Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519486 times)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Re: The NBA thread (The night the lights went out in LA)
« Reply #15720 on: May 15, 2015, 10:02:53 AM »
Bulls embarrassed at home to end the season.
©ZH

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #15721 on: May 15, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
Bulls are complete frauds, and their offense is a joke. Shit ball movement. Tons of long 2 point shots taken literally inches inside the 3 point line. Rose driving the lane against 3 guys and putting up a finger roll shot from 15 feet out. Contested Jimmy Butler shots for days. It's like if you took TWO Kobes, nerfed them both, and put them in an offense that has no set plays.

Translation. All these L's are making my underwear heavy.

Lebron's better than Kobe bro, always has been. It's time you sit down and ponder how to deal with it.

Playing like a four-time MVP: LeBron averaged 40.8 minutes, 26.2 points, 11.0 rebounds, 8.8 assists, 1.7 blocks and 1.7 steals in the series.

:lawd
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #15722 on: May 15, 2015, 12:43:25 PM »
Honestly if you're Chicago's GM, you have to fire Thibs. His complete failure to set up an NBA offense is inexcusable. Not saying everyone has to be San Antonio, but I've seen high school teams run better sets.

You salty as fuuuccckkkkk breh

YMMV

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #15723 on: May 15, 2015, 12:44:07 PM »
It's hard to tell if the Bulls offensive woes are from the coach or from the talent.  I'd be hesitant to blow it up, but you have to fire that coach. They were down by 13 points for most of that game last night and it felt like they were down by 30 because of how slow the offense is.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #15724 on: May 15, 2015, 12:46:25 PM »
It's hard to tell if the Bulls offensive woes are from the coach or from the talent.  I'd be hesitant to blow it up, but you have to fire that coach.

To be honest if I were the bulls GM I'd do the following:

Trade Taj Gibson for a good second option point guard. To have a healthy alternative to Rose and it's been clear all season Gibson wants out.  (although he may be a free agent)

Start making plans to replace Noah. He's about done.

Other than that, their talent is fine.
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #15725 on: May 15, 2015, 01:19:57 PM »
yar

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #15726 on: May 15, 2015, 01:57:38 PM »
So what happens to the Bulls now? Do they move on from Rose and rebuild?

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #15727 on: May 15, 2015, 02:03:35 PM »
My Hawks will end this Cavs run.

:iface
YMMV

Re: The NBA thread (Playoff Time!)
« Reply #15728 on: May 15, 2015, 09:35:33 PM »
the motherfucking truth
😈

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #15729 on: May 15, 2015, 09:36:18 PM »
God damn

« Reply #15730 on: May 15, 2015, 09:37:07 PM »
it didn't count :-\
😈

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15731 on: May 15, 2015, 09:37:27 PM »
Damn. What a way to lose it.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15732 on: May 15, 2015, 09:43:41 PM »
wow. I got home from the store, turned on the game and saw that last shot. Sucks it didn't count.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #15733 on: May 15, 2015, 11:13:24 PM »
Guess Simmons is done immediately instead of in September:
There will be no farewell columns, podcasts or television appearances for Bill Simmons on ESPN.

SI has learned that ESPN and Simmons have worked out an agreement that officially ends his tenure as a front-facing employee for ESPN. Simmons sent an email to Grantland staffers this week informing them that he would no longer be working for the site he founded in 2011. Simmons will also no longer do podcasts or appear on television for ESPN.

Also:
ESPN will still own intellectual properties like Grantland and the wildly popular podcast, the B.S. Report. One executive was even heard starting to plan who else might host the B.S. Report.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15734 on: May 15, 2015, 11:42:28 PM »
Well it was cute and all thinking that somebody would beat the Warriors for a little bit but its back to reality and them easily winning the title this year.

benjipwns

« Reply #15735 on: May 15, 2015, 11:50:31 PM »

lol at the crowd

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15736 on: May 16, 2015, 12:42:12 AM »
Phil Jackson @PhilJackson11  ·  30m 30 minutes ago
NBA analysts give me some diagnostics on how 3pt oriented teams are faring this playoffs...seriously, how's it goink?

Phil Jackson @PhilJackson11  ·  16m 16 minutes ago
Why am getting cranky stuff? Seriously, bball, it's about penetration.
Those cranky the Heat/Spurs got it..Heat via s/roll, Spurs all ways.

Old people and twitter.  :goty2

Steph made more three's than the entire Memphis roster during the series.

Steph Curry - 26............Memphis Team - 25

1. Rockets
2. Warriors
3. Clippers
4. Cavs
5. Hawks

The list of the top five teams in 3 pointers made.

How's it goink indeed.

benjipwns

« Reply #15737 on: May 16, 2015, 01:08:44 AM »
At least Phil offered up an alternative theory (and one that didn't involve the triangle) instead of Byron Scott's strange one from the start of the season. Especially when his role (and Cooper's) on the Lakers was partly as a three corner threat. He was 6th in the league in attempts on the repeat team. Four times was top ten in % including leading the league. Took over 2000 threes despite playing mostly in the 1980s. :lol

http://sports.espn.go.com/blog/houston-rockets/post/_/id/795/mchales-three-big-decisions-fueled-rockets-stunning-comeback

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15738 on: May 16, 2015, 01:30:45 AM »
At least Phil offered up an alternative theory (and one that didn't involve the triangle) instead of Byron Scott's strange one from the start of the season. Especially when his role (and Cooper's) on the Lakers was partly as a three corner threat. He was 6th in the league in attempts on the repeat team. Four times was top ten in % including leading the league. Took over 2000 threes despite playing mostly in the 1980s. :lol

http://sports.espn.go.com/blog/houston-rockets/post/_/id/795/mchales-three-big-decisions-fueled-rockets-stunning-comeback

What's frustrating about people like Phil or Scott is that while people give them respect and understand they have deep insight into the game they played and coached, they don't give the same level of respect to other people. Their argument is a big straw man. Like anybody who is pro analytics is just saying yeah, every dumb ass shot you take should be a three. And no other shot is worthwhile. Yes driving and kicking is part of it. Yes all kinds of traditional basketball strategies matter.

More than anything sports is about copying what is working. And what is working right now is pace and space. The way to change that if there is a viable way to change it, is to play some other style and have success with it. In other words win like the grizzlies to prove your point instead of turning in awful seasons and then carping at people who who look at your team and say you aren't doing what the most successful teams are currently doing. Because those people are right. Phil was the one who said his team was playoff capable. Worry about your team and get that house in order before you start trolling on twitter.

benjipwns

« Reply #15739 on: May 16, 2015, 01:47:32 AM »
The funny thing is that the three stuff is only one half of the analytics as that shot chart of the Rockets from a few months back showed. It's threes and inside. Drives by players like Harden who get to the line and make them are beloved by analytics.

The main criticism from the stats guys was that teams were relying on too many guys like Ron Mercer and Jalen Rose who could take a step back and be far more useful than dominating the ball and then jacking a 21 footer.

Amusingly as well is that the reason Tex and Phil implemented the Triangle/triple-post originally was that it automatically creates spacing (in one of his books, Phil notes that ideally in his version all players in the triangle are to be around 15 feet apart) and encourages passing with the triangle reforming with different or the same players as the ball moves, and once Jordan bought in it worked even better since he sucked defenses towards him.

I think Riley noted that he realized the "no-positions" thing the Heat were getting hype for "creating" he would run with the Lakers in those Coop-Scott-Worthy-Magic-Green lineups. And the Celtics basically did the same thing with Bird at PF often. So he wasn't too upset by it. (And his first good Heat teams did let fly from three. 1st and 2nd in 1997 and 1998.)

Speaking of Simmons this is from one of my favorite of his old mailbags in 2009:
Q: Why won't you understand shooting percentages? 33 percent from beyond the arc is the equivalent of 50 percent from within. If a guy shot 50 percent from the field, would you be killing him for shooting? Of course not. You obviously realize how stupid that would be. Yet that's what you've been doing -- FOR YEARS -- with your mind-boggling argument against 3-point shooting unless the guy can hit 75 percent of his 3s. Just think about it for a couple of seconds. Please ... we are begging you.
-- Nick, New York

SG: Dozens of readers e-mailed me Nick's same stupid argument in a similarly condescending way, which is what makes the following so much fun: I'm not stupid, YOU'RE STUPID. That 33/50 logic only makes sense in a professional basketball league in which they aren't calling fouls and you aren't allowed to pass to a teammate ... which, as far as I can tell, doesn't currently exist.

Let's say that one player attempts 12 3-pointers and makes four (for 12 points). His teammate attempts 12 2-pointers and makes six, but during that time -- because he's not standing 25 feet away jacking up 3s like an idiot -- he also draws three fouls on his defender, creates two assists for teammates, makes three of four free throws, turns the ball over once, and misses one layup that gets tapped in by a teammate (we'll call it 19 points). You're telling me those two scenarios are equal? If I'm playing LeBron (a 31 percent 3-point shooter), ideally, I want him jacking up contested 3s because that means (A) he's not getting to the line, (B) he's not getting my guys in foul trouble, and (C) he's not potentially creating shots for someone else. I can't defend LeBron when he's going to the basket, especially if he's getting calls. But you know what? If he's happy shooting 3s from 25 feet with a hand in his face, then I'm delighted. This is great. I want him to do that. And if he's doing something that the other team WANTS him to do, then he's doing the wrong thing. I'm fine with shooting 24-footers over 20-footers, but getting into the paint will always be more valuable than jacking up 3s. It's just a fact.

(Note to Nick and everyone else who mailed me the 33/50 argument: I'm doing the Dikembe finger wave at you. Don't come into my house.)

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread (how's it goink?)
« Reply #15740 on: May 17, 2015, 04:12:22 PM »
Rockets are looking good at the moment.  :(

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #15741 on: May 17, 2015, 04:13:19 PM »
I'm not sure the Rockets win one game against GS (as long as GS, you know, shows up and is awake for game time) which is really a shame, because a Rockets-Cavs finals would probably cause Walrus to murder himself
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15742 on: May 17, 2015, 05:01:56 PM »
Clippers gaining ground
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15743 on: May 17, 2015, 05:26:07 PM »
Clippers falling apart.

Himu

« Reply #15744 on: May 17, 2015, 06:03:41 PM »
Hoping for a Rockets and Cavs Final. Not because I give a shit (I do, but the Rockets have not made it this far in twenty years, so even if they don't make it to Finals, I'm good) but because it will make Lakers fans self destruct and commit mass ritualized self harm. Now, I'm not condoning self harm (I totally am) but Lakers fans make me reach a point I never thought I'd ever reach. The amount of teams every Lakers fan on my Facebook - and including Shinobi on this forum - who hold grudges against the entire NBA makes me chuckle. I hope the result of this game makes you cry, Lakers fans.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #15745 on: May 17, 2015, 06:12:13 PM »
Since when do you stan ATL
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #15746 on: May 17, 2015, 06:16:55 PM »
I caught your post before that edit

You think you can make me cause self harm? Bring it. :umad
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15747 on: May 17, 2015, 06:19:01 PM »
Cavs Houston would literally kill Walrus. I hope we don't see that yall  :lol

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #15748 on: May 17, 2015, 06:20:00 PM »
I hope we do, just so he shuts the fuck up. His posts are boring and predictable, and could be generated by a bot at this point.
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15749 on: May 17, 2015, 06:50:12 PM »
I couldn't take the fuckball that Cavs/Rockets would yield.  Hoping for Cavs Warriors
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15750 on: May 17, 2015, 08:21:17 PM »
Cavs Rockets would be a lot of fucking around and iso ball. Would be a little hard to watch.

Hawks/warriors would be the most fun basketball series to watch.

My brain says Cavs/Warriors and then the Warriors in a dusting.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #15751 on: May 17, 2015, 08:56:11 PM »
Cavs Houston would literally kill Walrus. I hope we don't see that yall  :lol
n

Pretty comfortable that GSW will whoop Houston, but imagining glens breakdown would be a serviceable alternative in this scenario.
◕‿◕

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15752 on: May 17, 2015, 09:34:44 PM »
I think Cavs take Warriors to at least 6
püp

benjipwns

« Reply #15753 on: May 18, 2015, 08:04:18 AM »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15754 on: May 18, 2015, 10:00:27 AM »
"not clutch"
püp

benjipwns

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Re: The NBA thread (Conference Finals)
« Reply #15756 on: May 18, 2015, 04:16:19 PM »
So Kobe's only go-ahead shot in 14 years was the 3 pointer in Game 2 against Detroit in 04? Weird, I thought he had more than that.

You and Skip Bayless both... what good company to keep, on any issue.
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15757 on: May 18, 2015, 05:17:06 PM »
and in Walrus' defense, Kobe has had a ton of clutch shots that weren't in the last five seconds.  If we saw stats regarding his 4th quarter performances as a whole...or maybe just the last five minutes, I bet it'd be a different story.
püp

Stoney Mason

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15760 on: May 19, 2015, 05:18:11 PM »
Damn.  I'd go if I didn't have to work on Thursday
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15761 on: May 19, 2015, 08:10:06 PM »
Forgot about the lottery

Beezy

« Reply #15762 on: May 19, 2015, 08:33:16 PM »
I'm ready for the Knicks to break my heart again.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #15763 on: May 19, 2015, 08:50:46 PM »
 :stahp :stahp :stahp
AMC

Beezy

« Reply #15764 on: May 19, 2015, 08:51:37 PM »
 :tocry

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15765 on: May 19, 2015, 10:59:18 PM »
It's so hard to watch these Warriors and not think everything is just a foregone conclusion. They are just so freaking good. I think the Rockets are playing about as well as they can. And the warriors still feel like they are in complete control.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15766 on: May 19, 2015, 11:15:09 PM »
Harden balling at the moment.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15767 on: May 19, 2015, 11:47:02 PM »
Rockets played well. Still didn't have a chance. If the Warriors actually stay focused it could be a sweep.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #15768 on: May 20, 2015, 04:18:07 AM »
I'm ready for the Knicks to break my heart again.

itm

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #15769 on: May 20, 2015, 07:25:36 AM »
So many choices for the T Wolves

Do you just go Okafor and Have an Okafor, Wiggins, Rubio future?

Do you go Russell and let Rubio walk?

Do they get towns, let Rubio walk, and try to get Rondo to come up there?

Good lord man this team is gonna be a beast in a few years.
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #15770 on: May 20, 2015, 10:44:39 AM »
Take Okafor, let Rubio walk, try to sign Westbrook

idk maybe
püp

benjipwns

« Reply #15771 on: May 20, 2015, 10:51:19 AM »
Not to support Bleacher Report but this is from something called "Ranking the Best NBA Free Agency Signings in Minnesota Timberwolves History"
1. Joe Smith
2. Troy Hudson
3. Trenton Hassell
4. Fred Hoiberg
5. Terry Porter

Westbrook and Rondo are uh...a slightly different tier of free agent.

Beezy

« Reply #15772 on: May 20, 2015, 12:03:25 PM »
He meant PG D'Angelo Russell who is a top 5 pick in this draft, not Russell Westbrook.

Honestly, why would anyone want Rondo anymore?

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #15773 on: May 20, 2015, 02:38:33 PM »
Cavs in 6

Warriors in 5

----------

Warriors over Cavs in 6

:snoop
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #15774 on: May 20, 2015, 02:39:09 PM »
He meant PG D'Angelo Russell who is a top 5 pick in this draft, not Russell Westbrook.

Honestly, why would anyone want Rondo anymore?

Rondos antics in the playoffs these year are going to end up costing him millions of dollars.
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15775 on: May 20, 2015, 02:50:33 PM »
Knicks aren't in a bad position. Assuming Okafor and Towns go first they'd be able to get Russell or Mudiay.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #15776 on: May 20, 2015, 03:06:05 PM »
Knicks aren't in a bad position. Assuming Okafor and Towns go first they'd be able to get Russell or Mudiay.

I like Russell and think he has potential to be the next big thing at PG. This pretty much ensures the knicks will take Mudiay.
YMMV

Beezy

« Reply #15777 on: May 20, 2015, 04:13:33 PM »

I like Russell and think he has potential to be the next big thing at PG. This pretty much ensures the knicks will take Mudiay.
76ers traded away MCW and don't have a healthy standout PG. They'll most likely take Russell.

I hope Knicks keep the pick. Our roster is complete shit right now.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 05:32:19 PM by Beezy »

Beezy

« Reply #15778 on: May 20, 2015, 05:08:46 PM »
The fact that we're carrying the weight of basketball's long term integrity doesn't help.
:rofl

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #15779 on: May 20, 2015, 05:13:26 PM »
The NBA has to be shitting themselves at the prospect of a Warriors-Atlanta final.  Not as bad as Memphis-Atlanta, but I'd be paying off some ref's gambling debts real soon if I were them.
vin