Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519489 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The NBA thread (Playoff-Time)
« Reply #17640 on: May 09, 2016, 11:04:54 PM »
Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry will be named NBA Most Valuable Player for a second straight season, according to league sources.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #17641 on: May 10, 2016, 01:34:03 AM »
Steph's back

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #17642 on: May 10, 2016, 03:07:23 AM »

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #17643 on: May 10, 2016, 07:23:02 AM »
It's like the Cavs and GS are competing as to who can break more records in these playoffs, it's bizarre.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17644 on: May 10, 2016, 10:29:20 PM »
Wow. Heck of a finish here by OKC.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17645 on: May 10, 2016, 10:30:32 PM »
Spurs ded
©@©™

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #17646 on: May 11, 2016, 12:18:42 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17647 on: May 11, 2016, 01:49:04 PM »

Fifstar

« Reply #17648 on: May 12, 2016, 10:19:03 AM »
Little tidbit about Currys shooting: he is shooting around 70% from 3 foot or less, the next best PGs are shooting around 60% from that distance. He has numbers that otherwise only get reached by centers or big athletic guys like Durant.
Gulp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #17649 on: May 12, 2016, 11:08:22 AM »
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17650 on: May 12, 2016, 05:20:59 PM »
I'm supposed to be rooting for the the Heat, but I'm rooting for Toronto.

:-[

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17651 on: May 12, 2016, 08:34:13 PM »
Spurs up against it tonight.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #17652 on: May 12, 2016, 08:47:03 PM »
Shit.  I think I'm gonna watch the Predators game instead of the Spurs/Thunder game  :'(

this is the first time I've chosen hockey over basketball
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17654 on: May 12, 2016, 09:26:08 PM »
lol these niccas are done
😈

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17655 on: May 12, 2016, 10:57:47 PM »
Damn impressive series for the Thunder especially after that first game.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #17656 on: May 12, 2016, 10:58:56 PM »
end of an era brehs

El Babua

« Reply #17657 on: May 12, 2016, 11:58:10 PM »
Duncan :tocry

I'm supposed to be rooting for the the Heat, but I'm rooting for Toronto.

:-[

Fukk the Raptors

benjipwns

« Reply #17658 on: May 13, 2016, 03:58:54 AM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15517163/scott-skiles-tells-orlando-magic-stepping-down

That's odd
Justin Termine ‎@TermineRadio
My sources tell me Skiles told Hennigan he made mistake taking job in mid-Jan, before backtracking & telling him it was momentary insanity.

Hennigan was pissed at Skiles because he harassed the DeVos family w calls & texts to land job, then said in mid-Jan he no longer wanted it.

Hennigan wanted to tell the DeVos family of Skiles admission that he made mistake taking job... CEO Alex Martins recommended they not.

1st hint of Skiles' discontent came when he told Ast Adrian Griffin he made mistake... Griffin hesitated, but eventually went to management.

According to my sources Hennigan, Martins & Griffin were only ones within org to know of Skiles admitting he no longer wanted job.
Josh Robbins ✔ ‎@JoshuaBRobbins
There was certainly a disconnect between Scott Skiles & GM Rob Hennigan. A few disagreements on personnel & on the mindset of the team.

Certainly, one of the disagreements between Hennigan and Skiles was Skiles' opinion on the Magic's point guard situation.

Hennigan and the front office backed (and still back) Elfrid Payton as the PG of the future. Skiles did not. But that's just 1 issue.

https://twitter.com/EvanFourmizz/status/730761941963157504

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17659 on: May 13, 2016, 07:22:12 AM »
end of an era brehs

:tocry

Always liked the Spurs. They'll be back in a couple of years. They have some big shoes to fill.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17660 on: May 14, 2016, 07:28:20 AM »
This Hawks/Heat series is now becoming cringeworthy as they are really battling for a right to go down 0-4 to the Cavs.

Thunder/GS is the only series that matters currently.

If everybody stays healthy it's going to be a great finals match up whether it's GS-Cavs 2 (which everybody wants, and now they are getting chippy) or Thunder (Durant is unreal right now).

Bad mad Steph versus mad Bron has potential to become an all time classic series like Lakers/Celtics 2.

For the record, I'm sticking with my pick. Healthy Cavs take it this year and Golden State will take the rubber match in 2017 and Steph will officially be the best player on the planet until/if Ben Simmons develops any kind of mid range game. Lebron is going out swinging. But everybody is a victim of time.

Lebron is going to go out as the second best player of all time. Ain't no damn shame in that.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:34:25 AM by Am_I_Anonymous »
YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #17661 on: May 14, 2016, 08:52:25 AM »
Westbrook has been pretty damn vicious too. Him and Curry should be fun.

Enes Kanter off the bench has been a quietly effective big all year for them though I can't really think of a way to play him more because of that bad defense and OKC's thin perimeter. Weird thing is that other than him, their bench hasn't been too impressive in the playoffs. At least Morrow was nailing threes during the season.

Donovan's going to have a juggle things a bit more against the Warriors lineup.

benjipwns

« Reply #17662 on: May 14, 2016, 09:28:00 AM »
One little side comment, I never thought Draymond Green would ever be this good. I thought he could be like a cheap Anthony Mason type with a bit more range, but shit, he plays better than he ever did at State. And gets better seemingly with every month.

Makes me start to reconsider Denzel Valentine's potential value since he made similar year after year improvements at State but was never really killing people until the end of his junior and into his senior year. (His leap into triple double territory was kinda like Green with last years playoffs into this season.)

Deyonta Davis is still the best player from last years team. He was too smart to play with most of the rest of that team. But then I'm always falling in love with skinny high efficiency scorers who somehow control the offensive boards and block shots. Brandan Wright. :-\

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17663 on: May 14, 2016, 09:32:02 AM »
One little side comment, I never thought Draymond Green would ever be this good. I thought he could be like a cheap Anthony Mason type with a bit more range, but shit, he plays better than he ever did at State. And gets better seemingly with every month.

Makes me start to reconsider Denzel Valentine's potential value since he made similar year after year improvements at State but was never really killing people until the end of his junior and into his senior year. (His leap into triple double territory was kinda like Green with last years playoffs into this season.)

Deyonta Davis is still the best player from last years team. He was too smart to play with most of the rest of that team. But then I'm always falling in love with skinny high efficiency scorers who somehow control the offensive boards and block shots. Brandan Wright. :-\

Talking Sparty bullshit to a Blue alum :pacspit

Anyway yeah Green is a great player. I thought he was a steal where he was picked us but I also had him down as a budget Rodman type. I have him as a top 10 player in the league now and good on him. I got nothing bad to say about him but that I hate it when my Cavs play him. Which is actually a compliment.

And people can laugh if they want but he's one of the hardest people to D up in the league. Period.

YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #17664 on: May 14, 2016, 09:48:44 AM »
MSU prospects have been pretty underwhelming over the last decade so it was interesting to see a second round senior become a dominant game changer on an all-time team. I remember the Marcus Taylor nonsense fondly. Kelvin Torbert, though he wasn't a draft prospect by the time that was over. Maurice Ager was temporarily a lottery guy even though he couldn't score. Gary Harris flamed out his first season pretty impressively.

Even with that knowledge, Adreian Payne has underwhelmed me. Figured for sure he could be a decent third string stretch four but I guess the NBA line is too far outside his range to make that work.

Green's success has gotten Valentine a bunch of hype that I wonder how much he deserves, but at times he was nuts. Some of the draft reports seem to indicate teams are afraid he might be another Green type project that would be dumb to miss. But they also thought that about Dawson.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17665 on: May 14, 2016, 09:53:02 AM »
Mateen Cleaves :kobeyuck
YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #17666 on: May 14, 2016, 10:26:23 AM »
He was the Pistons pre-game/half-time/post-game analyst then he got arrested for sexual assault on a 24 year old.

Now it's Grant Long!

On March 16, 2016, Cleaves was charged with unlawful imprisonment, assault with intent to commit criminal sexual penetration, second-degree criminal sexual conduct and two counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17667 on: May 14, 2016, 12:10:06 PM »
He was the Pistons pre-game/half-time/post-game analyst then he got arrested for sexual assault on a 24 year old.

Now it's Grant Long!

On March 16, 2016, Cleaves was charged with unlawful imprisonment, assault with intent to commit criminal sexual penetration, second-degree criminal sexual conduct and two counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct.

Yeah I knew that dude. He was always pushy with gals. I have no doubt he did this. It's unfortunate.
YMMV

El Babua

« Reply #17668 on: May 15, 2016, 06:10:06 PM »
Good job, good effort Heat.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #17669 on: May 15, 2016, 06:21:12 PM »
go easy on these dinos, lebron

El Babua

« Reply #17670 on: May 15, 2016, 09:04:01 PM »
Predictions: Cavs in 5. Lebron gets caught sleeping on the bench in one of these games.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17671 on: May 16, 2016, 08:13:03 AM »
Predictions: Cavs in 5. Lebron gets caught sleeping on the bench in one of these games.

Cavs aren't losing a game in the east. Lebrons ego won't let them.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17672 on: May 16, 2016, 01:53:33 PM »
Raptors played the Cavs very well this year. They won the season series and the Cavs had a hard time stopping Lowry.

The post-season is a different beast though. The Cavs stars will all play heavy minutes. And the smaller cavs rotation has been working wonders.

I'm thinking either 4-1 or 4-2 Cavs.

Cavs fans also should be rooting heavily for the Thunder. Cavs can match Thunder. Warriors not so much.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17673 on: May 16, 2016, 01:58:27 PM »
Raptors played the Cavs very well this year. They won the season series and the Cavs had a hard time stopping Lowry.

The post-season is a different beast though. The Cavs stars will all play heavy minutes. And the smaller cavs rotation has been working wonders.

I'm thinking either 4-1 or 4-2 Cavs.

Cavs fans also should be rooting heavily for the Thunder. Cavs can match Thunder. Warriors not so much.

A dead Cavs team took 2 games from Golden State. Don't be so confident bud. I say healthy Cavs are the best team in the playoffs.
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #17674 on: May 16, 2016, 11:36:11 PM »
this shot selection  :goty2

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #17675 on: May 17, 2016, 12:12:58 AM »
Thunder won ugly.  Warriors also didn't shoot very well.  I still think warriors win in six, but warriors are definitely Beatable
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17676 on: May 17, 2016, 12:29:48 AM »
Some of their wins against the Spurs were of the ugly variety. They find a way to keep doing it though.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #17678 on: May 17, 2016, 03:12:36 AM »
So NBA teams are now allowed to have a single, small ad on their jerseys ? How many years before it's as disastrous as football jerseys in Europe ? I'd say 10...
ὕβρις

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17679 on: May 17, 2016, 08:24:11 AM »
If Durant goes through LeBron to chip this year :aah

Nobody is beating the Cavs, lol. You're so thirsty. Sorry Lebron will be remembered as a better player than Kobe by everyone else but you.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17680 on: May 17, 2016, 11:11:47 AM »
It has nothing to do with Kobe. I just want to see KD get revenge for 2012.

It wouldn't kill me to see KD get a title and stay in Okc.

YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17681 on: May 17, 2016, 08:32:21 PM »
The Philadelphia 76ers, who wrapped up the third year of former GM Sam Hinkie's tanking plan with a league-worst 10-72 record, landed the first pick of the 2016 NBA draft in the league's annual lottery.

Entering the lottery, Philadelphia had an NBA-high 26.9 percent chance of landing the top pick.

The Los Angeles Lakers landed the second pick, with the Boston Celtics drawing the third choice, the Phoenix Suns the fourth and the Minnesota Timberwolves the fifth.

The Sixers, who hired Bryan Colangelo as president of basketball operations, drafted Joel Embiid and Jahlil Okafor in the top three in each of the past two drafts.

Philadelphia entered the lottery hoping the Lakers would not land a top-three pick; due to the protections negotiated into the 2012 Steve Nash trade, the Lakers had to send their pick to the Sixers if it was outside the top three. The Lakers, who finished a dreadful 17-65 and now must transition into the post-Kobe Bryant era, had a 55.8 percent chance to land a top-three pick.

Boston was hoping to strike lottery luck after being haunted by the draft lottery ghosts of Tim Duncan and Len Bias in the past. The Celtics, who had never owned the first overall pick in the draft era, were armed with three first-round picks, including the Brooklyn Nets' pick from the Paul Pierce-Kevin Garnett trade.

Boston, in fact, can swap picks with Brooklyn next year and will have the Nets' first-rounder in 2018 along with Memphis' top-eight protected pick in 2019. The Celtics, who own eight total picks in this draft, have only had a top-four pick four times in the common draft era, selecting Chauncey Billups (1997), Bias (1986), Kevin McHale (1980) and Dave Cowens (1970).

:goty2

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #17682 on: May 17, 2016, 08:40:17 PM »
HINKIE VINDICATED

TRUST THE PROCESS

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17683 on: May 17, 2016, 08:42:23 PM »
HINKIE VINDICATED

TRUST THE PROCESS

I was thinking the same fucking thing, unironically. Outside of the Embid miss they are on their way.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17684 on: May 17, 2016, 08:54:09 PM »
Cavs starting out 9/13 and taking the Raptors best shot?

YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #17685 on: May 17, 2016, 09:35:51 PM »
Gonna jump out the window and say Simmons will be a disappointment in the NBA.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
mandark is going to quote this post in like 4 years
[close]

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17686 on: May 17, 2016, 09:42:45 PM »
Gonna jump out the window and say Simmons will be a disappointment in the NBA.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
mandark is going to quote this post in like 4 years
[close]

I agree. Engram is the right pick.
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #17687 on: May 17, 2016, 09:48:00 PM »
My god cleveland
püp

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17688 on: May 17, 2016, 09:48:32 PM »
My god cleveland

:hitler

I've been telling y'all.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17689 on: May 17, 2016, 09:49:52 PM »
Oh by ththe way, at half. 70% shooting from close.

:mynicca

You can't stop the Prophet.

Edit: or that Nike profit. Damn.
YMMV

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #17690 on: May 17, 2016, 09:52:16 PM »
dinos going extinct  :stahp

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17691 on: May 17, 2016, 09:52:59 PM »

Thinking you had a chance

:dunno

You been watching these Cavs? Nobody is beating us.
YMMV

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #17692 on: May 17, 2016, 09:59:42 PM »
I didn't think they'd win a game, but at least hoped they'd be somewhat close

no way are the cavs losing a game being well rested and on a shooting streak, raps have looked awful most of the time

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17693 on: May 17, 2016, 10:01:26 PM »
I didn't think they'd win a game, but at least hoped they'd be somewhat close

no way are the cavs losing a game being well rested and on a shooting streak, raps have looked awful most of the time

Quote me now. We won't lose more than 3 games from here on out.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17694 on: May 17, 2016, 10:07:26 PM »
So far this game is comical.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17695 on: May 17, 2016, 10:08:44 PM »
Lebron is 9-9 from the field.

Where's the shooting woes defenders?

YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17696 on: May 17, 2016, 10:09:07 PM »
Was playing Rocket League. Just tuned in. What's been the story of the game so far?

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17697 on: May 17, 2016, 10:10:49 PM »
Was playing Rocket League. Just tuned in. What's been the story of the game so far?

Lebron is God.
YMMV

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #17698 on: May 17, 2016, 10:21:01 PM »
Lebron is 9-9 from the field.

Where's the shooting woes defenders?

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17699 on: May 17, 2016, 10:22:23 PM »
Don't hate. Play defense. Oh wait, they can't.
YMMV