Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519564 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #17100 on: December 28, 2015, 10:26:38 AM »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #17101 on: December 29, 2015, 01:00:40 AM »

pretty cool. perfect music selection

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #17102 on: December 29, 2015, 11:08:41 AM »
For what its worth I actually like the retirement tour thing. When I was a kid, there seemed to be a lot of backlash when Dr J had his like it was some big disruption, but whatever. It's equals parts entertainment as it is sports.

benjipwns

« Reply #17103 on: December 30, 2015, 03:16:13 AM »
http://uproxx.com/dimemag/markieff-morris-suspension-apology/
For Markieff Morris to reclaim his season from the depths of hell in which it currently resides, he’ll need to change his behavior. Sure, he’s been underperforming in the box score, but it’s his moodiness — culminating in a towel-throwing incident that got him suspended for two games — that has put him in head coach Jeff Hornacek’s dog house. And it’s that attitude that Suns leadership is demanding he change.

Though ‘Kieff has already served the two-game suspension the Suns levied at him, according to Yahoo’s Marc Spears, his return is still predicated on an apology to his coach, GM and team president. He’s expected to do so at a meeting before the team practices on Tuesday, after which he’ll be permitted to rejoin his teammates if he satisfies the higher-ups.

Based on grumblings leaked to Spears, it sure seems like Morris is still unhappy with the situation.

Still, some within Morris’ camp are confused by the team’s requests because Morris already apologized to Hornacek and his teammates on Twitter and sent a separate apologetic text to Hornacek. Morris also has spoken with his teammates regularly during the suspension.

benjipwns

« Reply #17104 on: December 30, 2015, 07:45:01 AM »

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #17105 on: December 30, 2015, 09:28:03 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/30/us/nba-player-shot-new-york/index.html

Damn what is it with the Knicks and getting robbed?
YMMV

« Reply #17106 on: December 30, 2015, 10:33:02 PM »
dubs without curry
😈

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17107 on: December 31, 2015, 01:09:59 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17108 on: January 01, 2016, 07:08:10 PM »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17109 on: January 01, 2016, 09:30:27 PM »
YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #17110 on: January 01, 2016, 09:37:28 PM »
Shot of the stuff available at the scorer's table for players entering the game, apparently there's small snacks there somewhere:

Bonus shot of the computer screen of the scorer's tabulation of FGA's.

benjipwns

« Reply #17111 on: January 03, 2016, 02:45:02 AM »
nasty injury to faried  :kobeyuck

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17112 on: January 04, 2016, 03:15:36 PM »

Larry could get off the ground at one point.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17113 on: January 04, 2016, 04:25:05 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17114 on: January 04, 2016, 04:27:15 PM »
Larry could get off the ground at one point.

We talked about this earlier in the thread. How the legend of Larry being an unathletic slug during his prime was overblown. He became that. But early in his career he was way more athletic than the stereotypes suggest.

benjipwns

« Reply #17115 on: January 04, 2016, 10:34:09 PM »
Elton Brand signed a contract with the Philadelphia 76ers on Monday, with the hope he can be a mentor to rookie Jahlil Okafor.

https://thecauldron.si.com/because-i-m-not-through-with-this-game-yet-that-s-why-c04382612e71

The truth is, my decision to return to the NBA isn’t about money, and it isn’t about rings. It isn’t even about me, really, although every athlete would like to go out on his or her own terms. It’s about repaying what’s owed, about making sure that the young men who follow in my footsteps get what they’re entitled to (and what I haven’t always given them).

It’s not so much that I failed the guys I was tasked with mentoring over the years; it’s that I barely even tried. I never took the time to share the legendary Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s writing with them. I never sincerely answered their questions about what David West was trying to warn them about during NBPA meetings. I didn’t tell them why they should be reading Etan Thomas’ essays.

I was simply too busy following the NBA blueprint that had been engrained in me from the beginning: Play well, keep your head down, offend as few people as possible, and get paid. Now, here in Philadelphia, my adopted hometown, I’m excited to have a chance to do things differently — be a positive influence and help the organization get back on track.

You might’ve noticed we’ve got a pretty talented kid on the roster in Jahlil Okafor, someone I happen to share some things in common with. Despite how he’s been portrayed, I know Jahlil. He’s a good kid with a good heart. He’s not unlike most 20-year-olds you probably know, and he’s definitely not at all different than most of his fellow players. Hell, if camera phones were around when Brad Miller, Ron Artest, and I were Jahlil’s age, we might’ve been banned from the league altogether, never mind suspended for a few games.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17116 on: January 05, 2016, 08:33:30 AM »
How 'bout them Cavs?

Next.
YMMV

HiResDes

« Reply #17117 on: January 06, 2016, 12:16:33 AM »
Elton Brand signed a contract with the Philadelphia 76ers on Monday, with the hope he can be a mentor to rookie Jahlil Okafor.

https://thecauldron.si.com/because-i-m-not-through-with-this-game-yet-that-s-why-c04382612e71

The truth is, my decision to return to the NBA isn’t about money, and it isn’t about rings. It isn’t even about me, really, although every athlete would like to go out on his or her own terms. It’s about repaying what’s owed, about making sure that the young men who follow in my footsteps get what they’re entitled to (and what I haven’t always given them).

It’s not so much that I failed the guys I was tasked with mentoring over the years; it’s that I barely even tried. I never took the time to share the legendary Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s writing with them. I never sincerely answered their questions about what David West was trying to warn them about during NBPA meetings. I didn’t tell them why they should be reading Etan Thomas’ essays.

I was simply too busy following the NBA blueprint that had been engrained in me from the beginning: Play well, keep your head down, offend as few people as possible, and get paid. Now, here in Philadelphia, my adopted hometown, I’m excited to have a chance to do things differently — be a positive influence and help the organization get back on track.

You might’ve noticed we’ve got a pretty talented kid on the roster in Jahlil Okafor, someone I happen to share some things in common with. Despite how he’s been portrayed, I know Jahlil. He’s a good kid with a good heart. He’s not unlike most 20-year-olds you probably know, and he’s definitely not at all different than most of his fellow players. Hell, if camera phones were around when Brad Miller, Ron Artest, and I were Jahlil’s age, we might’ve been banned from the league altogether, never mind suspended for a few games.

Bring in the Dream or bust to work on his footwork, that's what he really needs

HiResDes

« Reply #17118 on: January 06, 2016, 12:19:52 AM »
For what its worth I actually like the retirement tour thing. When I was a kid, there seemed to be a lot of backlash when Dr J had his like it was some big disruption, but whatever. It's equals parts entertainment as it is sports.
No one gave Jeter shit when he did his

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17119 on: January 06, 2016, 01:33:04 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17120 on: January 11, 2016, 01:33:30 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #17121 on: January 11, 2016, 08:00:16 PM »
The Nets reassigned their general manager and fired coach Lionel Hollins on Sunday in the midst of their worst season since moving from New Jersey.

The Nets said assistant Tony Brown will serve as the interim head coach, and the GM position will remain open until a replacement is hired.
I have to think Mark Jackson and Thibs are frontrunners for the coaching slot at minimum.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:31:04 PM by benjipwns »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #17122 on: January 11, 2016, 11:57:03 PM »
I have to think Mark Jackson and Thibs are frontrunners for the coaching slot at minimum.

If those guys feel confident about getting another head coaching job down the line, I can't see them taking the Nets job.  It's just a black hole the next few years.

benjipwns

« Reply #17123 on: January 12, 2016, 12:34:17 AM »
I imagine Thibs is too smart to take that Nets job...but Jackson? Especially in NY?

Am_I_Anonymous

YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #17125 on: January 12, 2016, 06:57:33 PM »
Hrm.  Sample size for Curry is too small I think.  But he's making good progress for an even better rank.

Nash should be in the top 5
püp

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #17126 on: January 13, 2016, 01:43:49 PM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarankPGs/ranking-top-10-point-guards-ever
Top 2 both played with Kareem, Stockton with Malone.  Curry the first without a dominant big man (not saying that diminishes the first three, it's just interesting).
vin

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17127 on: January 13, 2016, 02:16:29 PM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarankPGs/ranking-top-10-point-guards-ever
Top 2 both played with Kareem, Stockton with Malone.  Curry the first without a dominant big man (not saying that diminishes the first three, it's just interesting).

You don't find curry to be a bit overrated on that list?
YMMV

Steve Contra

« Reply #17128 on: January 13, 2016, 02:20:43 PM »
Nah, as long as the context is understoood that Steph is 27 years old against a roster of mostly retired superstars.
vin

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17129 on: January 13, 2016, 02:22:41 PM »
Curry's career is still a work in progress. He is still in his prime and only in his 7th season. But if he continue at this pace and obviously adds more championship appearances, it will be an amazing career indeed.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17130 on: January 13, 2016, 02:23:01 PM »
Nah, as long as the context is understoood that Steph is 27 years old against a roster of mostly retired superstars.

Hmmm, I gave it a thought.

I'd take Magic, Stockton, Gary Payton, and the Big O over him and that's it. So I guess he's in my top 5.
YMMV

Steve Contra

« Reply #17131 on: January 13, 2016, 02:24:29 PM »
Yeah on that list if you rate him much lower you get Curry under Chris Paul and no one thinks that's how it's going to play out in the end.
vin

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17132 on: January 13, 2016, 02:31:05 PM »
Yeah on that list if you rate him much lower you get Curry under Chris Paul and no one thinks that's how it's going to play out in the end.

I guess my question is how did GP not make it?

No respect for defense at all on that list.
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #17133 on: January 13, 2016, 02:48:18 PM »

I guess my question is how did GP not make it?

No respect for defense at all.

fixed that for you.  Its an unfortunate truth that amazing defensive players almost always get the shaft when looking back at the best players.
püp

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #17134 on: January 13, 2016, 03:46:13 PM »
Curry's place basically depends on the semantics of what you mean by "best."

He obviously is nowhere near Stockton's career production, but Stockton never had a year as good as Curry's last season, and Steph is playing much better than that this year.

benjipwns

« Reply #17135 on: January 13, 2016, 04:02:25 PM »
Stockton, Paul, Kidd, Frazier?

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17136 on: January 13, 2016, 05:08:37 PM »
Stockton, Paul, Kidd, Frazier?

None of them were sticking Jordan to the point of getting him shook at times.

Stockton or Payton? Say that to yourself. Yeah.

https://m.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 05:13:49 PM by Am_I_Anonymous »
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #17137 on: January 14, 2016, 03:30:24 PM »
That all-time PG list is being debated nonstop on radio here. Needless to say people are upset about Curry being ahead of Isiah Thomas. But the greatest thing thus far is that it morphed from Curry v Thomas into shitting on Magic Johnson due to the Olympic Team snub of Thomas  :lol

It's impossible to talk about Magic Johnson in Detroit without someone bringing 1992 up.  :doge

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17138 on: January 14, 2016, 04:57:01 PM »
That all-time PG list is being debated nonstop on radio here. Needless to say people are upset about Curry being ahead of Isiah Thomas. But the greatest thing thus far is that it morphed from Curry v Thomas into shitting on Magic Johnson due to the Olympic Team snub of Thomas  :lol

It's impossible to talk about Magic Johnson in Detroit without someone bringing 1992 up.  :doge

Yeah but that was because of MJ and Pippen dude.
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #17139 on: January 14, 2016, 04:59:20 PM »

The argument is that Magic refused to vouch for or defend Thomas when he could have. Magic didn't want him on the team either.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17140 on: January 14, 2016, 05:01:49 PM »

The argument is that Magic refused to vouch for or defend Thomas when he could have. Magic didn't want him on the team either.

Yeah I could see that. Magic always talked out of both sides of his mouth.

And I can see why people would argue Isiah over Curry due to defense too. I'd say they are pretty even at present but if Curry continues to play like this then it's bye Zeke.

Edit: I kicked it with Isiah a few times. He's the nicest psychopath icon I know outside of Steve Smith in football.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17141 on: January 14, 2016, 06:16:40 PM »
Cavs versus Spurs on TNT tonight.

benjipwns

« Reply #17142 on: January 14, 2016, 08:12:51 PM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14561465/windhorst-minnesota-long-cold-basketball-winter
Minnesota started that night five year ago with the No. 2 pick, the No. 20 pick and a $4 million problem. Kahn intended to fire then-coach Kurt Rambis, but he hadn't and let him twist in the wind for months. Rambis was owed about $4 million on his contract and, based on conversations with other executives, it seems that Kahn was under a de facto mandate he had to raise that money to pay off Rambis before firing him. For the record, Kahn strongly denied this was the case. But many competitors who were doing business with him did not believe him.
At this point, Kahn had turned the No. 20 pick into the No. 38 pick and the No. 43 picks and about $2.5 million. But, as was pointed out, he needed $4 million. So when the Rockets called about the No. 38 pick -- which the Rockets had just traded to Minnesota less than two hours earlier -- Kahn sold it right back to them for $1.5 million.
Flynn flunked his physical in Houston for a reason the Wolves did not previously disclose. This caused a dustup because the Wolves proceeded to make four subsequent deals that all threatened to get blown up if the Flynn deal was voided.

To end the mess, the Wolves gave the Rockets another future second-round pick that ended up becoming the rights to Will Barton, who right now is a Most Improved Player candidate for the Denver Nuggets.

Then it turned out Ngombo was five years older than the Wolves thought he was, meaning he was ineligible to be drafted. After considering options for a few days, the league let the pick stand, but the Wolves no longer wanted him as a prospect.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17143 on: January 14, 2016, 10:13:19 PM »
Spurs looking good down the stretch. That defense too good.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17144 on: January 14, 2016, 10:24:56 PM »
Kawhi is a beast. He's really hit that next level of top flight superstar.

Steve Contra

vin

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #17146 on: January 15, 2016, 06:18:22 PM »
I can dig the top 5. outside of being one of the best rebounders ever, Rodman's game is completely unremarkable

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17147 on: January 15, 2016, 08:05:55 PM »
I can dig the top 5. outside of being one of the best rebounders ever, Rodman's game is completely unremarkable

Uh, defense? You didn't watch him much did you?
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17148 on: January 15, 2016, 08:06:46 PM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarankPFs/ranking-greatest-power-forwards-nba-history

I can dig it :larry

Not putting LBJ above Larry just yet. He needs another title.

I know Larry's sample size wasn't as large as we would have liked but dude ran the game back in the day.

Edit: my bad I was just reading the small forwards article.

Man this article pretty much proves the theory that skilled bigs are a dying breed.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:13:09 PM by Am_I_Anonymous »
YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #17149 on: January 16, 2016, 04:21:57 PM »
They undersell Rodman's complete dominance of rebounding during his career:
Code: [Select]
Offensive Rebound Pct
1987-88 NBA 16.9 (2)
1988-89 NBA 17.6 (1)
1989-90 NBA 16.2 (1)
1990-91 NBA 15.0 (3)
1991-92 NBA 18.1 (2)
1992-93 NBA 16.1 (1)
1993-94 NBA 17.9 (1)
1994-95 NBA 20.8 (1)
1995-96 NBA 19.9 (1)
1996-97 NBA 18.9 (1)
1997-98 NBA 16.8 (2)
Career NBA 17.2 (1)
Defensive Rebound Pct
1990-91 NBA 27.8 (3)
1991-92 NBA 34.1 (1)
1992-93 NBA 36.8 (1)
1993-94 NBA 32.8 (1)
1994-95 NBA 37.8 (1)
1995-96 NBA 33.2 (1)
1996-97 NBA 32.2 (1)
1997-98 NBA 31.4 (1)
Career NBA 29.6 (1)
Total Rebound Pct
1987-88 NBA 18.6 (5)
1988-89 NBA 19.8 (3)
1989-90 NBA 19.0 (3)
1990-91 NBA 21.3 (1)
1991-92 NBA 26.2 (1)
1992-93 NBA 26.0 (1)
1993-94 NBA 25.7 (1)
1994-95 NBA 29.7 (1)
1995-96 NBA 26.6 (1)
1996-97 NBA 25.6 (1)
1997-98 NBA 24.1 (1)
Career NBA 23.4 (1)
Rank Player TRB% Season Tm
1. Dennis Rodman* 29.73 1994-95 SAS
2. Reggie Evans 26.67 2012-13 BRK
3. Dennis Rodman* 26.56 1995-96 CHI
4. Dennis Rodman* 26.19 1991-92 DET
5. Dennis Rodman* 25.99 1992-93 DET
6. Dennis Rodman* 25.74 1993-94 SAS
7. Dennis Rodman* 25.61 1996-97 CHI
8. DeAndre Jordan 24.47 2014-15 LAC
9. Dennis Rodman* 24.08 1997-98 CHI
10. Marcus Camby 24.06 2010-11 POR

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17150 on: January 16, 2016, 11:57:25 PM »
Quote from: Woj
The Cavs have started to make calls on the market for Timofey Mozgov, who could appeal to Western Conference contenders.

It's no secret they haven't been happy at all with him this year.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17151 on: January 17, 2016, 01:34:21 AM »

I always had a real soft spot in my heart for that Pistons team. It wasn't pretty basketball but those dudes grinded.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17152 on: January 18, 2016, 12:44:18 PM »
Warriors versus Cavs tonight.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17153 on: January 18, 2016, 08:42:52 PM »
Cavs getting worked by the Warriors so far.

benjipwns

« Reply #17154 on: January 18, 2016, 10:02:43 PM »
Game is not going well for Cleveland at all.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17155 on: January 18, 2016, 10:05:35 PM »
I think we can safely say there is a gap between the Spurs/Warriors and the Cavs. They simply pass the ball better as a team and create better offensive flow than the Cavs despite whatever talent the Cavs have.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:14:59 PM by Stoney Mason »

benjipwns

« Reply #17156 on: January 18, 2016, 10:17:17 PM »
The Cavs as a team have taken only one more three than Curry. And made two fewer.

« Reply #17157 on: January 19, 2016, 12:15:42 AM »
damn i missed that game :(
😈

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #17158 on: January 19, 2016, 12:40:00 AM »
Fuck Joe Dumars.

But anyway...so it's looking like LeBron might not bring a ring to Cleveland huh

benjipwns

« Reply #17159 on: January 19, 2016, 11:18:48 AM »