, 2013, 01:20:31 PM »
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #9392 on: April 18, 2013, 01:35:49 PM »
Got Brandnew choking on a dick.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9393 on: April 18, 2013, 03:06:35 PM »
I'm already liking how the playoffs have affected this thread.

etiolate

« Reply #9394 on: April 18, 2013, 03:30:20 PM »
Yeah, though there isn't anything in there that isn't quoted directly in the article.  I did like Jason Jones' breakdown of the two main contributors to Cousins' reputation: shit he did in the past, and shit he keeps on doing.

And many players do shit every game. The point was the double standards of the forced drama of the NBA. This isn't Cousins trying to reinvent himself. This is him pointing out something in the NBA that not a lot of players are pointing out, as well as him saying who he is.

When you have a lot of people speaking for you then you will lose your identity. You can never be yourself. You will always be the product of others' assumptions. (This forum does this all the time.) What you have to do is speak for yourself, point to whats going on, and lay it out there. This was a light piece, but it wasn't fluff. The things Cousins said will bring him more ire in the coming year. The NBA does not want the players talking about what he talked about in the interview. It will come back to bite him. However, he had to finally speak for himself.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9395 on: April 18, 2013, 03:34:19 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9396 on: April 18, 2013, 03:44:02 PM »
etiolate has this fixation on the "NBA" as a menacing monolithic entity when it comes to all this stuff when it just strikes me as weird.

Everyone will agree that the media, the league, hell fans, have certain narratives they like to push at the expense of reality. Life is full of this stuff. I think Michael Jordan image wise was mostly a media creation with only occasional brushes of reality creeping in there usually through the more investigative press.

I'm not sure Cousins is the best example of victimization when it comes to this stuff though. He's done a decent amount of dumb stuff which only increases the narrative in place. It's not like he hasn't had lots of legit trouble there in Sacramento. The knock on Cousins is that he has been a malcontent in Sacramento based on the reports of coaches and some of his actions. It's not exactly come out of nowhere.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 03:49:34 PM by Stoney Mason »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #9397 on: April 18, 2013, 04:27:27 PM »
It really baffles me that Joe Dumars can continually fire coaches after a couple seasons, while his job is never on the line. This team sucks largely due to bad drafts (Drummond is an exception, not a rule) and questionable FA signings. He should have been fired a long time ago.

Frank isn't some great coach, but he didn't have the pieces to create a good team. Plus Drummond got hurt which probably cost the team a few wins.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9398 on: April 18, 2013, 05:46:30 PM »

They forgot this one.

etiolate

« Reply #9399 on: April 18, 2013, 05:56:49 PM »
It really baffles me that Joe Dumars can continually fire coaches after a couple seasons, while his job is never on the line. This team sucks largely due to bad drafts (Drummond is an exception, not a rule) and questionable FA signings. He should have been fired a long time ago.

Frank isn't some great coach, but he didn't have the pieces to create a good team. Plus Drummond got hurt which probably cost the team a few wins.

Same situation with Petrie and the Kings. They keep firing the coaches while Petrie makes bad draft choices and terrible trades. He had a team of me-first ball chuckers from last year, and goes out and signs Aaron Brooks to add to the mix. Later he releases Aaron Brooks because it took him that long to realize he had basically four of the same player. Instead of being fired, Petrie will retire at the end of the year.

So you better hope Dumars retires soon. GMs living off of past success seem to survive a good deal longer than GMs that make a few good youth moves that don't turn immediate results.

Steve Contra

« Reply #9400 on: April 18, 2013, 06:06:07 PM »

So you better hope Dumars retires soon. GMs living off of past success seem to survive a good deal longer than GMs that make a few good youth moves that don't turn immediate results.
                                              You got that right

/
                                                                   /
vin

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9401 on: April 18, 2013, 07:29:18 PM »

'cause players can (somewhat baffingly but nevertheless) respond to the firing of one perfectly good coach (Avery Johnson, say - former COTY IIRC) with an immediate improvement even when the team doesn't even hire a new coach and just promotes an assistant (like P.J. Carlesimo). This happens all the time. Never happens when a GM changes.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9402 on: April 18, 2013, 07:31:12 PM »
Speaking of which, Phil Jackson seems to be angling hard for a return to basketball (which I'm sure is a deeply tactical move meaning a job he wants is opening up).

I'm struggling to think what that would be though, unless he ousts D'Antoni. Knicks GM maybe? He seems open to management as well as coaching.
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #9403 on: April 18, 2013, 07:47:28 PM »

'cause players can (somewhat baffingly but nevertheless) respond to the firing of one perfectly good coach (Avery Johnson, say - former COTY IIRC) with an immediate improvement even when the team doesn't even hire a new coach and just promotes an assistant (like P.J. Carlesimo). This happens all the time. Never happens when a GM changes.

Well yea. Players might tune out one coach and wait for him to get fired, then perform better for the replacement; that's how Lawrence Frank broke into the head coach position with the Nets. Avery Johnson, from what I've heard, gets on the nerves of some players.

But here you have a case of a GM who has been fucking up for what, 5 of the last 8 first round selections he's made? Six if you count Brandon Knight. Has failed to rebuild a team for years and yet keeps firing coaches left and right..

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9404 on: April 18, 2013, 07:56:13 PM »
but that's what GMs do? The majority of draft picks never pan out for the original team, remember. Dumars' record is pretty bad at this point, but there are certainly GMs worse records out there who AREN'T coasting on a ring as a GM. (That's a very short list, remember - Kupchak, Dumars, Ainge, Riley, Buford and one or two others)
vjj

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #9405 on: April 18, 2013, 09:25:09 PM »

They forgot this one.

Harrison Barnes was robbed
itm

Smooth Groove

« Reply #9406 on: April 18, 2013, 09:55:35 PM »
Starbury had a better version of the JR Smith alley-oop

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9407 on: April 18, 2013, 10:24:48 PM »
 :ooh
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9408 on: April 20, 2013, 11:32:49 AM »
Weekend schedule of basketball

SATURDAY

ABC
Boston at New York
Game 1   3:00 PM   

ESPN         
Golden State at Denver
Game 1   5:30 PM   

ESPN   
Chicago at Brooklyn
Game 1   8:00 PM   

ESPN
Memphis at LA Clippers
Game 1   10:30 PM   

SUNDAY

TNT
Atlanta at Indiana
Game 1   1:00 PM

ABC
LA Lakers at San Antonio
Game 1   3:30 PM   

TNT      
Milwaukee at Miami
Game 1   7:00 PM

TNT
Houston at Oklahoma City
Game 1   9:30 PM   

Beezy

« Reply #9409 on: April 20, 2013, 02:00:09 PM »
SO READY

etiolate

« Reply #9410 on: April 20, 2013, 02:44:58 PM »
Golden State & Denver should be cool

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9411 on: April 20, 2013, 03:01:35 PM »
I'm gonna have to hear this shitty Will I Am stuff the entire playoffs on ABC.  :sadbron

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #9412 on: April 20, 2013, 03:03:14 PM »
I'm gonna have to hear this shitty Will I Am stuff the entire playoffs on ABC.  :sadbron

yeah what the fuck was that? someone send a chechen to kill this guy. I'm paying
地平線

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9413 on: April 20, 2013, 03:08:08 PM »
Damn Carmelo.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9414 on: April 20, 2013, 03:08:51 PM »
Melo  :ooh
püp

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #9415 on: April 20, 2013, 03:10:18 PM »
hehe, nice. would be nice if he went total loco like he did in the olympics
地平線

Beezy

« Reply #9416 on: April 20, 2013, 03:10:24 PM »

:noah :noah :noah :noah

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #9417 on: April 20, 2013, 03:10:57 PM »
地平線

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9418 on: April 20, 2013, 03:22:28 PM »
fffuuuuuuu jr smith's redonk dunk
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9419 on: April 20, 2013, 03:30:04 PM »
Good tight first quarter.