Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519562 times)

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #17160 on: January 19, 2016, 11:52:20 AM »

But anyway...so it's looking like LeBron might not bring a ring to Cleveland huh

There's still hope. San Antonio could beat Golden State in the WCF.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #17161 on: January 19, 2016, 12:58:17 PM »
 :dead @ lebron sitting in blatt's seat in the 4th, away from his teammates

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #17162 on: January 19, 2016, 01:22:31 PM »
The Cavs feel like another version of those Big three Heat teams and the league for the moment has evolved beyond that model at least at the very very high end. The Heat and the Cavs try to implement some of the pace and space elements of the Spurs/Warriors but its never as crisp as those teams and when things go bad their first instinct is to immediately go back to a lot of isolation play. Which works against 98% percent of the league but not the Warriors and Spurs.

It's been obvious what the problem is for years but it seems like a high level problem that isn't easy to fix since it involves the tendencies of very high level players.

Syph

« Reply #17163 on: January 19, 2016, 05:00:07 PM »
Fuck Joe Dumars.

But anyway...so it's looking like LeBron might not bring a ring to Cleveland huh
It just takes one good (healthy!) series in the finals...but it's definitely not as guaranteed as with Miami
XO

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #17164 on: January 19, 2016, 05:48:25 PM »
Fuck Joe Dumars.

With Stern gone, this is a certainty.

Cleveland probably defeats Golden State last year with Stern.

Repeat after me. Nobody is fixing the fucking finals.
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #17165 on: January 19, 2016, 05:52:19 PM »
What incentive would there be to rig it for Cleveland? Just curious, Walrus.

lol

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #17166 on: January 20, 2016, 12:56:11 PM »

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #17167 on: January 20, 2016, 05:09:48 PM »
EDIT: wtf, wrong thread
地平線

benjipwns

« Reply #17168 on: January 21, 2016, 05:43:23 AM »
 :bow Another dominating record setting performance by Andre! :bow2

Most missed free throws in an NBA game at 23.

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #17169 on: January 21, 2016, 01:15:38 PM »
The Warriors are wrecking shop.
UK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17170 on: January 22, 2016, 02:04:37 PM »
The Houston Rockets have acquired Josh Smith in a trade with the Los Angeles Clippers, the Rockets announced Friday.

The Rockets sent the draft rights to Maarty Leunen to the Clippers for Smith and the draft rights to Serhiy Lishchuk. The Clippers also will send cash to Houston to cover the balance of Smith's salary.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #17171 on: January 22, 2016, 03:54:37 PM »
The Cavs just fired David Blatt according to Woj's twitter.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17172 on: January 22, 2016, 04:08:06 PM »
The Cavs just fired David Blatt according to Woj's twitter.

Confirmed.

Clearly Lebron wants to coach this team.
YMMV

« Reply #17173 on: January 22, 2016, 04:08:11 PM »
I don't really give a shit about the NBA anymore, but I got an ESPN alert about it and was really confused. You're 30-11 and fire your coach?

Did the dude piss off LeBron or something?
野球

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17174 on: January 22, 2016, 04:10:53 PM »
I don't really give a shit about the NBA anymore, but I got an ESPN alert about it and was really confused. You're 30-11 and fire your coach?

Did the dude piss off LeBron or something?

Yup. He apparently doesn't play the right players on the court nor does he understand defense at all. According to Lebrons facial mannerisms on the sideline.
YMMV

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #17175 on: January 22, 2016, 04:11:54 PM »
Should be some interesting stories on how that went down.  I mean...has there ever been a firing like this before?
vin

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17176 on: January 22, 2016, 04:19:22 PM »
Should be some interesting stories on how that went down.  I mean...has there ever been a firing like this before?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14627529/david-blatt-fired-cleveland-cavaliers-coach

According to this it looks like they were coordinating with Lue to get this done behind the scenes. Lebron must have exploded after the GE game.
YMMV

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #17177 on: January 22, 2016, 04:23:34 PM »
The surprising part to me is that there weren't any real leaks before this.  Way less whispering about Blatt's job than last year, when he actually kept it.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17178 on: January 22, 2016, 04:27:28 PM »
The surprising part to me is that there weren't any real leaks before this.  Way less whispering about Blatt's job than last year, when he actually kept it.

In my head I see Lebron telling Gilbert to get this done right after the GS disaster. Lue has been waiting in the wings since he was hired. It was a matter of time but I thought for sure he'd get two seasons, Christ.
YMMV

Steve Contra

« Reply #17179 on: January 22, 2016, 04:35:33 PM »
Straight up signed Lue to a multi year deal.  Lebron close to being that player coach Mandark keeps wishing to see again.
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #17180 on: January 22, 2016, 04:39:19 PM »
"David Blatt told friends in Israel last week, "It's either me or Kevin Love." Just surprised LeBron didn't decide sooner..." - @PeterVecsey1

Steve Contra

« Reply #17181 on: January 22, 2016, 04:40:52 PM »
This also means Lue will most likely be the coach of the East's all star squad.  The disrespect brehs :dead
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #17182 on: January 22, 2016, 04:46:39 PM »
Too bad I'm too busy to listen to sports radio right now. Imagine all the "wow, Jordan would NEVER do this  :doge" calls happening right now
:lawd

Doug Collins :tocry

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #17183 on: January 22, 2016, 05:29:37 PM »
Straight up signed Lue to a multi year deal.  Lebron close to being that player coach Mandark keeps wishing to see again.

Pretty sure that's Bill Simmons, not me.  Giving that contract to Lue seems a bit silly right now, but if he's the guy LeBron wants he'd probably be around next year anyway.

Curry and Golden State just leaving a trail of bodies in their wake.  Everyone they beat in the playoffs has looked disappointing this year (and only Memphis still has the same coach), they retired Kobe and got Blatt fired.  Lord.

Steve Contra

« Reply #17184 on: January 22, 2016, 05:41:41 PM »

Pretty sure that's Bill Simmons, not me.  Giving that contract to Lue seems a bit silly right now, but if he's the guy LeBron wants he'd probably be around next year anyway.
http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=34662.msg1413020#msg1413020

:ufup
vin

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #17185 on: January 22, 2016, 05:42:43 PM »
Previous comment retracted!

:yeshrug

Steve Contra

« Reply #17186 on: January 22, 2016, 05:44:23 PM »
I have no idea why I remembered that.
vin

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17187 on: January 22, 2016, 05:53:18 PM »
Woke up from a nap to the news.

Interesting.

I was never especially a fan of Blatt so the firing on that end doesn't bother me, but its more like I'm doubtful the cavs will make the necessary fundamental changes to their offense needed to compete with the Warriors or the Spurs. So I think the same problems will persist on that end.

I mean I get firing Blatt if you are bringing in Rick Carlise or some huge coach like Phil Jackson. But no disrespect to Lue, I'm a little skeptical that he is some x's and o's genius. We'll see. The most likely situation is they will continue along at roughly the same course and trajectory.

I do feel a bit for Blatt as any winning coach who gets fired does but its not like this doesn't happen in the NBA. Although Blatt is the most extreme case since its a currently ongoing season and not at the end of a season. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:58:06 PM by Stoney Mason »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #17188 on: January 22, 2016, 06:05:39 PM »
Fuck Lebron.
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #17189 on: January 22, 2016, 06:07:43 PM »

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=34662.msg1413020#msg1413020

:ufup

Lots of basketball related Ls going around amongst the chosen people today  :doge

ToxicAdam

Re: The NBA thread (End of the Blatt era)
« Reply #17190 on: January 22, 2016, 07:29:48 PM »
Laughing at all the people (in the GAF thread) stanning for David Blatt. He was a dud, not only as an in-game coach but as a spokesman for the team.  Too thin-skinned and not always on the same page as the organization (or Lebron).

I feel bad for him, because he was brought into a no-win situation, but it wasn't like he made the best of the situation either.

Steve Contra

« Reply #17191 on: January 22, 2016, 07:37:11 PM »
Blatt was gone after this season if they didn't win a ring, that much was obvious.  But if this goes sideways and they say, fail to make the championship (something that seemed like a given barring anything unforeseen, say a major coaching change mid season when they lead the East) people are going to really start wondering about LeBron.
vin

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17192 on: January 22, 2016, 07:41:10 PM »
There will be interesting stories to come out, I'm sure in the next few months that will detail all the stuff that went down. But just watching them it often didn't feel right relative to the talent level. I remember when Blatt first arrived there was all this talk about a sophisticated european offense that was to come.

They ran like these little weaves at the top of the key in the first pre-season and then that went away and never came back. So the narrative sort of changed that Blatt was actually a defensive guru instead.

Ultimately it feels like Blatt was never able to implement what he wanted to bring over. Whether that's because of coaching deficiencies, lack of power to force the stars to play differently, or whatever is hard to say. I feel like just about any competent coach could have achieved what he achieved in this situation. I never felt like he was a plus on the sidelines. Just a neutral influence at best.

I'm sure he will get another chance in the league and we'll see how that goes. It was definitely a tough situation to be put into when expectations are championship or bust.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #17193 on: January 22, 2016, 07:53:39 PM »
I have no idea why I remembered that.

It was fun reading that quote, cause I was thinking "I don't remember really pulling for a player-coach, but it would be fun to see... like a brokered convention!"  I'm swiftly becoming the old guy who keeps telling the same three anecdotes.

Blatt was in a rough position from the start, since he was brought in before LeBron came back, to a team which was going to have a much different roster and set of expectations.  I have no idea how well his offense would translate to the NBA, but Stoney's right that it basically got scrapped right away in favor of just running spread pick-and-roll.  Which isn't the worst thing, they put up huge numbers last year when Love, Kyrie, and LeBron were healthy in the second half.

Cleveland's main problem is they're "just" a contender in a year that has two all-time teams.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17194 on: January 22, 2016, 08:01:02 PM »

Cleveland's main problem is they're "just" a contender in a year that has two all-time teams.

It's not just Cleveland. Even though nobody talks about it, I feel like the Thunder or the Clippers or any other good team are in the exact same situation. When you watch the Spurs and Warriors play, it just feels like solved basketball. Like they've figured out the most efficient way to play modern basketball and its from everything to the players, to the coaches, to the organizational approach. Yeah they can lose, but it takes such a huge breakdown over a 7 game series, that it seems so very unlikely. It doesn't feel like these other top tier teams can adapt despite whatever lip service they give.

So that's my problem with the coaching change. Unless it brings that philosophy or magically a better philosophy will it make a difference. I'm not even saying Lue won't do a better job than Blatt which is why I'm in favor of the change. But will it make such a huge difference that when I watch the Cavs play by the end of the year, I'll say, yep this team can beat the Warriors. I doubt it.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17195 on: January 22, 2016, 09:16:44 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17196 on: January 23, 2016, 01:26:50 AM »
INDEPENDENCE, Ohio – Player accountability, mismanaging, a building frustration and the absence of hope led to David Blatt's ouster as head coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Despite a 30-11 record, the defending Eastern Conference champs lost belief.

A team that loses faith in the leader on the sidelines is destined to eventually fail. But management recognized it and was forced to make the jaw-dropping decision that ended Blatt's tenure with the organization after an 83-40 record in one and a half seasons.

The record doesn't illustrate the turmoil and animosity that went on behind the scenes and how it ultimately led to Tyronn Lue becoming head coach. It all stemmed from issues from last year which were never quite resolved.

During the first portion of the 2014-15 season, film sessions were a topic of discussion among the players. Blatt was reluctant to criticize star players even when they clearly messed up a play. This became routine. It got so bad that I'm told that Lue finally intervened, stood up and demanded that somebody rewind the footage so that he could get on members of The Big 3.

During team scrimmages, players competed aggressively but bit their tongues as Blatt frequently blew his whistle to call ticky-tack or phantom fouls for his go-to players. One player said sometimes Blatt didn't even have a whistle and would yell at the top of his lungs to stop play and call a foul if one of his stars acted as if he was hit.

It was viewed as a blatant attempt to get in the good graces of his top talent. Blatt's leadership was in question. Players grew tired of this treatment. The locker room started resenting Blatt's handling, or lack thereof, when it came to dealing with his stars.

Word circulated to cleveland.com that Blatt had trouble drawing up plays out of timeouts. He would freeze up and waste precious seconds, one player said. He would even draw up plays for players who weren't in the game, another player said.

In the closeout game of the Eastern Conference Finals, a game the Cavaliers trounced the Atlanta Hawks by 30 to sweep the series; Blatt had signaled for Tristan Thompson to reenter in the closing minutes with the game already wrapped up. This was when Thompson was the team's most valuable big man with Kevin Love out of commission with a dislocated shoulder.

The bench couldn't believe it. They were shocked, as was Thompson, who never questions authority. LeBron James told Blatt to put somebody else in the game, out of concern a key cog might get hurt before The Finals, a league source said. Kendrick Perkins got the nod, and a few minutes later, Brendan Haywood's number was called to finish it out.

This season, Blatt almost didn't make it past 2015. The 29-point road trouncing at the hands of the Damian Lillard-less Portland Trail Blazers on Dec. 26 was close to being his next-to-last game. If it wasn't for a unimpressive win over Phoenix two days later, Blatt would have been shown the door the following morning, cleveland.com has learned.

Lue's connection with the players is rock solid, with a reputation for understanding how to manage personalities. He has played with two of the league's biggest personalities -- Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant -- and he's been coached by some of the greats.

Blatt didn't have the necessary relationship with his guys to get players to buy in. Lue is expected to hold players accountable. He's not afraid to give James a piece of his mind. Players from 1 down to 15 will be held responsible.

But this predicament wasn't Blatt's fault. He didn't sign up for this roster. He was brought in to be a teacher and help mold a young Kyrie Irving, a younger Andrew Wiggins and a young, fiery Dion Waiters. He had to adjust on the fly while coaching one of the most talented rosters in the league.

His accomplishments while at the helm shouldn't go unappreciated. He allowed his coaching staff to have bigger roles than what most head coaches would permit. He understood the learning curve he faced and trusted his staff to help him through it.

In the end, his inexperience at the top level of the game was too much to overcome on a team in championship or bust mode. The notion developed that he was holding the team back. Monday's Golden State Warriors' beat down at The Q on national television set the stage. Wednesday night in Brooklyn, the Cavaliers didn't act like a team that had just snatched up a nice bounce-back road win. I'm told the team had a defeated disposition immediately after.

The organization -- especially David Griffin -- knew it was time.

Lue will have only have led the team for 11 games, but will likely coach the Eastern Conference All-Stars in Toronto next month. Timing is everything.

Unfortunately for Blatt, he ran out of time when the team ran out of hope.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2016/01/why_david_blatt_got_fired_and.html

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #17197 on: January 23, 2016, 02:01:51 AM »
Woj also wrote a behind-the-scenes piece.  They're both basically strategic PR leaks, only from different sides.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17198 on: January 23, 2016, 02:04:25 AM »
Yeah I saw that one also. Guess we'll have to wait for the 30 for 30 15 years from now.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17199 on: January 23, 2016, 05:28:04 PM »

Also Bulls versus Cavs tonight on ABC. ABC starting saturday night basketball.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #17200 on: January 23, 2016, 10:29:42 PM »
hmmmmmmm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17201 on: January 25, 2016, 01:43:03 PM »

ToxicAdam

« Reply #17202 on: January 25, 2016, 02:08:57 PM »
Heh, ironically not his first time he's said that. I heard him say it on Kornheiser's show before, but that's not national.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17203 on: January 25, 2016, 02:51:29 PM »
GM Lebron is his own biggest opponent. We look like we are ran by a 12 year old who's primary basketball experience is 2K/16
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17204 on: January 25, 2016, 06:32:16 PM »
Warriors versus Spurs tonight.

Steve Contra

« Reply #17205 on: January 25, 2016, 06:33:39 PM »
Warriors versus Spurs tonight.
:whew

Can't remember a regular season game I've been more excited for.
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #17206 on: January 25, 2016, 06:34:20 PM »
10:30PM
:beli

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #17207 on: January 25, 2016, 06:44:47 PM »
10:30PM
:beli

Cutting into your time playing the inferior arpg?

:heh
yar

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17208 on: January 26, 2016, 12:36:12 AM »
Well that was a crushing

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17209 on: January 26, 2016, 11:21:53 AM »
Well that was a crushing

This season has taught me two things

1) I really want to hate the warriors but I can't

2) The Cavs ain't winning jack shit.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #17211 on: January 28, 2016, 03:15:01 AM »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17212 on: January 28, 2016, 11:06:41 AM »

Ha Ha that kid is right by our seats. He is fucking awesome.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17213 on: January 28, 2016, 03:15:53 PM »
NBA announces Sting will headline the @NBAAllStar halftime show

:goty2

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #17214 on: January 30, 2016, 08:57:56 AM »
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:30:10 AM by Hyoushi »
地平線

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17215 on: January 30, 2016, 10:21:47 PM »
Probably the Cavs most impressive performance of the year so far.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #17216 on: January 31, 2016, 05:41:57 AM »
地平線

benjipwns

« Reply #17217 on: February 01, 2016, 06:36:39 AM »
Jeff Hornacek gone:
Jeff Hornacek has reportedly reached the end of the road with the Phoenix Suns a month after they decided to give their coach and popular former player a second chance.

According to Yahoo! Sports, Hornacek was relieved of his duties in a conversation with general manager Ryan McDonough on Sunday night after a loss to the Dallas Mavericks -- their 19th defeat of 21 games and 14th straight on the road.

Phoenix began the season with playoff aspirations after posting records of 48-34 and 39-43 in Hornacek's first two seasons, and after the offseason signing of center Tyson Chandler.

Sources had told ESPN in late December that the Suns, despite the organization's well-known fondness for Hornacek, were forced to contemplate a coaching change far sooner than they hoped because of a slide that had dropped them to 11th place in the Western Conference. There was also a growing fear within the organization that the team was no longer responding to its head coach.

On Sunday, having fallen into 13th place at 14-35 in the 15-team West, the Suns decided the time was now to start over, according to the reports.

The Washington Post also reported Hornacek's firing early Monday morning.

One of the Suns' assistant coaches, either Corey Gaines or Earl Watson, was expected to be named the interim head coach, according to the Yahoo! Sports report.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17218 on: February 01, 2016, 04:59:47 PM »
The Cleveland Cavaliers have been invigorated over the past week following game plan changes by new coach Tyronn Lue, but it hasn't been the only event that has positively affected the team.

Following a meeting called by general manager David Griffin to inform the team that coach David Blatt had been fired, Cavs players held an extended and spirited players-only meeting, sources told ESPN.com. It turned into an airing of grievances, including by stars LeBron James, Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving, but eventually led to an agreement that has been a basis for the Cavs' recent strong play.

"It was like ripping off a scab," one team source said. "And it was exactly what needed to happen. I think it was what [Griffin] was hoping for."

Said another source: "It was very healthy for the team. It probably needed to happen weeks ago."

A central issue in the discussion, sources said, was the need for accountability within the team. One of the issues that was keeping the team from enjoying some of the successes of the season was the different set of rules for some players compared to others.

In what could turn out to be a key moment in their tenures together, James, Irving and Love came to an understanding that they needed to police each other on certain matters and use their influence within the team to set a standard for accountability, sources said. That was frequently a missing component over the past season and a half, sometimes creating friction.

Sources told ESPN.com's Dave McMenamin that James, Irving and Love led the conversation, owning up to personal faults and using the open forum to express what they expected out of their teammates.

"It's the type of conversation that only comes out when it's time for that conversation, if you know what I mean," a source said. The discussion got contentious at times, though sources said that it was expected.

James compared some of the Cleveland situation to his time with the Miami Heat. Other players challenged James on his need to set a stronger example, including with his effort level when he becomes frustrated, sources said.

Veteran James Jones played a key role in the gathering, both in bringing the players together and encouraging discussion, sources told McMenamin. Jones, whom players call by his nickname, "Champ," carries significant respect in the locker room.

Griffin asked Jones to organize the meeting. Players were told they were being called together to report to the Cavs' practice facility on their off day for a team matter. After Griffin addressed the team for 15 minutes and told them Lue was being promoted to head coach, the players stayed and discussed matters for around an hour. Lue did not address the team until the following morning at shootaround.

The Cavs lost their first game afterward to the Chicago Bulls, scoring just 83 points. But the mood in the locker room after the disappointing loss was more upbeat than following a quality home win over the Los Angeles Clippers 48 hours earlier.

The team has won the following four games including a 14-point win over the San Antonio Spurs on Saturday. Lue's focus on more active offense has seen the Cavs average 115 points during the winning streak.

After promising more elbow touches for Love, the forward has averaged nearly six elbow touches per game since Lue took over, an increase of 50 percent per game from his previous average, according to player tracking data on NBA.com. The new coach has also encouraged more aggressive play from Irving and altered rotations in an attempt to find space within games to feature each of the team's stars.

In both wins over the weekend, James, Irving and Love each scored more than 20 points, the first two times that that has happened this season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14690965/cleveland-cavaliers-finding-success-holding-players-only-meeting

benjipwns

« Reply #17219 on: February 06, 2016, 06:15:55 AM »