Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1520626 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #14520 on: January 09, 2015, 09:17:29 PM »
Mr. Van Gundy, tear down this wall!

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #14521 on: January 09, 2015, 10:43:41 PM »
Think I'll watch the Warriors kick the shit out of the Cavs.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14522 on: January 10, 2015, 01:09:27 AM »
That went about as expected. The Warriors were in control pretty much from the get go.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #14523 on: January 10, 2015, 01:39:38 AM »
Hawks seem to be for real

:leon
yar

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #14524 on: January 10, 2015, 04:55:11 AM »
You are a very sad, petty man.
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14525 on: January 10, 2015, 09:25:04 AM »
This Cavs season makes me realize that we were just one Spurs rebound away from LeBron being held to one title, and one Spurs rebound and a full lockout season away from LeBron going title-less.

Kobe was just one rape charge from being held to 3 titles, so it balances out.
dog

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14526 on: January 10, 2015, 01:39:14 PM »
Lebron has never had a truly great coach.  The dude can only do so much.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14527 on: January 10, 2015, 02:13:07 PM »
Phil Jackson: Blame me for disaster

NEW YORK -- Phil Jackson delivered a message to New York Knicks fans on Saturday afternoon: Blame me for the team's disastrous season.

"This is a mea culpa. I take responsibility for it," Jackson said

Jackson reiterated on Saturday that he thought the Knicks would be a playoff team this season. Instead, things have gone horribly wrong for Jackson and the Knicks.

New York entered Saturday's game against the Charlotte Hornets with a 5-34 record, the worst in the NBA. The club took the court Saturday with a franchise-high 14-game losing streak and having lost 24 of 25.

So instead of trying to chase a playoff berth, Jackson changed course on Monday and executed a trade that essentially pulled the plug on the season. He sent Iman Shumpert and J.R Smith to Cleveland in a three-team trade that netted the Knicks two trade exceptions and a 2019 second-round pick.

"There was something going on there that didn't click toward making winning necessary or a possibility for us," Jackson said.

He added that he didn't want fans to blame first-year head coach Derek Fisher for the Knicks' struggles.

"The fans, I want them to leave Derek alone in this regard. He's doing the best job possible. It's not his fault," Jackson said.

The president will now try to rebuild the Knicks through free agency and the draft. The Knicks expect to have a top pick in June's draft and may have upwards of $25 million to spend in free agency.

Jackson reiterated on Saturday that he is concerned that the team's record will make it an unattractive destination for free agents.

"We're all worried about the fact that money is not going to just be able to buy you necessary talent. You're going to have to have places where people want to come and play," said Jackson, who signed a five-year contract worth a reported $60 million last March to serve as team president. "But I do think that New York situation holds a high regard in players and agents that have contacted us. We have no lack of agents that have contacted us for their players. We still think that we have a really good chance to develop a team."

Jackson also said that "no one should be surprised" if the Knicks continue to reshape the roster through trades prior to the February trade deadline.

Lastly, he mentioned that surgery is a possibility for injured star Carmelo Anthony. Anthony has missed seven straight games with soreness in his left knee.

"I think for Melo the last resort is surgery, as it should be for anybody," Jackson said. "Surgery is basically to repair and to correct. He's got a situation that could exacerbate, could get difficult, could be better with the surgery, but he wants to really try it again and see where he's going to be at. The next period of time we'll assess that and we'll sit down and talk to him about it. I know the All-Star game (at Madison Square Garden) is important for him down the road in February. I know this trip to London (for the Knicks game against the Milwaukee Bucks on Jan .15) will be important for him to play. He sees possibilities of helping the team get back and be better."

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #14528 on: January 10, 2015, 02:58:44 PM »
It's like realizing you had a chance to date Nicole Kidman or something. What could have been.
this shit just keeps coming full circle :beli

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #14529 on: January 10, 2015, 03:08:52 PM »
He's not too far off. I'm still surprised at how the Heat beat the Spurs in the finals.

El Babua

« Reply #14530 on: January 10, 2015, 06:21:43 PM »
"Rebound Bosh, back out to Allen." :rejoice

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Can Kevin Love get a rebound like that when it counts? I think not. :smug
[close]

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14531 on: January 10, 2015, 06:49:53 PM »
HIS three pointer....BANGGGG

TIE GAME WITH FIVE SECONDS REMAINING

Breen the goat
püp

benjipwns

« Reply #14532 on: January 10, 2015, 10:53:22 PM »
The New Orleans Pelicans have agreed to send former lottery pick Austin Rivers to the Celtics to help complete Boston's looming Jeff Green trade with Memphis, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Pelicans have been recruited to join the trade struck Friday by the Celtics and Grizzlies by sending Rivers to Boston and taking on guard Quincy Pondexter from the Grizzlies.

On Friday, as ESPN.com first reported, Boston and Memphis came to terms on the larger elements of a deal, with the Celtics agreeing to send Green to the Grizzlies for Tayshaun Prince's $7.7 million expiring contract and a future first-round pick.

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #14533 on: January 11, 2015, 04:01:44 AM »
Jodie Meeks mention

obligatory:

remember when this program was irrelevant? :aah

Ahh college, what a terrible time of sport for me.
UK

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #14534 on: January 11, 2015, 08:05:43 PM »
Nick Calathes' hairline is absurd

Beezy

« Reply #14535 on: January 11, 2015, 08:48:18 PM »
Hassan Whiteside what the fuck. I know the Clippers aren't the best at defending the paint, but damn.

El Babua

« Reply #14536 on: January 11, 2015, 08:58:10 PM »
Just one game. Hoping for the best but tempering hype. As long as he can take pressure off Bosh, fuck yeah.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #14537 on: January 11, 2015, 09:04:04 PM »
The New Orleans Pelicans have agreed to send former lottery pick Austin Rivers to the Celtics to help complete Boston's looming Jeff Green trade with Memphis, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Pelicans have been recruited to join the trade struck Friday by the Celtics and Grizzlies by sending Rivers to Boston and taking on guard Quincy Pondexter from the Grizzlies.

On Friday, as ESPN.com first reported, Boston and Memphis came to terms on the larger elements of a deal, with the Celtics agreeing to send Green to the Grizzlies for Tayshaun Prince's $7.7 million expiring contract and a future first-round pick.

draft duke shooting guards, brehs

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14538 on: January 12, 2015, 12:49:20 AM »
Dude Blatt ain't working.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14539 on: January 12, 2015, 02:07:42 PM »
An NBA scout attending the Kings-Cavs game also criticized Cleveland's shoddy transition defense to ESPN.com.

The Kings scored 22 points off the Cavs' 14 turnovers and outscored Cleveland 17-5 in fast-break points.

"This is a team in disarray," the scout said. "They are so discombobulated out there with their new pieces. And it's not just that, there were guys not even crossing half court to get back on transition D."

Blatt, who said on Friday the team was improving despite its record following an 18-point loss to Golden State, tried to find a silver lining in the fact that Cleveland held Sacramento to 44 points on 42.5 percent shooting in the second half, but ultimately could not spin the result to a positive.

"It wasn't a good step today. It wasn't a good performance by us, honestly. You can't sugarcoat it," Blatt said. "There were in the second half good moments, particularly on the defensive end, and offensively we executed better -- we just didn't put the ball in the hole. Generally speaking, though, that was not the performance we hoped for."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12153672/david-blatt-cleveland-cavaliers-tonight-not-step-forward

Team is now 1-8 without Lebron.

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #14540 on: January 12, 2015, 02:08:23 PM »
That was the nail in his coffin. I fully expect blatt to be fired by the end of the month.

Oh I should have read further. You failed to mention where Blatt said Kevin Love wasn't a max player.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14541 on: January 12, 2015, 02:12:26 PM »
I think they will ride him out until season completion. I feel like they have to because of all the things that GM was saying publicly.

Then when the free agency stuff hits, the writing will be on the wall and he will fired then unless Cleveland has some kind of miracle second half of the season.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14542 on: January 12, 2015, 02:13:30 PM »
I think they will ride him out until season completion. I feel like they have to because of all the things that GM was saying publicly.

Then when the free agency stuff hits, the writing will be on the wall and he will fired then unless Cleveland has some kind of miracle second half of the season.

He won't make it out of this month. Book it.

Be a rookie head coach and take subtle shots at your own player, breh.
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14543 on: January 12, 2015, 03:14:23 PM »
Blatt isn't going anywhere.  You're crazy.
püp

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14544 on: January 12, 2015, 03:15:29 PM »
Blatt isn't going anywhere.  You're crazy.

We'll see.
YMMV

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #14545 on: January 12, 2015, 03:41:49 PM »
Your sports takes are always terrible, AiA.

The GM's reputation is on the line to make Blatt work, so he's going to stick with the guy as long as possible. You keep churning through coaches and your organization will have no credibility with attracting quality coaches. Gilbert knows that.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14546 on: January 12, 2015, 04:39:12 PM »
Your sports takes are always terrible, AiA.

The GM's reputation is on the line to make Blatt work, so he's going to stick with the guy as long as possible. You keep churning through coaches and your organization will have no credibility with attracting quality coaches. Gilbert knows that.

That's because you didn't play. Easy to be you and cast aspersions.

Make sure you're the first to step up when he's canned.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14547 on: January 12, 2015, 04:46:58 PM »
http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=12092236&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B"ref"%3A"https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F"%7D

When this broke and NOT one player defended Blatt it was time to make a move.

I mean this is one of about 100 articles saying the same thing. Last time this happened it was Mike Brown and the Lakers.

Lebron "what other coaches do we have?"
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14548 on: January 12, 2015, 05:39:02 PM »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14549 on: January 12, 2015, 05:47:45 PM »
And what happens when Lebron comes back and they inevitably win 20 over the next 30 games?

You're projecting way too much dude.
püp

« Reply #14550 on: January 12, 2015, 10:52:14 PM »
😈

benjipwns

« Reply #14551 on: January 12, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14552 on: January 12, 2015, 11:22:50 PM »
Holy fucking shit  :o
püp

benjipwns

« Reply #14553 on: January 13, 2015, 06:49:06 PM »
The Brooklyn Nets are available on the open market.

Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov, five years into his failed championship pursuit as Nets owner, has made it known that the team is up for sale, according to league sources.
yup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14554 on: January 13, 2015, 07:16:25 PM »
Bought team for a few hundred million. Will sell for over a billion or maybe even 2 billion.

:mynicca

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14555 on: January 13, 2015, 10:49:33 PM »
Lebron back tonight. Cleveland still down 20 in the 3rd quarter.

benjipwns

« Reply #14556 on: January 13, 2015, 11:50:00 PM »
Mo Williams  :holeup

Beezy

« Reply #14557 on: January 13, 2015, 11:55:58 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14558 on: January 14, 2015, 12:33:13 AM »

« Reply #14559 on: January 14, 2015, 01:53:31 AM »
Kobe 3 of 19.

Fucking retire.

What happened to your god?
😈

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #14560 on: January 14, 2015, 02:17:02 AM »
Lakers going after Brandon Jennings? He better hope Kobe retires
地平線

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14561 on: January 14, 2015, 06:22:17 AM »
http://m.

:hitler
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14562 on: January 14, 2015, 09:50:50 AM »
http://m.

:hitler

Lebron also pushed Spoelstra.  Non news.
püp

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14563 on: January 14, 2015, 10:13:58 AM »
Spoelstra also sucks as a coach, just like Blatt.

Basically it's Lebron saying "you don't matter"
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14564 on: January 14, 2015, 10:20:48 AM »
Spoelstra does not suck, I am so fucking tired of hearing that from people.  With Lebron, Wade, and Bosh, Spoelstra ran some of the fastest blitz defenses in the league, as well as a dominant drive inside/score outside offensive flow.  The Heat right now have no balance and zero passing to speak of, and I don't think thats all Spoelstra's fault.
püp

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14565 on: January 14, 2015, 10:21:10 AM »
Spoelstra does not suck, I am so fucking tired of hearing that from people.  With Lebron, Wade, and Bosh, Spoelstra ran some of the fastest blitz defenses in the league, as well as a dominant drive inside/score outside offensive flow.  The Heat right now have no balance and zero passing to speak of, and I don't think thats all Spoelstra's fault.

mmm'kay.

He's trash.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14566 on: January 14, 2015, 03:08:45 PM »
I wasn't a fan of Spoelstra but whatever. Time will tell on him whether he is good or not based on what he does in the future. I will say that winning a title as a coach doesn't necessarily make you a great coach. Some coaches who have won titles have simply benefited from being in the right place at the right time and simply being competent at best

As far as Blatt, I'm not sure what is going on there and he had a great reputation as an international coach but clearly 40 games in the Cavs are trending toward being a disaster at the moment. The offense is woefully stagnant and unimaginative. The defense is awful. He's plays the starters too many minutes and Kevin Love seems to be losing confidence and effectiveness when the big three are on the floor at the same time.

This is a league where offenses like the Spurs, The Hawks, and The Warriors are clicking with constant motion and passes and the Cavs look nothing like that. They look like a bad version of the already stagnant Miami team that got stomped out by the spurs last year.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:14:32 PM by Stoney Mason »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14567 on: January 14, 2015, 03:16:03 PM »
Blatt = Spo

Spo = Blatt

The only difference is Wade, James, and Bosh had better chemistry than Irving, Bron, and Love. Not too mention Ray Allen coming off that bench. That team basically had 4 or 5 player coaches.
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14568 on: January 14, 2015, 03:16:03 PM »
No, I'm sorry, Spoelstra is a good coach.  The dude knows a ton about schemes and switches, and has been able execute trapping and double teams to great success.  When he has a solid inside present (whether that be a center or a PF playing inside), his offensive scheme scores in droves as well.

His years of tape study is obvious.  I would much rather take him than Mark Jackson, Derek Fischer, Monty Williams, Mike Brown, a bunch of others.  I'd rather take him over Dantoni, too.

He's a proven coach.
püp

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14569 on: January 14, 2015, 03:17:15 PM »
No, I'm sorry, Spoelstra is a good coach.  The dude knows a ton about schemes and switches, and has been able execute trapping and double teams to great success.  When he has a solid inside present (whether that be a center or a PF playing inside), his offensive scheme scores in droves as well.

His years of tape study is obvious.  I would much rather take him than Mark Jackson, Derek Fischer, Monty Williams, Mike Brown, a bunch of others.  I'd rather take him over Dantoni, too.

He's a proven coach.
Mike Brown: I'd take you over Mike Brown
Mark Jackson: LOL get the fuck out of here
Derek Fisher: 50/50 but players will respect him more than Spo. Unfair to use this Knicks team as a barometer when they are clearly trying to tank.
Monty Williams? Who?
Dantoni: Get the fuck out of here.
YMMV

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #14570 on: January 14, 2015, 03:18:00 PM »
Leave a team that made the Championships for a sub-500 team brehs
vin

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14571 on: January 14, 2015, 03:18:59 PM »
Leave a team that made the Championships for a sub-500 team brehs

You mean leave Miami to come home, right?

Smart business decision. Also is the season over yet? How them Miami Heat doing, breh?
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14572 on: January 14, 2015, 03:23:58 PM »

He's a proven coach.

While I'm fine with the opinion I do think its a bit odd some of the coaches you mention. Derek Fischer is a first year coach, coaching an awful team, with a GM forcing him to run a triangle. Maybe he will be good or bad clearly down the line but I think this Knicks situatiuon is not the best way to judge anybody.

And to be honest its hard to imagine Brown doing any worse than what Blatt has done so far and its not like I'm a brown fan.

My point is more its easy to look good coaching a talented team. It's much harder when your team is dog-shit. Jason Kid looks pretty good coaching an unexpectedly good team this year in the bucks versus a team with over-expectations like the nets.

I think perception is often an issue here.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14573 on: January 14, 2015, 05:02:17 PM »
I'm saying that there are truly garbage coaches in the league.  Spoelstra is not one of them.
püp

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14574 on: January 15, 2015, 12:19:48 AM »
YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #14575 on: January 15, 2015, 01:23:29 AM »
Spoelstra did have seasons before the Big Three assembled. He won 47 games (and a 6th rated defense, next year was 5th) with a starting lineup of Jermaine O'Neal-Michael Beasley-Quentin Richardson-Dwyane Wade-Carlos Arroyo/33 year old Rafer Alston/second-year Mario Chalmers.

Wade was amazing obviously, especially in the playoffs where nobody else on the team cracked 11 ppg or a PER of 11.6.

His willingness to ditch conventions and re-align his talent in a risky way in the middle of the playoffs (even if his hand was forced by Bosh's injury) is to be commended, even Pop has hesitated at times to do that. (Though he's eventually done it a number of times, like rendering Mutombo useless by playing Malik Rose in 2003. And more recently unearthing the bloated Boris Diaw to help the passing in the offense.)

Not saying he's a great coach or anything but that willingness to be flexible is a great trait for a coach. (See Scott Brooks insistence on playing Perkins so much until this year.)

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14576 on: January 15, 2015, 03:43:48 PM »
1st quarter

Bucks 33
Knicks 13

:kobeyuck
YMMV

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #14577 on: January 15, 2015, 03:50:41 PM »
Can you imagine paying good money to see garbage like that?
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14578 on: January 15, 2015, 05:22:56 PM »
©@©™

Stoney Mason