Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519553 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #11280 on: December 04, 2013, 03:47:08 PM »
Knicks versus Nets tonight on TNT.

:jawalrus

Beezy

« Reply #11281 on: December 04, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »

etiolate

« Reply #11282 on: December 04, 2013, 07:19:46 PM »
The Mecca of Basketball

Beezy

« Reply #11283 on: December 04, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »
Oh wait. The game is tomorrow.

etiolate

« Reply #11284 on: December 04, 2013, 07:55:59 PM »
Basketball still has one more day to live!

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11285 on: December 04, 2013, 07:58:55 PM »
Oh wait. The game is tomorrow.

My bad. I lost track of my days. I thought today was Thursday apparently for most of the day.

etiolate

« Reply #11286 on: December 04, 2013, 08:19:14 PM »

These shotcharts belong to Demarcus Cousins, Tim Duncan, Pau Gasol and Marc Gasol.

CAN YOU GUESS WHICH IS WHICH

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #11287 on: December 04, 2013, 09:32:01 PM »
Marc
Demarcus
Pau
Duncan

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 12:35:44 AM by benjipwns »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11289 on: December 05, 2013, 12:52:01 AM »
Marc
Demarcus
Pau
Duncan

switch the middle two and you're right
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11290 on: December 05, 2013, 09:26:49 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11291 on: December 05, 2013, 01:44:05 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11292 on: December 05, 2013, 03:10:55 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11293 on: December 05, 2013, 04:07:05 PM »
In a Larry Bird mood for some reason. He was my favorite player as a kid. Probably the only black kid in America who could say that.

etiolate

« Reply #11294 on: December 05, 2013, 05:03:49 PM »
I agree with Jalen on Hack a Shaq issue. You want to stop being fouled then make free throws.

Also, I am not for the abolish conferences thing. I think it would lead to much bigger problems. The NBA already has too much establishment issues, but if it was always the top 16 teams in the playoffs, you'd have even more stagnation. The bottom rung would just become farm teams for the established franchises. At least with the conference setup, you can have talent switch conferences to have a better chance at the playoffs. And though it has been typically Western dominated, there have been a few years lately where the East had more quality teams.  Plus, the league needs to work back towards team identity and fan-to-team identity. Most of the league's issues come from Star and market power, which both can be addressed despite the protests of the servile. I'm always wary of anything that leads a league towards what the MLB has become.

edit: Oh my. It seems Barkley is doing commentary for the Knicks/Nets game.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:47:59 PM by etiolate »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11295 on: December 05, 2013, 06:53:05 PM »
One of the things I must admit I like about the knicks collapsing is all the morons who were criticizing Tyson Chandler during the playoffs as if he was the problem. He's the only fricking piece of that team that works.

Beezy

« Reply #11296 on: December 05, 2013, 07:47:06 PM »
One of the things I must admit I like about the knicks collapsing is all the morons who were criticizing Tyson Chandler during the playoffs as if he was the problem. He's the only fricking piece of that team that works.
Nah, he was really shit in the Pacers series. He was playing hurt, but kept saying he was 100%. We didn't know that until we were eliminated. Never thought he was THE problem, but he was definitely a part of it.

etiolate

« Reply #11297 on: December 05, 2013, 07:47:57 PM »
The only thing worse than being a Knick is playing for New York.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11298 on: December 05, 2013, 08:18:46 PM »
Knicks up by 7 at the half.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11299 on: December 05, 2013, 09:04:08 PM »
Nets with their infamous third quarter collapse.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #11300 on: December 06, 2013, 04:52:25 AM »
lol @ Nets

How long will Kidd survive?
地平線

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11301 on: December 06, 2013, 10:28:05 AM »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11302 on: December 06, 2013, 04:39:05 PM »
Kobe's return is this Sunday :hyper :hyper :hyper

against the raptors, no less!
püp

benjipwns

« Reply #11303 on: December 07, 2013, 12:29:49 AM »

Also in three point news:
kpelton Kevin Pelton
Per @bball_ref, the Blazers' 73.9% 3-point shooting tonight is best ever for a team w/at least 20 3PA (was 71.4%):

In a Larry Bird mood for some reason. He was my favorite player as a kid. Probably the only black kid in America who could say that.
My favorite Bird videos are this series:

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11304 on: December 07, 2013, 12:49:40 AM »
Also, I am not for the abolish conferences thing. I think it would lead to much bigger problems. The NBA already has too much establishment issues, but if it was always the top 16 teams in the playoffs, you'd have even more stagnation. The bottom rung would just become farm teams for the established franchises. At least with the conference setup, you can have talent switch conferences to have a better chance at the playoffs.

I don't understand how this would work.  The draft, salary cap, and luxury tax would still be in place, and surely those are much bigger factors in preventing talented players from clustering on the same teams than the conference setup.

How many significant players have changed teams and cited going to a weaker conference as a reason for their choice?  Off the top of my head I can't think of a single one.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11305 on: December 07, 2013, 01:25:31 AM »
My favorite Bird videos are this series:

A pet peeve of mine is when people compare Dirk to Larry Bird. No disrespect to Dirk who is a great hall of fame player himself but I think these people must not have actually watched Larry Bird play in his prime. The skill set was very different outside of great shooting.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 01:32:52 AM by Stoney Mason »

benjipwns

Re: The NBA thread (Kobe Bryant to return Sunday)
« Reply #11306 on: December 07, 2013, 01:51:28 AM »
One thing you hear a lot about Bird from people who probably haven't watched much of him is that he wasn't a good defender. And yeah he was pretty average one-on-one, but he was a fantastic help defender. That awareness and smarts made him great at seeing the offenses plan and just coming in out of nowhere to help get a stop. Those passing videos alone have a bunch of him doing that and starting breaks. And the Celtics were often deliberately tailoring their matchups so Bird could do that on purpose and not hiding him because he couldn't guard people.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11307 on: December 07, 2013, 02:01:44 AM »
Larry in his prime not only was a great passer but he had great body control. It's fashionable to say the typical thing of oh Larry wasn't athletic but he could really drive and finish in a really great way which is not generally something you say about unathletic people. Part of that of course was his outside shot was so good that it helped create driving situations because they would body up on him and then he could get by them and finish.

Once the back and foot injuries started to take their toll he couldn't do it anymore and was kind of reduced to being an outside shooter who used a lot of guile to get his buckets which was a little sad to see. But when he was younger he was amazingly fun to watch not only shooting but driving and creating. The not athletic thing is such a misleading thing to say about Larry Bird because it creates the wrong image of how he played and what was enjoyable about watching him.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 02:04:43 AM by Stoney Mason »

benjipwns

« Reply #11308 on: December 08, 2013, 02:44:41 AM »
Aldridge, who or what are you guarding here?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11309 on: December 08, 2013, 02:55:47 AM »
Nice shot there by Monta. Cuban finally caught a break since the whole let's not resign Tyson Chandler episode.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11310 on: December 08, 2013, 03:00:14 AM »
Bad defense by Aldridge there (and defense is what everyone's expecting to be Portland's undoing), but that clip just can't have the same impact after seeing those James Harden compilations.

...or, as a Wizards fan, after seeing a few thousand minutes of Kwame, Andray, and Javale.

« Reply #11311 on: December 08, 2013, 02:31:22 PM »
the knicks really lost by 41 to the celtics  :holeup
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:24:24 PM by Your Stalker »
😈

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11312 on: December 08, 2013, 05:29:49 PM »
I never use terms like "the players have quit" because I think that turns basketball flaws into psychological analysis that sports fans/pundits aren't prepared to make unless they are on the team.
But my god these knicks.

I know Chandler is the key cog to that team but how you lose to the Celtics by that much even without him is baffling.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11313 on: December 08, 2013, 05:47:30 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Beezy

« Reply #11315 on: December 08, 2013, 07:10:51 PM »
Kings are close to making a trade for Rudy Gay. :holeup

Edit: Actually, the deal is already done. Gay has been pulled from the Raptors lineup tonight. We're just waiting to hear the details. :lol
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 07:16:44 PM by Beezy »

etiolate

« Reply #11316 on: December 08, 2013, 07:38:33 PM »
WHY WHAT FUCK YOU DALLESANDRO

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #11317 on: December 08, 2013, 07:50:18 PM »
Refs must have made that trade for the Kings.

etiolate

« Reply #11318 on: December 08, 2013, 07:52:19 PM »
Well the refs love to bait and fuck with Boogie, and Rudy Gay will cause more meltdowns than Joe Crawford could ever hope for.

Can't wait for the game where Rudy has jacked up his 20th brick while Cousins waves his hands in the post to no avail.

Beezy

« Reply #11319 on: December 08, 2013, 07:52:32 PM »
WHY WHAT FUCK YOU DALLESANDRO
Gay Cousins :neogaf

etiolate

« Reply #11320 on: December 08, 2013, 07:57:53 PM »
Bright side view: The Kings gave up scrap for Gay. Vasquez is the best player in that bunch and he's been struggling this season. So they didn't give up much but capspace for next year and it's not like they can lure Free Agents with that capspace.

Apparently they will start Williams and Gay, with Gay as the stretch 4? Or maybe double stretch 4s since the defense will just put their PF on DWill. Interesting lineup thats athletic and fast.

Negative view: Except Cousins isn't built for a fast break team and needs half-court system. For some reason, front offices want to surround him with speed and athleticism, but he does not transition well. He's a bruiser that maybe two players in the entire league can defend.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #11321 on: December 08, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »
Well the refs love to bait and fuck with Boogie, and Rudy Gay will cause more meltdowns than Joe Crawford could ever hope for.

Can't wait for the game where Rudy has jacked up his 20th brick while Cousins waves his hands in the post to no avail.

Luckily Cousins won't know Gay bricked 20 shots because players won't be allowed to see the box scores.

etiolate

« Reply #11322 on: December 08, 2013, 08:02:33 PM »
 :dead  :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #11323 on: December 08, 2013, 08:14:49 PM »
Luckily Cousins won't know Gay bricked 20 shots because players won't be allowed to see the box scores.
jacknicholsonyes.gif

etiolate

« Reply #11324 on: December 08, 2013, 08:17:34 PM »
We are now the official Game of Thrones team. We got Kings and Gay Cousins.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11325 on: December 08, 2013, 08:25:07 PM »
How's Gay play around the rim?
©@©™

etiolate

« Reply #11326 on: December 08, 2013, 11:29:20 PM »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11327 on: December 08, 2013, 11:31:25 PM »
kobe not shooting much/well, but has 8 boards which is pretty surprising and good to see
püp

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #11328 on: December 09, 2013, 12:46:52 AM »

Kobe was a hero?   :larry

Btw, not a bad return by Kobe.  He forced too many passes and chemistry was lacking between him and his teammates.  However, physically he looked pretty good.  That first step still looks quick enough to get by most defenders and he was athletic enough to get 8 rebounds. 

Still, it was nowhere near Magic's amazing comeback,

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11329 on: December 09, 2013, 12:28:32 PM »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #11330 on: December 09, 2013, 12:31:52 PM »
Blazers are actually doing well, so I guess it's time for me to hop back on the fair weather fan bandwagon! RIP CITY!

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11331 on: December 09, 2013, 12:40:06 PM »
Was watching random youtube videos and came across this one. I don't really care about the content of the clip. It's skip being stupid as usual. But my god the Stephen A. Smith face at the beginning while skip is talking. Somebody please emoticon that shit. I couldn't stop laughing at it.

etiolate

« Reply #11332 on: December 09, 2013, 02:52:12 PM »
I don't like Rudy Gay's game and obviously dislike trading for him, but I'm surprised that the media overlooks the fact that the Kings gave up very little for him and that acquiring him is low risk because of his giant expiring capspace next year. It's not like the pieces they traded would ever get back a talent or value higher than Rudy Gay. It's also easier to move a giant expiring than smaller "movable pieces" and contracts. Middling and declining players on mid-range contracts rarely get you much in exchange because any player of worth on a similar contract is too valuable to the team that possesses the player. Overpaid roleplayers have very little trade value. Toronto is taking them because two are expiring and they're desperate to ditch Rudy Gay.

The Kings are offering up their scraps for talents that other teams have failed to get high value for and everything they're getting in return comes off the books after next season. They'll probably trade Thompson or Thornton for an expiring this year so they can make an offer to Isaiah Thomas.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11333 on: December 09, 2013, 03:07:14 PM »
The main cost of the Rudy Gay trade isn't the players they gave up, it's the money they'll have to spend on him next season.  They took on what, 13-14 million for next year and basically killed any flexibility, and didn't get even a second-rounder for their troubles.

It's all different if Gay opts out of his contract, but any agent advising him to do that should probably get his license revoked.

etiolate

« Reply #11334 on: December 09, 2013, 03:20:47 PM »
The Kings weren't going to do much with the capspace of Salmons, Patterson and Vasquez. This free agent class is too high society for Sactown.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11335 on: December 09, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »
I wouldn't expect the Kings to go after a marquee free agent this offseason.  But if they had cap space, they could have picked up some more assets by being the facilitator in three-team trades, or by taking on expiring contracts at the trade deadline from teams that were looking to duck the luxury tax.  Portland and Houston did this for years.  Plus there's always the chance that a couple mid-tier free agents will still be out there after most teams have capped out in the offseason and wind up signing for pretty cheap deals, like Paul Millsap and Jeff Teague did this year.

It's not a killer, cause it's only for a year, but it looks like they threw away one season's cap room without getting any assets for the future.  Considering Toronto would have waived Gay if they could have, the Kings should have at least gotten a draft pick for their troubles.

etiolate

« Reply #11336 on: December 09, 2013, 04:53:53 PM »
They weren't going to get a pick out of this. Nobody is trading away a draft pick in this year's draft. All the teams dumb enough to do that already have. Every tidbit I hear is that every GM wants a draft pick in return. When everyone wants the same thing, nobody gets said thing.

Sacramento is cleaning house just like Toronto. They've also shown they will quickly move a guy again that they recently acquired. Both Gay and Williams were acquired via pieces that were traded for in the off-season. The only thing I know about the new ownership is exactly that. They make every move with an escape clause ready if it doesn't succeed.

So they threw away some cap room which I imagine they'll likely reacquire via trading Thompson or Thornton. They'll have the cap room for the only FA they could hope to resign in Isaiah Thomas. Meanwhile, the FA class with the second tier guys who will be looking for a home? The same FA class as Williams and Gay. To me, the plan is to see how the new assets work out. If they don't work out, then they'll be ending next year and will still have value. If Gay is just as bad as he is now next year, his trade value will still be higher next year due to his contract expiring. If Gay has a resurgence, then his trade value increases even more. Either way, Gay will be a better asset a year from now. The only moves available to them were the draft and retaining IT. Those are still moves they have.

As for being a facilitator, I don't know if they really had the flexibility and pieces for that. I also think they want to turn things around by the time the new arena is built.

edit: Also, Rudy Gay's usage rate will go down around Cousins and IT. He will also be in a contract year next year. Both of these things predict an increase in the quality of his play. The main question is whether that shoulder injury permanently harmed his ability.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:59:19 PM by etiolate »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11337 on: December 09, 2013, 08:28:47 PM »
Jeff ZillgittVerified account
‏@JeffZillgitt
On @SiriusXMNBA, NBA deputy commissioner Adam Silver said competition committee will look at whether divisions have outlived usefulness.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #11338 on: December 09, 2013, 10:00:51 PM »
I welcome the next generation of stat-nerd commissioners

etiolate

« Reply #11339 on: December 09, 2013, 11:27:26 PM »