Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519553 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread (Playoff Time!)
« Reply #15480 on: April 26, 2015, 05:45:05 PM »
Austin Rivers looking like an actual NBA player today.

Cheddahz

« Reply #15481 on: April 26, 2015, 08:16:42 PM »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #15482 on: April 26, 2015, 08:23:58 PM »
Joe Dumars, ladies and gentlemen.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15483 on: April 26, 2015, 10:13:36 PM »
Rooting for the Bucks to extend the series another game so Love can get his rest. 
püp

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #15484 on: April 26, 2015, 11:59:19 PM »
Portland looks like they are gonna get swept.

Lot of rumours  that Aldridge will leave in free-agency either to New York or some other destination.
Everything I've seen says Dallas.

(Image removed from quote.)
Well, sure, when you're the only team willing to take on an uninsured $100+ million dollar contract.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #15485 on: April 27, 2015, 01:41:42 AM »
It's meaningless, but I'm glad the Mavericks didn't get swept. I don't know if they'll land Aldridge or not, but they're definitely gonna have to make some moves this offseason.
©@©™

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #15486 on: April 27, 2015, 02:08:54 AM »

HiResDes

« Reply #15487 on: April 27, 2015, 07:56:39 AM »
The Spurs have won me over after years of dedicated hate. I think I have a thing for old villains. Ginobili is still the master troll of the NBA. Leonard forever be sandbagging until they really need a win. Duncan is truly the god of fundamentals and referee haggling. However, every other team in the West better be rooting their ass for the Clippers at this point.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15488 on: April 27, 2015, 08:46:55 AM »
Someone used this phrase in a Bill Simmons podcast and it just fit to me. The Spurs just play solved basketball. It's like if they are completely on, that style is just unbeatable. It just fundamentally seems like the best way to play basketball if you have the quality of parts that they do.

Sometimes it fails but it always look right versus some of the junky basketball that can develop when it a team is solely reliant on a superstar doing superstar things.

Normally you would be upset with a team (even though you know its a childish feeling) for pounding your team into a pulp like they did the heat last year, but you just couldn't. It was like an instruction manual on how to play basketball the right way. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15489 on: April 27, 2015, 09:02:48 AM »
It's good to see people appreciate that style. I remember lots of complaints about "boring basketball" during the Spurs Pistons final long ago.

HiResDes

« Reply #15490 on: April 27, 2015, 09:03:53 AM »
It's kind of like watching a Coach K team, but with a bit more talent (color) on the court.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15491 on: April 27, 2015, 09:14:32 AM »
It's good to see people appreciate that style. I remember lots of complaints about "boring basketball" during the Spurs Pistons final long ago.

I do think they were boring at one time. The first few championships with Duncan and Robinson weren't the most aesthetically pleasing basketball. But then that was the era. The defensive rules still allowed you to mug people so pretty basketball was difficult to make work when you hit the playoffs.

When they changed the rules, the Spurs changed to match the new breed of up-tempo teams and that's when it got better to watch.

I never want to go back to those dark days where teams like the Knicks and Heat just beat up people and that was the dominant style.

HiResDes

« Reply #15492 on: April 27, 2015, 09:24:34 AM »
I don't know man, bad boy Piston era was hype, as were the years that followed. The physicalness of the game seemed to make rivalries and exchanges more heated. The 93 Hornets, Magic, Pacers, Rockets, Hawks, Suns and Sonics...Those were the days man.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15493 on: April 27, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
I don't know man, bad boy Piston era was hype. The physicalness of the game seemed to make rivalries and exchanges more heated. The 93 Hornets, Magic, Pacers, Knicks, Rockets, Hawks, Suns and Sonics...Those were the days man.

Yep. I loved that shit. Seeing guys come in the game who were basically just goons...always fun.

Charles Oakley
:rejoice

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15494 on: April 27, 2015, 09:33:50 AM »
I respect those players and it is what it is, but I think that era was terrible for enjoyable to watch basketball. I think it turned the game into something that I personally lost my love for at the time. And I think it turned so personality driven at the time because it had to because the product wasn't fun to watch.

That also has a lot to do with the basketball I grew up with. I grew up watching great offensive basketball in the 80's so that was basketball to me. (There was also low effort defense of course)

My basketball enjoyment in recent years has increased so much because offense is allowed to be unchained.

When it comes to football, I'm kind of an old school defensive guy so I don't like a lot of modern football but when it comes to basketball, I want the rules to always favor free flowing offenses.

I think a lot of your perception of what a sport should be is when you first become a fan of it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:49:11 AM by Stoney Mason »

HiResDes

« Reply #15495 on: April 27, 2015, 09:57:02 AM »
I feel like the front-court was more unchained than it is now actually. It was the era where you can get away with having just a marginally good back court as long as they could defend and make good passes into the paint. Gary Payton was probably my favorite guard of the era, and he really didn't shoot that well from beyond fiteen feet.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #15496 on: April 27, 2015, 10:04:59 AM »
Typical bLazers, man, always imploding in playoffs. Now we're gonna lose LA too :'(

HiResDes

« Reply #15497 on: April 27, 2015, 10:13:16 AM »
It's kind of sad thinking about how good The Blazers, Pacers, Thunder, and Bulls could have been over the years had they not been plagued by injuries or made horrible trades.

Roy, Alridge, Fernandez, Batum...Odom That could have been an amazing squad.  Everyone knows about The Thunder's all-star lineup with a healthy Durant, Harden, and Westbrook...Probably the best offensive potential of any team I can think of in the past decade. The Pacers gave up too soon, and made horrible trades in my opinion even before the Paul George injury.

Beezy

« Reply #15498 on: April 27, 2015, 01:37:46 PM »
Cavs defense might be better without him. :hitler

ToxicAdam

« Reply #15499 on: April 27, 2015, 01:55:02 PM »
Just puts more minutes on Mozgov and Thompson, which means they will be in more foul trouble.

Which then means ...  more Perkins.

:goty2

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #15500 on: April 27, 2015, 03:40:19 PM »

Those Spurs played a much, much more basic offensive style.

It wasn't completely different; even then they were spreading the floor with shooters and looking for corner 3's.  Basically they'd throw it in to Duncan in the post or run a high pick-and-roll with Parker or Ginobili and if they drew a double team they'd pass it out as the defense rotated.  But compared to the Spurs of the last few years, that team was really static, with Brent Barry and Bruce Bowen mostly standing behind the 3-point line.  The current version has constant motion from everyone even when they don't have the ball, and almost everyone in their rotation can act as a playmaker.

Popovich has said they took a lot from what the Suns were doing on offense after Phoenix finally beat them in 2010.  His willingness and ability to adapt to new ideas so deep into his coaching career is really impressive.

edit: I watched every game of that Pistons-Spurs series and thought it was really good physical basketball.  I remember thinking Spurs-Nets was hot garbage, though.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15501 on: April 27, 2015, 05:08:05 PM »
can't pass up an opportunity to post ether aimed at Jason Whitlock.
http://deadspin.com/how-jason-whitlock-is-poisoning-espns-black-grantland-1698683962

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15502 on: April 27, 2015, 05:25:44 PM »
what a fucking shitheel
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15503 on: April 27, 2015, 05:47:16 PM »
Your email to me and Danielle late Saturday night/early Sunday morning about Robin Thicke is an example of remaining off-message and tone deaf. On Friday, we had just discussed in significant detail that it is unlikely we would have a pop culture writer at the launch of the site. I ended our discussion saying the best way to fix this is by focusing on great sports content that will win us internal victories between now and launch. I’m sure you will argue that the intention of the email was totally innocent and not meant to contradict the conversation we had just had on Friday. At this point, I’m unconcerned about intention. The email created the impression with me that you did not comprehend my strategy as it relates to the coverage of pop culture or you wanted to file one last objection to my strategy by passive-aggressively arguing (through 2 am email) that it’s essential we cover some music trial. The email was a mistake and further undermines my belief that you can take direction from me.

the passive aggressiveness, the douche chills....my god

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #15504 on: April 27, 2015, 05:58:28 PM »
Over the last several weeks, Deadspin has, in addition to interviewing a number of people close to the site, acquired more than 100 documents extensively outlining the inner workings of The Undefeated as it prepared for its initial launch: emails, transcripts of staff meetings and phone calls, several versions of the lengthy playbook in which Whitlock outlines his vision for the site, breaking up the text with inspirational quotes from such figures such as Martin Luther King Jr., Maya Angelou, and Jason Whitlock; and more.

e:
Quote from: Whitlock's email
What got Amy into trouble is coming to work every day trying to score 30 points and grab 18 rebounds. You need to approach this job like all you have to do is score 6 points, get three assists and hustle back on defense. Great journalists have 2 ears, 2 eyes and 1 mouth. They listen/observe four times as much as they talk. It’s not an accident we have 1 mouth.
this guy is sooo corny
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:09:11 PM by jakefromstatefarm »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15505 on: April 27, 2015, 06:08:26 PM »

Walrus, post if you are ok.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15506 on: April 27, 2015, 06:25:26 PM »
Your email to me and Danielle late Saturday night/early Sunday morning about Robin Thicke is an example of remaining off-message and tone deaf. On Friday, we had just discussed in significant detail that it is unlikely we would have a pop culture writer at the launch of the site. I ended our discussion saying the best way to fix this is by focusing on great sports content that will win us internal victories between now and launch. I’m sure you will argue that the intention of the email was totally innocent and not meant to contradict the conversation we had just had on Friday. At this point, I’m unconcerned about intention. The email created the impression with me that you did not comprehend my strategy as it relates to the coverage of pop culture or you wanted to file one last objection to my strategy by passive-aggressively arguing (through 2 am email) that it’s essential we cover some music trial. The email was a mistake and further undermines my belief that you can take direction from me.

the passive aggressiveness, the douche chills....my god

Bosses like this are fucking scum
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15507 on: April 27, 2015, 06:33:34 PM »
One method Carter used from the get-go was the Ripple, a daily meeting taking its name from what happens after you throw a rock in the water. At these meetings, Carter convened the younger half of the staff to make suggestions on the order of drawing up a list of experts and authorities to consult on subjects the site would be covering and discuss what stories the site would actually cover, if it existed. (In his first week, according to a participant’s notes, these included the then-ongoing controversy over Brian Williams’s dodgy memory, the conflict between Chris Paul and referee Lauren Holtkamp, and Kerry Washington’s skin having been digitally lightened on the cover of InStyle.) These meetings soon detoured in strange directions.

One Ripple, for instance, turned into a colloquy on slang and modern music, according to a transcript of the meeting. Prompted by a draft of a story in which Justin Tinsley had used the word “dropped” in reference to the rapper Drake’s new album, Leon Carter picked up his legal pad and dropped it on the floor.

“So Drake,” he said, “he dropped the album. So I’m going to pick it up and I want you”—addressing Justin—“to discuss the album.”

“I mean, he released the album!” said Carter. “But of course, you want to be hip, it has to be ‘dropped.’ He ‘dropped’ it.”

“Released is fine, too,” said Tinsley.

“No, it’s not!” said Carter. “No, it’s not!” The conversation soon turned to ’90s R&B lothario Keith Sweat before Carter decided to hear some of Drake’s music for himself. “Okay, enough!” he said, after hearing the words “nicca” and “fuck.”
:stahp

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #15508 on: April 27, 2015, 06:57:58 PM »
Whitlock went on, blaming Ronald Reagan and, of all people, long-dead rapper Eazy-E for having inspired the “Selfie Generation, the most photographed and least reflective generation of young people America has ever produced.”

G-d bless Greg Howard

He is so paranoid that, according to a source close to him, after the publication of my critical story last year, Whitlock was shaken enough that he took to binge-watching 9/11 conspiracy videos. “Truther shit on Netflix,” was how the source characterized it. “That’s what your first article did to him.”
yooo :ohhh

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15509 on: April 27, 2015, 09:18:50 PM »
Deron williams just hit a huge stupid 3 point shot.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #15510 on: April 27, 2015, 09:41:24 PM »
Thibodeaux coaching this Bulls team is criminal, all their weapons and they can't even run an offensive set

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15511 on: April 27, 2015, 09:41:49 PM »
Nets :leon
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15512 on: April 27, 2015, 10:02:22 PM »
Bucks are tough man.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #15513 on: April 27, 2015, 10:08:05 PM »
lool Butler, guys played great this series

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15514 on: April 27, 2015, 10:16:04 PM »
Do 'em dirty Bucks, take it to seven!
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15515 on: April 27, 2015, 10:31:50 PM »
Gasol has been a beast.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15516 on: April 27, 2015, 10:33:28 PM »
Derrick Rose 5 of 20
Jimmy Butler 5 of 20

:kobeyuck

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15517 on: April 28, 2015, 01:08:00 AM »
Nice set of games tonight. All were close.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:01:34 PM by Stoney Mason »

ToxicAdam

« Reply #15518 on: April 28, 2015, 07:17:06 AM »
Derrick Rose 5 of 20
Jimmy Butler 5 of 20

:kobeyuck

I know Rose makes offense happen by his driving and kicking, but man is he inefficient as hell while doing it.

HiResDes

« Reply #15519 on: April 28, 2015, 11:38:05 AM »
Yo if Brooklyn actually beat the Hawks

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15520 on: April 28, 2015, 01:56:51 PM »
Cavs now saying Love is done for the playoffs.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #15521 on: April 28, 2015, 02:21:11 PM »
Wow. 2015 fucking sucked

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #15522 on: April 28, 2015, 02:21:32 PM »
They're still coming out of the east

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #15523 on: April 28, 2015, 02:24:19 PM »
Smith out 2 games and Love done for the season?  The refs are going to have to put on a Tim Donaghy level performance if they want to get LeBron to the finals.
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15524 on: April 28, 2015, 02:28:33 PM »
Dunno. Chicago isn't looking hot lately. Don't know much about Atlanta so I can't comment; pretty sure I haven't seen them play this season.

But if they do get to the finals I can't imagine them beating the Spurs (or whoever wins the west) without Love.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15525 on: April 28, 2015, 02:28:43 PM »
The problem is going to be the depth. You are going to see a lot more of players like James Jones. Which is not a good thing.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15526 on: April 28, 2015, 02:31:13 PM »
Bill Simmons running defense for olynyk. If this had happened to an important Celtic he would be calling it the worst hate crime of the century.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #15527 on: April 28, 2015, 06:48:23 PM »
Chicago and Atlanta both looked like garbage last night, both series' might get pushed to 7 games which is ridiculous. pending the Cavaliers' response to Love's injury and their suspensions, Washington (lol) is the only team in the East that's clicking right now

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15528 on: April 28, 2015, 07:07:15 PM »
I think its all about matchups. The Bulls seem like a very difficult matchup for the Cavs because of their size and the amount of quality big men they can throw out there their especially with Love gone. If the Bucks could somehow miraculously upset the bulls, the cavs match up much better with them.

benjipwns

« Reply #15529 on: April 29, 2015, 12:01:41 AM »
Kevin Pelton
@kpelton

Matt Bonner is close to an ideal intentional fouler. Helps Spurs offense and they don't mind him picking up fouls. 15m

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15530 on: April 29, 2015, 01:31:22 AM »
Hell of a game. I feel sorry for whichever team loses this series because they are legit possible title contenders.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15531 on: April 29, 2015, 01:43:24 AM »
so unfortunate

HiResDes

« Reply #15532 on: April 29, 2015, 07:54:06 AM »
I'm not much of a LeBron hater, kind of like his game along with Irving,  but I think it would be awesome to see old man Paul take his soul in the playoffs again for one last hurrah.

Stoney Mason

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #15536 on: April 30, 2015, 02:10:04 AM »
Wiggins picks up the Rookie of the Year award.

Billy Donovan likely be named Thunder head coach Thursday or Friday. Unless he backs out again. Apparently with Kevin Ollie backing out he got Durant's approval.

bachikarn

« Reply #15537 on: April 30, 2015, 08:32:13 PM »
damnit Billy. Gonna miss him at UF. Think he will do really well in the NBA. He is a genius from an X's and O's prospective, and there isn't a better time in the NBA to implement his system.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #15538 on: April 30, 2015, 08:34:32 PM »
Bulls doubling up Milwaukee, this looks like a team that could scare a Loveless/JRless Cavs team

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #15539 on: April 30, 2015, 08:48:59 PM »
you gotta love these "Playoff Intensity" mashups that amount to clips of dudes leveling the opposing players because they're down 40