Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1520639 times)

Beezy

Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #15060 on: March 04, 2015, 11:14:57 PM »
Brow and Westbrook are monsters.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #15061 on: March 05, 2015, 12:35:58 AM »
the matrix in transition :lawd

young Barbosa :lawd

STAT before his knees exploded :lawd :lawd :lawd

Joe Johnson shot 48% from deep that year brehs.

Joe Johnson.

48%

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #15062 on: March 05, 2015, 01:38:17 AM »
Brow and Westbrook are monsters.

Westbrook is just having a phenomenal season and I honestly think its not being recognized like it should be. It's certainly MVP worthy.

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #15063 on: March 05, 2015, 07:58:47 AM »
Westbrook is on some other level right now man, holy shit.  Have not seen a guy play so far above his professional competition on the court since Jordan went ham during the 72 win season for about 10 games in a row.

Lebron carried us in Toronto, we've got to find our Scottie Pippen before the playoffs....Kyrie or Love (who's been on fire last few games)....

Also James Jones is much more effective than I like to give him credit for. Good game.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #15064 on: March 05, 2015, 08:18:55 AM »
the matrix in transition :lawd

young Barbosa :lawd

STAT before his knees exploded :lawd :lawd :lawd

Joe Johnson shot 48% from deep that year brehs.

Joe Johnson.

48%

Joe Johnson was a stud on those squads. Now he's hurt and isn't half what he use to be :tocry
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15065 on: March 05, 2015, 12:55:02 PM »
Johnson was killing it last year in the playoffs.  What a fun player to watch
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15066 on: March 05, 2015, 01:05:24 PM »
Brehs

Whiteside had 18 and 25

:lawd

dude is killing it
püp

dkdk

« Reply #15067 on: March 05, 2015, 10:17:08 PM »
Westbrook on his MyPlayer shit lately

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #15068 on: March 05, 2015, 10:28:05 PM »

:heart

Beezy

« Reply #15069 on: March 05, 2015, 11:00:43 PM »

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #15070 on: March 06, 2015, 11:29:29 PM »
How 'bout them Cavs, eh?

:heh
yar

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #15071 on: March 07, 2015, 12:20:01 AM »
in before AiA starts lashing out at everyone
:heh

no dap for Walrus tho
 :ufup

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #15072 on: March 07, 2015, 01:21:25 AM »
How many times do you see a team like the Hawks roll through the season, then the first time they get punched in the mouth in the playoffs, they fall apart. I don't believe.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15073 on: March 07, 2015, 02:19:15 AM »
How many times do you see a team like the Hawks roll through the season, then the first time they get punched in the mouth in the playoffs, they fall apart. I don't believe.

I think that's what some would argue is the biggest question mark. But I kinda feel like basketball has changed. Sometimes the system is that good when you have the players filling out the roles. The question then becomes are they truly Spurs South are not.

And Lebron had another 9 turnovers tonight to pad that career high 4.2 per game turnover average. This is as big a problem as any that the Cavs have. The offense while explosive becomes predictable with Lebron running so much of it.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #15074 on: March 07, 2015, 10:20:22 AM »
The Hawks move the ball as much as anyone but Golden State (with a similar construction) while jacking triples.

And they don't foul.

They're not as good as their record (they're beating up on the East) but they're almost top 5 in both offense and defense. Teams that do that are really tough to beat in the playoffs. A lot of title teams meet that criteria. They're 6th and 5th respectively.

Golden State is 2nd and 1st.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #15075 on: March 07, 2015, 10:31:24 AM »
The Hawks also have the best road record in the league (20-8) and the best record of any east team vs. the west (17-4)
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15076 on: March 07, 2015, 11:23:44 AM »
They'll run the Cavs out the building as LeBron cries over fouls/refuses to run back on defense, Love stands around the three point line, and Irving turns the ball over.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #15077 on: March 07, 2015, 02:52:43 PM »
Look out, 'hot' sports take coming through.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #15078 on: March 07, 2015, 03:01:02 PM »
:tocry
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15079 on: March 07, 2015, 03:23:06 PM »
That was a fun game though.  Excited to see a Cavs/Hawks conference finals

In other Eastern conference news, watch out for the Pacers.  They've been playing pretty well lately and just beat the Bulls last night.  Admittedly, a pretty tired Bulls team, but still.  We may see another Pacers/Hawks first round series.
püp

Beezy

« Reply #15080 on: March 07, 2015, 04:31:50 PM »
That was a fun game though.  Excited to see a Cavs/Hawks conference finals

In other Eastern conference news, watch out for the Pacers.  They've been playing pretty well lately and just beat the Bulls last night.  Admittedly, a pretty tired Bulls team, but still.  We may see another Pacers/Hawks first round series.
Tired and without their best player.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Jimmy Butler
[close]

They have gotten better though as each player from their original starting lineup returned from injury, but still not a playoff threat without Paul George.

dkdk

« Reply #15081 on: March 08, 2015, 05:16:49 PM »
steph handles might be better than his shooting
http://streamable.com/gcy1

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15082 on: March 08, 2015, 05:33:49 PM »
jesus christ

kerr's reaction was great

http://streamable.com/mt6o
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15083 on: March 08, 2015, 06:05:42 PM »
Kerr

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15084 on: March 08, 2015, 09:08:08 PM »
Westbrook is blowing me away, and I don't know WHAT to think of it.  He's playing so well...but why aren't they winning more?
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15085 on: March 08, 2015, 09:37:13 PM »
Westbrook is blowing me away, and I don't know WHAT to think of it.  He's playing so well...but why aren't they winning more?

What are you talking about. They are 7-3 over their last 10. He is the only dude on the team who scores and is reliable on a team that solely relies on two players. And they are missing the other player. They play in the Western Conference.

He has played out of his mind all season. This isn't a new thing. He's just been absolutely insane even more over the last few weeks. His per has always been insanely high this season.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15086 on: March 08, 2015, 09:48:02 PM »
Fair enough, I was making a dumb statement that was basically regurgitated from talk radio.  I haven't been paying close attention to them other than Westbrooks performance.  He's been playing amazing.  MVP at this point?  I just don't know.  Curry Westbrook and Harden are all tied in my eyes, at this point.
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15087 on: March 08, 2015, 10:23:10 PM »
 ::)
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15088 on: March 08, 2015, 10:41:20 PM »
I'm probably over/hyper sensitive to criticism towards Westbrook because I think he's probably the best player since Lebron to receive a hyper weird level of meta-criticism that is based around media bias. Which is also another reason, I didn't understand Durant's take on the media and wish he had made it a specific example for Westbrook. Durant never gets criticized. Westbrook is the blanket that absorbs all criticism for him.

Does he occasionally shoot too much? Yes. Does he occasionally not make the correct pass. Sure. Just like most players. But I can't stand the criticism of him in basektball  terms as if we are still in the 1950's and he should be bob cousy (or Rondo) and be an old school traditional point guard. He is not that. And putting him in that position would be the biggest waste of a talent ever.

Even before the game started, one of the blurbs next to the game on ESPN, was "is Westbrook doing too much?" And then after the game the blurb disappears because they look fucking stupid now.

End Rant.

None of that was directed at you BrandNew. Just a general media sucks rant.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:45:23 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15089 on: March 08, 2015, 10:55:29 PM »
Now after castigating media narratives, I'll engage in bringing up one.  :teehee

A lot of media types are using this interview as an example that love will not be back next year.

Love is launching 8.1 threes per contest in his last seven games. His highest rate of threes taken in Minnesota was 6.6 last year, and that was along with the inside touches he received. No matter what the statistics suggest, Love is not in agreement on the big-man long distance tag.

"I heard some people calling me that but I know I'm not a stretch-four," Love told NEOMG. "I'm a post player who can shoot. Right now I'm just doing what I'm called to do. For good, bad or indifferent, I'm playing my role and doing what's asked of me. Tonight, I stayed out on the perimeter."

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2015/03/kevin_love_2.html

And normally I would just ignore stuff like this. But honestly Love has legit looked miserable during every game this year. I can at least understand why people might put 2 and 2 together on this one. And I also don't think he liked the fit in not out thing either.

I think a big part of him leaving Minnesota was feeling disrespected over that last contract there so like most people I think feeling respected is big influencer with him.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 11:02:26 PM by Stoney Mason »

dkdk

« Reply #15090 on: March 08, 2015, 11:22:08 PM »
they have 24 hours to fill. eventually they're gonna run out of shit to talk about and the Westbrook debate is polarizing because he's such a love/hate player due to his demonstrative demeanor. it's an easy well to go back to for time filling and to catch eyeballs.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #15091 on: March 08, 2015, 11:43:06 PM »
Was Love always like this and people just didn't notice? He's one of the few basketball players I ever seen that looks like there is no joy in anything they do.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15092 on: March 09, 2015, 02:52:36 AM »
He's always been a quiet dude but I think this has been a much more difficult transition than he thought it was going to be. Not to mention, he doesn't think he's being used right.

I think it depends on how the playoffs go on whether he wants to resign. Really deep run or finals. Maybe. Surprising early exit. He bolts.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #15093 on: March 09, 2015, 03:13:49 AM »
The weird thing is, in his current role, the Cavs would be a worse team without him ... but that role is not worth all the money he will  soon demand.  So, I guess if things don't change, you might let the guy go.

Before the season started, if you told me he was going to walk, I would've thought it would crush the franchise (considering what they gave up). But now, it will just seem like a minor inconvenience.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #15094 on: March 09, 2015, 08:13:05 AM »
The weird thing is, in his current role, the Cavs would be a worse team without him ... but that role is not worth all the money he will  soon demand.  So, I guess if things don't change, you might let the guy go.

Before the season started, if you told me he was going to walk, I would've thought it would crush the franchise (considering what they gave up). But now, it will just seem like a minor inconvenience.

I may be in the extreme minority here but if we let him walk after this year (if/when we get eliminated from the playoffs) I would be okay with it.

:yeshrug
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15095 on: March 09, 2015, 08:35:21 AM »

Because the team lacks veteran leadership to teach them how to play the right way, obviously. They need to bring back Fisher.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #15096 on: March 09, 2015, 08:40:58 AM »

Because the team lacks veteran leadership to teach them how to play the right way, obviously. They need to bring back Fisher.

They are 7-3 their last 10 games, what the hell do people expect without Durant?
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15097 on: March 09, 2015, 08:42:27 AM »
I just think they need to use Love not only as a stretch 4 but in the post more to make him happy. He's too good and too young to just let him go.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15098 on: March 09, 2015, 08:47:14 AM »

They are 7-3 their last 10 games, what the hell do people expect without Durant?

I was joking :beli

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #15099 on: March 09, 2015, 08:47:23 AM »
I just think they need to use Love not only as a stretch 4 but in the post more to make him happy. He's too good and too young to just let him go.

I don't feel the chemistry coming together. He's frustrated and everybody can see it.

Plus if we could get say...

LaMarcus Aldridge (Don't laugh Cleveland is a serious contender, I think he'd at least listen)

Paul Milsap (Depends on how atlanta does this year)

even Thaddeus Young would be a better fit in my opinion.

We really need a PF with mid range game that can play defense more than a glorified face up 4.

:yeshrug
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15100 on: March 09, 2015, 11:46:04 AM »
:shrugs

I like Love and I think he fits well, he just is having a hard time fitting as good as Bosh did.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15101 on: March 09, 2015, 11:32:25 PM »
Nice situation for the Cavs. They have some tough games coming up, but Toronto, and Chicago, and Washington are all falling apart for various different reasons.

Also

:snoop
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:39:33 PM by Stoney Mason »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15102 on: March 09, 2015, 11:46:27 PM »

ToxicAdam

« Reply #15103 on: March 10, 2015, 09:04:33 AM »
Whiteside had made some comments that teams were roughing him up lately. Looks like he's had enough.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15104 on: March 10, 2015, 11:32:20 AM »
It's dumb. The other team will take that tradeoff every time of him flying off the handle compared to their scrub at center. 

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #15105 on: March 10, 2015, 11:33:07 AM »
It's dumb. The other team will take that tradeoff every time of him flying off the handle compared to their scrub at center.

In my opinion he had to make a statement. He was getting beat on pretty regularly.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15106 on: March 10, 2015, 11:48:52 AM »
They lose an all-star quality center and all it takes is Kelly Olynyk to do it.

So the statement I take away is, I'm easily riled up and will get ejected and hurt my team while the other scrub center on the other side is laughing. I'd take that trade every time.

“He’s had enough veteran advice,” Wade told reporters, according to 104.3 The Ticket’s Chris Wittyngham. “There comes a time where you have to do it yourself. There’s only so many words people can continue to say to you. You gotta do it. Not for you, you gotta do it for the other guys in here that you see sacrificing, that you see out there playing hurt and all the things that are going on. “You’re part of a team. You’re part of an organization. We all have our moments, selfish moments. But you can’t continue to keep having them, because you gotta be reliable and you gotta be able to be counted on. And right now, if he continues to act that way, then he’s not reliable.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25100809/wade-on-whiteside-if-he-continues-to-act-that-way-then-hes-not-reliable

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #15107 on: March 10, 2015, 11:50:22 AM »

So the statement I take away is, I'm easily riled up and will get ejected and hurt my team while the other scrub center on the other side is laughing. I'd take that trade every time.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25100809/wade-on-whiteside-if-he-continues-to-act-that-way-then-hes-not-reliable

I don't think you'll see it again. I'm sure Wade is handling it.
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15108 on: March 10, 2015, 11:55:40 AM »
Nah Whiteside has been acting like a bitch for the last two weeks, and its clearly frustrating the team.  Apparently Haslem went into the locker room looking rightly pissed off after Whiteside got ejected.  I would not want to fuck with Haslem.

I don't know, this dude has a history of awful behavior and a toxic attitude, and all it took for it to come back was a month of quality play.  Dude needs a reality check.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15109 on: March 10, 2015, 01:38:49 PM »

Clippers coach Doc Rivers said he didn't see the incident until he arrived at Staples Center before Monday's game against the Minnesota Timberwolves.

"Wow, that was such a violent bump," Rivers said sarcastically. "It was amazing. I told Dahntay, 'You have to be careful; that was too hard.' I guess that tough guy in Golden State, that bump was too hard for him, clearly the way he reacted, my goodness. I thought that guy was tough."

Green explained his lack of reaction Sunday, saying, "Me getting suspended and him getting suspended, it's different."

He added, "If [Jones] gets suspended, they may not even notice."

Jones said he doesn't know Green and was taken aback by the personal nature of his postgame comments.

"I was surprised because that was a little bit immature," Jones said. "He wanted to make something of it."

Jones smiled and laughed as he answered questions about the incident.

"I thought it was just a brush, honestly and truthfully," Jones said. "I may be stronger than what I think I am. I didn't do it on purpose. I don't have a reason to do it on purpose. It's cool. I apologize if I hurt his feelings."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/12451113/dahntay-jones-los-angeles-clippers-fined-10000-draymond-green-bump

lol. I hadn't followed any of this.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #15110 on: March 10, 2015, 01:40:24 PM »
Worst feud since Deshawn Stevenson actually thought he could beef with Lebron.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15111 on: March 10, 2015, 05:54:20 PM »

Time for out next dumb ass narrative.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #15112 on: March 10, 2015, 05:57:44 PM »
C'mon now.

In any universe healthy Durant > Westbrook. People have such short memories.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15113 on: March 10, 2015, 06:04:54 PM »
C'mon now.

In any universe healthy Durant > Westbrook. People have such short memories.

I wasn't going to post it but then I said fuck it. Might as well see what these people will trot out next.

My late father would often call to tell me some crazy sports take he had and it was almost always something he had heard on first take.  ::)

Anyway two good cavs games this week.

Tonight at Dallas.

Thursday at San Antonio.

dkdk

« Reply #15114 on: March 10, 2015, 06:16:40 PM »

“He’s had enough veteran advice,” Wade told reporters, according to 104.3 The Ticket’s Chris Wittyngham. “There comes a time where you have to do it yourself. There’s only so many words people can continue to say to you. You gotta do it. Not for you, you gotta do it for the other guys in here that you see sacrificing, that you see out there playing hurt and all the things that are going on. “You’re part of a team. You’re part of an organization. We all have our moments, selfish moments. But you can’t continue to keep having them, because you gotta be reliable and you gotta be able to be counted on. And right now, if he continues to act that way, then he’s not reliable.”

DWade just need to teach him to be more clever about his thuggery.

See: Kobe's broken nose & Rondo's broken arm.

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15116 on: March 10, 2015, 10:23:34 PM »
Cavs kicking the crap out of the Mavs tonight. Everybody looking good
spoiler (click to show/hide)
except Love
[close]

edit: Even he finished up with a decent game stat wise.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 10:44:40 PM by Stoney Mason »

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #15117 on: March 10, 2015, 10:29:10 PM »
Dallas has looked AWFUL over the past couple weeks. they've been playing good teams, but fuck, they've completely imploded w/ Parsons out

Stoney Mason

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #15119 on: March 12, 2015, 11:51:18 AM »
http://deadspin.com/oblivious-fan-gets-walloped-in-the-face-by-the-basketba-1690977574

It gets funnier with each slow mo. Then you see how little the guy next to her tried to deflect it. :heh
©ZH