Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519565 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The NBA thread (Countdown the the Playoffs)
« Reply #15300 on: April 13, 2015, 01:22:04 AM »
wtf are the Pistons doing

Tayshaun Prince and Joel Anthony need to be playing 40 minutes a game here Stan! This team easily could have just won five straight late in the season and moved into the playoff race. That's just irresponsible.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #15301 on: April 14, 2015, 11:44:03 AM »
Pretty impressive season for the Celts considering nothing was expected of them.

Also just a reminder.

The Cleveland Cavaliers were part of a historic night for 3-pointers on Monday as they joined the Atlanta Hawks and Portland Trail Blazers in becoming three of just 13 teams in league history with 800 or more made 3-pointers in a single season.

Cleveland shot the lights out in its 109-97 win over the Detroit Pistons, going 17-for-32 from downtown, marking the fourth time in the Cavs' past seven home games that they hit 15 triples or more.

Six of the 13 teams in league history to hit the 800-make milestone did so this season, as the Houston Rockets, Golden State Warriors and Los Angeles Clippers did so earlier in the 2014-15 campaign.

Quote from: Genius Coach Byron Scott
Our game plan is really to get to that basket,” said Scott after practice Tuesday. “I like the fact that we only shot 10 threes. If we shoot between 10 and 15, I think that’s a good mixture of getting to that basket and shooting threes.

“I don’t want us to be coming down, forcing up a bunch of threes. I really want us to attack the basket.”

I asked Lakers coach Byron Scott about his philosophy on 3-pointers. "I don't believe it wins championships. (It) gets you to the playoffs."

Also

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 12:57:27 PM by Stoney Mason »

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #15302 on: April 14, 2015, 01:14:59 PM »
Stan Van's Orlando team is kind of the template for the modern (successful) NBA team now isn't it? A competent big man surrounded by 4 (preferably long) people capable of draining 3's.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #15303 on: April 14, 2015, 01:32:41 PM »
I think you need a generational talent down low for that roster to work. It worked in Houston with Olajuwon, it worked briefly in Orlando with Shaq, and it worked for a year in a shitty Eastern conference with Dwight and a roided Rashard Lewis. Outside of AD (and maybe Jah) I don't think we see a big with as much offensive firepower who's able to make that a viable roster composition in today's NBA.

Now, three point shooting and rim protection generally speaking are very much hot commodities, due in no small part to an increased emphasis on analytics in FOs

Stoney Mason

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15305 on: April 14, 2015, 05:12:28 PM »
I love Lowe to death but I question some of his rankings

Paul over Lebron?
Bogut over Duncan?
IT not getting 6MOTY?
Pop as COTY?

I don't know, its just strange
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15306 on: April 14, 2015, 05:18:53 PM »
I'll only comment on the Chris Paul one.

Paul has played in all 82 games.

He's had a pretty terrific season stat wise.

FG 49% 
19ppg
10.3 assist versus 2.3 turnovers per game.
39% from three point range.

And he kept them afloat when blake was gone.

PER to PER there is no difference between the two. 26.04 to 26.00 this season.

benjipwns

« Reply #15307 on: April 14, 2015, 07:23:28 PM »
I think you need a generational talent down low for that roster to work.
You don't need a generational talent there, just at another position. Like LeBron, while Mozgov is the competent big who can get near a double double, anchors the D, etc.

Howard's role on the Magic was basically a supersized version of this, it's not like he had any great post moves. He was just the best defensive anchor and his offense was more competent than put backs and slams off pick and rolls.

The amusing thing to me about all the LEBRON IS AT PF WITH BATTIER hype stuff was that the Magic had basically done that same thing with Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu. And I've thought that Van Gundy kinda kicked the whole revival of the idea off by playing Odom at PF.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15308 on: April 14, 2015, 10:32:29 PM »

ToxicAdam

« Reply #15309 on: April 14, 2015, 10:46:40 PM »
It's hard to watch this Washington-Indiana game. Ugly play.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15310 on: April 14, 2015, 11:24:50 PM »
Hopefully the nets lose and the pacers win tomorrow. The problem is the nets are playing the magic I think. And I believe the pacers are playing somebody competent.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: The NBA thread (Nets/Pacers/Thunder/Pelicans)
« Reply #15311 on: April 14, 2015, 11:44:53 PM »
Heat eliminated

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #15312 on: April 15, 2015, 12:20:30 AM »
You don't need a generational talent there, just at another position. Like LeBron, while Mozgov is the competent big who can get near a double double, anchors the D, etc.

Howard's role on the Magic was basically a supersized version of this, it's not like he had any great post moves. He was just the best defensive anchor and his offense was more competent than put backs and slams off pick and rolls.

The amusing thing to me about all the LEBRON IS AT PF WITH BATTIER hype stuff was that the Magic had basically done that same thing with Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu. And I've thought that Van Gundy kinda kicked the whole revival of the idea off by playing Odom at PF.
ehh, I mean, you're right. I think you're more right than I am. I just hesitate to call Orlando the "template" because Dwight is definitely the exception to the rule here. He is a glorified garbageman but that team leaned on him way more offensively than say, Mozgov in Cleveland, Chandler in Dallas, DeAndre in LA, Lopez in Portland or Bogut in Golden State. The generational talent comment was about specifically trying to build a knock-off Olajuwon Rockets team, which I'm arguing is only viable if you have a legit great offensive big. I think Unibrow and (maybe) Jah are the only one's that fall into that category (in AD's case, he could easily operate as a stretch 4 on offense as well so even that's not the best example).

fake edit: now that I think about it, throw Boogie in there as well

benjipwns

« Reply #15313 on: April 15, 2015, 12:43:10 AM »
I think if there's a template, it's like the Spurs and the draft (and now their passing game) in that it's spread throughout the league now, especially by underlings.

I mean the Heat got how many articles written about their "positionless" basketball. And the Warriors are getting somewhat the same treatment for their "lots-of-similar-sized-guys" flexible rotation. Somewhere Don Nelson is crying.

benjipwns

« Reply #15314 on: April 15, 2015, 01:08:05 AM »
Actually, that's the way I tell if people actually read Moneyball or not when they talk about it. The book massively emphasizes how it's about finding untapped markets or strategies and re-evaluating conventional wisdom to gain advantages without needing financial advantage. Even a whole section about how certain situations encourage bunting iirc, which isn't player acquisition. But all most people talk about is statistical evaluation of players as being "Moneyball" strategy.

The Spurs have basically been the "moneyball" franchise of the NBA for the last twenty years. Taking and stashing Euros, managing the cap, picking through players to maximize one or two things from them, get flexible in terms of what pace you can play your game at, cut your starters minutes during the season, play the team into a rotation over the course of the season from all the players you have, they were the first team to try and change peoples jumpers too. Even though it just happened everyone kinda seems to forget the wind got taken out of the Heat's "POSITIONLESS REVOLUTION" sails because the Spurs could just play Boris Diaw at power forward without overhauling their rotation.

One of my favorites though was Don Nelson suddenly inserting Walt Williams as his center against, I think the Kings, and the entire team borderline froze like wtf do we do. He's a three point shooting small forward...but...yet...he's at center? Guarding our center? I don't...

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #15315 on: April 15, 2015, 01:46:25 AM »
Words!
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15316 on: April 15, 2015, 02:06:05 AM »
The Spurs "system" reminds of when the 49ers and the West Coast offense stuff began. And the way it filtered through out the league with all the Bill Walsh disciples and assistant coaches.

Even down to the dinosaur coaches and franchises who refused to incorporate it and were left behind. (Think Al-Davis/Lakers)

It's just a more realistic way to play basketball for the large majority of franchises who don't have a transcendent superstar.

benjipwns

« Reply #15317 on: April 15, 2015, 02:06:55 AM »

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #15318 on: April 15, 2015, 02:40:07 AM »
Man Raps have been a depressing team to watch this season, looking like a one and done come playoffs  :'(
Depth is lacking and some starters have been so underwhelming (ross and val)

I could see Pacers making a deep run now that George is back

benjipwns

« Reply #15319 on: April 15, 2015, 05:51:55 AM »
According to Nets sources last June, Pierce initially wanted $20m over 2 years to remain in "horrible" situation. NO doubt most of what Pierce has said is accurate but he did want to stay and wanted a lot of money.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12690080/washington-wizards-paul-pierce-speaks-truth
"I'm much happier,'' he said. "It was a tough situation (in Brooklyn) last year. Horrible, really.

"It was just the guys' attitudes there. It wasn't like we were surrounded by a bunch of young guys. They were vets who didn't want to play and didn't want to practice. I was looking around saying, 'What's this?' Kevin (Garnett) and I had to pick them up every day in practice.

"If me and Kevin weren't there, that team would have folded up. That team would have packed it in. We kept them going each and every day.''

The player that puzzled him the most, said Pierce, was point guard Deron Williams.

"Before I got there, I looked at Deron as an MVP candidate,'' Pierce said. "But I felt once we got there, that's not what he wanted to be. He just didn't want that.

"I think a lot of the pressure got to him sometimes. This was his first time in the national spotlight. The media in Utah is not the same as the media in New York, so that can wear on some people. I think it really affected him.''

Pierce said veteran Joe Johnson was an affable professional but also a reluctant leader.

"Joe is quiet,'' Pierce noted. "He doesn't want much attention. He doesn't say much.

"There's a lot of secondary guys on that team. KG and I went there looking at them as the main guys who would push us, because we were advancing in years. But we ended up doing all the pushing.''
"I would have stayed in Brooklyn because of Kevin,'' Pierce said. "I told him, 'I don't really like this situation but I would never leave you if you want me to stay.' But they decided not to re-sign me so I never had to make a choice. I would never have left Kevin like that.''

Garnett was traded in February to Minnesota, where he will eventually assume a front-office role as a part-owner.

"He's happy,'' Pierce said. "I'm glad he waived his no-trade clause. I told him, 'They don't appreciate you in Brooklyn, man.' They didn't even use him right.

"He's where he's supposed to be. He IS Minnesota. He never sold his house there.''
"I talk to them a lot about mental preparation and consistency,'' Pierce said. "I keep telling Wall and Beal, 'You've got to make up your mind. Do you want to be good, or do you want to be great? Because if you want to be great, you gotta do it every single night, not just when you feel like it.'

"Both of those guys have the potential to be great. I love them. But sometimes I'm not sure they realize what it takes.

"That was (Rajon) Rondo's problem, too. Some days he did, some days he didn't. I think it's more this generation. A lot of these players have been catered to since the sixth grade. The NBA is changing so much. It's not like when I came up, with that old-school mentality that practice really mattered. You've got these 24, 25 year old guys who sit out of practice now to rest. It's hard for me to understand, but I'm trying.''

Pierce was sidelined for three games with an injured toe, but the true cause, he said, was to rest a sprained right knee he has been slogging through for a month. In his previous six games before he finally took a seat, Pierce was shooting just 25.6 percent from the field and averaging single digits.

The Wizards plugged in former No. 3 pick Otto Porter Jr. in Pierce's place and he responded by averaging 13.6 points and nearly seven rebounds a game over past four outings.

"Otto is another one who just doesn't understand how good he is,'' Pierce said. "He can shoot, he's a slasher, he can defend, I'm just not sure how badly he wants it every day.

"That kid just needs to get mad. If he came to practice ticked off and to the games ticked off, he'd be fine. But it's hard to get Otto mad. I should punch him one day just to get him riled up.''

benjipwns

« Reply #15320 on: April 15, 2015, 11:01:42 PM »
If the Pacers -- down by 13 at halftime -- lose to the Grizzlies, it would mean three of last year's four conference finalists would miss the postseason: Indiana, Miami and Oklahoma City.

« Reply #15321 on: April 15, 2015, 11:48:01 PM »
Back to the 6 seed for the Spurs.
😈

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15322 on: April 15, 2015, 11:56:22 PM »
Already facing a deficit in their season finale, Indiana has lost Paul George, who was carried off the floor with an injury.

:kobeyuck

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread (Playoffs Start Saturday)
« Reply #15323 on: April 16, 2015, 01:14:19 AM »
Chris HaynesVerified account
‏@ChrisBHaynes
LeBron James was asked who he would vote on for MVP and he said Kevin Love, with a smile.

:mynicca

benjipwns

« Reply #15324 on: April 16, 2015, 03:33:25 AM »
https://vine.co/v/ezW9d92ZX2q

Sixers players were allowed to coach for the last game of the season.  :lol

Brown let several of the bench players draw up plays in the huddle. Guard Jason Richardson joked the Sixers scored on all of his plays.

benjipwns

« Reply #15325 on: April 16, 2015, 03:36:58 AM »
Among the names already linked to the Nuggets' job include Golden State Warriors associate head coach Alvin Gentry and sideline veterans Vinny Del Negro and Mike D'Antoni, who got his first NBA head-coaching opporuntity from Denver in 1999.
:bow sideline veteran Vinny Del Negro  :bow2

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15326 on: April 16, 2015, 04:12:45 AM »
The Heat had 4 players play 48 minutes tonight.

The fifth played 41 minutes.

Udonis Haslem played 7 minutes as the 6th player.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15327 on: April 16, 2015, 11:48:28 AM »
Pelicans!!
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15328 on: April 16, 2015, 04:45:30 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15329 on: April 16, 2015, 07:17:16 PM »
Super excited for the Clippers/Spurs series. That should be awesome.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #15330 on: April 16, 2015, 07:25:40 PM »
Go 'Zers!

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #15331 on: April 16, 2015, 07:53:33 PM »
Cavs in 4

Spurs in 6

Imo
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15332 on: April 17, 2015, 12:23:42 PM »

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 12:32:05 PM by Stoney Mason »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15333 on: April 17, 2015, 12:34:32 PM »
Hawks in 4
Cavs in 5
Bulls in 4
Raptors in 6

Hawks in 6
Cavs in 6

Cavs in 7

Warriors in 5
Rockets in 7
Spurs in 7
Grizz in 6

Warriors in 7
Rockets in 6

Warriors in 5

Warriors in 6

Warriors be champs

I base this all on nothing
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15334 on: April 17, 2015, 12:35:15 PM »
The Cavs don't have the killer instinct or veteran leadership required to sweep a team.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15335 on: April 17, 2015, 12:39:33 PM »
The Cavs don't have the killer instinct or veteran leadership required to sweep a team.

:skip
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15336 on: April 17, 2015, 12:50:08 PM »
First year in a awhile where I won't make any predictions and just kind of enjoy the ride.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #15337 on: April 17, 2015, 12:53:18 PM »
First year in a awhile where I won't make any predictions and just kind of enjoy the ride.

Me too. I'm glad the 'The heat will win it all or it's a huge upset' narrative is long gone.
©ZH

ToxicAdam

« Reply #15338 on: April 17, 2015, 03:17:24 PM »
I'm just rooting for an upset that no one sees coming in the first round. Like the Bucks over the Bulls.

benjipwns

« Reply #15339 on: April 17, 2015, 09:08:24 PM »
From the other day:
enveloping @enveloping  ·  Apr 14
kyrie irving left last night's game with "hip tightness." future excuses: dope swagness, rad coolness

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15340 on: April 18, 2015, 10:18:05 PM »
Heather Cox
:noah

she looks sort of like Darla Crane :lawd

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #15341 on: April 19, 2015, 03:59:02 AM »
Phoenix Dark, Man of Taste in Cougars AND Kings of Westeros! :clap :clap
UK

El Babua

« Reply #15342 on: April 19, 2015, 10:01:44 AM »
Glad Rose had a good game.

Guess I'll choose who to root for on a series-by-series basis.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #15343 on: April 19, 2015, 02:06:27 PM »
http://www.clickhole.com/blogpost/we-need-stop-teaching-our-kids-its-okay-think-chri-2264

if we don’t talk to our children about Chris Webber, they’re going to hear about him at school...

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15344 on: April 19, 2015, 03:21:09 PM »
Let's blog it. Cavs Celtics.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15345 on: April 19, 2015, 03:23:50 PM »
Celtics motion offense clicking early.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #15346 on: April 19, 2015, 03:30:01 PM »
Heather Cox
:noah

she looks sort of like Darla Crane :lawd

©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15347 on: April 19, 2015, 03:33:44 PM »
Good Celtics offense. Weak Cavs D at the end of the first quarter.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #15348 on: April 19, 2015, 03:34:08 PM »
Gooooo Zerrrrrssss

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #15349 on: April 19, 2015, 03:47:02 PM »
Celtics certainly bringing a lot of effort so far
地平線

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15350 on: April 19, 2015, 03:53:11 PM »
Cavs bearing down a little. Their offense is good.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15351 on: April 19, 2015, 03:57:19 PM »
Kyrie going off.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15352 on: April 19, 2015, 04:02:11 PM »
Both teams offenses really clicking.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15353 on: April 19, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
Poor shooting and Bad D for Love. Fitting.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #15354 on: April 19, 2015, 04:07:54 PM »
lol Shump
地平線

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #15355 on: April 19, 2015, 04:08:24 PM »
Kyrie tho
地平線

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15356 on: April 19, 2015, 04:08:42 PM »
Isiah Thomas is a terror on the offensive end. And Kyrie can just be amazing when he is on like this.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #15357 on: April 19, 2015, 04:30:46 PM »
Love's back just isn't right. You can tell by the way he moves.

I feel bad for him because he's in line for the contract of his life and he's choking.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15358 on: April 19, 2015, 05:44:30 PM »
My brother came over and we watched the rest together so I couldn't post any more after halftime. Pretty much what was expected. The Celtics might steal 1 in boston if Cleveland plays that kind of early defense but otherwise not much of a series. They are real frisky on offense though.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15359 on: April 19, 2015, 05:51:17 PM »
Love's back just isn't right. You can tell by the way he moves.

I feel bad for him because he's in line for the contract of his life and he's choking.

He'll get a massive contract either way because of the huge cap increase coming.