Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519491 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread (Playoffs)
« Reply #9900 on: May 13, 2013, 07:51:01 PM »
And Lebron is getting too fucking cute for his own good with his passing.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9901 on: May 13, 2013, 08:41:42 PM »
nate robinson is 0/12

:heh
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9902 on: May 13, 2013, 08:50:01 PM »
this is the worst game I've watched all season
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9903 on: May 13, 2013, 09:59:57 PM »
Perkins just attempted the worst flop ever.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9904 on: May 13, 2013, 10:11:05 PM »
INDIANAPOLIS -- Carmelo Anthony said Monday he will talk to Tyson Chandler privately about comments the New York Knicks center made a day earlier, insinuating that the team was playing selfishly on offense.

"I really don't want to go back and forth about that because I really don't know exactly what he was talking about. But if he feels that way, we're about to get together right now. We'll discuss that amongst ourselves and figure that out," Anthony said after practice.

Anthony said he hopes to "get (Chandler's) take, get his perspective on that comment and we'll handle that internally and figure it out amongst ourselves."

Chandler was critical of the Knicks' offense after they scored 71 points in a Game 3 loss to the Indiana Pacers on Saturday.

"I watched the tape myself and there's open looks," Chandler said Sunday. "We have to be willing passers. You have to sacrifice yourself sometimes for the betterment of the team, for the betterment of your teammates. So when you drive in the paint, you draw, you kick it. We need to do a better job of allowing the game to dictate who takes the shots and not the individuals.

"I'm not saying that anybody is doing it maliciously. I think it's moreso a situation, you want to take over the game or you want to make a big shot, where you have to just stick to the game plan. Good teams win basketball games. Unless you're a great, great, great individual, and we've only had a few of those come through."

Chandler did not call out any of his teammates by name. But Anthony and J.R. Smith are the players who most frequently operate in isolation to create their own shot.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/9270342/2013-nba-playoffs-anthony-chandler-discuss-center-take

« Reply #9905 on: May 13, 2013, 10:54:25 PM »
Go Grizz!
野球

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9906 on: May 13, 2013, 11:34:33 PM »
Man, OKC was kicking their ass so bad in the first half I turned off the game and just started fucking around on the computer. Now its tied at 72.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9907 on: May 13, 2013, 11:55:30 PM »
another GREAT game in this series.  Go Griz!
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9908 on: May 14, 2013, 12:06:59 AM »
 :ohhh this series
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9909 on: May 14, 2013, 12:14:44 AM »
THIS GAME
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9910 on: May 14, 2013, 12:17:53 AM »
That Grizz defense. Although those two missed free throws from Gasol and Randolph hurt.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9911 on: May 14, 2013, 12:19:15 AM »
THIS FUCKING GAME
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9912 on: May 14, 2013, 12:23:01 AM »
Perkins actually does something useful.

:mindblown

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9913 on: May 14, 2013, 12:35:44 AM »
OKC's offense is pretty shit in this overtime. It's just Durant iso everytime. No misdirection or movement or anything.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9914 on: May 14, 2013, 12:41:08 AM »
Crushing loss for the Thunder there. It's going to start increasing some of the doubts about Scott Brooks based on how this offense isn't very diversified.

etiolate

« Reply #9915 on: May 14, 2013, 12:41:30 AM »
That's Scott Brooks playcalling.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9916 on: May 14, 2013, 12:48:20 AM »
Brooks isn't a good coach.  Hollins is a much better coach especialliy with the players he has.

So..Heat Griz yeah?
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9917 on: May 14, 2013, 12:49:52 AM »
The Grizz are starting to scare me. They would give Miami a lot of problems. I just didn't think they would make it earlier because of a bad matchup with the Thunder. With Westbrook gone now it seems like the path to the finals for them is relatively open and easy now.

etiolate

« Reply #9918 on: May 14, 2013, 12:52:21 AM »
The Grizz have good perimeter defenders and bigs who can score, so, yeah, not the best matchup for Miami. They're a tough matchup for any of the teams remaining.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #9919 on: May 14, 2013, 01:03:44 AM »
Derek Fisher should start. The team needs a vet out there

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9920 on: May 14, 2013, 01:07:38 AM »

:what

No., No no no no no.  Fisher is good for off the bench 3s.  thats about it.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9921 on: May 14, 2013, 01:01:15 PM »
Perkins just attempted the worst flop ever.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/05/kendrick-perkins-commits-slowest-flop-of-all-time/

Actually isn't a flop. You can see Perkins lands on Gasol's foot and just lands awkwardly.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9922 on: May 14, 2013, 01:10:07 PM »
eh...still looks badly acted to me
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #9923 on: May 14, 2013, 01:25:16 PM »

This team needs heart though, and Fisher can provide it in the starting 5. I gotta say Durant looks scared out there, he looks like he's not even trying. Remember all that time he spent training with LeBron last off season? I knew that was a bad idea; maybe LeBron's casual half-try attitude rubbed off on Durant.

:skip
edit: fuck you mods, add Skip again

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9924 on: May 14, 2013, 02:37:34 PM »
eh...still looks badly acted to me

He's a big bulky relatively uncoordinated dude. It happens all the time. People are just hyper sensitive to flops myself included that we sometimes at first glance label things incorrectly.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9925 on: May 14, 2013, 02:38:46 PM »
true.  but its Perkins so I'll stick to it!

Dude has a negative PER for the playoffs.  :holeup
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9926 on: May 14, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9927 on: May 14, 2013, 09:16:26 PM »
JR Smith 5-18. 1 of 7 from 3pt range.

:snoop

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #9928 on: May 14, 2013, 10:23:10 PM »

This team needs heart though, and Fisher can provide it in the starting 5. I gotta say Durant looks scared out there, he looks like he's not even trying. Remember all that time he spent training with LeBron last off season? I knew that was a bad idea; maybe LeBron's casual half-try attitude rubbed off on Durant.

:skip
edit: fuck you mods, add Skip again

:sabu

Before Fisher hit his only shot of the game, I predicted to my friends that the announcers would gush over how clutch Fisher is if he hit a 3.

Lo and behold, not only did they immediately showered Fisher with praise, there was also a short clip to remind us of Fish' clutch ability.

Too bad for OKC that their coach is also a "watch the game" guy and seems to be a complete ignoramus with stats.

Beezy

« Reply #9929 on: May 14, 2013, 10:41:47 PM »
JR Smith 5-18. 1 of 7 from 3pt range.

:snoop
We don't get to the ECF, that blame goes on him and Woodson. I don't wanna hear any Melo bashing.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #9930 on: May 14, 2013, 10:51:02 PM »
Melo took 23 shots for 24 pts and had 1 assist

.408 FG% on 23 shots/game so far in the series and 6 assists total

How's he not to blame for the Knicks' predicament?

Beezy

« Reply #9931 on: May 14, 2013, 11:01:19 PM »
Have you been watching this series?

Smooth Groove

« Reply #9932 on: May 14, 2013, 11:07:06 PM »
Yes but why does that matter?

41% on 23 shots/game means he should pass the damn ball a lot more

6 total assists means that he hasn't

You don't need to watch the game to know that's a player who's playing like shit

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9933 on: May 14, 2013, 11:14:53 PM »
Carmelo is scoring alot but shooting pretty crappy fg% in the playoffs. If I was to blame Carmelo for anything it would be his desire to keep up the status quo of the offense along with Woodson. With Jr Smith and Carmelo Anthony shooting so many long jumpers as the meat of your offense you are bound to hit extremely cold stretches. This has been obvious since day one but the Knicks keep rolling out the same offense. 

Beezy

« Reply #9934 on: May 14, 2013, 11:16:42 PM »
Pass to who? Kidd's corpse? The artist formerly known as JR? Chandler? Martin? Cause that was an actual lineup Woodson used tonight. Best person there to pass it to would be Martin, which isn't saying much.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9935 on: May 14, 2013, 11:21:42 PM »
Pass to who? Kidd's corpse? The artist formerly known as JR? Chandler? Martin? Cause that was an actual lineup Woodson used tonight. Best person there to pass it to would be Martin.

The problem is they are hamstrung by that Amare contract and the seeds were already sewn in the off-season when the dump Lin decision was made. Not because because Lin was the answer for the Knicks because he wouldn't have been, but because at that moment the decision was made to simply revert the offense to Carmelo. I think this season is about as far as you can go with just that philosophy. The Knicks as currently constructed have a lot of flaws. I don't even necessarily blame JR in the sense that he is who we thought he was. A streaky player who can get hot but who can also shoot you out of a game or series. JR shouldn't be the second option on offense for the Knicks.

Beezy

« Reply #9936 on: May 14, 2013, 11:25:33 PM »
Pass to who? Kidd's corpse? The artist formerly known as JR? Chandler? Martin? Cause that was an actual lineup Woodson used tonight. Best person there to pass it to would be Martin.

The problem is they are hamstrung by that Amare contract and the seeds were already sewn in the off-season when the dump Lin decision was made. Not because because Lin was the answer for the Knicks because he wouldn't have been, but because at that moment the decision was made to simply revert the offense to Carmelo. I think this season is about as far as you can go with just that philosophy. The Knicks as currently constructed have a lot of flaws. I don't even necessarily blame JR in the sense that he is who we thought he was. A streaky player who can get hot but who can also shoot you out of a game or series. JR shouldn't be the second option on offense for the Knicks.
Can't argue with that.

Still, Woodson is the main problem in this series. Despite whatever problems we have, we should never be down 3-1 to the Pacers of all teams.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 11:27:56 PM by Beezy »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9937 on: May 14, 2013, 11:32:38 PM »
I think the Pacers are kind of made for Playoff ball. They are ugly as hell. But the game slows down anyway in the playoffs and they play great defense. They are like a poor poor man's grizzlies. And I think the Knicks require everybody to be kind of clicking to really work as a playoff team. They don't have a wide margin to just absorb off shooting nights because they don't get a lot of inside points or high percentage shots. But yeah Woodson hasn't had a stellar playoffs himself.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9938 on: May 14, 2013, 11:35:49 PM »
Looks like the Warriors are finally running out of gas. Still a heck of a year for them and much better than nearly anybody expected.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #9939 on: May 15, 2013, 12:54:14 AM »
I think the Pacers are kind of made for Playoff ball. They are ugly as hell. But the game slows down anyway in the playoffs and they play great defense. They are like a poor poor man's grizzlies. And I think the Knicks require everybody to be kind of clicking to really work as a playoff team. They don't have a wide margin to just absorb off shooting nights because they don't get a lot of inside points or high percentage shots. But yeah Woodson hasn't had a stellar playoffs himself.

"purists" love harping about gritty teams like the Grizz, Bulls and Pacers but seriously how the hell are those teams good for basketball?

Grizz vs Bulls/Pacers would have disastrous ratings for the NBA 

etiolate

« Reply #9940 on: May 15, 2013, 04:14:36 AM »
Montemayor saying some interesting things in regards to Kings/Sonics:

http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/pages/softy_page.html?article=11287969

If true then Seattle got maloofed

Tim Montemayor ‏@TheMontyShow 1h

H&B news: This conversation started yesterday and continued in to this evening after a contact asked me about expansion in #Seattle ... As I have prev. reported, I was again told H&B have been aware of 2014-15 season but have not been willing to engage in that condo while. The #NBAKings were still "in play" …they have been aware of expansion for two months, in that time they have fought hard "to keep Sac alive" However the tone and subject of NBA conversations changed this week after H&B where plainly told their relationship with the #Maloofs had damaged any good will they had built up with other owners in the league who have made it clear to H&B that the #Maloofs are not good partners for them and the "side deal" hurt them.

H&B were told Monday that their chances of any #NBA ownership was fading fast because they continue to be aggressive and take steps that go directly against #NBA protocol in this situation late Monday H&B began a conversation that was "concessionary" in nature and have "seemingly woken up to the reality of the situation" that the #Maloofs have made them look "Foolish" and it appears the #Maloofs "are directing the H&B groups direction they were told in no uncertain terms that it was now or nvr It was conveyed to me that H&B have told the #Maloofs that they needed to take a few days to reconsider their position ahead of Wednesday and that discussions surrounding expansion have now become a two way communication with H&B shifting their tone to returning the #NBA to #Seattle by any available means.

The #Maloofs responded by reaching out to media member who they had previously ignored losing the chance to own an #NBA team,

they were told expansion is a real option, they were told the #Maloofs appear to be manipulating them H&B were told that the #NBA was "shocked" at how the situation played out and disappointed that it appear H&B were "tone deaf to the reality of the situation" "how could they not know money was not the leading factor or consideration in any committee vote?"

The #Maloofs made such a poor showing at the NY presentation that the #Seattle H&B group were warned in committee and in private that continuing relationship with "that family" would substantially damage their efforts. They did not heed that warning until this week. my sources tell me the #NBA has been talking about how to "shake Chris Hanson out of this trance" for a month and that the Monday conference call focused heavily on how to salvage H&B as an ownership group. While I do not know who did what specifically it was made clear to me several #NBA owners and executives put a lot of effort in to opening a new dialogue with Hansen and it worked. A couple of other notes: Any one saying Hansen would own the #NBAKings in Sac and build an arena there is "in outer space" H&B is solely focused on returning the #NBA to #Seattle. Also the #Maloofs were so bad around the NY presentations that it not only made the vote a formality but served 2 enhance what KJ presented I was told then and now that #Seattle was almost dead on arrival in NYC b/c of the #Maloofs

I do not know what the next vote will bring as my sources say there is a lot of conversations to be had before any vote or decision but it is likely the next vote will bring some clarity and a path forward. That's all I have on the situation the #NBA is working hard to cap source leaks and my sources have said they need to be very careful the #NBA has said any leak of information will be met harshly. For everyone saying I am a #NBAKings fan or apologist: everyone I know in Sac knows I am not a fan, I covered the team for a few yrs I only report what I am told, I am not paid to source or break news. My sources have been rock solid and accurate and I stand by my reporting 100%
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:25:55 AM by etiolate »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9941 on: May 15, 2013, 10:14:49 AM »

All Phil Jackson's rings.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9942 on: May 15, 2013, 06:23:02 PM »
NBA owners have spoken: They, too, want the Kings playing in Sacramento.

A full meeting of the league's 30 teams met here Wednesday for nearly four hours and, according to sources with knowledge of the vote, ultimately backed last month's recommendation from a relocation committee that advocated to reject the Kings' proposed sale to a Seattle group headlined by lead investor Chris Hansen and keep the team in Sacramento.

Hansen's group raised the overall valuation of its offer to buy the Kings to a league-record $625 million last week, but sources told ESPN.com that the owners gathered at this specially convened board of governors meeting at the Hilton Anatole have voted to reject the sale and proposed relocation of the Kings to Seattle.

The nearly 30-month saga surrounding the Kings' future, however, is not finished, because the league cannot force the Maloof family, which owns the Kings, to sell the team to the consortium assembled by Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson to make sure the franchise stays in the California capitol. The Maloofs, by all accounts, do not want to sell the team to the group led by Silicon Valley billionaire Vivek Ranadive, who has worked closely with NBA commissioner David Stern during the past few months in Sacramento's scramble to try to prevent the Kings from leaving town.

In a last-ditch bid to try to trump the relocation committee's unanimous recommendation to block the Seattle sale, Hansen last week increased the value of his offer for 65 percent of the Kings from $358 million to a record $409 million, pushing the overall valuation of the proposed transaction to $625 million. Hansen also offered a relocation fee payout of $4 million per team -- for a total of about $116 million -- to try to sway owners to bypass the relocation committee's recommendation.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9279593/sources-nba-owners-back-recommendation-keep-kings-sacramento

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #9943 on: May 15, 2013, 06:54:42 PM »
It should get interesting now.  I'm not sure Sacramento wants a Maloof owned team any longer, but it looks likes that's what they're going to get for a few more years until relocation talk comes up again.
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #9944 on: May 15, 2013, 06:55:14 PM »
Does anyone want a Maloof owned team?

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #9945 on: May 15, 2013, 07:01:41 PM »
Good point.  I think the Maloof's plan is to make the team so toxic in Sacramanto that they'll be forced to relocate.
vin

etiolate

« Reply #9946 on: May 15, 2013, 08:06:57 PM »
The Maloofs may not be able to afford to keep the team.

Stern said today that he'd be talking to the Maloofs to try and quickly work out a finalized deal between them and Renadive in the next 24-48 hours. I guess the Maloofs could just keep refusing to sell to any Sacramento owner, but they aren't exactly secure financially and rumor is they want into the NHL. I don't know how they think any other league would want them at this point, but they are the Maloofs so stupid crazy ideas are their family crest.

They also finally started talking to the Sacramento press a night ago once they realized this relocation was getting officially rejected. Renadive and KJ said that despite reports they've ben tlaking to the Maloofs so *shrug*.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9947 on: May 15, 2013, 08:56:19 PM »
Miami as usual half assing it tonight in the playoffs.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9948 on: May 15, 2013, 09:00:25 PM »
I knew Ray Allen wasn't a good defender for the Celtics but I didn't realize how truly wretched he was at this stage in his career until I got to watch him on a regular basis with the Heat.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #9949 on: May 15, 2013, 09:09:18 PM »
But Ray Allen is a clutch shooter!

:skipbayless

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9950 on: May 15, 2013, 09:30:36 PM »
Miami turning it up a gear and hopefully gonna close this thing out.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9951 on: May 15, 2013, 09:32:42 PM »
aw yiss miami
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9952 on: May 15, 2013, 09:43:43 PM »
Not a pretty series win but its a win. On to the Pacers which should be a pretty decent challenge.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9953 on: May 15, 2013, 11:12:56 PM »
While Westbrook is probably highly upset about how this season turned out a small part of me would be happy that he has essentially become critic proof on his offensive output now with the Thunder. That argument is now forever dead.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9954 on: May 15, 2013, 11:32:59 PM »
Kendrick Perkins has more fouls (38) in the playoffs than points, assists, and blocks combined (36).

:noah
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #9955 on: May 16, 2013, 12:15:28 AM »
thus ends the tale of Kevin Durant

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9956 on: May 16, 2013, 12:31:58 AM »
game's not over :o
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9957 on: May 16, 2013, 12:32:55 AM »
nevermind game is over
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9958 on: May 16, 2013, 12:34:05 AM »
Unfortunate Durant had his worst game in a long time.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9959 on: May 16, 2013, 12:34:34 AM »
not like this KD  :'(
püp