Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519491 times)

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
Re: The NBA thread (Kobe announces retirement at the end of the season)
« Reply #16980 on: November 29, 2015, 08:56:38 PM »
Ben Simmons is really good but he hasn't blown me away yet. Still early in the season though.

He's not even old enough to drink breh. Kid gonna be a star.

You played AAU right?

Imagine trying to spot up a legit 6'10" facilitator with handles. :kobeyuck

Meanwhile in real life I put 19 on the "Stongks" in our little suburb over 30 league today. Dunked once too (not well but damnit it got down) and got a couple of blocks in :rejoice

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:03:14 PM by Am_I_Anonymous »
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #16981 on: November 29, 2015, 09:06:59 PM »
Yea I played AAU. Saw Manny Harris lighting folks up when he was a couple years younger than me.

Simmons should be scary in a couple months.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:13:17 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16982 on: November 29, 2015, 09:07:52 PM »
You know who would shut down Ben Simmons on the daily? Gary Payton. Yup.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16983 on: November 29, 2015, 09:09:33 PM »
Yea I played AAU. Saw Manny Harris lighting folks up when he was a couple years older than me.

Simmons should be scary in a couple months.

I know Mans. If that kid had half a head he would have been, at the very worst,8th man deep in a playoff team.

Dude has stupid eyesight. Ain't it?

Best I ever played against was a dude named John Battle at a party. Dude was sick at like age 39 and wasn't even a renown pro.
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16984 on: November 29, 2015, 09:21:02 PM »
Yea. Michigan sure has a long history of Mr. Basketballs who never made it in the NBA; I bet all states have similar cases obviously given how rare it is to even make it to the NBA. Manny Harris, Marcus Taylor, Robert "The Tractor" Traylor (RIP. I met him at a Steve Fisher basketball camp when I was a kid, dude was really cool), etc.

Phoenix Dark

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #16987 on: November 29, 2015, 11:57:36 PM »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #16988 on: November 30, 2015, 09:43:47 PM »
https://vine.co/v/iWaZqhw7WhY

The Cruel Tutelage of the Wolves' Kevin Garnett

And in 20 years when the NBA becomes the #2 most valuable sport in the world this kid right here.....might be among them top dogs. You heard it hear first
Or in about fifty draft/recruiting columns from ESPN alone for the last two years.

Quote from: Chad Ford, in the last three months
Nov 13 Update: The majority of scouts and GMs I speak with continue to believe Simmons is the player in this class who has the best chance to be transcendent. His size, athleticism and feel for the game are unique. He's going to fill up the box score.

"Ben's really good at just allowing himself to play whatever the game dictates," LSU coach Johnny Jones told reporters after LSU's exhibition win Nov. 6 over Southwest Baptist. "He doesn't force it. If he's got an opportunity to make plays, knock down shots, I think he takes advantage of it. He can get to the rim, play inside or out, and he's done a good job of making passes. His assist line could have been up even higher."

Scouts can't peg what position he plays, no one is exactly sure what sort of season he'll have at LSU, but virtually all of them agree that he has the best chance to become a star.

Nov 3 Update: Simmons sits at No. 1 on our Big Board and is considered the best NBA prospect in the draft by the large majority of GMs and scouts I have spoken to. He is a special talent. Simmons has great size for his position, is a terrific athlete, has an extremely high basketball IQ and can play multiple positions on the floor.

In fact, in ranking Simmons, the hardest part was deciding at which position to put him. Some NBA teams I talked to have him listed at small forward, some at a power forward and one at point guard because of his ballhandling skills. The majority, however, put him at the 3 and believe he'll play the game in much the same way LeBron James does.

"There are a handful of really good players in this draft," one GM told ESPN.com. "But to me he [Simmons] is the only really special, transcendent talent. He's the rare guy that has the physical tools, the basketball skill set and the basketball intelligence to dominate the game. If he ever gets a consistent jumper, he could win MVP awards someday."

Aug 14 Update: Simmons is the prize of the class. While not every scout I spoke to agrees, the overwhelming majority believe he's the one player who could end up becoming a star. In fact, several GMs told me they would've selected Simmons No. 1 in 2015 had he been eligible. Playmaking bigs are in vogue right now, and Simmons, at 6-foot-10, 240 pounds, plays like a point guard. His unique style of play isn't for everyone, but the comparisons of him being a poor man's LeBron James or Magic Johnson aren't far off. His strong play at the Nike Basketball Academy against several NBA veterans and college players only solidified the opinion that, if used properly at LSU, Simmons will be the overwhelming favorite to go No. 1.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:40:23 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #16989 on: November 30, 2015, 09:46:08 PM »
Stanley Johnson having another good game. Out of his slump.

Rockets finally playing Capela and Howard together is smart though, especially if Jones is going to stink this year. Capela can get nuts.

benjipwns

« Reply #16990 on: December 01, 2015, 12:20:06 AM »
Hoopshype spotted Michael Sweetney in Uruguay:

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16991 on: December 01, 2015, 07:00:27 AM »
On that Shawn Kemp diet plan I see....
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16992 on: December 01, 2015, 07:10:17 PM »
Battle of the Titans.

Philly versus the Lakers tonight!

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16993 on: December 01, 2015, 07:11:35 PM »
Battle of the Titans.

Philly versus the Lakers tonight!

Does Nerlens Noel score more points than Kobe missed buckets?

Now that's a bet.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #16994 on: December 01, 2015, 09:12:58 PM »
Lakers down 14 in the 4th quarter.

:doge

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16995 on: December 01, 2015, 09:32:34 PM »
Philly wins first game of the year against the Lakers.

That was a hard game to watch.

Kobe 7 of 26.

He took 17 three pointers.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16996 on: December 02, 2015, 01:29:47 PM »

Dirk Nowitzki ‏@swish41  1h1 hour ago
Dirk Nowitzki Retweeted NBA
@CJMcCollum did the old man dirty last night. At least my skating lessons this summer paid off....

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #16997 on: December 02, 2015, 02:08:29 PM »
He had 28/7/6 on 24 shots last night including a game tying tip in with 6 seconds to go

17/7 at a 51/46/90 clip is phenomenal for a 37 year old

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16998 on: December 02, 2015, 04:14:22 PM »

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #16999 on: December 02, 2015, 04:44:12 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #17000 on: December 02, 2015, 07:23:25 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14266781/golden-state-warriors-interim-head-coach-luke-walton-eligible-awards-not-credited-wins
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Luke Walton has more NBA Coach of the Month awards than official wins.

The Golden State Warriors interim coach was named the top coach in the Western Conference for October and November on Tuesday after leading the team to a record 19-0 start in place of the injured Steve Kerr.

While the NBA issued a statement earlier in the day reiterating that Kerr remains the head coach of record for Golden State, the league said Walton was eligible for the monthly award.

Kerr has been sidelined since training camp because of complications from offseason back surgery.

Walton expresses no angst over being winless, saying of Kerr, "Steve's done a lot for me. It's the least I can do to add a couple wins on his total for him with all he's done for me."

"I knew Luke would be a great coach when I hired him, but there is a huge jump from being a one-year assistant to being a head coach," Kerr said Tuesday. "I went through the same jump without even being an assistant. This stuff always comes down to talent. Do you have the talent? We have great talent. That's why we were the champs last year and why we're off to a great start this season."

There is no timeline for Kerr's return, but the defending champion Warriors have hardly missed a beat under Walton.

"I think it's ridiculous," Kerr told ESPN.com last week when asked about getting all of Walton's wins. "I'm sitting in the locker room and watching the games on TV, and I'm not even traveling to most of the road games. Luke's doing all the work with the rest of the staff. Luke is [19-0] right now. I'm not. So it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, to be honest with you. I don't even understand it."

benjipwns

« Reply #17001 on: December 02, 2015, 09:02:18 PM »
welp, so much for the Hornets attempt at stopping the streak, Curry went 10/11 for 28 points in the third

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #17002 on: December 02, 2015, 10:09:10 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17003 on: December 02, 2015, 11:37:26 PM »

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #17004 on: December 02, 2015, 11:46:07 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17005 on: December 02, 2015, 11:49:38 PM »
It's amazing how a ray of light can turn around the hopes of a franchise so quickly. People just want anything to believe in. Sort of makes what Philly has been doing look down right stupid.

benjipwns

« Reply #17006 on: December 03, 2015, 12:14:22 AM »
Reminds me of old Tom Chambers.
I always wondered why tall white hopes never got this comparison instead of Bird. Early Van Horn was pretty athletic and took guys off the dribble for dunks to use one example.

He settled into his outside role more after injuries and playing with Marbury/Kidd.

EDIT: Thirty seconds into this:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 12:18:34 AM by benjipwns »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17007 on: December 03, 2015, 12:21:25 AM »
Even young larry bird was "athletic" in the sense of having great body control and skills. I mean I'm not going to pretend he was jordan but this image of Bird and in general white guys as unathletic slugs is sometimes overdone to play up the smarts stereotype angle. As injuries piled up, yeah Bird turned into that kind of less athletic player but athletic should have a wider definition imo than vertical leap.   

benjipwns

« Reply #17008 on: December 03, 2015, 12:25:58 AM »
I mean in terms of comparison to Tom Chambers who had all the "athletic" stuff people think of...high jumping, lots of dunks, good speed for position, etc.

Bird was a master at controlling his energy expenditure. LeBron, Duncan, and peak-2003ish-McGrady are recent players who have had that Bird-like mode where they're impacting the game heavily, while not really exerting themselves too much in terms of flying all over the court, making unnecessary movements, etc.

benjipwns

« Reply #17009 on: December 03, 2015, 12:28:55 AM »
These are my favorite Bird videos on YouTube:

From related:

LeBron kinda has a blend of both Magic's over-passing for flair and Bird's flair passing because it's the best pass available.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17010 on: December 03, 2015, 12:31:39 AM »
I mean in terms of comparison to Tom Chambers who had all the "athletic" stuff people think of...high jumping, lots of dunks, good speed for position, etc.

Bird was a master at controlling his energy expenditure. LeBron, Duncan, and peak-2003ish-McGrady are recent players who have had that Bird-like mode where they're impacting the game heavily, while not really exerting themselves too much in terms of flying all over the court, making unnecessary movements, etc.

Oh I know what you mean. Rex Chapman was a white guy who was traditionally athletic. He could fly and dunk and make acrobatic moves. Where as Adam Morrison would be the posterboy for an unathletic white guy. Somebody who isn't quick enough to put the ball on the floor and make moves to the basket at the NBA level and has to strictly rely on his outside shot to drive his offense.

I was more going on a side tangent that someone like Bird wasn't Adam Morrison. He wasn't Rex Chapman either, but there is a wide gulf in between that. But white guys only tend to get lumped on the extreme ends of the spectrum.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #17011 on: December 03, 2015, 12:34:02 AM »

I always wondered why tall white hopes never got this comparison instead of Bird. Early Van Horn was pretty athletic and took guys off the dribble for dunks to use one example.

I don't think many people saw Chambers play a lot. He was always on west coast teams in an era when NBA basketball wasn't televised as much as it was now. It wasn't until he was with Phoenix that he became more of a household name. But that was also at a time when the NBA was loaded with other stars (88-93'ish).

I only learned about him because of how awesome he was in EA Basketball games on the Genesis.

benjipwns

« Reply #17012 on: December 03, 2015, 12:55:44 AM »
He had hax on in EA's games. Not even Jordan could dunk at will on defenders from outside the paint constantly.

Rex Chapman is a funny player, he wasn't really a good player, and teams constantly were dumping him as a no-defense cancer until later in his career when he became more of a clear three point bomber after Pat Riley rebuilt him.

I was amused during the draft cycle when Kevin Love kept being called unathletic, when IIRC, he had some of the better numbers at the combine, especially for a big.

The NBA, the one place whites are actually discriminated against in some manner.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #17013 on: December 03, 2015, 10:03:37 AM »
the warriors are unbelievable
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17014 on: December 03, 2015, 04:27:38 PM »

benjipwns

Am_I_Anonymous

YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #17017 on: December 04, 2015, 09:56:34 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17018 on: December 04, 2015, 10:02:34 AM »
The Magic are playing really well as of late.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17019 on: December 04, 2015, 10:16:48 AM »
Nobody fucking cares. This thread is now about what a good human being Pop is.
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #17020 on: December 04, 2015, 10:48:03 AM »
what you shut the fuck up already dude
püp

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17021 on: December 04, 2015, 10:49:48 AM »
what you shut the fuck up already dude

Shut your vagina.

:neogaf

Anyway, Curry got trolled lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/-38yCdvM1L/

« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 11:28:43 AM by Am_I_Anonymous »
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17022 on: December 05, 2015, 12:16:41 AM »
Lebron scored 23 in the 4th but Pelicans hit a big 3 to send it to overtime.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 12:23:30 AM by Stoney Mason »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #17023 on: December 05, 2015, 12:38:37 AM »
Entertaining game. You can tell the Cavs are gonna be dangerous once Irving and Shumpert come back.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17024 on: December 05, 2015, 12:43:22 AM »
Cavs fall apart in ot.

Love useless again.

benjipwns

« Reply #17025 on: December 05, 2015, 04:40:30 PM »
Today, Pau Gasol plays his 1000th game and told his followers to tweet him their favorite highlight of his career. Dirk decided to chime in..
https://twitter.com/swish41/status/673218276764155904

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #17026 on: December 05, 2015, 06:12:12 PM »
Nice start to Warriors - Raptors. Steph and Klay :whew
地平線

ToxicAdam

« Reply #17027 on: December 05, 2015, 07:33:31 PM »
Lebron sitting against the Heat (for rest). Boo.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17028 on: December 05, 2015, 09:19:26 PM »
Lebron sitting against the Heat (for rest). Boo.

Kevin Love. 2 points. 1-5 at Half-Time.

WTF happened to this dude. Why is he so utterly one dimensional now on this Cavs roster.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17029 on: December 06, 2015, 12:46:36 AM »
And he finishes with 5 points on 2 of 11 shooting.

:trash

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17030 on: December 06, 2015, 10:24:17 PM »
Last post on Kobe's stats this season I swear.

Kobe's Usage rate is now 12th in the nba.

He is shooting 30%

The lowest player who qualified in the NBA last year under field goal attempts shot was Trey Burke who shot 37%

He is shooting 22% from beyond the arc. The lowest player who qualified in the NBA last year under three point percentage was Corey Brewer who shot 28%

He is also taking the most three's per game of his career at 7.9 a game. His previous high was in the 05-06 season at 6.5.

I mean we are witnessing a season that is historically bad even by the standards of great players who are shot at the end of a long career.

And the thing is it doesn't really surprise anybody. I mean Kobe's career was always destined to end this way.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17031 on: December 07, 2015, 01:29:34 AM »

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #17032 on: December 07, 2015, 12:41:35 PM »
What an awful season to be a phoenix sun

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17033 on: December 07, 2015, 05:10:34 PM »
Originally Posted by @twithersAP

LeBron James has signed lifetime contract with Nike, largest deal in company's history. Financial terms not disclosed. #Cavs

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #17034 on: December 07, 2015, 05:15:13 PM »
Holy shit
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17035 on: December 07, 2015, 11:54:19 PM »
NBA owners have been lobbying the league's front office since the summer of 2014 to step in with regard to the direction of the Philadelphia 76ers, sources told ESPN.com on Monday night.

It was that effort that helped lead to the hiring of Jerry Colangelo to a senior position earlier in the day, the sources said.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver was instrumental in forming the partnership between Colangelo and 76ers owner Joshua Harris, according to the sources.

Philadelphia's addition of Colangelo was received as positive news in league ownership circles, where he is respected as a former owner of the Phoenix Suns.

The 76ers' struggles on the floor have been readily apparent as they've gone 38-148 over the past two-plus seasons, which includes a 1-21 start this season, while they have undertaken a long-term rebuilding process under general manager Sam Hinkie.

But it was not the bad basketball as much as the hit to the business side that weighed on the rest of the league.

Owners routinely complained about the economic drag the 76ers were inflicting on the league as the revenues of one of the largest-market teams -- a franchise expected to contribute more robustly to league revenue sharing -- sagged.

For many teams, games featuring the starless and woeful 76ers as the visiting team have resulted in their lowest-attended games of the season, sources said.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14317233/nba-owners-lobbied-league-office-philadelphia-76ers-changes

We need a bailout for the 76ers.

:neogaf

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17036 on: December 08, 2015, 12:14:56 AM »

Also

Los Angeles Lakers coach Byron Scott announced a dramatic change to the starting lineup before Monday's game against the Toronto Raptors: He moved forward Julius Randle and guard D'Angelo Russell, the team's prized lottery picks in the past two drafts, to the bench for the first time this season.

Randle was the No. 7 overall draft pick in 2014 and Russell the No. 2 overall pick in 2015. Both are considered cornerstones of the Lakers' future. In their place, the Lakers started guard Louis Williams and rookie forward Larry Nance Jr. in L.A.'s 102-93 loss in Toronto.

"Look, [Russell and Randle] are young. They still have a long way to go. They've got a lot of work to do," Scott said before the game. "This change wasn't so much based on them not performing up to their capability. It's based on where we are as a team. That's why I made this adjustment tonight.

"We're 3-17, so obviously, it's not working. So I wanted to get some new blood in there, some fresh blood, and see how those guys play.

:jawalrus

What a joke.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:22:17 AM by Stoney Mason »

benjipwns

« Reply #17037 on: December 09, 2015, 06:46:49 AM »

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #17038 on: December 09, 2015, 07:11:45 AM »
地平線

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #17039 on: December 09, 2015, 12:50:48 PM »
Make fun of someone for thinking kobe is an all star while thinking klay is an all star brehs