Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519486 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #16620 on: July 12, 2015, 03:38:05 AM »
Another good set of Kobe highlights:

benjipwns

« Reply #16621 on: July 12, 2015, 03:39:15 AM »
Also, remember when he waived off the Malone pick on Jordan in the All-Star Game, you'd have think he raped someone from some of that response.

And not just from airjudden.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #16622 on: July 12, 2015, 04:29:08 AM »
The Sacramento Kings are closing in on signing former No. 1 overall draft pick Andrea Bargnani, according to league sources.

:lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16623 on: July 12, 2015, 09:03:46 AM »
Someone posted this on a Lakers board. Kobe in summer league 1996:

17 year old absolutely shitting on people.  :uguu

What I wouldn't give to go back and watch it all over again  :tocry

That's pretty awesome, he was like a young Lebron James out there.
dog

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #16624 on: July 13, 2015, 09:05:59 AM »
Anybody watch the summer league? That strife between Cousins and Karl is amazing to watch. They were at the same game this weekend, Karl was sitting all the way across the damn court from Vlade and Cousins. Dead man walking.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16625 on: July 13, 2015, 09:15:20 AM »
Predictions for 1-8 in each conference next season?

East:

1) Cavs
2) Heat
3) Bulls
4) Hawks
5) Bucks
6) Pacers
7) Celtics
8) Wizards

West:

1) Warriors
2) Spurs
3) Rockets
4) Grizzlies
5) Clippers
6) Thunder
7) Jazz
8) Pelicans

1) Cavs
2) Bulls
3) Hawks
4) Bucks
5) Heat
6) Pacers
7) Wizards
8) Celtics

Your west looks about right.

Finals: Spurs over Cavs in 6
YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #16626 on: July 13, 2015, 02:45:09 PM »
The Sacramento Kings are closing in on signing former No. 1 overall draft pick Andrea Bargnani, according to league sources.

The Brooklyn Nets have swooped in to sign former No. 1 overall pick Andrea Bargnani, swiping him away at the 11th hour from the Sacramento Kings.

Sources told ESPN.com the Kings were actually offering more money over the next two seasons than Brooklyn, but Bargnani preferred the fit with the Nets and opted for a two-year veterans minimum deal that includes a player option to return to free agency after the coming season

benjipwns

« Reply #16627 on: July 15, 2015, 09:28:54 PM »
LEBRON WINS ESPY AGAIN
After winning Best Championship Performance for the third time in four years -- despite not winning a championship this season -- LeBron James said: "Second-place got me this. I wasn't expecting this at all."

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16628 on: July 16, 2015, 09:40:04 AM »
WTF? Madison Bumgarner in a winning effort was a hell of a lot more deserving.

Bullshit.
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16629 on: July 16, 2015, 11:30:47 AM »
WTF? Madison Bumgarner in a winning effort was a hell of a lot more deserving.

You should be celebrating this, Lebron winning that award stings much more since he lost the Finals.
püp

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #16633 on: July 16, 2015, 03:51:46 PM »
I honestly didn't realize how big Colin was until a few years ago. I didn't realize he was big enough that people took him seriously. I always thought he was some minor radio personality until he started becoming a part of every sports discussion that reached a certain level.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #16634 on: July 16, 2015, 04:03:45 PM »
I think I dislike Cowherd more than Jason Whitlock, and that's saying something. Dude is a colossal piece of shit who filled the Trump scale of "saying racist shit" long ago.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16635 on: July 16, 2015, 06:07:00 PM »
I was tired of Colin's shtick even back when I was still in college and it's been six years since I graduated.
dog

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #16636 on: July 16, 2015, 06:08:58 PM »
Wake me up when ESPN has Skip Bayless thrown into the sun, then I'll give a shit
yar

bluemax

« Reply #16637 on: July 16, 2015, 11:54:15 PM »
Clippers signed Josh Smith. If they can somehow move Crawford for a decent backup PG then I'll be pretty happy with this off season.
NO

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16638 on: July 17, 2015, 07:05:01 AM »
Clippers signed Josh Smith. If they can somehow move Crawford for a decent backup PG then I'll be pretty happy with this off season.

Pretty sure he's going to the Cavs for Haywood's corpse/contract.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16639 on: July 18, 2015, 09:15:59 AM »
Delly  wants 4 a season for 1 1/2 good games

Dat NBA logic.  :hitler
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16640 on: July 18, 2015, 02:35:05 PM »
I don't honestly think that's an outrageously bad contract or anything relative to the market. The problem is the cavs have to pay so much for the rest of the roster that paying market value for delly means crazy taxes for being over the cap. It's not just a 4 million dollar contract in that sense because every dollar they are going over the cap has bigger tax ramifications.

They don't have any people anymore who they are getting on the cheap. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 02:39:32 PM by Stoney Mason »

benjipwns

« Reply #16641 on: July 19, 2015, 11:16:31 PM »
The Houston Rockets, without surrendering anyone in their playoff rotation, have struck a deal to acquire troubled Denver Nuggets guard Ty Lawson, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Rockets and Nuggets have agreed to a trade that will land Lawson in the ever-competitive Southwest Division for a package of non-guaranteed contracts and a 2016 protected first-round pick.

The Nuggets, sources say, will acquire the non-guaranteed contract of forward Kostas Papanikolaou and the partially guaranteed contract of veteran guard Pablo Prigioni along with Joey Dorsey, Nick Johnson and the future first-round pick.

Sources say Denver will also send a 2017 second-round pick to Houston with Lawson, who is currently in rehab in Los Angeles after his second DUI arrest in 2015.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16642 on: July 20, 2015, 08:38:35 AM »
The Houston Rockets, without surrendering anyone in their playoff rotation, have struck a deal to acquire troubled Denver Nuggets guard Ty Lawson, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Rockets and Nuggets have agreed to a trade that will land Lawson in the ever-competitive Southwest Division for a package of non-guaranteed contracts and a 2016 protected first-round pick.

The Nuggets, sources say, will acquire the non-guaranteed contract of forward Kostas Papanikolaou and the partially guaranteed contract of veteran guard Pablo Prigioni along with Joey Dorsey, Nick Johnson and the future first-round pick.

Sources say Denver will also send a 2017 second-round pick to Houston with Lawson, who is currently in rehab in Los Angeles after his second DUI arrest in 2015.

Wow, huge deal for Houston and exactly what they need. Will be interesting to see if Lawson and The Beard get along.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16643 on: July 21, 2015, 10:00:31 AM »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16644 on: July 21, 2015, 10:28:29 AM »
I like Pippen as much as the next fella but he's punching above his weight here.
YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #16645 on: July 21, 2015, 05:18:33 PM »
Why would Kobe be on that all-time Lakers team instead of Jerry West?

benjipwns

« Reply #16646 on: July 21, 2015, 05:20:16 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Swapping out Baylor for West would be better since there's no way Elgin, Kareem and Shaq could share the post.
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #16647 on: July 21, 2015, 09:24:59 PM »
Cuban screwed again:
The Cleveland Cavaliers are closing in on a deal to sign veteran swingman Richard Jefferson, according to league sources.

Sources said Jefferson, who committed to re-sign with the Dallas Mavericks earlier this month, changed his mind in recent days and is finalizing a one-year veteran minimum deal with the Cavaliers instead.

Decent move:
Veteran center Kendrick Perkins is joining the New Orleans Pelicans, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that Perkins and the Pelicans were finalizing a deal Tuesday night to bring him to New Orleans on a one-year contract for the veterans minimum.

Stoney Mason

Am_I_Anonymous

YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16650 on: July 22, 2015, 12:30:19 PM »
Don't know about the money but creatively, much better situation for him. He doesn't have to pretend he's doing old school journalism anymore so conflicts like the Goodell situation won't occur any more. He gets better contact with higher profile people to do the documentary stuff. And hbo has more prestige than espn which gives it more clout in certain circles

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #16651 on: July 22, 2015, 12:36:53 PM »
Makes sense for HBO. Simmons can become what they (HBO) hoped Joe Buck was trying to do with his talk show. Plus it opens HBO up to the world of podcasting and maybe they can monetize that.

Personally, I was hoping he would be attached to Yahoo sports. I think it would've been a better fit and allowed him a wider audience.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16652 on: July 22, 2015, 12:45:38 PM »
I think the documentary stuff is just as important, if not more important than the sports stuff for him so I think that's why hbo makes more sense than the others. Not to mention, his podcasts were full of hbo show talk for years.

Yahoo did resign Woj recently not that I overly care about that.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16653 on: July 22, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
Too bad he'll still be as much of a hack as ever.

boothisman

Bill Simmons is a fanboy but he's a talented writer, producer, and leader.  Giving him a loose talk show where he controls the content and format is a win for him and for his fans.  He was awful in ESPN programming because of the rigid format.  His long video podcasts were a treat.

I think its great that he's getting not only a show (I hope Stewart joins him), but a whole new platform.  Television, podcasts, articles, documentaries, maybe even some new-age technology ventures.  I could see HBO wanting to throw their hat into the ring for broadcasting rights beyond boxing if they have the infrastructure to do so.  NBC Sports has plenty to steal away.
püp

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16654 on: July 22, 2015, 03:35:34 PM »
Simmons' own stuff isn't fantastic, and I found him really grating in the Page 2 days.  But he used his clout to hire a bunch of young writers and provide them with space, support, and an audience, without pressuring them to conform to his style.  Maybe most of that credit should go to the other Grantland editors, but look at the shitshow with Jason Whitlock.

Between Grantland and 30 For 30, Simmons has been behind two of ESPN's better new initiatives in the last five or six years.  Unless it's a really unambitious "the Sports Guy hangs and bullshits with his old college buddies!" format, I'll definitely give whatever he does on HBO a shot.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16655 on: July 22, 2015, 04:46:09 PM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13301887/nba-leaning-no-playoff-guarantee-division-winners-adam-silver-says

Don't really care and its most likely the right thing to do but why not go the full step and get rid of divisions period. The rivalry aspect of them is 90% gone anyway.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16656 on: July 22, 2015, 04:59:23 PM »
I'm guessing he'll have a weekly show and also do sports docs, which could be very interesting with HBO's resources/freedom.

Personally I find his fanboy shit too grating, and agree that the people/writers he surrounded himself with are more interesting. So I'm in, basically.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16657 on: July 22, 2015, 07:07:48 PM »
NBA Player Association Awards

2015 NBPA Award Winners
Award     Winner
Most Valuable Player   James Harden, SG, Houston Rockets
Best Defender   DeAndre Jordan, C, Los Angeles Clippers
Man of the Year   Ray Allen
Hardest to Guard   Stephen Curry, PG, Golden State Warriors
Clutch Performer   Stephen Curry, PG, Golden State Warriors
Coach You Most Want to Play For   Gregg Popovich, San Antonio Spurs
Game-Changer Honor   Allen Iverson
Oscar Robertson Visionary Award   Chris Paul, PG, Los Angeles Clippers
Best Homecourt Advantage   Oracle Arena (Golden State Warriors)
Player You Secretly Wish Was on Your Team   LeBron James, SF, Cleveland Cavaliers

benjipwns

« Reply #16658 on: July 22, 2015, 11:15:21 PM »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16659 on: July 23, 2015, 08:16:21 AM »
Do 1-16 playoff seeding already. It's tiring seeing Eastern stars getting to pad their legacies against scrubs, even if the better team usually does win out in the end.

Shut the fuck up. Your sports knowledge is on par with your ability to understand nobody wants to hear your fucking guitar. Go fuck yourself.

Actually though;

YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16660 on: July 23, 2015, 11:34:31 AM »

I wouldn't actually want 1-16 seeding unless they expanded the schedule. Too much travel time, which means the players will be more fatigued, which means lower quality of play and higher risk of injuries. If you cut some regular season games to give the playoffs an extra week or two, it might work.

Conference playoffs are fine. I just hope the East doesn't stay this weak (aside from Cleveland) for too much longer. Seems like there are a few teams who aren't too far away from being elite, but are just missing that one guy.

I actually like the top 16 going. But as stated you might as well remove the divisions as they essentially don't matter anymore. I do think you need to keep 8 and 8 as regards to conferences though just for the sake of fans. I mean what? 3 east teams would have made it this year?
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16661 on: July 23, 2015, 11:42:37 AM »
Does anyone want to see a 1 v 16 match in the NBA? That type of seeding works in the NCAA in large part because only one game is played, and while a 16 can't beat a 1, things get a lot more interesting after that. Who wants to see a seven game series with that type of seeding...bleh.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #16662 on: July 23, 2015, 11:45:29 AM »
I'd rather see chronically poor owners dealt with before going to single table.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16663 on: July 23, 2015, 11:47:14 AM »
I'd rather see chronically poor owners dealt with before going to single table.

Problem lies in that if they are paying the bills they aren't going anywhere (I'm looking at you, Dolans) . Failing franchises bleeding money is another matter altogether(Sac/Min/Brooklyn)
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16664 on: July 23, 2015, 03:46:37 PM »
Does anyone want to see a 1 v 16 match in the NBA? That type of seeding works in the NCAA in large part because only one game is played, and while a 16 can't beat a 1, things get a lot more interesting after that. Who wants to see a seven game series with that type of seeding...bleh.

Okay, sure.

But THE following would be good shit;

7v8
6v9
5v10
4v11

These all could actually be teams separated by 4 wins ot less. Would make for some dramatic shit.
YMMV

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16665 on: July 23, 2015, 03:49:28 PM »
I'd like a system where the top seeds get to pick who they play.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16666 on: July 23, 2015, 07:36:14 PM »
Better yet give me a StarCraft proleague-esque system where teams get to pick which division they're in
:lawd

benjipwns

« Reply #16667 on: July 25, 2015, 01:24:54 AM »
FOR JOSH SMITH, $6.9 MILLION ISN'T ENOUGH
Smith will make $1.5M from the Clippers this season, and will also get a reported $5.4M annually through 2020 from Detroit -- but wants more: "At the end of the day I do have a family. So it is going to be a little harder on me this year. But I'm going to push through it and try to do something long term after this year."
:spreewellsyachtbeingrepossessed

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #16668 on: July 25, 2015, 01:34:00 PM »
and will also get a reported $5.4M annually through 2020 from Detroit

:dead :dead :dead

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16669 on: July 25, 2015, 02:08:14 PM »
When everyone was making fun of his shot selection the last couple seasons, I could've sworn there was an article years back about how the coaching staff in Atlanta had talked with him and he was having his best season by dedicating himself to attacking the paint.  After his first year in Detroit it felt like I must have hallucinated it.

But no!  Look at his 2009-10 season.  He takes 7 3PA the entire season, after averaging more than 100 per year, and 23% of his shots are from 16 feet or more, easily the lowest of his career.  He has the best or second-best FG%, TS%, PER and win shares of his career.  It was also the only time in the Mike Woodson era that the Hawks won more than 50 games.

Then the next year he took more long jumpers than he ever had, and never went below those being 40% of his shots.  I wonder if Larry Drew and his staff thought that was the best way to use them or didn't feel they had the rapport that Woodson had or what.  I'm sure there's a minor story there, just need some NBA reporter to ask Smoove "so why do you take those awful shots?"

benjipwns

« Reply #16670 on: July 25, 2015, 02:18:35 PM »

He doesn't want to make his game about when numbers when that's what his critics want to do. Asked if he knew his shooting percentages from those ranges, Smith said he didn't.

"I just play basketball," he said. "I'm a basketball player. People try to throw statistics in there. I'm not one to look at where I am on the court (when I shoot).

"I'm confident in each and every play I make. I don't think about it. I just play and play with confidence."

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Go back to the early autumn of 2009 to get a sense of where things went wrong for Smith. Before the season got underway, Hawks general manager Rick Sund approached Smith and talked with him about changing his game. Stop with the 3s, Sund told him. Focus on defense, focus on rebounding. Attack the rim in the paint.

If he did, Sund told him, he would have a chance at an All-Star spot and Defensive Player of the Year.

Smith did as he was asked. He took 87 3s the year before, but only seven in 2009-10. He worked in the paint and took 55.0 percent of his shots within 3 feet of the rim, easily a career-high for a guy who has taken just 37.5 percent of his shots that close.

Smith averaged 15.7 points on a career-best 50.5 percent shooting. He averaged 8.7 rebounds, 2.1 blocks and 1.6 steals. It was a magnificent overall season, and the Hawks won 53 games, their fifth-best record in the franchise’s 65 years.

But Smith was not chosen for the All-Star game. When the Defensive Player of the Year votes were counted, Smith was second, well behind Dwight Howard. He wasn’t even named first-team All-Defense. It was deflating. The Hawks had gotten Smith to change his approach, but the individual rewards did not follow as expected.

The next year? Smith was back to his old ways, his 3-point attempts ballooning from seven to 154. He was still a good player, but the Hawks were not able to sell him on being an annual Defensive Player of the Year candidate. Smith just wasn’t buying it.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16671 on: July 27, 2015, 12:57:38 AM »
The Cleveland Cavaliers have agreed to trade Mike Miller and Brendan Haywood to the Portland Trail Blazers in a deal aimed to create future options and save luxury-tax money, sources told ESPN.com.

The Blazers will likely cut Haywood and could eventually work a buyout with Miller and will receive two future second-round picks from the Cavs for facilitating the deal with their cap space.

The Cavs will create two trade exceptions with the move, one for $10.5 million, which will be the largest active trade exception in the league, and the other for $2.94 million. The Cavs will also receive cash in the deal, sources said.

benjipwns

« Reply #16672 on: July 30, 2015, 12:43:05 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/13328958/los-angeles-lakers-coach-byron-scott-says-kobe-bryant-play-power-forward

Coach Byron Scott told NBA.com it's possible Bryant could spend time at power forward.

"If we don't get another guard, then Kobe's in that mix," Scott said of a potential switch. "I'm kind of going through those scenarios. But not necessarily as far as who's starting and who doesn't. ... I think [Bryant] will play more 3 than 2. If we can get him at the elbows and at the mid-post, the more effective he'll be.

"I don't think he needs to be using up the whole 94-foot floor. If we can cut that down some, I think that saves his legs as much as possible. But if we can get him where he operates best, which to me is elbows on each area, top of the key, at the pinch post, at the mid-post, then I think he can be real effective for us."
"Kobe can play 1, 2 and 3," Scott told NBA.com. "There's no doubt in my mind. And there's some games, against some teams, where he'll probably play 4. With his tenaciousness, the way he guards people and when his mind is set, if I say, 'Kobe, you've got him,' he takes that as a challenge. You know how he is. He'll compete."

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16674 on: July 30, 2015, 11:57:30 PM »
FOR JOSH SMITH, $6.9 MILLION ISN'T ENOUGH
Smith will make $1.5M from the Clippers this season, and will also get a reported $5.4M annually through 2020 from Detroit -- but wants more: "At the end of the day I do have a family. So it is going to be a little harder on me this year. But I'm going to push through it and try to do something long term after this year."
:spreewellsyachtbeingrepossessed

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/josh-smith-clippers/

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16675 on: August 01, 2015, 02:43:54 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #16676 on: August 10, 2015, 12:27:02 AM »
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/630336941981106176/photo/1
from NBA rookie trading card shoot yesterday

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16677 on: August 10, 2015, 04:46:27 PM »
THOMPSON'S AGENT WARNS CAVS
If restricted free agent forward Tristan Thompson is forced into accepting a one-year contract, this upcoming season will be "his last year with the Cavs," his agent Rich Paul warned. The Cavs and Thompson broke off talks in mid-July with Thompson looking for a deal at or near the max contract, roughly $94M over five years. The Cavs offer is currently for significantly less, sources said.

Looks like Cavs having second thoughts about inking Thompson for a long term deal at that amount of money. Can't say I blame them.

benjipwns

« Reply #16678 on: August 14, 2015, 03:17:35 AM »
17  Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk  COLLEGE: Kansas  HT: 6-6   WT: 195  POS: SG
Mykhailiuk was the youngest player in college basketball last season -- so young that he was ineligible for the 2015 NBA draft. After getting minutes early in the season, Mykhailiuk became stuck at the end of Kansas' bench. He's got a very high basketball IQ, can shoot it with range and can even play a little point. He should come back stronger and more prepared to handle the rigors of college basketball this season. I expect he could have a breakout sophomore season.
Can we bring back David Stern just to announce this guy when he's drafted?

benjipwns

« Reply #16679 on: August 14, 2015, 03:19:56 AM »
Also, Chad Ford's description of Ben Simmons sounds like something I've made in MyPlayer:
Simmons is the prize of the class. While not every scout I spoke to agrees, the overwhelming majority believe he's the one player who could end up becoming a star. In fact, several GMs told me they would've selected Simmons No. 1 in 2015 had he been eligible. Playmaking bigs are in vogue right now, and Simmons, at 6-foot-10, 240 pounds, plays like a point guard. His unique style of play isn't for everyone, but the comparisons of him being a poor man's LeBron James or Magic Johnson aren't far off.