Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519562 times)

Himu

Re: The NBA thread (Sterling banned. Knicks fans still have Dolan though)
« Reply #12300 on: April 29, 2014, 02:55:46 PM »
I find lifelong suspension, 2+ million fine, as well as urging to sell the Clippers to be...excessive. Then again, I seem to be the only black person in America who does not give a flying fuck what the dude said.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #12301 on: April 29, 2014, 02:57:46 PM »
Can't wait for the moral outrage culture to backfire and we see a major regression in the 2020's. :rejoice
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #12302 on: April 29, 2014, 02:57:46 PM »
I find lifelong suspension, 2+ million fine, as well as urging to sell the Clippers to be...excessive. Then again, I seem to be the only black person in America who does not give a flying fuck what the dude said.

Maybe you should just stay out in the plantation fields then
yar

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #12303 on: April 29, 2014, 02:58:03 PM »
I think it's all overblown. But he's an epic piece of shit, so it's hard to have any sympathy for him.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #12304 on: April 29, 2014, 02:58:46 PM »
Then again, I seem to be the only black person in America who does not give a flying fuck what the dude said.

That's because he didn't diss Shenmue or Dynasty Warriors.

Himu

« Reply #12305 on: April 29, 2014, 03:00:13 PM »
It's definitely overblown. But in the end, hopefully this means I'll have to stop hearing about it!
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #12306 on: April 29, 2014, 03:01:08 PM »
I can't see Stern going this far, or Goddell in the NFL. Pretty impressed although my only gripe is that banning him from attending games seems odd. If he wants to attend a game so be it, put him on the jumbo tron and let people boo the fuck out of him.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #12307 on: April 29, 2014, 03:01:43 PM »
I'd be pretty content if some asshole boss who sees me as nothing more than some slave picking cotton basketballs was replaced.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #12308 on: April 29, 2014, 03:02:21 PM »
I guess faux news is pissy that people can tell a billionaire what to do.
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12309 on: April 29, 2014, 03:04:01 PM »
I can't see Stern going this far, or Goddell in the NFL. Pretty impressed although my only gripe is that banning him from attending games seems odd. If he wants to attend a game so be it, put him on the jumbo tron and let people boo the fuck out of him.

They would have if there was audio tape. That is the key thing here. It was no longer a he said, she said allegation thing. Once it became, here is clear audio tape of a racist dude being racist that you can listen to at any time, you then had to drop the hammer. Especially in a league that is so clearly tied to black support.

Good on Silver. The only real surprise is how quick the whole thing went but in today's age, the speed of this stuff gets accelerated once it becomes such national news. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 03:07:29 PM by Stoney Mason »

Himu

« Reply #12310 on: April 29, 2014, 03:07:07 PM »
I was surprised Silver did something so fast. Last week it seemed he was just going to get fined. Definitely shows the balls on Silver.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12311 on: April 29, 2014, 03:09:03 PM »
Can't wait for the moral outrage culture to backfire and we see a major regression in the 2020's. :rejoice

I doubt it. What we're seeing right now is the last gasp of the old racist CAC generation, feebly clutching at their vanishing relevance. In another decade or two, they'll all be dead and the young urban hipsters of today will be in charge.
dog

Beezy

« Reply #12312 on: April 29, 2014, 03:09:34 PM »

They would have if there was audio tape. That is the key thing here. It was no longer a he said, she said allegation thing. Once it became, here is clear audio tape of a racist dude being racist that you can listen to at any time, you then had to drop the hammer. Especially in a league that is so clearly tied to black support.

Good on Silver. The only real surprise is how quick the whole thing went but in today's age, the speed of this stuff gets accelerated once it becomes such national news.
No one seems to understand this for some reason.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12313 on: April 29, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
#HebrewHammer
:rejoice

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #12314 on: April 29, 2014, 03:11:55 PM »
One thing is for sure, Sterling's never been fucked by a young woman like this before.

« Reply #12315 on: April 29, 2014, 03:14:35 PM »
Death to the Clipfederacy!  :rejoice
😈

Himu

« Reply #12316 on: April 29, 2014, 03:17:08 PM »

I doubt it. What we're seeing right now is the last gasp of the old racist CAC generation, feebly clutching at their vanishing relevance. In another decade or two, they'll all be dead and the young urban hipsters of today will be in charge.

Yes, and the pro-sex, anti-war, pro-drug baby boomer generation okay'd the war on drugs, gave rise to anti-feminist pro-abstinence pap, and started multiple wars. Then again, it has been argued that the youth culture movement wasn't so much as an actual culture shift as it was a drug culture, and people just made those their views because it was cool at the time. So we'll see.

Ultimately though, why I'm so apathetic about this is highlighted in the Time article written by Mr. Jabbar. Not only is it not surprising, it feels as if the main reason these people are going so hard on this is because they don't have direct control of racism that they do face on a regular basis, so they feel that with this they can finally stick it to the man. Makes sense. But the guy said very unflattering remarks about the NBA's main target demo, so he was going to go anyways - just a matter of time. Just sit and relax, people. Instead, there's outrage that the dude needs to go immediately, and will probably help breed even more contempt towards blacks in someone else - somewhere, somehow. In the end, firing this guy doesn't do much to change the landscape of America, where the black unemployment rate is 12.1. But you got a basketball team owner fired, bravo.

It angers me that there's so many racial issues in America, but the only ones that ever get as much press as this one is when someone makes flavorful remarks about another race, rather than showing actual empathy towards an entire races living experience.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12317 on: April 29, 2014, 03:21:02 PM »
One thing is for sure, Sterling's never been fucked by a young woman like this before.

This is the level of discussion/argmuent I had with my brother on the issue.

His (my brother's) entire premise was essentially some variation on the idea that gold diggers should have honor!

Where as for me it seemed like an incredibly dumb naive move for somebody to think that their 20 something year old trophy girlfriend wouldn't get back at you if you pissed them off enough.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #12318 on: April 29, 2014, 03:21:08 PM »

Yes, and the pro-sex, anti-war, pro-drug baby boomer generation okay'd the war on drugs, gave rise to anti-feminist pro-abstinence pap, and started multiple wars. Then again, it has been argued that the youth culture movement wasn't so much as an actual culture shift as it was a drug culture, and people just made those their views because it was cool at the time. So we'll see.

Ultimately though, why I'm so apathetic about this is highlighted in the Time article written by Mr. Jabbar. Not only is it not surprising, it feels as if the main reason these people are going so hard on this is because they don't have direct control of racism that they do face on a regular basis, so they feel that with this they can finally stick it to the man. Makes sense. But the guy said very unflattering remarks about the NBA's main target demo, so he was going to go anyways - just a matter of time. Just sit and relax, people. Instead, there's outrage that the dude needs to go immediately, and will probably help breed even more contempt towards blacks in someone else - somewhere, somehow. In the end, firing this guy doesn't do much to change the landscape of America, where the black unemployment rate is 12.1. But you got a basketball team owner fired, bravo.

It angers me that there's so many racial issues in America, but the only ones that ever get as much press as this one is when someone makes flavorful remarks about another race, rather than showing actual empathy towards an entire races living experience.

Some battles are just easier that doesn't make them completely bogus. A racist fuckass is getting shutout from the NBA. Yes there are other problems but are you doing anything personally to stem the tide?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12319 on: April 29, 2014, 03:24:47 PM »

Some battles are just easier that doesn't make them completely bogus. A racist fuckass is getting shutout from the NBA. Yes there are other problems but are you doing anything personally to stem the tide?

Roughly this. America (and people in general no matter what the culture) are always going to cling to dumb simple answers and gravitate to dumb simple issues. Because they are easier to understand.  Actually dealing with real racism and prejudice is hard. Both internally, institutionally, etc. That doesn't mean that when a dumb racist pops his head up, you don't whack-a-mole his ass down.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #12320 on: April 29, 2014, 03:32:25 PM »

"boo"? the game attendance ban might be for his own safety. if he showed up at a game and they showed him on the jumbotron i'd expect him to leave the place with an asshole like a vintage golf bag
地平線

Himu

« Reply #12321 on: April 29, 2014, 03:32:56 PM »
I understand why people are outraged, and he deserved the reaction, but it doesn't make it any easier.
IYKYK

etiolate

« Reply #12322 on: April 29, 2014, 03:39:08 PM »
Silver is also considering potential loss in sponsors and anger from the networks.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12323 on: April 29, 2014, 03:41:09 PM »

"boo"? the game attendance ban might be for his own safety. if he showed up at a game and they showed him on the jumbotron i'd expect him to leave the place with an asshole like a vintage golf bag

never said it would be safe
:hitler

Beezy

« Reply #12324 on: April 29, 2014, 03:49:35 PM »
In the end, firing this guy doesn't do much to change the landscape of America, where the black unemployment rate is 12.1. But you got a basketball team owner fired, bravo.

#facepalm

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12325 on: April 29, 2014, 03:52:54 PM »

what the fuck

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #12326 on: April 29, 2014, 04:55:22 PM »

:dead
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12327 on: April 29, 2014, 05:51:39 PM »
:drudge

Donald Sterling Tells Fox Reporter: The Clippers Are Not For Sale
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/donald-sterling-clippers-not-for-sale-fox

etiolate

« Reply #12328 on: April 29, 2014, 06:38:35 PM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/67878/vivek-ranadive-ill-lead-the-motion-to-force-sale

I don't know if a rookie owner should be the one to push this and hope to get it done.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12329 on: April 29, 2014, 06:50:23 PM »
In that article it says 29/29 came out in favor of the decision, I'd be surprised if it didn't happened regardless of who initiates.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12330 on: April 29, 2014, 06:51:22 PM »
Diddy and Mayweather reportedly interested in ownership
:leon

they should join Magic's bid.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #12331 on: April 29, 2014, 07:31:56 PM »
Sterling should agree to a compromise where he sells the team but Magic is banned from going to any NBA games. Or appearing on any telecast.

I guess faux news is pissy that people can tell a billionaire what to do.
Nobody tell them it's other billionaires.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:33:28 PM by benjipwns »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12332 on: April 29, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
Wiz still looking good.

benjipwns

« Reply #12333 on: April 29, 2014, 09:44:09 PM »
Arash MarkaziVerified account
Roger Mason said players were prepared to boycott tonight's games if they were not satisfied with punishment. Not just Clippers & Warriors.
I wonder if they would have had the guts to boycott like the Pacers last night.
Roy should try to save his career by claiming that.
:dead

benjipwns

« Reply #12334 on: April 29, 2014, 10:16:15 PM »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #12335 on: April 29, 2014, 10:29:56 PM »
chicago couldn't get a rebound to save their life
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12336 on: April 29, 2014, 10:31:07 PM »
Who would have thunk it that the Wizards have a pretty nice path to conference finals especially obviously if the Hawks beat the Pacers.

Miami are the gods of luck this off-season.

Imagine how different this off-season would be if playoff teams were seeded on a league basis rather than a conference basis.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:33:18 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12337 on: April 29, 2014, 10:49:27 PM »
Thunder getting their ass kicked at the moment.

Poor Durant. If he loses this series now the stupid can't win the big one meme will start big time.

benjipwns

« Reply #12338 on: April 29, 2014, 10:55:04 PM »
Do you think the Wizards (and Hawks for that manner) are as surprised as everyone else? Like they get in the locker room after the games and are like "what in the fuck is going on with us!"

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12339 on: April 29, 2014, 11:01:15 PM »
Grizz can be so frustrating. They have such great defense but then go on these epic runs of not being able to do anything on offense that costs them games like this.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #12340 on: April 29, 2014, 11:06:17 PM »
Do you think the Wizards (and Hawks for that manner) are as surprised as everyone else? Like they get in the locker room after the games and are like "what in the fuck is going on with us!"

I was a bit surprised everyone took the Bulls.  I thought the Wizards were clearly a better, more talented team when healthy.  Every one of my friends who follow the Wizards wanted to catch the Chicago in the first round.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #12341 on: April 29, 2014, 11:42:12 PM »
The Pacers have sucked the past month plus, right? I still don't think anyone was picking the Hawks. Certainly no one I know other than maybe one crazy ass Atlanta sports fan, but I don't take her seriously.
yar

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12342 on: April 29, 2014, 11:46:06 PM »
Some of the people who really follow the Pacers professionally were actually picking the Hawks. What they were seeing was so alarming that they legit thought the Pacers had lost whatever they once had.  I personally still thought the Pacers would win but there was some legit thought that the Hawks could be a problem for the Pacers.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12343 on: April 29, 2014, 11:46:29 PM »
Wow Grizz.

Amazing play by Bestbrook.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12344 on: April 29, 2014, 11:48:12 PM »
My god grizz. You have blown this series.

Another OT game.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12345 on: April 29, 2014, 11:52:18 PM »
Huge Miller 3's

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12346 on: April 30, 2014, 12:05:57 AM »
Joey Crawford distracting Durant!

:lawd

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12347 on: April 30, 2014, 12:09:19 AM »
Holy shit. What a bizarre ending

grognard

« Reply #12348 on: April 30, 2014, 12:11:47 AM »
Haha, that was close.  I hope the Grizz close this out in game 6.

Stoney Mason

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:20:22 AM by Stoney Mason »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #12350 on: April 30, 2014, 12:25:01 AM »
TV crapped out at the wrong time.  I saw Ibaka got the shot off too late.  What happened with Crawford and Durant there?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12351 on: April 30, 2014, 12:26:38 AM »
Something about the incorrect number of fouls listed on the scoreboard where the players look.

« Reply #12352 on: April 30, 2014, 01:41:57 AM »
what a clown
😈

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12354 on: April 30, 2014, 10:54:30 AM »
Look at PER from the playoffs and some quick random thoughts.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/seasontype/3

The Thunder can still win their series but it seems like they got the worst bit of luck possible. They ended up matching up with a team that is a terrible match up for them anyway. The Grizz were the 7th seed but Marc Gasol only played 59 games. With him healthier, they would have ended up the 4th seed or even higher.

And Durant and Westbrook are under performing at the moment relative to their season numbers. Durant especially is way way down on his season performance. Obviously this is due to the great defense of the grizz and without a real solid third scoring option ala Harden, they are struggling. Every game has been close. So this series could be going the other way easily but its not so it is what it is.

Dallas seems to be giving the Spurs fits at the moment which is amazing considering Dirk is playing terribly. His per is 11.31. 106th in the post-season. I just think Carlise is the best coach in basketball. He always makes do with what he has and gets them to over-perform. So sad his championship roster got destroyed back in the day.

The Clips seem to be overperforming relative to the regular season. DeAndre has emerged as that third piece they always needed along with Paul and Blake. All three have PER's over 20. Curious to see if he can keep it up.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #12355 on: April 30, 2014, 10:57:10 AM »
Damn, Miami really IS lucking into a piss easy playoffs run:

- No Bulls
- Looks like no Pacers
- Just needs to get past a hobbled old Nets team, most likely
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12356 on: April 30, 2014, 11:05:34 AM »
I'm sure Awesom-O will bring this up nonstop if the Heat win.

Spurs look shaky too.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12357 on: April 30, 2014, 11:06:31 AM »
As crazy as it sounds I still think the Pacers have a chance (to beat the Hawks at least). I think they will go with what got them to close the gap in the last game. A smaller, quicker, line-up. I think Vogel is desperate enough now to go with whatever works instead of being afraid of ruffling feathers. And I think a small line-up is much more attractive against the hawks.

Beezy

« Reply #12358 on: April 30, 2014, 11:08:20 AM »
And Durant and Westbrook are under performing at the moment relative to their season numbers. Durant especially is way way down on his season performance. Obviously this is due to the great defense of the grizz and without a real solid third scoring option ala Harden, they are struggling. Every game has been close. So this series could be going the other way easily but its not so it is what it is.
Scott Brooks

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12359 on: April 30, 2014, 11:13:31 AM »
Scott Brooks certainly isn't ideal but I really do think the series could be either way. Tony Allen alone has almost handed the Thunder multiple games by himself. Which is not to take away from this tremendous effort on defense. Just to say that his thinking on the court at critical times, scares the shit out of me. If they lose in the first round here Brooks is almost certainly gone. I'm probably just being a hater here but I think brooks honestly isn't any worse than
Spoelstra. By that I mean they are both intensly mediocre NBA coaches. One has just gotten a bit luckier.

Every day now I think somebody in the Thunder organization must be kicking themselves about letting Harden go. In the old days if Durant and Westbrook were struggling you had this amazing third scoring option to bail you out. With that gone the grizz seem tailor made to match up against them.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:20:15 AM by Stoney Mason »