Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519558 times)

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #13680 on: September 29, 2014, 07:58:35 AM »
I love it when a white guy who looks like my accountant tries to mean mug with Lebron and Kyrie...lols!
YMMV

« Reply #13681 on: September 29, 2014, 08:00:38 AM »
he'd bust your ass in a game of 21 tho
😈

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13682 on: September 29, 2014, 08:26:46 AM »
he'd bust your ass in a game of 21 tho

No doubt....as a Cleveland fan I'm excited as hell to have him on the squad.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #13683 on: September 29, 2014, 11:46:25 AM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rockets-gm-daryl-morey-fires-back-at-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-082844311.html

In Cuban's most recent baiting of the Rockets, he proclaimed that Morey had little regard for player chemistry, relying largely on the merits of math. Morey seethed over the premise and fired back to Yahoo Sports: "I completely reject it."

"Our teams have had great chemistry, and it's something we believe in. Hey, if Mark believed so much in chemistry, he wouldn't have busted up a title team for cap room. He's trying to reunite a lot of those people now, bringing back the center [Tyson Chandler] from that title team. Maybe he's got some chemistry religion recently.

"He's tripled his analytics staff. If he's equating analytics with not caring about chemistry, well, he's tripling down on it. I think he's smart to paint a competitor in a negative light, but none of those statements are lining up. He says that we're the team that you sign with and then we will trade you, when that's what he said he would've done with Dwight.

"We don't care about chemistry, but he busted up a championship team for what he hoped cap room could do."

:mynicca

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13684 on: September 29, 2014, 11:51:08 AM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rockets-gm-daryl-morey-fires-back-at-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-082844311.html

In Cuban's most recent baiting of the Rockets, he proclaimed that Morey had little regard for player chemistry, relying largely on the merits of math. Morey seethed over the premise and fired back to Yahoo Sports: "I completely reject it."

"Our teams have had great chemistry, and it's something we believe in. Hey, if Mark believed so much in chemistry, he wouldn't have busted up a title team for cap room. He's trying to reunite a lot of those people now, bringing back the center [Tyson Chandler] from that title team. Maybe he's got some chemistry religion recently.

"He's tripled his analytics staff. If he's equating analytics with not caring about chemistry, well, he's tripling down on it. I think he's smart to paint a competitor in a negative light, but none of those statements are lining up. He says that we're the team that you sign with and then we will trade you, when that's what he said he would've done with Dwight.

"We don't care about chemistry, but he busted up a championship team for what he hoped cap room could do."

Who gives a shit what either of these guys have to say. Lebron is a better gm/owner than both of them

:hitler
YMMV

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #13685 on: September 29, 2014, 11:55:26 AM »
Workers' self-management. :lawd

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13686 on: September 29, 2014, 11:57:58 AM »
Workers' self-management. :lawd

Dat one party system

:umad

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:30:20 PM by Am_I_Anonymous »
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13687 on: September 29, 2014, 01:32:24 PM »
http://deadspin.com/lebrons-hair-is-gone-again-what-the-hell-1640293873?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

In this link above white people don't understand how black dudes hair works.

:what

I have a similar issue as lebron. Receding front hairline. When it gets hot and heated or say when you just wake up its not laying down and straight. So it appears a lot more sparse. When you brush it or put hair product in, it lays down. And it appears like there is more of it even though you can still see its thinning there in comparison to the rest of your hair.

And that's today's episode of getting to know black people.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13688 on: September 29, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »
http://deadspin.com/lebrons-hair-is-gone-again-what-the-hell-1640293873?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

I have a similar issue as lebron. Receding front hairline. When it gets hot and heated or say when you just wake up its not laying down and straight. So it appears a lot more sparse. When you brush it or put hair product in, it lays down. And it appears like there is more of it even though you can still see its thinning there in comparison to the rest of your hair.

Dude...look at the pic at the top of the page. Look again. Now look at his pics yesterday. Some magical shit was done there. C'mon man.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13689 on: September 29, 2014, 01:36:30 PM »

Dude...look at the pic at the top of the page. Look again. Now look at his pics yesterday. Some magical shit was done there. C'mon man.

I could show you the same thing with my hair. I won't. But I could.

Some days I hop out of the shower and its all I can do to not cry.

Ten minutes later after a brushing and some hair gel, I'm back to Billy Dee Williams. It happens.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13690 on: September 29, 2014, 01:38:07 PM »

Ten minutes later after a brushing and some hair gel, I'm back to Billy Dee Williams. It happens.

To be fair I've shaved my head since college. But I'm still certain there is some chiapet in lebron's shit. I can see a small improvement. Not a full solid recovery.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13691 on: September 29, 2014, 01:41:31 PM »

To be fair I've shaved my head since college. But I'm still certain there is some chiapet in lebron's shit. I can see a small improvement. Not a full solid recovery.

And to be fair on the other said, he certainly could be potentially doing something. Some men are very vain. Years ago before my dad passed he was in the hospital for a few months. The #1 thing he wanted was his hair dye so he could get it back to black from grey. And this was a dude who was balding anyway. He basically looked like Sherman Hemsley.

I grew up in the jordan era so a much larger percentage of those dudes just say, shave it off.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13692 on: September 29, 2014, 01:42:52 PM »

And to be fair on the other said, he certainly could be potentially doing something. Some men are very vain. Years ago before my dad passed he was in the hospital for a few months. The #1 thing he wanted was his hair dye so he could get it back to black from grey. And this was a dude who was balding anyway. He basically looked like Sherman Hemsley.

I'm with your dad. I found some grays growing out a a year or so ago so now I shave my head the minute I see hair buds. And I won't grow a beard because I won't admit I need just for men.

#firstworldproblems
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13693 on: September 29, 2014, 01:48:53 PM »
I kinda miss when World B Free looking dudes just played in the NBA.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:52:58 PM by Stoney Mason »

Beezy

« Reply #13694 on: September 29, 2014, 02:16:58 PM »
I'd shave my hair off too if I thought I'd look okay bald. But I have a big head. Big bald heads don't... work.

At least my hairline is just receding slowly and doesn't seem to be thinning at all.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #13695 on: September 29, 2014, 02:23:17 PM »
It's clear LeBron doesn't have the hair for the hairline he debuted in the interview. I also have issues with hair laying down but nah...look at the hairline towards the ends.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13696 on: September 29, 2014, 02:31:55 PM »
I kinda miss when World B Free looking dudes just played in the NBA.

(Image removed from quote.)

Clyde had 0 fucks to give.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13697 on: September 29, 2014, 02:52:08 PM »
I'd shave my hair off too if I thought I'd look okay bald. But I have a big head. Big bald heads don't... work.

At least my hairline is just receding slowly and doesn't seem to be thinning at all.

I don't know if big is the problem. Some brothers have pretty big heads but they can still rock a nice bald head.

Ving Rhames springs to mind.

I think some dudes kinda have mis-shapen heads though. And hair covers that. But baldness can make it look a bit odd. Like a Deebo kind of head.

« Reply #13698 on: September 30, 2014, 05:05:01 PM »
your god is throwing shade
https://vine.co/v/OmAKP79pvmV
😈

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13699 on: October 01, 2014, 11:34:31 AM »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13700 on: October 01, 2014, 12:36:52 PM »

To bad he isn't as good as Kyrie Irving. Look at him though all thug going after the puppy. Come at Iriving with your bullshit bro.

Also look forward to your 0-4 playoff record against the cavs.

Edit: Lebron and Love should just reply and clown their whole bullshit squad.
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13701 on: October 01, 2014, 02:47:51 PM »
lol dude.  Wizards are going to be great this season.  And Wall/Irving were pretty much statistically equal last season.  Wall had more assists (mostly due to Irving shouldering most of the offensive load)
püp

etiolate

« Reply #13702 on: October 01, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
Media Day bingo card. This thing is great.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13703 on: October 01, 2014, 03:06:24 PM »
lol dude.  Wizards are going to be great this season.  And Wall/Irving were pretty much statistically equal last season.  Wall had more assists (mostly due to Irving shouldering most of the offensive load)

Cavs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wizards, bro
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13704 on: October 01, 2014, 03:12:47 PM »
We don't know shit about shit.  Cavs definitely have the POTENTIAL to be the top team in the East.  But the Wizards have proven to be a good team in the East, and they will most assuredly get better this season.  Wouldn't surprise me if they end up being the 3 or 4 seed.
püp

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13705 on: October 01, 2014, 03:14:54 PM »
We don't know shit about shit.  Cavs definitely have the POTENTIAL to be the top team in the East.  But the Wizards have proven to be a good team in the East, and they will most assuredly get better this season.  Wouldn't surprise me if they end up being the 3 or 4 seed.

I will punch you in the fart box.

You're actually correct. But I still hate the Wizards from the last time the turds thought they could beat the Cavs.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13706 on: October 02, 2014, 01:43:28 PM »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13707 on: October 02, 2014, 01:46:58 PM »

Seriously, fuck Shaq. He needs to drop out of the media, douchebag.
YMMV

etiolate

« Reply #13708 on: October 02, 2014, 01:52:21 PM »
They should point out that Shaq has been stealing CWebb's spot on TNT for years.

etiolate

Phoenix Dark

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #13711 on: October 02, 2014, 08:29:07 PM »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #13712 on: October 03, 2014, 03:27:33 AM »
Love is right there with them in the break.  :gladbron

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #13713 on: October 03, 2014, 02:18:38 PM »
Birdman's tattoos have reached a whole new level.

©ZH

Stoney Mason

etiolate

« Reply #13715 on: October 03, 2014, 07:39:42 PM »
You can't put in those changes without changing the imbalance of power between large markets and small markets in Free Agency, and you can't change that imbalance without changing the culture in the NBA that heightens that imbalance.

I know the Sixers are acting like a minor league team, but that's one GM in the league going to an extreme. It's one problem you're going to exchange for multiple problems if you do this the wrong way.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13716 on: October 03, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »
I think it would be simpler to put in rules that basically forbid a team that gets a top 3 pick from getting the top 3 pick in x number of future drafts.

You can play with the numbers on that somewhat and I still think you end up with a better system.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13718 on: October 05, 2014, 10:09:45 PM »

Can't wait for the season to start.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #13719 on: October 05, 2014, 10:21:06 PM »
Good god at Love, Thompson and Varejao's rebounds in the minutes played.  :lol

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13720 on: October 06, 2014, 08:44:43 AM »
Good god at Love, Thompson and Varejao's rebounds in the minutes played.  :lol

Don't forget Lebron ain't no scrub either at grabbing boards.

We gonna get like all them rebounds.
YMMV

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Re: The NBA thread (Season starts Oct 28th)
« Reply #13721 on: October 06, 2014, 09:58:20 AM »
A Cavs team where Lebron isn't pounding a hole into the floor for 95% of the time.

:lawd

Lebron-Varejao backdoor passes.

Kyrie not getting double teamed.

Not relying on Dion Waiters to win games.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13722 on: October 06, 2014, 10:31:36 AM »
A Cavs team where Lebron isn't pounding a hole into the floor for 95% of the time.

Lebron-Varejao backdoor passes.

Kyrie not getting double teamed.

Not relying on Dion Waiters to win games.

Between the Indians winning 85 games, the browns actually looking like a football team, and our own arch-villian Cavs team it's good to be a Cleveland guy right about now  :D
YMMV

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #13723 on: October 06, 2014, 11:12:01 AM »
They are indeed an impressive squad.
UK

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #13725 on: October 06, 2014, 12:00:41 PM »
TNT's coverage of the NBA is just vastly superior to ESPN's.
UK

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13726 on: October 06, 2014, 12:02:19 PM »
TNT's coverage of the NBA is just vastly superior to ESPN's.

Agreed, I can never get enough of Barkley. He's freaking awesome.
YMMV

etiolate

« Reply #13727 on: October 06, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
From what I've read, the NBA couldn't negotiate with other partners until next year. So ESPN got the renewal done now so they can keep others from getting any games. It's a shame because ESPN/ABC's coverage is kind of damaging for the league it's so shite.

On the bright side, TNT is going to do more games.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13728 on: October 06, 2014, 01:41:16 PM »
From what I've read, the NBA couldn't negotiate with other partners until next year. So ESPN got the renewal done now so they can keep others from getting any games. It's a shame because ESPN/ABC's coverage is kind of damaging for the league it's so shite.

On the bright side, TNT is going to do more games.

ESPN's coverage of games is horrible. I can't stand 99% of their crew.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13729 on: October 06, 2014, 01:43:29 PM »
ESPN/ABC coverage does suck but there is something to be said from a marketing/awareness angle because of the cross promotion it offers with sportscenter.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #13730 on: October 06, 2014, 01:46:57 PM »
Seems like this opens the door to some late night network games. ESPN/ABC suck but it'll be good to return to evening games. NFL blueprint, finally.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13731 on: October 06, 2014, 01:47:36 PM »
Seems like this opens the door to some late night network games. ESPN/ABC suck but it'll be good to return to evening games. NFL blueprint, finally.

One would hope so. I would like to see Denver or Portland play a few more times a year. Lakers......not so much.
YMMV

etiolate

« Reply #13732 on: October 06, 2014, 01:51:35 PM »
ESPN/ABC coverage does suck but there is something to be said from a marketing/awareness angle because of the cross promotion it offers with sportscenter.

It does buff their sportscenter coverage, but I feel the way ABC acts like NBA is an afterthought does PR damage. It's like the only national coverage the NBA gets and it always feels like ABC doesn't give a fuck.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13733 on: October 06, 2014, 01:52:43 PM »

It does buff their sportscenter coverage, but I feel the way ABC acts like NBA is an afterthought does PR damage. It's like the only national coverage the NBA gets and it always feels like ABC doesn't give a fuck.

needs more marv albert and mike fratello imo.
YMMV

etiolate

« Reply #13734 on: October 06, 2014, 01:53:54 PM »
I loved Jon Barry as a player. I even have a Barry kings jersey.

But I can't stand him as an announcer. ESPN/ABC loves his ass though.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13735 on: October 06, 2014, 01:56:14 PM »

I don't disagree.

I grew up with the NBA on CBS and it was treated in a very great manner. Same when it went to NBC. ABC does a real shit job with it in all respects compared to what came before.

ABC has never embraced the drama and promotion the way the other networks did.

Instead we get this.

:kobeyuck
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 02:05:01 PM by Stoney Mason »

etiolate

« Reply #13736 on: October 06, 2014, 02:03:45 PM »
Oh well. NBATV is pretty good at least. Payton, Webber, Steve Smith and others are decent to good. Fan night picks are cool since you sometimes get non-major teams. Plus the classic games.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nbas-new-tv-deal-blow-up-the-salary-cap/

Lowe article on how this MAY change the salary cap. I doubt the NBA wants the cap to balloon quickly. Most of the article is about FAs or a possible strike, but I think players signed on longer contracts -pre-TV deal will be more valuable or desirable now that they eat up la smaller % of cap space.

Like the Josh Smith deal frightened me for the Kings, but if the cap reaches 80 million, his deal is going to be the same that some lesser players are going to get in the coming years.

Am_I_Anonymous

YMMV

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #13738 on: October 06, 2014, 02:16:50 PM »
Does Marv still like to bite people?
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13739 on: October 06, 2014, 02:19:26 PM »
I loved Jon Barry as a player. I even have a Barry kings jersey.

But I can't stand him as an announcer. ESPN/ABC loves his ass though.

He's worse than cancer. Barry is one of the few announcers who will make me turn off a game. I find him that annoying and awful. At least he's been demoted to the lesser games more often than not.