Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519553 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread (Free Agency mania begins!)
« Reply #16500 on: July 01, 2015, 06:50:58 PM »
I want him to go to the Spurs just for how insanely good they will be. Can you imagine a series between them and the warriors.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16501 on: July 01, 2015, 07:06:29 PM »
Mike Bresnahan ✔@Mike_Bresnahan
LaMarcus Aldridge will not be joining the Lakers, The Times has learned. They were a 50-50 choice but he disliked bball part of presentation

Aldridge was floored in a good way by Houston's analytics, on-court projections in their presentation. Not so with the Lakers.

More LMA: He and Kobe didn't quite gel. It's a little vague, but Aldridge apparently didn't quite get answers from Kobe he was seeking.

Kobe spoke for about three minutes in the presentation, said he envisioned LaMarcus Aldridge working with him the same way Pau Gasol did.

Shit is just too funny.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16502 on: July 01, 2015, 07:11:05 PM »
Fucking Kobe lol

I would like to see LMA go to Phoenix now that Chandler is here
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16503 on: July 01, 2015, 07:20:39 PM »
[Woike] #Clippers have agreed to a deal with Paul Pierce, per NBA sourceBeat Writer
Pierce's three-year deal with Clippers will earn him nearly $10M, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16504 on: July 01, 2015, 07:31:35 PM »
3 years  ???

What a shelf life on him
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16505 on: July 01, 2015, 07:44:17 PM »
Source: Iman Shumpert has agreed to a four-year, $40 million deal with the Cavs. Last year is a player option.

My god the money being spent. Iman Shumpert. 10 million dollar player.

Dave McMenamin
@mcten

This looks like a misprint when you read it today: Stephen Curry signed a 4-year, $44 million extension with Golden State in 2012. 3m
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:19:29 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16506 on: July 01, 2015, 10:04:48 PM »
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-overwhelming-sound-and-fury-of-day-1-of-nba-free-agency/

You know lowe was in a 24 hour state of euphoria with all this shit going on.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #16507 on: July 01, 2015, 10:17:18 PM »
Jeanie has been in sports FO since she was 18. Saying she's on the same level as Jim "the horse whisperer" Buss isn't even trolling it's so inaccurate.

Fuck Dr. Buss for loving Jim Buss irrationally.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16508 on: July 02, 2015, 01:23:22 AM »
Final post of the crazy day

The Warriors have agreed to terms on a five-year, $85 million deal with free agent forward Draymond Green.

The Sacramento Kings have entered the race for Portland Trail Blazers free-agent swingman Wesley Matthews, according to league sources, and have agreed to a trade with the Philadelphia 76ers in an effort to clear salary-cap space.

The Kings, sources say, are now pursuing at least three top free agents: Monta Ellis, Rajon Rondo and Matthews, the latter of whom they have secured a face-to-face sitdown with on Thursday.

While Sacramento probably doesn't have enough cap space to sign two of them, it is getting closer after striking a deal with Philadelphia that calls for the 76ers to absorb the contracts of Carl Landry and Jason Thompson -- along with Sacramento's 2014 first-round pick Nik Stauskas -- to help the Kings take their cap space this summer past the $15 million threshold.

Grantland‎.com's Zach Lowe reported Wednesday night that, to complete the trade, Philadelphia will also receive a protected future first-round pick from the Kings while agreeing to swap picks with Sacramento in the first round of two other future drafts. It's believed that Philadelphia will also send the rights to at least one player it has already drafted ‎to Sacramento as part of the transaction.

Omer Asik to sign 5-year, $60 million deal with Pelicans

Brad TurnerVerified account
‏@BA_Turner
Lakers were "somewhat underwhelming" in presentation with DeAndre Jordan, sources. DJ felt Lakers had been on "whirlwind" last 24 hours.

bluemax

« Reply #16509 on: July 02, 2015, 02:45:21 AM »
Dang the Lakers can't even get DumbAndre Jordan to buy their shit. They really are the West Coast Knicks.
NO

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #16510 on: July 02, 2015, 06:58:23 AM »
He should just re-sign with Portland tbh.

LOL, them feels when you put on your A game and that bitch is still like nah......:ufup
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16511 on: July 02, 2015, 06:59:56 AM »
LaMarcus Aldridge will not be joining the Lakers, The Times has learned. They were a 50-50 choice but he disliked bball part of presentation

Aldridge was floored in a good way by Houston's analytics, on-court projections in their presentation. Not so with the Lakers.

More LMA: He and Kobe didn't quite gel. It's a little vague, but Aldridge apparently didn't quite get answers from Kobe he was seeking.

Kobe spoke for about three minutes in the presentation, said he envisioned LaMarcus Aldridge working with him the same way Pau Gasol did.

Shit is just too funny.

Good fucking lord will somebody please remind Kobe his game hasn't mattered since Obama has been in office. He's KILLING that team.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16512 on: July 02, 2015, 12:32:35 PM »
Monroe signed with Bucks so it looks like Knicks will go after Lopez. The problem for the knicks is that just failing and tanking next year isn't a good option for them because they don't have their first round pick. Gave it up for Bargnani.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16513 on: July 02, 2015, 01:21:56 PM »
ESPN sources say Monta Ellis and Indiana Pacers have agreed on a four-year, $44 million with an option to return to free agency after Year 3

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16514 on: July 02, 2015, 01:31:30 PM »
For what its worth, the Lakers and knicks only truly have a few big name targets left.

LeBron James — Staying Cleveland

Marc Gasol —  Staying in Memphis

LaMarcus Aldridge —  Looks like Spurs or Suns

DeAndre Jordan —  Looks like back to the Clippers or Mavs.

Dwyane Wade — I have no idea what is happening here. I assume he stays with Heat.

Robin Lopez —  Knicks maybe

Wesley Matthews — Conflicting reports.

Tobias Harris — Restriced Free-Agent so the magic can match. And is Tobias Harris a sexy player to get a fanbase jazzed about?

Lou Williams: Haven't heard anything. Good player but same situation as harris. He is like a sixth man.

edit: Forgot Rondo: Who knows where he is going.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 02:00:02 PM by Stoney Mason »

Beezy

« Reply #16515 on: July 02, 2015, 01:44:48 PM »
The rejection sucks, but Monroe would've ate up the rest of what the Knicks have to spend.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16516 on: July 02, 2015, 01:59:23 PM »
Monta in Indy is a good pickup.  Healthy Paul George, George Hill played good ball last season, now Monta.  Should be a decent team next season.
püp

Beezy

« Reply #16517 on: July 02, 2015, 02:16:31 PM »
They still need to replace Hibbert though. And West is leaving.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16518 on: July 02, 2015, 02:18:15 PM »
Big market teams getting slaughtered in free agency and the Kings being a clown show.  Times like these when I miss etiolate.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
no I don't
[close]

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #16519 on: July 02, 2015, 02:25:03 PM »
Holy fuck of all the shit opinions Etiolate had his NBA ones were the worst, and he had some truly shitty opinions of just about everything else.
vin

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #16520 on: July 02, 2015, 02:34:19 PM »
And yet nobody signed with SacTown :lawd

Right? I didn't fact check this ether  :preach
[close]

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16521 on: July 02, 2015, 02:44:39 PM »
They traded away a draft pick, the guy they got in the last draft (Stauskas) and possibly a couple pick-swaps to the 76ers...  just to salary dump.  They're using the cap space to try to sign Rajon Rondo (who's not good) and Wesley Matthews (who tore his Achilles).

Also Woj ran an item saying Vlade Divac doesn't really understand the salary cap or other NBA transaction rules*.  Also the relationship between their star player and coach has broken down so badly they might have a 4th coach in 7 months.

*Since this is a Woj piece and he mostly uses "reporting" as a way of ghostwriting his source's version of a story, this might not be strictly true.  At the very least it shows there's enough dysfunction in the organization that someone would plant a story about their team president being massively unqualified for the job.
[close]

Beezy

« Reply #16522 on: July 02, 2015, 03:02:18 PM »
Knicks set the template for how not to treat your draft picks and the Kings go and copy it, smh.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #16523 on: July 02, 2015, 03:48:50 PM »
Just think if Dwayne signed with the Lakers, though. Walrus might finally die and none of us would have to suffer through his shitty NBA posts anymore. Do it, Dwayne. Do it for all of us.
yar

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #16524 on: July 02, 2015, 04:09:43 PM »
4 bad knees don't make 2 good ones.
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16525 on: July 02, 2015, 05:00:34 PM »
Knicks are looking towards David Lee via trade apparently.

Beezy

« Reply #16526 on: July 02, 2015, 07:01:35 PM »
I'd prefer Robin Lopez for defensive reasons, but beggars can't be choosers. Lakers are interested in trading for Lee also.

Beezy

« Reply #16527 on: July 02, 2015, 07:05:55 PM »
dbl post
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:14:51 PM by Beezy »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16528 on: July 02, 2015, 07:13:42 PM »
Wade signs a one year, 20mil deal with the Heat

Risky contract for him. I think he should have gotten a 3 year/75mil deal
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16529 on: July 02, 2015, 07:56:24 PM »
If he was willing to settle for a one year deal, as another team, I might have thrown max dollars at him. But then this is probably part of some extended negotiation with the heat that plays into the next deal.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #16530 on: July 02, 2015, 08:34:39 PM »

Gabrielle Union
@gabunion

"Cool as the other side of the pillow..." #HeatNation #AllergicToNo

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16531 on: July 02, 2015, 10:29:14 PM »
Highly coveted free agent LaMarcus Aldridge will take a second meeting with the Los Angeles Lakers and will have dinner with Pat Riley of the Miami Heat, sources told ESPN.com.

Aldridge's meeting with the Lakers will focus on just talking basketball with general manager Mitch Kupchak and coach Byron Scott, sources said.

:neogaf

Now I kinda hope he does go to the Lakers. The whole season would be hilarious.

Beezy

« Reply #16532 on: July 03, 2015, 12:26:44 AM »
ESPN sources say Robin Lopez has chosen Knicks over Lakers and will join NYK as long as DeAndre Jordan, as expected, chooses Clips or Mavs

So Knicks get Afflalo + Lopez for decent prices/market value and have some money left over to work with. I can definitely live with that. :obama

benjipwns

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16534 on: July 03, 2015, 12:54:23 PM »
Pistons
:tocry

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16535 on: July 03, 2015, 07:07:25 PM »
DeAndre Jordan signed a 4-year max deal with the Mavs.
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16536 on: July 03, 2015, 07:19:36 PM »
The Kings finally land a free agent, and it's Rondo for one year and 9-10 million dollars.  Looking forward to that Karl/Rondo/Boogie locker room.

benjipwns

« Reply #16537 on: July 03, 2015, 07:53:49 PM »
The Kings finally land a free agent, and it's Rondo for one year and 9-10 million dollars. 
Hey! They're also signing Marco Belinelli for three years, $19 million!

benjipwns

« Reply #16538 on: July 03, 2015, 07:54:13 PM »
Kevin Arnovitz writes of the Clippers' attempts to re-sign DeAndre Jordan: "[Chris] Paul never called, never texted, never made any attempt to reach out to Jordan at any time during the process. At a certain point, the balance of affection tipped, and there weren’t enough dinners at Katsu-Ya or testimonials to Jordan about how much he’d flourished under Rivers’ development to keep Jordan in Los Angeles."
:ufup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16539 on: July 03, 2015, 08:48:42 PM »
It's definitely a loss but I feel like its a relatively replaceable one.

Maybe I'm just not a big Deandre guy.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16540 on: July 03, 2015, 09:01:53 PM »
A big man who sucks on offense and can't hit FT's

one of the most overrated players in the league, and I LIKE him.  Dude is just there for rebounds/putbacks.

Mavs gonna suck
püp

bluemax

« Reply #16541 on: July 03, 2015, 09:44:41 PM »
A big man who sucks on offense AND thinks he's deserving of being an All-Star and the focus of a team.

His high FG% is a mirage created by playing with two excellent passers in CP3 and Blake, his only points next year will come on offensive boards, playing with all these chuckers.
NO

Beezy

« Reply #16542 on: July 04, 2015, 12:06:37 AM »
Knicks signed Derrick Williams for 2 yrs, $10 mil. Don't care for him, but whatever.

Tobias Harris back in Orlando for 4 yrs, $64 mil.

Beezy

« Reply #16543 on: July 04, 2015, 12:34:14 AM »
Lakers fans just are just desperate now and want them to sign someone. Most of the big names are gone.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16544 on: July 04, 2015, 12:44:54 AM »
Jordan's a good offensive player.  Rolling to the rim, catching/finishing, and getting putbacks might seem like relying on athleticism or on teammates, but they're skills.  Not all bigs can do those things and very few can do them even close to his level.  I know he had CP3 on his team, but you could've said that about Tyson Chandler in New Orleans, and he's maintained a high FG% ever since.  Dallas was able to set up him and Brandan Wright for shots at the rim, so why couldn't they do it with DJ?

If he expects to be the focal point of the offense, especially if it's through the post, that could be a problem, and yeah he's been a bit overrated on defense, even before Doc's DPOY lobbying.  But he's a 26 year old player who does really important things on both ends of the floor, the Clippers did way better with him on the court than off (even when you factor in CP3 and Blake), and he hasn't missed a game in four years.  This is a good signing.

benjipwns

« Reply #16545 on: July 04, 2015, 01:02:04 AM »
During Chandlers run of 2011-15 where he's had comparable FG% (but better TS% because of FT%) he was at 73-80% assisted and 34-43% dunks. His usage was 13% and 15% turnovers. He shot 71% within 3 feet.

Jordan over the same span has discounting one wildly outlier season each been at 66-69% assisted, 51-54% dunks. With 13% usage and 15% turnovers. He's shot 72% within 3 feet.

They've both pulled down the same amount of boards unless DeAndre's 2013-15 rate continues forward which would be huge, while Jordan has swatted more shots. They both have gotten to the line at a rate of .66 to 1 FGA. Though Chandler is dropping from the .8 range towards .45 and Jordan is doing the opposite.

Considering they're getting Jordan at age 26 at less than the coming max (two years sooner than they got Chandler) with less of an injury history and missing three years of his prime playing so well for the Knicks, and it's not like the Mavs are a significantly less pass happy and good spacing team, he should help make a good core to lure some more guys in the next year or two to play with Dirk's last couple years.

(And Brandan Wright has the same kinda numbers all over his offense. So it wasn't just Chandler. And earlier the Mavs used Dampier and Diop of all people in similar lesser versions of the same role.)

The only major concern is if Doc Rivers actually has some kind of big man voodoo and it's why Perkins imploded instantly after leaving the Celtics or if that had some other reasons like his prior injury.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16546 on: July 04, 2015, 12:24:37 PM »
And Aldridge as expected goes to the Spurs.

Beezy

« Reply #16547 on: July 04, 2015, 01:26:08 PM »
Spurs also trying to get David West. Dis gon' be gud.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16548 on: July 04, 2015, 01:34:32 PM »
Apparently Cavs are going after him too. Although the cavs seem to have a longjam of power forwards and centers.

Beezy

« Reply #16549 on: July 04, 2015, 06:06:42 PM »
Lakers got Hibbert. :kobeyuck

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16550 on: July 04, 2015, 06:47:20 PM »
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16551 on: July 04, 2015, 11:43:10 PM »
I feel like with the rising salary cap players will play longer in their careers. I mean if you can make bank and just use whatever skills you still have left at the end, I think people will do it.

or maybe they will just say fuck it, I've earned so much might as well call it.

We'll see in 10 years or so I guess.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: The NBA thread (Free Agency winding down)
« Reply #16552 on: July 05, 2015, 01:41:37 PM »
Maybe your mom will still take cock in her 50s. I'm larger than your dad, so maybe she'll just say fuck it. We'll see in a few days or so I guess.

Wtf

Also I hate what Lebron is doing to the Cavs.  Dude is holding them hostage just so Tristan Thomspon can get the max, it's shameful.
püp

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #16553 on: July 05, 2015, 02:14:22 PM »
I'm not going to say the Lolakers are the Neue Yuck Knix 2.0 until Kobe fucks off and retires, but from now on I am praying every day to the Ruinous Powers that AEG buys the Buss family out of the team. :money

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16554 on: July 05, 2015, 05:31:04 PM »
Maybe your mom will still take cock in her 50s. I'm larger than your dad, so maybe she'll just say fuck it. We'll see in a few days or so I guess.

:crazy
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16555 on: July 06, 2015, 01:31:16 AM »
Reggie Jackson/ 5 years, $80 million

:leon

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16556 on: July 06, 2015, 09:20:50 AM »
:goty

Beezy

« Reply #16557 on: July 06, 2015, 09:35:09 AM »
Cory Joseph got 4 years, $30 million. Smh

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16558 on: July 06, 2015, 10:33:03 AM »
If Reggie Jackson is worth 80 million, Tristan Thompson is too
püp

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16559 on: July 06, 2015, 11:02:25 AM »
If Reggie Jackson is worth 80 million, Tristan Thompson is too

Thompson is going to get more than that. Probably 5/90 is my guess.
YMMV